The Ride of the Valkyries

By terryfunk in Culture
Sun Mar 26, 2006 at 12:00:00 PM EST
Tags: Culture (all tags)
Culture

I can't bear to watch. But looking off to the left of the trail, I want to crap my pants or scream. Is the burro I am riding on steady enough ground for this? "Um...Abogado? My ass is sore and besides I am allergic to these beasts. How much further?" The burro slips on a jagged rock.

"Run Rabbit Run..."

"Senor Jaguar Preest, you sheet your pants, these Indians weel laugh their asses off at you!" Abogado chuckles at me. Of course he is right about that. I would be disgraced if I entered their village smelling like shit. So I shut my whiny-ass mouth and try to enjoy the descent into the jungle valley below, occasionally looking for fer-de-lance pit vipers to amuse myself. At least, that is what I tell myself.

We are high in the Sierra Madre in the state of Guerrero, Mexico. Guerrero is Spanish for warrior. The Mexican federales do not like to confront these people and the federales will push anybody around. It is an all day trip by car and burro to this remote Indian village. Abogado is a Mexican lawyer. I met him a week earlier and volunteer to go on this trip...willingly even. I figure it will be an interesting adventure.

Finally, as we approach the Indian village, we are greeted with brightly colored dressed women and men. They look like flowers and the occasion seems to be a festival of some kind. Everyone is smiling and staring at me and Abogado. I notice and it is quite obvious, that Abogado is speaking a mixture of Spanish and some-kind-of-Indian language. "If I ask you to do something," he motions with his eyes to a crowd of men, "Do it without hesitation and don't question me." Now I am becoming a bit concerned about the wisdom of accompanying him.

People come to greet and touch us, especially me. Have they never seen a white, longhair flippo with a beard before? We soon dismount and I feel raw and sore. Abogado immediately starts speaking to the group of men that are gathered before us. They listen intensely. I assume he is telling them about the government grant for their water and irrigation project. There are no interruptions as Abogado speaks. They politely wait until he finishes. Then suddenly when Abogado is finished, there is an immediate burst of speaking among the Indians, to each other. Abogado remains very quiet. I am saying nothing but my mind is racing like a rabbit on meth, in front of a car, at night.

It is approaching sunset, I slowly begin to calm down and start to enjoy this village. I have very brief conversations with Abogado. I seem to be mainly an observer. The men of the village build a fire and we gather around it. There definitely is a festival feel about everything. Abogado laughs and is engrossed in everything that is going on. In fact, this is rather amusing since he and I look so out of place and weird here. Abogado has on this guayavera shirt, dress slacks and sandals. I look like some pinhead from freakland. Yet, the indios seem to think nothing of it. That is odd too. We are in a remote village in the Sierra Madres, in a jungle, sweating and looking like apes and they hardly seem to notice us.

At one point just after sunset, with a nice bright fire, a ladle is being passed around. "Drink this." Abogado says quietly as the ladle is given to him. "Act like it is the most wonderful drink you have ever tasted." I look at him, trying not to look suspicious. "What is it?" I am always leery of putting something foreign in me while in a foreign country, disastrous results can mysteriously appear. "Pulque..." Abogado answers fiercely with his eyes gazing at me. I take a drink of it and pretend to be very pleased.

"The goddess Mayahuel, has 400 breasts which ooze pulque..."

For those that have never tried the drink discovered by the goddess Mayahuel, don't. Pulque is a slimy, sweetish, milky, snot. It has the alcoholic content of beer. I act like it is wonderful. At this point, we are all seated around the fire. It's sort of like cumbaya-girl-scout-cookies night. I am handed a ceramic, terra cotta looking cup. After a few cups of this stuff, I am feeling woozy and light-headed. I figure I have sweat all day and I am probably dehydrated, so my body absorbs it quicker.

As the evening is rapidly overcome by darkness, everyone sitting around the fire starts to look weird. I tell myself this is due to the fire lighting up everyone's faces. Still, it is unsettling. Three or four of the Indian men begin passing around a pipe. In my ignorant, white-man way, I suspect they are smoking pot. It is not unfounded for me to think this either. Guerrero, Michoacan and Oaxaca are famous hemp growing areas. But I get a whiff of what they are smoking and I notice the smell of tobacco.

