What is the world coming to?

By enterfornone in Culture
Fri Jan 26, 2001 at 11:21:06 PM EST
Tags: Culture (all tags)
Culture

Sure it's obvious the world isn't perfect. Most of us go through life expecting that, so we aren't terribly disappointed when we view the many flaws in the world around us. But every now and then you see something that is truly disturbing and makes you come to think, "What is the world coming to?"

There seems to be a new fashion item that I'm seeing more and more these days. It basically involves a tight black shirt, with white hand prints in just the right location that you are led to imagine some sort of ghostly figure reaching around from behind in order to fondle the wearer's breasts.

It wouldn't be so bad, but it appears that these shirts are worn almost exclusively by females under the age of 16.

Today waiting for the train, with her parents and younger sister, a girl of about 14 was wearing one of these shirts. And it made me think, what is the world coming to where such a young girl would wear something that is so blatantly drawing attention to her body in a sexual way? Why is a father letting his daughter leave the house dressed like that, let alone dress like that for a family outing?

Then I thought, why the hell am I thinking like this? When I was 14 I would have loved watching a girl who was wearing something like that.

Part of me likes to think it's because I'm more enlightened. I've left my hormonal teenage years behind, read Refusing to be a Man and can now see the harm that the objectification of women causes in society. But I doubt that's why.

Perhaps it's just because I'm ashamed of the fact that a mere item of clothing led me to ponder a young girl's breasts to the extent that I would later write about it here. Perhaps if I was 14 or she were 23 it would be different, but society doesn't consider it right for adults to consider young people as sexual beings and societies attitudes do tend to rub off on individuals.

Or perhaps my recent experiments with christianity are starting to show their influence.

But the more I think about it, I'm starting to see that the reason I found myself objecting to this teenager's fashion sense was that I just don't understand teenagers any more.

Sure I used to like Bros and Ninja Turtles, but I fail to understand the appeal of the Backstreet Boys and Pokemon. Sure I used to spend much of my youth playing video games at the local take away, but I still wonder why those kids loitering outside the 7-Eleven don't have better things to do with their time.

Back when I was a kid I used to wonder why my parents, teens in the sixties, didn't get up to the same stuff that we did. Of course I later found out that they didn't really walk ten miles to school without shoes and they did at times come home late and drunk. But they grew up and I guess learned from their mistakes and did their best to make sure we didn't make the same.

I guess I'm growing up, changing and so is everyone else. Coming to realise things are different and perhaps not exactly as you would like them to be is hard, but eventually you are just forced to deal with it.

So I'm sure when I'm a parent I'll let my kids know how lucky they are to be able to travel to school on a crowded bus. I'll tell them that drinking and smoking are bad. I'll let them know that we didn't listen to crap like that when we were their age. I'll encourage my daughters to wear angle length skirts and my sons to encourage their girlfriends to wait until they are married. And I'm sure they'll pay as much attention to me as I paid to my parents. And hopefully if they do that they'll turn out OK.

After all, I turned out all right.

What is the world coming to?
o Kids just have no morals anymore 3%

o Bros
o Ninja Turtles
o Backstreet Boys
o Pokemon
o changing
o Also by enterfornone

What is the world coming to? | 44 comments (30 topical, 14 editorial, 0 hidden)
Oh, no! (4.63 / 22) (#2)
by trhurler on Thu Jan 25, 2001 at 08:21:42 PM EST

Can you imagine that? A 14 year old girl - with a shirt that emphasizes her breasts?

Sorry, but I can't imagine that most people even notice such things anymore. I mean, sure, you notice the shirt, and sure, you wouldn't hit on a 14 year old, but I don't think your average person, male or otherwise, really thinks much else about it - the answer isn't "why is she wearing that shirt?" but rather "why should I care?"

There are only two possibilities here. Either you found her chest appealing, or you didn't. If you didn't, then the above should be self explanatory. If you did, then you might feel dirty. The question is, presuming you behaved in a civilized manner appropriate to the situation, what does it matter that you have once again confirmed that boobs are sexy? It isn't like she's wearing the shirt hoping not to get noticed, and it doesn't sound like you stared at her or did anything to make her uncomfortable. If she caught you sneaking a discreet peek, you probably made her day. So what? "Objectification of women" is one thing. Admitting that the female form is attractive is quite another.

