The most beautiful feeling in the world

By psychologist in Culture
Tue Aug 09, 2005 at 03:33:19 PM EST
Tags: Culture (all tags)
Culture

In every city there is a small tiny corner that is perfect. When you find it, time stands still, and you can be there for hours. It is a place where feeling seems to stop, and you can become an unimportant part of the city.

In Cape Town, it was a peculiar combination of location, time, a person and a bicycle that created that sweet spot for me.

I have a girlfriend who lives right at the beach. The beaches in Capetown are not straight sand beaches with coconut trees reaching out to the water, they are rocky and curving, wild and rushing.

She lives in a house at the far end of the beach, a green mountain separates where I live from where she lives.

Every friday night, I drive out to Khayelitsha township. The street is dusty, the houses are made of leaning metal zinc sheets. We go to visit an old woman who took care of her when she was a child. She calls her Aunty Mamoloko. We sit there and receive two glass bottles of coke. I chatter with the girl and the old woman looks at us with a happy smile on her face. When we stand up to leave, she heaves a sigh of relief and says we are her children.

Then we drive out to the Bassline club. We sit on the sofa and drink. We talk a lot, and by 3 a.m we are terribly drunk, laughing and shouting at each other. We are hanging on ourselves, her hands are against my chest, my arm is draped around her shoulders. Our heads are close together, and I can almost taste the sharp lemon from the caipirinhas she drank on her breath.

By 3 a.m we leave the club, go to the car and pull out my bicycle from the back. She sits behind me and I cycle her through the wide city right down to the beach. We laugh and yell as we ride through the streets, the occasional policecar will slow down as it drifts by us.

We ride through the wide streets and the grinning houses, the occasional missing streetlight gives the street a crooked smile. Everything is happy and slow.

We arrive at her home, and we rush in. We tear off our clothes and fall into bed, drunk and laughing. Channel O plays on the Television, and we make passionate love.

By 5 a.m I pull on my jeans and I touch her body one more time before leaving the room. I go out, climb on the bicycle, and cycle down the beach.

And that is the perfect moment.

The wide treads of the mountain bike crunch on the hard sand of the beach. The water speaks and murmurs things that I cannot understand. The red sun peeks out at the tip of the horizon, slowly creeping up. The water stretches out till it becomes nothing. The wind pulls my untucked shirt, it waves about wildly. A few lonely men sit at the side of the beach.

That ride takes 30 minutes, and those 30 minutes are perfect. I feel freedom, I feel nature, I feel the city, I feel the people, I feel myself, I feel the lightly beating heart of a beautiful woman. Every time I ride down that beach, I feel the most beautiful feeling in the world.

Would you like to visit Capetown?
o Yes 25%
o No 62%
o I didn't want to, but now I would like to 12%

o Also by psychologist

The most beautiful feeling in the world | 79 comments (49 topical, 30 editorial, 0 hidden)
Sort of cheesy (2.25 / 4) (#2)
by More Whine on Sun Aug 07, 2005 at 04:23:13 PM EST

But for some reason, I liked it in a light-hearted kind of way.  +1 section.

IAWTP (none / 1) (#4)
by hackle577 on Sun Aug 07, 2005 at 04:37:12 PM EST

very nice writing

Yeah, that's right. "Turd Ferguson." It's a funny name.

Yeah, I know (none / 1) (#8)
by MrHanky on Sun Aug 07, 2005 at 06:21:47 PM EST

Drunk cycling really makes you feel one with the world. It's like that up here in the cold north as well, so it probably has nothing to do with Cape Town specifically.

"This was great, because it was a bunch of mature players who were able to express themselves and talk politics." Lettuce B-Free, on being a total fucking moron for Ron Paul.
That's nothin, try drunk biking! -nt- (none / 1) (#29)
by wobblywizard on Mon Aug 08, 2005 at 09:53:30 AM EST

You never win an argument with anyone who fucks you or signs your paychecks. I just smile, bite my lip and sip my drink. --Philalawyer

drunk and naked cycling (none / 0) (#56)
by jamesotron on Tue Aug 09, 2005 at 09:36:33 PM EST

now that's a way to feel in touch with nature :)
I like to make things out of bits
Great story... (2.30 / 10) (#10)
by BlahFace on Sun Aug 07, 2005 at 10:22:06 PM EST

