The Evolution of RPGs

By Mad Hughagi in Culture
Fri Dec 08, 2000 at 03:39:43 AM EST
Tags: etc (all tags)
/etc

With the growing popularity in online role playing games as well as the extremely sucessful output of Black Isle Studio (Developers of Baldurs Gate 1 & 2 and Planescape Torment - entitled as games of the year for the last 3 years running by many major gaming establishments) I believe that there is quite a resurgence in the popularity of the role-playing culture and that it is slowly evolving away from it's days of basement gatherings among school friends. What does the k5 community believe? Any RPG players of the different systems (Pen and Paper, Console, PC?) have have any insights?

Although computer RPGs were among the first popular games in the PC arena they soon ran up against the quick-fix high paced first person shooters. It wasn't until the recent releases of the Black Isles Trio that computer RPGs reattained their original popularity. Another shift in users occured in recent years as online role playing games like Ultima Online, Asherons Call and Neverquest brought forth the days of 'online-only' RPGs. This brought out the truly competitive nature of RPGs, evident from the numerous instances where people were selling characters on Ebay.

Never the less many people reminisce of the good old days when you sat down with 5 or 6 of your good friends or buddies at the gaming club and let the dice roll. Another stream of RPG users was formed on the console machines in the 90's beginning with the classics like Final Fantasy and DragonWarrior. It still finds extreme success, most notibly is the Final Fantasy Series, creating cultic console players on both sides of the Pacific.

More likely than not an RPG player plays a variety of of the 4 different types, but there are those who consider the merits of their particular way to be the best. I know that many of the younger crowd probably don't even think that the games should be played without a transistor creating the dice rolls, and there are probably some that still prefer the days of the social gatherings. Does anyone see the end of pen and paper games with the generation-x'ers? In any case I believe the role playing game has definately transformed and mainted popularity in our digital age.

What kind of RPG do you prefer?
o Writing Tool Required 40%
o Game Pad Required 11%
o Keyboard Required 15%
o Internet Connection Required 6%
o Requires Some of Above 16%
o Requires All of Above 0%
o Doesn't Require RPGs In The First Place 10%

o Also by Mad Hughagi

The Evolution of RPGs | 34 comments (27 topical, 7 editorial, 0 hidden)
Real RPGs going away? (4.00 / 10) (#1)
by AdamJ on Thu Dec 07, 2000 at 11:21:13 PM EST

Does anyone see the end of pen and paper games with the generation-x'ers?

Hell no. Young people are still getting into real RPGs, Computer and MMORPGS don't replace them, just augment them, it's easier than ever to find material for both current and long OOP RPGs thanks to the 'net, and RPGs provide a distinct quality that CRPGS and MMORPGs don't - face to face interaction.

The lure of a medium where you can actually Create has not yet died. :-)

Adam

CRPGs bring new people to traditional RPGs (4.00 / 4) (#10)
by earthling on Fri Dec 08, 2000 at 02:08:26 AM EST

I would even go a step futher and say that CRPGs are making alot of people discover pen-and-paper RPGs. More and more people are playing computer games (including CRPGs) these days and for a whole lot of them, it is their first exposure to the role-playing world. I see many players online who started or are interested to start playing tabletop games after experiencing CRPGs.

I'm a member of the Delta Green Mailing List (Delta Green, for those who don't know it, is a modern day horror and conspiracy RPG based on Call of Cthulhu and is widely regarded as one of the best RPGs ever - check it out!). Many people on the list, even if they are DG fanatics, don't even play tabletop RPGs anymore. Why? Not because they wouldn't love to, but because they can't find anyone to play with. I live in a city of more than 3 millions souls, not exactly what you'd call a small town, but even here, it's not really easy to find a gaming group (for whatever game). So what do these people do? They play CRPGs.

Like it or not, pen-and-paper role-playing still is a fringe hobby. I think that the new successes of CRPGs are not hindering it, but are instead really helping it to grow, .

-Earthling
"I'm sorry, I had to; the irony was just too thick."

Pen & Paper... (3.44 / 9) (#3)
by Electric Angst on Fri Dec 08, 2000 at 12:02:29 AM EST

I think it's very interesting to look at exactly where pen & paper RPGs are today. While I believe that they are no less popular, the genres that are popular have changed quite a bit. Of course, D&D is still very popular, but since the early 90's, when White Wolf popped on the scene, high fantasy seems to be the second choice as opposed to games set in a more "realistic" (read: where comtemporary locations and dates are used) world.

