Can you attribute your success to a computer game?

By robinw in Culture
Wed Dec 06, 2000 at 04:55:54 PM EST
Tags: Software (all tags)
Software

One of the founders of my company decided to give me a lift home last week. On the way, he mentioned something along the lines of “Those who focus on a trade, especially from an early age are 1000 times more likely to be successful”. He’s absolutely correct. Thinking back, and recognizing all the efforts of the co-workers I’ve had in the past, I realize that the best workers are those who are genuinely interested in their work, and not those who are in it for the money.

I’m a senior web developer, by the way.

It got me thinking about how much I’ve achieved in my 21 years of life thus far. I have a great job that pays well, a nice apartment in downtown Toronto and a steady girlfriend who lives with me. I have all the nice things I want, a fast computer, a large screen TV and a DVD player. And the reason I’ve been able to achieve so much is because I focused on computer programming as a trade since I was about 7 years old. When other kids spent hours watching the TV every day, I’d be writing shareware games and uploading them to local a local BBS.

I can remember the exact, pivotal point of my childhood when I became interested in computers. It wasn’t when my father brought home the very first IBM PC ever released and put it in our home office. It wasn’t when my dad showed me simple BASIC programs he created with my name in them. It was because of King’s Quest.

It sounds silly, but it’s true. Were it not for the first graphical, 3rd Person video game released on the IBM PC, I would not be where I am today. King’s Quest taught me how to spell, how to read and how to write. I spent weeks adventuring throughout Daventry, trying to collect the Magic Mirror, Treasure Chest and Shield that would allow me to become the king.

To this day, I still remember the characters ‘ifnkovhgroghprm’ which will make the gnome give you the magic beans to plant a giant beanstalk. I remember waking up my mother at 6:30am asking “How do I spell stick?”

What I’m wondering now is this – how many other people were drawn into computers and programming in general because of games? Can anyone else attribute his or her level of nerdiness to something in 4-colors? Does anyone even remember King’s Quest these days?

What was your influential game?
o King's Quest 19%
o Adventure 17%
o Doom 17%
o Quake 8%
o Super Mario Brothers 22%
o Pong 8%
o Pac-Man 6%

o Also by robinw

Can you attribute your success to a computer game? | 46 comments (39 topical, 7 editorial, 0 hidden)
Interesting. (3.20 / 5) (#2)
by pb on Wed Dec 06, 2000 at 03:28:34 PM EST

I think the first game I had like that was "Legacy of the Ancients", for the C64. It was really an amazing game, and the PC version doesn't do it justice. Also, I played the Ultima games on the C64, and "Rags to Riches" was a lot of fun too.

But I can't give them that much credit; maybe that's because I was already 8 or 9 when I first got my C64. I do remember "inventing" a bubble sort when I wanted to sort a list of 10 or 20 words for Spelling class, though. I probably owe as much to tinkering around with BASIC programs as I do to computer games; they were both fascinating for me.

<EDITORIAL>
Ditch the Microsoft Quotes, and put it in Op-Ed; I still voted +1, Section.
</EDITORIAL>
-- pwhysall
Final Fantasy! (3.40 / 5) (#4)
by shirobara on Wed Dec 06, 2000 at 03:35:21 PM EST

I picked up FFII when I was in the fifth grade and my brother and I had just got a brand new SNES -- of course I got addicted. Shortly after, my family got AOL. Looking for other FF fans led to AOL chat rooms which eventually changed to IRC, which led to me making webpages and doing work on various MUDs, which led to me being interested in computers and programming in general. Now here I am, years later, with a brand new copy of FF9 waiting for me (when I'm done with finals), a very cool part-time job and a fellow Final Fantasy fan for a boyfriend. Glad I didn't pick up Zelda like I had intended.

In the future - I don't know. But it is rather teling that my immediate circle's general dream is to do some sort of cool video game thing, or to work at a pre-existing company; we all had the same kind of experiences.

Ultima 4 and Shanghai (2.00 / 6) (#5)
by farl on Wed Dec 06, 2000 at 03:37:17 PM EST

n/t

Farl
k5@sketchwork.com
www.sketchwork.com
I was just about to vote this down (3.75 / 4) (#8)
by rednecktek on Wed Dec 06, 2000 at 03:46:01 PM EST

then I remembered how I got started. ;)
I can't nail it down to one single game; although if I had to, it probably would have been that old text-adventure on the TRS-80. I don't know how many days/nights I spent in front of a VIC20/64 typing in code to play/do something.

