How to cook a pecan pancake

By theboz in Culture
Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 06:53:27 PM EST
Tags: You Know... (all tags)
You Know...

Pecan pancakes; a yummy treasure that fills the stomach with goodness, while tickling the taste buds. We all know and love the taste of a fresh flapjack with hot butter and real maple syrup. It's a taste that makes the best morning meals. However, do you know how to actually make a pecan pancake? If not, then this is the story for you.

Southern Pecan Pancakes presented by White Elephant Bed & Breakfast Inn

Makes 16 four-inch pancakes.

Sift together dry ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda

In mixer, beat:
2 eggs

Add to eggs:
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cups low-fat buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix wet ingredients well. Gradually add flour mixture, beating just until mixed.

Add:
1/2 cup chopped, toasted pecans (toast in 350 oven about 7 min.)

Using 1/4 cup measure, pour onto oiled hot griddle (400 degrees) and cook until lightly browned on each side (about 3 minutes).

Sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar. Serve with maple syrup. YUMMY!

Do you love pancakes?
o Yes, especially pecan pancakes! 47%
o Yes, but not with pecans 40%
o No, I don't like them 11%

o Also by theboz

How to cook a pecan pancake | 192 comments (172 topical, 20 editorial, 10 hidden)
Yum (3.44 / 18) (#8)
by tzigane on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 01:33:45 PM EST

This looks wonderful.

Knit on with confidence and hope through all crises. E. Zimmermann

Metric version... (4.16 / 31) (#9)
by aziegler on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 01:37:39 PM EST

One US cup is approximately 250 mL (it's closer to 244 mL, but appears to have been standardized on 250 mL on all of my measuring utensils). A teaspoon is 5 mL.

Makes 16 four-inch pancakes.

Sift together dry ingredients:

1. cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
  2. cup (250 mL) whole wheat flour
  3. /2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) salt
  4. teaspoons (20 mL) baking powder
  5. teaspoon (5 mL) baking soda
In mixer, beat:
2 eggs

Add to eggs:

1. /4 cup (62.5 mL) vegetable oil
  2. cups (500 mL) low-fat buttermilk
  3. teaspoon (5 mL) vanilla [extract]

Add:
1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped, toasted pecans (toast in 350 F [176 C] oven about 7 min.)

Using 1/4 cup (62.5 mL) measure, pour onto oiled hot griddle (400 F [204 C]) and cook until lightly browned on each side (about 3 minutes).

Sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar. Serve with maple syrup. YUMMY!

They do sound good, even if they are only pancakes, and not waffles (:

-austin

Bah... (4.00 / 4) (#10)
by aziegler on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 01:40:34 PM EST

Auto-formatting isn't ALWAYS the best choice.... /-:

-austin

Thanks (4.00 / 6) (#21)
by infraoctarine on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 02:37:13 PM EST

But you forgot one, it should have been:

Makes 16 10cm pancakes

so us metricans will know how large to make them too :-)

The nice thing is... (4.20 / 5) (#22)
by aziegler on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 02:43:25 PM EST

that the size will be controlled by your dip (in this case, a ~63 mL 1/4 cup measure). You can make smaller pancakes (so-called "silver dollar" size) by using an even smaller cup or larger pancakes (don't try much over 1/2 cup, though -- it becomes too large to deal with).

-austin

It should go without saying... (4.00 / 18) (#11)
by graal on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 01:44:23 PM EST

...that the only appropriate toppings for pancakes are REAL MAPLE SYRUP (not "butter-lite" or any of the other heresies) or sorghum (if you've the stones for it).

I've known degenerates who slather theirs with peanut butter, honey, or any of a number of other "flavored" syrups.

Barbarian.

Keep your microwaveable "tells you when it's hot!" bottles and hand me either the small tin with the maple leaf or the encrusted bell jar from the pantry.

For Thou hast commanded, and so it is, that every
inordinate affection should be its own punishment.
-- St. Augustine (Confessions, i)

Warning: This post may be offensive. (4.12 / 8) (#13)
by porkchop_d_clown on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 01:49:56 PM EST

As shocking as it may seem, my children find pure maple syrup to be..... too strong!

I actually have to cut it with Karo light syrup before they will use it.

Greetings, new user. Please replace this text with a witty or insightful saying before using this software.

Roll-your-own is OK.... (4.33 / 6) (#16)
by graal on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 01:53:59 PM EST

...just steer clear of the likes of this.

You are actually to be commended, sir.

For Thou hast commanded, and so it is, that every
inordinate affection should be its own punishment.
-- St. Augustine (Confessions, i)

*hangs head in shame* (4.42 / 7) (#33)
by gblues on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 04:28:59 PM EST

Then again, when you get 2x as much syrup for half the price of the "real" maple syrup, Mrs. Butterworths doesn't look so bad.

I do prefer the real stuff, but my budget (read: wife) says "No."

At least the bottle doesn't start talking to me. :)

Nathan
... although in retrospect, having sex to the news was probably doomed to fail from the get-go. --squinky

That's the problem with cheap knockoffs (5.00 / 3) (#74)
by Nick Ives on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 07:41:40 PM EST

You need to buy real maple syrup, lots of it! Have a massive pancake fest with masses of maple syrup and top it off with a few pounds of granulated sugar.

I'm reasonably confident that the bottle will start talking after that kind of sugar rush =).

Nick
resulting emotional feelings are political media

Mrs. Butterworth, meet Mrs. Chebyshev. (5.00 / 3) (#94)
by pin0cchio on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 10:45:05 PM EST

If you don't like Mrs. Butterworth's because it fucks up the shape of your pancakes, try Mrs. Bessel instead.

If you want something sharper than Mrs. Butterworth, and you don't care much about ripples, say hello to Mrs. Chebyshev or even Mrs. Elliptic if you like a lot of ripples.

If you don't know anything about electrical engineering, start here to get the joke.

lj65
Well (4.33 / 6) (#25)
by tzigane on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 03:40:13 PM EST

That's OK. It saves more of the real stuff for you. ;-) I wish my kid would decide not to like the real stuff. He's 16 and he eats...

Knit on with confidence and hope through all crises. E. Zimmermann

the kid (5.00 / 3) (#101)
by bzbb on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 11:06:08 PM EST

I was that kid, so I learned to make other flavored syrups that don't suck.
-- It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds."

Samuel Adams

COMMUNISTS! (5.00 / 3) (#145)
by wiredog on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 09:57:20 AM EST

Cutting that Pure Vermonty Goodness with Karo! Good God on a go-cart! How can you allow such a thing! That's just Un-American! If you don't stop this Abuse of the Holy Syrup right now they will grow up to be granola crunching lefties opposed to property rights and freedom! Save them now! While you still can!

Earth first! We can strip mine the rest later.
Deforestation for breakfast (2.90 / 11) (#29)
by Nick Ives on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 04:12:54 PM EST

You do realise that the USian appetite for real maple syrup is causing immense levels of deforestation in Canada don't you?

Actually, rereading your post I see that you do. Your allusion to the "bell jar" clearly highlights your understanding of how crazy the situation is. Calling those who opt for a more eco-friendly path "barbarians" is a nice touch too.

Americans, you can't even have breakfast without destroying the planet.

Nick
or maybe I'm reading too much into this...

You do realize that (4.44 / 9) (#46)
by porkchop_d_clown on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 04:59:49 PM EST

tapping a maple tree doesn't kill it.

Yea (3.75 / 4) (#52)
by Nick Ives on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 05:22:55 PM EST

But I remember hearing once that lots of trees are being over tapped, or something. Removing all the sap from a tree sounds like a bad thing to do anyway.

I do realise that it's possible to harvest maple syrup in a sustainable fashion, I just saw an opportunity to twist around the post I was replying to and couldn't resist.

