Paneer is easy.

By gordonjcp in Culture
Tue Oct 05, 2004 at 01:25:53 PM EST
Tags: Food (all tags)
Food

Paneer is a kind of soft cheese used in Indian cuisine. It's a bit like ricotta. It takes minutes to make, and you can experiment with it. This recipe is neither particularly original, nor particularly authentic. But, you get stuff that looks and tastes like the paneer you get in Indian restaurants, so it must be pretty close. It doesn't use rennet, so it's vegetarian-safe. It isn't vegan-safe.

Ingredients
  • 2 litres of milk
  • the juice of two lemons
  • cumin powder
  • salt

Equipment
  • big pan, at least 4 litres
  • cheesecloth - more of which anon
  • wooden spoon
  • two chopping boards or similar

You can use a clean dishcloth for your cheesecloth, or any other smooth cotton cloth. Make sure you haven't washed it with fabric softener, and that it's been thoroughly rinsed. If it smells freshly laundered, that's how your cheese will taste!

Instructions

1. Pour the milk into the pan. Add about a teaspoonful of salt, and about a teaspoonful of ground cumin
  2. Bring the milk to a gentle simmer. Keep it there for about 5 minutes. If you take your eyes off it for a second, it will boil over. If it burns, your paneer will taste funny.
  3. Remove the simmered milk from the heat, and start to slowly stir in the lemon juice, about a tablespoonful at a time. The milk will begin to curdle. This is "curds and whey". If it doesn't go, add a tiny bit of vinegar.
  4. Keep stirring and adding lemon juice until the curds are thick masses, and the whey is only slightly cloudy.
  5. Drain off the whey, keeping the curds.
  6. Dump the curds out onto the cloth (it will be messy), wrap them up, and squeeze the cloth to get the whey out.
  7. Open up the cloth and look at the curds. Taste some. If it needs a bit more salt, add some (it should not taste salty). If it needs more cumin, add some (it should be quite subtle). If you feel like adding something else, like chilli, or coriander, or anything, now is a good time
  8. Fold the curds up in the cloth, in a squarish block. Put the block on one chopping board, place the other chopping board on top, then balance the big pot, full of cold water, on top

After a couple of hours, you will have pressed out all the whey that's going to go. Unwrap the cloth and dump it in the sink. It will need rinsed out and washed almost immediately, otherwise it will smell very sour. Clingfilm the paneer, and it will keep for a couple of weeks.

You can crumble it up onto curries. You can spread it on flat bread. You can even dip it in batter and deep-fry it. It tastes great. You've made cheese.

Cheese?
o Yes please! 75%
o No thanks... 14%
o I'm lactose-intolerant 5%
o I don't have a kitchen 0%
o I'm vegan, you insensitive bastard! 0%
o I don't have a washing machine! (Eww, I don't want to know!) 5%

o Also by gordonjcp

Paneer is easy. | 64 comments (57 topical, 7 editorial, 0 hidden)
Let me be the first to say (1.80 / 15) (#1)
by it certainly is on Mon Oct 04, 2004 at 08:39:13 PM EST

FUCK VEGANS

kur0shin.org -- it certainly is

Godwin's law [...] is impossible to violate except with an infinitely long thread that doesn't mention nazis.

NO WAY! That is JUST WRONG WRONG WRONG! (2.60 / 5) (#2)
by Theoretical User on Mon Oct 04, 2004 at 08:42:40 PM EST

I like some cushion for the pushin', and all vegans are twigs.

___
Your Wife Gives Bad Head. -- CheeseburgerBrown
They are what they eat, I guess (nt) (2.50 / 4) (#9)
by curien on Tue Oct 05, 2004 at 02:03:55 AM EST

This sig is umop apisdn.
I like steak and pussy as much as the next guy... (none / 1) (#7)
by The Amazing Idiot on Tue Oct 05, 2004 at 01:55:27 AM EST

But you ought to try those "veggie burgers" Subway sells.. They taste actually pretty good, and theyre better when you get extra Bacon ;-)

With the veggieburger and veggies, those sandwiches are supposed to be pretty heathy.

Though the sauces are salmonella city. Once got food poisoning from a "chipotle" sauce. Some twat there left it out and it started festering. I ended up throwing up and shitting for 9 hours straight. Went later to tell the manager of that store, and one of their own workers got the same thing....

