The Original Beer

By razzmataz in Culture
Tue Jul 31, 2001 at 11:17:20 AM EST
Tags: Culture (all tags)
Culture

About a week ago, while reading the Riverfront Times, I stumbled upon a most surprizing article (and any Anheusier-Busch lovers will probably not want to read any further).

According to the article in question, there has been a '100 Years War' going on between Anheusier-Busch and a small brewery in Budejovice, Czech Republic, over the Budweiser name. Evidentally, the czech beer can be called Budweiser in the Czech republic, and the american beer can't use the "The Original" slogan in Europe.

By all means, do go to czechvar's website, it's amusing and sad that they're refering to their beer as (censored), due to the trademark problems. Here's to hoping czechvar comes to St. Louis soon, despite A-B having their HQ here in town!

Best Beer Slogan
o less filling 0%
o taste great 15%
o it really is what you think it is 45%
o Yeah, it's like bud, but it's called Bood 40%

o Riverfront Times
o article
o Budweiser
o czech beer
o czechvar's website
o Also by razzmataz

The Original Beer | 56 comments (55 topical, 1 editorial, 0 hidden)
Damn straight! (4.00 / 3) (#1)
by elenchos on Mon Jul 30, 2001 at 11:23:19 PM EST

I've been there and I've had the beer. Possibly the best beer I ever had, athough I had been driving across Austria and the Czech Republic all day and may have not had the most objective palatte at the time. But I sure would like more of that beer, no matter what they call it.

"Who's making personal remarks now?" the Hatter asked triumphantly.
--Alice in Wonderland

Czech beers (4.00 / 3) (#2)
by Daemosthenes on Mon Jul 30, 2001 at 11:58:37 PM EST

I prefer the Pilsner Urquell myself, but damn, all Czech beers taste great.

Even better than <gasp> German beers!

Almost every country... (3.50 / 2) (#3)
by elenchos on Tue Jul 31, 2001 at 12:24:10 AM EST

...makes really kick ass beer. The freakin Belgians make great beer, for god's sake. The Germans really aren't that special; the special ones are us USians, who for some evil reason either can't or won't make beer that isn't a sin against art and nature.

Mmmm. Beer.

"Who's making personal remarks now?" the Hatter asked triumphantly.
--Alice in Wonderland

German beers... (4.00 / 3) (#5)
by Daemosthenes on Tue Jul 31, 2001 at 12:33:23 AM EST

Well, the only reason I made reference to German beer was the obvious nod to the Bavarian beer drinking culture.

The flag of Bavaria is a checked White and Blue pattern. Do you know why they say White and Blue instead of blue and white? You begin by seing the white head of your beer, then as your become more and more inebriated your view drifts up to the sky, a brilliant blue.

I was just in Munchen (Munich), and witnessed the enormous Bavarian beer culture first hand; the beer gardens capable of seating 10,000 (mainly for Octoberfest), the Hofbräuhaus, the home of Lauenbrau and Paulaner.

When you see men stopping in on their way to work for their 8:00am beer, you know that beer is quite a large part of Bavarian culture. That was the only reason I singled them out in particular for beer comparison.

re: us beer. (3.66 / 3) (#6)
by cicero on Tue Jul 31, 2001 at 01:00:19 AM EST

au contraire (or however you spell it).
you should try just about anything from lagunitas brewing company (dog town pale ale is probably my favorite beer ever), or mendicino brewing company( red tail ale, or blue heron pale ale both jump immediately to mind). These are just two small-mid sized breweries here in northern california, and I know you can find either in safeways all over.

I am sorry Cisco, for Microsoft has found a new RPC flaw - tonight your e0 shall be stretched wide like goatse.
Well, I'll look for it, but... (3.00 / 2) (#9)
by elenchos on Tue Jul 31, 2001 at 02:24:06 AM EST

...at my store I'd have to walk past the Guinness to get to the boutique beers, and that won't be easy. But it if really is like Czech but, it might be worth it.

"Who's making personal remarks now?" the Hatter asked triumphantly.
--Alice in Wonderland

not sure if it's... (3.00 / 3) (#11)
by cicero on Tue Jul 31, 2001 at 02:39:27 AM EST

...better than czech beer, as I've never had it, but it's damn good.