Nick
funky moderation stats.

How about some misinformation for those pancakes? (4.87 / 8) (#59)
by yankeehack on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 06:37:01 PM EST

You're so misinformed about this. Real live trees are used to make syrup. It's like harvesting fruit, except that the product is the sap. Tapping the sap doesn't kill the tree and it is in the best interest of the sugarmaker to keep the trees alive and healthy. In fact, at the state university, there is a whole program dedicating to Maple Syrup production.

In additon, Vermont has strict standards on what can be called Maple Sryup. Other states and countries, like Canada do not.

And anyway, go blame your Quebecker friends in that they're the ones who are ramping up production and adding preservatives and addatives (like sugar cane, etc.) to their syrup. Most Canadian syrup isn't pure.

I'm waging my own war against terror. I'm nuking all articles about terrorism, why the US shouldn't go into Iraq, why Bush/Ashcroft/Wolfowitz/etc.

Maple Truth (3.75 / 4) (#67)
by Nick Ives on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 07:09:53 PM EST

I'm not misinformed at all. I heard something once about maybe five years ago in a passing comment most likely on some unrelated tv show and am thereby claiming infallibility.

I'm going to go a little further here and say that the USian lust for tree juice is most likely the cause for the epidemic in obesity over there. I mean, I'd be huge too if I ate a bloody tree for breakfast every day. In my view the solution is simple, we should round all the maple-eaters and plant them feet first in the ground and leave them until all the sacred maple-juice has seeped from their bodies, taking good care of them of course as we wouldn't want to waste any juice. Think of all the trees that would surely sprout!

Either way, I think we're (or maybe I'm) going quite offtopic, so I'm glad I can finish this post on a point of agreement: Blame the Quebecker's. They speak French, and I can deal with blaming the French. I lived with a French guy last summer and he was cool, he came back from visiting home with some really nice wine and cheese. It was nice that we could both agree to blame each other for all the worlds problems and still get along just fine.

Nick
I fell in love with a tree once.

Precision cooking. . . (3.95 / 20) (#12)
by Pop Top on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 01:47:54 PM EST

As far as the difference in measurements, I don't really have a clue, but you usually don't have to be precise in cooking.  Recipes are guides rather than something like a programming language that has to be precise.

My wife and I have come to accept our differences on this point.

I see recipes as a source of inspiration, not a "thou shalt. . ." and I like to throw in various spices entirely by intuition, with generally good results, while my wife will measure precisely 4 cups of water when making powdered lemonade.

The fact that our usual lemonade container only hold 4 cups and therefore powder + water to the brim = 4 cups of lemonade is a concept that seems to elude her. Maybe its just her "German" showing through.

Pecan pancakes always get a +1 FP from me, yet pecan waffles get a +2 FP, even those made at the Waffle House

even? (4.50 / 4) (#54)
by alprazolam on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 05:50:17 PM EST

don't knock the waffle house...there's nothing wrong with it.

not to mention without them a large portion of the US would never have the opportunity to enjoy pecan waffles..

Waffle House - Heh! (4.66 / 3) (#62)
by Pop Top on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 06:51:01 PM EST

I love the Waffle House yet I have several family and friends who think I am whacked for holding that opinion.

But then I also like Shake and Steak

well... (none / 0) (#152)
by alprazolam on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 11:15:59 AM EST

Steak and Shake has the knock that service slips a little bit sometimes...like how they will completely ignore an entire table unless you yell at people.

However knocking Waffle House just because it isn't refined enough for some people's snobbish tastes is elitist classism.

Needs more info (3.58 / 17) (#14)
by Fon2d2 on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 01:51:34 PM EST

How do I sift these dry ingredients? Is there like some kind of utensil for this? What size bowl am I sifting them into? Do I need to mix them around after I have sifted them or do the seperate ingredients just sort of lay atop one another? If so, what is the correct order for sifting and do I need to clean out the sifter after every ingredient? How do I beat the eggs? What's this egg mixer? Is that done in a spereate bowl? What kind of vegetable oil am I supposed to use? Canola oil? Soybean oil? Corn oil? Crisco? Does vanilla mean vanilla extract? Am I supposed to go out and buy this stuff? Buttermilk, vanilla, pecans? Just for one meal? How am I supposed to add the flour? Is this all done in a new bowl or in the egg mixer? How do I know when the flour egg mix is just mixed? What if I beat it too long? How am I supposed to toast the pecans? What rack do they go on? Do I set the oven to bake or broil? Do I need to preheat it first? How will I know the best time to take them out? How should I oil the griddle? Do I need to use vegetable oil for that, or butter, or maybe perhaps PAM? What temperature does this griddle need to be set at? How do I know how brown the pancakes should be, when to flip them, etc? What if I suck at flipping the pancakes? Can you please help me?

See the "How to Make Things Not Hot" art (4.00 / 5) (#17)
by graal on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 02:02:43 PM EST

For Thou hast commanded, and so it is, that every
inordinate affection should be its own punishment.
-- St. Augustine (Confessions, i)

Seems you are a cooking newbee (4.20 / 5) (#18)
by sliver on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 02:04:14 PM EST

Your questions imply that any kind of cooking is new to you, so I suggest that this recipie for making pecan pancakes is beyond your skill level. I suggest that you start with something simple, like boiling water. This will give you an opportunity to learn about your stove and what flame level will suffice and how long you should expect to wait, etc. I am assuming that you will be able to recognize what water looks like when it is boiling. If you lack this basic information, then I would suggest a class.

clearly... (1.00 / 1) (#129)
by quinten on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 01:19:49 AM EST

you are a trolling newbie. you overdid it.
Ceci n'est pas un sig
Nope, not a troll (5.00 / 1) (#137)
by squidinkcalligraphy on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 04:08:10 AM EST

Rather, it was written by a real engineer.
An identity card is better that no identity at all
Sourmilk pancakes... (3.88 / 17) (#15)
by porkchop_d_clown on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 01:52:18 PM EST

Take your favorite pancake recipe (I like corn flour pancakes). Pour the specified amount of milk into a larger container and add 1-2 tbs of lemon juice. Let sit for 5 minutes. Use this sour milk instead of the regular milk in your recipe.

You may find that the batter is too thick, so keep extra milk on hand to thin it as needed.

The pancakes will be super fluffy and have a nice tangy flavor.

Fluffy pancakes (5.00 / 2) (#84)
by Teehmar on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 09:55:47 PM EST

Another trick I use to get ultra tall fluffy pancakes:
Separate the eggs, blend the yolks into the batter.
Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks, then fold into the rest of the batter at the last minute.

Okay - I gotta ask. (5.00 / 1) (#90)
by porkchop_d_clown on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 10:24:33 PM EST

How the heck do you beat egg whites? I always try using my little Braun milk-shake mixer thing, but all that does it make them foam - no peaks.

It seems like a huge waste to pull out a big mixer for two little egg whites...

Small mixer or whisk (5.00 / 1) (#110)
by aziegler on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 11:32:03 PM EST

A small mixer will do the job perfectly; a whisk will as well, but you run the risk of RSI for that. One other choice is a hand beater, but I don't like those because they often get stuck.

The Braun thing runs too fast (the art to getting good peaks in egg whites is actually a matter of not whipping the eggs TOO fast). The best way to get peaks in egg whites -- not recommended for this sort of recipe, of course -- is to add a bit of sugar (:

-austin

Thanks (5.00 / 1) (#113)
by porkchop_d_clown on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 11:43:18 PM EST

I'll give it a spin. :-P

This is... (5.00 / 1) (#108)
by aziegler on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 11:30:02 PM EST

actually quite common for making waffles. There's a recipe on epicurious for waffles that's absolutley out of this world (it's from the Fannie Farmer cookbook, and is made with yeast)... I'd post it, but it'd be breaking copyright.

