Ani Difranco - Not Angry Anymore

By minerboy in Culture
Wed Aug 03, 2005 at 06:44:50 AM EST
Tags: Music (all tags)
Music

This week marks the end of the 2005 summer tour of Ani Difranco, radical songstress, and righteous babe. I was lucky enough to be on hand at one of the last concerts given as part of this tour. Now I know what you're saying, given the political leanings of the majority of my posts here on k5, what am I, minerboy, doing ass deep in hippies and lesbians, in a concert hall reeking of patchouli, and sweaty Birkenstocks ?

I can answer that in one word - guitar. Ani Difranco is one of this generations most innovative and talented guitarists, and guitar trumps politics every time. As a fringe benefit, Mrs. minerboy has been wanting to see "Ani" in concert for years, so I could pick up brownie points with the wife(always a good thing). Last, the "Earth Mama" type of female has always been one of my favorites (ranking just behind the "cheap slut", and probably tied with the "biker chick"), so the prospect of being packed in with hundreds of braless earth mama's was not so bad.

The evening began with a bit of luck. Because of some overbooking, we were able to get seats right down front, in amongst the most devout of the Ani fans. Yes, there I was, a 45 year old paunchy bald conservative seated next to scores of enraptured young anarchosocialisticfemminazi's. Thank god I have a beard, so I looked like I was with the other old guy passing out the underground newspaper.

But the brief feeling social discomfort was well worth it. I had direct view of every nuanced note, every chord. Her guitar style roams from the nearly flamenco, percussive styles reminiscent of Paco DeLucia and Al DiMeola, to rhythmic open tuning work that rivals Leo Kottke. She plays sort of fingerstyle, with taped fingers and nails/fingerpick-like things, and has a guitar collection that would make George Gruhn drool. Everything from an old 1940ish Dreadnaught (Gibson?) for the percussive open tuning songs, to an odd 4 string tenor archtop Veronica for some of the quieter songs. At the same time, she interlaces the intricate guitar work with lyrics that make you think she must be the bastard daughter of Bob Dylan, and Sylvia Plath.

Years of performing has left Difranco as a consummate professional. Her live performance is far and away better than her CD's. Her stage presence rivals that of the greats, at one moment grimacing and hopping like Ian Anderson, the next giving a coy wink to her bassist ala Joni Mitchell. All this at the end of a grueling tour that left her asking the audience - where am I tonight ?? Maturity has also tempered 35 year old Ani. She has come to terms with her life, apparently. Gone were the angry rants of the past. Sure there was the obligatory illegal war vs Blowjob impeachment comment, and the global warming-Yucca mountain are bad comment, but the political commentary has receded some in favor of a more mature look at the world, I don't think she's so angry any more, and I think she believes that you can care enough without being all that angry about things.

Sadly, Ani will not be touring much in the near future. Age is finally catching up with the diminutive troubadour, leaving her with tendonitis, and other repetitive stress injuries. As the show progressed, the degree of the injury became clear, with Ani shaking her arm often to relieve cramping. At one point, this was so noticeable the crowd hushed (maybe expecting an end to the concert) a lone voice called out "we'll miss you". Down front, we could see the tear in the eye, as she began the next song, warrior-like, dropping to her knees in front of the adoring audience. And much like "the Grinch" my heart probably grew bigger at that moment. There are few voices so eloquent, and willing to speak to those young outcasts, that can give them hope, and raise them up beyond expectations. I hope she's back on the road soon.

o Ani Difranco
o Al DiMeola,
o Leo Kottke
o George Gruhn
o 4 string tenor archtop Veronica
o Sylvia Plath.
o Also by minerboy

Ani Difranco - Not Angry Anymore | 127 comments (118 topical, 9 editorial, 0 hidden)
Tendonitis Eh? (1.50 / 2) (#1)
by unknownlamer on Mon Aug 01, 2005 at 11:13:18 AM EST

It's her own fault. If you are going to be a professional musician, and tour heavily (as most must do in order to eat) you must also learn to play your instrument properly so that you don't hurt yourself.

A guitarist has to watch out for his body just as much as a singer has to watch out for his vocal cords.

<vladl> I am reading the making of the atomic bong - modern science
Come on. (3.00 / 8) (#29)
by fyngyrz on Tue Aug 02, 2005 at 12:50:32 AM EST

As a long-time (40 years) guitarist, a studio owner, and martial arts instructor, I know a practical thing or two about how the body responds to repetitive motion, and how much anatomy, dominance, and methodology affect wear and tear, and how much luck plays into it with regard to genetic and infectious disease processes.

I am with you, absolutely, that one should take care of oneself and use the best known methods you can apply in the practical execution of your art -- however, it is by no means certain that even the utmost diligence in these matters will result in 100% functioning of the involved body parts after heavy use -- people are different and there are those who will do "the right things" and still suffer various debilitating effects from tendonitis to arthritis to skin diseases and worse.

That goes for singers, too. You can take exquisite care of your throat and get wrecked anyway by everything from a virus to cancer to something systemic no one manages to put a finger on -- sometimes until it is too late -- for instance celiac disease, which can be difficult to diagnose, and can also be absolute murder on your general well-being because your nutrition is being screwed with in a way that can be very difficult to detect. And which is not the fault of the person who has the disease -- they can be eating properly, doing all the right things, etc., and they're just hammered anyway.

Another factor is that music is very much an interactive art, and music performance in front of a crowd can be transcendent, and the artist may be inspired to perform at the edge of the envelope for the crowd -- and that can be too much. But they did it in symbiosis, if you will, with the audience and I don't think it calls for condemnation, more like appreciation.

Even imitation, doing covers, can get you. Sometimes, working on Joe Satriani passages, I am somewhat painfully reminded that I am 50 years old and that some things aren't working as well as they used to. And brother, I am careful with my hands, arms, posture, you name it, and I have exquisite instruments to play.

So... unless you know Ms. Guitar-chick personally and know for a fact she's been careless and/or irresponsible with her resources, I suggest you cut her some slack. She's going to have to back off, and she's unhappy about it. Show a little tenderness, eh?