Shiner doesn't suck (3.66 / 3) (#8)
by ubu on Tue Jul 31, 2001 at 02:10:55 AM EST

Shiner Bock, our Texas beer, is a tasty, all-purpose bock that doesn't suck. It's surprisingly good for a domestic brew and it has a great bitter nuttiness that goes well with dinner.

It's not the best beer you've ever had, and if you're really into the skunky flavor of Pilsner Urquell and St. Pauli Girl, you'll probably find it a bit sweet. But I personally can't believe anybody actually drinks the German shit, especially those piss-yellow lagers like Spaten and Heineken.

Ubu

As good old software hats say - "You are in very safe hands, if you are using CVS !!!"
Heineken (4.00 / 1) (#16)
by stormie on Tue Jul 31, 2001 at 07:59:46 AM EST

Heineken is Dutch, not German.

Skunky beer (4.00 / 1) (#46)
by error 404 on Thu Aug 02, 2001 at 12:28:24 PM EST

That skunky flavor is caused by poor handling. Specificaly, when certain things from the hopps are exposed to light, they convert to skunkiness. It is far less likely to happen to a beer in a brown bottle or (Ninkasi have mercy) a can.

A hoppy beer in a clear or green bottle has to be kept in the dark or it will get skunky.

Don't blame the brewer for what happens after the beer leaves his custody. Well, except maybe for the selection of containers.

..................................
Electrical banana is bound to be the very next phase
- Donovan

Skunk beer? (4.00 / 1) (#53)
by pallex on Fri Aug 03, 2001 at 09:00:12 AM EST

Now you`re talking! :)

Other countries... (4.00 / 1) (#14)
by pallex on Tue Jul 31, 2001 at 05:05:22 AM EST

Singha is a great thai beer, gran riserva is a strong dark one, and there are loads of Japanese/Chinese ones (sapporo, asahi etc). India has come up with kingfisher and cobra, both of which are pretty refreshing in the summer (especially kingfisher).
Pretty much all these beers have a clean sharp taste. So there you go.

Those other countries... (4.00 / 1) (#31)
by 87C751 on Tue Jul 31, 2001 at 03:47:19 PM EST

Sapporo and Kirin (and maybe Asahi, but I'm not sure) are now brewed under contract by Molson in Canada. So is Foster's, for the North American market. The astute beer connoisseur will have noticed that Foster's and Kirin (especially Kirin Ichiban) don't taste as good as they once did. Sapporo, on the other hand, stations Japanese supervisors at the Canadian breweries to oversee the production. As a result, Canadian Sapporo is very close to the original Japanese-brewed flavor.

Several other foreign beers are brewed a bit more "locally" for the NordAmericans. Lowenbrau (Miller) and Killian's Irish Red (Unibev, AKA Coors) are a couple that come immediately to mind.

There are, as people have mentioned above, worthwhile American beers. They don't include anything by Anheiser-Busch or Miller. My personal favorite is Anchor Steam Beer. Also worth the experience: Full Sail IPA, Red Hook Double Black Stout and Anchor's Old Foghorn barleywine.

The above is, of course, just my biased beer-drinking opinion. As always, YMMV.

My ranting place.

Depends where you are, (5.00 / 1) (#42)
by pallex on Wed Aug 01, 2001 at 04:52:44 AM EST

i`m in Europe. Asahi is brewed in Belgium, i think. Same goes for some of the American beers.
I bought 2 bottles of Guinness Export the other day (the strong one!! 7.2% or something!) from the same shop. One was brewed in Ireland, the other in Nigeria! I couldn`t tell them apart. But like i said, 7.2%! :)

American beer (5.00 / 2) (#17)
by wiredog on Tue Jul 31, 2001 at 08:14:59 AM EST

The local microbrews are very good. It's the big commercial ones that suck. Think about a hamburger you've made yourself vs McDonalds and you get the idea.

If there's a choice between performance and ease of use, Linux will go for performance every time. -- Jerry Pournelle
Russia is an exception (4.00 / 1) (#19)
by scheme on Tue Jul 31, 2001 at 11:24:17 AM EST

The russian beers I've tried are horrible, worse than american beers .