An interesting aspect of the online RPGs, in my opinion, is that they have really ressurected the High Fantasy genre that was being overshadowed by it's counterparts.

And then there's LARPing, but I doubt that anyone wants to bring that up...
"Hell, at least [Mailbox Pipebombing suspect Lucas Helder's] argument makes sense, which is more than I can say for the vast majority of people." - trhurler
An tentative explanation of the new genres in RPGs (4.00 / 5) (#22)
by earthling on Fri Dec 08, 2000 at 01:25:03 PM EST

I think the reasons we have seen a departure from the traditional (medieval) high fantasy genre in pen-and-paper RPGs is because TSR (now Wizards) has that market pretty much cornered up. D&D and high fantasy are darn near synonymous. Sure, there are other fantasy RPGs (Elric! or Palladium to name only two), but ask any role-player out there to name any fantasy RPG, and the first answer that will come up will most likely be "D&D".

I think that the other RPGs companies have realised this and thought that fighting TSR on it's own ground wasn't necessarily a terribly good idea, especially for startups. That's why we have seen all those other genres develop so much. And to be frank, that has given us some awesome games: Delta Green (a modern-day horror and conspiracy game based on Call of Cthulhu), Heavy Gear (a anime/mecha game, but oh!-so-much more) or Blue Planet (a eco-cyberpunk game) to name just a few recent ones.

On the other hand we have CRPGs. While incredibly succesful lately, that back-from-the-brink-of-extinction success is still fairly recent (remember, Baldur's Gate is only one development cycle away from where we are now). I think this is why they are sticking to the tried and true high fantasy formula. That and the fact that D&D is an incredibly attractive license. As the genre grows, we'll see more and more diverse CRPGs. The Vampire game, while not exactly a good game, was a good example. The soon-to-be-released Arcanium might be a better one.

-Earthling
"I'm sorry, I had to; the irony was just too thick."

Nothing beats original pen&paper (3.42 / 7) (#9)
by Moneo on Fri Dec 08, 2000 at 01:50:17 AM EST

I have been playing pen&paper RPGs since the late 80s, including D&D, AD&D, MERP, RM, WHFRPG and Shadowrun to various degrees (and not necessarily in that order).

I played Zork on the C64, Ultima III on the Apple IIc and the Nintendo, Ultima VIII and Betrayal at Krondor on the PC, and I've even tried role-playing on IRC or other chat forums.

Given all of that, I think pen&paper is certainly the best. CRPGS and online games have their merits, but I think they fail to capture role-playing in its entirety. To me, the role-playing experience is largely about the social interaction between the people involved, as much as it is between the characters themselves. Most CRPGs are pretty hack'n'slash, which is fun, but doesn't compare with proper role-playing. Playing online recaptures some of this, but a lot of context and body language is lost, which again lessens the experience.
Propaganda plays the same role in a democracy as violence does in a dictatorship. -- Noam Chomsky
my fondest role-playing memories (4.25 / 8) (#11)
by kei on Fri Dec 08, 2000 at 04:03:53 AM EST

My fond memories of RPG-ing lie mostly IRL. Star Wars role-playing on a cold winter's day with friends (and a very sadistic but fair GM). I got to be a wacky tech-savvy, kick-butt Ewok to boot! One time school was canceled because of a sudden severe blizzard. What did I do on snow day? Stay indoors where it was nice and safe? Hell no, I trekked over to the GM's dorm.

When I play RPG's by myself (e.g. on computer/console), there's always a feeling of disconnectedness with the outside world. This may or may not be a good thing, depending on how deeply immersed one wants to be in the game, but for me the best part of role-playing is the dynamic interactions between other players. Rapid-fire jokes, laughter, that kind of thing that can't be experienced in single-player games (and I would argue, not totally reproduced by the new online RPG's).

Stuff like having the GM, barely suppressing his laughter, tell an inept member of the party (in his attempt to be the ever-so cliched Han Solo character by upping his piloting and gunnery skills, he had almost no dexterity, arguably the most important stat to the game), "you take a step towards the door as you try to escape from the squad of stormtroopers, only to trip on your feet, fall flat on your face, and get knocked

And then having the wookie, who's already carrying yours truly (the incapacitated ewok), roll to try and save said tripper.

