Men Without Hats - Men With Vision

By GavalinB in Culture
Fri Aug 15, 2003 at 05:47:54 PM EST
Tags: Humour (all tags)
Humour

In 1983, the United States was under the grip of a brutal dictator with a penchant for jellybeans and happy-go-lucky quips about nuclear annihilation in close proximity to live microphones. Betamax videocassette recorders were the rage. And an upstart network called MTV dared to make a go of showing music videos around-the-clock.

Yes, indeed, the fertile media in that cultural petri dish proved perfect for the adulation due a band known as Men Without Hats and their classic musical missive, The Safety Dance.

We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
'Cause your friends don't dance
and if they don't dance
Well they're, no friends of mine

The lyrics of Canadian protest singer Ivan Doroschuk are deceptively simplistic. They are, in fact, ripe with deep sociopolitical implications. They speak to intolerance in a world with high cultural borders and declining societal morals, in the era before the fall of the Berlin Wall and the collapse of the Soviet Union. Superficially, one might suspect that Doroschuk is simply trying to say that the subject of his attention need not bring fraternal companions if they prefer not to dance. But look deeper and one will find that he is, instead, actually speaking to the troubled relationship between the United States and the rest of the world, with its mad-dog dictators, pinko Communist hounds, and foppish black berets. Get in step with America, baby, Doroschuk is saying, or get left behind in the superpower slow lane.

Say, we can go where we want to
A place where they will never find
And we can act like we come
from out of this world
Leave the real one far behind
And we can dance, "dansez"

This prescient stanza demonstrates why so many music historians refer to Ivan Doroschuk as "Nostradamus in parachute pants." While on the surface it seems to deal with the freedom of mobility in a too-strict class structure, it is in truth the eerily accurate prediction of the ascent and popularization of the Internet - "a place where they will never find", indeed. A world without borders, without prejudice and without hate. A utopia where one cannot tell the freak from the frat boy. A place where one can not merely dance, but dansez. It would not be that great a leap to believe that a young Tennessee politician by the name of Al Gore might have heard these lyrics and found his inspiration for the World Wide Web, which he crafted from cathode ray tubes, egg cartons and Pop Rocks in his family's barn.

We can go when we want to
Night is young and so am I
And we can dress real neat from
our hats to our feet
And surprise them with a victory cry

In a continuing effort to expand his cultural horizons, and to encourage his listeners to do the same, Doroschuk throws aside the concepts of curfews and crazy pants. No one can hold him back from going where he wants to go, when he wants to go there - although, for some reason, no matter what neat outfit he wears, he is constantly intent on doffing a hat on his head. This inherent contradiction with the band's moniker, Men Without Hats, is no doubt a psychological exploration of man's need for safety and security in spite of an underlying nature attuned to daring and risk-taking behaviors. Some have argued that this particular lyric, in the early advent of the AIDS epidemic, was one of the first public service announcements - veiled as thin as sheepskin to avoid the censors - urging young people to practice safe sex. The reference to the victory cry, and its surprising nature, may have less to do with a sartorial triumph and more to do with really making your girlfriend cut loose with an amazing orgasm. For once.

Say, we can act if we want to
If we don't nobody will
And you can act real rude
and totally removed
And I can act like an imbecile,
and say
We can dance, we can dance
Everything's out of control
We can dance, we can dance
We're doing it from pole to pole
We can dance, we can dance
Everybody look at your hands
We can dance, we can dance
Everybody's taking the chance
Safe to dance
Oh well its safe to dance
Yes it's safe to dance

Music historians are divided when it comes to the interpretation of this passage, but most agree: The cocaine has clearly taken a pitbull-strength grip on Doroschuk's brain stem, sending him through conflicting lyrical gyrations reminiscent of Virgil guiding Dante through the circles of Hell, past horrific visages of the ill-mannered, the gluttonous, the vain, the just plain stupid. Here, we see a man confronting the army of demons that confront him, struggling to remain morally afloat in an age that encourages excess, Members Only jackets, and the inexplicable popularity of Phil Collins.

We can dance if we want to
We've got all your life and mine
As long as we abuse it,
never going to lose it
Everything will work out right

In the midst of his verbal great white shark thrashing, Doroschuk briefly seems to make peace with those demons, finding a ray of hopefulness in a sky thick with black clouds of despair and splattering raindrops of melancholy. Everything, he assures us, will work out right. We've lost John Lennon. We've lost Brian Eno. People think bands such as Night Ranger and Mister Mister consist of musical geniuses. Nancy Reagan's psychic adviser is probably selling state secrets to the Russians. But if we just dance along with everyone else, if we mind our own damned business and ignore the rest of the world, everything will work out right. To do otherwise is to invite the swirling winds of chaos, in which everything's out of control.