I have two children now, my son has been working with computers since he could hold his arms still (babies love to flail their arms!). He helps his mother out with her work when she gets stuck. He restarts the DSL connection on the server if it goes down when I'm not there (yes, I let him have root). In short he has grown up with them and at some point may attribute his success to them; or possibly one particular game (Castles:Fisher Price). My daughter still has some arm flailing to do.

I believe the credit lies with the age of the person, not the game. The younger we are, the fewer inhibitions we have. Not just relating to computers but all tasks in general; not being afraid of something allows you to learn it more quickly and thoroughly.

Just remember, if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

Hehehe, games... (3.33 / 3) (#10)
by Strider on Wed Dec 06, 2000 at 04:03:29 PM EST

The C64 was the device that drove me to computers. Games, games, games. I think I had hundreds of games for that thing. I used to play Frogger, Defender, Threshold, Pole Position, Usagi Yojimbo, Space Invaders, Star Trek, Gauntlet, Rastan, One man and his droid, 1984, Avoid the noid, Z-pilot, Time Tunnel (I never could figure out what "The diamyo carries the staff meant...), Ms. Pac Man, Twin Kindom valley, Commando, etc... I first learned to program BASIC on that thing. Ahh, those were the days... I quit using computers for a while when the PC hit, and then I started again with our 386. I missed the earlier days of the internet though... too bad.

P.S. IDSPISPOPD (i know it's not C64, but most people don't remember this one anyway...)
"it's like having gravity suddenly replaced by cheez-whiz" - rusty

IDSPISPOPD (none / 0) (#12)
by Fireblade on Wed Dec 06, 2000 at 04:10:42 PM EST

Wasn't that from the original Doom? Can't remember what it was for though.

Yeah it was. (none / 0) (#14)
by Strider on Wed Dec 06, 2000 at 04:12:44 PM EST

The ID at the begginning gave it away i'm sure... As for what it did, that I will let someone else guess at...
"it's like having gravity suddenly replaced by cheez-whiz" - rusty
ahh... (2.50 / 2) (#19)
by Fireblade on Wed Dec 06, 2000 at 04:29:51 PM EST

no clipping

Yep, but only in the demo. (5.00 / 1) (#20)
by Smiling Dragon on Wed Dec 06, 2000 at 05:05:29 PM EST

Was a different code for the full release :) (Or was that the other way round?)

And can anyone else recall what it stands for? <grin>

-- Sometimes understanding is the booby prize - Neal Stephenson
SPISPOPD (4.00 / 2) (#26)
by Greyjack on Wed Dec 06, 2000 at 07:32:30 PM EST

SPISPOPD: smashing pumpkins into small piles of putrid debris.

/me bows and sits back down.

Here is my philosophy: Everything changes (the word "everything" has just changed as the word "change" has: it now means "no change") --Ron Padgett

Bah. (none / 0) (#34)
by escherIV on Thu Dec 07, 2000 at 12:33:57 AM EST

You beat me to it. (but I posted that before reading this...) *grin*

It was in an old text file with the cheat codes... IDDQD was Delta-Q-Delta... Those are the only two I remember... I think I still have that file on disk somewhere.....

Also, they actually made a shareware game of SPISPOPD. It was rather graphic considering you were just smashing pumpkins... overhead (Gauntlet style) gameplay, and it was a puzzle game... have that somewhere too... =)

SPISPOPD (2.00 / 1) (#33)
by escherIV on Thu Dec 07, 2000 at 12:31:01 AM EST

It turned on no-clipping...

Truly useless trivia: It stands for Smashing Pumpkins Into Small Piles Of Putrid Debris.. seriously.

Ahh King's Quest (4.00 / 3) (#11)
by retinaburn on Wed Dec 06, 2000 at 04:03:53 PM EST

I remember when my dad brought it home and started playing it on our IBM PC jr (i believe).

It was a game he "borrowed" from a friend at work, and as young as I was I was enthralled. To be able to move this little man around and watch him drown (made me sad) while he tried to enter the cave in the well. Laughing at his mystical drying powers when he left the lake.

