Hugo Awards results announced

By aphrael in Culture
Tue Sep 03, 2002 at 06:38:54 PM EST
Tags: etc (all tags)
/etc

The 2002 Hugo Awards, given by the voting membership of the World Science Fiction Convention, were announced Sunday night at the San Jose Civic Auditorium in San Jose, California.

The Hugo Awards have been given to outstanding works of science fiction and fantasy by the voting membership of the World Science Fiction Convention every year since 1953. This year's winners are as follows:

• Best Novel:American Gods, Neil Gaiman.
  • Best Novella:Fast Times at Fairmont High, by Vernor Vinge (in The Collected Stories of Vernor Vinge).
  • Best Novelette: "Hell Is the Absence of God" by Ted Chiang (Starlight 3, Tor)
  • Best Short Story: "The Dog Said Bow-Wow" by Michael Swanwick (Asimov's 10-11/01)
  • Best Related Book:The Art of Chesley Bonestell, by Ron Miller and Frederick C. Durant III, with Melvin H. Schuetz (published by Paper Tiger).
  • Best Dramatic Presentation:The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, produced by New Line Cinema/The Saul Zaentz Company/WingNut Films.
  • Best Professional Editor:Ellen Datlow (of SciFiction).
  • Best Pro Artist: Michael Whelan
  • Best SemiProzine: Locus, edited by Charles N. Brown.
  • Best Fanzine: Ansible, edited by Dave Langford
  • Best Fan Writer: Dave Langrod
  • Best Fan Artist: Teddy Harvia
  • Best Website: Locus Online
  • John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer of 2000 or 2001: Jo Walton

Final vote breakdowns are available here. Eligibility rules and category descriptions are available here.

Best science fiction novel of 2002
o American Gods 31%
o Perdido Street Station 25%
o The Chronoliths 18%
o Passage 0%
o The Curse of Chalion 12%
o Cosmonaut Keep 12%

o World Science Fiction Convention
o here
o here [2]
o Also by aphrael

Hugo Awards results announced | 32 comments (26 topical, 6 editorial, 0 hidden)
Novel? Novella? (4.00 / 2) (#6)
by Echo5ive on Tue Sep 03, 2002 at 05:37:54 PM EST

What's the difference?

To make matters confusing, in Swedish a "novell" is a "short story."

Frozen Skies: mental masturbation.

...and here's the answer. (5.00 / 1) (#7)
by Echo5ive on Tue Sep 03, 2002 at 05:44:51 PM EST

Of course, I should have asked dictionary.com before posting...

A novel is "a fictional prose narrative of considerable length, typically having a plot that is unfolded by the actions, speech, and thoughts of the characters."

A novella is "a short prose tale often characterized by moral teaching or satire."

In other words, a novella would be called a "novell" in Swedish, wich is something I very often mix up with the English word "novel"...

Frozen Skies: mental masturbation.

From the link (5.00 / 1) (#8)
by aphrael on Tue Sep 03, 2002 at 05:45:23 PM EST

Best Novel: Awarded for a science fiction or fantasy story of forty thousand (40,000) words or more.

Best Novella: Awarded for a science fiction or fantasy story of between seventeen thousand five hundred (17,500) and forty thousand (40,000) words.

Best Novelette: Awarded for a science fiction or fantasy story of between seven thousand five hundred (7,500) and seventeen thousand five hundred (17,500) words.

Best Short Story: Awarded for science fiction or fantasy story of less than seven thousand five hundred (7,500) words.

you forgot a few: (none / 0) (#30)
by Shren on Thu Sep 05, 2002 at 09:41:54 AM EST

Best Hot Dog: Awarded for a science fiction or fantasy story made of pork byproducts between four (4) and ten (10) inches in length.

And to make it even more confusing... (none / 0) (#27)
by aralin on Wed Sep 04, 2002 at 04:18:23 PM EST

"Short story" in Czech is Novela :))

I guess I am never going to grasp this...