I stopped eating at subway (none / 1) (#25)
by dasunt on Tue Oct 05, 2004 at 12:12:13 PM EST

I stopped eating at subway once I went vegan. Without meat or dairy products on their subs, its amazing how apparent their low-quality half-wilted veggies are.

Subway isn't a good vegan solution. Neither is BK, because the patty they use on the veggieburger tastes like cardboard. Best bet for vegans are bean burritos, sans cheese, with extra lettuce and tomatoes at Taco Bell/John's. Not really tasty, but it'll fill you up.

For non-chains, some Mom & Pop Oriental restraunts have vegan options and are tasty.

The milk in the dough would be a problem too. (none / 1) (#42)
by Russell Dovey on Tue Oct 05, 2004 at 11:16:55 PM EST

nyet textski.

"Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light." - Spike Milligan

I am morally superior to you (1.14 / 7) (#14)
by tetsuwan on Tue Oct 05, 2004 at 04:16:36 AM EST

Grow fat by overeating as you like.

Njal's Saga: Just like Romeo & Juliet without the romance

And let ME be the first to say (none / 0) (#51)
by jaeson on Wed Oct 06, 2004 at 04:43:46 PM EST

Enjoy your Mad Cow disease. With less people like you around the vegetarians will eventually outnumber you.

Until all the food runs out. (none / 0) (#57)
by gordonjcp on Thu Oct 07, 2004 at 04:08:29 AM EST

The world can not support an entirely vegetarian population. Forget the PETA bollocks about it taking ten times as much grain to feed a cow as you get back in meat (why the hell are you feeding cows grain anyway? Cows eat grass!). It's nonsense, and based on the deeply flawed assumption that you can grow crops wherever you currently graze animals.

Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll bore you rigid with fishing stories for the rest of your life.

Bullshit (none / 0) (#62)
by jaeson on Wed Oct 13, 2004 at 06:10:38 PM EST

The world can not support an entirely vegetarian population.

Bullshit. Where are you getting your facts from exactly? (besides your ass) Care to post any actual statistics to back up your claim? Here's a nice fact for you from the National Corn Growers Association (NCGA):
"Most corn grown in the U.S. is used to feed livestock. Poultry, beef, pork and dairy
producers use more than 60-percent of all the corn grown in the U.S."

Cows eat grass!

More bullshit. The reason we have Mad Cow Disease is because people have been feeding ground up Cows to Cows.

The US is a tiny part of the world (none / 0) (#63)
by gordonjcp on Thu Oct 14, 2004 at 04:48:17 PM EST

France, Germany and England fed cows MBM briefly about 15 years ago. Scotland and the rest of Europe did not.

Are you seriously suggesting that all livestock farms could be turned over to arable production? This is a common fallacy - most livestock farms are hill farms and therefore cannot be used for arable production.

now i'm confused. (2.80 / 5) (#3)
by the ghost of rmg on Mon Oct 04, 2004 at 09:18:45 PM EST

where's the troll? are you responding to something in the queue? or the site as a whole?

man, this troll stuff is getting too abstract, man.

rmg: comments better than yours.

u r losing ground! (3.00 / 2) (#15)
by noogie on Tue Oct 05, 2004 at 04:17:50 AM EST

*** ANONYMIZED BY THE EVIL KUROFIVEHIN MILITARY JUNTA ***
Interesting... (2.80 / 5) (#4)
by gr3y on Mon Oct 04, 2004 at 09:46:13 PM EST

"panir" means "cheese" in Farsi, not a type of cheese.

I am a disruptive technology.

Similar (none / 0) (#6)
by baba on Tue Oct 05, 2004 at 01:03:22 AM EST

Iranian paneer is most often simply feta, which is made in a process that is very similar to the one described here. The major differences are the presence of sheep or goat milk, and the lack of spices.

and... (none / 1) (#19)
by Delirium on Tue Oct 05, 2004 at 08:52:48 AM EST

"Feta" just means "cheese" in Greek, not a specific type of cheese. Although it also means the type of cheese, because it's the normal cheese everyone eats.

This thread represents... (none / 0) (#40)
by gr3y on Tue Oct 05, 2004 at 09:20:38 PM EST

the fucking cool aspect of living languages... "Panir" is generic cheese in Farsi. "Feta" is generic cheese in Greece. In the U. S., both are "premium" import cheeses.

And "coke" is generic soda.

