The World of Bats

By UniverseCloud in Culture
Mon Jun 05, 2006 at 12:00:00 PM EST
Tags: bats, k5 (all tags)
k5

I have always had a great interest in bats. Hearing stories of vampire bats and the warnings from my parents about bats trying to get into my long hair, just gave me more incentive to find out all I could about them.

When I was young I would go out to an old farm on the edge of town and search the old barns and buildings looking for any signs of bats. Most often all I found was bat shit on the floors and walls. I did on occasion see them flying around at night in the light of the streetlight at home.

Included is a short story of an encounter with a bat.

Watching His Little Feet Going All Over Her Head

The family reunion went as planned and all seemed to have a good time. A lot of people came from all over the world. There were some that we had only met through letters and phone calls. This was going to be a week of partying.

On the last night of the reunion, everyone was tired out and returning to their respective places where they would sleep for the last time. A couple of cousins were staying at our place where I still lived with my sister and parents. After our parents went to bed, the four of us had decided to sit outside on the deck as we felt it was too early for us to retire. After all, it was only one in the morning.

It was a beautiful night. The moon was full, there was a nice breeze and the stars were all shining brightly. You couldn't ask for a nicer night on the prairies.

We were sitting quietly enjoying a peaceful night and discussing the past few days of our reunion. We kept seeing what we thought was some kind of night bird fluttering around the trees. Thinking they may be owls, I decided to go and get the binoculars so we could have a better look.

As I was returning to the deck after getting them I heard screaming coming from the deck. As I got to the door to the deck, all I could make out between the screams were the words "its attacking me, its attacking me!"

Cousins Diane and Laura were jumping up and down while Jennifer was swatting at the top of her head in hysterics. Laura yelled at Jennifer "what the hell is that?"  Jennifer screamed back that she didn't know what it was, only that she was being attacked and bitten by something with wings. All I could see was something dancing with his little feet all over her head and his wings opening and closing, opening and closing. It was very freaky.

Diane yelled out that it was a bat. It was silvery white from the light glistening on it, and it had a wing span of nearly one foot. Diane then started to swat at it and Jennifer finally felt it let go of her hair and fly away. They all stood in amazement as it flew up over the house across the street and was gone.

Laura was concerned about the behaviour of the bat. She didn't feel it was normal for a bat to attack a human being and insisted that Jennifer get treatment as soon as she could.

The next day they took Jennifer to the doctor. He found scratches but did not know if there were any bites as he said the bats pin-like teeth doesn't leave much of a trace. It was suggested she get rabies shots.

Despite what she went through, Jennifer said the benefits of having bats around far outweigh the unlikely risk of an attack. She actually felt sorry for the bat as she thought it might be sick or injured from her swatting at it.

Laura, Diane and Jennifer all left town the following day. Jennifer did not have any serious injuries from her encounter with the bat.

Bats

At this point I decided I would like to learn even more about the bats that are common in our province. I spoke to the city environmental officer and he told me that we do not have many problems with the bats here except they do get into buildings at times. Some people even have bat houses on the sides of their trees or old buildings.

Eight bat species call Saskatchewan their home. The big brown bat is a common here with a wingspan of 30 cm and a body 15 cm tall. If it were catching only mosquitoes, it would eat nearly 600 in an hour. Which is a good thing to happen. This is the type of bat they figured that attached itself to my cousins' hair.

Many of the other insects bats eat are considered agricultural pests. Without insect-eating bats, there would be more crop losses and a need to increase pesticide use.

I interviewed our medical health officer the next spring. He said that bat attacks are a rare occurrence, but there are other ways people may have a brush with a bat.

"There are at least two or three cases per summer season of someone who comes into contact with a bat. Usually it's someone who sees a bat flopping around on the ground in the back yard and they will pick it up because its interesting. That's not a good idea," he stated.