Fantasy (4.00 / 2) (#10)
by ucblockhead on Tue Sep 03, 2002 at 07:48:08 PM EST

I'm quite pleased that people are finally writing fantasy novels worthy of the award. Hopefully the dominance of Tolkein rippoffs is finally waning.
-----------------------
This is k5. We're all tools - duxup
Too much fantasy (none / 0) (#23)
by Rand Race on Wed Sep 04, 2002 at 02:25:54 PM EST

While I agree with you (esp. re: American Gods), I also note with some astonishment that the dramatic presentation category has zero science fiction in it. Could they not at least toss a bone to sci-fi by nominating one show? Farscape had some fine episodes last year. I'm no Enterprise fan, but I would have been mollified by its appearance. Even something like Smallville...

"Question with boldness even the existence of God; because if there be one, He must approve the homage of Reason rather than that of blindfolded Fear." - Thomas Jefferson

Neil Gaiman (3.00 / 1) (#11)
by Tatarigami on Tue Sep 03, 2002 at 08:26:03 PM EST

Haven't had a chance to read American Gods yet, but based on my small collection of his other works, I'd be surprised if the book deserved anything less than a Hugo.

Neil Gaiman has a way of reaching into my mind, pulling out the idle thoughts and half-remembered dreams, and putting them down on paper to re-acquaint me with them. It's a good thing I'm not paranoid, or I'd suspect him of reading my mind. And that's just silly -- right? I mean he can't read my mind, can he? No-one can read minds. It doesn't make sense. He couldn't possibly. No, I don't believe it. I don't.

American Gods is a love it or hate it book (none / 0) (#31)
by Shren on Thu Sep 05, 2002 at 09:44:34 AM EST

Half of the people I know of think it's great. I finished it in two sittings. I know at least a few people who can't get into it at all. I think structurally there are some problems, and these problems would have bothered me more if I read slower.

Gaiman should get an award for "The Sandman&q (4.00 / 2) (#12)
by khym on Tue Sep 03, 2002 at 09:17:10 PM EST

"American Gods" didn't impress me that much, but boy is "The Sandman" something else! They should create a new category just to give him an award for that.

Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
I believe he has (4.00 / 1) (#16)
by chigaze on Tue Sep 03, 2002 at 11:03:22 PM EST

I think he got the World Fantasy Award for his telling of a "Midsummer's Night Dream" in the Sandman. But I think also that some of the powers that be then changed the rule so that a comic book could not win again.

I'm going from memory here, does anybody else have any background on it?

-- Stop Global Whining
You're quite correct. (4.00 / 1) (#20)
by rodgerd on Wed Sep 04, 2002 at 01:53:55 AM EST

Harlan Ellison wrote about it at some length and heaped scorn on said powers that be in the introduction to one of the collections.

do you remember which collection? (none / 0) (#29)
by Shren on Thu Sep 05, 2002 at 09:39:02 AM EST

just curious.

Season of Mists, Volume 4 [n/t] (none / 0) (#32)
by khym on Thu Sep 05, 2002 at 11:31:08 PM EST

A Midsummer Night's Award (4.00 / 2) (#17)
by Number Ten Ox on Tue Sep 03, 2002 at 11:06:16 PM EST

He did win the World Fantasy Award 1991 for
"A Midsummer Night's Dream" Sandman story.

Apparently the organisers changed the rules
afterward to prevent any future comic books
from being entered.

Ox

Fast Times At Fairmont High (4.00 / 1) (#13)
by TheOnlyCoolTim on Tue Sep 03, 2002 at 09:51:30 PM EST

I can recommend it as a nice tale of the world approaching the Singularity.

Tim
"We are trapped in the belly of this horrible machine, and the machine is bleeding to death."

corrections to above (4.66 / 3) (#14)
by mercenary on Tue Sep 03, 2002 at 10:29:49 PM EST

I was surprised to read this article, because one of the awards is wrong and one is missing:

• Best Novelette: "Hell Is the Absence of God" by Ted Chiang (Starlight 3, Tor)
Several of the nominees (and some winners, but not "Hell") are collected in Gardner Dozois' annual "Best SF" anthology.

I have read "Bow-Wow", and I loved it.

