Why Laughter Is The Best Medicine

By john34 in Culture
Wed Oct 02, 2002 at 02:39:55 PM EST
Tags: Science (all tags)
Science

We know that laughter can be helpful in stressful situations, but researchers are discovering that laughter can do a lot more. When we laugh, we not only create an overall feeling of well-being for ourselves, but also release cells such as Gamma-interferon, T-cells and B-cells - all of which make disease-destroying antibodies. Not only are we releasing more of them, we are also making these crucial cells more active. Organisations such as Camp Quality have acknowledged this -- naturally, their slogan affirms that 'laughter is the best medicine.'

Sometimes when we experience a real-life situation that is so ironic or tragic, it becomes almost surreal - it is at this point that we can either stress out, or laugh. The situation itself has created tension, but more importantly, tension also results as we try to cope with our thoughts and emotions. Laughter, the physiological response to humour, effectively shuts down stress hormones. It is these stress hormones (cortisol and epinephrine) that suppress the immune system, increase the number of blood platelets (which can cause obstructions in arteries) and raise blood pressure.

Laughter increases the oxygenation of the blood by stimulating the cardiovascular system, which further promotes healing. Typically, different medicines are used for prevention, treatment and cure of disease. Laughter can effectively assist all three. It generates positive emotions that have the potential to enhance conventional treatments. Hence, it can be used as a tool to help fight disease.

Negative emotions, such as anger, sadness and fear are often bottled up by people, rather than expressed. If repressed, these negative emotions can cause biochemical changes that affect our bodies. When we laugh, we are offering a harmless cathartic release, therefore preventing potential disease. By increasing the concentration of salivary immunoglobulin A, laughter defends against infectious organisms entering through the respiratory tract. Researchers have also found that laughter may help protect you against against a heart attack.

Laughter can stimulate the release of endorphins - the body's natural pain killers. These allow people to cope with situations that would otherwise be unbearable. It can be beneficial for patient's who are suffering from emphysema and other respiratory ailments - belly laughter empties your lungs of more air than it takes in - resulting in a cleansing effect. Also, for those unable to perform physical exercises, laughter can provide good cardiac conditioning.

Laughter itself is absolutely free and available to everyone. It has no known negative side effects - which makes it an extremely useful tool in fighting disease.

Norman Cousins, in his book, Anatomy of an Illness, writes:

'Increasingly, in the medical press, articles are being published about the high cost of negative emotions. Cancer, in particular, has been connected to intensive states of grief or anger or fear. It makes little sense to suppose that emotions exact only penalties and confer no benefits ... I became convinced that creativity, the will to live, hope, faith and love have biochemical significance and contribute strongly to healing and to well-being. The positive emotions are life-giving experiences.'

However, Cousins didn't see positive emotions as a substitute for scientific treatment - he saw them as a method of optimising prospects of recovery.

Judy Goldblum-Carlton writes:

'It [laughter] improves circulation. When you laugh heartily, every organ is being massaged including your heart, lungs and digestive system. Headaches can just go away. When you laugh the endorphins released make you feel this elation. It makes those big decisions seem so much less important.'
Clown Doctor Units have been set up in order to help patients maintain a positive outlook on life. This is a very important aspect to consider when treating a patient - if there is no will, is there a way? Even if there is, what use is it if the patient is in such a negative emotional state?

It is clear that patients' health will very much depend on their emotional well-being, not just their physical state. However, further research in the field of psychoneuroimmunology is required to attain solid insight into laughter's exact effects on the human body. But even now there are stable grounds to suggest that laughter (and positive emotions) are therapeutic in nature and can assist in the recovery and prevention of disease.

How often do you laugh?

o Gamma-inte rferon
o T-cells and B-cells
o Camp Quality
o cortisol
o epinephrin e
o salivary immunoglobulin A
o protect you against against a heart attack
o endorphins
o emphysema
o Norman Cousins
o Anatomy of an Illness
o Judy Goldblum-Carlton
o Clown Doctor Units
o psychoneur oimmunology
o Also by john34

Why Laughter Is The Best Medicine | 47 comments (47 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
So why do all those grumpy old men exist? [nt] (none / 0) (#1)
by greyrat on Wed Oct 02, 2002 at 11:37:42 AM EST

~ ~ ~
Did I actually read the article? No. No I didn't.
"Watch out for me nobbystyles, Gromit!"