...I'm busting a few loads right now just thinking of your girl.

a question in all seriousness (2.00 / 8) (#12)
by UNITEpartdeux on Sun Aug 07, 2005 at 11:09:25 PM EST

now im gonna vote this up and all

but i remember yuo and yuor war stories etc

honestly i'd wager my left nut that yuo've never left the state of new hampshire in yuor life

Lindsay Lohan naked

and you call yourself psychologist. [nt] (2.66 / 3) (#14)
by Elvis Priestley on Mon Aug 08, 2005 at 04:04:06 AM EST

Buy clothes that will make you cooler
The trolls must be getting to me. (3.00 / 4) (#15)
by Scott Robinson on Mon Aug 08, 2005 at 04:54:17 AM EST

I expected a surprise twist ending. Like her being dead when you leave in the morning.

In fact, reading the ending with that interpretation is way more fun.

so you got drunk and laid and feel good? (2.83 / 6) (#18)
by dimaq on Mon Aug 08, 2005 at 05:36:16 AM EST

wouldn't that be like expected? city probably has tnohign to do with this...

+1 section (1.50 / 4) (#25)
by epicedium1 on Mon Aug 08, 2005 at 07:26:24 AM EST

Nice read, beautifully vivid without drowning in indulgent detail.

I like it.

.. but I can't justify voting this to fp, to me this is lovely but too personal - it has no real further social or cultural significance beyond the implicit reminder to step back, let go, and enjoy life for what it is ..

Truth is most readers will bawk at this - plainly lacking the degree of experience and maturity to appreciate this story for what it is.

(their loss)

take care,

Kris

I abhor the demand for (none / 0) (#64)
by vera on Thu Aug 11, 2005 at 08:58:38 AM EST

an overriding social and cultural significance in art.

If to appreciate this article for what it is requires an advanced degree of experience and maturity, does this not grant it social and cultural significance enough?

art (none / 0) (#65)
by epicedium1 on Thu Aug 11, 2005 at 12:00:16 PM EST

I wasn't aware that Kuro5hin was an 'art' site, but what do I know, I'm a newbie.

Precisely [nt] (none / 0) (#66)
by vera on Thu Aug 11, 2005 at 12:37:32 PM EST

who the fuck would wanna go to afrika (1.20 / 5) (#26)
by UNITEpartdeux on Mon Aug 08, 2005 at 08:29:10 AM EST

its a jungle out there

Lindsay Lohan naked
Have you ever been to Cape Town? (2.70 / 10) (#31)
by flo on Mon Aug 08, 2005 at 12:02:08 PM EST

I doubt it, otherwise you wouldn't spell it "Capetown" like so many second rate sci-fi writers.

Nor would you regularly visit Kayelitsha (I'm assuming you have white skin, right?) without eventually winding up dead.

But the biggest giveaway: you never mentioned the mountain! (And I don't mean the green one).

I'm calling bullshit. -1.
---------
"Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Why would you think I had white skin? (2.00 / 6) (#32)
by psychologist on Mon Aug 08, 2005 at 01:00:32 PM EST

Someone tell this guy what my ethnic origin is. To make it easier, read it off my last name.

I'm addicted to feeling good (3.00 / 7) (#33)
by dhall on Mon Aug 08, 2005 at 01:10:02 PM EST

More description plz. I can't masturbate to what's here.

Gir-1friend (2.44 / 9) (#35)
by trane on Mon Aug 08, 2005 at 03:53:04 PM EST

For me the best feeling in the world is doing a hit of good crack.

-1, Blog material; buy a diary (2.00 / 5) (#36)
by evilmeow on Mon Aug 08, 2005 at 05:15:57 PM EST

"[O]ne thing is certain: people are certifiably historically myopic"

Livejounral (1.66 / 12) (#37)
by AlwaysAnonymized on Mon Aug 08, 2005 at 07:35:11 PM EST

This is Livejournal. I would suggest you get one. Maybe you could post this there and get some emo friends to read it. Fuck, get together and commit mass suicide, just don't go and clog up the queue.

Thank you.

