Vindaloo a l'Agni

By Trollaxor in Culture
Tue Jun 20, 2006 at 12:00:00 PM EST
Tags: cooking, curry, garlic, ginger, hot, onion, recipe, spicy, Trollaxor, vindaloo (all tags)

This dish ends up looking like food from a real live Indian joint. The yogurt has this amazing sour/fresh taste that takes the edge off the heat of the vindy and gets even better when it's soaked into the rice a little bit. I like to add a few shakes of salt to everything before I eat it. As you will see, a lot of this is subjective and you can modify the amounts to your taste. Eventually the recipe will become your own. This is just what I've been doing for the last month or so. In fact, the original recipe called for two peeled, seeded tomatoes and tomato paste that I got rid of. This is an onion/garlic paste at its heart.

The name for this dish comes from Agni, the Hindu deity of fire.

Ingredients

Lime Yogurt:

• 2 c fresh, whole plain yogurt
  • 2 lime wedges, peeled
  • 1/4 tsp. black pepper
  • 1 pinch turmeric

Rice:

• 1 c rice (basmati or jasmine are best, but any kind will do)
  • 8 oz. chicken broth (may substitute water)
  • 1 tsp. olive oil
  • 1 tsp. turmeric
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon

Vindaloo:

• 3 c coarsely chopped white onion
  • 2 c finely chopped white onions
  • 3-6 cloves garlic, skinned
  • 8 oz. chicken broth
  • 1 tbs. ginger root, skinned
  • 3 tbs. red wine vinegar or apple vinegar
  • 2 tbs. olive oil
  • 1 tsp. black pepper (adjust to taste)
  • 1 tsp. cardamom
  • 1 tsp. cayenne (adjust to taste)
  • 1 tbs. cilantro (coriander) leaves (fresh), finely chopped
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
  • 1 tsp. coriander
  • 1 tsp. cumin
  • 1/4 tsp. mustard seed
  • 1 tsp. paprika (adjust to taste)
  • 1 tsp. turmeric
  • 5 or 6 chicken sirlion, cooked and chopped into 1/2" cubes

Preparation

Lime Yogurt:

1. Blend ingredients in food processor for 30 seconds.
  2. Set aside in refrigerator until time to serve.

Rice:

1. Mix rice, olive oil, chicken broth, and spices in a pot on medium heat with lid for about 10 minutes.
  2. Remove lid and continue cooking for about five minutes. Remove from heat and fluff with fork, replacing lid until ready to serve.

Vindaloo:

1. Put the coarsely chopped onion, garlic, ginger, 1 tbs. olive oil, vinegar, and all of the spices into a food processor and blend for about 30 seconds. The mixture should be anywhere from a light orange to dark brown color depending on how you adjusted the spices.
  2. In a pan, add enough olive oil to cover the bottom plus 1 tbs. Heat on medium and add the vindaloo paste. Stir occasionally to evenly cook the paste for about ten minutes or until slightly browned.
  3. Add the chicken, finely chopped onions, and chicken broth to the paste, mixing until it's about as thick as milk. Bring to a simmer and put a lid on. After 20 minutes, remove the lid, reducing until the broth is cooked out.
  4. Remove from heat and add the cilantro. Stir in well, evenly distributing it.

Serving

Serve on bed of rice. Garnish with yogurt sauce and parsley. Salt and pepper to taste. Leave yogurt sauce nearby so you can add as much as you want throughout the meal. Serves four.

o Also by Trollaxor

Vindaloo a l'Agni | 98 comments (44 topical, 54 editorial, 0 hidden)
can this be used for squirrel? (1.60 / 5) (#5)
by t1ber on Tue Jun 20, 2006 at 04:38:40 PM EST

I'd love me some vindaloo squirrel.

And she said...
Durka Durka Mohammed Jihad
Sherpa Sherpa Bak Allah
Hadji girl I can't understand what you're saying.

I'm sure. (3.00 / 2) (#7)
by Trollaxor on Tue Jun 20, 2006 at 04:40:21 PM EST

But I would substitute the chicken broth with water or squirrel broth throughout.

squirrel is white meat (3.00 / 2) (#8)
by t1ber on Tue Jun 20, 2006 at 04:50:33 PM EST

so it would work with chicken broth, but there's not a lot of fat on them so they don't make broth too well.

I'll check back in with you come October after I hit a few.

And she said...
Durka Durka Mohammed Jihad
Sherpa Sherpa Bak Allah
Hadji girl I can't understand what you're saying.

low rent white trash --> (3.00 / 7) (#10)
by a lengthy sabbatical on Tue Jun 20, 2006 at 04:58:56 PM EST

"if you're the kind of person who might feel victimized in a purely text medium, you should probably go to husi." - bunk

you could boil their bones (none / 1) (#56)
by livus on Wed Jun 21, 2006 at 09:45:58 PM EST

and add a tsp of lard.

