Homage To A Great Man: Doctor Hunter S. Thompson

By internetslacker in Culture
Tue Feb 22, 2005 at 06:07:13 PM EST
Tags: News (all tags)
News

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, famed 'gonzo' writer read by millions world-wide, commits suicide on the evening of February 20th, 2005. I, a very devoted fan of the Doctor's, am awake late this night writing as I suddenly hear the horrible breaking news...

"If I'd written all the truth I knew for the past ten years, about 600 people - including me - would be rotting in prison cells from Rio to Seattle today.  Absolute truth is a very rare and dangerous commodity in the context of professional journalism."

- Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

I just heard through the blogs of the sudden passing of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, and I'm in quite a bit of shock. Hunter S. Thompson has always been a big inspiration to me, both as a writer and a man who lived life without compromise.I am genuinely in grief.

I really, really wish I could have met him. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson was always on my "Ten People I'd Invite To Dinner" list. I was considering sending him a letter of admiration, but I didn't want to bother the Good Doctor. Why didn't I send him an e-mail, goddamnit?

I'm crying as I type because of this news. Cliche, yeah, I know...I'm not collapsed in grief...just big tears of sadness rolling down my stunned face wondering why the hell life has to get so goddamned rough on the people we admire so much. Oh Doc, why did you have to commit suicide? I'll never lose my respect for you, but it tears at me how you left this world. You were meant for a glorious passing, a grand & mythic final chapter...not this horribly ignominious death. I can't believe you gave up, Duke; that's just not you. Has the world become so bad, so downright fucked, that the heroes of our generation are giving up?

Okay, I have to get hold of my emotions. I want to tell you what Hunter S. Thompson meant to me.

The first book I ever read of Hunter S. Thompson's was Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, and I was hooked on his style of writing for the rest of my life. I've read almost all of his books and articles, from his political writings to sports coverage to personal recollections. I've watched (many times!) the movies based on his life; Bill Murray & Johnny Depp's portrayal of a man larger than any mere acting role could ever be. Those two actors both stated that once they were in the `Hunter' role, it was difficult to go back to their normal personalities. I can understand that...Thompson was Real with a capital R, not a mere act; who could pretend to be such a man and not be overwhelmed?

Hunter at his best was a hero, unafraid of telling the truth no matter who it angered in the American government. He was a modern-day Mark Twain carrying a dictionary by Ambrose Bierce; Thompson single-handedly created the genre of `Gonzo Writing' that inspired countless writers across the world. He stomped in the rallies of the Democrats and the Republicans, reported near the battle fields of Vietnam, and terrified any neighbor he didn't like living by his Woody Creek retreat. Hunter S. Thompson was a completely unique beast, the kind of guy you wished you could be.

There were few other writers who consistently matched his quality and dedication to the craft. Hunter S. Thompson wrote, and wrote, and wrote with an incredible ferocity; he was quick to utilize new technology, like the portable tape recorder in the 70's to the Internet of today, to get the real, actual essence of the moment across to his many readers. And there is no such thing as Thompson edited or unedited, really...when you read Hunter S. Thompson, you become his inner dialogue. I've never read any other writer like him, and it saddens me so much to know his typewriter is now quiet.

Goodbye, Doctor. It seemed to me you'd never die, no matter the drugs you took or the liquor you drank. I'll always remember your Life and how much inspiration and joy you gave to me, someone you never knew. I'm not going to focus on how you left us; instead, I like to think you're in a huge white convertible driving across a sun-baked Nevada desert with a coked-out Mexican angel representing you as your attorney...and it brings a small smile to my face amongst all the hideous grief knowing you're gonna shake up Heaven and ask God Himself why He's such a bastard sometimes.

Rest In Peace Hunter Stockton Thompson, writer, father, inspiration to the millions of us. We'll never forget you, that's impossible...what seems impossible now is that you're gone.

Written Works Of Hunter S. Thompson - How Much Have You Read?
o All or Almost All Of H.S.T's Books & Articles. 4%
o All or Almost All Of H.S.T's Books & Some Articles. 8%
o All or Almost All of H.S.T's Books. 2%
o Many of Hunter S. Thompson's Books. 6%
o Some of Hunter S. Thompson's Books, including 'Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas'. 9%
o Just 'Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas'. 9%
o A book or one or two articles. 11%
o None at all. 48%

o Also by internetslacker

Homage To A Great Man: Doctor Hunter S. Thompson | 130 comments (102 topical, 28 editorial, 0 hidden)
To Live with passion (none / 1) (#3)
by monkeymind on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 07:03:07 AM EST

Ask not what jesus would do but Dr Thompson. I guess he decided to find out what all the fuss was about.

I believe in Karma. That means I can do bad things to people and assume the deserve it.

Boo hoo hoo (2.58 / 12) (#4)
by rusty on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 07:03:15 AM EST

It sucks for us to lose the great Doctor, but honestly. The amount of weeping and moaning about his ignominious end is a little much. I think he'd be embarrassed by it.

The way I see it is, high-speed lead was the only remaining drug he hadn't tried. He felt he was done, so he took the last great trip. I don't begrudge him the right to decide that for himself, an no one else should either.

He will be missed and mourned by many. But I hope we won't insult him by calling his end cowardly or ignominious.

____
Not the real rusty

Hmmm (none / 0) (#13)
by twickham on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 08:28:42 AM EST

Ive been reading around a few other forums and have been finding that there is a great deal of common sadness at HSTs passing. Even on the highly polarised flame war type sites. I think one of the amazing things about the man was that, it didnt matter if you agreed with him and his actions. He was an obvious "voice" that deserved being listened to. The older I get the more I find that to be a rare thing.

Good Thought (none / 0) (#99)
by tincat2 on Wed Feb 23, 2005 at 02:30:04 AM EST

Just what I've been thinking-I don't like to lionize anyone,but credit should go to whom it is due and this man was a "voice"; rare indeed amongst the "nattering nabobs" of every stripe who seem to hold sway over the various media despite a lack of anything to say.

