A Hello Kitty Primer!

By enani in Culture
Thu Sep 13, 2001 at 12:11:26 AM EST
Tags: Culture (all tags)
Culture

Moshi-moshi! I believe that we need to know about something that makes people very happy! And the happiest thing around is Hello Kitty!

Some background! Hello Kitty was first shown to the world on November 1, 1974! This makes her turning 27 years old this year! But just because she is old does not mean that she is not still young at heart!

In fact it is very true that Sanrio would like shouyen of all ages to be happy! Even in starting a family! (When you are seeing this article this may have been moved into the archives and you would have to look for "Hello Kitty Wedding!")

Sanrio does not make only Hello Kitty! In fact they have a large number of characters which are all charming and some of them are even made for danji like Badtz Maru! They are even introducing new characters all the time like the very recent Usahana who is kawaii!

Although Hello Kitty has never been a cartoon it has always been very easy to bring her and her friends into your home! Sanrio has their own stores around the globe and they also have a partnership with Target! And now they even have an online shopping store with Yahoo!

Thanks to the marvels of modern technology you can get not only Hello Kitty toasters and hair dryers and Nokia cellphone faceplates and the like but you can also get a Hello Kitty chiropractic massager!

Many people have such a love for Hello Kitty that they see a future of Hello Kitty!

Hello Kitty is a very technologically-savvy kitty! She chose the energy-efficient Transmeta Crusoe 4-way VLIW software-scheduled superscalar CPU for her kawaii notebook computer! (As you may know, it is the case that some of the x86 instruction scheduling code was written by Linus Torvalds! He is so dreamy! I do not agree with his opinion that the Mach operating system kernel is baka simply because it is a microkernel however! But that is a topic of another article!)

Let me conclude by saying that Hello Kitty is very fun and kawaii! And I hope that you agree and that she and her other Sanrio friends make you happy! Or even that you do not agree and that this article at least helps you to forget about the masu-baka poopyheads in the world! If that does not work then you can make some happy yummy wasabi beef noodle soup or some yummy gyoza or some even yummier gyoza!

Saionara for now!

I like Sanrio!
o True! Hello Kitty is kawaii! 21%
o Some true! I like one or two of the characters! 5%
o Not really! I do not like cuteness very much! 3%
o False! But I do not mind people being happy! 13%
o I am a masu-baka poopyhead who wants to hurt Sanrio and all of its characters and all of the people who like its characters! 15%
o I am not sure! 4%
o The other options do not quite work and so I will make a comment on my true feelings so that you might know! 5%
o I just need a hug right now! 30%

o hair dryers
o Nokia cellphone faceplates
o chiropract ic massager
o a future of Hello Kitty
o Transmeta Crusoe
o kawaii notebook computer
o happy yummy wasabi beef noodle soup
o yummy gyoza
o even yummier gyoza
o Also by enani

A Hello Kitty Primer! | 84 comments (69 topical, 15 editorial, 0 hidden)
One question: (3.70 / 10) (#1)
by spacejack on Wed Sep 12, 2001 at 03:52:36 PM EST

Are you, or have you ever been, an employee of Sanrio?

No! (4.14 / 7) (#2)
by enani on Wed Sep 12, 2001 at 03:55:02 PM EST

I have not! Arigato for asking however!
--=* Moshi-moshi! *=--
Hello Kitty cartoon. (3.83 / 6) (#7)
by delmoi on Wed Sep 12, 2001 at 04:59:04 PM EST

I saw a Hello Kitty on TV once. So I'm sure there was one at some time.
"'argumentation' is not a word, idiot." -- thelizman
That is very interesting! (4.60 / 5) (#8)
by enani on Wed Sep 12, 2001 at 05:09:34 PM EST

I was not aware of any cartoon and neither are any of the various Hello Kitty FAQs which I have found on the Internet and consulted for the writing of this article! It may have been a commercial for Sanrio or a parody of some sort that you had seen and you are misremembering it as being an actual Hello Kitty cartoon! I would be interested in seeing more information on this however! But please keep in mind that memory is not very reliable and can be manipulated very easily! (This is very bad when it is a masu-baka poopyhead who is doing the manipulation! That would be VERY NOT NICE and I would have to ask Ryo-Ohki-chan to turn into a spaceship and LAND ON THE POOPYHEAD and then turn back into Ryo-Ohki-chan and CUDDLE him until he realizes how MEAN he has been!)
--=* Moshi-moshi! *=--
True otaku should know INSTINCTIVELY (3.66 / 3) (#47)
by J T MacLeod on Thu Sep 13, 2001 at 10:46:13 AM EST

Hello Kitty has been a cartoon many times over.