"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity." --Albert Einstein

Ya otchin mnogo pyu Baltika #6 i #7 (4.00 / 1) (#32)
by Quietti on Tue Jul 31, 2001 at 04:06:38 PM EST

v Rossiye

Forget about the Moskovan piss called Efes, grab a 24-pack of cheap Nyevskoye for a pleasant party beer, enjoy a cold Botchki or Vyborgskoye's deep taste and, most of all, discover the full range of excellent St-Petersburg marvel called Baltika - my personal favorite ones being receipes number 6 (porter) and 7 (ale).

Suomessa / i Finland

Common Finnish beers, be it Lapin Kulta, Karhu, Karjala or Sandels pretty much all have the same strong taste - Koff is the pissable exception used as cheap booze in student parties. However, local beers abound all over the country, my favorite one being Musta Hevonen (strong dark beer with a honey taste - a bit like the Budvar mentioned above). However, Koff recently started producing a couple of specialty beers, including a rather decent porter and a passable red ale (similar to the Irish Kilkenny) also.

The whole point of civilization is to reduce how much the average person has to think. - Stef Murky
In Western Michigan (none / 0) (#43)
by pyramid termite on Wed Aug 01, 2001 at 08:15:03 AM EST

... is Battle Creek's Arcadia Brewery. They make some very good English style beer. There's a lot of small breweries in America that make great beer.

The less said about the popular brands, the better. They were a lot better 20 years ago, except Miller, which always sucked.
On the Internet, anyone can accuse you of being a dog.
Arcadia! (4.00 / 1) (#48)
by 87C751 on Thu Aug 02, 2001 at 02:32:26 PM EST

I lived in Michigan for 2 years. Arcadia IPA is one of my favorite IPA brews (along with New Amsterdam and Full Sail).

My ranting place.

Na Zdravi! (4.60 / 5) (#4)
by EricsTrip on Tue Jul 31, 2001 at 12:31:46 AM EST

I've actually visited that exact brewery in Ceske Budejovice, and god damn.

Let me tell you, that not only will you get delicious beer that doesn't compare to anything brewed in North America, you will get cool-ass Czech beer foods - such as something called ( at least in English ) The Otter Hunter's Sandwich, which, the bartender assured me, is not made from otter. It's like pieces of ground pork, toasted on a heavily spiced piece of rye bread, and it goes fantastically with the Budvar.

Also, I got a kick out of the fact that the bartenders look like cartoon British bartenders from the 1890s - big, bald guys, with that sideburns-turns-to-moustache that the girls go wild for these days.

Pop quiz (4.00 / 3) (#7)
by decaf_dude on Tue Jul 31, 2001 at 02:09:27 AM EST

Which is the original Budweiser?
  1. American
  2. Czech
Hint: if you cool both down to the exact same temperature, one is a poor excuse for beer and tastes like refridgerated piss (yes, I do speak from experience), the other is a really good beer from a country famous for quality beers and Skoda cars.

My friends say I was in Prague. I don't quite recollect, though...

thats news? (4.16 / 6) (#12)
by thopo on Tue Jul 31, 2001 at 03:09:17 AM EST

Everyone knows American Beer looks like piss and tastes like piss (actually like 60% water and 40% beer). No flavor no anything. The USAmericans cuisine (if you can call it that) has a very artificial and boring taste in general.
The best beer in the world is the german Weizen Bier (wheat beer). You wont go back to any Pilsner (even good ones) or anything. So if you ever spot an ice cold Paulaner, Franziskaner, Löwenbräu or Erdinger in your shop grab all of them.

the grammar police can stay at home
Hacker-Pschorr Weisse-Bier or Leffe (none / 0) (#23)
by jabber on Tue Jul 31, 2001 at 12:11:26 PM EST

Anything else is not really a beer.

[TINK5C] |"Is K5 my kapusta intellectual teddy bear?"| "Yes"

No, you are wrong. (5.00 / 1) (#24)
by stinkwrinkle on Tue Jul 31, 2001 at 12:11:28 PM EST

There are many excellent American beers. The piss mass-produced in gigaliter vats by Bud, Miller and Coors are not among them, true. Fortunately for me, we don't have to drink them just because they're made here.