I see you survived (none / 0) (#14)
by wiredog on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 08:32:18 AM EST

the ice climbing expedition.

Wilford Brimley scares my chickens.
Phil the Canuck

Cowardly? (none / 0) (#20)
by sllort on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 10:43:40 AM EST

I think that he would probably respond to accusations of cowardice by sliding the gun across the table and inviting his accusers to try it themselves.

My bet is he didn't even flinch.
Warning: On Lawn is a documented liar.

He was 67 years old (none / 0) (#30)
by toulouse on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 01:07:50 PM EST

He'd done more drugs than most of us here combined, and was still lucid. He drank and smoked almost every day of his life.

I've no evidence for this, but I'd wager that he'd come down with the big C, and chose the speedboat rather than the canoe.

'My god...it's full of blogs.' - ktakki

Could be (none / 0) (#31)
by rusty on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 01:16:36 PM EST

I haven't heard any word on whether there was a note. He probably figured he'd already written quite enough of a note by now.

____
Not the real rusty
In all honesty.... (none / 0) (#108)
by ckaminski on Thu Feb 24, 2005 at 04:37:34 PM EST

I NEVER expected anything but an end like this for the venerable Dr. Gonzo.  To him, to just fade away would seem a waste of life's last great experience... Why take a chance of dying in your sleep or attached to some breathing machine for who knows how long?

I forget which book it was (none / 0) (#110)
by rusty on Thu Feb 24, 2005 at 04:44:06 PM EST

But the into to one of his books is essentially a suicide note, where he claims that when he's done writing it he might  just jump out the window right then and there.

I wasn't particularly surprised either. I'm inclined to believe that he had cancer or something, or possibly was just sick of being old, and decided to take the high-speed lane straight to hell instead of the scenic golf cart ride through "attended living" and dementia.

____
Not the real rusty

Um (none / 0) (#78)
by trhurler on Tue Feb 22, 2005 at 02:52:37 AM EST

His end was cowardly. He blew his head off because he saw what he regarded as "his side" losing and losing badly over and over again. Is it so hard to face the fact that this man was in fact a man and not a messiah?:)

'God dammit, your posts make me hard.' --LilDebbie

Eh? (none / 0) (#91)
by rusty on Tue Feb 22, 2005 at 09:57:41 AM EST

Are you just making this up, or do you have info about a note or something that I don't?

____
Not the real rusty

Hmm (none / 0) (#103)
by trhurler on Wed Feb 23, 2005 at 10:07:22 PM EST

Let's see. 67 year old far left warmed over 60s drug addled sex maniac kills self. Family says he was unhappy about having had a hip replacement.

Do you believe that story, or do you have a brain?

If the latter, then read what Thompson's been writing for the last few years. Nothing but nonstop rants about how horrible everything is, how Republicans(he frequently refers to them as Nazis - HTH,) are taking everything over, and how we're all fucked.

Lots of people kill themselves because of depression brought about by disillusionment. How many people do you think in the entire history of the billions of humans who have lived have killed themselves over a hip replacement? Be serious.

'God dammit, your posts make me hard.' --LilDebbie

So you're just making it up. (none / 1) (#106)
by rusty on Thu Feb 24, 2005 at 09:17:04 AM EST

Ok. I was just wondering.

____
Not the real rusty
A question (none / 0) (#115)
by trhurler on Fri Feb 25, 2005 at 12:35:40 AM EST

Have you heard ANY explanation that wasn't "made up" as you put it that is actually credible? If not, then whatever you believe is "made up" as well. His family's statement said they didn't really know for sure and that he hadn't told them about this at all, so what they said is "made up" too.

Given a solution space in which all answers suffer from a given problem, suffering from that problem is not an obstacle to acceptance. You are as aware of this as anyone.

One might be led to believe that you don't accept my otherwise very likely explanation because you have an overly kind opinion of a man whose life was more often defined by excess and criminality than anything else. I could be wrong of course; I have no ability to read your mind. But certainly you do not object to my explanation merely because it is "made up."

'God dammit, your posts make me hard.' --LilDebbie

No (none / 1) (#117)
by rusty on Fri Feb 25, 2005 at 10:59:41 AM EST

Your explanation (that he killed himself over politics) seemed so bizarre I thought you would surely only advance it if you had some information to back it up. So I wanted to know what that was.

I don't object to your explanation because it's theoretical. I object to it because it's dumb.

____
Not the real rusty

Hmm (none / 0) (#119)
by trhurler on Sat Feb 26, 2005 at 03:03:50 AM EST

I don't think it is a matter of "politics." I think it is a matter of an entire outlook on life that he possessed, and which he thought was going to become THE outlook on life back in the 60s, and which he basically became more and more bitter about as time went on. The most concrete example of it recently may well have been the reelection of Dubya, but I'm sure that's not as important as the ongoing trend that's been afoot basically since the beginning of the 70s.

But hey, I'm sure the guy actually blew his head off because he was upset about his shiny new titanium hip joint. Compared to an entire worldview and the angst it can bring when it doesn't work out, that makes perfect sense. :)

'God dammit, your posts make me hard.' --LilDebbie

Have you read any of his work? (none / 0) (#120)
by rusty on Sat Feb 26, 2005 at 11:02:16 AM EST

He figured out that his outlook on life was doomed in about 1970, if not before. His entire body of work is pretty much about the corruption and evil in our country and the failure of good people to make any difference. It strikes me as implausible, to say the least, to assume that that was the motivation.

____
Not the real rusty
Hmm (none / 0) (#122)
by trhurler on Sat Feb 26, 2005 at 04:22:09 PM EST

So you think he wrote about this, believed it for 35 years, and this had no impact on his mental state? I doubt that. Hero worship is all well and good, but the man WAS a man, after all. Look on the bright side: most people wouldn't have lasted five years, let alone thirty five.