And for Darwin's sake, don't compare her to Dylan, like the article's author did. Such cruelty is downright uncivilized.

Blog, Photos.

Let's not hold youthful indiscretion against her (1.25 / 12) (#2)
by Adam Rightmann on Mon Aug 01, 2005 at 11:33:41 AM EST

The pressure for young females of a liberal bent to succumb to the manipulations of the vast Homosexual Conspiracy (itself a puppet of the even vast Communist Party) is incredible, so much that there's an acronym for it, LUG, Lesbians Until Graduation. I suspect Ms. DiFranco succumbed to something similar, but now as she's gotten older and more mature, she's realized the error of her ways.

Indeed, I'm looking forward to her continued maturation, to the point where she performs for Breeder Reactor Benefits and protests against the Muhammedan persecution of Christians in Africa.

Remember folks, it's never too late to become right thinking, moral and straight member of society!

The LUG is itself an evolution of the FYN (1.50 / 2) (#3)
by The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy on Mon Aug 01, 2005 at 11:40:39 AM EST

The first year neohippy.

___
I'm a pompous windbag, I take myself far too seriously, and I single-handedly messed up K5 by causing the fiction section to be created. --localroger

the lvl 4 form of the drama geek en tee (2.00 / 3) (#4)
by tylermoody on Mon Aug 01, 2005 at 12:05:31 PM EST

oh (2.66 / 3) (#9)
by khallow on Mon Aug 01, 2005 at 03:52:35 PM EST

Sounds like a nethack class. I bet they get a +1 blessed troubadour hat with an ostrich feather and +0 cape. And a marker, art portfolio, and +2 weighty tome (which you can wield as a weapon or read for its bad poetry!). And 4 tripe rations.

Stating the obvious since 1969.

Your schtick has gotten really old, man (none / 0) (#5)
by jongleur on Mon Aug 01, 2005 at 02:34:43 PM EST

Find some other way to exercise your imagination.
"If you can't imagine a better way let silence bury you" - Midnight Oil
You got it backwards, man. (none / 0) (#61)
by cburke on Tue Aug 02, 2005 at 10:02:33 PM EST

The Communist Conspiracy is a puppet of the far more vast Homosexual Conspiracy.

Everyone knows that.

Do you make love to your sweatervest? nt (none / 0) (#95)
by Veritech on Thu Aug 04, 2005 at 04:50:44 PM EST

Ani, Politics, and Dick Cheney's iPod (none / 1) (#8)
by thelizman on Mon Aug 01, 2005 at 03:19:25 PM EST

Now I know what your saying, given the political leanings of the majority of my posts here on k5, what am I, minerboy, doing ass deep in hippies and lesbians, in a concert hall reeking of patchouli, and sweaty Birkenstocks ?

She also picks a pretty mean banjo. I love Ani's music, even if I despise her politics. I once came within twelve feet of her after she gave a talk pimping Dennis Kucinich, and I could wait to ask her what she thought of the revelation that some of her music is found on Dick Cheney's iPod.

It is a shame that so many talented performers tend to exploit their popularity to further their politics. It's fractionalizing, and does nothing beneficial for the political process. It's also a terrible cliché that tends to shorten both careers. An anyone name the last thing they actually saw with Jeanine Garafalo in it?

"Our language is sufficiently clumsy enough to allow us to believe foolish things." - George Orwell
Yeah it hurt the Beatles. (2.50 / 2) (#12)
by tthomas48 on Mon Aug 01, 2005 at 07:02:11 PM EST

If it shortens careers then what happened to Dave Matthews Band, Radiohead, Audioslave, Nirvana, Bob Dylan... do I need to go on? Really, it appears to have only shortened the career prospects of bands that support conservative causes. Puddle of Mudd, anyone?

You mention that you thought it was "a shame that so many talented performers tend to exploit their popularity to further their politics", but why is that a shame? Business Leaders are doing it. All the other millionaires are doing it. Why should artists be silent?

It's in fact a laughable idea since most artists are at least partially motivated by politics. A large amount of fantastic music was created as a response to Reagan, Bush I, and Bush II. You should take pride in knowing that your backwards political views have helped to create some of the best art on the planet. Although Nixon supporters probably helped create the best Rock and Roll ever. Heck, they even had the Monkees singing vaguely political songs.

it's helped right-wing groups too (none / 0) (#35)
by Delirium on Tue Aug 02, 2005 at 05:12:49 AM EST

Boyd Rice being a Social Darwinist hasn't hurt his career at all; quite the contrary. And Skrewdriver's popularity surged enormously when they changed from being "yet another Oi! band" to "a racist Oi! band".

Who? n/t (none / 0) (#66)
by codejack on Tue Aug 02, 2005 at 11:00:19 PM EST

Please read before posting.

arguably the inventor of noise music (n/t) (none / 0) (#71)
by Delirium on Wed Aug 03, 2005 at 06:10:56 AM EST

Earth to Thomas (2.00 / 2) (#38)
by thelizman on Tue Aug 02, 2005 at 07:54:50 AM EST

Dave Matthews Band, Radiohead, Audioslave, Nirvana, Bob Dylan
Who? I'm serious, do you see any of these people anywhere in the top 40? Lets see, Bob Dylan is a commodity, and most people today who weren't alive 20 years ago couldn't name a single song he's done. Nirvana. They never did politics as a group. I am by far the biggest Nirvana-head in the next six states, so don't even fuck with thier reputation. Audioslave fizzled (partially owing to how much their music really does suck) and Radiohead had one hit back in 1994 with Creep. Lastly, DMB is about as popular as Ani is, which is to say most people wouldn't know who she was unless you played "Angry".

Alleging that "a large amount of fantastic music was created in response to Reagan, Bush I, and Bush II" - Name one fucking song! The 60's are over, and you're not going to bring them back. Attempting to encourage some mix of politics and popular culture is as pathetic as your idea of "good music".

