Idul Fitri Celebrations

By dangerousdan in Culture
Tue Dec 03, 2002 at 04:03:12 PM EST
Tags: Culture (all tags)
Culture

What are you doing to celebrate Idul Fitri?

This Fri sees Idul Fitri (Fitr), one of, if not the, most holy days in Islam being celebrated by Muslims throughout the world. It marks the end of the fasting month of Ramadan.

Here in Indonesia the local customs are to return home to your village (pulang kampung), ask for forgiveness for any failings that you may have had during the last year, either real or imagined ( maafkan lahir dan batin ) and then have an almighty party (no alcohol though) to celebrate successfully having completed the fast and to see in the new Islamic year.

The most interesting thing here though is that during Ramadan, leading up to Idul Firti, fireworks are let off to ensure that everyone is awake for the first prayer session of the day (around 0400) and then let off arbitrarily from then on. You see fireworks sold throughout the city (I am in the capital Jakarta) and hear them often during the day.

Having never seen any outward celebration of Idul Fitri when I was in Australia ( and in the current climate there I do not see any occurring this year), and having been in Indonesia for 4 of them now, I am wondering how it is in your neck of the woods? Does the local Islamic community celebrate publicly? How? Or is this the first time that you have heard of Idul Fitri?

o Also by dangerousdan

Idul Fitri Celebrations | 68 comments (63 topical, 5 editorial, 1 hidden)
What spirit do you feel (3.66 / 9) (#2)
by imrdkl on Mon Dec 02, 2002 at 07:44:39 PM EST

while this is all going on? Is it friendly, or heavy, or sad, or what? Are you obliged to say every word, or can you be shy, and just pray inside your heart?

Internal Spirit (4.88 / 9) (#7)
by dangerousdan on Mon Dec 02, 2002 at 08:29:00 PM EST

Interesting question, and one that I will have to leave a Muslim to answer.

From external appearances and talking to my neighbours and workmates, there are two major themes I see. Firstly is the one that it is good just have finished the fast - no more and no less. One of the characteristics of Indonesian Islam is that a large number of people (the exact number will never be known but I have seen estimates ranging from 20% to 80% of the Muslim population) fast because it is easier than not fasting - the social pressure put on people to be outwardly good Muslims can be huge in the close confines of a Javanese village). The other theme is that it is a time for quiet and personal contemplation on how to be a better Muslim in the year to come.

These feelings are probably isolated to Indonesia since the country is not as radical as western media paints it (the first reaction to the bomb blast in Bali that killed over 100 tourists was that an Indonesian did not do it and it had to be foreigners since Indonesians "would not do something like that". Now that it seems that locals did "do it" the opinion that I see is one of surprise that radical "Arab" Islam has any adherents in Indonesia. Naive I know but prevalent among those I talk to) and has a strong local (Javanese) flavour to its Islam - hence the question!

Give a man a match and he is warm for a day. Set him alight and he is warm for the rest of his life.

More background, coming from a Muslim (5.00 / 5) (#49)
by emagius on Tue Dec 03, 2002 at 09:45:53 PM EST

It's a friendly celebration. Islam really isn't a religion of extreme emotions, though, and generally the gatherings and just meet-and-greet type affairs. There are no heavy or sad celebrations, although the fasting of Ramadan is a time of being rather somber and holy, as is Al-Hajj for those who make the Pilgramage to Mecca (and Medina, and Taif).

I was born in the States and have lived here the plurality of my life, but have spent Eid Ul-Fitr here (in Indiana) as well as in Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, and Oman. In all of the above locations, it's not a time of revelry by any means, but a time of giving thanks to God. The Eid Ul-Fitr prayers last five or so minutes (most prayer sessions, in general, are quite short -- all the obligatory ones clock in at well under 10 minutes), although it generally is followed by a lecture in which we're implored to do good and give thanks. The prayer is communual, but like all other prayers, only the leader (Imam) recites out load.

Usually, you'll meet with your brethren and exchange hugs; many people will invite you to drop by and visit their homes for tea and sweets. On Eid Ul-Fitr, children are often given a few small gifts, though the holiday lacks the commercialism associated with Christmas. No one's forcing you to visit or invite others, though it's generally considered polite to do so.

My ex-roomate, who was from Malaysia (and also President of the Muslim Students Association on campus), was more apt to go for the Indonesian-style "partying", although even that was limited to hanging around with friends and family, singing songs, staying up through the night eating, etc.