That had a typo (2.00 / 2) (#38)
by AlwaysAnonymized on Mon Aug 08, 2005 at 07:35:47 PM EST

lol and rofl appropriately.

The most beautiful feeling in the world is... (3.00 / 16) (#39)
by errgh on Mon Aug 08, 2005 at 11:41:08 PM EST

voting you -1.

Best comment evar (none / 0) (#61)
by evilmeow on Thu Aug 11, 2005 at 03:35:41 AM EST

Please accept my eternal gratitude.
"[O]ne thing is certain: people are certifiably historically myopic"

-1 the wound sex guy "I feel myself" (2.00 / 8) (#42)
by livus on Tue Aug 09, 2005 at 06:38:12 AM EST

christ knows what he is about to do with the lonely men on the beach - probably stab them and rape their  knife wounds - but really I don't even want to know how much he gets off on the feeling of a bicycle seat in his ass.

HIREZ substitute.
be concrete asshole, or shut up. - CTS
I guess I skipped school or something to drink on the internet? - lonelyhobo
I consider myself trolled more or less just by visiting the site. HollyHopDrive

+1 FP (1.50 / 4) (#44)
by etc on Tue Aug 09, 2005 at 08:00:45 AM EST

Those who get it really get it. Those who do not do not have a clue. I like it. A good story about a city.

I'm feeling pretty good myself (1.50 / 2) (#46)
by zenador on Tue Aug 09, 2005 at 09:07:10 AM EST

I just smoked a joint followed by four cigarettes.
I enjoyed reading this.
Bedtime.

+1 FP

Psychologist discovers (2.80 / 5) (#49)
by Harvey Anderson on Tue Aug 09, 2005 at 04:04:11 PM EST

that people feel good after sex. What a shocker.

Nah--Uh (none / 0) (#50)
by psychologist on Tue Aug 09, 2005 at 04:28:45 PM EST

Usually my thoughts after sex are: What the fck is this bithc still doing in my bed. She needs to get the fuck outa here, this beds too small for two people!

but not with magic girl (none / 0) (#52)
by Harvey Anderson on Tue Aug 09, 2005 at 04:37:51 PM EST

from the beach! oooh laa laaaaaaa!

Yeah (none / 0) (#53)
by psychologist on Tue Aug 09, 2005 at 05:02:28 PM EST

Ya know, I may talk all funny and shit, but there is actual depth to what I write.

Hahaha (none / 1) (#58)
by Harvey Anderson on Wed Aug 10, 2005 at 09:07:11 AM EST

hahahahahaaaaa

Who would have thought it (2.20 / 5) (#51)
by psychologist on Tue Aug 09, 2005 at 04:32:18 PM EST

I spent 3 years of my life trying to post a story to K5, and then I type out a story in 15 minutes that is pointless and vague, and it gets posted. Who would have thought it.

That brings to 3 the number of stories I've posted, all absolutely pointless.

Perhaps with all the other stories that failed... (none / 1) (#54)
by skyknight on Tue Aug 09, 2005 at 07:27:23 PM EST

you were trying too hard to be something that you aren't.

It's not much fun at the top. I envy the common people, their hearty meals and Bruce Springsteen and voting. --SIGNOR SPAGHETTI
Or maybe (none / 1) (#55)
by livus on Tue Aug 09, 2005 at 07:30:41 PM EST

the less his actual viewpoints come through in a story the better.

To be honest I only voted this down because of the extra-textual info (i.e by Psychologist). There's nothing that wrong with this story if you don't know who wrote it.

HIREZ substitute.
be concrete asshole, or shut up. - CTS
I guess I skipped school or something to drink on the internet? - lonelyhobo
I consider myself trolled more or less just by visiting the site. HollyHopDrive

isn't that called (none / 0) (#57)
by ccdotnet on Tue Aug 09, 2005 at 11:51:31 PM EST

judging a book by its cover?

no, it's called (none / 0) (#59)
by livus on Wed Aug 10, 2005 at 07:06:29 PM EST

judging a book by its context of production.

If you love Polanski's films you'd see this as a weakness, if you're anti sweatshop clothing you see it as a strength; if you're both you just have some balancing act to enact.