Oh you mean Top-40 "artists" (3.00 / 2) (#48)
by tthomas48 on Tue Aug 02, 2005 at 01:12:10 PM EST

First you say DMB is as popular as Ani? Do you have any concept of the real world? DMB is huge, they are (ironically) owned by every frat boy in America. Ani is not that popular.

Radiohead sells a lot of records even though they may no longer have hits. I believe every one of their past albums has charted. And O.K. Computer still sells like gang busters.

To attack your "political bands are no longer around" rant. There are quite a few artists currently charting who are political. Two of whom you said were out of the public eye, no longer popular, what not.

Dave Matthews Band - currently charting.
Audioslave - (that fizzled band) currently charting
Green Day - currently charting and with a liberal poltical rock opera album no less
Kanye West - currently charting
System of a Down - currently charting with an anti-war song

So quite frankly you don't know what you're talking about. And you may be the biggest Nirvana head in the next six states, but I'm afraid "In Bloom" may have been written just for you. Here's an interview with Kurt in "the Advocate". Oh then there's this news story about Krist and Dave appearing at a John Kerry rally. So when you're saying they never did politics as a group, what exactly are you saying? They were and still are political.

I've provided the appropriate lyrics from In Bloom in case you've forgotten.

He's the one
Who likes all our pretty songs
And he likes to sing along
And he likes to shoot his gun
But he don't know what it means

Ironically? (none / 0) (#53)
by NoBeardPete on Tue Aug 02, 2005 at 04:24:08 PM EST

What's so ironic about fraternity brother owning Dave Matthews Band albums? I believe the band's violinist is a fraternity member. Are people in fraternities supposed to have different musical tastes in some way?

Arrr, it be the infamous pirate, No Beard Pete!

Ironic (none / 0) (#56)
by tthomas48 on Tue Aug 02, 2005 at 05:20:27 PM EST

The irony being that the sterotype is for fraternity brothers to be more conservative. It is not ironic that people in frats could enjoy music.

Aaah, Stereotypes (none / 0) (#106)
by thelizman on Sat Aug 06, 2005 at 10:18:22 AM EST

I'm supposed to take you seriously when you operate on stereotypes? That's something you, these so-called "political bands", and the KKK all have in common.

Yes you are to take me seriously. (none / 0) (#111)
by tthomas48 on Sat Aug 06, 2005 at 06:13:44 PM EST

Everyone operates on stereotypes, jackass. You just put three together in your last comment blasting me for using stereotypes.

Mystery Men :-) [nt] (none / 0) (#17)
by Smiley K on Mon Aug 01, 2005 at 09:25:18 PM EST

-- Someone set up us the bomb.
Really (1.66 / 3) (#22)
by C Montgomery Burns on Mon Aug 01, 2005 at 09:50:49 PM EST

would you put Charlton Heston or, say, Ronald Reagan into that category?  After all, both of them used their celebrity status to push a political agenda.
ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
Intelligent design
Hey, Clueless (1.40 / 5) (#37)
by thelizman on Tue Aug 02, 2005 at 07:47:37 AM EST

Neither were actors when they pursued their political career. My point stands, even if you're too much of a moron to understand it.

The point stands (3.00 / 4) (#41)
by rusty on Tue Aug 02, 2005 at 09:52:41 AM EST

My point stands, even if you're too much of a moron to understand it.

Your point, of course, was "I don't like it when actors and musicians promote politics I don't agree with."

The point does stand.

____
Not the real rusty

Indeed (1.50 / 2) (#46)
by C Montgomery Burns on Tue Aug 02, 2005 at 12:17:57 PM EST

Even if they were no longer active actors, they certainly used the celebrity they gained from acting to push their politics.
ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
Intelligent design
Hey Troll Boy (none / 0) (#105)
by thelizman on Sat Aug 06, 2005 at 10:14:59 AM EST

The point is that actors and musicians shouldn't exploit their fame for political purposes. It's no wonder you can't fix the search; you're too busy being a political hack to be a software hack.

Troll boy indeed (none / 0) (#107)
by rusty on Sat Aug 06, 2005 at 10:59:50 AM EST

Reagan, Heston. You haven't said anything to contradict the oft-repeated criticism of the right's fame police.

____
Not the real rusty
Pay attention (none / 0) (#117)
by thelizman on Sun Aug 07, 2005 at 07:14:43 PM EST

I hate having to repeat myself. Reagan and Heston ceased their acting when they became politically active. And just because your hypocritical ass hasn't seen my criticisms of right wing actors getting into politics (owing in part to the abject lack of them), doesn't mean it doesn't/won't/can't happen. Go fix search.

How about Arnold? (none / 0) (#120)
by rusty on Mon Aug 08, 2005 at 07:03:24 AM EST

You criticize him?

____
Not the real rusty
I've been wondering about that too (none / 0) (#123)
by C Montgomery Burns on Tue Aug 09, 2005 at 12:08:26 PM EST

thelizman dodged it when I asked about Arnold.  Troll Boy, indeed.
ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
Intelligent design
heh, "Troll Boy" (none / 0) (#124)
by C Montgomery Burns on Tue Aug 09, 2005 at 12:12:40 PM EST

Your eventual response to just about anyone who disagrees with you is to label them some variety of "troll".
ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
Intelligent design
Way to go, smart guy (2.00 / 3) (#45)
by C Montgomery Burns on Tue Aug 02, 2005 at 12:16:28 PM EST

what Rusty said.

Another example:  the current Governor of California.  How about him?  Or is he no longer an actor as well?

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
Intelligent design

Face it, Rock and Roll is political... (2.66 / 6) (#10)
by nostalgiphile on Mon Aug 01, 2005 at 04:26:54 PM EST

And I'm having a hard time thinking of rock bands with a College Republican target audience. Hell, I challenge you to name one decent band that sang about raiding a pension fund, the injustices of the inheritance tax, or the intricacies of date raping a cheerleader.

"Depending on your perspective you are an optimist or a pessimist[,] and a hopeless one too." --trhurler
Responding in kind (none / 0) (#11)
by LilDebbie on Mon Aug 01, 2005 at 06:51:52 PM EST

Ignoring your examples of College Republican behavior (in my experience, they're just a bunch of stupid business students trying to pad their resumes, which is why I never joined them and just went straight for the Party itself), I humbly submit an older band whose target audience includes Neocons:  Rage Against the Machine.