Nitpick/background: Eid Ul-Fitr is a much better Romanized spelling than Idul Fitr, given that "Eid" roughly translates to "celebration" or "festival" and is a word in and of itself, with "Ul" meaning "of", and "Fitr" meaning the breaking of the fast. Eid Ul-Adha is the other Islamic holiday -- the "Festival of Sacrifice", commemorating Abraham's willingness to sacrifice his son, Isaac, at the command of God. Eid Ul-Adha takes place at the end of the month of Al-Hajj (the Pilgrimage).

Hope that helps!

Extreme emotions (3.00 / 10) (#55)
by zaphos on Wed Dec 04, 2002 at 12:36:44 AM EST

Islam really isn't a religion of extreme emotions

Certainly not! Why would anybody think otherwise?

So few people seem to realize that what seems fascinating and meaningful to them is utterly meaningless and dull for the listener. -rusty

Spelling (3.00 / 1) (#61)
by dangerousdan on Thu Dec 05, 2002 at 07:33:13 AM EST

Thank you for the reply - I have never been outside Southeast Asia for Idul Fitri and wondered about the intent and action knowing that (specifically in Indonesia) local custom has modified Islam a practiced locally.

Point taken on the best way to Romanise Idul Fitri but I was using the Bahasa in the article. Idul Adah and Lahir (vice Lair) are also the accepted Bahasa Indonesia rendering of the respective Arabic terms (amongst a lot of others).

Question: How is it pronounced? (nt) (none / 0) (#68)
by vectro on Mon Dec 23, 2002 at 03:09:29 AM EST

“The problem with that definition is just that it's bullshit.” -- localroger
Pronunciation (none / 0) (#69)
by dangerousdan on Wed Jan 15, 2003 at 05:41:34 PM EST

In Indonesia it is pronounced as it is written:

I as in "In"
D as in "Day"
U as in "Cup"
L as in "Live"
F as in "Fit"
T as in "Top"
R is rolled and as in "Ridge"

Personally, (1.01 / 70) (#4)
by zaphos on Mon Dec 02, 2002 at 07:52:43 PM EST

I try to go blow up a nighclub or hotel.

Spread the peace my brutha (n/t) (1.58 / 12) (#20)
by NaCh0 on Tue Dec 03, 2002 at 07:03:18 AM EST

n/t
K5: Your daily dose of socialism.
_TRULY_ _HORRIBLE_ _COMMENT_ (1.00 / 14) (#30)
by rustball on Tue Dec 03, 2002 at 10:41:18 AM EST

Why do you say that? (1.46 / 13) (#54)
by zaphos on Wed Dec 04, 2002 at 12:21:40 AM EST

Idul Fitri is a truly special day. It would certainly not do to simply blow up a schoolbus or pizza stand like on any other day of the year! Sheesh!

Not Very Public (4.09 / 11) (#5)
by EraseMe on Mon Dec 02, 2002 at 07:53:39 PM EST

I live in the US. On the day of Eid, we'll have prayer in the morning, and usually some kind of community dinner the same evening (or the next weekend, if Eid falls on a weekday). People also invite one another to their homes. And sometimes, the children get gifts. It varies. It's not very public, simply because their are very few Muslims in the US. Invariably, however, a reporter from the local newspaper will write a short feature on about the occasion.

Same in France (3.50 / 2) (#18)
by deggial on Tue Dec 03, 2002 at 04:08:36 AM EST

Not public at all. I didn't even here about it.
Heard a few things about the beginning of ramadan n, though.
The only thing about Muslim holidys we hear about is hygiene problems for the Aid, and the way the authorities handle it.

Do you have to apologize for... (1.11 / 77) (#6)
by czth on Mon Dec 02, 2002 at 08:02:53 PM EST

... flying airplanes into buildings?

... cheering those that did?

... sending people to blow up civillians in shopping malls?

... setting death sentences on journalists and writers that expose you?

... killing those that convert to other faiths?

Or is that all Just Fine(tm) since Allah said you could?

All that fasting and contemplation doesn't seem to have helped; after it, Mohammedans are still bound by a straitjacket of foolish rules and regulations that don't help them a whit. Their ultimate salvation is still a "maybe." I'd rather take a sure thing, personally.

czth

This makes me really angry (3.91 / 12) (#25)
by daragh on Tue Dec 03, 2002 at 08:27:06 AM EST

You are off topic and flaming. If you don't have anything constructive to say, please keep your mouth shut. This is an informative article. I for one learned something.