Hell anthology (none / 0) (#15)
by mercenary on Tue Sep 03, 2002 at 10:37:08 PM EST

Thank you Amazon.. from the "related books" link, here's a Ted Chiang anthology that includes "Hell is the Absence of God."

The Chiang anthology also includes "Story of Your Life", which is a very moving story that's on my all-time best list. (It's also in one of the past Dozois anthologies.) Recommended.

oops. (none / 0) (#25)
by aphrael on Wed Sep 04, 2002 at 03:09:51 PM EST

this is what i get for trying to transcribe in the morning before coffee. thanks for the notice; i've had peter fix it for me. :)

as much as I ADORE neil (none / 0) (#18)
by blisspix on Wed Sep 04, 2002 at 12:33:30 AM EST

American Gods could have done with a less-stephen King like intro, and 100 pages less.

Apart from that, it's wonderful stuff.

His win was not really predicted given the other nominees this year, so good on him.

I interviewed Neil last year, he's a great guy to chat to, unlike so many other writers in the genre.

Now if only Kim Wilkins could start winning major awards, because she is fantastic and deserves to break America. She's super-nice to chat to as well. :)

Much though I love American Gods... (none / 0) (#19)
by rodgerd on Wed Sep 04, 2002 at 01:51:46 AM EST

...it has less relationship to sci-fi than Aliens. It's a very good fantasy novel.

The Collected Works of Neil Gaiman (none / 0) (#21)
by Skyshadow on Wed Sep 04, 2002 at 02:14:45 AM EST

I've always felt that Gaiman was really in this element when he was doing graphic novels or short stories -- I never really thought his full-length books were as good (they're good, just not as good).

American Gods, like Neverwhere and Good Omens (which he did with Terry Pratchett), seems like a great short story which got unnaturally teased out into a full-sized book. Their core is very strong and imaginative, but the execution (especially later in the book) doesn't really live up to the standards set early on. A lot of really great writers (or at least, my favorite writers) of this generation seem to have this problem -- Chuck Palahnuik, for example.

I think this is why Gaiman succeeds in short stories and graphic novels -- the length expectations in these formats is flattering to how he creates.

USian Gods (none / 0) (#22)
by rusty on Wed Sep 04, 2002 at 09:08:21 AM EST

I really liked Neverwhere, so I had great hopes for American Gods. But I thought it just fell kind of flat. I'm a little surprised to see it named best novel. I had the same take on it as you (though I disagree about about Neverwhere and Good Omens) -- it was a good idea that didn't have enough steam to make it all the way through a novel. I felt like AG just kind of fell apart around the middle and lost all focus and narrative drive.

____
Not the real rusty
That was a common problem this year. (none / 0) (#24)
by aphrael on Wed Sep 04, 2002 at 02:35:58 PM EST

Four of the five nominees that I read suffered from some variety of it. Perdido Street Station was a brilliant concept, and China Mieville did a great job of trying to pull it off, but failed in the end; i'm expecting the first book of his which succeeds (and hearsay at ConJose said his next book is better) to win. The Chronoliths was a neat concept, but he didn't do nearly as much with it as he could, and the book itself had a light feeling, sort of like the literary equivalent of a midnight snack. (Maybe that's a function of reading speed, though). Passage was interesting and well-written, but the denouement was disappointing; for me the ending wasn't sufficiently emotionally powerful to carry the book the way it was supposed to.

Passage (none / 0) (#28)
by rusty on Wed Sep 04, 2002 at 06:32:42 PM EST

Passage was the only one of those that I've also read, and yeah, a huge letdown for me too, especially being a gigantic Connie Willis fan (Doomsday Book and To Say Nothing of the Dog being two of my most favoritest books ever).

____
Not the real rusty
Short Stories (none / 0) (#26)
by ucblockhead on Wed Sep 04, 2002 at 03:13:51 PM EST

It's a pity that the short story is so denigrated in this society. Gaimon's short story collection is one of the best I've ever read. It really is his element. Unfortunately, short stories just do not pay, which means authors are forced to write novels, whether they are good at them or not.
-----------------------
This is k5. We're all tools - duxup
Hugo Awards results announced | 32 comments (26 topical, 6 editorial, 0 hidden)