Palindrome Day

By wiredog in Culture
Tue Oct 02, 2001 at 01:27:58 AM EST
Tags: etc (all tags)
/etc

If you use the mmddyyyy date format, then Tuesday October 2 is Palindrome Day! The next palindromic date is January 2, 2010.

Sponsor: rusty
This space intentionally left blank
comments (24)
active | buy ad

Huh?
o 10022001 43%
o 01022001 10%
o Trinary notation? 24%
o Inoshiro 21%

o Also by wiredog

Palindrome Day | 39 comments (28 topical, 11 editorial, 0 hidden)
It's also a good day for binary! (10101) [N/T] (3.20 / 5) (#3)
by _Quinn on Mon Oct 01, 2001 at 08:34:27 AM EST

Reality Maintenance Group, Silver City Construction Co., Ltd.
Y2.1K (none / 0) (#33)
by roiem on Wed Oct 03, 2001 at 03:26:30 AM EST

Didn't we learn anything from Y2K? You forgot the century!
90% of all projects out there are basically glorified interfaces to relational databases.
date format (4.50 / 16) (#5)
by jobi on Mon Oct 01, 2001 at 08:49:18 AM EST

Even if you use the more sensible YYYYMMDD, 20011002 is a Palindrome Day. Clearly a day to celebrate!

"[Y]ou can lecture me on bad language when you learn to use a fucking apostrophe."
Uhm, yeah. (none / 0) (#31)
by phobia on Tue Oct 02, 2001 at 11:38:50 PM EST

Any day that is palindromic in MMDDYYYY will also be palindromic in YYYYMMDD.

[ "never talk to strangers" - RFC 1855, 2.1.2 ]

AB/CD/DCBA /\/ DCBA/AB/CD [nt] (1.00 / 1) (#39)
by wji on Fri Oct 12, 2001 at 04:59:00 PM EST

In conclusion, the Powerpuff Girls are a reactionary, pseudo-feminist enterprise.
Confusion (2.33 / 3) (#9)
by Scrymarch on Mon Oct 01, 2001 at 10:21:25 AM EST

Shouldn't it be a Yadcimordnil Ap? Or gniemos?

Did I miss something? (2.00 / 1) (#13)
by fluffy grue on Mon Oct 01, 2001 at 02:17:04 PM EST

Today is 10012001, which is not a palindrome... I mean, okay, I spent all weekend writing code and not sleeping, but I still have wmCalClock telling me what day it is...
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Tomorrow (3.00 / 1) (#14)
by wiredog on Mon Oct 01, 2001 at 02:31:32 PM EST

If there's a choice between performance and ease of use, Linux will go for performance every time. -- Jerry Pournelle
And... (3.00 / 1) (#24)
by rusty on Tue Oct 02, 2001 at 02:03:31 AM EST

If you're in US Central time or east, it posted on just the right day, too. :-)

____
Not the real rusty
oops (2.00 / 1) (#15)
by fluffy grue on Mon Oct 01, 2001 at 02:32:20 PM EST

Apparently I did miss the fact that the article was talking about tomorrow, 10022001.

grue->liedown(struct timeval{tv_sec:1800});
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Fourteenth century (3.00 / 1) (#16)
by roiem on Mon Oct 01, 2001 at 03:27:01 PM EST

Unless I'm mistaken, the last one was 13800831.
Re: Fourteenth century (3.00 / 1) (#17)
by Amorsen on Mon Oct 01, 2001 at 03:45:55 PM EST

Unless I'm mistaken, the last one was 13800831.
That one only works in YYYYMMDD format I think. At least in MMDDYYYY it comes out as 80th day of 13th month. Don't worry about that though, it's the only sensible format anyway.

On the other hand, I don't understand the repulsion you feel towards the perfectly good number 9. My guess at last palindrome day is 13900931, which again only works in ISO-format.

Thirty days 'ave September... [nt] (3.00 / 1) (#18)
by S.Prat on Mon Oct 01, 2001 at 06:48:29 PM EST

Oh. (3.00 / 1) (#23)
by Amorsen on Tue Oct 02, 2001 at 01:51:37 AM EST

Oh.

MMDDYYYY (none / 0) (#32)
by roiem on Wed Oct 03, 2001 at 03:24:22 AM EST

OK, so the last one was really 08311380. It's the same day, because YYYYMMDD and MMDDYYYY palindromes always coincide.
Jolly good. (2.80 / 5) (#19)
by Desterado on Mon Oct 01, 2001 at 07:20:27 PM EST

Well I consider this geeky, so it's +1 FP! Oh, and MMDDYYYY kicks ass.

You've got the flag, I've got your back.
What are you talking about... (2.66 / 6) (#20)
by IriseLenoir on Mon Oct 01, 2001 at 07:45:55 PM EST

with your 'sensible' format??

