Spin Internet Black Beans

By chipr in Culture
Tue Aug 20, 2002 at 07:45:46 AM EST
Tags: Culture (all tags)
Culture

Here is a recipe great for the unemployed tech worker. It's tasty, healthy, and fit for a food stamps budget. One batch will give you 4-6 quick meals over the next week, giving you even more time to scour Monster.com and the local paper for jobs that don't exist.

I call my recipe Spin Internet Black Beans, because the last time I made it, I spent the entire time on hold trying to report a network outage to Spin Internet. I completed the entire prep and the recipe was nicely simmering away long before they ever answered the call.

Soaking the Beans

Soaking the black beans is critical. How you do could determine whether or not you'll be farting all the next day. In my directions, I'll assume you'd prefer not.

Begin the soak the night before you plan to cook. Dump the beans into a collander. Rinse well. Sort carefully, picking out any rocks or other debris.

Then dump the beans into a large pot, and cover with cold water to a 2-inch depth.

The next morning (at least 8 hours), drain the beans and give them a very good rinse. Then return them to the pot, refill with cold water, and soak for the rest of the morning (at least 4 hours).

When you are ready to cook, drain the beans and give a final, thorough rinse. If you soaked them in the pot you'll be using to cook them, be sure to give it a good cleaning first.

Unless you are particularly sensitive to the enzymes, you really don't need any additives or fancy preparations. All you need is lots of time and lots of cold, clean water. Forget the "quick soak" methods you may read about. If you want quick, make youself a bowl of oatmeal.

Jalapeño Peppers

Black beans are zesty critters. They are a staple of Southwest and Cuban cuisines. Throw in a couple of jalapeño peppers and you'll get a good zing. Exactly how much zing depends on how you prepare the peppers.

The flesh of the pepper is spicy, but that's not where the heat is. The heat is in the seeds. If you leave the seeds in you'll get quite a kick. If you take them out, it won't be quite so fiery.

I opt for a midway solution. I slice the peppers thin, and about half the seeds just fall out onto the cutting board, where I leave them.

If you haven't handled jalapeños before, be careful. With long exposure, your fingers will begin to burn. And for goodness sake, don't rub your eyes after handling them.

The Recipe

I didn't measure any of the spices, so these are my best guesses. Use your judgement, I'm not sure I make this the same way twice anytime--but it's always great.

Here are the ingredients:

• 16 oz. package of dried black beans, rinsed and soaked as described above
  • 6 cups water
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • one large yellow onion, diced
  • one large bell pepper, diced
  • four jalapeño peppers, sliced
  • two bay leaves (if you have them)
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • 1 tbsp olive oil

Throw all the ingredients into a big pot, bring to a boil. Leave the cover askew so the steam can escape. Simmer about two hours, until beans are tender.

Okay, now what?

Beans and rice. Tasty and filling and very healthy.

Beans and rice and veggies. I like adding cooked zucchini.

Black bean tacos. My favorite! Try beans, cheese, sprouts, sour cream and salsa, all on a hot, fresh flour tortilla.

A great side dish to almost any meal. Well, maybe not spaghetti.

Mmmmmm .... beans!
o Bring 'em on. I have an iron constitution. 45%
o They rarely give me gas. 18%
o A risky proposition. 9%
o Beano saves my ass. 3%
o I could power a rocket ship. 15%
o I just say no to legumes. 9%

o Monster.co m
o local paper
o Spin Internet
o Also by chipr

Spin Internet Black Beans | 36 comments (28 topical, 8 editorial, 1 hidden)
Thanks (4.00 / 2) (#2)
by CaptainSuperBoy on Mon Aug 19, 2002 at 10:51:16 PM EST

I'll have to try that one. I like rice and beans, I still make it even though I'm not a poor college student any more.

A couple other things to try: If you're lazy, buy the cans of Goya black beans. They're already soaked and wet so you can skip that part.. also, no pebbles to pick out. The bags are cheaper, but the cans really won't break the bank - around here it's about 60 cents for a 15oz can.