Preferably use real buttermilk (n/t) (5.00 / 1) (#107)
by aziegler on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 11:28:31 PM EST

I prefer thin pancakes (5.00 / 1) (#128)
by quinten on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 01:18:10 AM EST

Dutch (French) style thin pancakes (pannekeuken/crepes) are much better in my opinion than American style hotcakes. Although they have different things going for them, certainly.
Ceci n'est pas un sig
LOL (3.72 / 18) (#20)
by Run4YourLives on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 02:30:24 PM EST

You're on a roll today aren't you Boz....

Well, at least it has nothing to do with Iraq, George W, or terrorism...

+1 this time :-)

It's slightly Japanese, but without all of that fanatical devotion to the workplace. - CheeseburgerBrown

Speaking of which... (none / 0) (#169)
by UncannyVortex on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 01:51:21 PM EST

George W. is the presidential equivalent of a crapflooder.

Also, Ashcroft is a flamebaiter. (Hi John, I know you're reading this.)

-- Uncanny Vortex

Write in vote (3.73 / 15) (#24)
by Cloaked User on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 03:23:26 PM EST

* Yes, although I've never tried them with pecans

I know, I know, don't complain about the lack of options... ;-)
"What the fuck do you mean 'Are you inspired to come to work'? Of course I'm not 'inspired'. It's a job for God's sake! The money's enough and the work's not so crap that I leave."

lack of options (5.00 / 4) (#53)
by duxup on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 05:26:47 PM EST

No, the rule is do not apologize about complaining about the lack of options.

Make it stop (1.02 / 40) (#34)
by ubu on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 04:37:02 PM EST

Oh God forgive us if there is one righteous person left on this site, won't you spare us the fire and brimstone? Kuro5hin must enter a time of mourning and wearing sackcloth to repent its horrible stupidity, its inanity, its multitude of jackasses, its praise for "humor" which is so unfunny it makes baby infant newborns bleed from the anus and shit from their melted eyesockets...

Please don't destroy us for our horrible horrible pathetic misery and for people like theboz and mrgoat and bunny vomit and duxup... i don't want to die for a retard, i don't want to die...

Ubu

As good old software hats say - "You are in very safe hands, if you are using CVS !!!"
Come on over (2.00 / 7) (#96)
by Eloquence on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 10:47:33 PM EST

There's other Scoop sites than K5, you know. For example, my own one. True, we only talk about ad-blocking, file sharing, overthrowing the political system and stuff like that, but we do it with style, and I'll personally ensure that no pancakes ever make it to the frontpage.

FWIW, I think Rusty should delete crap stories that are just posted for humor value. Or put them in a separate, hidden section. Sure, that leads us one step away from the whole democracy through collaborative filtering idea, but then again, I blame the problem on the unfiltered diary section, which attracts all kinds of people that really shouldn't be here in the first place.
Copyright law is bad: infoAnarchy Pleasure is good: Origins of Violence
spread the word!

Gold Medal (3.52 / 19) (#35)
by kiltedtaco on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 04:46:18 PM EST

Gold Medal flour is essential. Don't get that cheap crap you see that the Kwik-e-mart, your pancakes will come out terrible. I repeat, Gold Medal ONLY.

Do you think I'm not serious? (4.00 / 8) (#39)
by kiltedtaco on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 04:50:24 PM EST

I'm completely serious. It's the best. I'm not trolling, i'm just trying to make sure everyone can produce the highest quality pancakes.

King Arthur (4.00 / 1) (#149)
by Dolohov on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 10:30:11 AM EST

Living near the VT border, I'd have to disagree -- King Arthur flour is really damn good for pancakes. Unbleached, too.

AMEN! (4.00 / 1) (#151)
by Iesu II on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 10:42:06 AM EST

I've tried several all-purpose flours; King Arthur is best by a long shot followed by Hodgson's Mill (sp?) and (surprisingly) Pillsbury.

Hey, look everybody! (5.00 / 1) (#37)
by porkchop_d_clown on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 04:49:14 PM EST

It's the riders of the mod storm

Anybody know if they're both the same guy?

And a third. (2.81 / 11) (#43)
by porkchop_d_clown on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 04:54:24 PM EST

here

Although I guess now we have a full blown temper tantrum on our hands.

The scary thing is.. (4.66 / 3) (#111)
by cavalier on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 11:32:50 PM EST

Whoever would have thought that pancakes would be a topic that enraged so many people?

Forget politics, forget MS bashing, forget EverCrack..

I mean, think about it! All you need to do to send these angry, hormone filled boys into a rage is a post about PANCAKES?

(*clutches Rheal Maypl Syrup bottle*)

Kuro5hin: all mod storms, all the time (3.16 / 6) (#68)
by dr k on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 07:18:12 PM EST

Personally, I have been on a modstorm since January.

Destroy all trusted users!

Yeah, but I respect you - (4.00 / 4) (#73)
by porkchop_d_clown on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 07:32:17 PM EST

you have a valid point, as opposed to Ubu and others who seem to be one person throwing a temper tantrum.

To make this Southern... (3.85 / 14) (#44)
by Lode Runner on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 04:54:35 PM EST

you need to top the pancakes with molasses instead of New England maple syrup; or a pinch of dark brown sugar will do in a pinch.

Now, if you really want the full-blown pecan pancake experience, use the cooked pancakes to mop up the leftover batter. IMPORTANT NOTE: please disregard the previous sentence if do not wish to run the risk of playing host for Mr. Salmonella enteritidis. Man, I miss raw batter...

It's VERMONT maple syrup (5.00 / 6) (#49)
by yankeehack on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 05:18:44 PM EST

Yes, Vermont is in New England, but New England is not Vermont (unfortunately). Get your geography right.

More about Vermont Maple Syrup

Bah, Vermont Shmermont (5.00 / 1) (#106)
by aziegler on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 11:25:52 PM EST

Gimme good Canuckleheaded maple syrup any day over that Vermont stuff. (:

-a

Vermont maple syrup (5.00 / 1) (#146)
by fullcity on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 09:58:06 AM EST

From that site's "Vermont Maple Syrup Grades":
Vermont Fancy, U.S. Grade A Light Amber Maple Syrup: This light amber colored syrup has a delicate maple bouquet and a delightfully mild maple flavor.
Not to mention its lovely maple appearance, a somewhat maplish mouthfeel, and the fact that when poured, it gives off a distinctive maple sound.

There's one fly in the ointment that we've swept under the rug.

read the label carefully (none / 0) (#155)
by sasquatchan on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 11:43:13 AM EST

and you'll see even on those VT maple syrup packages, they might be bottled in VT, but the syrup came from Canada.
-- The internet is not here for your personal therapy.
This story is worth $44,000 (1.26 / 23) (#64)
by ubu on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 06:54:36 PM EST

What the CMF's all about, frankly. Let's give ourselves a big round of applause.

Ubu

Notice: (1.77 / 35) (#65)
by kitten on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 06:57:44 PM EST

To all you people who are forever complaining about the crap that gets posted around here, about how K5 is losing it's fascination under a torrent of crap, about the signal to noise ratio, about what can be done to clean up the Front Page.. you have only yourselves to blame for this stupidity.

Enjoy your pancakes.
mirrorshades radio - darkwave, synthpop, industrial, futurepop.
Thank you. We will. (3.90 / 10) (#69)
by porkchop_d_clown on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 07:19:42 PM EST

And stop taking yourself so mother-loving seriously.

There is more to life than debating whether Dubya is a threat or a menace.

stfu. (1.13 / 22) (#72)
by kitten on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 07:32:16 PM EST

There is more to life than debating whether Dubya is a threat or a menace.