The format I use is DD-MM-YYYY, i.e. 01-10-2001, i.e. Lundi le 1er octobre 2001. Am I unsensible? Or did you mean sensible as logical? Because the logic of it is beyond me. In the format we use, it starts with the most useful unit to the less useful. In other words, I usualy know what month or year we are. But I often need to check the date to make sure. *rant*Oh well, USians want to impose their way once again.*/rant*
"liberty is the mother of order, not its daughter" - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon

Yes, 'sensible' format! (4.33 / 3) (#26)
by bgarcia on Tue Oct 02, 2001 at 06:56:57 AM EST

YYYYMMDD is the most sensible format... for programmers! You can easily sort the dates cronologically simply by sorting them alphabetically, which is not true of DDMMYYYY.
Oh well, USians want to impose their way once again.
Wow, an ignorant European! I was beginning to think that all ignorance came out of the United States, based on European testimonials on Kuro5hin. Thanks for helping to prove that ignorance is equally distributed across the globe!

FYI, the popular American format is MM-DD-YYYY, which many American programmers will agree is a silly way of expressing the date.

Reading... (none / 0) (#34)
by Refrag on Wed Oct 03, 2001 at 05:02:35 PM EST

Reading (in English) MMDDYYYY flows better than YYYYMMDD (best for sorting) or DDMMYYYY.

Refrag

Kuro5hin: ...and culture, from the trenches

Reading... (none / 0) (#35)
by bgarcia on Thu Oct 04, 2001 at 06:48:43 AM EST

I don't really agree. The only reason it seems easier to read is because we have grown used to the format.

I think "1st of January, 2001" is just as easy as "January 1st, 2001". And if we weren't so accustomed to having the year last, I think "2001 January 1st" would also be easy to comprehend.

Reading... (none / 0) (#36)
by Refrag on Thu Oct 04, 2001 at 10:23:07 AM EST

DDMMYYYY always requires one extra word than MMDDYYYY. So, MMDDYYYY is the easiest format to read in English.

Refrag

Kuro5hin: ...and culture, from the trenches

Ignorance... (none / 0) (#37)
by IriseLenoir on Sun Oct 07, 2001 at 11:02:33 PM EST

First, I am not European. But most importantly, why am I being ignorant here? Because I wasn?t sure about the meaning of a word in a foreign language? Tell me, how many languages do you speak to be so knowledgeable? Or what is because I use a different date format? I can understand why YYYYMMDD is more easily sorted by programs, but programs can also easily reverse the order of the format. Date formats are meant for humans. Am I being ignorant because I don?t think like a program? I think the only thing that makes me ignorant here is not understanding your twisted logic. By the way, is there only Europe and U.S. in the world? Thanks for helping to prove that ignorance about the world is distributed equally in the U.S.
"liberty is the mother of order, not its daughter" - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
Middle-endian dates... (4.00 / 4) (#25)
by locke baron on Tue Oct 02, 2001 at 03:30:10 AM EST

Foo. That date format (MMDDYYYY) never made any sense to me (even though I'm an American, and have seen people do it that way all my life). It always made more sense to me to do it as either YYYYMMDD (big-endian) or DDMMYYYY (little-endian). I generally use little-endian myself. Probably as a result of too much time hacking x86 machines ;-)

Micro$oft uses Quake clannies to wage war on Iraq! - explodingheadboy
Actually, I use a different one... (none / 0) (#27)
by Karmakaze on Tue Oct 02, 2001 at 11:03:57 AM EST

Okay, for file names, I use YYYYMMDD, because is sorts nicer.

For actual content, though, I prefer d mmm YYYY... for example: 2 Oct 2001. This (one) make logical sense of being little-endian, (two) separates the numbers by letters (to avoid numbers eliding into each other when dashes or slashes are lost or garbled), and (three) is unambiguous (to prevent either Americans or Europeans from misreading the date).

In particular, I used to work with documents that went from Europe to the US for multiple revisions, and that was the format that gave me the least trouble.

Karmakaze

2 Oct 2001 (5.00 / 1) (#29)
by mrBlond on Tue Oct 02, 2001 at 03:57:54 PM EST

Theez "Oct" iz yohur 8th mohnth, yes?

CE 2001-10-02 19:59 GMT

<pedant> I love what the U in UTC stands for :) </pedant>
Inoshiro for cabal leader.
ISO 8601! (4.75 / 4) (#28)
by bediger on Tue Oct 02, 2001 at 11:15:32 AM EST

You really should use ISO 8601 format for dates. It has numerous advantages, including vastly reduced confusion and the ability to lexically sort string representations of dates. See the contents of the link for all the other advantages.