'God dammit, your posts make me hard.' --LilDebbie

You loathsome little worm (none / 0) (#104)
by shinshin on Thu Feb 24, 2005 at 12:32:43 AM EST

I've got news for you, dickhead, but Thompson's side won. I don't know what world you lived in, but his side got Civil Rights, Women's Lib, and ended a pointless war. He may not have gotten McGovern, but history remembers Nixon for the criminal he was anyway. He may not have gotten Kerry, but, well, all right-thinking and informed people know how Bush's legacy will be regarded. And that probably pisses you off to no end, considering the dozen or so posts you've made in various threads talking about how much you hated HST and all he stood for.

Besides, Thompson knew the 60's had reached their pinnacle. From one of his more moving passages:

There was no point in fighting -- on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark -- the place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

But don't let that stand in the way of your vitriolic evil little hate-fest. Call his family liars and mock their mourning; I'm sure those who mourn for you will be many fewer and farther between.

____
We believe he has, in fact, reconstituted nuclear weapons --Dick Cheney, Meet the Press, March 16, 2003

Ok. (1.25 / 4) (#6)
by The Amazing Idiot on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 07:13:35 AM EST

Now, when he committed suicide, his soul went straight to Hell, to burn in the fire and brimstone for all eternity.

There will be no resting for him.

*post said with a Catholic slant*

And here was I... (3.00 / 2) (#7)
by twickham on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 07:17:48 AM EST

...thinking that the name the "amzing" idiot was just hyperbole.

uh huh (none / 0) (#9)
by pyramid termite on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 07:34:19 AM EST

he'd love every minute of it ... what's your point?

On the Internet, anyone can accuse you of being a dog.

Damn straight (none / 0) (#16)
by localroger on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 08:54:19 AM EST

Re Hell: he'd love every minute of it

Thompson would probably be the first to advise you that Hell is where you will meet the people who are worth spending Eternity with.

I am become Death, Destroyer of Worlds -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

woo (none / 0) (#114)
by anthroporraistes on Thu Feb 24, 2005 at 11:30:44 PM EST

more good company!

biology is destiny
He was a good writer but face it (2.00 / 3) (#10)
by dteeuwen on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 07:45:48 AM EST

writing is not an exciting life. He lived a very boring exitence in the woods and wrote about things that happened 30 years ago.  Also, it made sense back in the '60'a and '70's, but by the '80's it was just pre-Libertarian hyjinks.

_________

Down the slopes of death he rides
The eight hooves pound like drums
Darkness reigns the crumbling sky
Invasion has begun

the funniest part (2.66 / 12) (#15)
by circletimessquare on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 08:43:06 AM EST

is this gonzo gun freak would be the first to call you a bunch of spinless 'tards

the greatest thing that can be said about this man is probably his total uncompromising allegiance to his own drug-addled individuality

to such a person, any worship in the church of the cult of personality, even his, would be disliked

so stop worshiping in this man's cult of personality: he didn't want it, and if you actually had any inkling of what he was all about, and actually learned anything from him as an example, you wouldn't be wanking off on his passing (which was probably done as a spur of the moment lark, in keeping with his personality), you would be out playing shotgun golf, like he probably did a few days ago

in the name of hunter s. thompson, grab a shotgun, sniff a line of coke, and go shoot something in your backyard

(i won't be doing either, i'm a gun hating teetotaler, but i respect him as a true loud mouth, which i can totally appreciate)

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

Hear hear ! (3.00 / 2) (#17)
by twickham on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 09:09:41 AM EST

For the second time in a very short period of time Im with CTS :)

I hope Im not some kinda fanboy wanker, but the news of this death shook me up quite a bit. And you are prolly right that Thompson would be the first to call us "spinless 'tards". I think this is shakign me up cause I truely admire people that live the way they want to live and say what they want to say, regardless of consequences.

I love hearing a shit disturbing diatribe from the like of CTS and other... regardless of weather I beleive what they say or not. If we ever met in a pub and had a beer together CTS, Id probably disagree with just about everything that came out of your mouth :) But Id have a hell of a good time talking to you I think.

The key to not being a fanboy wanker (3.00 / 3) (#47)
by cburke on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 03:26:30 PM EST

is to refrain from wanking fanboys.

If you met cts in a pub (none / 1) (#54)
by sllort on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 06:02:08 PM EST

You'd wonder why they let homeless people in
Warning: On Lawn is a documented liar.
you'd never meet cts in a pub (none / 0) (#57)
by circletimessquare on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 07:35:28 PM EST

i don't drink

alcohol is for losers

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

Beer (3.00 / 2) (#60)
by twickham on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 08:48:52 PM EST

Beer is not a form of alcohol but rather a nectar to be quaffed on the path to enlightenment. Dangerous, but well worth this risk. Kind of like the peach of knowledge. Scotch as well. Gin and rum on the other hand.... :)

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to prosper." - Benjamin Franklin

Beer ??? (none / 0) (#118)
by screwdriver on Fri Feb 25, 2005 at 03:33:46 PM EST

If by enlightenment you mean flatulence, then yes.

Rum is for those who want to truly reach new heights, even if that means coming down rather loudly and often with disastrous results.

I will agree with you on the subject of scotch and gin, tho.  One is superb, the other should be banned.  In my own experience, gin can give you a hangover without actually having been drunk.  :-)

PS.  Don't drink and drive.  This is no joke.

Intoxicants are intoxicants.... (none / 0) (#109)
by ckaminski on Thu Feb 24, 2005 at 04:42:47 PM EST

Me, I get off on Oxygen.  Best inhalant of them all...

0; vertical spam (none / 1) (#21)
by sllort on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 10:44:04 AM EST

Warning: On Lawn is a documented liar.
No redeeming social value. Just whores. (3.00 / 18) (#18)
by Magnetic North on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 09:31:06 AM EST

He was a bastard that made life hell for people around him, but at least he was man enough to admit what a nation of whores you yanks have become:

We have become a Nazi monster in the eyes of the whole world--a nation of bullies and bastards who would rather kill than live peacefully. We are not just Whores for power and oil, but killer whores with hate and fear in our hearts. We are human scum, and that is how history will judge us...No redeeming social value. Just whores. Get out of our way, or we'll kill you.

