Best thing since sliced Bread?

By Elkor in Culture
Tue Jul 17, 2001 at 08:02:09 PM EST
Tags: News (all tags)
News

Researchers at Oklahoma State University have completed a formula for sliced peanut butter that will be packaged like sliced cheese.

Announced on yahoo Monday, the invention is the brain child of Stewart Kennedy, a marketing specialist, and Danielle Bellmer, a food processing engineer at OSU.

Kennedy says the idea came about at a brain storming session during lunch one day. The advantages were readily apparent to them.

"No more holes in the bread when you spread peanut butter. Little kids can make their own sandwiches. In a word, convenience."

Recently the food service industry has become interested because of the uniform servings available.

Formulated to use the same equipment that is used to wrap cheese slices, it is supposed to taste just like regular peanut butter, but not stick to the wrapper it is packaged in. Being 90% peanut butter, the non-sticky attribute is contributed by a 10% filler.

While the convenience of this is obvious, the following questions come to mind:
Will it stick to the bread?
Is it "spreadable?"
Will it still stick to the roof of your mouth?
Will the texture be like processed cheese?
Should children so young/uncapable they cannot handle making a sandwich be tasked with the responsibility of deciding their own nutritional diet?
Will other sandwich staples be soon to follow?

Apparently the answer to that last question is "yes."

Bellmer is quoted as saying "Actually, a lot of people who hear about the product usually half joke about sliced jelly. No kidding. That's down the road a ways."

The official PB Slice website is located at www.pbslice.com.

Would you use sliced peanut butter?
o Yes! I always love added conveniences. 3%
o Sure, It's easier than keeping jars. 4%
o Maybe. 14%
o Probably not. My kids will plaster the slices on the walls. 4%
o Heck no! I refuse to subjugate my independance! 49%
o No, I'm allergic to nuts. 2%
o 42 20%

o Yahoo
o yahoo
o www.pbslic e.com.
o Also by Elkor

Best thing since sliced Bread? | 57 comments (41 topical, 16 editorial, 0 hidden)
Wow! (3.88 / 9) (#1)
by Jive Billy on Tue Jul 17, 2001 at 05:36:13 PM EST

"Being 90% peanut butter, the non-sticky attribute is contributed by a 10% filler."

Only 10% filler!?! It reads almost like the ingredients of a hot dog package..."90% by-products, 10% filler."

The only thing I worry about is distinguishing between a slice of peanut butter in my fridge or a really old slice of processed cheese.

WAY Off Topic here (3.00 / 2) (#18)
by Skippy on Tue Jul 17, 2001 at 09:44:56 PM EST

But if you want a good hot dog buy kosher. Its like the ads for Hebrew National brand say, kosher hot dog makers "Answer to a higher power" and they're made only with good cuts of beef.
Ack! (4.00 / 5) (#2)
by jabber on Tue Jul 17, 2001 at 05:44:09 PM EST

Well, I guess it was unavoidable. In fact, I'm surprised that no one had come up with 'thick PB flavored Jello' before now.. As for the crunchy stuff, don't we just call that Peanut Brittle?

[TINK5C] |"Is K5 my kapusta intellectual teddy bear?"| "Yes"

easy solution (3.28 / 7) (#4)
by raaymoose on Tue Jul 17, 2001 at 05:56:21 PM EST

if you don't want to rip holes in bread:
A) Use 100% whole wheat bread, at least, heavier the better. B) Use natural peanut butter and stir it well!

What? And you want me to. . . (2.00 / 1) (#7)
by abdera on Tue Jul 17, 2001 at 06:21:16 PM EST

. . . make my low fat velveeta olestra grilled sandwitch on whole wheat bread, too!? That's disgusting! Stick with the chemically fortified white bread. Besides, natural peanut butter doesn't have pictures of Scooby Doo on the jar to keep my kids busy when they pry thier eyeballs from afternoon cartoons to watch me make lunch.