Bats can be rabies carriers and the virus is transmitted through its saliva or scratches. "There have been positive (rabies) reports in our district from year to year from all types of bats," said the doctor. Bats discovered inside a home can be cause for concern even if people don't report having contact with it.

"One of the problems is if it is found in your sleeping quarters and one is fairly certain that its been there for a period of time, you may not realize you have been bitten. The bite marks are small and probably invisible," he explained. He said ideally the bat should be taken away and tested for rabies. If the bat cant be located, a person in that situation may want to consider getting a rabies vaccine.

Though rare, rabies can manifest itself in two to three weeks or as long as a year after exposure, so its important to consider a rabies vaccine after an animal bite, whether or not symptoms are showing.

The symptoms can range from muscle spasms to odd behaviour, but usually include a fear of water, or hydrophobia, which results from a difficulty in swallowing. Once the symptoms arise it can be a very difficult disease to treat.

Bats have a very good sight and radar and an accidental brush is nearly impossible outdoors.

If you go into a barn or a shed, there may be the odd bat quietly roosting there. People have this thing about killing bats at all cost, but its best to just leave them alone.

Some common bat myths:

• Bats are blind: No, bats have excellent sight especially at night.
  • Bats are flying mice: Bats are not rodents and are more closely related to primates and humans. Also, mice cant fly.
  • Bats are dirty and carry rabies: No, they are very clean, grooming themselves like cats. They can get rabies as all mammels can.
  • Bats are not the only mammal that can fly: Yes, they are the only mammal that can fly. Some can even hover like hummingbirds.
  • Bats are worthless: Far from it. They help control insect population and help pollinate plants. They have also taught us about sonar.
  • Bats like to bite necks and suck blood: No, only one species drink blood. The Vampire bat in Central and South America like the blood of cattle and birds. These animals are not normally killed by the bats.

Here are plans to build a bat house if you are interested.

Yes, the prairies have bats flying in the night sky.

o bat house
o bats
o Also by UniverseCloud

The World of Bats | 73 comments (63 topical, 10 editorial, 0 hidden)
FLAPPITY BATS (2.85 / 7) (#1)
by LilDebbie on Mon Jun 05, 2006 at 06:52:10 PM EST

link

My name is LilDebbie and I have a garden.
- hugin -

you realize (2.50 / 4) (#3)
by circletimessquare on Mon Jun 05, 2006 at 07:05:32 PM EST

that you could basically replace k5 with jerk city and no one could tell the difference

or wait...

say...

you seem to be pretty into this jerk city site, you got any connections there?

why do i ask?

we need the reverse!

WE NEED A JERK CITY TREATMENT OF A K5 THREAD

YOU KNOW YOU WANT IT

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

Well, I'll talk to rands about it (none / 1) (#16)
by LilDebbie on Tue Jun 06, 2006 at 12:47:00 PM EST

but they didn't like my homosexual treatment of 'Amazing Grace' (which I still plan to record and yes, I will provide HIREZ MP3S when it's done), which was concentrated gayness.

Any recommended threads? Any good recent flame wars with kitten recently?

My name is LilDebbie and I have a garden.
- hugin -

word (none / 0) (#22)
by circletimessquare on Tue Jun 06, 2006 at 04:21:20 PM EST

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

I don't GET Jerkcity (3.00 / 5) (#11)
by Patrick Chalmers on Tue Jun 06, 2006 at 04:53:34 AM EST

Is it because I'm brain-damaged, or because I'm not brain-damaged?
Holy crap, working comment search!
The latter (3.00 / 3) (#17)
by LilDebbie on Tue Jun 06, 2006 at 12:50:40 PM EST

Smoke more pole. You'll feel it eventually.

