Peppadews, in brief

By Josh A in Culture
Wed Jan 29, 2003 at 08:49:46 AM EST
Tags: Food (all tags)
Food

I recently encountered bright red peppadews in the grocery store and took some home to find that they are delicious. A sweet-hot pickled pepper with a name that loosely means "fresh bite", I've already found uses for them on sandwiches, in scrambled eggs, and for snacking on their own.

Peppadews hail from South Africa and are processed with a patented method involving deseeding and bottling in sweet brine. According the one of the articles I read, in 1999 it was the newest commercial fruit since the kiwi. They seem fairly versatile and nutritious.

The best thing about them, in my opinion, is the sweet flavor encountered at the beginning; only at the end do you start to feel the heat, leaving you with a warm finish. I've only had the mild version, and it was very mild indeed. If you fear spicy food, fear not the tasty  mild peppadew.

I like them most on sandwiches, all kinds. A search revealed recipes including peppadews in pasta, soup, and an hors d'oeuvres dip. Has anyone else had these? What did you do with them? Anyone with peppadew recipes or experiences, please post!

If they're not available locally in your area, you can order them at the Gourmet Food Mall's Peppadew Place.

o peppadews
o grocery store
o one of the articles
o nutritious
o search
o pasta
o soup
o dip
o available locally
o Peppadew Place
o Also by Josh A

Peppadews, in brief | 60 comments (48 topical, 12 editorial, 0 hidden)
And now a message from the Apple Growers Institute (4.63 / 19) (#1)
by egg troll on Mon Jan 27, 2003 at 08:53:59 PM EST

"Fuck pears!"

He's a bondage fan, a gastronome, a sensualist
Unparalleled for sinister lasciviousness.

Can't (none / 0) (#10)
by godix on Mon Jan 27, 2003 at 11:15:59 PM EST

they don't have a hole large enough.

Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease. It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.

Then you'll be in the market (none / 0) (#39)
by MrLarch on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 05:20:50 PM EST

for the Pear Loveholetm Enhancement® ImplementAYB.

Pear Lovehole (none / 0) (#40)
by godix on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 06:41:38 PM EST

Is that the one that comes with the optional 'Banana size' attachment?

Peers? (n/t) (none / 0) (#23)
by vile on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 02:32:07 AM EST

oh.. pears...

~
The money is in the treatment, not the cure.
-1 (3.00 / 6) (#2)
by yicky yacky on Mon Jan 27, 2003 at 09:04:24 PM EST

Sorry.

But the way it's written reads far too much like an advert...

Yicky Yacky
***********
"You f*cking newbie. Shut up and sit in the corner!" - JCB
It is (5.00 / 2) (#15)
by Josh A on Mon Jan 27, 2003 at 11:52:21 PM EST

I confess. Having been infected by the peppadew meme, I now function to increase its mindshare among the masses. The online store linked in the story is but another pawn in its evil plot.

Good thing k5 has you to see through these machinations.

Thank God for Canada, if only because they annoy the Republicans so much. – Blarney

Sweet brine? (2.00 / 1) (#3)
by twistedfirestarter on Mon Jan 27, 2003 at 09:06:04 PM EST

brine = salty water. Sweet brine sounds disgusting

What a wonderful article (4.33 / 6) (#4)
by bc on Mon Jan 27, 2003 at 09:17:50 PM EST

Are you from Wisconsin?

I fancy only someone from that fine state could post an article that is at once informative, interesting, useful, and entirely devoid of the cynicism that plagues the rest of the world. Bravo!

♥, bc.

Odd (4.00 / 1) (#6)
by qpt on Mon Jan 27, 2003 at 10:01:43 PM EST

How did a subject of the Queen such as yourself manage to sail right over all that irony?

Time to tune the ol' receptors, maybe.

Domine Deus, creator coeli et terrae respice humilitatem nostram.