#224 [deft-:deft@98A9C369.ipt.aol.com] at least i don't go on aol

I bet it causes some illness. (3.42 / 7) (#5)
by theboz on Tue Jul 17, 2001 at 05:59:07 PM EST

I'm curious what that 10% actually is. If it's anything like the WOW fat-free chips, or some of those other synthetic food things, it will cause either diahrrea, anal bleeding, stomach cramps, or some other really nasty stuff that somehow makes it past the FDA. Mark my words, they may not find a problem for years, but there has to be something deeply wrong with this stuff.

Stuff.

thoughts (3.60 / 5) (#6)
by dr k on Tue Jul 17, 2001 at 06:13:26 PM EST

a formula for sliced peanut butter

Okay, why "formula" and not "recipe"? Are we trying to wean the next generation off the entire concept of cooking?

the brain child of Stewart Kennedy, a marketing specialist

This is a blatant contradiction. A marketing specialist having a brain?

What would George Washington Carver think?
Destroy all trusted users!

DMCA IP protection maybe? (4.00 / 2) (#19)
by jabber on Tue Jul 17, 2001 at 10:06:58 PM EST

I've not read it, but a 'formula' sounds like a trade secret which you could patent, while a recipe is something your gradma shares with her friends while playing Bridge.. Just a thought.

[TINK5C] |"Is K5 my kapusta intellectual teddy bear?"| "Yes"

Peanut butter is the greatest! (2.66 / 3) (#8)
by halo64 on Tue Jul 17, 2001 at 06:26:59 PM EST

This is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Peanut butter happens to be a main food in my diet and this means I can eat it without bread or even a spoon now.

/* begin sig here
I don't have one because I'm lame
finish sig here */

You HAVE to be kidding me. (topical try) (4.40 / 10) (#9)
by DangerGrrl on Tue Jul 17, 2001 at 06:35:54 PM EST

Over 10 years ago Dennis Miller, on his 'off White Album', went on a rant about the campaign for liquid soap that was geared towards "messy children"... he said something to the effect of - If your kid can't get bar soap down then you should give up right there, he's a retard.

This is how I feel about this article. How Bloody damn LAZY do you have to be not to be able to gentily spread your penut butter on the bread? As for kids making their own - it teaches hand eye coordination, responcibility to clean up their own mess, and gives them a sense of 'I made this' pride. Why would you want to take that away from a child?

Laziness! Didn't I just catch an article on why your kid is an asshole on the front page? I'll tell you why he's an asshole - YOUR SLICING HIS DAMN PENUTBUTTER! That's why!

----

***
I do many things well, none of which generate income.
Um...lazy? Hahaha... (4.25 / 4) (#17)
by CrayDrygu on Tue Jul 17, 2001 at 08:51:20 PM EST

"How Bloody damn LAZY do you have to be not to be able to gentily spread your penut butter on the bread?"

Wow, dude. If you can spread any kind of peanut butter on a slice of Wonder Bread on the first try without breaking it, that's just amazing.

Especially really good peanut butter, which this sliced stuff probably isn't.

Besides, this has countless other applications. Like peanut butter on crackers -- just split the slice into quarters, and you have four perfectly sized slices of peanut butter (that just sounds weird). Or you could wrap the slices around things. Peanut butter and bananas would be so much easier with less potential mess, no?

I'm going to stop now...I just realized that I'm seriously pondering the uses of slices of peanut butter.

Sliced anything (3.75 / 4) (#20)
by jabber on Tue Jul 17, 2001 at 10:13:32 PM EST

Fair point, but don't we all find pre-sliced bread and cold-cuts all that much more convenient than slicing them ourselves? I know I do, but I AM a lazy bastard, so your point stands.

[TINK5C] |"Is K5 my kapusta intellectual teddy bear?"| "Yes"

sorta (none / 0) (#32)
by h2odragon on Wed Jul 18, 2001 at 07:00:17 AM EST

on the other hand, most of the pre-sliced things are too small. The cheese I like to snack on comes in individually wrapped, and sliced but not individual wrapped packages; I pay extra for the latter. Whenever I'm grabbing, I'm after 3 slices minimum; it takes itme, effort, and actual brain useage to unwrap 'em.