Hayashibara Megumi had her first starring role in the mid 1980s as Kitty-Chan in the animated series "Hello Kitty"!

There have been several animated incarnations, including at least one which was translated into English for America in the late 80s/early 90s and another which was translated by Disney in the late 90s.

...and if you must ask who Hayashibara Megumi is, you shame yourself!

Hrm? (none / 0) (#76)
by delmoi on Sat Sep 15, 2001 at 09:48:28 PM EST

I thought Ryo-Ohki-chan was female.
"'argumentation' is not a word, idiot." -- thelizman
Hai! (5.00 / 1) (#77)
by enani on Sun Sep 16, 2001 at 03:43:17 AM EST

I did not say anywhere that Ryo-Ohki-chan was not female! I think you are being confused with the "verb subject" and "verb direct object" in my sentences! Every instantiation of the "him" was in the "verb direct object" sort and was referring to the masu-baka poopyhead as a pronoun reference! This is why I do not like vague languages like English and Perl because pronouns and implied references are very confusing and vague and it can be very difficult to know what one word is referring to in a sentence! It is not excitement in the mouth!
--=* Moshi-moshi! *=--
That last sentence... (none / 0) (#78)
by bunsen on Sun Sep 16, 2001 at 02:19:46 PM EST

>It is not excitement in the mouth!

Reading this statement, I cannot help but be reminded of the Orz from Star Control II. Did anyone else get that impression? I didn't think so. Never mind then.

Do not forget to *enjoy the sauce*!

Do you want your possessions identified? [ynq] (n)

The Orz are kawaii! (none / 0) (#79)
by enani on Sun Sep 16, 2001 at 07:21:39 PM EST

I love the Orz! They are so kawaii and happy! But I think that they should come in from outside! It is very cold outside and I would not want them to catch cold! Especially because they dance a lot! With many bubbles! I do not think that being outside you should dance with many bubbles! One time I made them some good and hot wasabi beef soup for them but they did not eat it! Instead they squeezed it and frumpled! And they did not enjoy the sauce! It made me sad! u_u
--=* Moshi-moshi! *=--
I did too (4.40 / 5) (#9)
by nurglich on Wed Sep 12, 2001 at 05:29:36 PM EST

That would be Hello Kitty's Furry Tale Theater. It was a short-lived Saturday morning cartoon show something like ten or twelve years ago that I watched a few times. I can't believe I remember this...

------------------------------------------
"There are no bad guys or innocent guys. There's just a bunch of guys!" --Ben Stiller, Zero Effect

DOMO ARIGATO! ^_^ (4.00 / 4) (#10)
by enani on Wed Sep 12, 2001 at 05:50:50 PM EST

Now I must find a copy of some episodes! Preferrably on VCD but DivX would be very good as well!

I have a new quest!

But I can see why it failed as a cartoon! It would appear that Hello Kitty-chan HAS A MOUTH! This is WRONG!

And yet it seems so right! I am confused!

But yes! Some people have some episodes! They also have episodes of a different Hello Kitty cartoon called "Hello Kitty and Friends!"

I am going into Hello Kitty revelation shock! @_@
--=* Moshi-moshi! *=--

Supposedly (none / 0) (#75)
by delmoi on Sat Sep 15, 2001 at 09:27:55 PM EST

The mouth only appears when she speaks.
"'argumentation' is not a word, idiot." -- thelizman
KAWWAAAAAIIIIII! (3.00 / 2) (#34)
by odaiwai on Thu Sep 13, 2001 at 01:48:24 AM EST

I've got a hello kitty VCD I got for my daughter. However, she displays excellent taste and keeps ignoring it.

A friend of mine has a Hello Kitty Vibrator.

dave
-- "They're chefs! Chefs with chainsaws!"
Hello Kitty on TV (4.25 / 4) (#23)
by driptray on Wed Sep 12, 2001 at 08:54:15 PM EST

Hello Kitty is on TV every weekday morning in Japan, in both cartoon form and "person in a Hello Kitty suit" form.

I've seen it with my own eyes. So has my daughter, who has quite a Kitty-chan obsession.

But it disappoints me, cos I prefer to think of Kitty-chan as somehow just "being", rather than being based on something like a TV show. I suspect, however, that the TV show is the spinoff, and that Kitty-chan, in all her abstract purity, came first.