Your hairtrigger has been set off by a draft (5.00 / 1) (#7)
by bc on Mon Jan 27, 2003 at 10:18:58 PM EST

There was no irony there. The author wrote it at face value, innocently, open hearted and open minded. It was refreshing, like a waterfall, a blast of arctic air, or a toothpaste commercial. Especially on this soured site with its legions of sexual animals and corrupted, lascivious cynics (I mean you, me0w).

This article was as fresh, innocent and succulent as the peppadews it depicts.

It seems to me that you are straining to see without the evil that lies within!

♥, bc.

Of course (4.00 / 1) (#8)
by qpt on Mon Jan 27, 2003 at 10:28:57 PM EST

It cannot have escaped you that this article is little more than a transparent attempt to funnel cash into the coffers of www.gourmetfoodmall.com, can it have?

There is no doubt it sounds candid. All the better to swindle the next dupe, eh, chump?

Domine Deus, creator coeli et terrae respice humilitatem nostram.

That's such a load of nonsense (5.00 / 3) (#9)
by bc on Mon Jan 27, 2003 at 10:35:54 PM EST

I demand you provide proof, or shut up.

The article is a genuine tale of a man who was lacking something in his life, who was directionless, purposeless. But Peppadews™ gave him a vision and direction, they turned his life around!

bc is an empployee of gourmetfoodmall.com incorporated

♥, bc.

You are mistaken. (5.00 / 1) (#51)
by me0w on Wed Jan 29, 2003 at 06:48:56 PM EST

I am none of these things. You must have me confused with someone else.

Better luck next time.

In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves. - Buddha

Um (none / 0) (#14)
by Josh A on Mon Jan 27, 2003 at 11:49:03 PM EST

I'm actually fairly bad at irony. For example, I have trouble distinguishing verbal irony from sarcasm. I'm much better at the latter.

bc is correct, my article was written at face value. Good food is one of the things that life still has up on suicide.

Indeed? (5.00 / 1) (#28)
by kaemaril on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 07:23:10 AM EST

Good food is one of the things that life still has up on suicide

Practically everything is one of the things that life still has up on suicide ;)

Why, yes, I am being sarcastic. Why do you ask?

Thanks :) A: California... n\t (none / 0) (#18)
by Josh A on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 12:23:50 AM EST

i love it. (4.40 / 5) (#19)
by Work on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 12:54:01 AM EST

christ, look at all these paranoid anti-ad freaks who think anyone who is actually praising a product instead of bitching about it must OBVIOUSLY be a shill.

Hi. My name is Craig. I like waffles - I'M A WAFFLE SHILL!

I also enjoy automobiles and Beer. I'M A HONDA AND GUINESS SHILL - HANG ME NOW!

Asshats. Get a life already. Not everyone has such a dismal life they need to complain about everything 24/7.

On the other hand (none / 0) (#20)
by Josh A on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 01:12:08 AM EST

Well first, I laud your observation. Yes, some of the comments have crossed the line separating silliness and lunacy.

But I do have to say, it's too bad the makers of peppadews have crossed that same line with their intellectual property b.s... I mean, really, all those rules (which I unfortunately failed to follow) about presenting "the peppadew brand" properly? And the special patented method used to process them? I'm surprised they're not more expensive than they are.

I predict that if peppadews gain widespread appeal (and why not, they're delicious:) that the trademark Peppadew brand will go the way of aspirin, kleenex, and xerox. Nobody's going to say "piquante peppers" with a descriptor like peppadew around :P

Hmm (5.00 / 1) (#24)
by vile on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 02:37:17 AM EST

Peppa.. slang for Pepper.. Dew.. like.. Mountain Dew.. man I gotta try these things..

~
The money is in the treatment, not the cure.
If you say... (none / 0) (#29)
by Tezcatlipoca on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 09:22:59 AM EST

... I enjoy waffles that is fine.

If you proceed to link to a particular waffles seller website then you are uncomfortably close to spamming and should not surprise you if you are classed as an spammer.