Here's my favorite way of serving them. Along with beans and white rice, chop up a bunch of tomatoes, shred some cheddar, and put out some sour cream, and ground dog meat. Serve them all with tortilla chips and you can mix and match, loading up chips with different combos.

jimmysquid.com - I take pictures.

Dog meat? (none / 0) (#30)
by Raindoll on Tue Aug 20, 2002 at 03:24:33 PM EST

Ground dog meat? You're kidding, right?

Just seeing if anyone was reading closely... (4.00 / 1) (#33)
by CaptainSuperBoy on Tue Aug 20, 2002 at 06:37:43 PM EST

or was I?

jimmysquid.com - I take pictures.
We need a food topic/section (4.50 / 4) (#4)
by Nick Ives on Mon Aug 19, 2002 at 10:54:56 PM EST

I'm fairly sure that I have all these ingredients in the kitchen (save the beans, but beans are cheep) and it sounds like a refreshing change from cheezy beans on toast or pasta & pesto.

Hurm, thinking about it, maybe a better solution would be a story entitled "What should I have for dinner?" where people can post recipes and then interested people could just hotlist it. Yea...

Nick
I'm sure I've said this before.

Culinary tips (4.50 / 2) (#5)
by rebrane on Mon Aug 19, 2002 at 10:56:34 PM EST

It would be shameful not to mention the black bean's soulmate, the green chile. Cooked along with the beans, they lend an excellent flavor; or just served together if you're into that sort of thing.

If you're bored of tortillas, another great way to use black beans is in an omelet, with cheese, salsa, sour cream, green chile.. oh baby yeah.

Good Recipe (5.00 / 3) (#11)
by tzigane on Mon Aug 19, 2002 at 11:21:20 PM EST

Thanks for posting this. It looks quite good, tasty and low-fat.

There's no reason not to have a food and recipe section. Food is part of culture. I'll post my chocolate chip cookie recipe and a way to fancy-up brownies from a mix.
You can show a rock how to jump only so many times before you give up believing that rocks can jump. -- K. B. Salazar

Magic Ingredient (4.00 / 2) (#14)
by epepke on Mon Aug 19, 2002 at 11:43:29 PM EST

How can you possibly post a black bean recipe and omit the magic ingredient in Cuban black beans? (It's a tablespoon of white vinegar stirred in just before serving.)

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.--Terry Pratchett

What if... (4.33 / 3) (#15)
by medharn on Mon Aug 19, 2002 at 11:50:11 PM EST

What if you want to fart? Say, for example, you're employed as an elevator operator and you have a deep misanthropic streak. Or perhaps flatulence is part of a fetish. Or if this is how you heat your home. Does one skip the soak? Skip the rinse? Save the bean water and bathe in it?

Enquiring minds want to know.

The real 'medharn' has userid 32762.

Ditto (none / 0) (#18)
by br284 on Tue Aug 20, 2002 at 12:36:16 AM EST

How does soaking affect gas? I'm really curious now, also.

-Chris

The Magical Fruit (4.50 / 2) (#22)
by chipr on Tue Aug 20, 2002 at 01:25:27 AM EST

The skinny on why beans give you gas.

the gas goes into the water (3.00 / 1) (#28)
by speek on Tue Aug 20, 2002 at 01:19:57 PM EST

The water absorbs a lot of the gas. By throwing out the water the beans were soaked in, you lose a lot of the gas. Also some of the flavor, but I'd say, if you're depending on the beans for your flavor, it's not going to be that tasty anyway.

what would be cool, is if there was like a bat signal for tombuck - [ Parent ]

I don't soak. (4.00 / 1) (#26)
by nowan on Tue Aug 20, 2002 at 10:38:58 AM EST

See my other comment, but soaking (rinsing, rather) tremendously alters the taste of the beans. With pinto beans, at least, it's enough to move the beans from really tasty to really so-so.

Frankly, even if you do soak I've never heard of doing it twice.

Ore....GANO? (2.00 / 1) (#16)
by FuriousXGeorge on Mon Aug 19, 2002 at 11:51:41 PM EST

What the hell?