And I am too old to worry about whether they like it or not. Fuck them.

-Hunter S. Thompson

Well, yanks.. Hunter just showed you where the door is, are you up for it?

<33333
So you want all Americans to commit suicide? (1.00 / 4) (#36)
by LO313 on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 01:37:48 PM EST

You know what? Fuck you. You arogant bastard. Tell me where your from and show me how your country differs dickhead! I disagree with Hunter's position taken above but at least in the U.S. we yanks can say such things without being shot in the head or disappeared. Oh wait he shot himself in the head. The cruelest of all editors, one's self.

*ahem* (3.00 / 7) (#44)
by trezor on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 02:29:29 PM EST

We can't do that in Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Spain, Japan, New Zealand, Australia, Switzerland and a few dusin other countries I can't be bothered to remember, now that's for sure.

Jeez. Grow up dimwit. Chances are if there's any place in the civilized/western/free/whatever world where using your right for free speech will get you arrested or expelled from the presence of politicians, it's in the US.

I can't believe how you some people seem to believe that the US is the only free country in the world. It's just appaling how people this clueless even manage to exist in our free world and in the information age and all.

Richard Dean Anderson porn? - Now spread the news

Thankyou (none / 1) (#72)
by blackpaw on Tue Feb 22, 2005 at 12:37:59 AM EST

I see so many yanks spout as if they were the only free country in the world - its tiresome

But what about China? We're not China. (none / 1) (#75)
by cburke on Tue Feb 22, 2005 at 02:10:24 AM EST

You have to understand than many Americans feel that their country is magic.  The U.S.A. the greatest country in the world, simply because it is the U.S.A.  I think this happens sometime in elementary school, around the same time that childrens' programs are telling them that they should feel good about themselves no matter what, and that if they believe in themselves they can do anything1.  And thus do you have people driving around with stickers on their car with the American flag and "The Power of Pride".

"The Power of Pride".  Isn't that rich?  If you just feel good enough about your country, good things will happen.

Anyway, these days it's a little difficult to pretend that the States are infailable and an aspiration for all nations including the democracies.  But thankfully we have China or whatever other totalitarian state makes the U.S. look wonderful by comparison.  Compared to them, we do look pretty fucking good, and so you get us compared to them and only them, because it makes us look good.  So yeah, we're better than China.

1 Sorry, you little shits.  Knowledge begets confidence, and accomplishment begets pride.  Not the other way around.

Quick quiz (1.50 / 2) (#79)
by godix on Tue Feb 22, 2005 at 03:08:28 AM EST

What country has made it illegal to burn their flag in protest?
A) France
B) US

What country is it illegal to form or join the Nazi party?
A) Germany
B) US

What country will expel a child from school for expressing their religion?
A) France
B) US

What country can legally and officially censor newspapers?
A) United Kingdom
B) US

What country has tried to apply their laws against free speech to websites hosted in foreign nations?
A) France
B) US

Time to grade the quiz, don't worry this will be easy. The correct answer for each question was A.

I agree, although I suspect we're thinking of different people here.

- An egotist is someone who thinks they're almost as good as I am.
Another quiz: (3.00 / 3) (#85)
by SoupIsGoodFood on Tue Feb 22, 2005 at 04:30:12 AM EST

Which country has greater freedom?

A) UK
B) France
C) Germany
D) US

If you ticked any one of them, you are an idiot.

First of all. This all depends on what freedoms you value more. Sure, the US doesn't ban you from joining the Nazi party. But it certainly acts like one when it come to drugs, and is increasing acting the same way towards IP.

Lets not forget corruption. It doesn't matter what you have written down on paper (laws) if there is corruption in the system. Corruption exists in all governments. But of course, the level varies a lot depending on the country.

Also, you can pick out little examples of someone's freedom being compromised, but we all know that is pretty meaningless, because I could come up with examples for the US. There's plenty of stupid things to choose from both sides in something like this.

He's another little thing for you to think about:

While the UK government does have the power to censor newspapers. Perhaps you should consider why this is, and if it's really that much of a problem. The UK government has the power to censor newspapers, for one thing, to stop newspapers releasing the names of people involved in a court trial who have been protected etc.
Chances are, if the government tried to censor important information, to cover their ass or something, then the public would know about it and would demand an explanation. The government are forced to cooperate, else they might not be there next election. Or they may loose an alliance with other parties and loose the majority to rule (depending on their democratic system) etc, etc.

On the other hand, the media in the US is owned by some very influential companies, who can be bribed by some other very influential companies. The end result is possibly much worse than having to worry that the big evil government are censoring all the liberal, public-loving newspapers.

I'm not actually even suggesting that there is more of a problem with censorship in the UK or the US. Just trying to point out that your little test makes a pathetic argument.

This article is still alive? (none / 0) (#97)
by godix on Tue Feb 22, 2005 at 05:35:46 PM EST

Jesus, I woulda thought this turd would be dumped by now and I could go back to ignoring this topic. Oh well.

The comment I replyed to was specifically about free speech so my reply was specifically about free speech. Other freedoms will compare differently but in regards to freedom of speech a US citizen has several clear and definate freedoms that most Europeans do not.

We can argue about why and if it's a good idea to censor the press but the end fact is that the UK government can censor the press and the US government can not.

So tell me, has the public demanding an explanation allowed David Shayler to move back to the UK or does he still have to rely on France denying an extradition request to keep his freedom?