I always wondered which came first: Indian "naan" or Persian "noon". I should have guessed India was the source.

I am a disruptive technology.

it's actually slightly more amusing (3.00 / 2) (#44)
by Delirium on Wed Oct 06, 2004 at 12:08:00 AM EST

"Feta" technically doesn't even mean "cheese" in Greek; that's more of an implied meaning. Literally, it means "slice". A slice of what? Well, cheese of course. What kind of cheese? Feta, of course.

Not surprising. (none / 1) (#21)
by For Whom The Bells Troll on Tue Oct 05, 2004 at 09:23:02 AM EST

Since paneer is quintessentially a Mughalai (== Indian Persian) preparation. Other points of overlap include,but are not limited to, (shahi) kebab, naan, kulcha, haleem and, you guessed it, Irani chai.

The Big F Word.
ugh gross (2.50 / 2) (#5)
by balsamic vinigga on Tue Oct 05, 2004 at 12:10:50 AM EST

but i'd vote up a daal recipe

Please help fund a Filipino Horror Movie. It's been in limbo since 2007 due to lack of funding. Please donate today!
Suggestion: (3.00 / 2) (#10)
by UCF BullitNutz on Tue Oct 05, 2004 at 02:30:34 AM EST

A Bhang recipe on the side.

Please?
----------
" It ain't a successful troll until the admin shuts off new user registration for half a year." - godix

Yeah, you could add some bhang (n/t) (none / 0) (#47)
by gordonjcp on Wed Oct 06, 2004 at 03:59:50 AM EST

So you want more Bhang for you buck? (n/t) (none / 0) (#58)
by nurikochan on Fri Oct 08, 2004 at 10:37:22 AM EST

Rennet? (2.00 / 6) (#12)
by Kasreyn on Tue Oct 05, 2004 at 03:00:46 AM EST

God. Every once in a while, I imagine what it would be like if I wasted time every day gnashing my teeth in political fervor over the fuel I don't stoke my metabolism with. I imagine what it would be like to live in a cranium small enough that whether or not to eat something that's already dead actually *mattered*. But mostly I imagine how much less time I would have for reading and computer games, and then I wake up screaming.

-Kasreyn

"Extenuating circumstance to be mentioned on Judgement Day:
We never asked to be born in the first place."

R.I.P. Kurt. You will be missed.
Well, exactly. (none / 0) (#13)
by gordonjcp on Tue Oct 05, 2004 at 03:38:32 AM EST

Personally I don't really care. I know other people do, though.

So.. (none / 0) (#43)
by stormie on Wed Oct 06, 2004 at 12:00:30 AM EST

the only people who have wasted time gnashing teeth in political fervor in this thread seem to be the carnivores.

So it's the same as every other thread on kuro5hin where the eating or not eating of meat is discussed, basically.

gnahahaa (none / 1) (#34)
by garote on Tue Oct 05, 2004 at 05:55:02 PM EST

Yah, it's much better for our well-being to simply walk around like Pac-Man, gobbling up whatever's directly in front of us, whether it's made of fried insect shit or the congealed slime squeezed from pig nuts via Farmer Bob's syphillitic bare hands. Who cares, right? Gargabe in, garbage out.

And people who don't think twice about this, obsess over which octane of gasoline goes in their stupid car. The tunnelvision is pretty pathetic, isn't it?

Frankly, I'm glad I pay attention to what I stuff in my face.

Oh, I realize that. (none / 0) (#55)
by Kasreyn on Thu Oct 07, 2004 at 12:56:12 AM EST

I just have the arrogance to feel that my chosen perceptual filters (aka tunnel vision) are superior to others', because I chose mine actively, and others simply wandered into theirs reactively. :P

Or it's just the self-serving bias. The fun thing about self-analysis is, you really never can tell when you're being completely honest with yourself. :)

-Kasreyn

"Extenuating circumstance to be mentioned on Judgement Day:
We never asked to be born in the first place."

R.I.P. Kurt. You will be missed.
Do not forget .... (none / 1) (#16)
by Tezcatlipoca on Tue Oct 05, 2004 at 04:38:23 AM EST

.... that the milk has to be skimmed.

The evil fat could kill you.

Might is right
Freedom? Which freedom?

Haha, good one... (none / 1) (#27)
by gordonjcp on Tue Oct 05, 2004 at 12:21:22 PM EST

You know that cheese is mostly milk fat?