There are more ways of amusing the masses and having a welcome distraction from the political articles than posting complete and utter shit like this.
mirrorshades radio - darkwave, synthpop, industrial, futurepop.
You, sir or madam, need a hug. (4.00 / 3) (#104)
by cavalier on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 11:18:12 PM EST

There is more to life than debating whether Dubya is a threat or a menace.

Somebody in here needs a great big hug and some fluffy pancakes in his/her tummy. You are loved. cheers :)

Careful. (4.75 / 4) (#112)
by porkchop_d_clown on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 11:38:47 PM EST

I know cats. I think this one may bite.

If you met kitten in real life, (3.83 / 6) (#118)
by wedman on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 11:54:50 PM EST

you'd probably find out that he really is a pussy.

~
DELETE FROM comments WHERE uid=9524;
Hmm. (1.57 / 7) (#121)
by kitten on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 12:19:16 AM EST

you'd probably find out that he really is a pussy

Yeah, well. You are what you eat.
mirrorshades radio - darkwave, synthpop, industrial, futurepop.
You eat kittens? (4.60 / 5) (#126)
by Stick on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 01:13:50 AM EST

Are you chinese?

Stick, thine posts bring light to mine eyes, tingles to my loins. Yea, each moment I sit, my monitor before me, waiting, yearning, needing your prose to make the moment complete. - Joh3n
Yes, but consider this, my good man (1.07 / 14) (#80)
by ubu on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 09:36:24 PM EST

Some of us don't give a shit about Dubya and we don't give a shit about pancake recipes. And even if we did give a shit about pancake recipes, we'd probably go find them at a site with FUCKING PANCAKE RECIPES. But at least Dubya's a real fucking topic.

No, seriously. Just stop a second and think about it. You fucking twat.

Ubu

Whine, Whine. (4.66 / 9) (#93)
by porkchop_d_clown on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 10:44:32 PM EST

So, let's see. I've just been overwhelmingly outvoted by a cross section of international geeks. I can (a) take a few minutes to consider the possbility that I should relax, reconsider my actions and try again another day or, (b) mod storm everyone who disagrees with me and encourage them to change their view point by saying things like "stfu" and "you fucking twat".

Such a tough decision.

Umm.. (4.33 / 6) (#114)
by Arkayne on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 11:45:23 PM EST

Have you listened to a Bush speech lately? From my experience, pancakes are far more relevant, unpredictable and down to earth.

And more satisfying as well. (4.66 / 6) (#116)
by porkchop_d_clown on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 11:48:35 PM EST

None of that "But where's the real fact-filling?"

What? (4.90 / 10) (#70)
by Nick Ives on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 07:29:01 PM EST

I really don't get it. I saw a simple story about pancakes. I voted it up because, well, I like pancakes. I gave it FP because I just happen to be in a happy mood today. I've attached a couple of stupid comments to this article to be sure, but at least they were related to pancakes. Then I actually refreshed the story and looked at all the top level comments and I'm like, wha?

What's the deal here? Can't you make do with a few editorials that go "this is crap, don't bother with it"? I mean, I've been hanging around k5 for a long time and it's always been a little hit & miss. Sometimes it's great, sometimes it sucks and most of the time it's somewhere in between. It's just a website where lots of people get together and say lots of things, sometimes something comes of it and sometimes nothing does. What's the big problem?

Just so you know, I don't mind people complaining about articles. Ucblockhead has taken to posting in all politics articles asking people to vote -1, a position I happen to mostly agree with, but AFAIK he isn't crapflooding articles and he isn't doing his campaigning in topical comments.

Nick
Man

Over. the. top. (1.43 / 16) (#81)
by ubu on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 09:38:28 PM EST

Look at this. Incredible. These people shouldn't be voting for a goddamned thing. But we even let them vote for the president, imagine.

Ubu<?p>

Really? (4.62 / 8) (#89)
by Nick Ives on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 10:22:05 PM EST

I can vote for your president? Wow. You know, I really wish you'd told me that during your last election, I mean, then I could have voted in Florida's elections. Hell, maybe I could have voted in them all!

Just how does that work anyway? Isn't it kind of weird opening up you're elections to the entire world? Most countries tend to limit voting rights to people who are actually citizens.

Seriously though, what compels you to be such an arsehole? You can't honestly believe that your helping "improve" k5 in any fashion by being an offensive shithead. Maybe you honestly believe that what hits the FP is as important a decision as who should be the head of your government, in which case you've got lots of problems that I really don't think I can help you with.

Is it beyond your capabilities to post editorials or diaries? Do you really think that what hits the FP is so important that you have to shit all over it if you don't like it? For some reason the antics of you and you're chums conjures up the image of a bunch of toddlers all running around proclaiming "look! look! we shit our pants!!". Do you expect anyone to be impressed?

I'm going to repeat the question I asked in my original post. What's the big problem?

Nick
weetabix

Heh (1.33 / 15) (#91)
by ubu on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 10:25:09 PM EST

Don't preach at me, you jackass. You voted for a fucking pancake recipe.

For Christ's sake, you voted a pancake recipe to the front page and now you're lecturing me about using the fucking diary system?

You fat fuck. You just told me exactly what the problem is, and you acted like I'm the guy causing it. The real question is, what the fuck is your problem?

Ubu

dude (5.00 / 5) (#95)
by irksome on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 10:46:04 PM EST

If you don't want to read articles on how to make pancakes, then don't read them.  It's not like there's a jackbooted thug holding a gun to your head, forcing you to read it.  It seems you're in America, which is still a free country, no matter what John Ashcroft seems to think.  Rather than bitching about a pancake recipe, just ignore it.

/me heads off, mumbling about all the goddamn self-righteous morons who have nothing better to do with their time than complain because something they don't care about got posted to the front page of K5

I think I am, therefore I'm not.

Meh (4.66 / 6) (#98)
by Nick Ives on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 10:55:18 PM EST

Yes, I voted for a pancake recipe. I hope it's a tasty pancake recipe too. Let me put it to you slowly, in words I think even you can understand.

I like pancakes.

OK?

Now, what I'm asking you to do is instead of being an offensive wanker in the topical comments be an offensive wanker in the editorials or in your diary. The problem isn't this story, the problem is your response to it and you are the guy causing that problem. Nobody else has a problem except for you and your impromptu cabel of crapflooders. This story was fine until you guys hit it.

Now, I'm free to vote however I feel like for whatever reason I feel like. That's the point of democracy. You're also free to complain about how I vote but not here in this story and most certainly not in that fashion. The majority of voters have decided that they want a pancake recipe on the front page. You should respect that and let this article continue it's course and take your complaints to a diary.

Nick
easy peasy

Please (2.50 / 2) (#160)
by Rahaan on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 12:58:24 PM EST

Stop feeding the trolls.

you know, jake.. i've noticed that, since the tacos started coming, the mail doesn't so much come as often, or even at all
For Ubu, It's all about the idea that (4.18 / 11) (#97)
by porkchop_d_clown on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 10:54:19 PM EST

"democracy is only for people who agree with me."

Apparently a couple of k5 readers feel that their own opinions are so important that the opinions of everyone else shouldn't matter. They chose to deal with opposition not with sweet reason but with temper tantrums. As near as I can tell, the sheer backlash to their behavior is what pushed pancakes to the front page.

Personally, I like pancakes, too.

Agreed. (5.00 / 1) (#119)
by Arkayne on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 11:54:56 PM EST

I agree 100% - couldn't have said it better.

Frankly, I believe that it's attitudes as previously demonstrated by "kitten" that'll destroy K5 before their described "crap" does.

More pancakes - less self-righteous, holier-than-thou, wanna-be political pundits.

What they seem to fail to understand is that in the hands of a decent author, even a subject such as this can be enlightening, entertaining and relevant. Posting bitch-fests about Bush does not by default make you look cool with your friends.

what i like about this (3.33 / 3) (#123)
by Work on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 12:44:03 AM EST

It's based on facts, unlike every other political discussion on here like..the largely fact devoid article that made FP on 'unconditional inspection', while the article clarifying that yes in fact, there were conditions was knocked down.

