Hot Pepper Record Broken

By jd in Culture
Tue Oct 30, 2007 at 01:15:21 PM EST
Tags: Water, needwater, gasp, immelting (all tags)

The world record for hot peppers has been broken!

According to LiveScience, "in 1912, chemist Wilbur Scoville developed a measure of the "hotness" of a chili pepper called the Scoville Organoleptic Test. A pepper's pungency is measured in multiples of 100 units and refers to how much sugar-water was needed to dilute the pepper to a point where the tasters could no longer taste (feel) the heat."

Examples of the ratings of well-known peppers are:

• Sweet bell pepper--0 units
  • Jalapeno--2,500 to about 8,000 units
  • Cayenne--30,000 to about 50,000 units
  • Red Savina Habanero--350,000 to about 577,000 units

In comparison, the Bhut Jolokia pepper starts at about 1,000,000 units. Those who like their food on the hot side, or who are experimenting with nuclear fusion, may want to consider finding where they can order the seeds.

I like my food
o Plain but good 15%
o A little hot 20%
o Moderately hot 28%
o Very hot 15%
o Thermonuclear 20%

o hot peppers
o Also by jd

Hot Pepper Record Broken | 29 comments (24 topical, 5 editorial, 0 hidden)
Holy Mother of God (2.66 / 3) (#1)
by nostalgiphile on Sun Oct 28, 2007 at 01:07:46 AM EST

it should be classified as a biological weapon. The Mexicans could take over America with a good crop of these! Could Sgt York comment on how deadly these would be to your average American citizen? I want hard facts. What would happen if the President ate one whole at a fund raiser fro example?

right and +1FP from me.

"Depending on your perspective you are an optimist or a pessimist[,] and a hopeless one too." --trhurler

I doubt Sgt York needs much encouragement... (3.00 / 5) (#5)
by skyknight on Sun Oct 28, 2007 at 06:12:19 AM EST

to shove a Habanero pepper up some poor unsuspecting mouse's rectum.

It's not much fun at the top. I envy the common people, their hearty meals and Bruce Springsteen and voting. --SIGNOR SPAGHETTI
Nah, I got scooped (none / 1) (#24)
by Sgt York on Wed Oct 31, 2007 at 10:35:34 AM EST

Baby rats, no less. To quote:
For neonatal sensitization, rats were obtained as litters of 4-day-old pups. Ten-day-old rat pups (P10) received an infusion of 0.2 mL of 0.5% acetic acid solution in saline into the colon 2 cm from the anus, and controls received an equal volume of saline. To treat neonatal rats with capsaicin, 10-day-old rat pups received an infusion of 0.2 mL of 50 μg/mL capsaicin or 0.2 mL vehicle (10% ethanol, 10% Tween 20, 80% saline) or were left unmanipulated.
YEEEEEOUCH!

Also, did you know that spicy food makes it hurt when you poo? Yes, it's been proven scientifically! You can even blame serotonin, so avoid that turkey chili!

There is a reason for everything. Sometimes, that reason just sucks.

DAMN. $ (none / 0) (#26)
by skyknight on Wed Oct 31, 2007 at 07:08:50 PM EST

s/Mexican/India/g (none / 1) (#19)
by shm on Mon Oct 29, 2007 at 08:16:17 AM EST

RTFDA

'biological weapon' (none / 0) (#23)
by shm on Mon Oct 29, 2007 at 10:35:40 AM EST

shm bored, googles for said chili and finds:

I ate a whole Habenero once (2.75 / 4) (#2)
by MichaelCrawford on Sun Oct 28, 2007 at 02:01:44 AM EST

A friend of mine brought one over. It didn't seem so bad at first, but after I swallowed it, the heat built and built and built until I could no longer stand it.

My ears started sounding muffled, and I could swear I felt the heat flowing through my veins. When I started shaking, my friend considered driving me to the hospital, but after a while I recovered.

Many "habanero" hot sauces only contain a little habanero, for flavor and a little spice, but derive their orange color from purreed carrots. If you want the real thing, read the ingredient label.

Looking for some free songs?

Let me guess... (2.94 / 17) (#6)
by skyknight on Sun Oct 28, 2007 at 06:13:30 AM EST

"... and the next day I experienced the beginnings of schizo affective disorder."

Beginings? (none / 1) (#12)
by khallow on Mon Oct 29, 2007 at 01:30:35 AM EST

Neigh, full onset I say.

Stating the obvious since 1969.

Are you some kind of horse? $ (2.50 / 2) (#16)
by skyknight on Mon Oct 29, 2007 at 04:48:40 AM EST

Neigh (nt) (none / 1) (#17)
by khallow on Mon Oct 29, 2007 at 05:12:18 AM EST

Stating the obvious since 1969.

I'm going to interpret that as "yes". $ (3.00 / 2) (#18)
by skyknight on Mon Oct 29, 2007 at 05:44:58 AM EST

Neigh, 'yes' in horse is 'Hay.' (3.00 / 4) (#20)
by shm on Mon Oct 29, 2007 at 08:19:08 AM EST

Neigh Text.

peruvian insanity peppers will do that (3.00 / 3) (#21)
by chlorus on Mon Oct 29, 2007 at 09:06:38 AM EST

Peahippo: Coked-up internet tough guy or creepy pedophile?

Don't tell Iran this (2.33 / 3) (#3)
by United Fools on Sun Oct 28, 2007 at 02:36:43 AM EST

or we will have World War III.

We are united, we are fools, and we are America!
You can buy insanely strong 'extract' sauces (2.80 / 5) (#8)
by some nerd on Sun Oct 28, 2007 at 11:46:56 AM EST

such as these; strangely enough this even includes pure capsicum which rates at ~16 million scovilles. Exactly why this isn't considered to be a chemical weapon I don't know.