I'm not sure what you mean by denigrating USAmerican cuisine; I think you mean its not like what you eat. Our cuisine tends to be the cuisine of whatever immigrants brought. Some you'll like, some you won't.

And finally, wheat beer sucks. Why do you think its served with lemon? To cover up the nastiness! Which simply proves matters of taste aren't quantifiable in a best/worst matter. Drink what you like, even Weizenbier.

think again (none / 0) (#29)
by thopo on Tue Jul 31, 2001 at 03:24:47 PM EST

In what fucking country on this earth is wheat beer served with lemon? That should be forbidden by International Law.
I guess you did never taste a real wheat beer then, i have no idea what is sold as wheat beer in the USA. Probably piss beer mixed with wheat beer or sth. like that.
Make a trip to Germany and taste real wheat beer there, then we can go on with that discussion.

Back to the cuisine: ok technically speaking every USAmerican is an immigrant. So what immigrants brought *burgers and all that stuff over there?. What about pancakes with pure sugar sirup or peanut butter? Coke for breakfast and lunch anyone? Most USAmericans don't even know what real bread taste likes, they eat that white soft stuff other countries use as toast.

the grammar police can stay at home
Lemons (4.00 / 2) (#33)
by kapital on Tue Jul 31, 2001 at 04:41:21 PM EST

The tradition of putting Lemon in weizens originated in Bavaria, though I think it's fallen out of fashion there. It's actually not bad in a real Bavarian-style weizen.

Unfortunately, most places that sell wheat beer in the US have taken to putting a big chunk of lemon into anything with wheat in it, whether it's a traditional weizen or the more common "wheat ale", which is more along the lines of a koelsch (and often mislabeled "weizen", but that's a different rant)... and don't get me started on the retards who actually squeeze the lemon into the beer.

insult (3.00 / 1) (#35)
by thopo on Tue Jul 31, 2001 at 05:49:22 PM EST

That has to be an old forgotten tradition then - it just sounds all wrong. And everyone who squeezes the lemon is insulting me.

ps. The comments on the USAmerican cuisine weren't supposed to come out that harsh, I apologize for that. But the lemon thing just shocked me.

the grammar police can stay at home
The Dutch are retards? (4.75 / 4) (#37)
by Sax Maniac on Tue Jul 31, 2001 at 09:40:39 PM EST

Geez, so much beer snobbery from either end. I'd like to counter the American beer sucks attitude, the Budweiser sucks attitude, and the lemon in beer is wrong attitude.

In the Netherlands, they serve Witbier (white beer) not only with lemon, but with a plastic mashing utensil. You're expected to mash it into the beer. So, the next time you're in a bar in Amsterdam, please tell all the locals that they are retards. I'm sure they'll buy you a round for your candor.

Lemon is common to add to wheat beers, especially unfiltered ones. Some people mash it in, some don't. Neither is wrong or right, and calling people stupid or retards because they do is just as silly calling someone retard because they put mustard on their hamburger. They like it, it's personal taste, they're not the only one in the world to do so, leave them alone. Goddamn beer snobs.

I'm a homebrewer and I appreciate great beer, but a beer snob castigates other people for what they drink, rather than being helpful and offering something they might like better.

Budweiser, in fact, is not a horrible beer. It is a good beer, and if you knew anything about beer at all, you'd know so. Producing a beer in vast quantites with the quality control they have, and still taste consistent despite variations of water chemical contents in different parts of the country, different hop yields from year to year, and grain is difficult. As far as the style goes (light American-style lagers) Bud is one of the best quality examples of the style.

Comparing Budwiser to the Czech Bud is ridculous, they are different styles of beers. They are supposed to taste different! Chocolate is supposed to taste different than vanilla!

But Bud is just one style of many. Just because you don't like a style, again, is no reason to call people who enjoy it "stupid" or makes the style invalid. I liken an American Light Lager to vanilla ice-cream: not too flavorful, but good when you want it, and doesn't offend a lot of people. There's a lot more flavorful beer styles/ice cream flavors out there. I mostly prefer German and British beers, but an occasional Bud hits the spot nicely. I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Think of it this way: does it make sense to say "Vanilla ice cream sucks! Anyone who eats it should have a lobotomy! The only valid ice cream flavors are pistachio, rum-raisin, and maple-walnut!"