HIREZ substitute.
be concrete asshole, or shut up. - CTS
I guess I skipped school or something to drink on the internet? - lonelyhobo
I consider myself trolled more or less just by visiting the site. HollyHopDrive

mmm.... marrow. (nt) (none / 1) (#66)
by t1ber on Thu Jun 22, 2006 at 10:23:56 AM EST

And she said...
Durka Durka Mohammed Jihad
Sherpa Sherpa Bak Allah
Hadji girl I can't understand what you're saying.

do you use the 'pack it yourself' gun on squirrls? (none / 0) (#98)
by newb4b0 on Tue Aug 01, 2006 at 01:31:29 AM EST

lol. you'll shoot your eye out.

http://www.netmoneychat.com| NetMoneyChat Forums. No Registration necessary. Ya'll.

yeah, another few choice substitutions are needed (3.00 / 5) (#9)
by a lengthy sabbatical on Tue Jun 20, 2006 at 04:50:42 PM EST

for example, can you work jaegermeister into this? and how could refinery wealth be best used to improve it?

You lost me at "yogurt" (1.50 / 8) (#11)
by rpresser on Tue Jun 20, 2006 at 06:01:54 PM EST

I won't eat the stuff by itself, let alone cooked into something.  To me, yogurt is without question the most disgusting foodstuff on the planet; it rates just below "month-old fish guts" and just above tubgirl.  In fact, I'll bet tubgirl was photographed immediately after having a yogurt enema.
------------
"In terms of both hyperbolic overreaching and eventual wrongness, the Permanent [Republican] Majority has set a new, and truly difficult to beat, standard." --rusty
Heh heh. (3.00 / 4) (#12)
by ksandstr on Tue Jun 20, 2006 at 06:22:34 PM EST

You likely shouldn't ever try the roughly scandinavian milk derivative that the swedes (and probably the danes and norwegians and so forth too) call "fil", and finns call "viili". If you think yogurt is disgusting, well! You've seen nothing yet.

my prediction (3.00 / 4) (#15)
by khallow on Tue Jun 20, 2006 at 06:33:53 PM EST

He will follow your advice.

Stating the obvious since 1969.

Most Scandinavian cuisine is based on a dare. (2.66 / 3) (#46)
by More Ron on Wed Jun 21, 2006 at 05:29:10 PM EST

How else would it have ever seemed like a good idea to eat cured, dehydrated cod, reconstituted in lye?

Ik geef u een recept voor zetpillen.

i've heard the same thing about Scottish cuisine.. (3.00 / 2) (#81)
by azool on Fri Jun 23, 2006 at 01:28:28 AM EST

Scottish "cuisine" (3.00 / 3) (#82)
by Trollaxor on Fri Jun 23, 2006 at 02:39:43 AM EST

Fried anything and beer.

requesting more info on this food. (none / 0) (#97)
by newb4b0 on Tue Aug 01, 2006 at 01:27:55 AM EST

Three 1s and a 0? (none / 1) (#87)
by rpresser on Fri Jun 23, 2006 at 09:27:38 PM EST

Come on, did I really deserve that for expressing my dislike of yogurt, clearly marked as my opinion?
------------
-1 does not have habaneros in it but... (3.00 / 2) (#19)
by lamppter on Tue Jun 20, 2006 at 09:05:13 PM EST

I am just kidding. I am actually gonna try this recipe and because of that I will vote this to the FP.

Naive Bayes Classification and K5 Dupes
-1 turmeric (3.00 / 12) (#20)
by r3u8rb on Tue Jun 20, 2006 at 10:18:46 PM EST

Join me on irc.slashnet.org #Kuro5hin.org - the official Kuro5hin IRC channel.
-1. (2.00 / 2) (#22)
by Graeme Rasputin on Wed Jun 21, 2006 at 12:17:24 AM EST

If it has accomplished nothing else, the -1 has afforded each of is in some small measure the opportunity to reduce the total inanity of the world, though only by the merest margin. And why not? While we're here, can we do no less?

We can of course. We can simply stop reading and with this site will go all the irrelevant nobodies thereto attached. No more of that lowly kind of Kuro5hin blogger and none of that lowly kind of troll that plays with him. Nothing. Zero.

Yet somehow, -1 is just one better and that one makes all the difference.

+1 FP Indian food (none / 1) (#23)
by rpjs on Wed Jun 21, 2006 at 04:26:52 AM EST

Yum

WTF are cilantro leaves? [nt] (none / 0) (#29)
by BJH on Wed Jun 21, 2006 at 01:18:00 PM EST

Roses are red, violets are blue.
I'm schizophrenic, and so am I.
-- Oscar Levant

Now I know. (3.00 / 2) (#30)
by BJH on Wed Jun 21, 2006 at 01:19:58 PM EST

Why didn't you just say coriander, you ponce?
Roses are red, violets are blue.
I'm schizophrenic, and so am I.
-- Oscar Levant

Here in America, (3.00 / 2) (#32)
by Trollaxor on Wed Jun 21, 2006 at 01:50:31 PM EST

we call the entire plant cilantro, and use coriander as the term for the seeds, ground or whole. This differs in Europe and elsewhere, where they typically call the whole plant coriander. I will amend the recipe to reflect this.