And then, after a miraculously good roll, hearing the GM say, "as you fire at the stormtroopers and run, you kick your fallen comrade's body. It flies across the room and bounces through the doorway. You reach the door and blow the circuits to lock the stormtroopers out."

I just spent about two hours playing the Sailor Moon RPG for the SNES. Mostly because my two roomates had both played it before, and we all got a bit of enjoyment out of cracking up while I played it for the first time.

This is not to say I don't enjoy RPG's where there is no human interaction, but I don't see paper and pencil going away any time soon, as long as people out there have irreplaceably fond memories. It would be a shame if some generation from now, everyone is playing online RPG's, never having experienced meatspace role-playing. unconscious."
"[An] infinite number of monkeys typing into GNU emacs would never make a good program."
- /usr/src/linux/Documentation/CodingStyle

Still prefer paper-based... (4.12 / 8) (#12)
by pak21 on Fri Dec 08, 2000 at 05:05:33 AM EST

Does anyone see the end of pen and paper games with the generation-x'ers?

Personally, no. I'd much rather play a pen and paper RPG than a computer-based one, basically because you actually get to role play, rather than just play - your character can actually acquire a personality of its own, rather than being constrained by the still rigid limits put on it by the computer. Having seen my housemates playing Icewind Dale last year, it seemed to be to be just hack-slash-oh no we've died-reload from the last saved game-ok we won this time-get the treasure-repeat, with nothing of what I'd really consider role-playing.

In my opinion, the computer-based thing to paper-and-pencil RPGs are the text-based MUDs, rather than the online RPGs, as they have the freedom and social interaction of a traditional RPG, which (IMHO) are the important attributes.

I think you chose a bad example... (3.80 / 5) (#16)
by Giant Space Hamster on Fri Dec 08, 2000 at 11:18:30 AM EST

Icewind Dale was specifically designed to be a combat-oriented, hack and slash game, along the same lines as Diablo.

Planescape: Torment, on the other hand, is a roleplaying game. In my opinion, it is an extremely good one. You don't need combat, it is very story focused, and the characters in the game have very distinct personalities.

-------------------------------------------
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
-- Bertrand Russell

Re: I think you chose a bad example... (4.00 / 3) (#17)
by pak21 on Fri Dec 08, 2000 at 12:15:51 PM EST

And was therefore a good example. Whether it was a fair example, OTOH :-)

Planescape: Torment, on the other hand, is a roleplaying game. [snip] the characters in the game have very distinct personalities.

I suppose my question (having never played Torment, despite there being a copy in my house at the moment...) is whether the characters have personalities you can shape according to your will, or are you still to a large extent constrained by the options the game gives you?

Actually... (3.60 / 5) (#19)
by vaguely_aware on Fri Dec 08, 2000 at 12:34:04 PM EST

To some extent you can shape your character because the choices you make in the game determine the alignment of your character. For example, if you mercilessly kill every non-player character you come across, the game will adjust your alignment to chaotic evil pretty soon.

This has some effect (if I recall correctly) on the flow of the game. Not exactly the same as forming a personality like in pen-and-paper games, but I felt it was an exceptional approximation.

"...there are lots of shades of brown, but not too many shades of balls. - Kwil
Well... (3.60 / 5) (#20)
by Giant Space Hamster on Fri Dec 08, 2000 at 12:59:09 PM EST

The NPCs you journey with have pretty set personalities. I've never seen the game played through as evil, so I don't know if they change their reaction to you based on that.

The way they handled alignment in Torment is very interesting. You start out as neutral and your actions in the game determine your alignment. If you kill random strangers, betray people, sell your companions into slavery to gain power (yes, you can do this) you will become evil. If you act good, your alignment becomes good.

You are always constrained by the options a game gives you. However, Torment always provides several options and paths around problems. It's not perfect freedom, but for a game it is extremely good.

-------------------------------------------
-- Bertrand Russell

Install it (none / 0) (#34)
by Wah on Mon Dec 18, 2000 at 07:29:39 PM EST

and go ahead and jump in. I did the same thing, bought it and sat on it. If it grabs you, you'll be in for a sleep deprived week or two. The pacing is excellent, you get control over your own actions, but your companions are largely set. This isn't a bad thing as you collect a pretty interesting set of companions.