If we all took the time to understand each others differences, then maybe things like you mentioned would not happen. And, for the record, the Christian side has done a lot of terrible things itself.

No work.

THIS makes me really angry (1.00 / 1) (#64)
by czth on Fri Dec 06, 2002 at 10:02:10 AM EST

It makes me really angry to hear about Christians being killed in Mohammedan countries - Indonesia in particular - just for being Christian. Or of Mohammedans converting to Christianity and being killed for it. Or to see so-called peace-loving Mohammedans standing around cheering as planes crash into American buildings. That makes me a lot more angry than any flamage of any kind.

True, the original post may have been trollish. I wrote it because I'm also upset at articles that attempt to show Mohammedanism as "just another way to God" having its nice little wholesome cultural events. Let me re-quote a few recent quotes from a chap named Teckla (hi!) (for the record, this was from a C programming channel, not a Christian channel, and Teckla is not a Christian):

<Teckla> Quran,Sura 9:5: The Quran requires violence " Fight and slay the pagans wherever ye find them, seize them, beleauger them "
<Teckla> Quran, Sura 5:33: in reference to people who resist Islam " Their punishment is execution, or crucifixion, or the cutting off of hands and feet from the opposite sides"
<Teckla> Hadith; vol.9:57: " whoever changes his Islamic religion, kill him"
<Teckla> Hadith; vol.9:50: " No muslim should be killed for killing a kafir ( infidel )" They can kill us with no penalty, but if they quit their f**ked up and made up religion, they die.

czth

For the record (3.00 / 1) (#65)
by czth on Fri Dec 06, 2002 at 10:17:42 AM EST

Some things I didn't know or have observed lately:

1. Comments with moderation averages below 1.00 can't be viewed, even if they're your own (not even with "View your comments"). For a little while there I thought my browser had ate the parent, or something, but I suppose it just got zeroed real fast.

2. Getting 48 (at last count) zero moderations can really hurt your mojo.

3. Zero moderation is abused, but fortunately some people are watching for it. The original comment should not have been zero moderated; the point of zero moderation is to get rid of blatant spam, not to censor things you don't agree with.

4. Furthermore, I don't think a similar comment against Christianity would be zeroed. It would be just laughed off by most (as irrelevant to them, or ignorant), and perhaps get a few heated replies. I wonder why that is? Maybe people are just real sensitive about criticism of Mohammedanism of late.

5. I didn't get any real answers to my questions. Are the things I listed considered wrong at all, or are they wholly righteous acts?
czth

Wow, is this a record? (none / 0) (#67)
by RyoCokey on Sun Dec 08, 2002 at 05:25:28 PM EST

Anyone know if there are comments that have received more zeroes than this? Common spam or really off-topic statements usually just get a couple at most.

"There is no reason why we should not have peaceful relations with the rest of the world if we cease playing the role of Meddlesome Mattie." - Sen. Art
As a non Muslim with Muslim Acquaintances/Friends (4.23 / 13) (#8)
by HidingMyName on Mon Dec 02, 2002 at 09:29:35 PM EST

I am not familiar with the Islamic holidays, so I'm curious about a few things.
  • Does Ramadan commemorate any historically significant event. Judeo-Christain holidays often have historical significance (e.g. Easter, Christmas, Passover, Haunakah). How did Ramadan come into being?
  • I was invited to my first Iftar this year (unfortunately I could not go). If I understand correctly (which I did not earlier), Iftar is the evening breaking of the fast. Do I have it right?
  • Are there other Islamic holidays that are widely celebrated?

not an expert, but (4.33 / 6) (#15)
by raaymoose on Tue Dec 03, 2002 at 02:40:22 AM EST

Asking if Ramadan commemorate any significant event is equivalent to asking whether September commemorates any significant event. It's just a month in the Islamic calendar. It is the 9th month on a lunar calendar. However, it is said that it was during the month of Ramadan that the Quran was first revealed to Mohammad. It is also said that the Battle of Badr took place during this month.

How the fasting ritual became associated with the month, I'm not completely sure ... though I'm guessing because of the first reason.