We brought the disasters. The alcohol. We committed the murders. - Paul Keating
Hai! (3.50 / 2) (#24)
by enani on Wed Sep 12, 2001 at 11:07:05 PM EST

As I stated in my article it is the case that Hello Kitty-chan has been around since 1974! The television shows are a very recent thing and are not even mentioned in the FAQs! And the FAQ writing people are much more obsessed over Hello Kitty-chan than I am! (That is an extremely scary thought as well!)
--=* Moshi-moshi! *=--
Be careful... (4.33 / 9) (#11)
by Elendale on Wed Sep 12, 2001 at 05:54:15 PM EST

One of the popups on the Hello Kitty site installed a program on my machine without even asking! Jeezus, i didn't think it could be done but i had a 'Coment Cursor' ad jump up and then eat my cursor. Takes a reboot to uninstall too! Actually, i guess i don't have any proof of this other than the fact that its the only thing i was doing...

-Elendale

When free speech is outlawed, only criminals will complain.

Aha... (4.80 / 5) (#22)
by communista on Wed Sep 12, 2001 at 08:48:00 PM EST

That's your browser's fault, not Sanrio's site. IE asks if you want to install, Netscape (I don't know about other browsers) does not.

Bellsouth.net (Calltech) fired a lot of employees for downloading the software, before they found out that the CSRs were not prompted for download.
/me fucks shit up!!!!
It installed on my version of IE (4.80 / 5) (#29)
by Xeriar on Thu Sep 13, 2001 at 12:44:05 AM EST

At work, without asking, which, oddly, is supposed to be secure since we deal with classified information...

----
When I'm feeling blue, I start breathing again.
Eek... (4.00 / 2) (#48)
by communista on Thu Sep 13, 2001 at 11:03:59 AM EST

That's odd. I suppose anything is possible, and I'm no guru ;) All I know is anything pre 5.0 and our experience with it, and comet cursor installs spyware too. Nice shady little operation they have there. Illegal too, I would think (or hope)
/me fucks shit up!!!!
<aol>Me too</aol> (3.00 / 1) (#59)
by Elendale on Thu Sep 13, 2001 at 09:58:55 PM EST

I'm running IE 5.5 (or whatever the current one is for winME) and it didn't bother asking for me either. Just popped up some window and turned my cursor blue :(

-Elendale

When free speech is outlawed, only criminals will complain.

Here... (4.50 / 2) (#64)
by communista on Fri Sep 14, 2001 at 12:31:56 AM EST

This should remove it and the nasty spyware that goes along with it.
/me fucks shit up!!!!
Possible solution to stop it happening... (4.50 / 2) (#46)
by CrazySteve on Thu Sep 13, 2001 at 10:14:19 AM EST

Check your internet security level in IE. Mine is set to "Medium" and I was prompted whether or not I wanted to download and install this plugin.

How to do this:
Go to: Tools->Internet Options->Security, then, click on "Internet" then either "Medium", or choose "Custom" and turn on "prompt" for "download and install {signed,unsigned} activeX controls".

OT: get a real OS(*BSD or leenuch) and Mozilla ;-) (2.00 / 1) (#53)
by metaDark on Thu Sep 13, 2001 at 05:45:29 PM EST

I had no problems using Mozilla in my FreeBSD box...

Best regards

Uriel

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Kisu yori dakishimete...
Believe me when i say... (3.50 / 2) (#55)
by Elendale on Thu Sep 13, 2001 at 06:54:55 PM EST

I wish i could. The college here has been... somewhat less than understanding my position that maybe (just maybe) Windows doesn't do everything and anything i need/want to do. Even if i do get a *nix box running up here (they distribute laptops, though they don't allow any changing of the OS) i wouldn't be able to access the net. Considering the fact that i need net access to function here (everything at least moderately important is sent as email) that just isn't an option.

On an only tangentially related, though funny nonetheless, the only email software we are allowed to use is Outlook, and the fine for bringing a virus into the school network is fairly hefty- i sweat whenever i open an email.

-Elendale (More of me bitching about our school computer policies...)

When free speech is outlawed, only criminals will complain.

Solution (none / 0) (#81)
by vectro on Thu Sep 20, 2001 at 12:43:24 PM EST

Run KDE. Tell them it's a super-secret version of the next release of windows.

“The problem with that definition is just that it's bullshit.” -- localroger
+1, Section (3.25 / 8) (#12)
by dasunt on Wed Sep 12, 2001 at 06:01:28 PM EST

Well, there is a depressing lack of vibrators* in this story, but otherwise, it strikes my fancy, so +1 section. However, it doesn't mean that I want to see more stories of this type. Its like sugar, a little is good, too much makes me sick.