As far as the roleplaying goes, most of the experience you get (outside of black abishai's) will come from conversations and developing and remebering some of your character's past lives (there are a number of them), and doing a bit of detective/assassin/good guy stuff. Which isn't to say there aren't some pretty sweet visuals, although most are of the 5-10 second variety. Some of the spell effects take a nod from the FF series and are pretty nice, but short.
Fail to Obey?

It's all about versatility (4.50 / 2) (#27)
by nurglich on Sat Dec 09, 2000 at 11:39:38 AM EST

Sure, computer-based RPG's are fun, but they can never match the versatility of pen-and-paper games. On a computer, theere is only so much you can do. Some people can never be killed, as it would completely disrupt the plot. But when programming isn't an obstacle, you can kill who ever you please, and the plot will form around that. Though in a computer RPG you can do zany stuff like, in Deus Ex, run around your office building and fill your commanding officer's office with every houseplant and swivel chair in the complex. And nobody cares. Heheheheh.

------------------------------------------
"There are no bad guys or innocent guys. There's just a bunch of guys!" --Ben Stiller, Zero Effect

RPGs and their past (3.00 / 5) (#13)
by d0u8le_t on Fri Dec 08, 2000 at 06:49:07 AM EST

Even tho im still a kid. I enjoy both forms of RPGs, pen and paper and computer role playing. The computer is more visualy appealing while the pen and paper is more intellecuallty(sp) stimulating. I believe in this modern world they both have a place amongst the RPG community and that people on either side of the subject would benefit from a step to the other.

MLPesque Comment (3.42 / 7) (#14)
by acestus on Fri Dec 08, 2000 at 07:09:18 AM EST

First, I will offer my answer: computers won't kill off tabletop gaming any time soon. Look at the usenet on the subject, and you can see that it's alive and well. (Well, as well as it can be seen to be on usenet.)

For those interested, there's a great group on eGroups called RPG-theory devoted to discussion of all forms of RPG. This question has come up a few times there.

Acestus
This is not an exit.

As an old fart... (4.22 / 9) (#18)
by ucblockhead on Fri Dec 08, 2000 at 12:19:22 PM EST

Speaking as an old fart, with a mortgage, wife and all that, the biggest appeal of the electronic variety is that you can hit "save game" whenever you feel like. When you are a teenager, or a single young twenty-something, it is real easy to get a gang together for a game. When you start hitting the real world, suddenly getting everyone together becomes near impossible.

-----------------------
This is k5. We're all tools - duxup
Ain't it the truth (3.50 / 4) (#25)
by ignatiusst on Fri Dec 08, 2000 at 07:36:32 PM EST

I started playing D&D when I was 10 (we won't go into just how long ago that was.. suffice to say I still have the Greyhawk that was published in a trapper-keeper-like folder).

Up until college, getting the group together on a weekly basis was easy. Now-a-days (with the wife/kid/mortgage thingy you mentioned), RPGing in a group like that, on a regular basis, is near impossible.

Oh well, growing up sucks.. what else is new...

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift

MUSHes and RP-MUDs (4.25 / 4) (#26)
by kjeldar on Fri Dec 08, 2000 at 11:44:29 PM EST

I'm amazed that no one has brought up roleplay MUDs and MUSHes. They offer most of the elements of roleplay that paper-and-dice games do, though there is a tradeoff: face-to-face interaction is sacrificed, and the ability to roleplay at any time, day or night, is gained. There's a cult of hardcore roleplayers in the MUD community and a slightly larger one in the MUSH community. We hope to cater to this roleplay community with the MUD we're currently working on, but that's another comment altogether... I'll skip the shameless self-promotion that most MUD admins and builders love so much (mostly since we're still under pre-alpha development and haven't reached the shameless self-promotion phase yet =) and just say: "If you'd like to know more, drop me an E."

As I mentioned, though, the instant accessibility of players on a MUD is a huge boon to roleplay groups like my own, that once met several times a week in college for paper-and-dice sessions, and now have Grown Up and find themselves scattered to the four winds. We used a MUD to continue our roleplay fun without the hassle of getting everyone together for a game, and even met some new people and made some new friends. The only reason we still don't play is that we now find our free time consumed with the task of building a MUD specifically for people like us.