The thing I remember most is not having a manual, so it was a very very very long time before we realized there was a "save" option. Yes we would try to complete the game in its entirity with one life. Whether you died against the ogre or against the dragon or drowned because you mis-spelled swim .....talk about frustrating. Since then I have bought many games and pirated few.

Jumpman was another great game...any others ?

I think that we are a young species that often fucks with things we don't know how to unfuck. -- Tycho

Ahh King's Quest (none / 0) (#15)
by retinaburn on Wed Dec 06, 2000 at 04:15:15 PM EST

I remember when my dad brought it home and started playing it on our IBM PC jr (if i remember correctly).

It was a game he had "borrowed" from a friend at work.

Despite the fact I could barely reach the keyboard when I was sitting I was enthralled. To be able to move this little man around and watch him drown (which made me sad) while trying to enter the cave at the bottom of the well. Laughing at his mystical drying powers when he left the lake, without a drop on him.

The thing I remember most is not having a manual, so it was a very very very long time before we ever realized there was a "save" option. Yes we would try to complete the game in its entirity with one life. Whether you died against the ogre or against the dragon or drowned because you mis-spelled swim you had one shot at it.....talk about frustrating. Since then I have bought many games and pirated few.

Jumpman was another great game...any others ?

Sorry...Faulty connection...stupid netscape 6 (none / 0) (#16)
by retinaburn on Wed Dec 06, 2000 at 04:21:35 PM EST

Computers at school (3.50 / 2) (#17)
by Mad Hughagi on Wed Dec 06, 2000 at 04:22:53 PM EST

Unfortunately my parents weren't quick on the whole 'lets get our kids into technology' concept so for the most part I only ever had console machines (Atari 2600 -> SNES) at home while I was growing up. (some of my friends had C64's but we didn't really spend much time fiddling with them)

Luckily, however, we always had a few Apple's kicking around at school and I'd go on and play games like Zork all the time. I can't remember what the names were of most of them, but there sure were some dandies. I was one of the kids who spent as many recesses as possible inside playing the computer instead of going out.

My computer use kind of faded once I got to highschool though, I didn't play too many games for a while, then when I was in grade 12 the pentium chips first came out and I managed to get enough money together to get my own machine - it was quite a day. I'd think that if it wasn't for games though I probably wouldn't have run into computers until university (and even then I wouldn't have had much to do with them since I'm in physics and computational work isn't too big yet). Since most of my co-op positions involve scientific programming I would have to say that my interests in computers paid off.

Besides the point that games exposed me to computers I would also like to think that they (and still do!) helped me with things like strategy, problem solving, imagination and whatnot. I still spend lots of time playing games like Baldurs Gate 2 and once in a while I'll fire up the FPS'ers for a release. So in the end I would have to say that games were a winning choice all around for me.

HUGHAGI INDUSTRIES

We don't make the products you like, we make you like the products we make.

Why I ended up in computers (4.00 / 3) (#18)
by Anonymous 242 on Wed Dec 06, 2000 at 04:25:09 PM EST

While I've always found computers interesting, I didn't really get into them until my second try at college. My first try at college, I dropped/flunked out. My first love was math and although I managed to pass Calculus I without studying or doing any homework, Calculus II kicked my butt into a death spiral from which I could not recover and I dropped out of the University.

So to the mines I went, working as a grunt in an unskilled service position (worse than fast food, it was a nursing home). While working I got married and when my wife graduated from the same university I dropped out of, I got to stay at home to be a house husband while she worked.

Boredom drove me to enroll at a local community college. Not working full time while taking classes helps a considerable bit in passing mathematics classes. Anyway, I chose CIS (computer information systems) because I didn't feel ready to attack Calculus again. A year or so into the program, I started working again and finished my two year degree in a combination of night school/indepencdant study over the next four years.

Now I do have fond memories of playing Jumpman for hours on my C64. I can't say that it inspired me to do anything except hit the start game button.