- An egotist is someone who thinks they're almost as good as I am.
David Shayler (3.00 / 2) (#102)
by toulouse on Wed Feb 23, 2005 at 08:50:05 PM EST

was released from jail after serving just six weeks because of public pressure. He's currently going through the appeals procedure. He is also living and wandering around London happily doing television segments for Newsnight and other BBC2 TV programs, and writing op-ed pieces for various newspapers. They often call him in to comment on and illuminate the behaviour of the intelligence services. What exactly is your point, caller?

In any event, invoking Shayler is to invoke a straw man. Shayler got in shit for breaking the 'Official Secrets Act' - the equivalent of a Government NDA which you have to sign to do any sensitive intelligence work, and which, in effect, says "I promise to keep my mouth shut about what I do for a living" - standard spook operating procedure. It's got nothing whatsoever to do with general freedom of speech or freedom of the press. Dumb fucking yank ...

'My god...it's full of blogs.' - ktakki

you forgot poland (nt) (none / 1) (#107)
by Cackmobile on Thu Feb 24, 2005 at 11:02:42 AM EST

heh (none / 0) (#50)
by trane on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 03:46:13 PM EST

I remember reading this article. The "killer whores with hate and fear in our hearts" line made me wonder if he'd been to Seattle recently.

braindead western lefties (none / 0) (#58)
by circletimessquare on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 07:45:54 PM EST

have come to talk about the usa like hippies in the sixties talked about the police:

"those fucking pigs! tools of the man to keep us down! they love violence, those violent pigs!"

and then of course, there house gets broken into, and they are on the phone in a split second:

"help! police! someone is stealing my stash! come help me! please help me! i need justice! who around here works for justice! it is injust, my stash is gone, it's not fair!"

that about sums up the greal wisdom of the braindead western left about the state of the world and its relation to the usa today

(snicker)

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

Hardly. (none / 0) (#68)
by SoupIsGoodFood on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 10:44:49 PM EST

Sure, I know many who hate corrupt police, along with crooked politicians etc. But the only people I know of that hate all police in general are a small number of people like who you mention, or young idiots in general.

and hating the usa doesn't fall in that category? (1.50 / 2) (#69)
by circletimessquare on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 10:50:15 PM EST

the funniest part is the stupid quote above that magneticnorth attributed to hunter s. thompson about the evil of americans seeming so violent to the world:

hunter s. thompson was a drunk gun shooting moron that matches the stereotype perfectly!

do these people know what this guy spent his time doing with guns and drugs?

HELLO?????????

making thompson a stupid hypocrite, and anyone who idolizes him as blind and dumb

fuck hunter s. thompson, he's a stupid drunk blind gun-toting fuck

and that attitude of me to him, as a stupid gun-toting fuck?

MY ATTITUDE TO HIM IS THE ONLY ONE HERE THAT HUNTER S. THOMPSON WOULD PROBABLY RESPECT

IF ANYONE EHRE ACTUALLY UNDERSTOOD WHAT THE DEAD FUCKER TEACHES ABOUT INDIVUDALITY

as opposed to the stupid sycophantic asskissing propagandized fucks around here

fucking morons

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

Inderviduality (none / 0) (#71)
by SoupIsGoodFood on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 11:07:48 PM EST

He's only a hypocrite if you look at things simplisticly. But I'm sure you already know that, because you mumbled something about inderviduality, which doesn't really fit with your first post...

you define individuality (none / 0) (#73)
by circletimessquare on Tue Feb 22, 2005 at 12:57:20 AM EST

as following the lowest common denominator propaganda?

believing "bush=teh hitler!" is the very definition of being an unthinking sheeple!

(snicker)

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

No. (none / 0) (#74)
by SoupIsGoodFood on Tue Feb 22, 2005 at 01:43:27 AM EST

I'm saying, how can you rant-on about inderviduality when you're making simplistic generalised statements just like you accuse these others of doing.

you mean like this?: (none / 0) (#76)
by circletimessquare on Tue Feb 22, 2005 at 02:28:48 AM EST

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

Err... (none / 0) (#83)
by SoupIsGoodFood on Tue Feb 22, 2005 at 03:58:27 AM EST

Since when did I say that wasn't a generalised statment? The problem isn't with making generalised statments so much, as it is understanding that what you are saying or reading is a generalisation.

Besides, you're ignoring Hunter's writing style. Hunter wasn't a journalist in the normal sence. He was a creative writer. Most of his stuff falls more into art/literature rather than strict journalism. Hence the creation of "Gonzo journalism".

thank you, you've nailed the issue on its head (none / 0) (#84)
by circletimessquare on Tue Feb 22, 2005 at 04:19:42 AM EST

hatred of the usa for the reasons we see so pathetically so very often are, as you suggest, pure fiction

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

Exaggeration (none / 0) (#86)
by SoupIsGoodFood on Tue Feb 22, 2005 at 04:36:54 AM EST

...Is the word you were looking for, not fiction.

whatever you say dude ;-P (nt) (none / 0) (#87)
by circletimessquare on Tue Feb 22, 2005 at 04:44:50 AM EST

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

bush < teh hitler!" is (none / 0) (#112)
by pyro9 on Thu Feb 24, 2005 at 05:50:02 PM EST

I wouldn't give Bush that much credit. Bush lacks the strength of will needed to become Evil (with a capital E). He's more along the lines of exceedingly unwise and sociopathic scheming for petty gains without regard for what it may cost the rest of the planet.

The future isn't what it used to be
CTS (none / 0) (#89)
by Magnetic North on Tue Feb 22, 2005 at 09:11:56 AM EST

You should seek professional help. Seriously, I'm only trying to be friendly here. How much of your time do you spend writing angry incoherent rants like this? It's quite clear from reading your badly formatted drivel that you're well over the edge and have slipped far into lunacy. Maybe it's time to reconsider what the fuck you're doing with your life?

And yes, HST was a mean bastard and a prototype moron, but at least he was honest about it. That was my point.