Please correct me or add to it if you know anything else.

Fasting... (5.00 / 5) (#26)
by lucius on Tue Dec 03, 2002 at 08:31:51 AM EST

...in Ramadan is, I believe, to remind people of the hardship suffered by the poor. It is commanded either in the Kor'an (God's word) or the hadiths (Mohammad's sayings and so on), I'm not sure which.

It is also durung Ramadan that people are obliged to give a certain amount of their income (or property) to the poor.

On an unrelated note, I may be spending the end of Ramadan (don't know the name in Arabic) with a Palestinian family in Nablus (West Bank). I've more or less fasted for the last month as well, despite not being a Muslim, simply because shops don't sell food during the day, and I'm too lazy to make myself breakfast.

Also, at futur (the breaking of the fast), the funny thing is that people eat really slowly because their stomachs are raw and tender. Then they seem to stay awake all night until suhur after which they must stop eating at morning prayers.

Zakaat correction (5.00 / 4) (#51)
by emagius on Tue Dec 03, 2002 at 09:56:43 PM EST

Their are two required types of charity in Islam. The one that's required to be paid in Ramadan (actually by Eid Ul-Fitr prayers) is simply the one to pay for food for the poor on Eid. It's generally less than $10.

The other Zakaat is set to 2.5% of a person's total wealth (including monies, real estate, and other property) and is to be paid once a year. The exact date is not of importance, but many people do pay during Ramadan (since it's the holiest month).

answer to your 3 questions.... (4.83 / 6) (#53)
by S H A N on Tue Dec 03, 2002 at 10:59:04 PM EST

* Fast of month of Ramadan comprises of to abstain from:

1. Intentional Eating/Drinking,
2. Sexual Intercourse,
3. Intentional Vomiting,
4. Poor/Bad Intentions,
5. Injections Containing Nourishment
during the period from Dawn to Dusk.
(pls note that insane, pregnant/breast feeding women/travelers and ill persons are exempted)

what is desired out of this exercise is:

1. to attain good morals/faith,
2. mercy from Allah,
3. practice of the Prophets,
4. reward,
5. cutting of sexual desires,
6. acceptance of prayers,
7. means of intercession on the day of judgement,
8. forgiveness,
9. become more humane as you share the feelings of hungry.

So as to how it came into being? Allah in Koran answers that there is nothing new all the Prophets before you have done it so will you.

* iftar is indeed the breaking of fast.

* the other well known islamic holiday is Idul-Ul-Azha (marking the sacrifice of Prophet Abrahim)

hope you got the answer to your questions.

Idul Fitri in Australia and Indonesia (4.70 / 10) (#10)
by daniels on Mon Dec 02, 2002 at 10:33:01 PM EST

Hari Idul Fitri is really the day that stops Indonesia. Imagine Christmas Day, or Australia Day, or Independence Day, or whatever. Just imagine 90% of people (on some islands; definitely not Bali) shutting up shop and going back to their village to seek forgiveness and party on. In Indonesia, except for Bali, you really can't do anything much on Hari Idul Fitri except bum around.

In Australia, it's the polar opposite. We shut down for Christmas Day, and Hari Idul Fitri goes virtually unnoticed, except in suburbs with huge Islamic populations, and even then the impact is hardly noticable. However, walking around in suburbs with a huge Islamic population, I have seen a few cafes closed for the day during Ramadan (when Muslims have to fast from dawn to dusk - a task which is *really* hard in Australia, given that the day is up to 15 hours long), and open during the night.
somewhere in space, this may all be happening right now
I first heard of it.. (3.25 / 4) (#11)
by The Solitaire on Mon Dec 02, 2002 at 10:35:02 PM EST

about two days ago from an acquantance of mine. He invited me to go to a big banquet for the celebration, but I unfortunately had to decline. It's too bad too, cause I tend to love the food from Islamic countries.

I need a new sig.

Too Islamic centric. (3.00 / 5) (#12)
by Syntax on Mon Dec 02, 2002 at 10:38:44 PM EST

Sorry had to do that... +1 Informative.

hehe... (2.87 / 8) (#13)
by DominantParadigm on Mon Dec 02, 2002 at 11:31:57 PM EST

and then have an almighty party (no alcohol though)

Yeah, right ;)

Caller:So you're advocating bombing innocent children? Howard Stern:Yes, of course!