My name is LilDebbie and I have a garden.
- hugin -

HLLAUGHGHAUGAGAGUAHLGAUGAH [nt] (3.00 / 2) (#23)
by Patrick Chalmers on Tue Jun 06, 2006 at 04:32:12 PM EST

Holy crap, working comment search!
mmmmm (none / 1) (#50)
by weedaddict on Fri Jun 09, 2006 at 03:08:29 AM EST

drugs

Reality has a certain cynical bias - Cattle Rustler
just don't eat them (3.00 / 3) (#4)
by circletimessquare on Mon Jun 05, 2006 at 07:08:39 PM EST

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

I dont think they will make it to my dinner plate. (none / 1) (#7)
by UniverseCloud on Mon Jun 05, 2006 at 07:54:24 PM EST

.. Albert Einstein: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, ...
Vampires (3.00 / 2) (#5)
by Orion Blastar Again on Mon Jun 05, 2006 at 07:38:02 PM EST

I once saw a Cable TV documentary that said if Vampires existed for real, based on the Vampire Bat, that someone like Dracula would have to drink a whole bathtub of blood from like 13 people and drain them dry, in order to survive for each day. That Vampire Bats drink like 23 times their bodyweight in blood in order to survive.

Learn how to be a liberal.
I can't believe it's not Liberalism!
"Thanks for the pointers on using the internet. You're links to uncylopedia have turned my life around." -zenador

that explains (3.00 / 2) (#13)
by actmodern on Tue Jun 06, 2006 at 09:39:09 AM EST

why the good count was pale and old.

LilDebbie challenge: produce the water sports scene from bable or stfu. It does not exist.
and why there are no fat vampires. (3.00 / 3) (#30)
by guyjin on Tue Jun 06, 2006 at 08:34:59 PM EST

Except at larps, anyway.
-- 散弾銃でおうがいして ください
Unlikely. (3.00 / 3) (#32)
by student on Tue Jun 06, 2006 at 09:03:28 PM EST

Bats have much faster metabolisms than people, and must consume more food relative to their body sizes.  Try drinking an entire bathtub of water in one day;  you can't do it because your body cannot get rid of the water fast enough to keep up.

Simon's Rock College of Bard, a college for younger scholars.
Also, you'd die. 0x0 (none / 1) (#65)
by sudog on Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 12:16:41 PM EST

+3 sudog = (none / 0) (#74)
by ducksalve on Tue Aug 01, 2006 at 09:02:39 PM EST

Gentle reader, do you believe that the Bush Regime will not shoot you down in the streets if you have a rebellion? - Paul Craig Roberts
a good story and good info (3.00 / 2) (#8)
by Gaia101 on Mon Jun 05, 2006 at 11:55:27 PM EST

nice read.

Thank You! (none / 0) (#9)
by UniverseCloud on Mon Jun 05, 2006 at 11:56:28 PM EST

My cousins friend was killed by a vampire bat (2.76 / 17) (#10)
by psychologist on Tue Jun 06, 2006 at 04:07:02 AM EST

This one time, my cousin and his friend went hiking in the woods. It got dark, so they set up  camp for the night. My cousin was in his tent, his friend in the next tent.

During the night, his friend got up to pee or something. My cousin said he heard rustling as his friend stood up, saw his shadow outlined against the full moon.

And as he looked, he saw the shadow of a huge bat, magnified by the moon and perspective, flit across the tent. He wanted to call out, but then his entire tent was covered with shadows, and he heard the soft rustle and thump of hundreds of tiny feet landing on his tent.

His friend was still pissing, and he could hear the water tinkling, and his cousin humming. Then the water stopped, then he heard the zipper being pulled up. He heard the rustle of leaves as his friend turned around, and then came a terrified "Oh shit!"

But the exclamation was drowned out in the soft flapping of hundreds of vampire bat wings, all heading for the soft sweet blood of his friend.

My cousin covered his ears with the pillows, but he could not drown out the noise of his friend yelling and screaming as the bats tore away his skin and lapped up the flowing blood.

My cousin lay trembling and awake, and didn't dare leave the tent till midday the next day. He says he cannot remember how the body looked, all he remembers are the glazed dead eyes of a bat that his friend had crushed. The bat was looking him straight in the eye with his fangs bared, and a small smirk in his mouth as if saying: "You are next."