Remember, they had a problem with Cold War interventions, but I imagine they would support the overthrow of despotic regimes (though they might support popular revolt immediately after...).

My name is LilDebbie and I have a garden.
- hugin -

Anyone who doubts the love Neocons hold for RATM (none / 1) (#16)
by your_desired_username on Mon Aug 01, 2005 at 08:23:44 PM EST

should read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rage_Against_The_Machine
:-)

I didn't see anything about neocons there (none / 0) (#58)
by jongleur on Tue Aug 02, 2005 at 09:03:54 PM EST

unless it's the list of causes RATM supported.
"If you can't imagine a better way let silence bury you" - Midnight Oil
Mmmm....nope. (none / 0) (#33)
by nostalgiphile on Tue Aug 02, 2005 at 01:59:17 AM EST

Let's think about this. Elvis: considered by southern conservatives to have niggra blood in 'im cuz of the way he danced and sang. They were right, Rock's roots are set deep in the soil of racial disatisfaction and owes a huge debt to southern blacks' development of rhythm and blues.

Race aside, The Beatles "Back in the USSR" (commie babes are more beutiful) <1968> can be given as another early example of "political rock n roll." Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Joplin, et al playing at Woodstock to great leftist, anti-war acclaim is another.

Punk in both the UK and US, is dominated by leftwing anarchists who sing about the tyranny of the state. Sure, there are exceptions to all of the above and you get the occasional rightwing band or heavy metal skinhead, but these are exceptions. Rock's roots are in the political folk music of black America (the blues) and the even more political music of poor whites (blue grass/folk of Guthrie, Dylan, Cash, et al).

Jimi was far right man (none / 0) (#59)
by tweetsybefore on Tue Aug 02, 2005 at 09:05:47 PM EST

he wasn't a leftist.

I'm racist and I hate niggers.
RATM (none / 0) (#74)
by theboz on Wed Aug 03, 2005 at 12:52:25 PM EST

They were very far to the left. There's nothing conservative about overthrowing despotic regimes anyway. After all, the Republicans vote for Bush. Plus, we did not overthrow a despotic regime in Iraq and exchange it for something better. We overthrew it to create anarchy and we have left the place in a much worse situation than it was prior to our invasion. Any musician who would favor that is an inhumane monster.

Stuff.

I was and is not in favor of that war, but... (none / 0) (#77)
by BerntB on Wed Aug 03, 2005 at 05:29:48 PM EST

I am not exactly in favor of the Iraq war and I consider Bush a disgusting religious fanatic, but your description is not serious!

We overthrew [Saddam's regime] to create anarchy and we have left the place in a much worse situation than it was prior to our invasion.
The peace is worse than the war -- and has been mismanaged. But you write as if they didn't try to make a better place. And that seems to me as stupid propaganda. Why wouldn't they?

It is a damn difficult job and they have f.cked up, but still -- they tried to make it much better and might still succeed.

Consider the hundreds of thousands of Kurds and Shia murdered by Saddam. Any losses to date has probably been much smaller than what that murdering bastard's family would have gone through before they were kicked out.

(Just consider: How many thousands of people a year did the secret police torture and murder?)

We might get an Arab democracy in Iraq. Which, in the end, would make the world a much better place. USA might fail in Iraq -- but it was a good try.

(My reason for not approving of the war is mainly that I don't think it is worth the cost for the probability of success. But I don't know much about the mid-east situation.)

Rock is generally not political (none / 1) (#24)
by minerboy on Mon Aug 01, 2005 at 10:54:52 PM EST

Folk (well and folk rock, and later punk) on the other hand is political, and has been left wing from the 30's, Since Woody Guthrie. The nature of the music has always been rebelious, even back to Irish songs of rebellion. The real rebelious far right wing music is around, like oi, and other skinhead music, and is socially unacceptable almost everywhere (someplaces it is probably illegal). The little that I've heard isn't very good anyway, so no real loss.

depends (none / 0) (#27)
by Big Sexxy Joe on Tue Aug 02, 2005 at 12:35:39 AM EST

There's plenty of political rock.  Actually metal is especially political.  The overriding tendency is to be liberal of course.

Democracy Now! - your daily, uncensored, corporate-free grassroots news hour
Poilitical music (none / 0) (#40)
by rusty on Tue Aug 02, 2005 at 09:42:39 AM EST

I was just reading a book about the Enlightenment in France, and apparently during the leadup to the French revolution, newspapers as we would understand them were illegal in France, and one of the main ways news (and editorial) was spread was through songs. There were a number of songs with well known tunes, and people would make up and pass around verses to them describing the latest outrages of the King and so forth. These songs were taken very seriously in court and people were arrested and interrogated in efforts by the ruling powers to find the authors of them.

Just another interesting example of the long history of political music.

____
Not the real rusty

Sounds like football songs (none / 0) (#55)
by The Diary Section on Tue Aug 02, 2005 at 05:00:57 PM EST

I do a lot of singing when I go to a game but then my club of choice is somewhat famed for it. It lifts the team and terrifies the opposition (so the argument goes anyway, probably more the former than the latter).

New words come and go to reflect changes in the team (normally stupid puns on the player's name) or to wind up the opposition with a little "light satire". Kind of funny how these things spread around a mob of 45 thousand people.

Bit OT, but here's something I've always wondered; do American sports fans sing at games?
Spend 10 minutes in the company of an American and you end up feeling like a Keats or a Shelley: Thin, brilliant, suave, and desperate for industrial-scale quantities of opium.

Americans? Singing? (none / 0) (#67)
by rusty on Tue Aug 02, 2005 at 11:23:36 PM EST

do American sports fans sing at games?

No, not generally. Sometimes the soccer fans do, but that's just because they've spent their lives watching the rest of the world play. Football, basketball, and soccer fans don't sing much more than the "nah-nah-nah-nah go-ood bye" song.