Abogado takes the hand-worn pipe handed to him and puffs on it deeply. He then hands the pipe to me, "Take this and inhale it." he tells me. I assume that he means for me to smoke it like pot. Dutifully, as promised, I do. Everyone is looking at me or at least it seems so. Abogado motions for me to pass it on. The men around the fire and Abogado are laughing a lot more now but I feel like I am approaching moments of shear terror.

As the pipe comes to me again and having studied how the other men have been smoking this stuff, I take as deep an inhalation as I can, then pass it along. Within minutes I find myself feeling like my body is somewhere else. I laugh euphorically at anything that moves. Vacillating between hilarity and fright I drink one more cup of pulque and decide to head off to bed somewhere.

WRONG! Like a jolt from a cattle prod I am energized. Instantly, everyone stands up without a word being said, as if we are a flock of grackles or primeval dinosaurs. "What did we smoke? Is something in this pulque stuff?", I blubber at no one in particular. No one can understand me anyway. My head is swimming and as I look into the fire I see fractals and mandelbrots. The men's faces are becoming distorted. Abogado looks like a hairy ape, with his skin sliding off. He has acquired a sinister laugh too. I see an Evil Clown in him and animal faces on everyone else. My vision of reality seems to be slipping away from this place. What will take its place? Can I stop this whirly-gig?

I don't understand and neither can anyone tell me, what is happening. We are all dancing around, in unison. There is lightness in my whole body, while the dancing continues more furiously. It is very flock-like. I glance at Abogado curiously and he seems not to have a care in the world. Sounds have an echo effect that appear to be infinite, my sense of these sounds approaches lunacy.

At this point, every action seems to be delirious and there is a great deal of confusion. My breathing was light too. Then, like a flock of geese, that have been sent a shock wave, we fly off in unison, flying and chasing a black jaguar through the air, in the jungle darkness. I feel the cool and light air all around me and I sense that not only am I stunned but so is Abogado. This flying is silent, swift and unstoppable. We pass through objects as if we are ghosts. With the darkness and speed, I find it hard to imagine. I remember nothing else.

The next morning, I am awakened by a strange Indian woman. I hear the crackling of a fire and see her smiling, pleasant face. Groggy and barely awake, I hear Abogado approaching as he enters the quaint hut. "Get up queeck! hurry! Don't say a word!" Abogado whispers through his gritted teeth. "WOW!...b-b-b-but...", my stuttering is cut off with his hand covering my mouth. "I brought two burros weeth me. Hurry! We must be queeck!". I am stunned, but obediently follow his instructions. We mount the burros and leave the village quicker than we arrived. Abogado keeps silent while continually looking behind us.

His silence continues until we reach the car. We tie up the burros where we picked them up, get in the car and immediately leave. "What the hell is going on?" Abogado doesn't answer and starts talking small talk. "What the fuck happened last night?" I ask again. He totally ignores me on that question for the rest of the ride back to Mexico City.

We return to Mexico City and Abogado drops me off at my room. He never says a word about the amazing night, despite my urging. It is as if "jaguar night" never happened. I don't look him up again before I return home. I did keep his Mexico City address and years later I write him letters. They are either never answered or never received. Sometimes I wonder if that night ever happened at all.

NOTES:
Hand drawn map from my 1981 journal of the village in the state of Guerrero, MX. HIREZ!

You may wish to listen to a public domain version of Die Walküre from Archive.org, Open Source Audio project. Do this by Shift->Right Click->Open In New Window. This version is performed by the American Symphony Orchestra 1921. Record format is Edison Diamond Disc.