And to those of you who think all American beer is all bad, think again. What you think of American beer is just the stuff that makes it out of the border and is heavily marketed by megacorporations. Someone drew a parallel between Bud and McDonalds, and this is a good way of describing it. You don't think McDonalds is the height of American cuisine, do you? American beer does not mean Light Lager which does not mean Bud.

Perhaps take a look sometime at all the international beer competitions in the world and see how the USA places.

Not only that, but try buying a weizenbier in the middle of Dublin or a stout in Berlin sometime. Say what you say about the US beer scene, but you can go to just about *any* restaurant nowadays and have your choice of Guinness, Bass, or Hacker-Pschorr. The US has come a long way in the last few years when all you could get anywhere was a light lager, and frankly, as someone who has lived in Europe, it's better here.

I can walk down to the local pub, literally five minutes by foot, and have choice of 100 beers from around the world. Fifty on tap, fifty in the bottle. Most major towns have a brewpub nearby where, while not having quite a selection, you can pick between a brown, pale, stout, porter, octoberfest, wit, hefeweizen, or pilsener.

If you posted any of this drivel on a serious beer-related newsgroup, you'd be laughed out.

Umm... what was the topic again? ;)
Stop screwing around with printf and gdb and get a debugger that doesn't suck.

taste police can stay at home (5.00 / 1) (#36)
by f00b4r on Tue Jul 31, 2001 at 07:28:50 PM EST

Speaking as someone who lives in the US, I dont know a single person that drinks Cokes for breakfast... Nor do most of the people I know care for white bread. I agree that your milage may very depending on your group of friends and what not. Yes I HAVE heard of people drinking Coke for breakfast and lunch, but they are few and far between.

So now that is out of the way... Why do you care what other people drink with their beer, drink for breakfast or lunch, or put on both sides of their peanut butter. If someone likes the taste of lemon in their beer, who are you to complain about it. Do you drink their beer? Nope? OK then its none of your concern.

I like Coke with some meals, I like lemon with some beers, if you dont like it... umm who cares?

Maybe you should practice being a little bit more accepting of others. Its not like you are more important than anyone else right?

Don't Ignore US Micro Brews (4.00 / 2) (#26)
by dagoski on Tue Jul 31, 2001 at 01:55:09 PM EST

True, US mass market beer may as well be chilled, recycled urine, but ever since the late 80s there's been a gaggle of small domestic beer companies putting out some good brews. I'm not much of a beer drinker, but I keep finding good regional beers everytime I get a hankering for a good brew. And, last, but not least, gentrification ain't all bad. One of the trends I've seen sweep Seattle and other yuppified areas is the brew-pub. There's lots of establishments around that brew their own beer and do a pretty good job of it. In Ann Arbor we have three of these and the competition makes for a lot of good drink. Unfortunately it ain't cheap. And, that's the bad side of the local yuppification trend: rents commerical and otherwise keep going up, driving the cost of everything through the roof. Too bad I can't afford decent beer very often.

i (none / 0) (#30)
by thopo on Tue Jul 31, 2001 at 03:30:46 PM EST

would really like to taste any of them. But if they are hard to find even in the US i think its next to impossible to get them over here.

the grammar police can stay at home
Where does it say... (none / 0) (#51)
by eightball on Thu Aug 02, 2001 at 10:54:09 PM EST

That microbrews are hard to find in the US?

US vs Aussie Beer plus beware Fosters in the US (4.00 / 1) (#34)
by cam on Tue Jul 31, 2001 at 04:44:33 PM EST

>No flavor no anything.

When I first came to the US I had trouble with their Beers. Australian beers are flavourless and bitter, US beers occupy the opposite end of the scale and are flavourful but bitterless. There are even adds proclaiming "never bitter". My opinion is if you cant handle your beer, drink water. One of the reasons Australians and Americans are disparitive of the others beer, is IMO because they occupy the far opposite ends of how beers can taste and assuage. Mainland European beers are some middle ground and Irish beers are the closest thing to Aussie beer. Supposedly the odd American taste for beer came from the prohibition days when all the homemade beer stocks were of odd quality. Previous to then the American pallette for beer was more the Irish/German beer end of the spectrum, which is also the Aussie end of the spectrum.