I say, We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
'Cause your friends don't dance,
and if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine
I say, we can dance, we can dance
Everything's out of control
Well it's safe to dance
It's a Safety Dance
Well it's a Safety Dance
Oh it's a Safety Dance
Oh it's a Safety Dance
Well it's a Safety Dance

At first glance, it is easy to dismiss the final lyrical cascade of Doroschuk's magnum opus as just a frenzied, slap-dash revisitation of previous lyrical content - the sort of thing one might expect from less scrupulous artists such as John Denver, Jimmy Buffett and that guy from Flock of Seagulls. But when one reconsiders the source, the font, of this dynamic textual whirlwind, the truth becomes manifest. Doroschuk is not merely droning on about the safety of dancing. He is speaking to a culture of fear. A culture of isolationistic paranoia. A nation that has forgotten how to embrace outsiders. A nation that has forgotten, more importantly, how to embrace itself and its passion. Like Gloria Gaynor's plucky disco heroine, we will survive. We can dance.

It's safe to dance.

Perhaps now, in our own troubled times in the infantile years of the 21st Century, this new millennium, we would be wise to heed these lyrics. Before we launch wars against concepts. Before we overthrow dictators in the name of ephemeral weapons of mass destruction. Before the Terminator becomes mayor of Carmel - or, worse, the entire state of California, we must do it, pole to pole.

Take the chance. It's safe to dance.

Men
o Without Hats 17%
o With Hats 7%
o Without Parasols 2%
o With Parasols 13%
o At Work 35%
o Raining 23%

o brutal dictator
o jellybeans
o Betamax videocassette recorders
o an upstart network called MTV
o Men Without Hats
o The Safety Dance
o Canadian protest singer Ivan Doroschuk
o the fall of the Berlin Wall
o the collapse of the Soviet Union
o parachute pants
o a young Tennessee politician by the name of Al Gore
o Pop Rocks
o the AIDS epidemic
o really making your girlfriend cut loose with an amazing orgasm
o Virgil guiding Dante through the circles of Hell
o Members Only jackets
o Phil Collins
o great white shark
o John Lennon
o Brian Eno
o Night Ranger
o Mister Mister
o Nancy Reagan's psychic adviser
o John Denver
o Jimmy Buffett
o that guy from Flock of Seagulls
o Gloria Gaynor's plucky disco heroine
o ephemeral weapons of mass destruction
o the Terminator
o Carmel
o California
o Also by GavalinB

Men Without Hats - Men With Vision | 83 comments (45 topical, 38 editorial, 0 hidden)
+1 fp, i don't understand why this means anything (3.00 / 2) (#1)
by circletimessquare on Thu Aug 14, 2003 at 05:57:48 AM EST

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

Midgets (4.50 / 8) (#2)
by Fredrick Doulton on Thu Aug 14, 2003 at 06:13:24 AM EST

Isn't that the video with the freaky little midgets? Those midgets scare the shit out of me. I wish that video had never been made.

Bush/Cheney 2004! - "Because we've still got more people to kill"

Yes... (5.00 / 1) (#4)
by GavalinB on Thu Aug 14, 2003 at 06:16:55 AM EST

But the midgets and their sociopsychological implications within the music video production process are something best left to an entirely different article.
The Future is Prologue: Join Our Sagas Today!
AAAAH!! CIRCUS MIDGETS!!! (nt) (5.00 / 1) (#12)
by Stavr0 on Thu Aug 14, 2003 at 07:48:16 AM EST

- - -
Pax Americana : Oderint Dum Metuant
And you... (none / 0) (#20)
by GavalinB on Thu Aug 14, 2003 at 10:34:16 AM EST

Can I put you down for men *with* or *without* parasols?
The Future is Prologue: Join Our Sagas Today!
Be in My Video (5.00 / 1) (#76)
by epepke on Sun Aug 17, 2003 at 03:15:03 PM EST

Be in my video
Darling, every night.
I will rent a cage for you
And mijinits dressed in white.