For ISO 8601 format dates, "2001-10-02" constitutes the only palindromic date this year.

I urge you to reconsider the nature of "palindrome". Sure, a string that reads the same forward and backward constitutes a palindrome. But a strict reading of that would only leave us with trivial strings like "radar" and "boob". That doesn't cause a lot of joy to anyone, because a simple program can find them:

rev /usr/share/dict/words | paste /usr/share/dict/words - | awk '$1==$2{print $1}'

That code works on a NetBSD machine - Solaris doesn't seem to possess rev, I don't have a bootable linux box available.

Anyway, the trivial nature of strict palindromes leads people to read the definition loosely, allowing the insertion and removal of punctuation characters and markup like inter-word spaces. Doesn't this strike you as a case of stretching the definition just to obtain a slight amount more cuteness? It does to me. That's why I urge you to abandon the loosely defined and always contentious definition of "palindromes". Hold only to the strict definition, and you will avoid arguments over which word weenie can expand "A man, a plan, a canal, Panama!" into the so-called longest palindrome in the world.

-- I am Spartacus.
OT: rev and paste (none / 0) (#30)
by fluffy grue on Tue Oct 02, 2001 at 06:36:29 PM EST

On my Debian box, 'rev' is part of the util-linux package, which is where all of the essential core tools go (such as rdev, fdisk, etc.). For something so core and essential, I'd never heard of it before.

'paste' is part of textutils, with the likes of cat, cut, fold, head, tail, wc, and so forth. (I had never heard of 'paste' before either.) I would think that 'rev' would go better alongside paste.

Time to submit yet another pointless bug report to the Debian bugtracking system... :)
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

favorites (none / 0) (#38)
by akb on Thu Oct 11, 2001 at 06:38:43 PM EST

I'm way late, but so what. My personal favorite is "satan oscillate my metallic sonatas". The longest I've seen is:

A man, a plan, a caret, a ban, a myriad, a sum, a lac, a liar, a hoop, a pint, a catalpa, a gas, an oil, a bird, a yell, a vat, a caw, a pax, a wag, a tax, a nay, a ram, a cap, a yam, a gay, a tsar, a wall, a car, a luger, a ward, a bin, a woman, a vassal, a wolf, a tuna, a nit, a pall, a fret, a watt, a bay, a daub, a tan, a cab, a datum, a gall, a hat, a fag, a zap, a say, a jaw, a lay, a wet, a gallop, a tug, a trot, a trap, a tram, a torr, a caper, a top, a tonk, a toll, a ball, a fair, a sax, a minim, a tenor, a bass, a passer, a capital, a rut, an amen, a ted, a cabal, a tang, a sun, an ass, a maw, a sag, a jam, a dam, a sub, a salt, an axon, a sail, an ad, a wadi, a radian, a room, a rood, a rip, a tad, a pariah, a revel, a reel, a reed, a pool, a plug, a pin, a peek, a parabola, a dog, a pat, a cud, a nu, a fan, a pal, a rum, a nod, an eta, a lag, an eel, a batik, a mug, a mot, a nap, a maxim, a mood, a leek, a grub, a gob, a gel, a drab, a citadel, a total, a cedar, a tap, a gag, a rat, a manor, a bar, a gal, a cola, a pap, a yaw, a tab, a raj, a gab, a nag, a pagan, a bag, a jar, a bat, a way, a papa, a local, a gar, a baron, a mat, a rag, a gap, a tar, a decal, a tot, a led, a tic, a bard, a leg, a bog, a burg, a keel, a doom, a mix, a map, an atom, a gum, a kit, a baleen, a gala, a ten, a don, a mural, a pan, a faun, a ducat, a pagoda, a lob, a rap, a keep, a nip, a gulp, a loop, a deer, a leer, a lever, a hair, a pad, a tapir, a door, a moor, an aid, a raid, a wad, an alias, an ox, an atlas, a bus, a madam, a jag, a saw, a mass, an anus, a gnat, a lab, a cadet, an em, a natural, a tip, a caress, a pass, a baronet, a minimax, a sari, a fall, a ballot, a knot, a pot, a rep, a carrot, a mart, a part, a tort, a gut, a poll, a gateway, a law, a jay, a sap, a zag, a fat, a hall, a gamut, a dab, a can, a tabu, a day, a batt, a waterfall, a patina, a nut, a flow, a lass, a van, a mow, a nib, a draw, a regular, a call, a war, a stay, a gam, a yap, a cam, a ray, an ax, a tag, a wax, a paw, a cat, a valley, a drib, a lion, a saga, a plat, a catnip, a pooh, a rail, a calamus, a dairyman, a bater, a canal--Panama.

Collaborative Video Blog demandmedia.net

Palindrome Day | 39 comments (28 topical, 11 editorial, 0 hidden)