Pulque Deities:
Conejo, Ometotchtli, Two Rabbit, generally regarded as the supreme God of the drink pulque. Pronounced: oh, may, tote, cheetel, ee

Mayahuel - To the Nahuatl, the maguey agave was divine, represented by the goddess Mayahuel, who had 400 breasts which oozed pulque

Th-Th-Th-at's all folks!

o Hand drawn map from my 1981 journal of the village in the state of Guerrero, MX
o Die Walküre
o Open Source Audio
o Also by terryfunk

The Ride of the Valkyries | 61 comments (50 topical, 11 editorial, 0 hidden)
The last story the last diary (3.00 / 2) (#1)
by terryfunk on Sun Mar 26, 2006 at 07:54:22 PM EST

Earlier I posted the last diary. This will be the last story.

The ScuttledMonkey: A Story Collection

like the blog btw (none / 1) (#6)
by nostalgiphile on Sun Mar 26, 2006 at 10:55:10 PM EST

Illustrations are helpful, chronology is revealing, and, as far as I can tell, all it needs now is some hot latina women splattered all over page one. Uh, j/k, sorta...Adding you to my blogroll as we speak, you friggin kook.

"Depending on your perspective you are an optimist or a pessimist[,] and a hopeless one too." --trhurler
haha! thanks! (3.00 / 2) (#8)
by terryfunk on Sun Mar 26, 2006 at 11:09:18 PM EST

i will try an finish the unfinished ones soon.

The ScuttledMonkey: A Story Collection

you had a write up on your blog site .. (none / 0) (#10)
by dakini on Sun Mar 26, 2006 at 11:33:00 PM EST

earlier, you removed it?? just wondering if i was seeing things or not..lol

" May your vision be clear, your heart strong, and may you always follow your dreams."
salvia divinorum? nt (2.75 / 4) (#2)
by circletimessquare on Sun Mar 26, 2006 at 10:42:10 PM EST

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

BINGO! (3.00 / 2) (#3)
by terryfunk on Sun Mar 26, 2006 at 10:46:43 PM EST

Your awesome, but one of the few that would get it.

The ScuttledMonkey: A Story Collection

cool, good for you (3.00 / 2) (#4)
by circletimessquare on Sun Mar 26, 2006 at 10:53:42 PM EST

i always wanted to try it, apparently the trip is very different from other psychedelics

i tried to grow some of my own once, and i smoked it, but it did nothing for me

i did something wrong, i don't know what

apparently you can chew the leaves with lime too to get the effect

i'd like to try it again, hmmm

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

yes, with lime they say it is awesome...!!! (3.00 / 3) (#7)
by dakini on Sun Mar 26, 2006 at 11:01:11 PM EST

You have to smoke it right (none / 0) (#61)
by der on Fri Apr 21, 2006 at 01:54:21 AM EST

You can't smoke it like weed, you need to take massive hits, filling your lungs completely as much as possible. Two hits like this should get you through a bowl, and in about 5 seconds you won't be holding the pipe anymore (you're guaranteed to drop it, make sure your sitter knows this so they can catch it).

The key point is to get it in you FAST, because it hits incredibly quick, and when it comes on reality goes bubye.

(Yeah, replying a month after the fact, but FYI...)

A while back... (3.00 / 2) (#13)
by BJH on Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 04:23:35 AM EST

...I looked at importing some extract, as it's supposedly legal (or rather currently unrestricted) in Japan.

I rethought it when I found out (a) how expensive it is and (b) that the trip varies wildly, not to mention that Japanese Customs would probably mark me for life.
Roses are red, violets are blue.
I'm schizophrenic, and so am I.
-- Oscar Levant

Psychetropic Salvia::After that night... (3.00 / 2) (#18)
by terryfunk on Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 01:47:00 PM EST

I never wanted to have anything to do with it again. Although, for a number of years I didn't know what it was. CTS also suspects that it was Salvia. I knew it wasn't mushrooms or pot. For a long time I thought it was just some weird jungle drug.

It probably wasn't until sometime in the 90s that I found out that it might be salvia. That is what I strongly suspect that it was. It also explains why "Abogado" was so freaked out about leaving the place so quickly and never talking about it. I think he knew what it was and didn't want to say.

That stuff is fucking weird shit...but maybe it was just me.