Preservatives in their oatmeal. n/t (none / 0) (#2)
by jabber on Wed Oct 02, 2002 at 11:40:44 AM EST

[TINK5C] |"Is K5 my kapusta intellectual teddy bear?"| "Yes"

My guess (none / 0) (#25)
by kholmes on Wed Oct 02, 2002 at 06:40:02 PM EST

When you start to loose your hearing, have to wear dentures, are slow in understanding things, move slowly, and can't see clearly even with glasses, then perhaps you'd be grumpy too. The amazing thing are the elderly who still have a positive attitude on life. I know some of these people--when I get older, I want to be like them.

Then some of us are convinced we'll never grow old. Lucky you. I wonder if there is a causation between people who live in never-never land and grumpy old men.

If you treat people as most people treat things and treat things as most people treat people, you might be a Randian.

Cool (5.00 / 7) (#3)
by bob6 on Wed Oct 02, 2002 at 11:45:00 AM EST

So do we legalize cannabis tomorrow?

Cheers.
Wouldn't it be interesting (5.00 / 1) (#8)
by AnalogBoy on Wed Oct 02, 2002 at 12:40:22 PM EST

Legalize pot or N2O for human consumption and the overall national health (and mood) goes way up.

Everything from Grey hair to road rage (and speeding!) cured!

To quote Bill Hicks:

THIS IS THE POLCE! PULL OVER AND SMOKE THIS!

Save the environment, plant a Bush back in Texas.
Religous Tolerance (And click a banner while you're there)

oh my (5.00 / 2) (#10)
by thekubrix on Wed Oct 02, 2002 at 01:30:21 PM EST

wouldn't THAT be the day.........too bad half the country (or actually, half the voters, since barely anyone in this country votes...) thinks its a horrible horrible drug crafted by the devil, at least we have something safer on our streets, Booze!
  • Which adolescents never can get a hold of
  • Isn't physically or psychologically addicting
  • Has never been resoncibile for death
  • Rarely causes rage, rape, or general dustruction
  • oh wait....
i think i'll just stop there, or I'd be here all day............. :\

booze harder for adeolescents than you think (none / 0) (#15)
by mpalczew on Wed Oct 02, 2002 at 02:32:18 PM EST

Booze was definetly harder to aquire than weed when I was in high school.  I mean think about it.  What's easier to carry and exchange.  A little baggie or a fifth of vodka.  Plus you have to realize that a fifth of vodka is going to get the "dealer" a lot less money than a bag of weed, even though the bag is tiny, in comparison so he/she can carry more.  Not that I disagree with you on the other points.
-- Death to all Fanatics!
I disagree (5.00 / 1) (#16)
by thekubrix on Wed Oct 02, 2002 at 02:37:49 PM EST

Getting alcohol is NOT that hard, just goto a grocery and steal it, or just find someone who is of age (stupid easy if in college). But the biggest reason that its easier is because its LEGAL!!

Getting Pot is NOT that easy, even if you do think your Scarface or have more connections than the mob. Not only is it hard to find, its a pain in the ass to go through and VERY expensive.....

I disagree with your disagreement (none / 0) (#34)
by Souhait on Wed Oct 02, 2002 at 11:33:02 PM EST

While in high school I could call 4 or 5 people and have a twenty sack delivered to my house in under an hour. Weed was MUCH easier to get than alcohol. Beer was fairly difficult and hard liquor was much worse. No one keeps alcohol to sell. I'll admit that in college the ease reverses - people give out free alcohol all over the place on your average weekend night, but weed still takes effort.

heh (none / 0) (#44)
by thekubrix on Thu Oct 03, 2002 at 12:02:27 PM EST

this is EXACTLY what I meant, everytime I post the same point, theres always a Scarface out there with the baddest connections on the face of the planet

and its always the same story, "well around here" it always seems easy, am I just living in the lamest county in the world? (Orange County, CA), oh wait I am......nevermind

quality (none / 0) (#35)
by jazzido on Thu Oct 03, 2002 at 01:23:40 AM EST

getting pot is easy (at least here). getting good ganja is fucking impossible. And expensive if you found it.