--Frank Zappa

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.--Terry Pratchett

long ago... (3.25 / 4) (#13)
by rmg on Thu Aug 14, 2003 at 08:44:36 AM EST

i turned my back on popular media. music. movies. news. i no longer partake of these things whose evils have been so thoroughly expounded both here and on slashdot that i hardly need mention them.

the consumption and even the mere mention of these songs, movies, and soundbites transform the individual into an ad for the nefarious products. when one listens to popular music, for example, one sings it to oneself, one alludes to the lyrics in conversation, and one writes articles analyzing it. this contributes to the sociocultural valance of the music and hence gives it context and value it does not deserve. others hear one's allusions, humming, and editorializing and feel a renewed connection to the music in question. hence the grip of the mass media monopoly tightens. such is the process of dehumanization that mass media relies upon.

it is crucial that fringe elements, like this site, take a stand. if we do not, no one will. our children will face a world of digital millenium copyright acts, search without warrent, and the intellectual property gestapo.

articles like this one, though pleasant to the eye, are the very poison our society has taught us to love. we embibe this deadly cocktail oh-so-willingly, even though we know its terrible cost. but i say no more! it is not enough to stop listening. it is not enough to stop buying or stop downloading. we must turn our backs. we must forget about these things. this annihilation is the true beginning of the war on intellectual property. we must find our own alternatives. we must make our own music. we must seize the means of production, and make them fruitful. we must sing our own songs, make our own allusions, and write articles about them.

until we do this, we have not yet begun to fight. we are only whining. my fellows! my brothers and sisters! join me!

we can bring about a new era of more than just free software, but of free music, free movies, free media. we must be masters of the content or we will always be serfs. always subject to the whims of whatever acronym decides to file suit.

_____ intellectual tiddlywinks

Sadly... (3.75 / 4) (#19)
by GavalinB on Thu Aug 14, 2003 at 10:07:21 AM EST

You also appear to have turned your back on capitalization. But I don't hold that against you. Can I put you down as supporting men *with* parasols, then?
The Future is Prologue: Join Our Sagas Today!
serfs for the ages!!!! [n/t] (3.00 / 2) (#33)
by elpollodiablo on Thu Aug 14, 2003 at 01:14:40 PM EST

------------
"While we can't be sure that they meant us any direct harm, never let it be said that I took the monkey menace too lightly." - Tycho
College? (5.00 / 2) (#14)
by lauraw on Thu Aug 14, 2003 at 08:53:06 AM EST

You, my friend, appear have taken far too many courses in the English department. Poetry analysis and comparitive literature, I bet. They can have this effect on people.

Go on, take a science course. You deserve it. If that's too scary right now, try easing into it with something like psychology or sociology. Remember, it can get better!

So, can I put you down for... (3.00 / 2) (#18)
by GavalinB on Thu Aug 14, 2003 at 10:05:57 AM EST

Men *with* parasols?
Hats (3.50 / 2) (#46)
by lauraw on Thu Aug 14, 2003 at 07:30:15 PM EST

I think I voted for men with hats. But it was about 5:00 am after a sleepless night (I hab a code), so I can't quite remember. I really wanted to vote for women without hats, but it was missing.

I wonder... (4.00 / 1) (#22)
by GavalinB on Thu Aug 14, 2003 at 10:43:26 AM EST

If there's a top secret Cornershop Cabal out to get me for all those digs I took at that feel-good article about their favorite song.

I certainly earned their paisley-colored wrath, I suppose.

But before They see this satirical article voted into oblivion, please stop by the poll and register your vote! Your input will help influence White House policy on the next target of the War on Terrorism.
The Future is Prologue: Join Our Sagas Today!
Must voting FP! (3.25 / 8) (#23)
by Zombie Pol Pot on Thu Aug 14, 2003 at 11:08:27 AM EST

Men without hats easier to get brains! So very hungry!

get along lil doggie (4.00 / 2) (#25)
by WetherMan on Thu Aug 14, 2003 at 11:40:24 AM EST

back to the diary section with ya.
fluorescent lights make me look like old hot dogs
Let me guess... (5.00 / 1) (#28)
by GavalinB on Thu Aug 14, 2003 at 12:13:45 PM EST

Men *with* Parasols.
The Future is Prologue: Join Our Sagas Today!
hell no man! (5.00 / 2) (#64)
by Zombie Jerry Garcia on Fri Aug 15, 2003 at 10:05:37 AM EST

Those cool Dr. Seuss hats keep the brains from harmful radiation, and thus provide a tasy treat.
Especially from those super cute young china white using tour chicks.

a-bop alooda boppa BRAINS! (5.00 / 1) (#74)
by Zombie Elvis Presley on Sun Aug 17, 2003 at 01:53:57 PM EST

RRRRAAAAAAAAGHHH!

Agreed [nt] (none / 0) (#81)
by Zombie Joseph Stalin on Sun Aug 24, 2003 at 07:13:15 AM EST

"BRAAAAAAAAIIIIIIINS! "
--The Terrorists
Nice (4.33 / 3) (#32)
by jayhawk88 on Thu Aug 14, 2003 at 12:58:50 PM EST

I'd be very interested to hear your take on Dark Side of the Moon as well...