Write-in vote: I'm allergic to whey protein [nt] (1.75 / 4) (#17)
by SoupIsGoodFood on Tue Oct 05, 2004 at 06:10:36 AM EST

That's whey bogus (none / 0) (#41)
by CaptainSuperBoy on Tue Oct 05, 2004 at 10:19:26 PM EST

jimmysquid.com - I take pictures.
Well, dispite draining out the whey (none / 0) (#54)
by SoupIsGoodFood on Wed Oct 06, 2004 at 11:59:44 PM EST

Pretty much all cheese still contains whey protein. The more aged/tastier cheeses contain much more whey protein, and hardly any lactose.

Fight the scourge of Creeping Decimalism (1.57 / 7) (#18)
by IHCOYC on Tue Oct 05, 2004 at 07:59:11 AM EST

. . . and give the quantities for your recipe in plain English, please.
Ecce torpet probitas, virtus sepelitur;
Fit iam parca largitas, parcitas largitur;
Verum dicit falsitas; veritas mentitur.

what does your sig mean? (nt) (none / 0) (#20)
by xutopia on Tue Oct 05, 2004 at 08:57:27 AM EST

The sig. . . (3.00 / 2) (#24)
by IHCOYC on Tue Oct 05, 2004 at 11:35:28 AM EST

Ecce torpet probitas, virtus sepelitur;
Fit iam parca largitas, parcitas largitur;
Verum dicit falsitas; veritas mentitur.
"Look at how sound judgment lies asleep, and virtue is buried. Generosity has become scanty, while miserliness has grown great. Lies tell the truth; the truth lies." This is from the Carmina Burana manuscript.
Ecce torpet probitas, virtus sepelitur;
Fit iam parca largitas, parcitas largitur;
Verum dicit falsitas; veritas mentitur.

Four pints (n/t) (none / 0) (#29)
by gordonjcp on Tue Oct 05, 2004 at 02:29:13 PM EST

join the rest of the world.... (none / 0) (#31)
by Run4YourLives on Tue Oct 05, 2004 at 02:51:04 PM EST

anytime you're ready, so are we.

It's slightly Japanese, but without all of that fanatical devotion to the workplace. - CheeseburgerBrown
An article on cheese? (1.66 / 3) (#28)
by tonyenkiducx on Tue Oct 05, 2004 at 12:32:59 PM EST

They government is right, smoking weed does make you hallucinate. Still, I'm stoned so I found it amusing. +1!

Tony.
I see a planet where love is foremost, where war is none existant. A planet of peace, and a planet of understanding. I see a planet called
Ooo! This is fun! (3.00 / 5) (#35)
by maxgraphic on Tue Oct 05, 2004 at 05:56:54 PM EST

Now me!

"Sake" just means "alcoholic beverage" in Japanese, not a specific kind.

"Chai" just means "tea" in India, not a specific kind.

"Salsa" just means "sauce" in Spanish, not a specific kind.

"Garçon" just means "boy" in French, not a specific kind.

let's add some more (3.00 / 4) (#45)
by greggman on Wed Oct 06, 2004 at 12:42:22 AM EST

"mojave" means desert so "Mojave desert" is wrong

"sahara" also means desert so saying/writing "the Sahara desert" is also wrong.

In both cases it should just be "the Sahara" and "the Mojave"

By the way, "sake" means both alcohol AND in particular "rice wine"  It depends on the context.  You go to a "sake" store but once you are there you actually buy "sake" (rice wine), "shochu" potato based liquor, "umeshu" plum wine, "whisky, rum, scotch, etc..."

Yeah, I know. (3.00 / 4) (#49)
by it certainly is on Wed Oct 06, 2004 at 12:20:17 PM EST

I was in the Mojave desert near the Sierra Nevada mountains, when I typed my PIN number into the ATM machine.

kur0shin.org -- it certainly is

ZING!! (none / 0) (#53)
by nimms on Wed Oct 06, 2004 at 11:00:56 PM EST

Of course to be fair... (none / 0) (#56)
by xria on Thu Oct 07, 2004 at 02:58:56 AM EST

If you said you were typing your PI Number in people would be able to guess it was 3142 (except for the nerds which would try and type in the first billion digits that they know off by heart) and put you in danger of being mugged.