Flight Simulator (2.00 / 1) (#21)
by unstable on Wed Dec 06, 2000 at 05:15:03 PM EST

on an IBM (clone) XT "turbo"[1]
that is what got me into computers...the rest is as they say "history"

1: a whopping 3! mhz baby instead of the normal 2

Reverend Unstable
all praise the almighty Bob
and be filled with slack

Memories :) (4.00 / 3) (#22)
by Smiling Dragon on Wed Dec 06, 2000 at 05:17:14 PM EST

Talk about bringing back the memories! :)

All the games in the poll were too new, for me it was pteragon on the BBC. Written entirly in BASIC, little first person simulator where you'd fly around and shoot these odd little 2D polygons that I think were supposed to resemble birds. No ground, no scenery, just the birds. :) What a game!

That was my first introduction to computers, with my first BASIC program coming about half a year later.

I wish I could rememeber how old I was back then...

My C64 came quite late, I was in secondary school by then and had to save hard to afford it :) Anyone remember MULE? Or Mail Order Monsters?

First serial line game was on the school 286's playing megatron255 (anyone recall that game?) And then later playing Terminator on my physics teacher's 386's.

First network game was the demo of doom on a token ring network at IBM. Wow! First time I'd seen doom as well, I'd heard about this multiplayer, better graphics version of Wolf3d on Usenet but it was a good year later that I finally got to see it :)

-- Sometimes understanding is the booby prize - Neal Stephenson
Yeah... (4.00 / 1) (#31)
by kagaku_ninja on Wed Dec 06, 2000 at 09:48:03 PM EST

You were lucky, you had polygons. I didn't even have pixels ;-) My influential games were played on teletypes. Trader, wumpus, trek... Much later came Zork (the real Zork, not the watered down PC game)

Ah, King's Quest... (3.00 / 2) (#23)
by CubeDweller on Wed Dec 06, 2000 at 05:41:13 PM EST

I personally never got into the King's Quest series until number 3, but it was a great series.

For me the game that did it was Planetfall. The game was so simple. There was no graphics, so it made programming feel attainable. It seemed like something I could write, even before I knew anything about computers. I still remember being traumatized when Floyd the robot was killed. That and my fury when I found out I had to start the game over because I'd carried both magnetic boots and the magnetic access cards at the same time early on, and didn't discover my mistake until I'd played for hours and overwritten all my saves.

They had a sequel, Stationfall, that wasn't quite as good. The puzzles weren't as logical. You just had to randomly type commands until one worked. Some puzzles were good, though. Open the pulpit to get at the switch to turn off the eternal flame. Then walk through rooms spraying spores from an aerosol can so the little farting spore eating balloon creature from the zoo would follow you in the room. Then turn the eternal flame back on to scare the balloon creature so it would float upwards and lift you up to get the power source out of the nearby star-shaped light. Then use the power source to activate the vending machine so you could buy a detonator. But the detonator got stuck in the machine so you needed to get an ostrich from the zoo to stick its head up the machine to get the part out. No doubt I've got at least a few errors in there, but some of the sequences in the puzzles were ungodly long. Floyd ended up dead at the end of that game, too.

That company had dozens of really great text adventures. Ballyhoo, Bureaucracy... now I'm getting all wistfull from the memories. The atmosphere in those games was tremendous. There were parts in Ballyhoo that send more chills down my spine than any modern horror game. They had one really hard game (Starfall?) that I never did finish. One of your items was a blaster with a limited number of shots, and you needed three left by the end of the game to float yourself through an anti-gravity field to a control tower. I could never get to that point in the game with more than two shots remaining.

At age 11 I wrote my own text adventure game on my Apple IIc. It only had six rooms and two puzzles, but to this day I've never been as proud of anything I've written as I was with that first text game.

I would definitely shell out $40 if some company was willing to slap all of that company's old text adventures on one CD. I need the closure of figuring out how to get to the end of that game with three shots left. Damn. Now I'm going to be thinking about that game all afternoon...

Seth

Ah, King's Quest... oh and Infocom..... (5.00 / 1) (#25)
by white light on Wed Dec 06, 2000 at 07:03:00 PM EST

Planetfall, Suspended, Starfall (good one that), The Lurking Horror, Moonmist, and HHGG (and many others) all originally came from Infocom, now no longer.

HHGG and Starfall were my first two games, text based, and HHGG in particular made gave me inspiration to write my own text based game on my Apple IIc. I overestimated my expertise at the time, of course, and had to limit the game to only one city block, rather than nine as was my original intent. I was 13. Now I am a developer, and like CubeDweller, I was so proud of my own game.