<33333
BWAHAHAHAHAHA (none / 0) (#92)
by circletimessquare on Tue Feb 22, 2005 at 12:09:56 PM EST

paragraph 1: you're a mean bastard, you should be ashamed of that

paragraph 2: hst was a mean bastard, but at least he was proud of that

;-P

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

+1 FP for this comment alone. (none / 0) (#96)
by Russell Dovey on Tue Feb 22, 2005 at 02:27:59 PM EST

Cheat, rusty, and put in a billion votes. Democracy is dead, remember?

"Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light." - Spike Milligan

Oh fuck you (none / 0) (#127)
by Phil San on Tue Mar 01, 2005 at 11:38:21 AM EST

As opposed to the mollycoddled group of assfucking liars and historically myopic people that are the usual group of Europeans?

To be frank you act all self righteous only because all of your ability to be bad asses was taken away from you years before things like the internet and widesperead complaining in books became popular (aka cheaper publishing, and having to avoid things like quality in manuscripts).

What an "insightful" set of commentary. Frankly I don't give a fucking tinker's damn what kind of people the world thinks we are.

There wouldn't be the need to have all sorts of dirty tricks sneaking around if two conditions were met 1) the Soviet Union wasn't there to basically make our choices almost for us in terms of really bad choice, or collosal evil choice 2) Oil wasn't given to people who have little ability to manage themselves without either hoarding, acting despotic, or just plain trying to screw the world to get what they want.

As far as being somehow evil in the future I have to remind you of the absolutely black pit of evil that the Entire European continent has done in a much longer period of time and the fact that most likely the future will have more ability to actually get ahold of a blow by blow account of exactly what went on in recent history (thanks to things like electronic archiving) and you start to see how little this thinking will be able to jaundice a clear mind.

Who does vote for these dishonest shitheads? Who among us can be happy and proud of having this innocent blood on our hands? Who are these swine? These flag-sucking half-wits who get fleeced and fooled by stupid rich kids like George Bush? They are the same ones who wanted to have Muhammad Ali locked up for refusing to kill gooks. They speak for all that is cruel and stupid and vicious in the American character. They are the racists and hate mongers among us--they are the Ku Klux Klan. I piss down the throats of these Nazis.

Frankly anyone whose got their head up their ass and still thinks that anyone who could ever have had a chance to be president in the last 200 plus years who *wouldn't* have been rich needs a full frontal lobotomy.

That goes ditto for anyone who can't figure there's something called history and something called perspective.

I think this guy's brain shut off in or around 1970 but that's just me.

And I am too old to worry about whether they like it or not. Fuck them. -Hunter S. Thompson

No fuck you, you retarded drug swilling, swine. I would have loved to be the righteous citizen who managed to get the tip to the DEA to bust your worthless ass.

My sister states it really concisely about such people and events. All you really show by suicide is that the world wins and you basically totally lose.

Well, yanks.. Hunter just showed you where the door is, are you up for it?

Well you stupid British shit, I don't care what you think.

You and your group of "nice guys" raped, pillaged, conquerered, fought, suppressed, slaughtered, and genocided your way through the world before anyone really was there to contradict you for it.

Any other group is the same, you just did all the dirty work before things like the UN and other stuff could stop you.

Then you ran out of gas and didn't have a prayer do have the ability to do it again.

Then you basically eliminated all forms of direct poverty by massive subsidization which eliminates the consequences of being all nice and such: which is economic failure and hard times.

It's like judging a group of school children by adult standards when you had your own bullying and teasing and fights.

You do one in one period of your life it's just a "phase".

You do the other and you have a rap sheet and spend some quality time with rather disagreeable sociopathic individuals who basically replicate hell on earth for the unlucky individual involved.

So I say why don't we tally up your crimes and misadventures and see who in absolute terms for all time really is the worse? I'll leave that excercise up to anyone who really has access to a wold history book.

H.S.T. R.I.P. (3.00 / 6) (#19)
by peaceink on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 09:54:53 AM EST

Yes, Hunter was a bastard of the first order.  He was also refreshingly honest, and he cobbled together three masterpieces: Hell's Angels, Fear & Loathing in L.V., and Fear & Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72.

It was tough to even look at what he produced from ~1980 on, let alone read it...too much coke strips away your talent and leaves you but a husk of a person.  HST was living proof of this.  Had it not been for some of his excesses, Hunter S. Thompson would have gone into the Western Canon neck and neck with the likes of Conrad and Nabakov.  He was that good.

It was fitting nontheless that he decided to take his life much the same way his literary hero Hemingway did: rejection of feebleness and thus old age + mental and geographical isolation + firearm + one last pull = r.i.p.

Hemmingway lite (2.20 / 5) (#22)
by minerboy on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 10:45:09 AM EST

Of course in 50 years no one will read any of his trash

There goes one of God's own prototypes [nt] (2.00 / 4) (#23)
by clambake on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 10:46:53 AM EST

A Great Author (2.70 / 10) (#24)
by loteck on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 11:20:32 AM EST

Hunter deserves a better send-off then somebody who puts "I am genuinely in grief" in bold following a period without using a space.

shoo, fly.
"You're in tune to the musical sound of loteck hi-fi, the musical sound that moves right round. Keep on moving ya'll." -Mylakovich
"WHAT AN ETERNAL MOBIUS STRIP OF FELLATIATIC BANALITY THIS IS." -Harry B Otch

Heh. (none / 1) (#38)
by internetslacker on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 01:41:05 PM EST

I wrote this article the exact moment I heard of Thompson's death, so I deeply, deeply apologize for any typos I may have made in grief. Thank you for posting.

www.internetslacker.com www.internetslacker.net www.internetslacker.org

a propos (none / 0) (#39)
by SocratesGhost on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 01:52:29 PM EST

that was the point of HST, to insert his narcissistic self into every aspect of the story.

-Soc
I drank what?

