In retrospect, "Light Jazz" was not such a good choice.

By fluxrad in Culture
Fri Mar 23, 2007 at 12:00:00 PM EST
Tags: mri, medicine, the mellow sounds of jamaican jazz (all tags)

It turns out an MRI is like a colonoscopy; Everyone's had one, but no one talks about it. I got one yesterday on my left knee (an MRI, not a colonoscopy). I've been having pain there off and on (mostly on) for the last 10 years. About 4 months ago I decided to actually do something about it and saw an orthopedic surgeon.

The diagnosis, same one as the last time, was a patella that floats to the outside when I bend the knee, leading to pain on the lower left side of the joint. To fix my problem the Doc prescribed a healthy dose of physical therapy, which I'd been working on since last Jesusmas.

That's all well and good, but in three and a half months I haven't seen much, if any, improvement.

Let's all take a field trip to the MRI machine!

At the agreement of my physical therapist I went to see the doctor Monday. I found it funny at the time - but now not so much - that he told me specifically not to say, "My physical therapist wants me to get an MRI."

Apparently orthopedic surgeons don't like having lowly physical therapists tell them what to do.

They don't like return visits from their patients questioning their authoritaah either.

When I saw her Monday she had this stern look on her face, as if to say, "What the hell are you doing back here? I told you what was wrong with your knee the first time." After a brief hello I told her that I wasn't seeing much improvement and that I'd like to "investigate further" - That's code for, "Give me the fucking MRI, lady!" I thought it was a pretty nice lob shot. It gave her the easy out of saying, "OK. Let's get you the MRI." and we'd be done with it. Instead, the good doctor served me up with a scare story about how they might have to relocate the part of my shin bone attached to the tendon to get the patella to float right. That procedure involved things that don't belong in your body unless you're a member of the Jim Rose Circus, or LilDebbie.

Thanks doc. I see what you did there.

Only then did she recommend the MRI.

I showed up for the gig about 20 minutes early. I had to fill out some paperwork stating I didn't have any metal in my body, I wasn't a welder, and that I'd only had tattoos done inside the U.S. From there, a technician led me to a row of lockers where I got rid of everything in my pockets. I asked about my belt, which the first assistant said would be OK. Then she led me to a second waiting room.

This one had fish.

I'd been told to keep my cell phone because I might be there for a while. I agreed with that assessment. Since I'd been to the doctor enough times to have read every copy of "Sports Illustrated" and "Highlights" ever written, I was pretty sure there wouldn't be much reading material to peruse. Within thirty seconds, another assistant showed up.

"Should I get rid of my phone?"

"Yes. You shouldn't have that."

"Oh. The other lady told me I should keep it since I might be waiting."

"The other lady is stupid."

I asked about my belt. This one told me I might want to take it off.

"If not," she said, "when you're in the MRI the buckle might twist on you." I pictured that scene from Ghost Busters where Stantz gets frisky with that hot ghost. Weird.

The "procedure" itself was strangely mundane. They led me to a large room, with a smaller room side it. Standing there was a big machine with a hole cut through the middle and a bed that protruded from one end. I call it a bed, but it was more of a plank with a sheet on it. The machine looked like some giant pod you'd see in Star Trek. Yeah, it looked exactly like that, except for the two foot tall G.E. logo molded into the top of the machine's face.

When I sat down on the bed the first thing I noticed was that they'd replaced three ceiling tiles with a tropical skyscape, complete with butterflies and palm leaves. Was this supposed to make me forget to notice that I was having an MRI? I think the ridiculously loud banging of the machine and the completely sterile environment pretty much fucked all chance of that. This MRI was brought to you by the letters G, E, and the word "Mitigation."

As I lay there, the technician asked me, "What kind of music do you like?" Since I was pretty sure they didn't have NPR or MTV's House Party 4 on their receiver I replied, "Got any Jazz?"

"Hmm," she said as she looked at their frighteningly large catalog of music. "How about 'Light Jazz'?"

"Sure." I said, and prepared myself for endless instrumental versions of Girl from Ipanima. God damn was I wrong.

Before I could do anything, the technician threw the headphones on me and left the room. Through both ears blasted the most god awful new-age organ and synth crap I'd ever heard. Imagine trip hop. Now imagine really really bad trip hop. I was about to have to put up with 20 minutes of that crap.