Too funny. Good one! (none / 0) (#12)
by UniverseCloud on Tue Jun 06, 2006 at 07:50:32 AM EST

Now i want to be a bat. (3.00 / 4) (#14)
by Egil Skallagrimson on Tue Jun 06, 2006 at 10:34:17 AM EST

kthnx +1FP.

----------------

Enterobacteria phage T2 is a virulent bacteriophage of the T4-like viruses genus, in the family Myoviridae. It infects E. coli and is the best known of the T-even phages. Its virion contains linear double-stranded DNA, terminally redundant and circularly permuted.

Furry. $ (3.00 / 3) (#24)
by CanSpice on Tue Jun 06, 2006 at 05:52:51 PM EST

My bat experience (3.00 / 2) (#15)
by b1t r0t on Tue Jun 06, 2006 at 11:08:51 AM EST

I'm in central Texas, where there are lots of bats. There's one cave north of San Antonio which is supposed to have more bats than any other site in the world, and there's a bridge in Austin which by accident turned out to be built in such a way as to be perfect for bats. I remember back in high school there would be a bat inside the school every now and then, and they'd have someone go after it with a BB gun. I'm not sure what they would do now "in this post-Columbine world", but I'm sure they still get the occasional bat.

My own experience was at work, where one morning a bat was sleeping on a wall across from the building's elevators. Everybody was freaked, and I decided that action needed to be taken. I knew that I didn't want to get bitten, because even the chance of rabies is enough to need shots, so I started looking around. I found a clear plastic wastebasket and a piece of cardboard.

So I put the wastebasket over the bat, then slid the cardboard under to pick it off the wall. That little mofo was truely pissed* to be awakened like that. So pissed, in fact, that it lost bladder control and some pee got into the wastebasket. I took it outside like that, then set it down outside. It lay there chattering for a while in the bright Texas sun, on a concrete sign base. I was worried it might not get up, but I didn't want to stay around. I'm pretty sure I checked and it was gone a couple of hours later.

*American pissed, as in "pissed off", not British pissed as in "pissed drunk".

-- Indymedia: the fanfiction.net of journalism.

It most likely got away. There are lots of (none / 0) (#19)
by UniverseCloud on Tue Jun 06, 2006 at 01:21:38 PM EST

interesting stories about bats for sure.
simple and informative (none / 1) (#18)
by pheco on Tue Jun 06, 2006 at 01:13:52 PM EST

it kind of felt like i was reading a book report.

(@rzarecta) don't piss on my leg and call it spit
Great! (none / 1) (#25)
by terryfunk on Tue Jun 06, 2006 at 07:48:06 PM EST

i love teh batz.

Damn! my WarKat just puked up a bunch of Bat Brainz! YUCK!

+1 FP

I like you, I'll kill you last. - Killer Clown
The ScuttledMonkey: A Story Collection

Hahahahahaha, now thats funny!!! and (3.00 / 2) (#26)
by UniverseCloud on Tue Jun 06, 2006 at 07:56:39 PM EST

Thank YOu!!!
NO YUO! (3.00 / 4) (#27)
by terryfunk on Tue Jun 06, 2006 at 07:58:23 PM EST

I like you, I'll kill you last. - Killer Clown
The ScuttledMonkey: A Story Collection

good story...interesting.. +FP (none / 0) (#28)
by dakini on Tue Jun 06, 2006 at 07:58:58 PM EST

" May your vision be clear, your heart strong, and may you always follow your dreams."
i really liked this story! (none / 1) (#37)
by agavero on Tue Jun 06, 2006 at 10:51:20 PM EST

"Our knowledge is a little island in a great ocean of nonknowledge." Isaac Bashevis Singer
nice story: thanks. (none / 1) (#38)
by free2delude on Tue Jun 06, 2006 at 11:39:02 PM EST

$$Any fool can criticize, condemn, complain. And most do.$$
+1 Batman. $ (3.00 / 2) (#39)
by Lemon Juice on Tue Jun 06, 2006 at 11:45:53 PM EST

batman is cool! (none / 1) (#40)
by SandBruja on Wed Jun 07, 2006 at 12:06:41 AM EST

yeah I like bats (3.00 / 4) (#41)
by livus on Wed Jun 07, 2006 at 01:06:53 AM EST

theres a bat at the zoo and he licks my hand.

