Didn't know about the First Amendment freedoms? Don't worry: you'd be a pretty typical American if, in addition to being First Amendment ignorant, you also figure the press has too much freedom, that some kooky religions should be banned, and that rallies and public speech should be limited.
As posted on Prorev:
A new survey shows that 37% of Americans can't name a single freedom guaranteed in the First Amendment and that a majority think the press has "too much freedom." The survey, released late last month by the First Amendment Center, revealed that significant numbers of Americans say they are willing to allow the government to control, restrict, or ban material that some find offensive:
* 51% said the press in America has "too much freedom to do what it wants."
* 20% think the government should be allowed to approve what newspapers publish.
* 36% would support a law that banned "public remarks offensive to racial groups."
* 54% said the government should rate entertainment programs shown on TV.
* 20% said freedom of religion "was never meant to apply to religious groups that the majority consider extreme or fringe."
* 31% said a group should not be able to hold a rally if its cause is "offensive" to some in the community.
* 58% think the government should restrict sexually explicit Internet content.
* 37% could not name even one of the five freedoms guaranteed in the First Amendment -- the freedom of religion, of speech, of the press, to assemble, and to petition the government for redress of grievances.
Oh, isn't life in the USA going to be wonderful as the government takes advantage of its citizens' willingness to give their freedom away!