HIREZ substitute.
be concrete asshole, or shut up. - CTS
I guess I skipped school or something to drink on the internet? - lonelyhobo
I consider myself trolled more or less just by visiting the site. HollyHopDrive

no, it's called... (none / 1) (#60)
by skyknight on Wed Aug 10, 2005 at 07:19:11 PM EST

ad hominem

yep (none / 0) (#62)
by livus on Thu Aug 11, 2005 at 06:11:33 AM EST

good call.

HIREZ substitute.
be concrete asshole, or shut up. - CTS
I guess I skipped school or something to drink on the internet? - lonelyhobo
I consider myself trolled more or less just by visiting the site. HollyHopDrive

This is valuable (2.37 / 8) (#67)
by nanonic on Fri Aug 12, 2005 at 01:02:11 AM EST

When did so many negative and child-like individuals get the spare time to spend it doing little more than demonstrating just how shallow, child-like and negative they really are? I have read K5 off and on for years and have always waited on the sidelines never having anything to say. Today I sign up because there is something worth commenting on and I find that ninety percent of the comments are putting down what has been captured by the writer. Could it be that they have so little ability to look at themselves that they can not see how patetic their posts are. Or is it that they are such shallow people that they could never hope to understand what it means to value moments like that described in the story. The gift of feeling that people with the smallest capacity for empathy can experience from a story like that can be many and varied. For me it is a reminder to stop and remember the times that feel so clear and uncomplicated. And to top that all off I will praise the writing style. It was simple, direct and truly conveyed how uncomplicated the moment was for the writer. If you think you see things for what they are you need to look some more.

I agree with you (none / 0) (#79)
by Niha on Tue Aug 23, 2005 at 05:02:27 PM EST

Same here (none / 1) (#70)
by h4ckintosh on Sat Aug 13, 2005 at 03:09:11 AM EST

I had the same sorta feeling too this morning. I drank almost half a bottle of rum last night and have beeen depressed out of my mind over the last week (gun-in-the-mouth depressed). Woke up this morning with not a slight hangover, but happy as a lark over an unusual revelation that came to me in a dream. +1 for you bud :)

A nice contrast... (1.50 / 2) (#71)
by deervark on Sun Aug 14, 2005 at 12:23:29 AM EST

to the nazi jake story. I liked this post. It's not FP material, but I felt good after reading it.

Three times. (1.00 / 2) (#72)
by Lisa Dawn on Sun Aug 14, 2005 at 10:05:56 AM EST

I think I've known what you're talking about just three times in my life.

The most profound moment was during winter, while walking through some random square in town. It was cool, but comfortably so. I hadn't much of a care and all I was aware of was the crunch of the snow under my boots. It was regular and relaxing... and then everything just went away.

A few seconds later it all came back, and everything seemed completely new, even though I recognized it all. Despite the blackout, I'd kept on walking... it was like everything was in its place, so I had no need to be aware of it. I kinda wish I could have stayed blacked out...

I created an account on K5... (1.00 / 3) (#73)
by gumpish on Sun Aug 14, 2005 at 11:37:26 AM EST

...for the sole purpose of downvoting this article. Apparently K5 doesn't work that way, and this emo diary entry is here to stay. So all I could do was mod the comments. *sigh*

Take it to LiveJournal or MySpace.

Noob. /nt (none / 0) (#75)
by topynate on Sun Aug 14, 2005 at 02:15:35 PM EST

That means no text, by the way.

"...identifying authors with their works is a feckless game. Simply to go by their books, Agatha Christie is a mass murderess, while William Buckley is a practicing Christian." --Gore Vidal
Most beautiful feeling: MO… (none / 0) (#74)
by genman on Sun Aug 14, 2005 at 12:24:32 PM EST

I liked this story. (none / 0) (#76)
by Robert Acton on Tue Aug 16, 2005 at 06:54:31 AM EST

So do you live in Africa or something?

I am cured.
So... comments can be deleted? (none / 0) (#78)
by gumpish on Thu Aug 18, 2005 at 09:15:29 AM EST

I see my comment regarding the content of this "article" are gone. (Yes, I have "All Comments" and "Ignore Ratings" active.) I signed up just for the purpose of downvoting this crap...