There are some very good American Beers around. I particurely like the North Eastern Beers from Massuchessets, New York State and New Hampshire, like Sam Adams, Dundas Lager and the multitudes of micro-breweries. One of the good things about being in the US is that there is a lot of North American, Central American and European beers imported. In Australia Corona is a fairly expensive imported beer, in the US it is dirt cheap. I drink Corona thinking I am a million bucks when it is less than a $ a beer.

The representation of Australian beers in the US is very poor. The only Australian made beers I have been able to find in the US is Coopers ale and Sheaf Stout. None of the great domestics like Victorian Bitter, Reschs Real or Tooheys Red which is a shame. (For my pallette anyway)

The Fosters that is sold in the US tastes like US domestic beer, some amalgam of Miller and Bud, the imported signs on it are a sham, it is brewed in Canada. Apparently Fosters tastes like English domestic in the UK, like New Zealand domestic in NZ and in Australia it is brewed along the same lines as VB, which means in Australia it is an Australian domestic. So Fosters is selling the US an Australian image but they are being duped into drinking US beer. Fosters is the Australian McDonalds.

Outback Steakhouse is the same, it is American food with Australian names, what a sham. Same with the Suburu Outback, nothing Australian about it. If they were really selling Australian cars they would be Holden HZ Sandman's with pushrod V8's, Holden Torana's with fluffy dice and fat overweight boy-racer Holden Commodores for wannabe execs, not semi-SUV luxury and elegance.

cam
Freedom, Liberty, Equity and an Australian Republic

Some more background ... (4.66 / 6) (#13)
by aphrael on Tue Jul 31, 2001 at 03:10:44 AM EST

There's some interesting history to this. Ceske Budjovice is the town where Budvar is brewed, and the German name for that town is Budweis; the german name for the beer brewed in that town is Budweiser. Like *all* companies in the Austro-Hungarian empire, the brewery that makes that beer lost the international trademark rights to the Budweiser name after the end of WWI (as also happened, for example, to Bayer AG); it never regained those rights, although there is a complex network of bilateral trade agreements between the CR and various countries that allows Budvar to be marketed as Budweiser in some countries and not in others.

At one point, Anheuser-Busch tried to end the dispute by buying the brewery; the czech government responded by changing the law to make that impossible.

For what it's worth, Ceske Budvar *does* taste much better. :)

Pilsner Urquell: Real Pilsner (4.00 / 1) (#21)
by xdc on Tue Jul 31, 2001 at 11:41:56 AM EST

Just as the real Budweiser comes from the Czech town of České Budějovice, true Pilsner, such as Pilsner Urquell, is brewed in Plzeň. Many American liquor stores carry Pilsner Urquell, and I recommend giving it a try. All of my friends who have drank it agree that it's very good beer.

MLP dept.: Here's a worthwhile little write-up about Czech beer and its associated culture, and another one on the history of Czech beer.

But of all of those (4.00 / 1) (#27)
by aphrael on Tue Jul 31, 2001 at 02:01:38 PM EST

I think the best is the dark staropramen. :)

I also had a beer whose name i can't remember that was brewed in kutna hora; it was really neat. :)

Pilsner Urquell (4.50 / 2) (#50)
by Lizard on Thu Aug 02, 2001 at 05:00:14 PM EST

If you do want to try Pilsner Urquell, I suggest that you buy it at a liquor store in a larger city that does fairly large sales of imported beers. By all acounts that I've heard Urqell is an excellent Pilsner and an all around good beer, but I've had nothing but bad luck with it. Every 6-pack of it that I've tried here in small town Iowa has been hopelessly skunked (skunky beer is caused by light damage to the hop oils in the beer, it's exaggerated in Urqell by being packaged in less light resistant green bottles). Chances are that there is an authentic Pilsner style beer produced in your area that is well worth drinking. For those in the upper midwest US, I suggest the pilsner from Capital brewing in Madison, WI.
________________________
Just Because I Can!
aka Budvar (4.66 / 3) (#15)
by stormie on Tue Jul 31, 2001 at 07:56:27 AM EST

This beer is sold in London under the name Budvar, and is quite popular. And quite a tasty beer, I must say.