"Patriotism is the last resource of scoundrels" (Samuel Johnson)

Move to the netherlands then... (none / 0) (#46)
by coolvibe on Fri Oct 04, 2002 at 07:48:58 AM EST

Where you can buy good quality grass in shops almost everywhere. Not just in Amsterdam. Really. I'm not kidding.

I am dutch, and live there. I used to smoke grass, but I quit 5 years ago. Cannabis is not physically addictivem but it can be habit-forming,

Oh, and being high from grass can induce a hearty laughing fit if something stupid happens. How more healty can it get? Oh they perscribe it to cancer patients here to alleviate the loss of appetite they get from the chemo. Heck, "the munchies" is actually terapheutic.
Yet another community site: hackerheaven.org. Now in juicy Scoop flavour!

If this interests you (4.00 / 2) (#4)
by behindthecurtain on Wed Oct 02, 2002 at 12:02:47 PM EST

Then a great movie to watch is "Patch Adams". Here's an adequate summary:
Fact-based story of Hunter "Patch" Adams (Robin Williams), the founder of the Gesundheit Clinic, a clinic which deals with their patients with humor and pathos. The film starts with Hunter admitting himself as a patient in a mental ward. While there, he found he enjoyed helping the other patients and found the staff to be cold and separative from the patients. Vowing to change things, he releases himself from the hospital and headed to the Virginia Medical College. His unorthodox methods cast him up against many of the doctors and deans of the university, despite him getting some of the highest grades in his class. Recognizing that many poor people were not being treated, as a student he formed the Gesundheit Clinic to aid those who were not getting proper treatment at the hospital. However, this brought him up before the Medical Review Board for practicing without a license.

Some of our oldest celebs (3.50 / 2) (#5)
by Thunder Bear on Wed Oct 02, 2002 at 12:10:21 PM EST

George Burns & Bob Hope were some of our oldest celebs, working for decades beyond where mere actors are wanted anymore.  George Burns was an avid cigar smoker for most of his post-adolescent life (he started very young), on and off stage, yet he lived past the age of 100.
-=[Thunder Bear]=- Tribal Shaman The Great Upchuckee Nation
Some of our youngest celebs (5.00 / 4) (#6)
by inadeepsleep on Wed Oct 02, 2002 at 12:20:48 PM EST

Chris Farley & Jim Belushi were some of our youngest celebs, working for only a few years when we wanted so much more. Jim Belushi was a drug addict for most of his post-adolescent life (he started very young), and he died young as well.

Gaaaaaaaa I ruined it (none / 0) (#7)
by inadeepsleep on Wed Oct 02, 2002 at 12:22:47 PM EST

I meant John Belushi. Oh well.

The sweet irony of this... (none / 0) (#30)
by Thunder Bear on Wed Oct 02, 2002 at 09:44:02 PM EST

...is that while John is dead, his career is in better shape than his brother Jim's. You are more likely at any given moment to see John on your TV screen during a random sampling of channels than you are Jim.
-=[Thunder Bear]=- Tribal Shaman The Great Upchuckee Nation
Maybe, but... (none / 0) (#36)
by inadeepsleep on Thu Oct 03, 2002 at 03:29:16 AM EST

Jim seems like an ok guy, but John Belushi was just a force of nature.

Maybe it only seems so because things are kind of funnier when you're young (yes, I watched him on SNL from the 1st season, yes, I'm that old). Or maybe he just was that funny. Oh well.

Yay for the delay! (5.00 / 3) (#9)
by DesiredUsername on Wed Oct 02, 2002 at 12:48:46 PM EST

I was going to ask if anybody knew why laughter would release these useful thingies. They seem so unrelated. Luckily K5's extreme slowness today gave me a chance to reflect on that before I posted it, because I realized that maybe I had the question backwards. Perhaps the entire function of laughter is to release endorphins, etc (by means of an outside, joke-telling agency when we are feeling blue, for instance). It has only been sidetracked into an entertainment industry, much the way junk food stimulates our fat/sugar-seeking physiology.