Weed isn't prohibited though ;-> (1.00 / 2) (#38)
by pepperpusher on Tue Dec 03, 2002 at 02:24:20 PM EST

In Kyrgyzstan.. (4.90 / 11) (#14)
by Meatbomb on Mon Dec 02, 2002 at 11:41:52 PM EST

...it's called Orozo Ait.

People cook masses of food, especially plof (rice pilaf). The same deal with family and friends coming to visit, not big on the forgiveness - although theoretically it's a part of it.

Out in the provinces everything is closed, but here in the capital there are enough Russians and other non-Muslims that it's not such a big deal. Praying is pretty minimal, even for the "Muslims".... 70 years of communism has made this more a cultural than a religious thing for most Kyrgyz.

_______________

Good News for Liberal Democracy!

Breaking the fast (3.83 / 6) (#16)
by bayankaran on Tue Dec 03, 2002 at 03:48:53 AM EST

Though I did not fast, I have joined friends in breaking the fast in the evening.

The food is varied and rich in proteins. The stuff common across the world are dry fruits and a type of milk based dessert (dont know the name, might be 'SEMIYA' in some parts of world). If you dont fast, eating that type of food makes you bloated and gassy for the night.

Fasting is probably a nice thing to do, sort of internal cleaning. Hindu women fast on certain mondays to get them nice husbands, Christians (atleast Catholics, dont know about other sects) abstain from alcohol, fish and meat during the weeks before Christmas. A Christian friend who did the December fasting (he did not smoke, drink alcohol, and became a veggie) said 'he got fresh' and encouraged me to do that. But I dont have the courage.

The weeks before Christmas? (4.00 / 4) (#22)
by ukryule on Tue Dec 03, 2002 at 08:01:01 AM EST

Is this true? I was raised Church of England (equivalent to Apathetic atheist), and never heard this one ... are you sure it isn't that just compared to Christmas Day and the following week it seems like you didn't drink/eat meat the previous one?

Fasting. (4.50 / 4) (#23)
by Ranieri on Tue Dec 03, 2002 at 08:06:00 AM EST

Catholics are supposed to fast for 40 days before easter.
The advent (four weeks before Christmas) should be a time of sobriety, but as far as I know only more strict congregations treat this as an incitement to fast.
Taste cold steel, feeble cannon restraint rope!
it's symbolic preparation (none / 0) (#59)
by mikelist on Wed Dec 04, 2002 at 06:13:13 PM EST

and a time of relative frugality, as opposed to the penitent self denial of Lent. Modern Christianity doesn't impose fasting, although the interval between eating and Communion is I believe, 2 hours.

I think he meant Easter. (4.33 / 3) (#39)
by porkchop_d_clown on Tue Dec 03, 2002 at 03:09:55 PM EST

Fasting for the 40 days before easter is traditional.

Once one sock is sucked, the other sock will remain forever unsucked.

Fireworks (3.07 / 13) (#17)
by SwampGas on Tue Dec 03, 2002 at 03:54:16 AM EST

If someone set off fireworks in my neighborhood at 4am, regardless of their religion, I would beat them into a bloody pulp.

Here in America you should use an alarm clock since not everyone celebrates this.  It would be rude to awaken Christians, Jews, Athiests, etc at 4am.

Not fireworks most places (4.00 / 2) (#50)
by emagius on Tue Dec 03, 2002 at 09:49:08 PM EST

Indonesia and Malaysia tend to go a bit overboard in their celebrations from the point of view of the rest of the Muslim world. You won't see fireworks, dancing, or partying in the Arab nations, southern/SW Asia, or most (if not all) of Africa. Nor the Americas nor Europe.

There's nothing like blowing things up ... (1.48 / 33) (#19)
by LQ on Tue Dec 03, 2002 at 04:40:32 AM EST

... to get people's attention. I guess if Hindu's started killing westerners, there'd be articles on K5 about Diwali.

Yeah (2.75 / 4) (#32)
by bob6 on Tue Dec 03, 2002 at 12:34:39 PM EST

Violence is the only way to get our attention. So no surprise if we're the ones at which violence is targetted.

Cheers.
Oh, for sure (3.33 / 3) (#33)
by DominantParadigm on Tue Dec 03, 2002 at 01:07:20 PM EST

I mean, if it wasn't for those peasant IRA motherfuckers, would I give a shit about potatoes? I think not.