The thing that we're slowly discovering, in the US and elsewhere, although the elsewhere part varies widely, is that you can in fact dump irrational old prudishness without engaging in a nonstop orgy of hedonistic insanity. You can, in fact, do things society wouldn't approve of, without putting yourself in danger by overdoing them or taking them too far. Some people have known this for decades, and others figure it out all the time. I think it is a step on the road towards the day when people will admit that yes, they can take care of themselves, and others can take care of themselves, and personal responsibility really IS where the buck stops. That's a good thing. If she didn't want people to notice, she didn't have to wear the shirt. If you notice, you don't have to make an ass of yourself. That's the way the world works.

'God dammit, your posts make me hard.' --LilDebbie

Well... (3.62 / 8) (#3)
by jethro on Thu Jan 25, 2001 at 08:23:51 PM EST

> Or perhaps my recent experiments with christianity are
> starting to show their influence.

Yup, that's probably it.

I have to admit, I do find it a teeeny bit disturbing that 14-year-olds would wear clothes like that, but for different reasons.

I think it's very possible that they don't really know exactly what they mean. Therefore they are objectifying themselves and not even knowing it.

Other than that, the father (why not mother, by the way?) might really not be able to stop her from wearing it. Were your parents able to make YOU wear whatever THEY wanted when you were 14? I know mine weren't.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is kinky.
*sigh* (4.00 / 20) (#4)
by Flavio on Thu Jan 25, 2001 at 08:24:37 PM EST

Where were these girls when _I_ was 14?

Flavio

Understanding... (3.33 / 6) (#7)
by CyberQuog on Thu Jan 25, 2001 at 08:57:55 PM EST

Hey, you got any ideas of where I can spend my time?

I just don't understand teenagers any more.
Don't worry, I'm a teenager and I don't understand any of my more popular peers either.

What I find amazing, is that my parents actually do understand most of what I do. Most of the music I listen to they don't mind, and I'm starting to listen to a lot of older stuff (Beatles, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Hendrix).

Maybe the problem is that you wouldn't understand most of Pop society even if you were 14.

-...-
When I was your age... (2.50 / 2) (#26)
by marlowe on Fri Jan 26, 2001 at 11:04:09 AM EST

I had to walk five miles through a snowstorm to get to the 7-Eleven. Uphill both ways.

A year or two ago, I'd have simply told you to get a job. But with this oil crisis we've just entered, and the cold war restarting, that may not be an option soon. So get a job and be quick about it, coz you haven't got much time. When the recession hits, I'm not sure what you should do next. Just try to stay out of trouble, or something. And polish your computer skills, if you have the least aptitude in that direction. Computer skills are always good.

Recessions suck. I mean they really suck. But at least they shake people out of their complacency.

And in Sydney... (3.50 / 8) (#8)
by danny on Thu Jan 25, 2001 at 09:03:08 PM EST

In Sydney at the moment it's 30+ (Celsius), and you can see no shortage of teenage girls wandering around in what would be underwear at a more reasonable temperature.

At the moment that's just practical (wasn't there a Canadian woman who went to court for the right to go topless in a heatwave?), but it happens to a lesser extent in winter (when there are some women almost literally "freezing their tits off") and that surely has to be epigamic display.

Danny.
[900 book reviews and other stuff]

It's a battle. (4.22 / 9) (#12)
by slick willie on Thu Jan 25, 2001 at 09:54:18 PM EST

Getting old is a battle, and if you don't already have children, it's only going to get worse! :)

I'm 31, and my daughter is almost 3, and I when I see what the kids now are wearing, I could damn near die. When I was in school, lo these many years ago, a girl would have gotten expelled for wearing stuff like that. (Let Uncle Willie tell you about the 80's, kids.)