Play 囲碁
That sig made me laugh aloud. (nt) (5.00 / 1) (#18)
by graal on Wed Oct 02, 2002 at 03:22:25 PM EST

For Thou hast commanded, and so it is, that every
inordinate affection should be its own punishment.
-- St. Augustine (Confessions, i)

what would be even better than laughter (4.50 / 2) (#11)
by metagone on Wed Oct 02, 2002 at 01:41:16 PM EST

is understanding in subjective terms how to control one's body. understanding laughter in subjective terms will give people the necessary information and understanding to manipulate their bodies to a greater degree.

consider the actor. the actor needs to know how to manipulate their bodies in order to express emotions. this is only a limited use. one can manipulate their bodies to control their mental states. the expression of emotions can be greatly extended as a tool to communicate denser information than can be transmitted via words.

in fact treating one's body like a very sophisticated computer is one possible metaphor. learning the internal signals is like learning a new graphical user interface. knowing which programs are where, how to run them etc. know thy self on a whole new level.

but then again maybe i have read to much dune. the bene gesserit are very interesting. they create chemical cocktails with their bodies. no need to get a full lab anymore. they have achieved such a high degree of control that they can contain and store viruses or poisons. they have a greater understanding of human psychology though love still eludes them. that is simple really, love isnt just about dopamines. love is probably the most complicated form of naturally synthesized chemistry known to man. it is so rare as to be related to the divine. there is no major religion on this planet that i know of that does not somewhere describe the deity as all loving. maybe fearful is not even wrong because there are chemicals involved in fear that might be pivotal in creating that special brand of divine love in each religion.

but anyways. you see there is a lot of potential. we should not just try to understand laughter in clinical terms because often those terms do not coincide with internal experiences. i believe the problem here is similar to the problems faced in physics. there is a theory for large bodies. there is another for infinitesimal bodies. there are a few bridges but not enough for both to be perfectly unified. there are bridges between subjective experience and objective experience, but there is no unified way of talking about the two. maybe there might come a time where there is such a unified theory, but until then we must continue to develop both theories. it would be interesting to see a mystic and a neuroscientist discussing the nature of perceptual experience.

Bene Gesserit (1.00 / 1) (#13)
by RoOoBo on Wed Oct 02, 2002 at 01:57:01 PM EST

The kind of body and mind control that the Bene Gesserit have (or would have if they existed) is really interesting. In fact I would say it should be a topic of research. Any really good education system should cope with learning how both mind and body works and how they should be used efficiently. Not just about learning precooked knowledge as currently are most educational systems. I hope in the near future the current educational system will start to change, the same way it changed from pre 20th century teaching system.

The opposite of Bene Gesserit were the Bene Tleilaxt that get similar power (and other new ones) but using genetic manipulation. They seem different sides of the same thing: how to improve humans. Either using knowledge and education or genetic manipulation.

BTW if anyone knows a Bene Gesserit school out there please tell me where so I can get a fast course in the basic techniques ;).

Required simpsons quote. (4.80 / 5) (#12)
by steveftoth on Wed Oct 02, 2002 at 01:52:45 PM EST

Dr. Hibbert: Why Lisa, before I learned to chuckle mindlessly, I was on my way to an early grave.

(actual words may vary based on my memory)

Ah, The Simpsons (none / 0) (#14)
by john34 on Wed Oct 02, 2002 at 02:02:03 PM EST

Full of hidden wisdom! (+ inside jokes...)

Hi guys =) (3.00 / 2) (#17)
by john34 on Wed Oct 02, 2002 at 02:58:14 PM EST

When I came back to see the story on K5's main page, it released a lot of positive emotions! Thanks guys =)

My two cents. (5.00 / 1) (#19)
by bakuretsu on Wed Oct 02, 2002 at 03:39:51 PM EST

I merely skimmed the article and comments, so I don't know if someone has already said this, but I think it's interesting to note that since laughter is actually a physical as well as emotional defense from harm, it is actually quite normal to laugh in response to something truly horrible.

Personally, I take almost nothing seriously at face value. It takes true conscious effort for me to be completely somber about things (especially when they are not of the utmost importance). I believe this contributes to my extremely clean bill of health, having only been sick once in the past several years.

I also, contrary to common belief, do not live in a bubble.