*No, mentioning "vibrator" doesn't make me a troll. Its a joke. It pertains to Hello Kitty. Trust me.

Yes I know! ^_^ (3.66 / 3) (#16)
by enani on Wed Sep 12, 2001 at 06:53:45 PM EST

I have seen Hello Kitty-chan "chiropractic massage devices!" They are very kawaii! But I could not find a webpage which had a very good picture to link to! Sorei!
--=* Moshi-moshi! *=--
Watashi baka! (3.66 / 3) (#20)
by enani on Wed Sep 12, 2001 at 07:09:49 PM EST

Oh no! I forgot that I did link to the chiropractic massager picture that I found! It is very silly of me to forget that!

I also just realized that I had linked to a Nokia display decal and not a Nokia faceplate! Itai! But I know that there are many fine Hello Kitty-chan Nokia faceplates out there! I think that people get the idea in any case however and so I do not think that I need to find another link to show people that it exists, because people will have a good idea that it exists along with a number of other fine Sanrio products! Hwai!
--=* Moshi-moshi! *=--

o.O (2.25 / 4) (#21)
by core10k on Wed Sep 12, 2001 at 07:41:15 PM EST

This is way more enjoyable than talking about anime, but I wish I knew some nipon >.<

I'm not in the mood for this... (3.15 / 13) (#27)
by DJBongHit on Thu Sep 13, 2001 at 12:26:47 AM EST

... the last few days have been too depressing, and the future isn't looking much better. Maybe I'll find this more amusing when I hear from my friends in NYC and they let me know they're alive.

~DJBongHit

GNU GPL: Free as in herpes.

I am so happy to read this! It's wonderful! (3.84 / 13) (#28)
by jet_silver on Thu Sep 13, 2001 at 12:39:54 AM EST

Since Hello Kitty merchandise now includes Hello Kitty slave collars, gyves, nipple clamps and flails I have been having much more fun! You are right, Sanrio is very techno-savvy, they picked a very light and efficient motor (with rare earth magnets) for the Hello Kitty two-way vibrator! Your submissives will love it! Keep them from screaming with the Hello Kitty musical ball-gag (playing Frank Sinatra's "My Way" on endless repeat) and you have a recipe for hours of fun!

Thank you so much for reminding people of the wonderful world of Hello Kitty!
"What they really fear is machine-gunning politicians becoming a popular sport, like skate-boarding." -Nicolas Freeling

Ironically (4.42 / 7) (#31)
by DarkZero on Thu Sep 13, 2001 at 01:16:02 AM EST

Ironically, I was going to note when I saw the beginning of the article that moshi-moshi is only used as a greeting in the Japanese language when on a phone, and at no other time. Then I stopped and realized that this is the internet, and that at some point those eleven little little English characters of moshi-moshi passed through a phone line on the way to my home. I just thought that was funny.

By the way, this definitely gets points for being a beacon of humor in a humorless internet tonight. With several web comics blacking out in mourning and other sites just generally depriving us of The Funny as some way of showing respect by NOT helping the world cope with their sorrow, I have been severely wanting some humor. Thank you.

What is used for email? (3.33 / 3) (#33)
by isaac_akira on Thu Sep 13, 2001 at 01:33:50 AM EST

I have actually been wondering for a while if Japanese people use "moshi moshi" for email, as email seems kind of similar to using a phone (can't see the person you are talking to).

And if they don't use it for email, what do they write?

Enquiring Japanphiles want to know!

Moshi moshi... (4.40 / 5) (#38)
by driptray on Thu Sep 13, 2001 at 03:56:59 AM EST

...is not just used on the phone. It seems to be the equivalent of saying "hello, are you there?", and is used in situations where you want to establish communication with somebody that you're not sure is exactly "there".

I've seen schoolkids tapping each other on the head and saying "moshi moshi" to indicate that they think the other person is "not quite there".

Enani's use of moshi moshi is just a cute joke - kinda like saying "anybody out there?"

But then my Japanese is pretty terrible, so the above could all be wrong...

We brought the disasters. The alcohol. We committed the murders. - Paul Keating
The irony of it all (5.00 / 1) (#67)
by Psy-Q on Fri Sep 14, 2001 at 06:28:42 AM EST

When Japanese say moshi-moshi in movies over here, most Germans, Swiss and Austrians I know can't help but to grin or giggle. You see, "moshi" sounds more like "Muschi", at least it did in most of the movies I saw.

Muschi means, erm, pussy in German. In both senses of the word, though the feline one is nearly extinct. Heck, this somehow fits the whole Hello Kitty story too.

Scary.