-- FIELDISM NOW!

It's misspelled... (none / 0) (#21)
by emag on Tue Aug 20, 2002 at 01:18:23 AM EST

It's really "ore-guano", ie, the guano of ore.  Rumor has it it's tasty in cooking, though I have my doubts...

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --H.L. Mencken
another recipe (3.00 / 1) (#17)
by 5pectre on Mon Aug 19, 2002 at 11:51:51 PM EST

take: heated beans in chilli sauce, fried chopped up chicken, boiled rice, mix it up and put it in a bowl. *ummmmmm*

"Let us kill the English, their concept of individual rights might undermine the power of our beloved tyrants!!" - Lisa Simpson [ -1.50 / -7.74]

Re: Jalapeños (4.00 / 2) (#19)
by gadicath on Tue Aug 20, 2002 at 12:40:42 AM EST

Yes chilli in the eye is bad, but so is your ear.  However, I would suggest you wash your hands thoroughly before going to the toilet.

"Toilet" ? Ha! Try "Bed"... (4.66 / 3) (#27)
by Jehreg on Tue Aug 20, 2002 at 11:12:46 AM EST

My wife and I make salsa every year.

The first year we started doing this, we did not wear any gloves, and both of us spent the entire day cutting Jalapenos.

We, of course, washed our hands very well, before going to bed.

But that made no difference: while we were "having fun", I said "Ummmm, I'm starting to feel kinda itchy..." "Yeah, me too" "Hey, it isn't itchy anymore, this kinda burns...." "Sh*T! It really burns!" "What the ***k is happening?" "Oh no, the peppers...." "Aw Cr*p! Get the sour cream!" "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....."

The only cool thing (scuze the pun) is that after the burn is gone, the numbness sets in.

Handling Hot Peppers (5.00 / 3) (#20)
by slessman on Tue Aug 20, 2002 at 12:48:46 AM EST

I cook a lot of spicy foods and have had more bad hot pepper experiences than I really ought to admit to. I made a few simple changes to the way I prep peppers that made life much less painful in the kitchen.
  • Wear disposable latex gloves when handling hot peppers. A box of 50 costs about $5 US at your local drugstore. Throw them away immediately after use. Go ahead and wash your hands afterwards. Twice. Be sure and get under your fingernails.
  • Use a very sharp non-serrated chef's knife to slice the peppers. Wash the knife carefully after you're done slicing the peppers. Be sure and wipe the handle down as well as the blade well.
  • Dedicate a non-porous cutting board to hot peppers. Wash this board several times in hot soapy water after use, rinsing thoroughly. I usually cheat on this and use the same board for all my veggies, chopping the hot stuff up last, then throwing the whole kit in the dishwasher.
I've managed to avoid that oh-so-painful-for-several-days-under-the-fingernails burning sensation since I started taking these precautions.

Shaun

Pain (3.00 / 1) (#31)
by The Solitaire on Tue Aug 20, 2002 at 06:02:51 PM EST

Really, the pain isn't so bad with Jalapenos.. with Habaneros it's a whole different story. I had a friend once that was cutting them, then she went to the washroom..

Poor, poor girl.

I need a new sig.

Heat in seeds: common misconception. (4.40 / 5) (#24)
by Phelan on Tue Aug 20, 2002 at 08:39:57 AM EST

The "heat" of most peppers (including jalapenos) is caused by an oil named capsaicin. While there is more capsaicin in the seeds of a pepper than the flesh, capsaicin is most strongly concentrated in the membrane/rib of the pepper, not the seeds. That's cause the capsaicin glands are in the rib. Cut out the white ribs and the seeds, and you lose about 80% of the heat.

Soaking: gas vs. taste (4.00 / 1) (#25)
by nowan on Tue Aug 20, 2002 at 10:27:15 AM EST

Whether or not to soak (or more accurately, whether or not to rinse) the beans is up to the cook. But I wanted to point out that by minimizing gas you also minimize taste.