...so who's lazier, you or me? :)

liquid soap (3.66 / 3) (#22)
by guinsu on Tue Jul 17, 2001 at 10:55:55 PM EST

Actually, there is a benefit to liquid soap, if you've got a bathroom with resonably heavy traffic, and everyone is washing their hands like they are supposed to, bar soap can turn into a semi-liquid mush and start running off into the dish, wasting soap. Liquid soap solves this problem and really is more convenient and efficient.

oh the irony... (4.50 / 2) (#30)
by yannick on Wed Jul 18, 2001 at 05:51:04 AM EST

of hearing a k5 reader write something like the parent of this post. Most of the technological advancements of the human race came about as a result of someone being too "bloody damn lazy". The computer that you used to write that post initially came about because someone was too "bloody damn lazy" to do tedious mathematical calculations by hand. Sure, you could do it manually, but it's so much faster to do it with a computer. Ditto with the peanut butter.

Cheers,
Yannick
"Hello, World" 17 Errors, 31 Warnings...

Good for Hiking (none / 0) (#44)
by Waldo on Wed Jul 18, 2001 at 11:37:23 PM EST

This is actually great for backpacking. My bulkiest food item is always my jar of peanut butter. It's worst when I'm near the bottom of the jar, when I've got all of this air space using up room in my pack. I'll definitely be buying this.

-Waldo

why not put it in a tube (none / 0) (#56)
by burris on Mon Jul 23, 2001 at 09:37:09 PM EST

Peanut butter in a tube sounds like a better solution for you. Then you could have real peanut butter instead of some crap that's "formulated" with 10% "filler" so it won't gum up the machines or stick to the wrapper.

I hate to spoil ... (3.83 / 6) (#11)
by Kaki Nix Sain on Tue Jul 17, 2001 at 06:44:30 PM EST

... an otherwise, um, something or other idea, but couldn't one get the same benifits (except, I suppose those uniform servings) of this from just putting ordinary peanut butter in a squeezable tube?

squeezable peanut butter (none / 0) (#31)
by bgarcia on Wed Jul 18, 2001 at 06:38:31 AM EST

That's pretty insightful. Now I'll shoot down the idea ;^)

In order for that to work, the peanut butter would have to be pretty thin. Thick peanut butter would probably require a caulking gun to dispense.

And chunky peanut butter. Let's not forget that, it's my favorite.

But I've already run across relish in a squeeze bottle. So it may be possible.

I've also seen peanut butter and jelly already mixed together in a jar. But now I'm probably a bit too far off topic...

pb&j in a jar (none / 0) (#34)
by j1mmy on Wed Jul 18, 2001 at 08:25:57 AM EST

terrible, terrible stuff. I think I tried the smuckers peanut butter and jelly swirl or whatever it's called. the jelly was too mild for my liking and the peanut butter had very poor consistency. and the ratio of peanut butter to jely seemed to lean heavily towards the peanut butter, so the mix of flavors may be unacceptable to some people. on the bright side, making a PB&J sandwich takes only half as long.

Yeah, so... (none / 0) (#39)
by Kaki Nix Sain on Wed Jul 18, 2001 at 04:25:55 PM EST

... you might need a caulking gun type device for some of the really thick stuff. You're not saying that would be bad are you? I would just see that as a bonus. :)

Do the slices come in a chunky version? Not that I care; I don't actually like whole peanuts, so I stick with smooth myself.

Just a thought regarding mixed ingredients... (none / 0) (#40)
by factorial nine on Wed Jul 18, 2001 at 06:29:07 PM EST

... I wonder when Kramer's mustard and catsup in the same jar idea will actually be produced.

So... (none / 0) (#53)
by Sunir on Sun Jul 22, 2001 at 02:56:13 PM EST

chunky peanut butter. Let's not forget that, it's my favorite.

You're the one that keeps buying that crap, keeps it on shelves. Just what kind of freak are you?