The ScuttledMonkey: A Story Collection

no, it is weird shit..lol..i know of those.. (3.00 / 2) (#19)
by dakini on Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 02:56:36 PM EST

who have used it..:o)

it is a very odd drug (3.00 / 2) (#20)
by circletimessquare on Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 03:57:53 PM EST

definitely out there. the way it works is unlike any known or studied pathway

it apparently is very inward focused, unlike other psychedelics which accentuate external stimuli. if you use it again, have someone baby sit you, never use it alone. you could just lay there with your eyes closed, but you could also walk out a window

salvia divinorum is about as out there as it gets in psychotropia

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

well that explains... (3.00 / 4) (#21)
by terryfunk on Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 04:37:16 PM EST

my experience for sure. I don't about now (2006) but in 1981 the Sierra Madres in Guerrrero, Oaxaca and Michoacan were not developed real well and some areas were very remote and isolated. Like the village I visited. I don't even remember the name of it. I am not sure I could find it again even though I drew the map in my journal. If I remember, Mexico was swimming in Pemex oil money back then, so there was a push to make some of the remote areas more accessible. However, I don't think it worked real well because ten years later the Zapatistas hit the scene. As I understand it, Zapatistas and Sub Commander Marcos are very involved with the native people there. That is a scary thought too. I wouldn't want to mess with the indians in those areas at all and I don't think I would want to go back there to check it out.

The ScuttledMonkey: A Story Collection

didn't stop mel gibson (none / 1) (#25)
by circletimessquare on Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 06:30:15 PM EST

he's there right now, making a movie in the language of the mayan, with mayan actors, about the downfall of mayan civilization

salvia divinorum proably explains the whole concept

apocalypto

because that trailer is cetainly a trip

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

Cool, the village I was at in Guerrero... (none / 1) (#33)
by terryfunk on Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 09:52:01 PM EST

was not mayan. But I am not sure what tribe they were. I guess I could look it up. I only went there once.

The ScuttledMonkey: A Story Collection

this drug is still being used.. (3.00 / 2) (#22)
by dakini on Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 04:56:20 PM EST

in my neck of the woods..it is quite hard to get, but is available at times..

Anyway, that is what I always (3.00 / 3) (#5)
by terryfunk on Sun Mar 26, 2006 at 10:55:08 PM EST

thought it was. I never knew for sure. BTW, you almost restored my faith in Kuroville. haha.

The ScuttledMonkey: A Story Collection

don't worry (3.00 / 2) (#9)
by circletimessquare on Sun Mar 26, 2006 at 11:12:57 PM EST

just read another post of mine someday when i'm in a different mood

it will promptly destroy your faith in kuroville ;-)

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

IAWTP € (none / 0) (#55)
by alge on Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 04:37:37 AM EST

vi er ikke lenger elsket her

interesting facts about this drug.... (3.00 / 2) (#23)
by dakini on Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 05:03:32 PM EST

salvia divinorum:

The herb, a cousin of the flowering sages enjoyed by backyard gardeners, contains the world's most potent natural hallucinogen, as strong as LSD. The drug is legal in most states, including Delaware, and easily available through hundreds of Internet sites, including eBay.

Mazatec Indians have used salvia divinorum to divine spiritual truths for hundreds or thousands of years, experts said. Outsiders discovered it in the 1960s, but it remained a relatively obscure drug until popularized on the Internet, beginning in the 1990s. It's now sold as live plants that can be grown indoors, dried leaves or liquid extracts, from tiny bags costing a few dollars to wholesale shipments for hundreds of dollars.

you can get divinorum (none / 1) (#27)
by Linux or Mac OS X on Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 07:23:27 PM EST

over the counter in Berkeley CA

don't ask me how I know.

"Ugh, my stomach is full of tequila and semen." - LilDebbie

ysb

Not uncommon (none / 0) (#60)
by Jebediah on Tue Apr 11, 2006 at 02:25:28 AM EST

Same holds true in many other places since it is legal.

another well done, entertaining story... (none / 1) (#29)
by dakini on Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 07:52:42 PM EST

thank you for your talent of taking one into your stories...:o)

That reminds me (3.00 / 2) (#32)
by livus on Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 09:29:31 PM EST

where is ElizabethB? I was hoping to see her here.