If you're a roleplayer, spend a little time checking out the MUD community. You never know; you might find something you like.

Deus Ex (3.80 / 5) (#21)
by sugarman on Fri Dec 08, 2000 at 01:10:39 PM EST

IMHO, this was the best roleplaying game this year. I find the 3D-based RPG's like this (System Shock 2, Thief, etc) much more immersive and conducive to role-playing than the top-down, isometric SimParty-type games that BG and the like provide.

In the former, I *become* that person, and see everything thorugh their PoV: I am living out that role; in the latter, I am little more than a Project Manager in a fantasy setting. Why would I want to live out a day-job in different setting?

As for bridging the gap, I'm of the mind that Neverwinter Nights will finally allow a real cross-pollination between the 2. Allowing someone to set-up a dungeon for a small group of people, each playing their own role, to play online co-operatively. While this is arguably possible in MMORPG's, you are still inside someone else's world, and have to deal with outside annoyances ("Whaddaya mean this plane has been *reserved*? I'm on a mission to save the world!")

Ah well, we're not their yet. But it is getting better.

--sugarman--

I can't imagine replacing pen and paper... (3.50 / 6) (#23)
by SIGFPE on Fri Dec 08, 2000 at 02:20:32 PM EST

In one of my favourite AD&D campaigns my character seemed to be playing a bunch of Call of Cthulhu rules while the rest were playing straight AD&D. Slowly, slowly the players were beginning to figure out that there was something weird going on (I certainly didn't know what was going on) and we had days of fun with secret discussions in different parts of the house, genuine horror as I repeatedly cast spells that experienced magic users couldn't recognise, the sudden fear of insanity for players' hard developed characters and just the sheer fun of seeing plain bewilderment on people's faces. I just can't imagine that bizarre atmosphere of reality breakdown happening on a machine for many many years.

I'm still a fan of electronic RPGs though. One thing I'd like to see developed more are interesting non-player characters. I think it's a very interesting programming challenge to develop these but nobody seems to be up to it. Even more fun would be to develop complex interpersonal relationships between PCs and NPCs as well as purely between NPCs. I'd love to see bargaining, negotiation, trading, promises and contract making, trust, gossip and of course good natural language parsing developed in software.
SIGFPE
no! no, i say! (2.83 / 6) (#24)
by extarbags on Fri Dec 08, 2000 at 06:18:37 PM EST

RPG's aren't dying; they're getting better. I point to two games: Fallout and Fallout 2 (the two greatest games ever, imho) that have redefined and improved what it means to be an RPG.

"I just stare, with my two glass eyes, hoping you won't come back again" - They Might Be Giants

Computer Role Playing Games: Bringing In Players? (4.25 / 4) (#28)
by Haldol on Mon Dec 11, 2000 at 01:35:16 AM EST

I don't think the fundamentals of computer role playing games have changed from the early days of Ultima 1-IV, Wizardry, the Bard's Tale, etc.. that I remember from my high school days. I had friend I role played in person with, and only a few of us liked games on the computer (I was not one of them, I don't have the patience to sit there going through quests or solving damn puzzles for 40-100 hours). I had friend who were into the latest Final Fantasy or Might and Magic, and they were not into Final Fantasy. The tabletop RPG is mor for the creative person, who enjoys some bit of acting, changeable stories and possibly a longer term and more interesting experience. The computer RPG is for someone who likes to solve puzzles or interact with a program in limited ways, in an effort to "beat" something. While you can "beat" things in tabeletop RPGs (Monty Hall, anyone remember you?), the story is oftentimes as much of a draw, and the story changes unpredictably on the tabletop, more chaotically than a programmed piece of software. Now, the new online RPGs have potential to replace the tabletop, but the traditional one player computer game won't. They're different beasts. Once the multiplayer games get sorted out, where one can run in campaigns that have some coherence, written by people, changeable on the fly, then I think we'll be able to compare. Once they move past the randomness, the lack of stories that I understand goes on in these multiplayer games (last I heard, lots of hoarding resourcess killing players, not too much of a coherent story or adventure going on, correct me if I am wrong, I haven't played one,) then it will be a creative enterprise, not soley focused on "winning" by amassing huge resources. That is where I think the difference between current computer and tabletop games go. The tabletop game is mostly a creative exercise in collective interaction, while the computer RPG is mostly about winning through solving a programmed problem, or with the multiplayer games, winning through amassing the most power and resources. These games appeal to different kinds of players. I like computer games, but never CRPGs. Give me a good tabletop game.