I laid there for another minute or two when I hear the technician's voice over the intercom (these were super high-tech headphones). She asked if everything was OK and I gave her the thumbs up. She asked again, and I said, "Yup. Super."

They could hear me as well. That copay goes farther than you think.

Off we went with a 20 minute battery of tests. At first I didn't think I would be nervous, but when that MRI machine first kicks into gear the 60db buzzing begins to take its toll. At first, I wondered if that was going to be it. But it wasn't. The buzzing is just a prelude; it's the part where the technician apparently calibrates the machine for your particular body part. From where I was lying, I could see the front of the machine (I think G.E. planned it this way) and all the LED's that adorned it. There was a timer so you could count down to the end of whatever particular test was being run. There were a couple of random indicator lights whose purpose I couldn't decipher. The only LED that really scared the shit out of me was the picture of a pair of lungs with a vertical bar of LEDs next to it. Only one was lit at the time.

I secretly wondered what would happen if that bar became fully lit while I was lying there.

There were about five or six tests in all. I lost count after a while since they each took about three minutes a piece, and I was tired. The buzzing of the machine was pretty much common throughout the procedure, but when the technician turned on each of the tests - you could tell when he did because the timer started counting down - the machine let forth an unbelievably loud ratcheting sound. I've never heard a gatling gun in peron, but I am certain that that noise is what it would sound like. Ticking down in time to the rapid fire tack-tack-tack-tack-tack-tack-tack of the machine all I could do was thank god it drowned out the sounds of the Jamaican techno DJ throwing beats down in my ears.

After nearly a half hour it was done. The technician came in just as quickly as she'd left and pulled the headphones off. Before they walked me out she and the MRI operator made small talk about how someone who'd just won a $2.5 million house was going to have to sell it to pay the $1.3 million tax bill they were about to get for winning the thing in the first place.

I mentioned Oprah and the tax fiasco it caused when she did that show: "Everyone gets a new car!" I think they were surprised at how insightful that was.

At last, they escorted me out into the hall and left me to my own devices. I stopped by the locker they gave me on my way in and retrieved my belt and other miscellaneous belongings. I wondered if it might not have been better to wear the belt just for the experience. But I did take away one lesson from the MRI, and it's this: Make sure you fuck with people on the way out. As I stopped to retrieve my fiancé from the waiting room I noticed a rather nervous looking couple sitting next to her. It was clear one of them was about to undertake Project MRI.

"How did it go?" My fiancé asked.

"Great!" I said. "Piece of cake. The only weird part is when you start to feel your eyeballs pull on the socket. It makes you feel like you want to close your eyes to keep them from popping out. But that's just for the first 10 minutes. Then you just sort of get used to it."

My fiancé gave me a dirty look. I didn't check to see if girl next to her was going to throw up. You have to play these things cool.

o Also by fluxrad

In retrospect, "Light Jazz" was not such a good choice. | 39 comments (31 topical, 8 editorial, 0 hidden)
i like it (3.00 / 2) (#2)
by circletimessquare on Fri Mar 23, 2007 at 04:25:13 PM EST

brings all those stories you hear about people getting killed because a hospital tech left an oxygen cannister in the mri room by mistake to life

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.

imagine really really bad trip hop (3.00 / 2) (#3)
by wiredog on Fri Mar 23, 2007 at 04:33:57 PM EST

I'm imagining the bastard child of Tangerine Dream and Run DMC.

The idea of a global village is wrong, it's more like a gazillion pub bars.
Phage

Yeah. Pretty much. (none / 0) (#4)
by fluxrad on Fri Mar 23, 2007 at 04:41:27 PM EST

Now imagine vocals by Kelli Dayton's (of Sneaker Pimps fame) younger sister.

"It is seldom liberty of any kind that is lost all at once."
-David Hume
So you got an MRI (3.00 / 2) (#5)
by GhostOfTiber on Fri Mar 23, 2007 at 05:55:43 PM EST

Did they still shove something in your ass or would that have cost extra?