____
Not the real rusty

Preview first, dummy (none / 0) (#68)
by rusty on Tue Aug 02, 2005 at 11:24:07 PM EST

Of course I meant football, basketball, and baseball.

____
Not the real rusty
Sing (none / 0) (#78)
by student on Wed Aug 03, 2005 at 07:24:57 PM EST

Take me out to the ball game,
Take me out with the crowd.
Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack,
I don't care if I never get back,
Let me root, root, root for the home team,
If they don't win it's a shame.
For it's one, two, three strikes, you're out,
At the old ball game.

¤¤¤¤¤¤
Simon's Rock College of Bard, a college for younger scholars.
Or the national anthem? (nt) (none / 0) (#84)
by ensignyu on Thu Aug 04, 2005 at 04:48:41 AM EST

Creed (none / 1) (#101)
by DoorFrame on Fri Aug 05, 2005 at 01:30:42 PM EST

Creed (thankfully they're not around that much anymore) seemed to be something of a conservative rock band.  I always remember the lyrics to "One" being vocally anti-affirmative action... it stood out as a weird topic for a rock song:

Affirmative may be justified take from one give to another
The goal is to be unified take my hand be my brother
The payment silenced the masses sanctified by oppression
Unity took a back seat sliding further into regression

(chorus)

One oh One the only way is One
I feel angry I feel helpless, want to change the world
I feel violent I feel alone, don't try and change my mind
Society blind by color why hold down one to raise another
Discrimination now on both sides seeds of hate blossom further
The world is heading for mutiny, when all we want is unity
We may rise and fall, but in the end we meet our fate together

(chorus)

Perhaps... (2.33 / 6) (#13)
by tthomas48 on Mon Aug 01, 2005 at 07:04:15 PM EST

Perhaps you should look into why great music is made by liberals... that might make an intersting story.

IAWTP (none / 0) (#18)
by Smiley K on Mon Aug 01, 2005 at 09:27:32 PM EST

Liberals and homosexuals (ask what's the difference if you must...) Four dead in Ohio was an instant hit. I don't expect a top 40 "nuke the rag-heads" any time soon.
-- Someone set up us the bomb.
Ahem, Darryl Worley, Toby Keith (none / 0) (#21)
by nlscb on Mon Aug 01, 2005 at 09:45:25 PM EST

Have you forgotten? Such great hits - such great tunes ...

Why do you hate America?

Comment Search has returned - Like a beaten wife, I am pathetically grateful. - mr strange

Such great rednecks (1.50 / 2) (#50)
by tthomas48 on Tue Aug 02, 2005 at 01:16:12 PM EST

See also currently charting
Green Day
Kayne West
Audioslave
Dave Matthews Band

Trust me there are way more liberal political artists charting on any given day then there will ever be conservatives. Because by definition you really can't be a "conservative" artist. That's a bit of an oxymoron. You can be a "conservative" performer who makes singles, but you probably won't have any staying power. The only conservative artist I can think of is Dee Dee Ramon and I think he was only successful because he was surrounded by 3 people who didn't think like he did. If he hadn't had the rest of the band he probably would have been an accountant or something...

You misunderstood (none / 1) (#87)
by Veritech on Thu Aug 04, 2005 at 09:18:38 AM EST

He said great music, not grating music.

Fucking hippie liberals [n/t] (none / 1) (#28)
by AlwaysAnonymized on Tue Aug 02, 2005 at 12:47:20 AM EST

FUCKING HIPERAL LIPPIES! /NT (none / 1) (#44)
by CAPS LOCK on Tue Aug 02, 2005 at 10:24:00 AM EST

Grats on seeing a concert (1.75 / 4) (#15)
by joecool12321 on Mon Aug 01, 2005 at 08:22:01 PM EST

You seeing Ani Difranco no more merits a k5 article than my seeing The Killers.

Great diary entry, though

You seeing a movie (none / 1) (#19)
by Smiley K on Mon Aug 01, 2005 at 09:28:58 PM EST

is not an article. You expounding upon the cultural meaning of the movie is. +1FP.
-- Someone set up us the bomb.
WTF (3.00 / 2) (#23)
by joecool12321 on Mon Aug 01, 2005 at 10:06:19 PM EST

The Killers is a band, and there's no 'cultural significance' above.

No cultural significance from The Killers, either. (none / 0) (#86)
by Veritech on Thu Aug 04, 2005 at 09:17:16 AM EST

Just badly rehashed 80's new wave.

Andrew Bird - the new artist on Righteous Babe (none / 0) (#20)
by sien on Mon Aug 01, 2005 at 09:36:21 PM EST

Ani Difranco's record label Righteous Babe Records has picked up a new artist called Andrew Bird who is also well worth a listen. If you like Ani Difranco there is a good chance that you'll like Andrew and even if you don't like Ani you may well like Andrew. He is less political.

Andrew whistles and plays violin and records what he has played and then plays the loop back and plays over it. It's a very technically impressive thing that works really well.

Apparently he's also good in concert.

There is an interview with him and other stuff to listen to over at his website.

Great in concert (none / 0) (#83)
by yet another coward on Thu Aug 04, 2005 at 01:43:44 AM EST

He was the opener for one concert I attended. I never had heard of him. I made sure to see him when he came back through town headlining. It was great. The looping act works very well. He is a good one man band. He also has some nerd cred. I heard him bring up science and language topics.

+1fp -- music rules (none / 0) (#26)
by fyngyrz on Tue Aug 02, 2005 at 12:17:17 AM EST

Very nice, except for the Dylan comment. That was just... well, nasty. Ugh. Dylan. Now I'm going to have to go poke out my mind's eye.

Blog, Photos.

Interestingly enough (1.33 / 12) (#30)
by Big Sexxy Joe on Tue Aug 02, 2005 at 01:07:51 AM EST

I'm a socialist but I enjoy the band Anal Cunt.  They are actually a far right-wing band.  Some of their hits include "I Went Back In Time and Voted For Hitler," "I'm Glad Jazz Faggots Don't Like Us Anymore,"  "I Became A Counselor So I Could Tell Rape Victims They Asked For It," "Sweatshops Are Cool," and "Domestic Violence Is Really Really Really Funny."