And I think, "I'll be damned if my daughter goes out like that." But, it will probably be worse when she's 14 or 15, and I shudder at the thought. There is a part of me that hopes she is homely and unsociable, like her old man -- that will keep her out of trouble.

On the flip side, though, I'll notice an attractive woman, have a peek, and realize that she can't be any more than sixteen. I'm half tempted to cart myself off to jail! Because, guess what? She's someone's daughter.

The arugment of biology vs. culture aside, I do think that we are sexualizing our children earlier and earlier. Lives are so hectic just trying to make ends meet that we are not giving kids the time and attention that they need, and they are turning to sex to get it. I could be all wet, though.

From my own experience, there is only one thing that has radically shifted my worldview, and that was becoming a parent. From that point on, everything changed. Everything (almost) that I see, is framed in reference to her.

I think, by and large, it's just called aging. I knew it all when I was 18, and it's been downhill ever since!

"...there is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit."
--Ronald Reagan, First Inaugural Address

80's! Yeah, baby!!! (none / 0) (#41)
by deefer on Sat Jan 27, 2001 at 06:36:27 PM EST

(Let Uncle Willie tell you about the 80's, kids.)

No, let Uncle Deefer - it was all frilly white shirts, shallow people tring to make money fast, recession and bad dancing!!! :)

But I loved it, anyway...

Kill the baddies.
Get the girl.
And save the entire planet.

Society changes faster than people! (4.10 / 10) (#13)
by tftp on Thu Jan 25, 2001 at 10:12:07 PM EST

As people (and civilization) get comfortable, safe, stable in their life they tend to push back the border of teenager -> adult conversion. Biologically humans are expected to have children before the female of the species turns 20. But society does not accept this natural law any more, saying that "s/he is not ready yet".

It may be true. Only couple of hundred years ago a parent only needed to know basic agriculture and how to handle domestic cattle - if they had any. It wasn't a rocket science, especially if one grows up among these things and you always can ask for an advice.

But today one has to reach certain position within the society to successfully procreate. There is an age below which any such attempts are illegal. Then there is a financial burden (someone mentioned $180K needed to raise a child). Then there is an occupational burden (working mom). Then there is a change in lifestyle.

So modern society imposes certain restrictions on behavior of people. But the people remain biologically the same, being most active before they are legally allowed to marry. Why then society is surprised to see population shrinking, more so in most "educated" countries?

Futurists said all along that society can become "old" and die of "old age" when people don't want to have children any more. Earth is getting there quickly. Children are a risk, a liability - no logical thinking can devise a reason why we need children now. We don't need help in field - there are farmers and division of labor for that. We don't need help in old age - mutual funds finance happy retirement on Bahamas or in Florida. A child, once grown up, is likely to leave you and go elsewhere on her own, only calling you every other Christmas. Return on that $180K investment is next to nothing!

The most favorable time for making children is exactly in younger, biologically correct age where people don't think logically (as Mr. Spock) but are driven by hormones. Miss that window of opportunity and breeding rate drops like a stone.

About that window of opportunity... (3.80 / 5) (#25)
by marlowe on Fri Jan 26, 2001 at 10:54:20 AM EST

When the window of opportunity for breeding fails to overlap the window of opportunity for being an adequate parent, we've got trouble.

Not getting old, just conservative (3.66 / 21) (#17)
by driptray on Thu Jan 25, 2001 at 11:42:10 PM EST

A 14 year old girl flaunting her sexuality? Big deal. It seems like you were upset by this because you were ashamed of your own arousal at the sight.

Do you really expect 14 year olds to be non-sexual? I have a 5-year old daughter who has an active sex life. She likes to masturbate, and it sometimes involves play-acting with her favourite teddy bears. Big deal. Even small children have sex lives.

You say that you suspect that you're just getting old, and that you don't understand teenagers anymore. This reminds me of the 80-year old man who goes to the doctor 'cos he has a sore knee. The doctor tells him that it's just old age, but the man replies that the other knee is exactly the same age and feels fine.

You're not getting old, just conservative. Maybe you always were, but the veneer of youth hid it.