HIREZ substitute.
be concrete asshole, or shut up. - CTS
I guess I skipped school or something to drink on the internet? - lonelyhobo
I consider myself trolled more or less just by visiting the site. HollyHopDrive

I should clarify (3.00 / 2) (#42)
by livus on Wed Jun 07, 2006 at 01:26:32 AM EST

He's a particularly preposessing species of bat.

HIREZ substitute.
be concrete asshole, or shut up. - CTS
I guess I skipped school or something to drink on the internet? - lonelyhobo
I consider myself trolled more or less just by visiting the site. HollyHopDrive

wow thats a neat bat!! (none / 1) (#44)
by dakini on Wed Jun 07, 2006 at 08:07:36 AM EST

Bats are a protected species in the UK (3.00 / 3) (#43)
by rpjs on Wed Jun 07, 2006 at 04:51:27 AM EST

So don't go harming them if you live here!

related link... (3.00 / 2) (#45)
by SaintPort on Wed Jun 07, 2006 at 01:55:50 PM EST

Search the Scriptures
Start with some cheap grace...Got Life?

calvin and hobbes (none / 1) (#46)
by dustinQ on Thu Jun 08, 2006 at 08:39:23 AM EST

Bats: The flying bugs of the sky!!

This post should have come in a clear plastic duo-tang.

The Obligatory C&H Reply (none / 0) (#47)
by Beechmere on Thu Jun 08, 2006 at 10:14:18 PM EST

BATS AREN'T BUGS!!!!!

Batty about bats! (none / 1) (#48)
by Marvaud on Fri Jun 09, 2006 at 12:06:25 AM EST

Here in Melbourne, Botanical Gardens in South Yarra, you can go and look at bats.  A while ago, about two years I heard that a lot of them were moved.
I'm hoping there are still some there.
I'm particularly fond of bats and reptiles.

I've had *SIX* bats in my house (3.00 / 2) (#49)
by hulkster on Fri Jun 09, 2006 at 12:47:29 AM EST

Yea, bats are "good" - eat insects and all that stuff ... but they do NOT belong in the house ... especially when your wife can be heard in the next county when she sees one inside the house.

I did not try to exterminate 'em, but just wanted to move 'em outside the house - read more at my bat hunting saga's.

Good Story. Interesting. You have some good (none / 0) (#51)
by UniverseCloud on Fri Jun 09, 2006 at 09:05:34 AM EST

pictures there also!
Bats / Squirrels (none / 0) (#67)
by jmort on Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 10:42:01 PM EST

I enjoyed the bat stories and applaud you for your tedious efforts to return them to their natural habitats, but why kill the squirrels?  After all, they are mammals just ilke the bats who are simply trying to survive in a world overrun by humans.

My suggestion is -- since you know the source of how they enter your attic -- that you put some sort of screen over the fan in your attic to keep them from entering.  Instead of trying to exterminate every single brown squirrel that decides to take up residence in your attic rent free, why not just eliminate the problem at its source.

Good luck!

James

Can you please post next time about (1.20 / 5) (#52)
by Comrade Wonderful on Fri Jun 09, 2006 at 01:31:37 PM EST

that time when you painted your fence?

Sure. How about the time I painted my wagon? :) (none / 0) (#53)
by UniverseCloud on Fri Jun 09, 2006 at 05:42:46 PM EST

Excellent.... (3.00 / 2) (#54)
by lamppter on Fri Jun 09, 2006 at 08:04:57 PM EST

the value of bats are not appreciated.