Term valid in most of North America (NT) (none / 0) (#38)
by Enlarged to Show Texture on Wed Jun 21, 2006 at 02:48:14 PM EST

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -- Isaac Asimov
+1 eye opening (none / 1) (#55)
by livus on Wed Jun 21, 2006 at 09:44:04 PM EST

I always thought "cilantro" was something fancy, not just fresh coriander leaves.

HIREZ substitute.
be concrete asshole, or shut up. - CTS
I guess I skipped school or something to drink on the internet? - lonelyhobo
I consider myself trolled more or less just by visiting the site. HollyHopDrive

Nope. (3.00 / 3) (#72)
by Trollaxor on Thu Jun 22, 2006 at 07:03:27 PM EST

Disappointing, isn't it?

nah, I'm pleased (none / 0) (#86)
by livus on Fri Jun 23, 2006 at 07:47:40 PM EST

now I can make shit that calls for "fresh cilantro".

HIREZ substitute.
be concrete asshole, or shut up. - CTS
I guess I skipped school or something to drink on the internet? - lonelyhobo
I consider myself trolled more or less just by visiting the site. HollyHopDrive

Funny (3.00 / 2) (#84)
by needless on Fri Jun 23, 2006 at 11:05:58 AM EST

I used to think the same thing about "coriander".

Evil, mutant, parsley (3.00 / 2) (#43)
by b1t r0t on Wed Jun 21, 2006 at 04:02:54 PM EST

I hate the stuff myself, and in Tex-Mex food, it seems like large chunks of the rancid weed are thrown into everything. As far as I'm concerned, if it's big enough to see (especially the damned stems), it's too much cilantro.

But then I don't like curry either, because of all the crap it throws in with the capcisum.

-- Indymedia: the fanfiction.net of journalism.

Agreed, but... (none / 0) (#93)
by Raindoll on Tue Jun 27, 2006 at 07:19:07 AM EST

I believe the ability to taste the bad flavor in cilantro leaves is a genetic trait. Not everyone has it.

I can't stand cilantro or dill in many dishes, but I found that the flavors balance eachother out when I blend these two herbs together.

D-1ary (2.25 / 4) (#42)
by tdillo on Wed Jun 21, 2006 at 04:01:46 PM EST

Man this is just a recipe, and about as interesting as reading a FOR loop. Post it to your diary or cooking.com. Recipes here can make it but tell us a little something about this dish or why you've been screwing around with it for the last month or so.

Funny. (3.00 / 3) (#73)
by Trollaxor on Thu Jun 22, 2006 at 07:05:03 PM EST

I, and the rest of Kuro5hin, think the exact opposite -- the motivation behind cooking a recipe belongs in a diary. The recipe itself belongs on the front page.

+1 FP. (3.00 / 2) (#47)
by spooked on Wed Jun 21, 2006 at 05:36:38 PM EST

You clearly followed the recipe.

Seriously.
Rec-1pe $ (2.33 / 3) (#63)
by gzur on Thu Jun 22, 2006 at 05:48:30 AM EST

_________________________________________
"I'm not looking for work, but I wouldn't say no to a Pacific rim job."
Better yet (none / 1) (#78)
by CYwolf on Thu Jun 22, 2006 at 11:50:24 PM EST

You could make it with lamb and call it Vindaloo l'Agneau.

Ethn+1c FOOD! (1.50 / 2) (#85)
by 7h3647h32in6 on Fri Jun 23, 2006 at 02:46:48 PM EST

It sounds awesome. (3.00 / 2) (#88)
by supersocialist on Sat Jun 24, 2006 at 01:32:59 AM EST

I can't wait to try this.

Let me know how it comes out. (none / 1) (#89)
by Trollaxor on Sat Jun 24, 2006 at 01:41:11 AM EST

can i cumin your cardamom? (2.60 / 5) (#90)
by the77x42 on Sat Jun 24, 2006 at 08:46:20 PM EST

"We're not here to educate. We're here to point and laugh." - creature
"You have some pretty stupid ideas." - indubitable ‮

I'd prefer my anise. (3.00 / 7) (#92)
by Trollaxor on Sun Jun 25, 2006 at 01:59:34 PM EST

i like foods (2.60 / 5) (#91)
by wdir1 on Sun Jun 25, 2006 at 11:58:13 AM EST

I like all the delicious foods

lol FP author anonymized % (3.00 / 3) (#94)
by creative dissonance on Tue Jun 27, 2006 at 04:16:28 PM EST

this is bad (none / 1) (#95)
by durkie on Fri Jun 30, 2006 at 08:29:11 PM EST

okay, so i've never encountered any kind of rice that cooks 1 cup of rice with ~1 cup (8 oz) of water. we tried this and the rice was in the process of getting burned to the bottom after 10 minutes. another 5 minutes without more water was out the question.

second, this thing has 5 cups of onions in it. everything comes out just way way oniony. the rest of the spices don't help either; they're just too much. it's overwhelming. not even cilantro can save it. i like spicy food, and i like indian food. this didn't taste like either. it was just not good.

someone post pics of end result plz $ (none / 0) (#99)
by newb4b0 on Fri Aug 04, 2006 at 12:18:22 AM EST

Vindaloo a l'Agni | 98 comments (44 topical, 54 editorial, 0 hidden)