And having children doesn't mean you have to tell them all the same sorts of crap your parents told you, re drinking, smoking, sex, short skirts etc. I haven't done any of that stuff so far, and don't plan to.

I'm reminded of a friend of mine whose mother's advice on sex to her as a teenager was "Don't sleep with sleazy men". OK, maybe its a little limited, but I like the way it doesn't demonise sex, and how it implicitly says that there is good sex and bad sex and that its up to you to make sure you get the good type.

We brought the disasters. The alcohol. We committed the murders. - Paul Keating
I hope you're hard to trace... (1.00 / 4) (#20)
by slaytanic killer on Fri Jan 26, 2001 at 07:53:56 AM EST

But hopefully she will find no shame later in life that daddy just blabbed her sex life to a bunch of people. My hats off to you, since sees sex as something normal.

Hit the nail on the head. (3.20 / 5) (#18)
by Alistair on Fri Jan 26, 2001 at 01:23:08 AM EST

I surprise myself occasionally.

How?
By remembering my age. I'm only in my mid-twenties, but that seems ancient some days. Is it always like that?
Things my parents used to say and do, strange things, now make perfect sense.
    Wow.
When I was 15, I swore I'd never get a job that made me wear a tie. When I was 20, I wore one almost every day.
Nearly a month passed before I noticed. Now that's irony.

Life is Change.

Or, like the cynic in me says:

Stop changing, and you might as well be dead.

GOT WANG?
Possible Twain quote on this... (none / 0) (#44)
by mahlen on Sun Jan 28, 2001 at 04:51:01 PM EST

This is credited to Mark Twain, but a Mark Twain quote site had no record of it. Anyway, the line is:

"When I was fourteen, I could not believe how stupid my parents were. When I turned 21, I was amazed at how much they had learned in seven years."

The time i first really felt my years (currently 36) was when i met two UC Berkeley students who were about to graduate. I repeatedly would say the phrase, "When I was your age...", followed by some likely pointless observation. I really wanted to punch myself stupid, just so that i would stop saying that.

Another quote on age: "If you don't grow up by age 35, you don't have to." -- James Gurney, Dinotopia

mahlen

To play with Slinky in hands:
Hold end coils of Slinky with both hands. Now raise and lower each hand in a rhythmic motion.
--instructions on a Slinky's box

Poll choices (4.25 / 8) (#19)
by zztzed on Fri Jan 26, 2001 at 07:29:17 AM EST

This poll choice:

The world is the same, just your perspective is changing

...reminded me of a German proverb.

Die Menschen sagen immer, die Zeiten werden schlimmer. Die Zeiten bleiben immer; die Menschen werden schlimmer.

(I think it goes something like that, anyway.)

It means something like "People are always saying the times are getting worse. The times remain the same; the people are getting worse."

Same thing every generation... (3.40 / 5) (#21)
by Mantrid on Fri Jan 26, 2001 at 08:30:42 AM EST

I think this is a cyclical thing. Every teen growing up feels that he/she is with it and will always remain so, then at some point they realize that they are older and that they just don't get what the kids are doing these days. At this point they either accept things or start complaining about them.

Should they be criticising, or are they just out of touch? Well it does seem to me that things have been in a moral downward spiral. On the other hand I suppose teens somehow need to rebel in someway, and one day, barring some tragic act or event, they will make it and figure things out. I guess the trick is to get them to that point without getting AIDS, becoming criminals, or somehow getting killed or doing something else which is going to have a permanent effect on the rest of their lives.

As you can probably remember from when you were younger; kneejerk reactions by the older folk are not going to have a positive effect on their lives. I guess there's a fine balance to be had, and I feel for any parents out their that have teenage kids.

Irony (4.00 / 6) (#23)
by reshippie on Fri Jan 26, 2001 at 09:03:57 AM EST

The thing that really strikes me is that people are becoming sexual at younger and younger ages, but we still expect them not to have sex.

Teeny Bopper girls go nuts over boy-bands, and have Brittney Spears and Christina Aguilera showing them how to dress to attract boys. Yet we want to make sure that they don't do anything.