Indeed.. (none / 0) (#41)
by internetslacker on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 02:01:24 PM EST

I'm glad you get one of the subtleties of this article, SocratesGhost...

www.internetslacker.com www.internetslacker.net www.internetslacker.org

now theres a suicide note I'd like to see (nt) (3.00 / 3) (#25)
by army of phred on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 11:37:58 AM EST

"Republicans are evil." lildebbie
"I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about." motormachinemercenary
"my wife is getting a blowjob" ghostoft1ber
Jesus. (2.50 / 4) (#26)
by aristus on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 11:43:52 AM EST

We all expected him to accidentally shoot himself and a few houseguests, but on purpose? Never.

One sick sad bastard. I'll miss him.

??? "A man of imagination among scholars feels like a sodomite at a convention of proctologists." -- Paul West

Very true.. (none / 0) (#53)
by internetslacker on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 04:26:59 PM EST

I hear you...we'll all miss him, my friend.

www.internetslacker.com www.internetslacker.net www.internetslacker.org

suicide says it all (2.16 / 6) (#35)
by scatbubba on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 01:32:22 PM EST

you thought he was great, but he knew otherwise.

He was great (none / 0) (#40)
by internetslacker on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 01:59:27 PM EST

But like most talented people, he had a dark side; sometimes the dark side wins. Very, very sad...he deserved a better fate.

www.internetslacker.com www.internetslacker.net www.internetslacker.org

Oh, nice troll... (none / 0) (#113)
by dpi on Thu Feb 24, 2005 at 05:55:36 PM EST

1) I've not seen the reason he commited suicide. Besides your reason, there are zillion other reasons one may have to commit suicide. I, for one, would seriously consider euthenasia if i'd have certain (terminal) illnesses.
2) His own judgement is not necessarily 'the truth'. Its just another subjective perception. Sure, he may have opinions and facts about himself which we do not know, but that possibility doesn't negate the earlier stated facts and has to be proven first.

In short, your arguments lack any proper back-up. I'm sure there will be more heresay like yours the coming weeks, months. I set my popcorn ready to go because its apparent when someone dies, the Real Thing starts. Fans show their admiration. Opposers start defamation (aka FUD) tactics. Unfortunately for you, yours was far too easy to detect.

My little story on his passing... (2.50 / 2) (#43)
by Drog on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 02:20:11 PM EST

... is here. There are a lot of great quotes from Dr. Gonzo, but my favourite has to be:

"I've never advocated the use of alcohol, drugs, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."

Looking for political forums? Check out "The World Forum". News feed available here on K5.

Great story, Drog (none / 0) (#46)
by internetslacker on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 03:01:43 PM EST

You touched on some very important yet little known facts about Hunter S. Thompson...excellent, concise. I owe you one beer.

www.internetslacker.com www.internetslacker.net www.internetslacker.org

Thanks (none / 0) (#48)
by Drog on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 03:26:58 PM EST

It was really just a summary of other articles meant to promote discussion, not an essay in itself, as I replied to someone else who took issue with it. But thanks for the offer of beer. :)

remember this line? (none / 0) (#52)
by internetslacker on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 04:26:12 PM EST

want some extract of pineal gland? hehe...sigh...ah, Doc, why?

www.internetslacker.com www.internetslacker.net www.internetslacker.org

Heh heh (none / 0) (#70)
by Drog on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 11:07:10 PM EST

Yeah, that was good. From Fear and Loathing, wasn't it? My favourite from that book was, "Where the hell did all these bats come from?" And later, "I didn't tell him about the bats....after a six-pack of Jolt, he would see them soon enough."

Looks like he won the Pepsi challenge. (none / 0) (#45)
by LilDebbie on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 02:49:00 PM EST

Drugs R Fun!

My name is LilDebbie and I have a garden.
- hugin -

yay to self destruction (none / 0) (#55)
by NaCh0 on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 06:20:16 PM EST

There are only 2 gonzo genres that I enjoy. One has muppets and the other stars Ed Powers.

K5: Your daily dose of socialism.
dark side? (none / 1) (#59)
by scatbubba on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 08:48:41 PM EST

He's not a super hero. Just some dude. So he wrote some interesting stuff. Lots of people kill them self. Mainly because they hate their life and hate themselves.

hey wiseguy (none / 1) (#98)
by Cloud Cuckoo on Tue Feb 22, 2005 at 08:02:25 PM EST

after you kill yourself, you can tell us why you did it.

not necessarily true... (none / 0) (#111)
by ckaminski on Thu Feb 24, 2005 at 05:04:50 PM EST

I've had this morbid fascination with death every since my great grandmother died in front of me when I was 4 or 5... dead things don't affect me, people dying don't affect me.  I'm very much looking forward to my death.  Don't get me wrong, I'm in no hurry, I love my life, but at some point the situation might be just right, jobs done, widowed, grandkids grown up... I might accelerate the process a bit.

I don't blame HST one bit.  And I wonder if I'm the only one of my friends who enjoyed his work can understand why he might WANT to do this on his terms.

No, he's no hero.  I'm not a big fan.  Fear & Loathing really only appealed to me because I was tripping my balls off on mushrooms the first time I saw it.  I got to live his vision.  :-/  It's the first time I felt right and normal while tripping...

Anyhow, I've tried reading his writings, and they're just too... stream of consciousness for me.  Not a big fan.

Peace.

Being desensitised to death... (none / 0) (#123)
by HollyHopDrive on Mon Feb 28, 2005 at 11:41:15 AM EST

...doesn't mean you're actively looking forward to it. If you saw a grand piano falling out of the sky, would you run to stand under it?

I make too much sense to be on the Internet.

Torn between (none / 1) (#61)
by Kasreyn on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 08:59:11 PM EST

dumping this for being incoherent and sloppily emotional, or voting it up for not being a dry, emotionless typical obit.

At first I thought it was your typical k5 hoax. I, too, never imagined Hunter would do this. I have to get on the phone to a friend of mine who's a huge fan of his and break the news, if he hasn't heard. Man, that's gonna suck for him.

I think people deserve obits that are a bit more than a bloodless retelling of facts. Not sure if they need to be this flowery, though.