Fried paneer is delicious! (none / 0) (#36)
by TheMealwormFarm on Tue Oct 05, 2004 at 06:07:26 PM EST

You can use it like tofu in many dishes. It works just like tofu and absorbs the flavor of any dish. Also, crumble uncooked paneer and you have egg substitute. And tandoori (smoked Indian style) paneer is great! If you don't want to make the cheese yourself, many Indian grocery markets sell blocks of paneer and ready-made dishes with paneer in them.

------
"Grandpa, didn't you wonder why you were getting paid for doing absolutely nothing?"
"Well, I figured the Demmycrats were in office again."
Vegan Paneer (3.00 / 2) (#37)
by shpoffo on Tue Oct 05, 2004 at 06:19:06 PM EST

I learned how to make paneer so that I could prepare it vegan-style. So I went out and bought a big cntainer of soy milk, carefully prepared the whole recipe, and as I was reflecting on the endeavor I realized that what I'd made was not _milk_curd but rather _soy bean_ ....... curd...... or, **TOFU**!

It was rather stupifying to realize that it too that long to realize that I was making tofu (bean curd).

So my thought now is; can you may othr kinds of vegetable curd? Avacado? Other fatty plants? Is that essentially what Texturized Vegetable Protien and Seitan is?

-Shpoffo

I don't know. (none / 0) (#46)
by gordonjcp on Wed Oct 06, 2004 at 03:58:00 AM EST

It sounds like it would be worth an article.

Seitan (none / 0) (#60)
by seanmeister on Mon Oct 11, 2004 at 10:05:19 AM EST

I don't know about TVP, but I made my first batch of seitan last night with exactly two ingredients: vital wheat gluten flour and water. No curds there!

Isn't cheese supposed to culture? (none / 1) (#38)
by student on Tue Oct 05, 2004 at 07:18:36 PM EST

Doesn't that take more than minutes?

Nice story.

Simon's Rock College of Bard, a college for younger scholars.

not nessesarily (none / 0) (#39)
by joschi on Tue Oct 05, 2004 at 08:13:47 PM EST

lots of cheeses are fresh like this, feta for example.

Vegetarian rennet (none / 1) (#48)
by willie on Wed Oct 06, 2004 at 06:45:08 AM EST

I'm curious as to where the idea of all rennet being non-vegetarian comes from. Traditional Vegetative rennets are made from fungal origin with Mucor mehei being the most commonly used. The main enzyme in calf-rennet is called Chymosin, which is found in the fourth stomach of a grain-fed calf. The strange thing is that there is a yeast, Kluyveromyces lactis, that produces the same enzyme, or a bacteria, Escherichia coli which also produces it. So it's really up to the maker to use a vegetarian based rennet. I can also state that vegetarian rennet accounts for about 70-80% of the rennet that we sell, so it is more common than you may think.

Very insightful (none / 0) (#59)
by gmol on Sun Oct 10, 2004 at 04:05:54 AM EST

Did not know that.

After reading about rennet, I believe that most cheap pizza cheeze that you can get in the supermarket is made with microbial/vegetable rennet since it is cheaper and all the fancy smelly stuff is made with animal rennet. Anyone hav any furhter knowledge on that?

The almighty buck (none / 0) (#61)
by willie on Tue Oct 12, 2004 at 08:19:32 AM EST

Rennet doesn't add any flavour to the cheese, it's just used as a coagulating agent. It's chosen on its ability to coagulate milk.

Vegetarian rennets are typically 'single strength' (or 145 IMCU/L - International Milk Clotting Units / Litre), while other (eg: calf) rennets are typically stronger than that.

In the end it comes down to a cost / clotting unit ratio, the cheaper you can get the stuff the more sense it makes.

I believe the world champion cheese (won by Australians for the last 2 years) was made with a yeast created Chymosin-based rennet.

Okay, I have the cheese... (none / 1) (#50)
by Hillgiant on Wed Oct 06, 2004 at 02:00:12 PM EST

Okay, I have the cheese. Now where do I put it?

-----
"It is impossible to say what I mean." -johnny

How about (none / 0) (#52)
by regeya on Wed Oct 06, 2004 at 05:30:07 PM EST

Supplying a link instead?

[ yokelpunk | kuro5hin diary ]

The evil fat could kill you. (none / 0) (#64)
by fxsw on Wed Oct 27, 2004 at 02:11:28 PM EST

The evil fat could kill you.
blog cnebook
Paneer is easy. | 64 comments (57 topical, 7 editorial, 0 hidden)