I wish society could make up it's mind-let sexy kids have sex, or keep kids from being sexy. I know it's idealistic though. Some people are ready for sex at a younger age then others.

Or maybe it's just that I don't like Society. I live in Society, but I'm happy to say I'm not really "member of Society".

Those who don't know me, probably shouldn't trust me. Those who do DEFINITELY shouldn't trust me. :-)

We change more than society does. (4.25 / 8) (#24)
by Khalad on Fri Jan 26, 2001 at 10:09:07 AM EST

We've been in a moral downward spiral for the last hundred years: in the twenties it was short skirts and drinking, in the fifties it was comic books, pulp fiction, and the Commies, in the sixties it was the hippies and free love, in the seventies it was disco and drugs, in the eighties it was television, and now it's video games, Hollywood, ecstasy, the Internet, binge drinking, and teenage pregnancy.

Though, after a hundred years of continuous downward spiraling, you would think the nation/world would've become that crime-ridden, nightmarish dystopia we've been waiting for since the advent of cyberpunk and "Escape from New York." Some how I don't think the crime in the cities is because of R-rated movies or the Stile Project...

Let's face it. The world's not going to end, and it's probably not getting much worse. In fact, I'd like to think it's getting better. For all of the school shootings and moral corruption of Suburbia, we've really made a lot of progress. Fifty years ago, in those Golden Years of prosperity and good will, there was also segregation and McCarthyism. The damn hippes were catalysts for the civil rights movement and women's liberation. For every downside to our society now there are even bigger upsides, and for every upside of the past there were bigger downsides we don't remember.

The statistics don't really back up claims of moral corruption... but I don't really think it would matter if they did. Statistics are cyclical. For every bad statistic you find I can find a good one.

I think more adults should think about the perspective of the poster. It's okay to decry the younger generation, but just try to remember that your generation isn't any better. You're just older.

I don't know... All I'm trying to say is, let's try to curb our nostalgia for the past and don't be so critical on the present. These are good times to be alive. Really.

You remind me why I still, deep in my bitter crusty broken heart, love K5. —rusty

Approaching Topic: TMNT (2.75 / 4) (#30)
by titivillus on Fri Jan 26, 2001 at 12:52:44 PM EST

Originally, the turtles were a parody of Marvel Comics' Daredevil. They were hit and doused with the stuff so potent that just a bump blinded Daredevil and gave him powers. If they had been baked up for kids and extreme marketing, they wouldn't have been identical.

If I was 16 today, I'd be going wild over Limp Bizkit, Korn and newer Metallica, just as 15 years ago I went wild over Anthrax, Run-DMC, Suicidal Tendencies and older Metallica. I still like most of that old stuff, although I don't listen to it much anymore. I just found an 8-year-old mix tape of stuff I used to really like, and I like so little of it now. The only new Metallica I like is "Unforgiven II", mostly because you don't hear the country-rock B-Bender it features very often.

I swore I'd never change, and then I did.

Sexuality vs. Objectification (4.42 / 7) (#31)
by Ryan Koppenhaver on Fri Jan 26, 2001 at 01:35:46 PM EST

...what is the world coming to where such a young girl would wear something that is so blatantly drawing attention to her body in a sexual way?

I've left my hormonal teenage years behind... and can now see the harm that the objectification of women causes in society.

I think you're failing to differentiate between a female displaying her sexuality, and a female being objectified. Bikini babes in beer commercials who stand around and look pretty are sex objects. A female who chooses to wear a suggestive shirt is not.

Now, I can only speculate as to the girl's state of mind. It could be that she was emotionally mature for her age, and was wearing the shirt to state "My sexuality is a part of who I am". [1] Then again, perhaps she just thought the shirt was amusing, or she wore it for the sole purpose of getting a reaction from people. Maybe she thought it would make her more desireable to MOTPS [2]

Now, admittedly, her choosing to wear a sexual shirt could lead to others objectifing her, but it would be absurd to blame the shirt for society's inability to deal with sex in a mature, reasonable fashion.