[Nimey's] wife's ass is my cocksheath. - undermyne

No. The ass is out of network $ (3.00 / 2) (#12)
by fluxrad on Fri Mar 23, 2007 at 07:00:58 PM EST

"It is seldom liberty of any kind that is lost all at once."
-David Hume
It's allright (none / 0) (#6)
by QuantumFoam on Fri Mar 23, 2007 at 06:10:09 PM EST

And they let you wear headphones in an MRI? That's fucked up since I'd assume the machine would interfere with them, seeing how they are powered by moving charged particles in a strong-ass magnetic field.

- Barack Obama: Because it will work this time. Honest!

They have electrostatic headphones (none / 0) (#17)
by localroger on Sat Mar 24, 2007 at 02:33:09 PM EST

Normally high-dollar, but considering the cost of a MRI machine probably not out of line.

I am become Death, Destroyer of Worlds -- J. Robert Oppenheimer
Sound pipe? (none / 0) (#36)
by MrPeach on Tue Mar 27, 2007 at 02:47:01 PM EST

When I had mine done, I saw no wiring at all. It seemed the headphone was just attached to vinyl hoses - what was at the other end I have no idea.

i liked it (none / 1) (#10)
by postDigital on Fri Mar 23, 2007 at 06:59:19 PM EST

I can think of specific Jazz selections appropriate for an MRI, but they are not likely to appear in any generic BMI/ASCAP approved clinic solution for providing patients with music as a sedative. I'm still somewhat impressed with your choice though. After confrontation with the GE logo on the MRI machine I doubt I could have responded with any answer other than RATM.

Cast me into classes
for electro shock
Straight incarcerated,
the curriculum a cellBlock

I'm swimming in half thruths
and it makes me Wanna spit
Instructor come separate
the healthy form the Sick

'Year Of Tha Boomerang"
Rage Against the Machine
Evil Empire-Epic-1996

fiance? what fiance? (none / 1) (#14)
by livus on Sat Mar 24, 2007 at 01:48:47 AM EST

the fiancé is what I would call a deus ex machina, storywise, since it only comes in at the end.

That said, I like this.

HIREZ substitute.
be concrete asshole, or shut up. - CTS
I guess I skipped school or something to drink on the internet? - lonelyhobo
I consider myself trolled more or less just by visiting the site. HollyHopDrive

But you have to admit (3.00 / 2) (#15)
by curien on Sat Mar 24, 2007 at 05:24:09 AM EST

The abrupt introduction of the fiance during the denoument provides a distinct contrast to the overall existential quandary exhibited theretofore.

Wiser words have never been not said. -- lilnobody
yeah, it's really weird (none / 1) (#28)
by livus on Sat Mar 24, 2007 at 07:23:14 PM EST

I like the fiance element, I just wish it had been signposted earlier.

I'm reminded of some of those old travel/explorer stories where the author sounds like he's alone in a big bad environment, then you realise he has heaps of people with him, but because they're black he isn't counting them.

HIREZ substitute.
be concrete asshole, or shut up. - CTS
I guess I skipped school or something to drink on the internet? - lonelyhobo
I consider myself trolled more or less just by visiting the site. HollyHopDrive

No, it's not (2.00 / 2) (#19)
by Kasreyn on Sat Mar 24, 2007 at 03:19:48 PM EST

the fiance did not personally intervene to resolve the conflict in the plot, which is what a poor writer uses a deus ex machina to do. Research the origin of the term again.

"Extenuating circumstance to be mentioned on Judgement Day:
We never asked to be born in the first place."

R.I.P. Kurt. You will be missed.
who cares, it still is (none / 0) (#27)
by livus on Sat Mar 24, 2007 at 07:20:31 PM EST

what I would call a deux ex machina, however imprecisely I use the term.

It suddenly appeared to provide the punchline, which released the tension in the plot.

Admittedly I'm using it perjoratively here (in the this-is-what's-wrong sense), whereas your desired use is more trad.

I actually don't object to the use of real deus ex machina (even in your boring narrow use of the term) where it fits into the world of the story - to use a classical example, as I recall at the end of Medea it's perfect - but the use of a sudden fiance is distracting here insofar as their presence wasn't signalled earlier in the story and it normally would have been.