...and a little voice in my head says "at least we still have Kurt Vonnegut".

"Extenuating circumstance to be mentioned on Judgement Day:
We never asked to be born in the first place."

R.I.P. Kurt. You will be missed.
P.S. (none / 0) (#66)
by Kasreyn on Mon Feb 21, 2005 at 10:05:25 PM EST

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." -Hunter Thompson.

"Extenuating circumstance to be mentioned on Judgement Day:
We never asked to be born in the first place."

R.I.P. Kurt. You will be missed.
Huh. (none / 0) (#81)
by Cat Huggles on Tue Feb 22, 2005 at 03:35:25 AM EST

I thought he was already dead for years now. (Not in the medical sense, mind you).

+1, fails to mention bats (none / 1) (#90)
by creature on Tue Feb 22, 2005 at 09:33:57 AM EST

Well done for resisting the temptation to work in those bloody bats into the article. Beyond that, it's far too snivelly for me to actually +1 it so you get a big fat +0. Yay mathematics.

Drug-centric eulogies. (2.25 / 4) (#94)
by vera on Tue Feb 22, 2005 at 12:51:57 PM EST

Very nice, now how about something about his life more than the drugs he used.

Having read nearly everything he's written, including the two volumes of letters released so far, I know there's more important and interesting aspects to the man's life than what has been doing the eulogizing circuit these past couple days.

Thompsons best writing (none / 1) (#100)
by cga on Wed Feb 23, 2005 at 05:26:32 AM EST

Was about the failures of the 60s.
An opportunity was wasted.
The kids stayed high, the bad guys won.

And that, I think, was the handle -- that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting -- on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave . . .
So now, less than five years later, you can go up a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eye you can almost see the high-water mark -- that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

Hunter S. Thompson
Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas:
A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream
1971

This may be the year when we finally come face to face with ourselves; finally just lay back and say it -- that we are really just a nation of 220 million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns, and no qualms at all about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.

Hunter S. Thompson on the Reelection of Richard Nixon
Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail
November 1972

Repost (none / 0) (#101)
by godix on Wed Feb 23, 2005 at 01:33:25 PM EST

Since the author of this article apparently likes to wait till the article passed then goes back and tries to censors any comments he dislikes I thought I'd repost this editorial comment I made as a topical. Go ahead and zero it again internetslacker, I can easily cut and paste it yet another comment. If you had just left it be then it would never have been seen again since it was editorial.

If I set out to be as disrespectful as possible to HST I doubt I could do better job than you've done with your cheap ass bad imitation of his writing style in his obit. This is about as tasteless as if someone wrote 'So the surgeon fucked up and now he's dead. He gets no respect.' in Rodney Dangerfields obit.

- An egotist is someone who thinks they're almost as good as I am.

Calm down (none / 0) (#125)
by internetslacker on Tue Mar 01, 2005 at 04:07:31 AM EST

I acknowledge I posted this in a fit of grief. You may continue your hatred.

www.internetslacker.com www.internetslacker.net www.internetslacker.org

Is there some new way... (none / 0) (#105)
by destroyallofit on Thu Feb 24, 2005 at 03:41:16 AM EST

...to game the queue?
I'm pretty bummed about HST's death, but I expect a hell of a lot better from the darwinian process of the k5 queue. This just doesn't deserve to be here. I'm very sorry I missed dumping this article.

Look at the final score (none / 0) (#116)
by godix on Fri Feb 25, 2005 at 05:20:59 AM EST

5. The article got posted with a 5. The queue wasn't gamed, it's just that the threshold has been lowered so much that someone could probably submit their grocery list and get SP.

- An egotist is someone who thinks they're almost as good as I am.
From his last ESPN.com article (none / 0) (#121)
by badtux on Sat Feb 26, 2005 at 02:29:16 PM EST

The American nation is in the worst condition I can remember in my lifetime, and our prospects for the immediate future are even worse. I am surprised and embarrassed to be a part of the first American generation to leave the country in far worse shape than it was when we first came into it. Our highway system is crumbling, our police are dishonest, our children are poor, our vaunted Social Security, once the envy of the world, has been looted and neglected and destroyed by the same gang of ignorant greed-crazed bastards who brought us Vietnam, Afghanistan, the disastrous Gaza Strip and ignominious defeat all over the world.

The Stock Market will never come back, our Armies will never again be No. 1, and our children will drink filthy water for the rest of our lives.

The Bush family must be very proud of themselves today, but I am not. Big Darkness, soon come. Take my word for it.

Indeed, HST, indeed. And we as a nation probably even deserve it, after the evils we have done the past few years out of terror, hate, and fear.

- Badtux the Saddened Penguin
In a time of chimpanzees, I was a penguin

Oh, HST. (none / 0) (#124)
by HollyHopDrive on Mon Feb 28, 2005 at 11:48:35 AM EST

Until you died, I had never heard of you.

I make too much sense to be on the Internet.

The Ginger Man (none / 0) (#128)
by somar on Tue Mar 01, 2005 at 12:39:01 PM EST

I read this book was one of his favorites. Has anyone else heard this? I plan to re-read it

lol (none / 0) (#129)
by im stupid on Wed Mar 02, 2005 at 12:55:56 PM EST

this is the gayest troll ever.
-----
lol
Why I Gave up Drugs (none / 0) (#130)
by T818 on Mon Mar 07, 2005 at 05:26:44 PM EST

Basically trips were turning out like 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas'. What Thompson refused to see was 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas' was the end of the line. Besides being very hard on the system drugs failed to deliver revelatory experiences certainly at least consistently. But Thompson just kept on taking drugs. Still 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas' is a great book.

All of this drivel. (none / 0) (#131)
by blacksunrise on Tue Mar 08, 2005 at 08:11:15 AM EST

And not one of you noticed that it was a RED convertable he drove to Vegas. Shame on you k5-ers.

"He who angers you conquers you."~Elizabeth Kenny