Naive Bayes Classification and K5 Dupes
Yes, for sure. I think people are afraid of them (none / 0) (#55)
by UniverseCloud on Fri Jun 09, 2006 at 10:52:14 PM EST

and they really dont have to be.
Fun with bats (none / 1) (#56)
by slur on Sat Jun 10, 2006 at 01:40:01 AM EST

As a teenager on Cape Cod I discovered a fun game to play with the bats as they flapped around on summer evenings. I would throw a little stone straight up in the air as high as I could, and sure enough a bat would swoop down and try to catch it. I don't remember if the bats were ever successful at catching them.

| slur was here

There are lots of stories about bats. This story (none / 0) (#57)
by UniverseCloud on Sat Jun 10, 2006 at 09:58:42 AM EST

is neat. I too, wonder if they caught them. Thanks for your input.
OT: Saskatchwean (none / 0) (#58)
by Fat Tony on Sat Jun 10, 2006 at 11:53:07 AM EST

Other Saskatchewanites visit here?

I havent met any yet. Where are you from? (none / 0) (#59)
by UniverseCloud on Sat Jun 10, 2006 at 11:57:05 AM EST

Saskatoon (none / 1) (#61)
by Fat Tony on Mon Jun 12, 2006 at 01:42:37 AM EST

I think a guy I know from town here used to actually work for the site... not positive though.

thanks..am south of you about two hours..mj.. (none / 0) (#62)
by moondancer on Mon Jun 12, 2006 at 08:24:07 AM EST

**We are simple and we are free.**United Fools
NO WAY! (none / 0) (#64)
by Fat Tony on Tue Jun 13, 2006 at 11:35:14 PM EST

I grew up in MJ.

Graduated from central in 2002.

hehehe that was a long time after i (none / 0) (#66)
by UniverseCloud on Wed Jun 14, 2006 at 06:07:37 PM EST

went to high school here..lol..i most likely know your mom or dad..
We can't stop here (3.00 / 3) (#60)
by ketafiend on Sat Jun 10, 2006 at 04:09:30 PM EST

This is bat country

It's funny... (none / 1) (#63)
by Patrick Chalmers on Tue Jun 13, 2006 at 07:47:27 PM EST

...as mixtures of anecdotes and mythbusting go, this is actually moderately interesting.
Holy crap, working comment search!
OK, (none / 1) (#68)
by Kasreyn on Sat Jun 17, 2006 at 03:33:56 AM EST

Now I want to see your bats go toe-to-toe with xC0000005's bees in a no-holds-barred title fight. Don't disappoint me.

"Extenuating circumstance to be mentioned on Judgement Day:
We never asked to be born in the first place."

R.I.P. Kurt. You will be missed.
My bat story (3.00 / 3) (#69)
by GhostfacedFiddlah on Sat Jun 17, 2006 at 08:00:59 PM EST

My 4-year-old cousin was in the basement at my grandparents house.  All of a sudden my grandmother hears "Gramma! Gramma!  There's a big bug down here!  I think it's a mosquito".

But it was a bat.

I never said it was a good story.

awwww, that IS a good story. :o) (none / 1) (#70)
by UniverseCloud on Sat Jun 17, 2006 at 08:15:06 PM EST

A free book about bats (well sort of) (none / 0) (#71)
by jobi on Wed Jun 21, 2006 at 12:20:02 PM EST

Rats, Bats and Vats by Dave Freer, in Baen Free Library.

"[Y]ou can lecture me on bad language when you learn to use a fucking apostrophe."
Bat's aren't a species (none / 0) (#72)
by epepke on Sun Jul 16, 2006 at 01:10:08 AM EST

They're an order.

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.--Terry Pratchett

The World of Bats | 73 comments (63 topical, 10 editorial, 0 hidden)