Vampire and storytelling (4.00 / 3) (#29)
by lastwolf on Mon Dec 11, 2000 at 10:01:58 AM EST

I see that some of you dislike it to solve a programmed problem in a CRPG, instead of a creative journey of a pen and paper RPG.

Well, I did only play the demo of Vampire: The Masquaerade, but check out it's story telling feature. Basicly, the host can set up a story, interact with the players as a NPC, spawn monsters and items while playing etc.

Check out these links to:

Planet Vampire Storyteller Articles
Vampire Vault Storyteller Guides
Etc...

LastWOLF
"Take your wings, go out and fly.
Learn, read and soar the sky."

Pen and Paper (3.50 / 2) (#30)
by end0parasite on Mon Dec 11, 2000 at 01:25:08 PM EST

Hopefully, pen and paper will never die. I just can't see CRPGs fully replacing it. With pen and paper you can create entirely new rules, worlds, races and objects and characters. You can with a computer as well but not without being a professional computer artist.

I am the local DM of our 1800 pop. town. CRPGs have _never_ been able to satisfy my needs with the exception of Baldur's Gate, which I never finished anyway. I thought Planescape was worse; the World is just too different to adapt to.

With pen and paper I can truly express my creative mind. CRPGs will always be limited.

Credit where it is due... (3.00 / 2) (#31)
by gauntlet on Tue Dec 12, 2000 at 04:41:07 PM EST

Black Isle doesn't really design the software...

Bioware does. I have friends there that do art, 3D modeling, coding, and quality assurance. Black Isle designs RPGs in the same way that Ted Turner broadcasts the news. :)

Into Canadian Politics?

I stand corrected (3.00 / 2) (#32)
by Mad Hughagi on Tue Dec 12, 2000 at 04:58:57 PM EST

Once again I stand corrected, thanks for pointing it out and giving the credit to the guys who actually work on the stuff. (I'm not that familiar with the whole developement operation so I went along the path that the general media portrays - at least I didn't water it down as far as Interplay!).

I also mistyped "Everquest" as "Neverquest" - I made an apology as an editorial comment, but I guess I might as well do so again here - no subliminal message was intended!.

HUGHAGI INDUSTRIES

We don't make the products you like, we make you like the products we make.

Post Pen and Paper Post (3.50 / 2) (#33)
by Wah on Sat Dec 16, 2000 at 12:43:08 AM EST

My experience is almost exclusively CRPG. I was introduced to pen and paper at a young age when my older brother gathered with his friends and played D&D.

Eventually this led to the classic semi-CRPG Dark Tower. About this time my brother left, got too busy, etc., and my group of friends was cut from a different cloth altogether.

My next full-on experiences came with the Gold Box Games from SSI. I think I played every single one in the series, including the original Pool of Radiance. One thing that kept me playing these games...your characters would move from game to game and, IIRC, the first edition of every series had a bug in the character generation screens that let you pick "Dragon" as race, and set your STR, etc. up to 25.

What follows this is the (S)NES games (including the Wizardry ports) like DragonWarrior and FF (As mentioned), many of which still rank high on the favorites list.

Then came the dark times, a.k.a. Quake.

Lately I've found a few nice titles, the BG games and Planescape are fun. The Final Fantasy games (which I still enjoy) have graduated into near cinematic glory, and will complete the transition next summer (I'll bet $100 it beats the $hit out of D&D, the movie)

I have stayed away from Everquest (although I do own it) and Asheron's (M$), simply because I know what a tremendous time sink they can be. That might not make sense in the context of this particular post, but even I try to draw lines for my gaming time. After spending an evening with about 10 people who completely lived on Evercrack, I think I made the right decision.

I never really had the right friends for a nice sit down gaming session, but I've had a computer for a long time. And my experiences reflect that, however I know I have missed out of a number of the benefits of human interaction, especially in the freedom of a fantasy realm. To be honest, I think that my type of role-player might be more common in the future, but I think that would be a loss and could be generally seen as "missing the point."
Fail to Obey?

The Evolution of RPGs | 34 comments (27 topical, 7 editorial, 0 hidden)