"Stay a while, I'm distraught but juiced on your nearness."- johnny

oh please. (5.00 / 2) (#31)
by Work on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 11:05:50 AM EST

if i am pleased with the service that has sold me the waffles, or said waffles are a particularly rare kind unlikely to be found in my local grocer's, then I will provide a link to it for the convienence of everyone who may want to try the waffles.

There would be people bitching about there not being a link and making them go look for it themselves. That is not spamming.

jeez (none / 0) (#37)
by tps12 on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 05:10:48 PM EST

How many times has somebody linked to Amazon in a book review? It always generates a little grumbling, but nobody says "buy an ad." From what I gather, there is only one company importing this product, and it's not all that common to find at grocery stores (the author is Californian, so likely has aisles and aisles of products I can't get in Pennsyvania, damme him). I'm thankful for the link, and may use it if I can't find this stuff locally.

east vs west coast, US style (5.00 / 1) (#43)
by Josh A on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 07:36:06 PM EST

Actually, if the distribution page on the peppadew site is to be believed, you'll have a much easier time finding them in PA than CA. I happen to be living in Rochester, NY at the moment, about 10 minutes from a Wegman's. You'll find them at the Mediterranean bar... even though the fruit in question is South African. Go figure.

Although, I find it difficult to believe that one couldn't obtain peppadews locally somewhere in San Francisco or Los Angeles.

Wegman's?!? (4.00 / 1) (#44)
by tps12 on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 08:20:19 PM EST

Buy an ad!!! ;)

Not just any particular site (none / 0) (#42)
by Josh A on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 07:34:11 PM EST

The only reason I linked to gourmet food mall is because the peppadew site mentions them on their Where to Buy page, but fails to provide the link itself... which was not the easiest thing to find, considering gourmet food mall didn't make it easy either.

No good deed goes unpunished :)

Pistachios (none / 0) (#25)
by vile on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 02:50:02 AM EST

Are they anything like Pistachios? I am so addicted to these things that it's not even funny. Today, I thought I would try Jello w/ Pistachios... Strawberry Kiwi Pistachio taste.. actually, suprisingly not bad.. I wonder what Jello w/ Peppadews would be like!?!

~
The money is in the treatment, not the cure.
Pistachios (none / 0) (#57)
by metalfan on Fri Jan 31, 2003 at 09:35:33 PM EST

Am I missing something here? I've always been under the impression that pistachios were nuts.

Interesting. (5.00 / 3) (#27)
by Slothrop on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 06:04:10 AM EST

but -1 to the peppadew.com page, because they use the horrible word 'mouthfeel' on their front page.  We have a perfectly good word for this in english.  Texture.  Gah, I hate it when people use mouthfeel in any context.  Weirds me out completely.  Why is its usage becoming more common?
__________________________
Provide, provide!
I've never heard the word in my life before this (5.00 / 4) (#38)
by MrLarch on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 05:14:54 PM EST

but it has a doubleplus good ring to it.

Ring? I know not this ring you speak of. (5.00 / 4) (#49)
by Happy Monkey on Wed Jan 29, 2003 at 02:03:21 PM EST

The word you were looking for is "earfeel".
___
Length 17, Width 3
Because people are illiterate. (5.00 / 1) (#41)
by Ed The Sock on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 07:30:41 PM EST

Why use a perfectly good English words that already exist when you can just make up your own.

Too True (none / 0) (#47)
by Pax Unix on Wed Jan 29, 2003 at 10:48:49 AM EST

I wonder how these misuses of vocabulary are going to impact me. :P

I don't know why you're complaining. (5.00 / 3) (#48)
by ethereal on Wed Jan 29, 2003 at 01:30:51 PM EST

It's a perfectly cromulent word.

Stand up for your right to not believe: Americans United for Separation of Church and State

w00t (none / 0) (#53)
by BUWA on Wed Jan 29, 2003 at 09:43:20 PM EST

Awesome comment. Made me laugh out loud.