Uh (2.66 / 3) (#34)
by dj28 on Tue Dec 03, 2002 at 01:13:38 PM EST

Which is completely irrelevent considering the IRA isn't a religion and a potato isn't a holy day. Nice try though.

It's called a non sequitor (3.40 / 5) (#35)
by DominantParadigm on Tue Dec 03, 2002 at 01:17:06 PM EST

Just like the OPs post is a non sequitor. I'm glad that you agree that non sequitor's are inappropriate for this discussion ;)

Not really (5.00 / 1) (#62)
by Josh A on Thu Dec 05, 2002 at 10:07:22 AM EST

Just because you make a poor analogy doesn't mean you made a non sequitur. Quite the opposite, I would say: in order to make an analogy, you have to say something that is connected somehow to what was said before. (Regardless of the point you were trying to make.)

Moreover, the original post seems quite connected to the story. Except, rather than discussing the content of the story, the poster is discussing the story itself. Meta-discussion may not be your thing, but it certainly isn't inappropriate here.

Thank God for Canada, if only because they annoy the Republicans so much. – Blarney

IRA (none / 0) (#57)
by LQ on Wed Dec 04, 2002 at 12:23:25 PM EST

Apart from your racism, I think you take my point. A few bombs and, suddenly, in the interest of peace, everybody's really interested in Islam. Before, it was just an obscure religion followed by foreigners that nobody on K5 cared about.

sane people just blow up fireworks (3.50 / 2) (#42)
by deadplant on Tue Dec 03, 2002 at 05:28:14 PM EST

nobody could fail to notice USA-day (july 4) 'cause those yanks go crazy blowing things up.
Of course the only casualties from those explosions usually deserved it (natural selection and all... duh, it didn't go off, i guess I better go check the fuse...boom.)

Inflicting Ones Religion on others (1.64 / 28) (#21)
by Kaos on Tue Dec 03, 2002 at 07:46:07 AM EST

Believe what you like, I'm happy with that, just don't inflict it on anyone else.

I'm an atheist, you don't find me burning the religious, pity the same can't be said for them, now or in the past.

If people realised this life was all they get maybe there wouldn't be any suicide bombers, people running planes into buidings etc.

Just a Thought.

Be wary of strong drink, it can make you shoot at tax collectors and miss.

Out of context (relative to story) NT (2.88 / 9) (#24)
by Shovas on Tue Dec 03, 2002 at 08:25:43 AM EST

Join the petition: Rusty! Make dumped stories & discussion public!
Disagree? Post. Don't mod.
What are you moderators thinking? (5.00 / 1) (#46)
by Shovas on Tue Dec 03, 2002 at 06:01:47 PM EST

Pull up. I'm just going to assume I got trolled on this one.
Join the petition: Rusty! Make dumped stories & discussion public!
Disagree? Post. Don't mod.
_WORST_ _COMMENT_ _EVER_ (1.07 / 13) (#28)
by rustball on Tue Dec 03, 2002 at 10:33:23 AM EST

Sounds like someones panties are in a knot... (2.60 / 5) (#41)
by explodingheadboy on Tue Dec 03, 2002 at 05:23:56 PM EST

Could it be... you?

Q: If you're paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse?
A: None! Ice cream doesn't have bones!!!

[*rmg is dying]

Atheism as an Religion (1.00 / 1) (#58)
by Argon on Wed Dec 04, 2002 at 12:50:51 PM EST

Well, Ok... This is a bit off-topic, but... I hope that you notice that Atheism is some sort of religion, since it implies the belief on a non-existing god. I also hope you noticed that your comment was some kind of imposing your religion on the others. Now, as for the Atheists never prosecuted other religions... In the communists countries was forbidden to practice and believe in any god. Perhaps they didn't burn anyone at a stake, but still prosecuted others. Besides, people don't become a suicide bomber based only on their religion. They kill themselves because they feel oppressed and prosecuted. They kill themselves in the hope of bringing a better life for their family. And for that you don't need any religion.

My observation (4.25 / 4) (#40)
by hbw on Tue Dec 03, 2002 at 04:06:50 PM EST

I live next to door to a mosque, yet I haven't noticed anything unusual; fireworks or anything of that sort going on.

Also, this is the first time I hear about this apparently official celebration of the end of Ramadan.