Home Sweet Home

Amen to that (3.00 / 4) (#15)
by shinshin on Mon Oct 29, 2007 at 03:59:46 AM EST

I once tasted a tiny, tiny sample of one of those extract sauces on the end of a toothpick in a outdoor market in the South. I nearly clawed my tongue out. It was one of the most agonizing experiences I've ever had.

As for people who can digest that stuff: "If I had ten divisions of those men our troubles here would be over very quickly".

____
We believe he has, in fact, reconstituted nuclear weapons --Dick Cheney, Meet the Press, March 16, 2003

where's the youtube link (1.00 / 3) (#9)
by circletimessquare on Sun Oct 28, 2007 at 01:48:28 PM EST

to jackass steve-o in japan, snorting wasabi up his nose?

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

where's the youtube link (3.00 / 2) (#10)
by chlorus on Sun Oct 28, 2007 at 05:18:36 PM EST

to george w. bush rearranging his package?

Peahippo: Coked-up internet tough guy or creepy pedophile?

probably on youtube (none / 1) (#27)
by rhiannon on Fri Nov 02, 2007 at 02:37:29 AM EST

or five billion stupid video sites, or maybe the google, have you heard of it?

-----------------------------------------
I continued to rebuff the advances... so many advances... of so many attractive women. -MC
that's funny (none / 0) (#28)
by circletimessquare on Fri Nov 02, 2007 at 08:19:25 AM EST

the moron mistakes a throwaway commentary on the story with an actual desire and request for the video

classic

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

put together my first capsicum tincture recently (3.00 / 6) (#13)
by krkrbt on Mon Oct 29, 2007 at 02:15:46 AM EST

Slashdot had a story on capsicum at the beginning of October, and a poster shared his method for consumption:
Excluding my closet addition to hot wings, I've been enjoying the benefits of capsicum for a few years now. I make a tincture of capsicum very similar to this one, listed in the 1918 USP Dispensary [henriettesherbal.com].

I use 15 fresh habanero peppers and 1 quart of the cheapest 90+ proof vodka I can find. Put them in a mason jar, seal TIGHTLY, and let sit for 4-6 months. Pour off the liquid and discard the peppers (or eat them, I guess, if you're insane). Store the tincture in the freezer. It should remain liquid even at 0 degrees or below due to the alcohol. That is why I use 90+ proof. Administer 1 ounce every few days. You HAVE to shoot it. The vodka should be super cold when you drink it, so the burn from the capsicum is minimized by the temperature and the quick drinking. I always feel a warm heat in my gut after a shot, as the capsicum gets absorbed.

Don't use this tincture daily or more often, as it can cause serious GI irritation in quantity. Believe me, you do NOT want to vomit the stuff. Just imagine shoving a peeled habanero into your nose/sinuses for an idea of the pleasure. Also, keep away from eyes.

This is cheaper than buying capsaicin tablets, and more fun, too! Challenge your buddies to a (single) shot of habanero sometime...Enjoy!

-teebob21

My tincture has been sitting in the pantry for 5 days now - I think I'll start another batch, and start using this one after another week or two. Only bought ~8 habaneros, so this batch will certainly be weak.

I'm planning on ordering some Red Savina Habanero seeds, and starting some plants for my Earthboxes next spring. A few springs back, my dad & I bought a variety pack of peppers at teh garden center. By August we had a plant covered with little red peppers. My dad was like, "well, should we give them a try?" I took a little nibble, and instantly experienced a terrible burning sensation. My dad couldn't handle it either. After a while the pain went away...

My younger brother came home a couple hours later. "Hey John, these things are really good. Here." He took one and chomped down on it. A look of pain spread across his face, through which he muttered, "assholes."

I had a friend in college of Indian decent. I was talking up my peppers (which we had dried, and had been sent to me), and he was like, "your peppers are nothing! Bring them down here Right Now or shut up!" So I did. He took one, bit into it, and tried to keep his composure.  "Yeah, that's hot."  Later he said that he could've handled it better if he was prepared.

Don't know what kind that last batch was, just that they were little (.5" or so) red jalepeno-shaped things.

Incidentally, I read about this Bhut Jolokia pepper last week on Wikipedia...

The Japanese are way ahead of you. (none / 0) (#25)
by BJH on Wed Oct 31, 2007 at 11:20:16 AM EST

They already have a tasty snackfood that is flavored with Bhut Jolokia (and, not coincidentally, is named "Great Demon King Jolokia" to go along with their previous hit product, "Mad Dictator Habanero").
Roses are red, violets are blue.
I'm schizophrenic, and so am I.
-- Oscar Levant

What would happen if... (none / 0) (#29)
by Pnarp on Sat Nov 03, 2007 at 11:41:49 PM EST

...I were to stuff one of these up my nose?

∼ Phillip Norbert Årp
Powered by the love of the voluptuous insect goddess, Strahazazhia Kalamazoo-Kintaki-Meeps, She of the six-legged delights.

✿✿✿ Pnårp’s docile & perfunctory page! ✿✿✿
   ❝It’s docile! It’s perfunctory! It’s phlogistically fantastical! But… is it one of those blog things?❞
    All wrights preserved. No purchase estuary. Lawn gnomes not included. You won’t be disconcerted. Deployed where prohibited by snore.

❤   Pnårp learned this week that the world was still here. Will it ever end?

[ Current entry | Random entry ]
Hot Pepper Record Broken | 29 comments (24 topical, 5 editorial, 0 hidden)