What a sad day (1.53 / 15) (#35)
by premier on Thu Sep 13, 2001 at 02:58:37 AM EST

It's a sad day when garbage like this gets posted to the front page. Need I say more?

actually (3.50 / 4) (#36)
by core10k on Thu Sep 13, 2001 at 03:36:43 AM EST

Hello Kitty is a famous cultural import from Japan; that sucker's been around for what must be at least 2 decades now. I'm grateful for the history lesson, and grateful that there's something more than 20 low-quality spamming/crapfloodingish WTC submissions stinking up the queue right now.

gah (2.00 / 1) (#37)
by core10k on Thu Sep 13, 2001 at 03:39:13 AM EST

First line says how old Hello Kitty is . Other than that, I stand by my words.

Somewhat agree (2.50 / 4) (#40)
by premier on Thu Sep 13, 2001 at 05:24:32 AM EST

I totally agree with you that more WTC posts are not needed, and frankly I am tired of reading about the same stuff over and over.

However, I don't think we need to start reading useless crap and posting it to the front page just because WTC spam rules the nation right now. I don't think this goofy ass article would have been front paged on a regular day.

Thank You (4.14 / 7) (#39)
by StorminNorman on Thu Sep 13, 2001 at 04:55:55 AM EST

This has been the most wonderful thing I have seen on the internet for the past 2 days. I am a fan of japanese animation, and well aware of Hello Kitty, but this story has just made my day. Again, Thank you.
if we get the/transient facts/then we feel the/info high.
Oh, no! Not again! (3.20 / 5) (#41)
by sreeram on Thu Sep 13, 2001 at 05:27:00 AM EST

Damn. I thought I had seen the last of Hello Kitty.

I live in Singapore, and a year or so ago, this accursed thing struck our peaceful little city. McDonald's started selling these inane things with every meal purchased and people went wild.

The restaurants only sold them on particular days (Thursdays, if I recall right), and only for a short period. They used to run out of stock pretty fast. It was easy to tell when the madness was at its peak, as you could see long queues snaking out of these restaurants.

People queued overnight and brought entire families over to hog the lines. Many fights erupted and even resulted in injuries to a few. People bribed pole queue positions, hissed and scratched, blocked traffic and generally wasted a helluva lot of time, money and food. McDonald's actually appealed publically for people to be calm.

We breathed a collective sigh of relief when the craze was over.

Please keep these things away.

[Search Google for more info.]

Hello Kitty is the LAWD! (3.85 / 7) (#42)
by Mr Tom on Thu Sep 13, 2001 at 06:23:12 AM EST

Yes, Hello Kitty is the finest thing in the entire world. The fact that I am nearly as old as Kitty herself, and am currently wearing some rather fetching Hello Kitty hair ties is neither here or there.
And remember kids - Hello Kitty has no mouth, butthat doesn't matter, because coke goes up the nose! :*)
-- Mr_Tom<at>gmx.co.uk

I am a consultant. My job is to make your job redundant.

Hello Kitty .... and the Wu-Tang sword style - - - (3.60 / 5) (#43)
by CoolArrow on Thu Sep 13, 2001 at 06:54:02 AM EST

If what you say is true, then Hello Kitty and the Wu-Tang could be dangerous!!!

Do you think your Hello Kitty can defeat MY bitterness?!?!

In the Wu-Tang style, properly used, there is no follow through. It would be somewhat life threatening indeed to be found on the field of battle by an enemy with one foot on the corpse of another enemy, while trying to pry the business end of a Katana from his pelvis or spine! But perhaps this Hello Kitty, could help!! They seem warm and fuzzy!!

I must ponder these things before deciding if I should agree to join forces with Hello Kitty! ....

"Man your so cool, we're gonna call you Cool-O!"

Hey Right On! (2.75 / 4) (#44)
by yaksox on Thu Sep 13, 2001 at 09:29:36 AM EST

I dig your attitude enani.
zom·bie n. 3. One who looks or behaves like an automaton.
Argh! (3.40 / 5) (#45)
by WWWWolf on Thu Sep 13, 2001 at 09:32:53 AM EST

HelloKitty uses Cuteness!
It's super effective!
Charizard fainted!
(Flips through PkMn menu)
Go, Vulpix!
Vulpix uses Thermonuclear Cuteness!
It's super effective!

(Don't put cuteness to the stories without proper warning! The effects can be devastating!)

-- Weyfour WWWWolf, a lupine technomancer from the cold north...