Why, then, should we grant government the Orwellian capability to listen at will and in real time to our communications across the Web? -- John Ashcroft
Would you like... (4.00 / 2) (#58)
by GavalinB on Fri Aug 15, 2003 at 12:19:05 AM EST

An analysis of the entire album? I suppose I could break it into multiple segments, elaborating in great detail on each track, and just fire them all wantonly into the editing queue. Conquest by confuzzlement.

Or are you looking for just the one song, fully analyzed in loving detail? That seems the fashion at K5 these days - if it's about Cornershop.
The Future is Prologue: Join Our Sagas Today!
There was a deeper song from '83 (4.20 / 5) (#38)
by pyramid termite on Thu Aug 14, 2003 at 04:26:52 PM EST

Yeah, this is a story of a famous dog
For the dog that chases its tail will be dizzy
These are clapping dogs, rhythmic dogs
Harmonic dogs, house dogs, street dogs
Dog of the world unite

Bow-wow-yippie-yo-yippie-yeah

Like the boys
When they're out there walkin' the streets
May compete
Nothin' but the dog in ya

Why must I feel like that
Oh, why must I chase the cat

Like the boys

Why must I chase the cat
Nothin' but the dog in me

Do the dogcatcher, dogcatcher
Do the dogcatcher
Do the dogcatcher, dogcatcher
Do the dogcatcher

Do the dogcatcher, baby, do the dogcatcher
Ooh

Why must I feel like that
Why must I chase the cat
Just the dog in me
Nothin' but the dog in me

Why must I feel like that
Why must I chase the cat
The dog in me (Dog in me)
The dog is in me (Dog in me)

Do the dogcatcher, dogcatcher
Do the dogcatcher
Do you wanna do the dogcatcher
Well, baby, why don't you do it again for me

Dogcatcher, dogcatcher
Do the dogcatcher

House-trained dogs
Wild dogs
Say it again

Why must I feel like that
Why must I chase the cat

And it's got a hellaciously better beat.  People are STILL calling each other "dog", but there's no safety dancers out there.  End of story.
On the Internet, anyone can accuse you of being a dog.

Slap some faux analysis in there... (5.00 / 1) (#39)
by GavalinB on Thu Aug 14, 2003 at 04:43:32 PM EST

And you've got yourself a funny Humour/Culture submission for K5 that will be voted down because it's not about Cornershop!

So, anyway: Men At Work, or Raining? The poll must go on.
The Future is Prologue: Join Our Sagas Today!
you're wrong (5.00 / 2) (#49)
by reklaw on Thu Aug 14, 2003 at 08:58:50 PM EST

A good friend of mine is a safety dancer. Either that or he's a liar. Ginger bastard.
Fried ice cream is a reality [n/t] (5.00 / 1) (#60)
by epepke on Fri Aug 15, 2003 at 02:11:31 AM EST

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.--Terry Pratchett

You can dance if you want to... (4.00 / 2) (#43)
by frankwork on Thu Aug 14, 2003 at 06:41:53 PM EST

...you can grab your friend's behind

Frankie says... (5.00 / 1) (#44)
by GavalinB on Thu Aug 14, 2003 at 06:55:48 PM EST

R E L A X

But, until you become a famous Canadian protest singer, I'm afraid I won't be taking requests for lyrical analysis.

Still, I don't want to waste your effort. So, tell me: Parasol or no?
The Future is Prologue: Join Our Sagas Today!
Further statistical analysis (4.16 / 6) (#45)
by GavalinB on Thu Aug 14, 2003 at 07:03:11 PM EST

Given the current comparative breakdown of statistics showing K5 users either voting up, voting down or abstaining in regards to this satirical exploration of a classic one-hit wonder, I'm now prepared to associate each voting group (as they stand now) with the poll answer categories.

Voting Up: Men At Work
Voting Down: Raining Men
Abstaining: TIE: Men Without Hats/Men With Parasols

Where do you stand? Or dance, as it were?
The Future is Prologue: Join Our Sagas Today!
One hit wonder (none / 0) (#69)
by rabbit on Sat Aug 16, 2003 at 05:07:37 PM EST

They were not a one-hit-wonder. They also had a second hit, a couple of years later (though it wasn't one of super platinum hits or anything) with a song called "Pop Goes the World". Also, their cover of "Turning Japanese" is far better than the one done by Liz Phair.
-- I have desires that are not in accord with the status quo.
Glad to have an MW/OH expert on board... (none / 0) (#71)
by GavalinB on Sat Aug 16, 2003 at 06:38:35 PM EST

But if I had been interested in actual legitimate facts about the band, I would have hunted them up and used them.