HIREZ substitute.
be concrete asshole, or shut up. - CTS
I guess I skipped school or something to drink on the internet? - lonelyhobo
I consider myself trolled more or less just by visiting the site. HollyHopDrive

OH NOES !!!!!1111 (none / 1) (#36)
by terryfunk on Tue Mar 28, 2006 at 02:03:18 AM EST

haha! Back on EB again?

The ScuttledMonkey: A Story Collection

What can I say - (none / 1) (#37)
by livus on Tue Mar 28, 2006 at 02:43:46 AM EST

I like Jane Austen!

HIREZ substitute.
be concrete asshole, or shut up. - CTS
I guess I skipped school or something to drink on the internet? - lonelyhobo
I consider myself trolled more or less just by visiting the site. HollyHopDrive

lol salvia. (none / 0) (#31)
by Linux or FreeBSD on Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 07:58:07 PM EST

i just tried it this weekend, actually. weird. i think some of what i felt might have been due to preexisting resin in the bowl though.

seriously? I would love to see.... (none / 1) (#34)
by terryfunk on Tue Mar 28, 2006 at 12:54:57 AM EST

a write up on an experience from someone that knew they were taking it and what happened. Especially, since it is not a common experience with very many people.

The ScuttledMonkey: A Story Collection

Try chewing on it. (3.00 / 2) (#35)
by The Ghost of ChefSalad Past on Tue Mar 28, 2006 at 01:22:16 AM EST

Seriously. Chew up a small ball the size of 5 tic-tacs or so and then hold the juices in your mouth, swallowing only when necessary. Don't worry about your mouth filling with spit. It won't; salvia is way too bitter. You'll getr just great effects doing it this way instead of smoking.

One night .. he just spontaneously vomited and simultaneously defecated in his pants. - osm

it was (none / 1) (#45)
by Linux or FreeBSD on Tue Mar 28, 2006 at 03:10:55 PM EST

10x extract. i have a bit more. how many mg would you recommend? and how long does it last this way?

Salvia: "I was a piece of yellow card" (3.00 / 2) (#39)
by Journeyman on Tue Mar 28, 2006 at 10:49:13 AM EST

I've done salvia a few times, but not recently. Odd stuff. It is transformational. It destroys identity.

Far too scary to do by myself, and I consider myself to be a bit of a head.

Anyway, +1 section cos it's about drugs. :)

Salvia::I agree, I posted earlier in the comments (none / 1) (#40)
by terryfunk on Tue Mar 28, 2006 at 11:03:34 AM EST

how totally weird it was. I didn't find out what it was until the 90s sometime. I imagine we smoked AND drank it but I can't be sure(sort of a native american absinthe+wormwood).

I did not want to mention salvia in this shortened version of the  story and I have told the story to only a handful of people since it happened 25 years ago. CTS was the first one to figure it out when the story was in the edit queue. But he is so damn smart I can't get anything past him.

It actually spooked me bad and I think it spooked the Mexican lawyer I was with real bad. That year was the last time I went into interior Mexico.

The ScuttledMonkey: A Story Collection

I thought you had smoked coke (none / 1) (#41)
by Journeyman on Tue Mar 28, 2006 at 11:12:27 AM EST

Smoking cocaine would certainly get you dancing, but Mexico isn't particularly known for coke whereas it is known for salvia and mushrooms.

I intend to explore salvia futher some day. By that time, the god heads (i.e. kids) will surely have figured out the best set and setting, given that the stuff is so popular.

No doubt someone else has posted this link. Erowid Salvia Divinorum (Ska Pastora) Vault

I doubt that it was coke..../nt (none / 0) (#42)
by terryfunk on Tue Mar 28, 2006 at 11:58:03 AM EST

The ScuttledMonkey: A Story Collection

Eye see what you mean but.... (none / 1) (#44)
by terryfunk on Tue Mar 28, 2006 at 01:29:35 PM EST

once it wears off your identity comes back. hehehe

Salvia=> -Identity?

Maybe that is what happened to me....