It's not opionated, well, not terribly anyway. Obviously, he likes pecan pancakes, and who could blame him?

Considering the hit this is taking shows that k5 has swung farther to the left and become a pawn more than ever before. I've been around here long enough to see the occasionally couple weeks of extreme leftist drivel getting through, but usually moderates win out and drive them off. Pancakes is the response to this. I hope it drives the anal retentive bush haters out.

If that's that case.. (4.25 / 4) (#124)
by Arkayne on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 12:54:06 AM EST

..power to the pancake!

-raises measuring cup in defiant salute-

Just bad luck (none / 0) (#192)
by TurboThy on Thu Oct 03, 2002 at 06:46:38 PM EST

An elderly couple in Odense, Denmark received write-in vote cards in the mail at the last US presidential elections. There were 2 envelopes, both addressed to people with wildly dissimilar names in a city of vaguely similar name somewhere in the Midwest.

I like pancakes.
__
'Someone will sig this comment. They will. I know it.' [Egil Skallagrimson]
Yay! (4.00 / 9) (#71)
by Canthros on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 07:29:42 PM EST

Pancakes!

Hey, you can vote up crappy and uninteresting political screeds, and other people can vote up things they're interested in. And if you really don't like it, write an article about something you'd like to read and submit it.

It's now obvious you are either A) Gay or B) Female, or possibly both.
RyoCokey

Interesting (1.26 / 15) (#79)
by ubu on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 09:34:15 PM EST

Yeah, huh... that sort of makes sense. Except, this is a recipe FOR FUCKING PANCAKES, YOU TWAT.

Ubu

And I repeat: (5.00 / 1) (#92)
by Canthros on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 10:25:38 PM EST

Is simple, no?

It's now obvious you are either A) Gay or B) Female, or possibly both.
RyoCokey
kudos... (3.80 / 5) (#77)
by trener on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 08:32:34 PM EST

what's worse - theboz is the most vocal of the "crap, CRAP, CRAP - k5 is CRAP (by the way, i have 94 days left in my subscription and i don't think i'm going to renew)" crew.

that said, i'm torn, because i love seeing crap get posted to the front page and having people go "oh my god, it's CRAP!".

I kind of agree (4.20 / 5) (#78)
by sticky on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 09:03:49 PM EST

I would much rather have seen a brilliant, factual, and enlightening article on sapphires make it to the FP. Since I do like pancakes though, this story will have to do.

Don't eat the shrimp.---God
Jesusfuck (1.75 / 8) (#82)
by TheOnlyCoolTim on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 09:38:51 PM EST

There was no brilliant, factual, and enlightening article on sapphires. There was a fucking troll consisting of a third grade school report.

If that's what you want to see k5 consist of, I am sure that the local third grade teacher would be glad to let you look at the students' reports on all sorts of topics. Maybe some of them will even have made those volcanoes that use baking soda and vinegar.

Tim
"We are trapped in the belly of this horrible machine, and the machine is bleeding to death."

I take offense sir (4.20 / 5) (#125)
by Stick on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 01:11:22 AM EST

I demand satisfaction.

Gloveslap, baby, gloveslap! (1.75 / 4) (#130)
by TheOnlyCoolTim on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 01:20:34 AM EST

Gloveslap, shut your big yap!

And I own lead-lined gloves used for protection from a 60's Civil Defense X-Ray machine, so you'd better watch out!

Tim

Jesus, kitten (4.33 / 6) (#127)
by Captain_Tenille on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 01:15:45 AM EST

If you and your friends hadn't freaked out about this pancake article, no one would have said anything and it would probably just have been voted to section only, where it belonged. Your little tantrum only made things worse.

I hope your mother is proud of you.
----
/* You are not expected to understand this. */

Man Vs. Nature: The Road to Victory!

K5 recipie for savoury goodness. (2.00 / 8) (#83)
by Fandango on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 09:44:03 PM EST

Take one Google

Copy and paste a little text - site: www.kuro5hin.org wild pizza

Delicious!

Post crap stories/Get worse comments!
Garbage Input --> Garbage Output

Excellent protest.

Yummy Pancakes! (5.00 / 6) (#85)
by wedman on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 09:56:28 PM EST

I still haven't seen a good reason why people think this is a bad story. I think it's a refreshing splash of salubrious lip smacking, satisfying imagery of tasty, aromatic pecan pancakes. When I read this story, I swear, I could actually smell and taste these pancakes! It was enough to peel my mind away from serious issues, like retarded presidents and little boys named Timmy who fall down wells.

This story moved me so much, that I'm actually going to cook myself up a batch tonight. (You're all invited! Be here in half an hour.)

Kudos to theboz!

~
DELETE FROM comments WHERE uid=9524;

BTW... (5.00 / 3) (#87)
by wedman on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 10:05:25 PM EST

K5 needs a 'printable format' option for stories. It will make it easier to add this to my recipe book.

Thanks!

~
DELETE FROM comments WHERE uid=9524;
It does (5.00 / 3) (#88)
by coryking on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 10:15:44 PM EST

See that little "printer" icon to the left of the title?

Hmmm... printery goodness.

Are you patronizing me? (5.00 / 4) (#100)
by wedman on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 10:59:40 PM EST

Ha! You're just jealous because I'm eating savory pecan pancakes and you're not.

~
DELETE FROM comments WHERE uid=9524;
-1, Not about politics (1.09 / 11) (#86)
by Demiurge on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 09:57:56 PM EST

If I wanted K5 to degenerate into a banal geek mediocracy, I'd just read slashdot instead.

they post pancake recipes on /.!?! (5.00 / 7) (#102)
by porkchop_d_clown on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 11:06:53 PM EST

Whoa. I may have to start reading it again.

What about chili? They got chili recipes on /.?

Porkchop's Peanutbutter Pancakes. (5.00 / 4) (#99)
by porkchop_d_clown on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 10:56:56 PM EST

I am not kidding.

• 2 cups Bisquik or other self-rising biscuit mix
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter

Mix it up, and cook 'em up. With maple syrup you'd swear you were eating Tastykake Tandycakes for breakfast. (Philadelphia people will know what I mean)

Ummmm... Better make that 2 eggs. (5.00 / 3) (#103)
by porkchop_d_clown on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 11:07:53 PM EST

Brain fart. A thousand pardons.

Fried Oreos for me, please... (5.00 / 2) (#120)
by malathud on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 12:02:59 AM EST

1 large bag of Oreo cookies
2 cups of pancake mix
1-1/2 cups of milk
2 eggs
4 tsp. of oil

Preheat deep fryer to 375 F. Combine pancake mix, milk, eggs and oil. Mix until there are no lumps. Dip Oreos into batter, make sure both sides are covered and put the Oreos into the deep fryer. The cookie will float so make sure you flip the cookie over so that both sides are golden brown. The cookies will cook fast so watch them so they will not burn. Take out Oreos and enjoy. The cookies are best straight out of the deep fryer!! Makes about 54 Oreos.

Flames to /dev/null, please.
thankyouverymuch (4.50 / 2) (#132)
by chipr on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 01:49:06 AM EST

Elvis ... is that you?

Yay, too bad (3.75 / 4) (#105)
by kholmes on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 11:18:45 PM EST

I can't cook.

If you treat people as most people treat things and treat things as most people treat people, you might be a Randian.
Nonsense. (none / 0) (#115)
by porkchop_d_clown on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 11:46:47 PM EST

Even space pirates can cook! You just take it one step at a time. Start out simple, making ironing board grilled cheese sandwiches with ramen noodles on the side. Once you've got the knack of cooking the sandwich without overdoing it (hint: don't use the "steam press" setting on the iron) you can expand into things like cans of tomato soup and instant oatmeal. Next, crack the cover on a cook book and before you know it you'll be cranking out delicious crock-pots full of chili and other manly food stuffs.