YMMV, but I'd recommend that you try the beans without soaking before deciding which side of the issue you fall on. One of my favorite meals is beans & cornbread[1], but if I rinse the beans it's really a so-so dish.

[1] Pinto beans, a bit of salt (replace the salt with smoked hamhock for a bit of extra flavor) and water. Bring it to a boil, then let it cook all day (possibly all night & all day) on low or in a crock pot. The cornbread is flour & cornmeal (a bit more cornmeal than flour), baking powder, salt, a few eggs, and milk. Cook it at 350 or so in a greased pan for 30-45 minutes (golden brown). If anyone's interested, I'll try and come up with more precise measurements.

soaking and gas (4.00 / 1) (#29)
by speek on Tue Aug 20, 2002 at 01:26:20 PM EST

Soaking saves time and makes preparation easier. There's no guessing how much water is going to get absorbed and all that.

But, you can have most of the best of both worlds. If you soak overnight, don't throw away the water you soaked with. Instead, leave the beans in the water, and simmer for a couple hours. You'll notice foam on the top of the water after doing this. Skim the foam and throw it out. Pour off the water, but save it.

Then, follow the recipe as given, but when it calls for 6 c. water, use the water you saved from soaking. You'll regain the flavor this way, and hopefully you've tossed a good amount of the gas by skimming.

A crockpot makes all this even easier.

what would be cool, is if there was like a bat signal for tombuck - [ Parent ]

Peppers (4.00 / 1) (#32)
by The Solitaire on Tue Aug 20, 2002 at 06:08:51 PM EST

Well, I agree this looks like it could be pretty tasty, but I'd ditch the Jalapenos. Personally, I think Jalepenos have an awful flavour. There are lots of great peppers out there to choose from, many of which have a much better flavour.

My personal favourite flavour is the Habanero pepper. It really tastes incredible. Well, that is, assuming you can taste past the pain - I've been building my tolerance for a while :)

Another pepper that I have used as of late is the Serrano pepper, which is much less spicy than the Habanero, but spicier than the Jalapeno. In my opinion, it is a good tradeoff in terms of flavour vs. pain.

Anyone else have any favourites?

I need a new sig.

Habanero (none / 0) (#34)
by CaptainSuperBoy on Wed Aug 21, 2002 at 04:16:39 PM EST

I agree.. I love the taste of habaneros. Many people can't get past the heat, which is formidable. There are some good sauces that preserve the flavor while keeping the heat manageable, such as Melinda's brand. Stuff like Dave's Insanity is useless.. if I wanted a pure burning sensation with absolutely no flavor, I'd cut to the chase and eat some fire.

Jalapenos are good as well.. I think they're great peppers as well. Kind of a green pepper, but bitter and spicy. Cooking them takes away some of the spice (they're not THAT spicy though) and enhances the flavor, IMO.

jimmysquid.com - I take pictures.

Dave's (none / 0) (#35)
by The Solitaire on Wed Aug 21, 2002 at 05:51:00 PM EST

I couldn't agree more about Dave's. It has virtually no flavour, just pain. However, I just picked up a bottle of Dave's Private Reserve. It's supposed to be even more wicked than the regular stuff. Why? Well... two reasons:

1. I like proving I can take the pain. Yes, this is a stupid macho reason, but at least I'm honest.
  2. Sometimes I like adding spice to dishes, without changing the flavour much. Dave's and the like is perfect for this.
But the fun doesn't have to stop with Dave's! A friend of mine recently acquired some stuff called "Satan's Blood" which tips the scales at 500,000 Scoville units (Dave's is 50,000). And last, there is one called The Source rating a whopping 7.1 million Scoville units! Kinda retarded if you ask me... why not just add pepper spray do your food? :)

I need a new sig.
Datil peppers (5.00 / 1) (#36)
by epepke on Fri Aug 23, 2002 at 01:32:05 AM EST

Flavor similar to the Habanero/Scotch Bonnet, but not as intense.

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.--Terry Pratchett

Spin Internet Black Beans | 36 comments (28 topical, 8 editorial, 1 hidden)