It is just another useless marketing word n/t (5.00 / 1) (#45)
by TubeShoot on Wed Jan 29, 2003 at 02:22:45 AM EST

Mouthfeel (none / 0) (#50)
by SuperMoonWaffle on Wed Jan 29, 2003 at 02:14:52 PM EST

As far as I know, Mouthfeel is usually used in context of drinking a liquid. It is used a lot in describing beer. I don't know if people decided that attributing a texture to a liquid was not correct, and they needed a different term, or they needed to make up a new word to make themselves feel important. -SMW

It *is* a living language :) (none / 0) (#52)
by Josh A on Wed Jan 29, 2003 at 07:09:50 PM EST

Here you go: http://www.wordspy.com/words/mouthfeel.asp

We'll probably see it added to dictionaries sooner or later.

Doublegrok yer unsightly bogons, d00d [n/t. (none / 0) (#54)
by epepke on Wed Jan 29, 2003 at 11:24:06 PM EST

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.--Terry Pratchett

Is it just me... (none / 0) (#32)
by jt on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 11:40:02 AM EST

Or does the term "peppadew" conjure up images of Mountain Dew mixed with hot sauce?

Re: Is it just me... (none / 0) (#33)
by coderlemming on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 12:11:03 PM EST

Or perhaps, Mountain Dew mixed with Dr. Pepper.

Go be impersonally used as an organic semen collector!  (porkchop_d_clown)
Thats what I first thought (n/t) (none / 0) (#36)
by haakon on Tue Jan 28, 2003 at 03:00:32 PM EST

One thing (none / 0) (#46)
by djotto on Wed Jan 29, 2003 at 09:38:48 AM EST

These beasts don't keep too well. After a few months in the jar, they go a deeper shade of red and become soft. They're still edible of course, but just not the same. You're really looking for the bright-red ones that have a crunch to them - not much softer than a raw red pepper.

Great filled with cream cheese, or chopped small in salads. But they tend to overwhelm a lot of other flavours. Hard to know if this is the peppadew itself or the sweet/vinegar syrup they're packed in.

I'm confused (none / 0) (#55)
by epepke on Wed Jan 29, 2003 at 11:33:32 PM EST

Is this an actual unusual agricultural product, like quinoi? Or is "Peppadew" the name of the concoction? Patented process and all that.

I can get tabasco peppers apart from buying TabascoTM sauce, but is there any meaning to a Peppadew outside of the concotion?

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.--Terry Pratchett

Well, both (none / 0) (#56)
by Josh A on Thu Jan 30, 2003 at 04:21:42 AM EST

The piquante plant and its fruit are unusual... not that there aren't other peppers, but this is a specific one.

Peppadew is a brand name that refers to piquante peppers that have been processed in a certain way.

Apparently, you wouldn't want plain piquante peppers. <shrug>

Don't be so sure (none / 0) (#58)
by epepke on Sat Feb 01, 2003 at 04:06:24 AM EST

Apparently, you wouldn't want plain piquante peppers. <shrug>

Why not? They might be very good. I've eaten some of the peppers that people claim are purely ornamental, and I haven't died yet.

One of my favorite discoveries is fresh turmeric, which I've seen and used in two varieties: yellow and white. If you've only used prepared and dried turmeric, you probably think of it as a yellow food coloring that tastes like dust. However, fresh turmeric is a really incredible root vegetable. It's great diced in stir-fries.

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.--Terry Pratchett

turmeric? I've seen that, it's... (none / 0) (#59)
by subversion on Sat Feb 01, 2003 at 09:00:42 AM EST

Also entertaining on kuro5hin.

If you disagree, reply, don't moderate.
Yeah... (none / 0) (#60)
by Josh A on Mon Feb 03, 2003 at 06:08:39 AM EST

I think we've got all the fresh turmeric we can handle.

Peppadews, in brief | 60 comments (48 topical, 12 editorial, 0 hidden)