Recipes... (4.80 / 5) (#109)
by bzbb on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 11:31:23 PM EST

Are for the weak-willed. Pancakes recipes more than most.

Bzbb's pancake algorithm
Makes any number of pancakes, of any size.

Take a number of measures of ground grain products (whole wheat or white flour, corn meal, buckwheat, etc), some sweetener (or not), some baking powder (not too much), and sift this.

Make a volume of liquids approx. twice the volume of the dry ingredients, in a separate container. This should contain about 1 egg for every fistful (or so) of flour, more, if the flours used are low gluten. This may also contain fruit purees, flavorings, and shortening. The majority of this should be milk or water, milk recommended, buttermilk more so. If plain milk is used, a small amount of lemon juice, vinegar, yoghurt (or similar, and/or sour cream may be added, to enhance flavor.

Mix the wet and dry portions together, without mix too hard. Try to gently break up the clumps. At this stage, if the mix is between too thick, and too thin, solid additive may be added, like kernel corn, nuts, raisins, chopped dates, etc. If the batter is outside the above mentioned range, the mix may be corrected by carefully adding and mixing small amounts of dry or liquid ingredients.

At this stage, you are ready to cook the batter. To cook it, I recommend a flat, smooth surface, covered either in oiled Teflon, or cooking oil.  This surface should be hot enough to make a drip of batter bubble and hiss when dropped on to it.  The surface should be maintained at this temperature throughout the process.  Pour the batter on the surface, to about the maximum size your turner will let you turn.  When the bubble are holes through middle of the cake, flip it. When the cake is firm in the middle, and before it smells burnt, it's done.  Eat them however you prefer.

Samuel Adams

Articles like this are good? (4.60 / 10) (#117)
by sizban on Wed Sep 18, 2002 at 11:54:03 PM EST

Yes, I say. I logged onto K5 expecting to find the usual political rhetoric (which usually includes some mighty good commentary) and found a recipe for pancakes. Where else can you find origial articles like this? Certianly not on ./ or other news sites. I get more interesting news and opinions from K5 than I do from many other sources throughout the day. Without the occasional article about pancakes, would we ever learn anything new and interesting? This is why I believe articles like this are a GoodThing(tm). Just my $0.02, which isn't worth half of that. ;)

Ah... (4.85 / 7) (#122)
by Work on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 12:36:24 AM EST

eating pancakes is like reading posts and stories here. At first they look delicious and tempting, but by the time you're done you're sick of them.

Wow..... (4.91 / 12) (#131)
by Wing Envy on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 01:45:33 AM EST

Admittedly, I have nothing to contribute in the way of pancake preparation. However, I must say that through looking over the comments in this story and the varied viewpoints and interpretations, that this is indeed, a work of art. It has controversy, speculation, has heightened emotions, been seen in a political light, and all the while I simply thought it was about pancakes. Man....I'm getting slow in my old age.

Perhaps you should ask... A NINJA (5.00 / 18) (#133)
by Joe Groff on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 02:17:54 AM EST

When I was a young boy, I awoke every morning to the delicious smell of pancakes. My mother, and father's dojo contained within it a hot griddle perfect for making pancakes, waffles, and a multitude of other pancake-like breakfast pastries. I remember them well -- The pleasant, care-free days of my childhood in the dojo were often spent peering into the kitchen with eager anticipation as my mother prepared pancakes my family.

As I grew older, and began my journey to spiritual enlightenment, the memories of my pancake-eating youth filled my heart and dreams with warm, fluffy goodness....Ahhh, yes..the sweet, sweet memories... The day I ate 10 pancakes... The day I placed a warm pancake between my fleshy loins and performed the forbidden dance... The day pressed a pancake to my buttocks and encouraged my dog to come eat.. Indeed, much of my childhood was spent in pure innocence -- An innocence only pancakes can provide. It was heaven. A heaven, filled with pancakes, where I sat at the throne of God, with my hand-maidens Aunt Jemimah and Mrs. Butterworth seated beside me. An indestructible triumvirate made of flour, eggs, sugar, milk, water, and love.

By the age of 15, the path of my life became unclear and confusing. Torn between my duty my village and my love for pancakes, I foolishly left home in search of karaguchi ah-nowakadesu .. the ultimate pancake. My journey took me to the many islands of my homeland, many days away from my dojo. My hunger for pancakes became my teacher, and foolishly I let it control the path that I walked upon. My feet, sore from travel, ached as my heart and stomach did, until I came to a realization. My duty was clear. I needed to take a stand and accept my love for the art of the ninja AND my love for pancakes. It was not wrong for me to love both. I love one as a dear friend, and one as a lover. Yes--My mission was clear--I must become a ninja, a secret assassin hired by the imperial family BUT I MUST ALSO ENJOY THE OCCASIONAL PANCAKE.

My adoration for breakfast cakes has placed me within an awkward position. Many ninja refuse to recognize me as their brother. I defend my father's land, but I am looked upon as weak and undisciplined. I tell them, "But, brothers! Listen to my plea! The pancakes do not weaken me, nor do they make me disobey the rule of my sword. They fill me with love." But alas, they do not understand...For the mind of a ninja is complex.

My only earthly desire is to be accepted for who I am. Yes, I am a NINJA--But I also enjoy pancakes. Will you accept me? If you were approached by a ninja who requested a pancake, would you submit to his will?
How long must I travel on
to be just where you are?

Kill the pancake ninja! (none / 0) (#184)
by rusty on Fri Sep 20, 2002 at 01:17:50 PM EST

Pancake ninja! Pancake ninja! Back to Metafilter! None of your kind here!

Pancake Ninja!!!!!

____
Not the real rusty

Metafilter? (none / 0) (#185)
by Joe Groff on Fri Sep 20, 2002 at 02:38:16 PM EST

If I recall, the pancake ninja was originally a Slashdot inhabitant.
How long must I travel on
to be just where you are?

Pizza Sized (4.33 / 3) (#134)
by Blarney on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 02:26:54 AM EST

Makes 16 four-inch pancakes.

Or you could just make one, enormous, 16-inch pancake. If pizza comes in that size, I don't know why pancakes can't.

Please cut the pancake into four slices (4.00 / 3) (#142)
by Quila on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 08:18:40 AM EST

I don't think I could eat sixteen.

super-size pancakes (5.00 / 1) (#156)
by tanpiover2 on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 11:47:24 AM EST

They can.
I used to work in a restaurant that made pancakes on Sundays for "Sunday Brunch". Brunch ran until noon, after that, brunch items came off the menu. If there was any pancake batter left over (and I usually made sure there was), we'd clear the flat top griddle and make the "Uncle Buck Pancake" with a diameter of about 20 inches.

It took two of us to flip it without breaking. We'd put it on a tray, put out some maple syrup, and have breakfast for the entire crew.

But masters, remember that I am an ass: though it be not written down, yet forget not that I am an ass.

cooking it evenly... (4.50 / 2) (#163)
by porkchop_d_clown on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 01:17:12 PM EST

How do you flip a 16" pancake?

take two spatulas (5.00 / 1) (#165)
by speek on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 01:22:40 PM EST

Hold them in one hand so as to create a "fan" effect - ie, so that both spatula line up to create a double sized spatula. Work them under the pancake - flip! Works pretty well actually so long as you can stand a little splatter.