[1] Note that I say "a part of". When someone's existance is defined solely in terms of one particular characteristic, then that's objectification.
[2] That's Members Of The Preferred Sex. I hereby declare adolescent non-heterosexuality out of the scope of this discussion, though.

The day I realized I was old (4.66 / 6) (#32)
by trust_no_one on Fri Jan 26, 2001 at 03:24:24 PM EST

Several years ago I spent a holiday weekend at a popular beach resort in the area. I had been going there for years, and went with a couple of friends. We were staying at a hotel just a block from the beach, and after a fairly late night we retired to our rooms.

On the street below were a group of fraternity guys who were stopping traffic and trying to get people to race their cars, or to honk their horns. They were drunk and loud. I went out to the balcony to see what all the noise was about. My friend was out on his balcony doing the same thing.

We looked at each other, and then it happened. I said to him "Those damn kids." At that moment, I became old. Nothing's been the same since.

I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused

You're not growing old. You're growing up. (none / 0) (#42)
by hjones on Sun Jan 28, 2001 at 08:11:39 AM EST

You're starting to see things the way they are, against your will. It happens.
"Nietzsche is dead, but given the way of men, there may still be caves for thousands of years in which his shadow will be shown. And we -- we small-minded weaklings, we still have to vanquish his shadow too." - The Antinietzsche
Old...? Uh oh... (none / 0) (#43)
by sorynn on Sun Jan 28, 2001 at 10:26:41 AM EST

I've had that feeling for about the past 6 years now, and guess what, I'm only 21 years old. Then again, imho, age is more a frame of mind than a physical thing. :) Then again, I walk around wearing leather pants, a tight black turtle top, and a long black trenchcoat, and I'm sure there are plenty of people who think 'What are those kids wearing these days' when they see me too.

"Eagles may soar, free and proud, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines."
Tacky, but a good thing. (3.50 / 4) (#33)
by jabber on Fri Jan 26, 2001 at 03:29:28 PM EST

First off, I voted this to section even though it's really a diary. I think it's worth the discussion, and will get more exposure in section.

Is this really about sexual innuendo wrapped around a nubile body? "My goodness! Why is she wearing such tight pants?" has been around for ever. In the 70's there were short shorts, in the 60's there were bare midrifs, in the 50's there were fishnets and in the 40's there were pin-up girls, in the 30's there were red lips with cigarettes, in the 20's there were flappers, etc...

It's really about gaudy and tasteless clothing, IMHO. A girl with handprints on her chest, regardless of age, is showing poor taste. A young girl at least has an excuse of not knowing any better, and her parents are probably 'liberal minded' about hurting her self-esteem by restricting her freedom of expression - or some other sort of bull.

I know a guy who tends to wear a particular t-shirt in public. The shirt depicts the Crucifiction of Jesus in a particularly graphic way, and carries the label "His Pain is Our Gain". Obviously a pro-Christianity shirt, that I find to be tasteless and obnoxious.

I don't really see a distinction between the Jesus shirt and the Hands shirt. They are both really tacky. They both assert in a very blatant way some aspect of the wearer's personality. The girl is a newcomer to 'adulthood' by virtue of a developing body. She's probably awestruck by the attention she gets as a result, and is capitalizing on it. The guy I know is a Born Again Christian, and his shirt gives him an excuse to advertize that fact to everyone. He gets a lot of attention as a result of his shirt, and whenever anyone mentions anything, they get to hear about his personal Savior.

It's difficult sometimes to separate ethics and aesthetics. The unappealing is not necessarily wrong. A tight shirt with hands on the chest doesn't make the girl a sex-object, or a slut. It does not make her parents neglectful. In fact, it's an assertion of sexual power - it's a sign of awareness of sexuality, and that's better than ignorance. She has something that boys her age want. She knows this. By flaunting it, she controls it. She may be more easily spotted by a pedophile as well, but due to all the other attention she gets (and how obviously extroverted and outspoken she must be), the pervert is more likely to pass her by and find a shy, quiet, invisible girl who doesn't know 'good touch' from 'bad touch'. You can bet the girl with the hands on her breasts knows the difference, and simply likes the attention.