But it took me forever to work out how to finish HHGG, which in my mind was harder than Starfall.

Should I attribute my 'success' to HHGG? Probably not. For, even though I spent a lot of time playing computer games in my youth, I spent just as much time learning the intricacies of my Apple, my 128D, and my 386.

..do you really want to help foster this type of laziness?
[OT] Floyd dies?! (none / 0) (#30)
by fluffy grue on Wed Dec 06, 2000 at 09:37:59 PM EST

Floyd dies?!

I never got very far in that game since last time I played it I was a kid and didn't have the patience to micromanage my vital stats.

So this came as a shock to me.

Floyd dies?!?!

/me curls up and sulks for a little while... :(
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Below The Root (2.00 / 1) (#24)
by CyberQuog on Wed Dec 06, 2000 at 05:58:47 PM EST

Ahhh, the first game i ever played. You know, after all these years i STILL havn't beaten it and I have the original floppy (actually floppy) disk around here somewhere....

-...-
First Game (5.00 / 1) (#28)
by the coose on Wed Dec 06, 2000 at 07:43:22 PM EST

I don't think the first game I ever played really influenced my later computer career. My first was Pong on one of those TV consoles. As I recall, it was quite a neat game for a while, but it got boring quickly. I think the game that made me want to study and learn computers was Star Raiders. I use to have an Atari 400 (yeah I did the BASIC programming thing, too) and this game really pushed that little 8 bit 6502 processor to the limits. I think it was the fact that it was 3-D, albeit very crude mind you. But still at the time (circa 1980) it was really cool.

Influence (5.00 / 1) (#32)
by CyberQuog on Wed Dec 06, 2000 at 10:33:10 PM EST

Yeh, my post was probably off topic, but it's fun to be nostalgic...
-...-
Pong (5.00 / 1) (#37)
by Chakotay on Thu Dec 07, 2000 at 06:34:43 AM EST

Pong is indeed also the first game I ever played, on our neighbour's C64. The first computer my parents bought was a 486SX33 with 4MB, getting me completely hooked on Civilization, Sim City 2000 and Xwing. The latter was litterally the largest thing that computer would ever be able to run, and I've worn out four joysticks playing it. The one that lasted longest was a Wingman Extreme. I still have it lying around somewhere, over 6 years old, with the rubber piece under the stick totally worn out and a lame fire button.

Oh, wait, almost forgot Master of Magic. The last game I got hooked on on that system, because soon after becoming bored with it I moved off to university, and got myself a brand new state of the art P133 that could even be overclocked to 166MHz!

Linux like wigwam. No windows, no gates, Apache inside.

Re: Pong (5.00 / 1) (#45)
by kagaku_ninja on Thu Dec 07, 2000 at 08:02:27 PM EST

Kids these days... I remember when Pong came out... The original coin-op. First arcade game I remember playing was this one where you flew an asteroid-style ship and dueled it out with two UFOs. Can't remember the name...

Robot Nim (3.00 / 2) (#27)
by Greyjack on Wed Dec 06, 2000 at 07:35:55 PM EST

I'd have to say mine was Robot Nim on a TRS-80 Model I back in '78 or '79 if I remember correctly. 4 color? I wish! Pixels on them buggers were about the size of your pinky nail :)

ANDROID Nim! (none / 0) (#36)
by Greyjack on Thu Dec 07, 2000 at 03:28:22 AM EST

Man, what the hell was I thinking? It was Android Nim; I got it confused with Robot Attack, which I never played until I got my TRS-80 Model III 'bout a year and a half later.

(But, uh, yes, this makes me a smidge older than is typical 'round these parts, I'm guessing)

Pac-Man! (3.66 / 3) (#29)
by swr on Wed Dec 06, 2000 at 07:58:24 PM EST

I'm happy to see Pac-Man in the poll options. That really was what set me on The Path.

I was five years old. I saw this odd-looking machine with a TV screen sitting in the mall and asked my Mom's boyfriend about it (being five, probably all I did was point and grunt :). He popped a quarter in and held me up to the machine.

I don't know how long it took me to figure out the joystick, but the important part I remember clearly. There was a yellow thing on the TV, and then a revelation: I was controlling it.

I've been chasing that feeling ever since.