Democracy Now! - your daily, uncensored, corporate-free grassroots news hour
No one likes Anal Cunt (3.00 / 2) (#31)
by eumenides on Tue Aug 02, 2005 at 01:12:54 AM EST

but many idiots pretend to so they can post the "funny-offensive" titles on message boards, even though we don't care.

ha ha ha.

Can you prove your assertion? (none / 0) (#32)
by Big Sexxy Joe on Tue Aug 02, 2005 at 01:57:34 AM EST

Anal Cunt entertains me.  Also there music is actually pretty good when you get used to it.  It's more interesting than most other music.  You might even say that they are Avant Garde.

Also, people do pay money to go to their shows and buy their records.  They couldn't get popular without fans.

Anyway, why would you zero a comment which you reply to?  Was it a good discussion provoking comment or are you just replying to add to bad discussion?

Democracy Now! - your daily, uncensored, corporate-free grassroots news hour

About the zero (none / 1) (#54)
by eumenides on Tue Aug 02, 2005 at 04:58:37 PM EST

I'm not sure. You must've said something stupid in the past (perhaps about the London bombings). Or maybe I'm wrong. Whatever.

I think everyone has (none / 0) (#57)
by Big Sexxy Joe on Tue Aug 02, 2005 at 07:28:23 PM EST

So are you saying you zeroed my comment because you think you don't like a comment I made before but you don't remember?  That is astoundingly poor reasoning on your part.

And you haven't answered my question.  Why would you zero a comment which you reply to?  Was it a good discussion provoking comment or are you just replying to add to bad discussion?

Democracy Now! - your daily, uncensored, corporate-free grassroots news hour

The reason I zeroed your comment is: (none / 1) (#70)
by eumenides on Wed Aug 03, 2005 at 03:32:18 AM EST

I think you're an asshole.

You still haven't answered my question (none / 0) (#73)
by Big Sexxy Joe on Wed Aug 03, 2005 at 12:09:18 PM EST

I did not ask what you thought of me nor do I care.  I am also unimpressed by your vulgarity.

Can you answer my question or not?

Democracy Now! - your daily, uncensored, corporate-free grassroots news hour

I truly hope (2.00 / 5) (#75)
by eumenides on Wed Aug 03, 2005 at 01:58:47 PM EST

that those questions haunt you for the rest of your life.

I can almost picture you, old and mad, going about the streets, people pointing at you and shaking their heads while you mutter Why? WHY? WHY? WHY did he ZERO the comment and REPLY to it? WHY? Why not just ZERO it? Why not just REPLY? Why both? Why? WHY? WHY?

Good luck, chum.

nice (none / 0) (#76)
by klem on Wed Aug 03, 2005 at 04:00:05 PM EST

Well, I know why (none / 0) (#80)
by Big Sexxy Joe on Wed Aug 03, 2005 at 11:12:38 PM EST

It is because you are an irrational troll who can't stand behind his actions and must resort to vulgarity when confronted.

Democracy Now! - your daily, uncensored, corporate-free grassroots news hour
That must mean then that (none / 0) (#82)
by eumenides on Thu Aug 04, 2005 at 01:15:20 AM EST

YHBT.

I suppose (none / 0) (#88)
by Big Sexxy Joe on Thu Aug 04, 2005 at 11:43:35 AM EST

I don't why people like you come to these sites to disrupt conversation.  Do you think not listening to Anal Cunt means you're smart or something?

Democracy Now! - your daily, uncensored, corporate-free grassroots news hour
Sir, you are clearly delusional. (1.00 / 4) (#89)
by eumenides on Thu Aug 04, 2005 at 12:05:53 PM EST

Your comment score is 1 (and only because some people will rate anything up once it drops below 1), while mine is 3. What does this tell you?

That you are extremely immature (none / 0) (#90)
by Big Sexxy Joe on Thu Aug 04, 2005 at 12:46:22 PM EST

And your life is so sad that you actually derive your self-esteem from K5 comment ratings.  Furthermore, your most recent comment is rated zero.  So what does that tell you?

Democracy Now! - your daily, uncensored, corporate-free grassroots news hour
And there you go again, (none / 0) (#91)
by eumenides on Thu Aug 04, 2005 at 01:33:17 PM EST

proving my point for me. Enjoy life while you can, "Big Sexxy Joe". Though I must say that while your "bigness" I would not contest; I have doubts about your "sexyness". In fact, I would wager that you are a virgin.

There is nothing wrong with that, of course. Some of you are just late bloomers, as they say.

Well, good bye then.

And you have proved mine (none / 0) (#96)
by Big Sexxy Joe on Thu Aug 04, 2005 at 08:59:40 PM EST

That you are a pathetic, immature, compulsive page reloader.  What were you doing?  Reloading the page every single hour so you could respond extra fast?  I hope I haven't kept you waiting to long.

My screename is a fairly obvious joke which you, not suprisingly, have missed.

Since you are so curious about my sex life I'll tell you.  While I am seeing someone, I am 15 years old and do not believe in premarital sex.

Please quite your obsessive reloading as it slows done the server.  And please quit posting as this site has quite enough immature trolls who try to impress people with their potty mouths.

Democracy Now! - your daily, uncensored, corporate-free grassroots news hour

It's a good indication of being a loser (none / 0) (#98)
by eumenides on Fri Aug 05, 2005 at 03:46:43 AM EST

when you have to pretend to be 15 to not appear like a complete retard.

So you have to pretend to be 15? (none / 0) (#100)
by Big Sexxy Joe on Fri Aug 05, 2005 at 01:14:51 PM EST

Actually, you'd still be a loser at my age.

I'm just stating the facts.  Too bad if you can't handle them.

Democracy Now! - your daily, uncensored, corporate-free grassroots news hour

ZZZzzzzzz. . . . (none / 0) (#102)
by eumenides on Fri Aug 05, 2005 at 04:39:32 PM EST

Your techniques need revising.