Sorry, I just felt like saying that. We have two full mother-donated bottles of chunky peanut butter in our apartment that are completely untouched. For some reason, mothers keep believing that kids like it, despite general consensus that it sucks. Many of my friends and I used to throw out our "chunky" sandwiches at lunch when I was growing up. I didn't realize someone actually does like it.

Freak. ;)

"Look! You're free! Go, and be free!" and everyone hated it for that. --r

I loved chunky peanut butter! (none / 0) (#54)
by MoxFulder on Sun Jul 22, 2001 at 09:31:45 PM EST

I used to get mad at my mom whenever she would forget to buy me EXTRA chunky peanut butter ... I couldn't stand creamy peanut butter.

But, yeah, most of my friends and both of my sisters only liked creamy, so I must have been a deviant. In general, I like foods that have a lot of texture. I can't stand smooth, uniform stuff, whether peanut butter, snails, mushrooms, or white bread.

And in case you're wondering, I thought the kids who tore the crust off their bread were absolutely nuts. It's the best part!

"If good things lasted forever, would we realize how special they are?"
--Calvin and Hobbes

Heard this before (4.66 / 3) (#12)
by Sheepdot on Tue Jul 17, 2001 at 06:51:54 PM EST

I knew I had read this before but heard that a patent was still waiting. I found the following URLS:

Google cache of the second page of a story

Local paper reports

And just as a statement of clarity, neither of those two people mentioned were the sole "inventors" of the PB slices, they are just attempting to successfully market it. They may have also helped in the inspiration or motivation to invent, but it was a team that got the credit, and the University that will get a portion of the paycheck.

Eggs... (2.75 / 4) (#15)
by ucblockhead on Tue Jul 17, 2001 at 07:46:58 PM EST

That's not as bad as the "tube-o-egg product" that fast food restaurants sometimes use for their salads.
-----------------------
This is k5. We're all tools - duxup
No thanks! (3.50 / 4) (#21)
by drivers on Tue Jul 17, 2001 at 10:51:13 PM EST

I like my peanut butter. Ingredients: Peanuts. No partially hydrogenated anything.

Errr, yes and no (3.00 / 1) (#23)
by Type-R on Tue Jul 17, 2001 at 11:05:55 PM EST

I have a friend who's allergic to "hydrogenated vegtable oil" and she's had a hell of a time finding peanut butter that she can eat. It's either the pure "stir it yourself" kind, or Skippy I think.... Most brands would kill her. :|

Well (1.00 / 1) (#27)
by Desterado on Wed Jul 18, 2001 at 01:49:26 AM EST

All I can say is tough shit, Peanut Butter aint that great anyways. I wouldn't mind being allergic to one of it's ingredients, or PB itself.

You've got the flag, I've got your back.
smuckers (none / 0) (#26)
by evin on Wed Jul 18, 2001 at 01:10:59 AM EST

I get smuckers "natural" peanut butter which is just peanuts and salt. Too bad it's so expensive and none of the other brands available here make just plain peanut butter. They all add sugar and oil... I think it tastes much better without the extra stuff

Also, a good tip: if you buy more than one jar at a time, store the unopened jars upside down so the oil moves up to the bottom of the jar. Makes it easier to stir when you open it.

Half-baked idea (3.00 / 4) (#24)
by swr on Tue Jul 17, 2001 at 11:10:32 PM EST

What is the point of this? If people are too lazy/incompetent to spread their own peanut butter, why not just sell them pre-made peanut butter / peanut butter and $foo sandwiches?

Shelf life (none / 0) (#28)
by ajf on Wed Jul 18, 2001 at 02:36:15 AM EST

The bread in a pre-made sandwich will go quite stale in a few days. No doubt this evil peanut butter has been engineered so it can be stored for months - hell, maybe even decades - without noticeable degradation. Long after we bomb ourselves into oblivion, the cockroaches that outlast us will probably live on the peanut butter slices we left behind.

"I have no idea if it is true or not, but given what you read on the Web, it seems to be a valid concern." -jjayson
They do sell premade PB & J sandwiches (5.00 / 1) (#33)
by jbridges on Wed Jul 18, 2001 at 07:53:41 AM EST

No problem with shelf life, they are sold frozen.