Mule and Ultima IV on a C64 (none / 0) (#38)
by Ummon on Thu Dec 07, 2000 at 06:50:19 AM EST

Are the only two games from my childhood that I remember spending weeks playing.

Pretty much everything else couldn't keep my attention for more than a few days. I still have that problem with games. Although the occasional Quake III or UT LAN party is a blast.

Civilization 1 and Space quest. (5.00 / 1) (#39)
by Wiglaf on Thu Dec 07, 2000 at 10:48:40 AM EST

Definitly Civ was when I knew I was hooked. But Space quest got me started just cause it was a goofy game. At one point you are to drink dehydrated water to refresh yourself. WTF?! The oddest thing was that my first couple of uses weren't games. IT was using my crappy tandy to keep a journal. LEt's just say my parents wanted to raise a pacifist so that was how I was told to deal with my anger at classmates. But that was many moons ago. Back in the good ole late 80's.

Paul: I DOMINATE you to throw rock on our next physical challenge.
Trevor: You can't do that! Do you really think Vampires go around playing rock paper sissors to decide who gets to overpower one another?
My story on learning programming... (none / 0) (#40)
by WWWWolf on Thu Dec 07, 2000 at 11:19:51 AM EST

I answered Adventure to the poll, even though my "influential" game was Zork II. (The first text adventure I played on a C64, one of the games that helped me a lot to learn English =)

This choice was remarkable for another reason: I was introduced to the concept of data structures that way. I wrote my own (very simple - only movement!) adventure games in BASIC, and I read from a book (forgot the author's name, again) how a network of rooms has to be arranged.

10000 DATA "The starting room", 0,0,2,0,0,0
10010 DATA "Another room", 0,1,3,4,0,0

Then the data was read to the arrays: first the string that had the name of the room, then the rest as directions where you can get from that room (0 simply meant you would get nowhere by going that way).

So, in a way, text adventures opened my eyes that hey, you can store game data somehow...

I never managed to write a working parser, though, but these days it might be quite possible... =)

-- Weyfour WWWWolf, a lupine technomancer from the cold north...

Programming (none / 0) (#41)
by YvRich on Thu Dec 07, 2000 at 11:59:28 AM EST

Ah, Zork.

The Infocom games certainly pushed the boundaries of my programming expertise. I spent a good portion of my teenage years writing programs to emulate the ability to parse English sentences.

One attempt was on our family's Apple ][+, in machine code. Hexadecimal, not assembler. It worked well, but I never developed a world to use the parsing engine with.

Another attempt was on the IBM ATs (XTs? Don't even remember now) at school. This was in BASIC, and the main feature of this program was its method of working around memory limitations: depending on what noun or verb you were using, it would load the relevant mini-programs from the floppy and insert them, as modules, into itself on the fly. I didn't even know the term "interpreted" at the time, but I was aware that this wasn't something you could do with C, which you needed this compiler-thingy for.

(Okay, enough nostalgia.)

That would be Doom (3.00 / 1) (#42)
by Noxx on Thu Dec 07, 2000 at 01:10:38 PM EST

Does anyone else remember playing Doom for hours on end, and coming away from the computer literally shaking? That was a *high* quality game.

ifnkovhgroghprm?? (5.00 / 1) (#43)
by jethro on Thu Dec 07, 2000 at 01:49:22 PM EST

On my version it was "rumplestiltskin" spelled backwards...

I still remember being really angry when you'd type "nikstlitselpmu" and he'd still say "Where did you get that idea? That's not even close!" Annoyed the HECK out of me.

King's Quest did, if nothing else, improve my spelling tremendously (: Also tought me to ask my mom how to spell things, and not my dad...

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is kinky.
Wasteland (none / 0) (#44)
by cyathal on Thu Dec 07, 2000 at 03:27:28 PM EST

For me it was Wasteland. Wasteland on my old Commadore 64. It was, IMHO, the greatest game ever made. Last year on my birthday I found a copy of it for sale on some RPG collection, and I was happy.

If anyone is interested in what the game looked like, check out this.

-cyathal

Driving... (2.00 / 1) (#46)
by Luke Scharf on Thu Dec 07, 2000 at 08:57:01 PM EST

Those racing games that I played helped me avoid a car accident once. Yes, I was 16 and stupid, but I was able to keep my car from sliding off the road. Cool, eh?