Perhaps the State of Hawaii could countersue the woman that gave birth to and raised a
Parent ]

The fine art of Cooking ! (4.33 / 3) (#135)
by Shubin on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 03:13:07 AM EST

There is an idea in my mind, arising in regular intervals for a couple of months : A Programmer's cookbook.
We really need it. No more fast food and Cola. Programmers are valuable social elements. They should not die of hamburgers.
There should be recipes, well suited for our way of life. Cooking should be either very fast so programmer will not be tempted to return to the screen, or very slow, to allow 1/2 - 1 hour breaks for Quake or reading mail. Or a combination of fast and slow processes. It should be healthy food. And it should be possible to make it anywhere in the world where programmers live (excluding Antarctic).

so very true (5.00 / 1) (#136)
by squidinkcalligraphy on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 03:59:25 AM EST

Strange, I never thought about it, but I'm a programmer and that is exactly how I cook. Either excessively elaborate and time-consuming gourmet delights, or something quick and dirty (well, it still has to taste good). Rule of thumb for fast meals: if it ain't in the house, it ain't gonna be used. (occasional exceptions can be made if living next to a milkbar). But being forced to cook with what you have on hand is quite a liberating experience (from the cookbooks).

As for anywhere in the world? Erm, sorry, but i reckon fresh tofu will be difficult to get in Bulgaria, while certain asian condiments I like are pretty damn hard to find in western countries like australia. Lets not bow to the lowest common denominator, coz then all that we'll be left with is rice and beef.
An identity card is better that no identity at all

Anywhere in the world - I mean (5.00 / 1) (#138)
by Shubin on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 04:40:13 AM EST

I mean not every recipe, but the whole set. Programmer in every country should be able to find something for him. I do not know about tofu in Bulgria, but here, in Russia, it is available, however I have no idea what to do with it. It tastes terrible for me.
Among "programmer's food" I cook sushi, squid (sp?), prawns, meat etc.

Point taken. (5.00 / 1) (#139)
by squidinkcalligraphy on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 05:49:00 AM EST

The only problem I can envisage is that programmers have wide and varying tastes. Just imagine the flame-war...
An identity card is better that no identity at all
Story on k5 (5.00 / 1) (#141)
by Platy on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 08:12:20 AM EST

Code Fuel on k5 itself

Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, I.
you know... (5.00 / 1) (#158)
by Work on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 12:09:28 PM EST

this would be a fine way of raising money for k5. Churches and schools use this tactic all the time as a fundraiser. In fact, theres companies out there who are dedicated to the whole organization-makes-cookbook idea.

Rusty could start a story and submitters could add recipes in the comments, then contact one of those publishers who specializes in cookbooks, have the book printed and then sell them.

flapjack? (3.00 / 1) (#140)
by codemonkey_uk on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 07:44:21 AM EST

What the fuck have pancakes got to do with Flapjacks?
Thad
seems to depend on who you ask (4.00 / 1) (#143)
by gr00vey on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 08:57:40 AM EST

http://www.quakeroatmeal.com/kitchen/contest01/images/flapjacks.jpg http://www.hwatson.force9.co.uk/images/baking/flapjacks.jpg http://www.greengold.com.au/galston/flapjacks_1.JPG

Those are flapjacks? (4.50 / 2) (#144)
by porkchop_d_clown on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 09:05:43 AM EST

They look like oatmeal cookie bars to me!

Trust the English to mangle the American language.

Whoa. Wait. Put down that banger. Ow! Ow! Ow!

I'm confused. (3.63 / 11) (#150)
by kitten on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 10:31:45 AM EST

The title of your article, "How to cook a pecan pancake," uses the singular "a".

Then you state,

However, do you know how to actually make a pecan pancake?

..again using "a", referencing a single pancake.

Yet your recipe, cut-and-pasted from here, clearly states that it is not one, but sixteen pancakes that will be produced.

What the hell am I supposed to do with sixteen pancakes? What if I only wanted one? Your title and intro are misleading - I clicked in the hopes that I would be able to make "a" pancake, yet now I've got fifteen more that I dno't know what to do with.

I know nothing about pancakes or their preparation in general, which is why I read your article, intending to use it as my sole source of information regarding this topic, so I'm not sure if "hacking" the recipe with fractions will work. For anything I know to the contrary, pancakes must be produced in multiples of four or something like that.

Curse you and your lack of precision. A plague upon your house for one thousand generations.
mirrorshades radio - darkwave, synthpop, industrial, futurepop.
Wow (4.00 / 3) (#153)
by Betcour on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 11:27:33 AM EST

You remind me of our customers...

Does the phrase (4.33 / 3) (#154)
by porkchop_d_clown on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 11:36:03 AM EST

"Give it a rest" ever cross your mind?

please (3.00 / 1) (#162)
by Rahaan on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 01:00:36 PM EST

Stop feeding the trolls.  Even if the pecan pancakes are really yummy.

Can't we all just get along? (4.00 / 3) (#164)
by porkchop_d_clown on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 01:22:04 PM EST

I'm a troll. He's a 13 year old having a temper tantrum.

Wrong. (2.50 / 6) (#166)
by kitten on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 01:24:27 PM EST

I'm a troll. He's a 13 year old having a temper tantrum.

Wrong. You're a bloody idiot, and all I was doing is asking for some clarification and requestion more precision. I don't know whether this recipe makes one pancake, or sixteen pancakes, or what, because of the confusing and contradictory information.
mirrorshades radio - darkwave, synthpop, industrial, futurepop.
Shhhh. (4.00 / 1) (#167)
by UncannyVortex on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 01:31:39 PM EST

> I'm a troll.

Advanced trolls never use the bald phrase "I'm a troll". It's considered tacky in troll circles, as it tends to dispel one's mystique.

The above rule of thumb is something I heard from a troll friend of mine who knows the troll scene really well. He even attended TrollCon '01, but wasn't able to make it this year. Did anyone here attend TC02? I heard it kicked ass.

-- Uncanny Vortex

Actually, no. (none / 0) (#170)
by it certainly is on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 02:41:00 PM EST

Admitting to being a troller is, while unsubtle, still part of the "clue hiding" aspect of the standard trolling technique. However, it only works in discussions so inane, that your respondants are too blind to notice even the most obvious hints, e.g. "YHBT", "YHL", etc.

It's all a matter of taste, really. I would rate Egg Troll above Reggie Gibbons any day. Mind you, I'd rate Biil Palmjob above Gibbons, so perhaps that's not saying much.

kur0shin.org -- it certainly is

Godwin's law [...] is impossible to violate except with an infinitely long thread that doesn't mention nazis.

Trolling troll trolled? (5.00 / 1) (#172)
by UncannyVortex on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 03:19:13 PM EST

I would agree with you, however I must point out that troll troll never trolls without first trolling trolled trolls. When trollers become trolled, lame trolled trolls troll other trolls, leading to mass panic. Troll troll troll troll troll; trolled troll troll troll troll trolling troll. Cluebies troll trolling troll troll troll, but Troll Gibbons trolled trolls in trolling. Troll troll troll trolltroll troll trolltrolltroll trolltroll troll troll troll.

Oh, one more thing too: crapfloods. (etc.)

How many trolls (none / 0) (#173)
by porkchop_d_clown on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 03:26:16 PM EST

would a true troll troll, if a true troll could troll trolls?

This is what happens (none / 0) (#174)
by porkchop_d_clown on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 03:26:51 PM EST

when you let people verb their nouns.

Not really (none / 0) (#180)
by fluffy grue on Fri Sep 20, 2002 at 03:35:23 AM EST

'troll' the verb (from fishing) is separate from 'troll' the noun (from Scandinavian mythology). If anything, 'troll' the noun (used in Internet parlance) is a nounification of the verb (from fishing), which can refer to either one who trolls, or the product of one who trolls.

English is a connotative language.
"Is a sentence fragment" is a sentence fragment.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

oh come on (none / 0) (#176)
by adequate nathan on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 06:55:45 PM EST

Gibbons is the king.