Does this imply that this is not being celebrated publicly? I don't know. Maybe the mainstream media that reaches me isn't as concerned about educating me about religious events as it is in trying to put the latest Hollywood gossip down my throat.

Thanks for letting me know, though.

I have discovered a truly marvelous signature, which unfortunately the margin is not large enough to contain.

If someone woke me up with fireworks every day... (3.33 / 3) (#43)
by explodingheadboy on Tue Dec 03, 2002 at 05:28:53 PM EST

I'd be the most unpleasant person you ever met.

How can so many non-radical (no offense intended, just don't want anyone else jumping on it.) muslims live a life of non-violence?

A: None! Ice cream doesn't have bones!!!

[*rmg is dying]

Hunger wouldn't help things (none / 0) (#66)
by RyoCokey on Sun Dec 08, 2002 at 05:15:29 PM EST

Since you'd be fasting during the day, as I recall.

Just speaking my opinion. (4.00 / 4) (#45)
by explodingheadboy on Tue Dec 03, 2002 at 05:36:41 PM EST

Somewhere else in these comments someone alluded that we only care about these things now because of the violent acts that called attention to it.

But, even if that is the reason, we should all try to be more informed about different cultures ways of life. I'm not just talking about islam. When Islamic terrorists attacked the US most people simply percieved them as a horrid race of people. They were easily targeted by hatred.

Informative little stories like this give us a different perspective, preventing the wrong people from being labled unfairly.

A: None! Ice cream doesn't have bones!!!

[*rmg is dying]

Then the terrorists have already won (3.20 / 5) (#47)
by broken77 on Tue Dec 03, 2002 at 06:58:39 PM EST

We can't give in to their agenda. This was their aim from the very beginning! We must resist them and remain as short-sighted and closed-minded as we were pre-911. Only then will we have beaten the terrorists.

I'm starting to doubt all this happy propaganda about Islam being a religion of peace. Heck, it's just as bad as Christianity. -- Dphitz

Surgeon generals warning: (3.66 / 3) (#48)
by explodingheadboy on Tue Dec 03, 2002 at 07:20:57 PM EST

Large doses of sarcasm lead to public irritation. ;)

A: None! Ice cream doesn't have bones!!!

[*rmg is dying]

too bad yr all busy pissing all over 'fluff classe (1.00 / 2) (#56)
by turmeric on Wed Dec 04, 2002 at 01:01:39 AM EST

maybe if you had taken something in school besides network topology or linear systems you would know something about the world.

HOLY SHIT (1.00 / 2) (#60)
by auraslip on Thu Dec 05, 2002 at 07:17:11 AM EST

God damn....people are so politically correct.
can't even take a joke.
And lets not forget people, jokes mock things.
Things like racism, and thoughts that all muslims are murders.
If I said I was going to celebrate Idul Fitri by flying an airplane into a building, I would be making fun of the preconcevied notion that that is what muslims do.
God...I hate explaining racist jokes to people.

anyways, if you haven't noticed the muslim religion supports acts of violence. OMG RELIGION SUPPORTING VIOLENCE AND PEOPLE MAKING FUN OF IT!!!Wow....thats never happened before. really. But no really, fuck any religion that supports violence(most of them I'm sure).
And to all of you non-violent muslims(or freinds of muslims) I wish you a happy Idul Fitri.
124

A funny way to celebrate (2.00 / 1) (#63)
by marckris on Thu Dec 05, 2002 at 10:09:45 AM EST

waking up people with fireworks at 4am, yelling with loudspeakers (and I mean *LOUD*), etc.

If you live in Indonesia and you're not part of the majority then you are used to shut your mouth. Ramadhan is the month when you have to learn to shut your mouth even harder.

Funny thing is, fireworks are not allowed in Indonesia. But nobody can do anything about it. The same thing when a bunch of "religious" people tore apart places they think are somewhat against their belief. I wonder where the heck did they get the right to do it (apparently when you're the majority, somehow you are "blessed" with the right to do anything you think is the "right" thing).

Yes. That is what happening in Indonesia. When you're the majority you think you can do as you please, and if you dare say anything about it then you're in for a lot of trouble, and I mean physically.

After 35 years, I still can't figure out why people who cares nothing of other people can call themselves religious people. And that goes for any religion, not just Islam.

Idul Fitri Celebrations | 68 comments (63 topical, 5 editorial, 1 hidden)