Buy your own massager (4.33 / 3) (#49)
by srichman on Thu Sep 13, 2001 at 11:42:51 AM EST

In case you're having chiropractic problems, you can buy your own chriopractic massager from the vibrators page at Babeland (scroll down or search for "hello kitty").

The massager was mentioned in the recent Japanese-themed issue of Wired, along with the Hello Kitty douche. You can check out the douche on this Sanriosociety museum page.

heh. (3.50 / 2) (#50)
by float1111 on Thu Sep 13, 2001 at 03:26:09 PM EST

Hmm.

I was going to be a troll, but I must admit I have a badtz maru wallet, rotfl; he owns. :) I even once considered getting a MD player along with some hello kitty MD's, and yes, I am male.

Kerokerokeroppi (4.25 / 4) (#51)
by opencontent on Thu Sep 13, 2001 at 03:43:17 PM EST

I'm sick to death of kitty-chan getting all of Sanrio's press. kero-chan rules!

Don't just say ribbit, live it!

Be Open.
I love Keroppi too! ^_^ (4.00 / 3) (#54)
by enani on Thu Sep 13, 2001 at 06:32:47 PM EST

I did not forget Keroppi! It is just that Hello Kitty I like more! I was sad when Sanriostore stopped carrying Keroppi things though! But Sanrio changes out all of their characters all the time except Hello Kitty! I also miss Kitty Angel and Dear Daniel! I really wanted to get a Kitty Angel paper shredder when they were still available but now they are not and I am sad about that! u_u

But the world has many happy things in it and Hello Kitty and Keroppi are just two of them!
--=* Moshi-moshi! *=--

We should learn from Hello Kitty, keroppi & To (4.00 / 2) (#52)
by metaDark on Thu Sep 13, 2001 at 05:12:27 PM EST

I love Hello Kitty!!
We need more people that thinks like you in this world...

We have so much to learn from Hello Kitty...
But you forgot Kero Kero Keroppi!!
And also Totoro!!

Thanks for making me smile :) and for remembering me that there are so many beautiful things...

I wish there were more people like you....

Thanks again, and never change!

Best regards

Uriel

=^..^=      <-- This kitty wants to be your friend

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Kisu yori dakishimete...
So what to buy in Tokyo? (none / 0) (#56)
by pnoeric on Thu Sep 13, 2001 at 07:34:08 PM EST

So I'm going to Tokyo next week and yeah, am lovin' that H. Kitty. So what can/should I buy that is the perfect example of Hello Kittyness (--and NOT avail. in the US)?? -E
-- ericmueller.org
What to get! (none / 0) (#57)
by enani on Thu Sep 13, 2001 at 07:38:45 PM EST

Kondoomu!
--=* Moshi-moshi! *=--
Will someone please tell me... (3.00 / 1) (#58)
by avdi on Thu Sep 13, 2001 at 08:07:20 PM EST

...what the hell is the deal with Hello Kitty???

All I know is that there are HK toys out the wazoo to be found in stores these days, and my stepdaughter loves the stuff.

But despite this article, I still have no fscking idea just what the !@&$ this Hello Kitty thing is.

Oh, and BTW: this brand of ewww-too-much-icky-sad-stuff-lets-all-be-happy-happy cheerleading makes me sick to my stomach. I hope you spill delicious, syrupy-sweet joy-joy happyberry kool-aid all over your keyboard.

Now leave us, and take your fish with you. - Faramir

Hello Kitty (3.00 / 1) (#60)
by fluffy grue on Thu Sep 13, 2001 at 10:11:42 PM EST

It's just a popular line of toys. It's like Barbie, only cute and not specific to any age or gender. (At least, not these days, now that they have non-frilly-pink characters.) I must admit that there's a certain cute innocence about it which appeals to me.

I haven't seen a whole lot of "let's be happy"-type cheerleading, myself, and I think that enani was just desparate for some reminder that the world isn't entirely bad. Judging by the fact that it got voted to FP, others needed it too. From the casual perspective it's a pretty tasteless show of ignorance, but look at the last poll option... it's like whistling in the dark, or humming to try to block out an unpleasant memory which has just resurfaced.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

It's all branding... (4.00 / 1) (#61)
by Leadfoot180 on Thu Sep 13, 2001 at 10:14:32 PM EST

I'll supply this reply with a quote direct from Tom Sachs (the artist whose Hello Kitty nativity Scene created a scandal when it debuted in the Christmas windows at Barney's New York in 1994), "Hello Kitty is an icon that doesn't stand for anything at all. Hello Kitty never has been, and never will be, anything. She's pure license; you can even get a Hello Kitty car! The branding thing is completely out of control, but it started as nothing and maintains its nothingness. It's not about the ego, and in that way it's very Japanese." (Wired 9.09, "Ichiban").