Nathan
"For me -- ugghhh, arrgghh."
-Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chrétien, in Frank magazine, Jan. 20th 2003

Join the petition: Rusty! Make dumped stories & discussion public!

Stop trolling. (none / 0) (#181)
by it certainly is on Fri Sep 20, 2002 at 03:39:08 AM EST

Have you ever seen USENET?
  1. Blogs suck. 3000 responses is a drop in the ocean.Good USENET trolls are measured in months.
  2. USENET respondants are usually adults, unlike Gibbons' intentional target.
Sure, Gibbons is King Troll of the Web Forums, but who the hell would want such a title?

kur0shin.org -- it certainly is

Pssh! (5.00 / 1) (#182)
by adequate nathan on Fri Sep 20, 2002 at 06:42:35 AM EST

Usenet is for amateurs. The vast majority of Usenet users are computer professionals or nerds of some other sort. As such, they suffer from seriously bad cases of nerd "socialization," and high rates of Autistic Geek Syndrome. Trolling a bunch of nuance-impaired cube jockeys is hardly an achievement.

Weblogs appeal to a much broader cross-section. It seems to me that weblogs and message boards are analogous to the WWW in general, in that they are technologies that are designed to appeal to the wider community, and actually succeed in doing it. While I won't deny that Mr Gibbons's "Hacker" article was calculated to ruffle the feathers of those web nerds who fancied themselves computer pros, the quality of the responses showed quite clearly that for them, this was a matter of cultural identification rather than actual mastery of technology.

Mr Gibbons didn't just troll a bunch of socially-oblivious, humour-insensitive g**ks. He trolled AOL. He trolled democracy. He trolled America and the world. He is a true hero of trolling.

Nathan
"For me -- ugghhh, arrgghh."
-Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chrétien, in Frank magazine, Jan. 20th 2003

Join the petition: Rusty! Make dumped stories & discussion public!

You are an intelligent man, (none / 0) (#186)
by it certainly is on Fri Sep 20, 2002 at 03:01:53 PM EST

an intellectual amongst intellectuals. A cultured, learned man. So I shall assume you are baselessly slighting USENET to incite my wrath, rather than through any ignorance of USENET on your part.

Forget Tim Berners Lee, USENET is the father of the World Wide Web. Everything that is done today on the WWW used to be done on USENET. USENET is the home of discussion and the home of trolling, both of which have only recently been emulated in a lacklustre manner by WWW discussion boards. While Scoop may be "state of the art", it is nowhere near as good as newsreaders at sorting, filtering, tagging and threading discussion.

Personally, I view web boards to have a 10th of the quality of USENET and mailing-lists, and Instant Messaging has a 10th of the quality of web boards. But nowadays, the only people left on USENET are people over 25, and kids who have just discovered that the alt.binaries heirarchy is a far better distribution mechanism for porn and warez than p2p clients or free web hosting.
But don't take my word for it -- ask Dan Gunn. His "Tolkien, Star Wars and Jesus Christ" troll only got a few bites on Adequacy, yet got hundreds of responses on USENET.

Simple enough. I can do that in one line:

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy, aol.newsgroups.help, talk.politics, alt.nuke-the-usa

Propz 2 tha Gibbz for his trolling and all that, but he's outclassed by the old-skool USENET trolls.

kur0shin.org -- it certainly is

dear sir (none / 0) (#187)
by adequate nathan on Fri Sep 20, 2002 at 03:09:00 PM EST

You are agreeing with my point that Usenet is full of compulsive biters.

Gibbons is the King of Trolls because he got thousands of bites from a much more diverse, fragmented, and savvy audience than Usenet has ever been able to claim.

Nathan
"For me -- ugghhh, arrgghh."
-Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chrétien, in Frank magazine, Jan. 20th 2003

Join the petition: Rusty! Make dumped stories & discussion public!

Not a chance (5.00 / 1) (#188)
by it certainly is on Fri Sep 20, 2002 at 03:17:50 PM EST

the biters were all geeks. Other than the geeks and trolls, comments were of the "ha ha! look at those gullible prats" type. The grannies who share knitting patterns over e-mail were not biting -- perhaps they were all repairing their partition tables after their LZ grandsons installed Linux.
What did help the diversity (and the comment count) was the fact that the article became a meme. Now, ask any ad agency - intentionally creating a meme usually falls on its face, and I doubt Gibbons was aiming for that. Still, it's nice to get your troll on Tech TV and into the mailboxes of office workers worldwide.

kur0shin.org -- it certainly is

Let me repeat: (3.00 / 2) (#171)
by Rahaan on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 03:16:41 PM EST

Please do not feed the trolls.

Have a nice day.

GRAMMER NAZI! [nt] (2.50 / 2) (#157)
by UncannyVortex on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 11:49:03 AM EST

[there is no text here for you to read]

Please (2.00 / 3) (#161)
by Rahaan on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 12:59:41 PM EST

Stop feeding the trolls.

Thank you.

Huh.... (none / 0) (#175)
by Wing Envy on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 03:40:10 PM EST

"Yet your recipe, cut-and-pasted"

I'm surprised nobody noticed that sooner. I continuously read through all of the comments and found not a single one that contained an intelligent argument for voting against the article. Too bad this wasn't brought up sooner. I certainly would've voted differently knowing that it was little more than an MLP.

---Each person's circumstance is different, and so envying someone else's life and accomplishments and relationships is like envying the birds' wings.[ Parent ]

illegal recipe hacking (2.25 / 4) (#177)
by adequate nathan on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 06:56:36 PM EST

Don't violate the DMCA unless you want to have a huge goon install his Lenis in your ass.

Nathan
"For me -- ugghhh, arrgghh."
-Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chrétien, in Frank magazine, Jan. 20th 2003

Join the petition: Rusty! Make dumped stories & discussion public!

How to cook Instant Noodles. (none / 0) (#178)
by faustus on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 07:57:33 PM EST

Some may be wondering how to take one of those confusing instant noodle packages and turn it into a nice hearty dinner.

Instant Noodles Directions
Buy any type of instant noodle, it doesn't really matter. The Saporo Inchiban instant noodes are a common brand name, along with Mr Noodles and a plethora of generic offerings.
Put a pot water on the stove until it is boiling. Decide how nutritious you want this meal to be. If you want no nutrition skip the following two steps.

• Put peas and corn in the water right away, they will be cooked by the time the water boils.
  • Put in some chopped up hotdog wieners in the water as well.
  • Once the water is boiling rapidly, open the instant noodle package and put the block of dried noodles into the water.
  • Once the noodles are nice and cooked, get a large bowl and dump all the contents into it, making sure to fill the rest of the bowl up with enough water.
  • Add the flavoring package to the bowl of soup and stir. (Note: the on package instructions say to add the flavouring into the pot. This is the fools way.)
  • If so inclined add some pre-cooked chicken or beef, or if you are a PETA wingnut put in your precious TOFU.

• what a sting (2.60 / 5) (#179)
    by adequate nathan on Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 11:09:36 PM EST

I was just zeroed in a comment to a story the entirety of which is a giant in-joke.

Nathan
    "For me -- ugghhh, arrgghh."
    -Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chrétien, in Frank magazine, Jan. 20th 2003

Join the petition: Rusty! Make dumped stories & discussion public!

what a piece of crap story (2.14 / 7) (#183)
    by farl on Fri Sep 20, 2002 at 10:01:11 AM EST

this is a diary. If i wanted to learn how to make pancakes, I would look it up online at a recipe website.

The fact that this drivel (and its not even your own drivel, you had to steal it from somewhere/one else) made it to the front page makes it even sadder.

Farl
    k5@sketchwork.com
    www.sketchwork.com
    you really have that much time to read the interne (none / 0) (#193)
    by Wah on Sun Dec 29, 2002 at 02:43:00 AM EST