Or, if she's very clever, she just does it to mindfuck the Puritans. :)

[TINK5C] |"Is K5 my kapusta intellectual teddy bear?"| "Yes"

How to check if you're old (3.66 / 3) (#35)
by MrSpey on Fri Jan 26, 2001 at 05:32:04 PM EST

I was talking to a fellow grad student at work and he mentioned how he was TA'ing a class last year when he met one of the students in the class because she needed help. She was wearing tight revealing clothes, and try as he might he couldn't keep his mind on what he was doing. Instead, he kept thinking, "Would your mom let you out of the house in that?" "Care to put on some clothes?" and "Don't you have a shawl or sweater or something to wear over that?" That's when he realized he was old.

Mr. Spey
Cover your butt. Bernard is watching.

Those are just the things (3.00 / 1) (#37)
by itsbruce on Sat Jan 27, 2001 at 01:48:26 PM EST

he was thinking to try and stop thinking about the things he was really thinking about. C'mon.

It is impolite to tell a man who is carrying you on his shoulders that his head smells.
Old! (none / 0) (#39)
by deefer on Sat Jan 27, 2001 at 06:21:59 PM EST

Nope, you're only old when you still look at girls in tight tops, but can't remember why! :)

GIRRULS!

Kill the baddies.
Get the girl.
And save the entire planet.

Those damn young'uns (3.60 / 5) (#36)
by delmoi on Fri Jan 26, 2001 at 09:25:29 PM EST

"Back in my day, well, there was none of that that's for sure." Shesh, this is what everyone says when they get old. I can't belive it got posted.
"'argumentation' is not a word, idiot." -- thelizman
End of Human Morality (3.66 / 3) (#38)
by LordHunter317 on Sat Jan 27, 2001 at 02:15:14 PM EST

Perhaps I can comment better on this, cause I am a 16 yr guy.

Most of the clothing that girls where in my school today is designed to flaunt their bodies as sexual objects. Part of it is societal pressure, its cool to dress like a slut, least where I live. Its also ok to act like one, smoke, drink, cuss. All of this stuff disguts me (double if its a girl). However, my peers are all convinced its cool.

Part of it is they have no one watching over them (the majority of families in my school have two working parents). Part of it is that our parents give us extreme freedoms (I could easily be a druggie and my parents wouldn't have a clue).

My personal opinion is that the media is teaching kids that its OK to dress/act/think like that, and the people who are supposed to give moral guidance (parents, teachers, religious leaders, etc.) either are not present to give it, or just don't take the effort to give it. Children pratice whatever teaches them, and I believe today that the primary teachers of children are TV and the radio.

And BTW, I am a male teenager and have rampaging hormones, but normally people who dress like the girl in question are a real turn off for me. Enough moralistic ranting for now
Man cannot be wonderful. Man can only lift big rocks and grunt - Me to Ex-girlfriend
On the nail... (none / 0) (#40)
by deefer on Sat Jan 27, 2001 at 06:22:15 PM EST

You have hit the nail square on the head.

It still amazes me that we teach our children the mechanics of sex, and none of the essential parenting skills. When I left compulsory education at 16, I could cook, do basic car maintenance, basic woodwork, and all sorts of useful life skills.

But being a parent is one of the most critical functions that the human race performs, and there was no education for any of us.

It used to be that families would have grandparents around, who could be mentors to the novice parents, and pass on their wisdom. But in this fast paced world, families are disjointed, both in emotional ties and geography, and this critical support network has been broken.
I forget where I saw it, but there was a survey a couple of years ago that linked a childs success at school/university in asian families directly to familial integrity, outperforming indigenous children convincingly. That is what is wrong with society these days; novice parents under pressure to provide fiscally while not having time or experience to deal with their offspring well.

LordHunter - hang in there mate. You don't need to follow the popular crowd to be a worthy person. You'll suffer a while for being an independant thinker, but then you'll reap the rewards in the many years to come. And thanks for giving me some hope in your generation.

Kill the baddies.
Get the girl.
And save the entire planet.

What is the world coming to? | 44 comments (30 topical, 14 editorial, 0 hidden)