Uncrustables

Cha-ching... (4.33 / 3) (#29)
by gnovos on Wed Jul 18, 2001 at 04:19:41 AM EST

Of course the obvious reason for this is to be able to provide less actual peanut butter at a higher cost. Whenever you see a company start chaning around the packaging for your "convience", make a desperate grab for your wallet, becuase someone has already got thier fingers on it.

Don't believe me? Next time you are at the store, do a quick little caculation between the cost of, say a liter of pure grape juice vs. one of those little six ounce boxes of 10%, or if you want a real shock, go price a "Lunchable" (small prepackaged snak lunch thing) by weight. It could be made out of gold and almost cost less...

A Haiku: "fuck you fuck you fuck/you fuck you fuck you fuck you/fuck you fuck you snow" - JChen

Gross (5.00 / 4) (#36)
by dorinda on Wed Jul 18, 2001 at 11:36:56 AM EST

Just horrible, thats all I can think about it. My favorite part of the morning is waking up and carefully spreading out my peanut butter evenly over the bread. Peanut butter is one of my favorite foods. People can corrupt it all they want my making it packaged and easy to put on bread, but I will have no part of it. In my opinion, packaging is a waste of time and plastic. Convience does not outweigh the damages of excess packaging. I'm going to appreciate my extra 2 second of spreading peanut butter.

Easy to spread peanut butter (none / 0) (#48)
by Teehmar on Thu Jul 19, 2001 at 10:40:42 PM EST

I just keep my bread in the freezer, and it's easy to spread peanut butter really thick (1/2 inch), just the way I like it.
Mainly, at the rate I use bread, it's stale before I get 1/2 way through a loaf, unless it's frozen.
But the easy spreadability is a plus.

Freezer Bread (none / 0) (#57)
by dorinda on Mon Aug 06, 2001 at 11:04:37 AM EST

I can't imagine cold bread would taste as nice. The freeze gives stuff that weird smell.

Not that revolutionary an idea anyways... (4.00 / 2) (#41)
by broken77 on Wed Jul 18, 2001 at 07:38:47 PM EST

A few years back, the company that makes philadelphia cream cheese started making cream cheese slices, similar to american cheese slices (and similar to this). Doesn't seem that different to me. Similar consistency, similar idea. But I don't think cream cheese slices caught on very well. I haven't heard of them in ages. Anyone know to the contrary? So maybe this idea won't catch on either...

I'm starting to doubt all this happy propaganda about Islam being a religion of peace. Heck, it's just as bad as Christianity. -- Dphitz

Well, I may be insane, but... (3.00 / 1) (#45)
by Empty_One on Thu Jul 19, 2001 at 12:00:32 AM EST

I swear to God that When I was in my local Jewel Food Store, I saw Kraft Peanut Butter and Jelly slices. Yes, you read that right. It was packaged like cheese slices, and half the slice was purple, and the other half was peanutbutter colored, but they looked like it was made of the same foodstuff type thing. I really wanted to but it just for the goofy/gross factor, but was talked out of it by my GF. All I kept thinking was melted peanutbutter and jelly sandwickes. ewwwww. Emptyone
"Barney sucks! Best Buy sucks! Sony Sucks! Microsoft sucks, Bill Gates is the anti-Christ and John Ashcroft can kiss my ass!" Wil Wheaton
You're not nuts. (3.00 / 1) (#46)
by pixel on Thu Jul 19, 2001 at 10:16:38 AM EST

I saw them too.
- eric - people see the world not as it is, but as they are.
Condemned Condiments (3.00 / 1) (#51)
by anarchartist on Fri Jul 20, 2001 at 07:13:05 PM EST

Condiments are becoming more and more refined by the day, hour, as we speak.

My idea is, perhaps, the biggest money spinner of all though: Why not just package the pre made sandwiches, bread, butter, peanut butter and jelly in one ready to go loaf?

Remember, you heard it here first. >:)