Okay (none / 0) (#103)
by Big Sexxy Joe on Fri Aug 05, 2005 at 05:16:17 PM EST

Thank you for biting, yet again, to inform me that my techniques need revising.

Seriously though, you don't belong here.

Democracy Now! - your daily, uncensored, corporate-free grassroots news hour

It is you who has lost (none / 0) (#104)
by eumenides on Sat Aug 06, 2005 at 01:31:28 AM EST

tree times already in this thread, and at life.

I lost 'tree' times? (none / 0) (#108)
by Big Sexxy Joe on Sat Aug 06, 2005 at 11:11:54 AM EST

What have I lost?  I am amusing myself at your expense.  You've lost more because your posting times indicate that you are compulsively reloading just so you can respond to me.

You said goodbye a few posts ago, but you still keep biting.  This is presumably because I am the closest thing you have to a friend.  This last post indicates that your spending your Friday nights with K5.  And you're calling me a loser!

Democracy Now! - your daily, uncensored, corporate-free grassroots news hour

Yawn. . . (none / 0) (#110)
by eumenides on Sat Aug 06, 2005 at 02:48:25 PM EST

I would have thought you would give up by now, losing on all sides as you do.

Give up? (none / 0) (#112)
by Big Sexxy Joe on Sat Aug 06, 2005 at 06:19:16 PM EST

You're still going and still looking like a fool!  That being said, you're too easy and its getting sort of boring now.

It's amazing you can't even actually come up with an argument that there's anything wrong with Anal Cunt.  All you can do is reload over and over on a Friday night.

Democracy Now! - your daily, uncensored, corporate-free grassroots news hour

Anal Cunt (none / 0) (#113)
by eumenides on Sun Aug 07, 2005 at 03:13:15 AM EST

In retrospect, you do sound like someone who would like an "anal cunt", seeing as how you will never see a "real cunt".

Loser.

Wow you're still going (none / 0) (#118)
by Big Sexxy Joe on Sun Aug 07, 2005 at 10:27:27 PM EST

You post on both Friday night and Saturday night.  I think we know who doesn't see real cunts.

Democracy Now! - your daily, uncensored, corporate-free grassroots news hour
I just want you to know (none / 0) (#119)
by eumenides on Mon Aug 08, 2005 at 01:43:59 AM EST

that I didn't read your comment.

never heard. to ousian? (none / 0) (#34)
by dimaq on Tue Aug 02, 2005 at 03:59:07 AM EST

now that you mentioned she's coming to an end, I don't relly want to try listening to her music... still a reasonably interesting article and by far better than most here :)

She's somewhat odd (none / 0) (#36)
by ubernostrum on Tue Aug 02, 2005 at 06:43:58 AM EST

Well. She may be, or may not be. But her fans... basically, people who like Ani, don't like Ani. They rhapsodize about Ani. Ani changed their lives. Ani completely and utterly blew away the people they used to be. And so on and so forth. It's a bit frightening, really.

You cooin' with my bird?
Eh. (1.00 / 3) (#52)
by Smothie on Tue Aug 02, 2005 at 03:43:03 PM EST

Not everyone falls into those two catigories. I like "Untouchable Face" and that's about it.

Please visit my scoop site, Guppylog - For help with all livebearing fish.
It's just mediocre folksy music... (none / 0) (#93)
by Veritech on Thu Aug 04, 2005 at 04:47:41 PM EST

...that's been done better by anybody who's ever picked up an acoustic guitar and bitched about something or another.

That's your opinion... (none / 0) (#97)
by MrMikey on Thu Aug 04, 2005 at 10:46:00 PM EST

from where I'm sitting, you don't know what you're talking about. At all. It's doubtful you even know what a guitar looks like, acoustic or otherwise.

TEH MUSICAL GENIUS HAS MUCH TO SHOW ME. (none / 0) (#99)
by Veritech on Fri Aug 05, 2005 at 10:51:58 AM EST

PLEZ MR MIKEY WOT DOES GUITAR LOOK LIKE? I HAVE NEVER OWNED SEVERAL OF THEM NOR HAVE I BEEN IN A BAND. PLEZ HELP.

Being in a band stopped having any relevance (none / 0) (#115)
by Chewbacca Uncircumsized on Sun Aug 07, 2005 at 11:22:56 AM EST

After The Shaggs released their album. Try again!

I on the other hand (2.66 / 3) (#42)
by nebbish on Tue Aug 02, 2005 at 10:21:04 AM EST

am a socialist who dispises whiny, holier-than-though hippy guitar music. Funny, eh?

---------
Kicking someone in the head is like punching them in the foot - Bruce Lee

I think I know what the problem is (none / 1) (#47)
by The Diary Section on Tue Aug 02, 2005 at 01:09:23 PM EST

you need to work on your lesbianism a little harder.
I saw Ani Difranco at Whole Foods in Austin. (3.00 / 2) (#49)
by waxmop on Tue Aug 02, 2005 at 01:13:03 PM EST

I think this was 1996 or so. She was standing behind us in line at the cashier. I wasn't sure it was her, so I said "you look a lot like Ani Difranco" and she sneered at me and said that she was her evil twin. Then I stood there dumbly.

Dilate fell way out of the rotation after that.
Every single American person is complicit in the deaths of 9 trillion innocent Chinese babies every single second of the day. --

Don't hold it against her (3.00 / 2) (#62)
by cburke on Tue Aug 02, 2005 at 10:07:39 PM EST

That was her evil twin!

If I were you, I would've made a pass at her (none / 0) (#94)
by Veritech on Thu Aug 04, 2005 at 04:48:36 PM EST

And then asked her to make me a sammich.

guitar trumps politics every time (none / 1) (#63)
by cburke on Tue Aug 02, 2005 at 10:09:26 PM EST

These words are true.

-1 This article will attract music dipshits. (1.50 / 6) (#64)
by tweetsybefore on Tue Aug 02, 2005 at 10:41:42 PM EST

I thought about 0ing the article cause I don't really care about it, but I don't want more of these articles either. Music is not important enough to post on the front page. Music dipshits are really annoying too.