I've only had the misfortune to taste the American Budweiser once, and all I can say is: there can't be any trademark conflict between the two, as they're clearly in different industries! The Czech company makes beer, and Anheusier-Busch makes undrinkable piss-water!

For some strange reason though, Budweiser seems to be one of the most popular bottled beers in London city bars. Even some people I work with drink it. And, worse still, they charge "premium" price for it !!

You see it everwhere... (4.00 / 1) (#22)
by jbrw on Tue Jul 31, 2001 at 11:49:18 AM EST

...because Budweiser/the distributors give really good offers to the bars to stock it.

For example, my local bar was given a few Budweiser fridges when he bought a few dozen cases of beer - which he then heavily discounted (he needed some new fridges anyway).

Budvar, as you say, is rather tasty. The bar I lurk in, given the chance, stocks Negro Modelo (sp?), for more or less the same cost. So I normally end up with one of those... It's all good.
"We beat the .usians at their own game of zero tolerance"

Slogan trivia (4.80 / 5) (#18)
by Mertamet on Tue Jul 31, 2001 at 11:15:43 AM EST

In the US everyone knows that Budweiser is "The King of Beers" but no one knows that the REAL czech Budweiser is "The Beer of Kings."

US Bud gives pilsener a bad name. Echh, they use Cluster hops forgodsake! Not a Saaz in sight.

i don't understand... (1.50 / 2) (#20)
by flummox on Tue Jul 31, 2001 at 11:32:41 AM EST

how this article made the front page... i guess beer really gets you people going...

anyways...

cap'n flummox

...bring me my cheese...

Yep (1.00 / 1) (#39)
by Wing Envy on Tue Jul 31, 2001 at 10:22:31 PM EST

I'd have to agree with you.

You don't get to steal all the deficiency. I want some to.
-mrgoat
Small local brewerys, if they exist... (4.50 / 2) (#25)
by tomte on Tue Jul 31, 2001 at 01:36:33 PM EST

...make everywhere the best beer around
As a <grin>well educated</grin> german I can´t stand national-pride (and can´t understand the nation-concept anyway), but I´m well known for my locality-patriotism, and that leads to the reasoning above; that and reading a lot of us-based comments to the article :-).
Despite of budvar there´s no single beer in world-wide export I know of that´s excellent in the true sense of this word. German brewerys very often have a cheaper for sale with the addition "export" to the beers normal name. And thats the kind of piss-beer americans get if they buy german beer.
And, just to be sure, you don´t know what beer is, if you haven´t had a Jever Pils :-) (thats for local-patriotism).
to conclude this sermon, a Tip from a german beer-lover: Always try to get a grip on a localy-brewed beer and never stick to just one sort: It´s unsave to sleep around with strangers, strange beers just give you a hangover (which is just the nickname for the city I live, hannover, and we have an excellent local beer, too)
Funny. There's a brightness dial on the monitor, but the users don't get any smarter.
Not All American Beer is Bad (4.50 / 2) (#28)
by opensourcebeer on Tue Jul 31, 2001 at 02:24:38 PM EST

Okay, lets not call *all* American beer crap. Yes, Anheusier Busch's idea of hops is to drive the hops truck by the factory a couple of times. Yes, Keystone is worst beer ever created. And yes, Coors and Miller products taste like bottled piss and are likely to cause explosive diarrhea.

However, the US does have a great variety of microbreweries and brewpubs, most of which have good regional or even national exposure. And they produce excellent beers. A couple of quick examples:
Saxon - Lagers - Oregon
New Belgium Brewery - Abbey style ales - Colorado
Three Floyds - variety of Ales - Illinois

So why does A-B, Miller, etc have such a huge following in the US? Three reasons:
1. Marketing. Enough said.
2. Prohibition. Yup, prohibition sent a lot of unique breweries and american styles of beer to the grave, which have only recently begun to see the light of day again.
3. WWII. GIs stationed in the Pacific did not want a Stout or Porter. It was hot and they wanted a light, watery beer. In addition, women working in factories wanted a lighter beer to drink as well. Thus, the watery US beer you see today was born.