What the hell has K5 become? (1.57 / 7) (#63)
by WTFK5 on Thu Sep 13, 2001 at 11:52:03 PM EST

This receives moderation points to get on the front page? You fucking morons, this is destroying what K5 is...more like was.

enani, please seek psychiatric care.

/me passing around the jonestown koolaid.

/me passing out the Jonestown Koolaid....coming Jim

enani (4.83 / 6) (#69)
by Defect on Fri Sep 14, 2001 at 11:46:41 AM EST

While you (and apparently others) may dislike this submission, it stands that enani has become a beacon of incessant cheer on k5. It's been made clear that this is not a serious account, and is used to promote some sort of sick, twisted agenda of making people smile whether or not it is wanted, and while i may have been upset with seeing this in the queue, after reading it i was forced to smile regardless.

It was a reminder that while tragedy can destroy the lives of an entire country (and unite a world), that there is still a reason to smile just for the sake of curious inanity.
defect - jso - joseth || a link
Yep, that's right (5.00 / 5) (#70)
by fluffy grue on Fri Sep 14, 2001 at 12:18:47 PM EST

Whoever is behind enani is obviously so demented and callous as to have no emotions aside from happiness and joy, and this article was obviously a social experiment to get people to become heartlessly happy bastards in spite of a tragedy, and couldn't possibly be, say, a coping mechanism to try to avoid being engulfed in an ocean of pure sorrow, or an attempt at hanging on to at least some greater, calmer perspective.

Yes, my friends, we must stamp out all happiness! If you're not bawling your eyes out 24 hours a day about all the pain and destruction which is going on in the world EVERY GODDAMNED SECOND then you are a HEARTLESS LIBERAL COMMIE BASTARD who does not deserve to live! Only someone with no feelings and who is perversely sick and twisted would post a story like this!

(For the irony-impaired: I was being sarcastic.)
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

HELLO KITTY HAS NO MOUTH! (3.20 / 5) (#65)
by jeremiah2 on Fri Sep 14, 2001 at 01:14:34 AM EST

No mouth! None!

That's SICK!!!

Change isn't necessarily progress - Wesley J. Smith, Forced Exit

huh (1.50 / 2) (#66)
by bugmaster on Fri Sep 14, 2001 at 01:15:48 AM EST

Was this a story or an ad ? I can't tell. Uh... Drink cool refreshing Coca-Cola ! Yeah.
>|<*:=
Scary thing is... (none / 0) (#72)
by mahlen on Fri Sep 14, 2001 at 06:09:55 PM EST

The scary thing is, right after reading your comment, i went to my workplace kitchen, went up to the fridge, and pulled out a Coke! I'm drinking it now! Damn, you're good!

mahlen

...the silence broken only by the sound of the silence being broken.
--Neddie Segoon [Harry Secombe], The Goons: "China Story"

My Badtz-Maru problem. (5.00 / 1) (#68)
by mahlen on Fri Sep 14, 2001 at 11:08:17 AM EST

The top of my storage cabinet at work is covered solely in Badtz-Maru stuff, including the lunchbox, two toothbrushes, and several metal boxes large and small, some of which I've never been able to determine the purpose of. Plus i have the wallet, the keychains, the temporary tattoos, and the car stickers. And most recently, i am always seen with the jumbo DJ bag. I have a few Keroppi items, but Badtz is my boy. Although Obey Giant is up there as well (i have six of the posters).

My wife and i fell in love with Sanrio stuff a few years ago when a toy store here in the Outer Richmond district of San Francisco was going out of business; we just admired the quality of the design. Plus, this is a largely Asian-American neighborhood, so this stuff isn't that unusual (um, well, at least for the children around here; 37-year-old white guys is a different story). I especially like the fact that the Badtz stuff often features him on the object using the object; the wallet pictures him holding a sack of cash, the toothbrush holder shows him brushing his teeth, and he's spinning records on the DJ bag.

I have no idea why these iconic figures have latched into my brain so effectively, but my wife knows when she goes out of town that when she gets back I'll have bought books, records, and Badtz-Maru stuff.

mahlen

Believe nothing, O monks, merely because you have been told it...or because it is traditional, or because you yourselves have imagined it. Do not believe what your teacher tells you merely out of respect for the teacher. But whatsoever, after due examination and analysis, you find to be conducive to the good, the benefit, the welfare of all beings--that doctrine believe and cling to, and take it as your guide. --Gautama Buddha, Indian philosopher (536?-483? B.C.)