To most of the world, however, they're a one-hit wonder. As in: It's a wonder they got one hit to begin with.
The Future is Prologue: Join Our Sagas Today!
No matter how you vote... (none / 0) (#61)
by GavalinB on Fri Aug 15, 2003 at 03:30:57 AM EST

Do take time to chime in with the poll. And, regardless of whether you "get" and like the article, "get" and dislike the article, or just don't "get" the article at all, thanks for giving it consideration.

A lot of K5ers have chimed in on it so far, proving the usual point that what's funny to some isn't as funny (or funny at all) to others. Such is the nature of humor.
The Future is Prologue: Join Our Sagas Today!
A request (3.50 / 2) (#65)
by ENOENT on Fri Aug 15, 2003 at 01:03:48 PM EST

A very informative article on the socio-political currents revealed by a close reading of a timeless classic of Western music.

...

Who am I kidding? Good article, anyway.

So nyah.

-1, No reference to 2000 Bush-Gore election (2.33 / 3) (#66)
by duffbeer703 on Fri Aug 15, 2003 at 01:38:48 PM EST

EOM

Intriguing... (none / 0) (#67)
by GavalinB on Fri Aug 15, 2003 at 01:47:19 PM EST

So, I'll just put you down as "Raining." Thanks!
The Future is Prologue: Join Our Sagas Today!
Very nice parody of VH1 (3.00 / 2) (#68)
by Big Sexxy Joe on Fri Aug 15, 2003 at 02:38:19 PM EST

I hate reading about the 80's and pop culture but making fun of VH1 is a good thing. So I'll go +1.

I'm like Jesus, only better.
Democracy Now! - your daily, uncensored, corporate-free grassroots news hour
Men without hats (5.00 / 1) (#70)
by the hermit on Sat Aug 16, 2003 at 05:51:04 PM EST

has to be my favorite all-time band. Even now in the 21st century (hey, isn't that one of their albums?), I prefer to listen to their old stuff than most of the other crap out there...

An - tar - ti - ca - aa!

The Great Ones Remember (5.00 / 1) (#80)
by fractal on Mon Aug 18, 2003 at 06:14:09 PM EST

This whole album is surprisingly good. A friend tried to play it for me in 1983, but I just didn't get into it. A few years later I picked the album up in a bargain bin and was blown away by how much it had improved in the interval...

"Towering mastodons of destruction - grotesque, weird horrendous, many stories high appear from the bowels of the Earth, from the black depths of outer space, from the murky deep."

Deeper meaning (none / 0) (#72)
by gjetost on Sat Aug 16, 2003 at 10:30:41 PM EST

I'd also love to hear a commentary on Barney's "I Love You, You Love Me".

...And that's called Bestiality! [n/t] (none / 0) (#75)
by epepke on Sun Aug 17, 2003 at 03:12:29 PM EST

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.--Terry Pratchett

What a stupid name for a band. (none / 0) (#73)
by MessiahWWKD on Sun Aug 17, 2003 at 12:13:18 AM EST

I mean, come on! "Men Without Hats?" That's so fucking unoriginal! I hate unoriginal bands. They should all be killed.
Sent from my iPad
Wow. Nice article? (none / 0) (#77)
by Antiorganic on Mon Aug 18, 2003 at 02:25:41 AM EST

I can't even tell whether or not this is satire. If it is, very clever. If not, what the fuck?

The banana up top... (none / 0) (#78)
by GavalinB on Mon Aug 18, 2003 at 03:06:56 AM EST

Means it's Humour. So, yes, rest easy. It is, in fact, satire. Thanks!
The Future is Prologue: Join Our Sagas Today!
dude, coudl there be like..... (none / 0) (#79)
by axxad on Mon Aug 18, 2003 at 05:29:45 AM EST

... a connection ?!
__________________________________________________

I'M WAITING! They've denied me posting for a while, you knwo: rule of too many posts. The diaries section should be converted to free-form art entity. I could research AI code for it. WhatDOyouThink?

Is this American humor? (3.00 / 1) (#82)
by exa on Fri Aug 29, 2003 at 02:30:28 PM EST

I don't know. I just didn't find it funny. Maybe it's a really good VH1 parody, but that doesn't make it funny for me.

I mean, come on, I'd prefer an article about Marilyn Manson being Jesus Christ.

Remote possibility? Think again :P

__
exa a.k.a Eray Ozkural
There is no perfect circle.

I'll mark you down as... (none / 0) (#83)
by GavalinB on Sat Aug 30, 2003 at 11:15:30 PM EST

Man With Parasol. Thanks for participating in our non-scientific study!