I brew my own beer, because frankly, life's to short to drink A-B or Miller. When I run out of homebrew stock, I can grab just about any US microbrew available at the liquor store and be very happy.

cdl

US Microbreweries (5.00 / 1) (#44)
by The Solitaire on Wed Aug 01, 2001 at 12:16:11 PM EST

Actually I read somewhere that the US has more microbreweries than any other country in the world! I've drunk a lot of different beers from around the world, and though US beers aren't my favourites, there's certainly nothing wrong with them either. Really, I'm not that big a fan of many German beers either, simply because Germany produces a lot of lagers and I tend to enjoy the darker ales.

If I had to choose a country that has the best beers in the world, my choice would be Belgium - hands down. Remember, that's just my pick. I'm not saying anyone else should agree with me.

One last thing - I just picked up "Michael Jackson's Beer Companion" (not the singer - the beer expert). While I haven't had a chance to go through it cover to cover, it looks remarkably comprehensive, with a lot of interesting beer trivia, and descriptions of the major (and some not-so-major) styles (with example brands).

I need a new sig.
Beer Hunter (none / 0) (#45)
by opensourcebeer on Wed Aug 01, 2001 at 02:27:14 PM EST

If you enjoy Michael Jackson, I recommend checking out his video series "The Beer Hunter"; entertaining and a great look inside different breweries throughout the world.
cdl

Plastic Beer? (3.00 / 1) (#52)
by alkafluence on Fri Aug 03, 2001 at 08:39:45 AM EST

>And yes, Coors and Miller products taste like bottled piss and are likely to cause >explosive diarrhea.

Especially when you subject yourself to buying the stuff in the plastic bottles.

IMHO- just skip the beer and go straight to the hard alcohol.

The Hunter's Horn - Draft Beers of the World (3.00 / 1) (#38)
by sexyblonde on Tue Jul 31, 2001 at 09:59:42 PM EST

I don't like the taste of beer but my hubby does :-) Here's a cool link I found on-line

The Hunter's Horn - Draft Beers of the World

That website is (4.00 / 1) (#41)
by odaiwai on Wed Aug 01, 2001 at 01:20:58 AM EST

woefully inadequate.

The only English Beer is Boddingtons? Get outta here.

dave
-- "They're chefs! Chefs with chainsaws!"
agreed (4.00 / 1) (#49)
by marimba on Thu Aug 02, 2001 at 04:07:18 PM EST

And not a single German beer mentioned? Absolut wirtlos.

As a St. Louis native... (3.00 / 1) (#40)
by skeezix on Wed Aug 01, 2001 at 12:13:26 AM EST

I couldn't agree more! Bring us the real beer! personally my favourite beer is Double Dragon, a Welsh ale. Anyone had it?

Inventor of Brew Pub dead at 73 (4.00 / 1) (#47)
by wiredog on Thu Aug 02, 2001 at 01:19:03 PM EST

This seemed like a good place to post this... From the Seattle Times comes the news that Bert Grant, inventor of the modern brew pub, has died.

Quote: "Mr. Grant, who railed against the relatively bland, uniform taste of nationally distributed beers, always carried a vial of hop oil in his pocket to add to run-of-the-mill beers he sometimes drank"

Fosters: Canadian for beer (3.00 / 1) (#54)
by KaizerWill on Sat Aug 04, 2001 at 01:26:36 PM EST

anyone else noticed that Fosters is brewed and bottled in Canada? It says so on the label. I dont know about the rest of you, but to me that makes it seem a little less australian...

You were there for that...
Joke... (3.00 / 1) (#55)
by nickwkg on Mon Aug 06, 2001 at 08:11:01 AM EST

Q. What does American beer and having sex in a boat have in common?

A. They're both fucking close to water :)

Sorry - couldn't resist. Anyway, everyone knows that the best pilsner is Grøn Tuborg.

The only question is... (none / 0) (#56)
by IriseLenoir on Fri Aug 10, 2001 at 07:42:36 AM EST

Is that Czech beer any good? Cause USian beer tastes like pee.

"liberty is the mother of order, not its daughter" - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon

The Original Beer | 56 comments (55 topical, 1 editorial, 0 hidden)