The ScuttledMonkey: A Story Collection

If it destroys identity, (none / 1) (#43)
by rpresser on Tue Mar 28, 2006 at 01:24:05 PM EST

how can you post "I" in a comment after having taken it?
------------
"In terms of both hyperbolic overreaching and eventual wrongness, the Permanent [Republican] Majority has set a new, and truly difficult to beat, standard." --rusty
It comes back, I think (none / 1) (#56)
by Journeyman on Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 07:30:17 AM EST

Although I had no way to know that at the time, being not me but something else.

Hey! Maybe I didn't come back. Maybe someone else did!

i didn't notice any ego softening. (2.00 / 2) (#46)
by Linux or FreeBSD on Tue Mar 28, 2006 at 03:12:53 PM EST

i've had full-blown ego loss a few times on other things though.

Aw.............................$ (none / 0) (#47)
by madameBovarysGhost on Tue Mar 28, 2006 at 04:44:37 PM EST

Sometimes soft, sometimes hard, depended on dose. (3.00 / 2) (#48)
by Journeyman on Tue Mar 28, 2006 at 09:00:20 PM EST

I didn't use it enough to figure out if there was a right dose.

Sometimes I was still appreciably me, able to form thoughts, to reflect upon myself under the influence.

Other times I was appreciably nothing but my sensory input, which is very confusing and more than a little scary.

Fantasic experiences all. Revealing. Funny. Scary.

UNBELIEVABLE. I have notified the FBI. (1.50 / 6) (#49)
by Josh Ferien on Wed Mar 29, 2006 at 09:52:47 AM EST

I don't know how our society (or this website) has degenerated to the point that people now openly discuss illicit use of illegal drugs, but I for one won't stand for it.

I've notified the appropriate authorities. Everyone in this thread should've THOUGHT before they posted!

Cordially,

Josh Ferien

The J is for Justice!

Not illicit drug.... (none / 1) (#50)
by terryfunk on Wed Mar 29, 2006 at 11:45:00 AM EST

Salvia divinorum is not illicit or illegal anywhere to my knowledge. It has been in use for probably thousands of years by native Americans in Mexico for spiritual purposes.

The ScuttledMonkey: A Story Collection

no, its not illicit anywhere in the world.. (none / 0) (#52)
by free2delude on Wed Mar 29, 2006 at 12:27:40 PM EST

after talking to friends in the great white north..lol...it is still being used by some first nations with their sweat lodge rites..
$$Any fool can criticize, condemn, complain. And most do.$$
Read it and weep (none / 0) (#54)
by spasticfraggle on Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 03:20:49 AM EST

I'm the straw that broke the camel's back!
Hahaha! IHBT!....cool... (3.00 / 2) (#51)
by terryfunk on Wed Mar 29, 2006 at 11:47:34 AM EST

damn, you are good!

The ScuttledMonkey: A Story Collection

UNBELIEVABLE! I'm smoking weed. (3.00 / 2) (#57)
by Journeyman on Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 07:31:54 AM EST

You have a nightstick up your ass.

Who's having more fun?

I have notified myself (none / 1) (#58)
by kbudha on Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 12:48:33 PM EST

to track your IP so I may find out where you live.

Pulque is the fermented sap of the agave.. (none / 1) (#53)
by free2delude on Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 12:13:24 AM EST

and has been a traditional drink since Mayan times. The Spanish Conquistadors distilled pulque into mezcal wine, which later became today's tequilas and mezcals. When fresh, pulque is white, thick and quite sweet, usually called pulque dulce. Older, sour pulque is called pulque fuerte. Pulque is not distilled. In Santa Maria Tejacate, pulque has been industrialized and canned. Pulque curd is the mixture of pulque with various fruits to sweeten the taste, sometimes prepared with walnut, pine nut, guava, celery, orange, cantaloupe, lemon, wild plum, and other ingredients.u
$$Any fool can criticize, condemn, complain. And most do.$$
thanks (none / 1) (#59)
by realaaaaa on Sun Apr 02, 2006 at 08:06:43 AM EST

nice story. I would like to see more like this.
calls free
The Ride of the Valkyries | 61 comments (50 topical, 11 editorial, 0 hidden)