I'm racist and I hate niggers.
Man, they came out of the woodwork for this one (3.00 / 2) (#65)
by codejack on Tue Aug 02, 2005 at 10:58:32 PM EST

And that's Ani's magic; It's not her music, though I personally enjoy it, even though I can't play any of her songs (not a talent issue, just a matter of it not being right for a 28 year old father of three to sing about his vagina). It's not even her "crowd" or "audience", although that helps. It is the fact that she embodies what every right-wing ideologue fears most: A strong, liberal, business-savvy woman with no strings on her. She can't be bought, she can't be intimidated, and she won't shut up.

I have, unfortunately, missed every oppurtunity to see her live, including the one this past weekend in Virginia (I was selling a house, shit happens) and bonnaroo back in June (was mailed to Kansas for work). I do look forward to being able to attend one, if for no other reason than finding myself ass deep in hippies and lesbians, hopefully minus the patchouli and birkenstocks.

Please read before posting.

What turns me off to Ani (3.00 / 2) (#72)
by British1500 on Wed Aug 03, 2005 at 09:50:21 AM EST

...is her rabid fans. It is generally best to avoid any strong fans of hers, since typically they are malicious and way too off the deep end. This goes double if you replace Ani DiFranco with Tori Amos. Stay away!

I like Tori Amos. (none / 0) (#92)
by Veritech on Thu Aug 04, 2005 at 04:45:31 PM EST

And I would beat you bloody with a box of Light Days.

Her acoustic show rocks, too! (none / 0) (#79)
by mariox19 on Wed Aug 03, 2005 at 09:00:07 PM EST

I saw her one woman acoustic show back in 1999 at the Falcon Ridge Folk Festival in New York. She was the headline act and came out on the stage solo -- just her and her guitar.

I was seeing a crunchy granola chick at the time who just absolutely adored Ani. Prior to the show, I was "take it or leave it" regarding her music. That changed when she took the stage.

That woman has a terrific amount of charisma, both as a performer and as a female. She came out, all curly haired and girly looking -- as opposed to her sometimes crew cut look -- and started to sing. After the first song, I was completely head over heels for that girl.

I'm still not that into her music -- I have "Not a Pretty Girl" on my iPod, and that's it. But, she was definitely worth seeing!

As was the granola chick :-)

Tendonitis? (3.00 / 2) (#81)
by Big Sexxy Joe on Wed Aug 03, 2005 at 11:17:36 PM EST

That's too bad.  Thirty-five is pretty young for that kind of problem.

Slayer is their 40's and have been playing more demanding music for over twenty years.  I've never heard of them having these problems.

Democracy Now! - your daily, uncensored, corporate-free grassroots news hour

Slayer are the devil's children... (none / 1) (#85)
by Veritech on Thu Aug 04, 2005 at 09:12:10 AM EST

...and the devil does not suffer from human ailments. I mean, DUH!

That is because (none / 0) (#114)
by Chewbacca Uncircumsized on Sun Aug 07, 2005 at 11:20:54 AM EST

They sold their souls to Satan

More Demanding? (none / 0) (#121)
by localman on Tue Aug 09, 2005 at 11:41:32 AM EST

No comment on the quality of music, but having played both Slayer-like death metal and Ani-like hard acoustic funk, I can say that the later is far more greuling on the fingers and tendons.  I mean, just working with acoustic guitars is always harder than with electrics because of the thicker strings.  Plus her style requires more unnatural hand positions.

Cheers.

Impressive chops... (none / 0) (#109)
by rnelson on Sat Aug 06, 2005 at 12:47:54 PM EST

heh heh...

I hadn't listened to Ani other than the radio airplay from the Not a Pretty Girl album. Listening to Knuckle Down has been fun. Thanks for the article.

Ron

Yeah, whatever, pig... (none / 0) (#116)
by Vin Vilan on Sun Aug 07, 2005 at 03:55:11 PM EST

Leave the hippies alone, you souless bastard.

I'd smell your lack of soul a mile away. Smell  the stinch of death from the inside.

Pig.
~V~

Women (none / 0) (#122)
by localman on Tue Aug 09, 2005 at 11:45:48 AM EST

The only other guitarist I know who got tendonitis by the time she was 35 was a female friend of mine.  It's only two data points, but I can't help wondering if there is an unfortunate tendancy towards this for women -- perhaps the smaller moving parts undergo more pressure to accomplish the same thing?  If true, it would be sadly ironic given Ani's personality and femenine strength.

Hope things improve for her; she's an amazing artist.  I know several conservatives who hate her politics but can't help enjoying her music and it's passionate delivery.  Congrats to her on her across the board success, without ever selling herself short.

Cheers.

Playing style... (none / 0) (#127)
by frippin on Sun Oct 02, 2005 at 04:05:27 AM EST

Kottke had problems in the late 70's and had to seriously reform his playing style. Now he plays much more mellow stuff than his 12-string-popping open-tuning machine gun rattles.

Ani has a very active, powerful style. So maybe she'll need a break and some re-thinking on how she wants to approach the strings.

Guitarist? (none / 0) (#125)
by garote on Thu Aug 18, 2005 at 04:29:18 PM EST

This article, extolling the virtues of some musician, seems somehow less appropriate here than an article extolling the virtues of a political system, society, or even a writer. I think it's the gushing tone of the piece. But since it's here, I'd like to point that calling Ani Difranco "one of the greatest guitarists of her generation" is a bit of a stretch, unless you play fast and loose with the word "generation". That's like saying Tori Amos is "one of the greatest pianists of her generation". To make those statements, you'd have to have a familiarity with piano and guitar performers that stops cold at the American pop-cultural border.

Ani DiFranco is about up there with John Linnell and Guitarist "Scummy" of Mr. Bungle. Damn good, sometimes amazing, but not "greatest of her generation". Paco De Lucia and Heitor Pereira could be considered "greatest of their generation". Your gushing needs to be hemmed back a bit.

Woody >Dyaln > Ani...Is the Bottom Line (none / 0) (#126)
by Skinny Moo on Sun Aug 28, 2005 at 02:24:14 AM EST