-- Airborne
    aka Bakuretsu
    The Bailiwick -- DESIGNHUB 2004

Yes... (none / 0) (#20)
by john34 on Wed Oct 02, 2002 at 03:50:12 PM EST

"It always seems so completely callous to witness a brutal or disturbing act and burst into laughter, but this article's evidence would lead me to believe that this is not only normal... But encourageable!"

- "Sometimes when we experience a real-life situation that is so ironic or tragic, it becomes almost surreal - it is at this point that we can either stress out, or laugh."

It's very circumstantial. Sometimes we can't help it. I wouldn't recommend drawing definite conclusions from the article.

Bad taste (none / 0) (#41)
by KILNA on Thu Oct 03, 2002 at 07:23:53 AM EST

Perhaps that explains my amusement from this shirt.

Not bad... (none / 0) (#43)
by Rock Joe on Thu Oct 03, 2002 at 11:41:27 AM EST

I gotta admit that I can see the humour in that T-Shirt. It's the kinda thing that shocks you, and then the horror fades into laughter. Still, I wouldn't recommend wearing this T-Shirt in Manhattan. Although I WOULD laugh at anyone who got the shit beat out of them for wearing it. :o)

Signatures are for losers!
--Rock Joe
Clown Doctors (4.50 / 2) (#21)
by pnadeau on Wed Oct 02, 2002 at 04:08:32 PM EST

That sounds really scary. Clowns are bad news.

Do they jab you with their big 2 foot clown syringes?

"Can't buy what I want because it's free, can't be what they want because I'm..."  Eddie Vedder

this science stuff (3.00 / 3) (#22)
by Lenny on Wed Oct 02, 2002 at 05:03:31 PM EST

What a crock! This science mumbo-jumbo makes me laugh!

"Hate the USA? Boycott everything American. Particularly its websites..."
-Me
Wow (none / 0) (#23)
by dukevaporware on Wed Oct 02, 2002 at 05:26:23 PM EST

A positive article. Nice. We need more of these.
How many cloned animals have you eaten today?
Your sig (none / 0) (#39)
by KILNA on Thu Oct 03, 2002 at 07:11:51 AM EST

How many cloned animals have you eaten today?

Does eating your identical twin count?

As Jack Handy would say... (5.00 / 3) (#24)
by djelovic on Wed Oct 02, 2002 at 06:35:26 PM EST

"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis."

More deep thoughts.

And then again, ... (none / 0) (#26)
by Gutza on Wed Oct 02, 2002 at 08:06:16 PM EST

... when will we realize that the best things in life are actually free? I apologize for the poor taste of the introduction, and would advise the lesser mature of you to skip the rest of my comment altogether, because I'm fully aware that it will seem to continue the same way (been there, done that).

I'm still astonished at how people today hardly even notice that humankind was able to survive without the latest medicine, the latest scientific discovery and the latest medical technique. That's NOT to say those things don't help - I'm fully aware those things help a lot of people. But there's so much medicine inside of us and within natural stuff in general we have no idea about! Think about sex - that's also a scientifically proven way to keep your body healthy; also, "healthy food" - well, that's just another name for natural food after all (just the same way "healthy life" is another name for natural life)...

The way I see it, anything natural that makes you feel good IS good for you - that's how our ancestors survived, isn't it? Please mind the natural adjective in the phrase above - LSD is not natural, and no, cannabis isn't either because it doesn't grow cigarettes. Running, breathing clean air, laughing and getting laid on the other hand are natural - and they're good for you!

And just to get everybody upset, I don't think we're meant to be vegetarians either - "Sausages taste good. Pork chops taste good."

Who's your vendor, who's your vendor? — Scott Adams
time is K5

then... (none / 0) (#32)
by sal5ero on Wed Oct 02, 2002 at 10:24:11 PM EST

if I don't think it tastes good then it can't be good for me...

and (none / 0) (#33)
by sal5ero on Wed Oct 02, 2002 at 10:25:27 PM EST

sausages are hardly natural

Analogies... (none / 0) (#38)
by KILNA on Thu Oct 03, 2002 at 07:10:25 AM EST

I'm not a user, but I did find a problem with your logic. By your argument that pot doesn't grow n cigarette form, should we not eat meat since it doesn't come pre-cooked on the cow. Dear god man, you just made me think of herds of pre-cooked cattle, grazing, a whole pasture filled with the smell of gently broiled beef.