Ug. Random Japanese Words (3.33 / 3) (#71)
by Valdrax on Fri Sep 14, 2001 at 05:12:43 PM EST

Why do certain people obsessed with some niche of Japanese culture sprinkle text with random Japanese words that have perfectly good English equivalents? Overuse of the words "kawaii," "baka," "hai," "iie," and other Japanese equivalents of ultra-comman English words has always been a huge irritation to me when reading about things related to Japan. It seems to be the hallmark of relentlessly enthusiastic fanboys and fangirls. (By the way, there is no word "shouyen" in Japanese. The Japanese alphabet lacks the character "ye." ... Not that I've taken 3 years of Japanese or anything.) I'd have voted this -1 if I had the chance just on the spastic use of Japanese vocabulary.

OT: I like it (4.00 / 1) (#74)
by metaDark on Sat Sep 15, 2001 at 04:51:58 PM EST

I can't explain why, but I like the languages mix...

Some how looks like it helps to express something, and that what writing is about, about expressing things, not about being correct or following some rules.
(note that I know that my writing is horrible and that I'm really bad at expressing what I think, even in my mother language(Spanish))

But any way it's just my opinion...

kawaii is very kawaii!! ;-)
And I can't think of any better way to say that.

Best regards

Uriel

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Kisu yori dakishimete...
baka (none / 0) (#82)
by seebs on Mon Sep 24, 2001 at 10:59:34 AM EST

I have heard a number of people try to explain "baka", and I don't think there's anything in English directly equivelent to all uses of it.

This was welcome... (none / 0) (#73)
by incunabula on Fri Sep 14, 2001 at 08:44:35 PM EST

...if only because Ms/Mr/? Kitty reminds me of something else with no mouth (or is it nose?) from my now distant childhood!

i

can't do without it (none / 0) (#80)
by anonymous cowerd on Sun Sep 16, 2001 at 07:51:58 PM EST

I can't do without my two-way Badtz-Maru pen/pencil. In handsome shiny chrome, with Badtz-Maru's inspiring image on it, it fits comfortably in the hand. Its sleek, classic design wins the admiration, indeed the envy, of all the construction workers and civil engineers who see me using it. And it's far less expensive than a comparable Caran D'Ache or Montblanc writing instrument! Twist it this way and you have an excellent ball-point pen for signing checks and stuff like that. Twist it the other way and out pops a 0.5 mm Pentel-like lead holder, with a retractable tip to protect the mechanism from rough outdoor conditions, perfect for taking field notes in rain or shine. The Badtz-Maru pen/pencil is durable too; at least I've never managed to break one before one or the other of my daughters steals it first.

enani is so right! Sanrio is the greatest, and my Badtz-Maru pen is kawaii!

Yours WD " ^ _ ^ " K - WKiernan@concentric.net

The one thing that really disturbs me about America is that people don't like to read. - Keith Richards

The ULTIMATE Hello Kitty Book (none / 0) (#83)
by greggman on Tue Sep 25, 2001 at 09:48:59 AM EST

Hello Kitty or Kitty-chan as she is called here in Japan is much much bigger in Japan than in America but at the same time the other characters are almost non existent here in Japan. Sure you can find a few of their goods in a Sanrio store but unlike America where it might be 30 percent Hello Kitty, 10 percent Bad Batz Maru, 10 percent Keropi etc. Here in Japan it's 95 percent Kitty-chan and 5 percent the rest.

Anyway, that's neither here nor there. What I wanted to tell you about is in Japan they have a catalog of Kitty Goods. Note that this is Hello Kitty ONLY. None of the other characters. The catalog comes out at least once a year and is over 100 pages though not all 100 pages are catalog. There are dish sets, cookware, bras and panties, pajamas, wedding dresses. You name it they got it.

If you would like a copy of the catalog it's only $6 plus shipping. Unfortunately you'll need some help reading the pages but you can order it from Amazon Japan and they do ship to the states. Here's the page

<sniff-sniff> (none / 0) (#84)
by Ialdabaoth on Tue Oct 02, 2001 at 08:39:46 PM EST

Ewwwwww... I smell propaganda. Hey! If Enani can plug Hello Kitty, can I plug albums by Iced Earth, Therion, Nightwish, and Blind Guardian? Those guys rock a lot harder than any of the sticky-sweetness Sanrio sells.
*******
"Act upon thy thoughts shall be the whole of the Law."

--paraphrase of Aleister Crowley

A Hello Kitty Primer! | 84 comments (69 topical, 15 editorial, 0 hidden)