This Story Plagarized by Slashdot (1.00 / 2) (#27)
by egg troll on Wed Oct 02, 2002 at 09:09:03 PM EST

Interestingly, this story was just lifted verbatim by timothy over on Slashdot.

He's a bondage fan, a gastronome, a sensualist
Unparalleled for sinister lasciviousness.

Yeah... (5.00 / 1) (#28)
by john34 on Wed Oct 02, 2002 at 09:17:11 PM EST

I submitted my version to /.. I was fully not expecting to get posted, it's just a habit now.

Hee hee, ye old /.!

I stand corrected (none / 0) (#29)
by egg troll on Wed Oct 02, 2002 at 09:33:25 PM EST

At least I got in a funny picture of timothy. Now if only I could use my pics of Taco.

He's a bondage fan, a gastronome, a sensualist
Unparalleled for sinister lasciviousness.

is laughter the best medicine? (none / 0) (#31)
by jolt rush soon on Wed Oct 02, 2002 at 10:06:33 PM EST

no; try laughing off irritable bowel syndrome.

i do tend to laugh a lot more when i've just consumed a lot of sugar. can anyone else confirm this correlation? i also wonder if this 'laughter is the best medicine' meme will promote the use of smoking weed.
Subosc — free electronic music.

Laughing off Irritable Bowel Syndrome (none / 0) (#37)
by KILNA on Thu Oct 03, 2002 at 07:05:03 AM EST

I did. In fact, I lost my shit it was so funny. *cue gated trupet wah-wah*

Is it really a choice? (4.00 / 1) (#40)
by mami on Thu Oct 03, 2002 at 07:15:19 AM EST

Sometimes, when we experience a real-life situation that is so ironic or tragic, it becomes almost surreal - it is at this point that we can either stress out, or laugh.

Do we have really a choice wether we stress out or laugh? I do believe that "healing" laughter has to be a spontaneous reaction. If you say we have a choice to stress out or to laugh, it seems to me as if you say one could switch on and off laughter whenever it might be appropriate.

not to nit-pick, but (5.00 / 2) (#42)
by protocadherin on Thu Oct 03, 2002 at 11:23:45 AM EST

1. gamma-interferon is a secreted protein, not a type of cell.

2. T-cells don't release antibodies (they instead express a membrane protein called the T-cell receptor)

Otherwise an excellent article.

Thanks for pointing out (4.00 / 1) (#47)
by lpret on Wed Oct 16, 2002 at 09:16:17 PM EST

I'm a big fan of people getting articles correct in every detail, and I'm a bigger fan of people who can succintly and tastefully enhance the article by showing their expertise.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. - Greek proverb

Not entirely related but definitely interesting... (4.00 / 1) (#45)
by circletimessquare on Thu Oct 03, 2002 at 02:18:34 PM EST

This story posted at CNN today has some interesting results from a year-long Internet study by some British scientists on how jokes play across different cultures. According to an older CNN article, the researchers claim that Germans laugh the most, and Canadians the least. (Hey no bias to this post, I'm American.)

Quote: "The LaughLab research, carried out by psychologist Dr. Richard Wiseman, from the University of Hertfordshire, attracted more than 40,000 jokes and almost two million ratings."

They also claim to have discovered the "world's funniest joke," or at least, the one that appeals to the most varied types of people, as rated by many different folks around the world on their website. Here it is, lifted from the CNN article:

Two hunters are out in the woods when one of them collapses. He doesn't seem to be breathing and his eyes are glazed. The other guy takes out his phone and calls the emergency services.

He gasps: "My friend is dead! What can I do?" The operator says: "Calm down, I can help. First, let's make sure he's dead." There is a silence, then a gunshot is heard. Back on the phone, the guy says: "OK, now what?"

By the way, here is the main site of the study, but the server seems to be down as of my posting. ;-( Worth a laugh at the very least! (which i guess isn't such a bad thing according to this thread ;-)

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

Why Laughter Is The Best Medicine | 47 comments (47 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)