HIREZ substitute.
be concrete asshole, or shut up. - CTS
I guess I skipped school or something to drink on the internet? - lonelyhobo
I consider myself trolled more or less just by visiting the site. HollyHopDrive

I had a CAT scan done of my brain (none / 1) (#16)
by MichaelCrawford on Sat Mar 24, 2007 at 01:03:18 PM EST

Back when they were trying to diagnose what turned out the be schizoaffective disorder. This was in 1985, I think before MRI was invented. They gave me the CAT scan and also an EEG test to see if my psychological symptoms were the result of a brain tumour.

Before they injected me with a rather large quantity of X-Ray dye (to increase the contrast of the image), they said "This is going to make you want to sneeze. Please try not to do so while we're scanning you."

And it did. Oh My, I started sneezing and sneezing and sneezing. It was very difficult to suppress the sneezes during the scans.

Looking for some free songs?

I had an MRI done of my brain (none / 1) (#30)
by regeya on Sun Mar 25, 2007 at 12:12:36 AM EST

I had an MRI done of my brain, and they found I had one.

But seriously...

Just to show how long ago it was, I don't recommend Steve Vai's Passion and Warfare as a good soundtrack to an MRI.

And I had braces at the time. When I asked, "Will that cause any problems?" the tech had a concerned look on her face and said, "I don't think so..."

The cause for the scan? I was having seizures, and they were checking for tumors. It was a happy thought for a teenager who was already freaked out about the seizures and the barrage of tests.

[ yokelpunk | kuro5hin diary ]

Me too (none / 1) (#34)
by Freaky on Mon Mar 26, 2007 at 07:45:18 AM EST

I didn't get any music, though.

I sometimes have partial-seizure-like episodes; tactile sensations of objects being bigger than they really are, sudden mood changes, déjà/jamais/presque vu, even the occasional hallucination.  I've had them for as long as I can remember and not really thought much of them.

About a year ago, I had an incredibly vivid visual hallucination while walking down a mountain; I looked forward and saw not a deep valley to our side, but a huge reflection, almost as though someone had filled the valley with very calm water.  After a good 20 seconds or so something clicked, and suddenly.. there was the valley.  It was very hypnotic; it didn't even occur to me to stop walking and take a good look at where I was, or ask someone else if they saw it.  Good thing it happened on a straight...

After that and a few other "funny turns", I was referred to a neurologist and got screened for temporal lobe epilepsy.  It took about 6 months for me to get an EEG and MRI, and for my trouble I got a 5 minute "We didn't really find anything, and personally I don't think your 'funny turns' are anything more than that".  Ho hum.

As do I (none / 0) (#39)
by regeya on Thu Mar 29, 2007 at 11:24:15 PM EST

No way am I getting medicated for that, though. In high school I was on Tegretol; it knocked me out and affected my sense of musical pitch. I'm guessing most people never notice the effect on musical pitch. Anyway, it wasn't fun to be on drugs all the time; it is, however, a little amusing to be stone cold sober and be able to identify with shit that stoners have told me about their experiences.

[ yokelpunk | kuro5hin diary ]

Enjoyable to read (none / 1) (#20)
by kukulcan on Sat Mar 24, 2007 at 03:25:53 PM EST

...I liked it very much.

I used to work... (none / 1) (#22)
by driptray on Sat Mar 24, 2007 at 05:43:38 PM EST

...for a company that made MRI machines (not GE).

They have a totally fucking strong magnet in them, so strong that if you have a metal plate in you it'll be ripped out through your flesh. Rings can take your finger off.

Occasionally I had to write up the accident reports. The best was when somebody left an oxygen cylinder in the MRI room. When the MRI machine was switched on that cylinder went flying at about 300 mph into the middle of the gantry where the patient was lying - she was smashed - dead.

It really was for the better that you didn't wear the metal belt buckle.

The reason why doctors hate to give patients MRI is because they're really expensive. They guard over those things and try and keep them for the extra-special deserving cases, whoever they are. But the thing is, MRIs are really great for diagnosing lots of stuff.

And yeah, MRIs make a helluva noise, but all the manufacturers make a big deal about trying to make them quieter, or at least they sell them on that basis, giving them names like "whisper-quiet" and other bullshit.

A certain proportion of patients totally freak out during MRIs, due to either the noise or the fact that they feel claustrophobic, or both. That's another reason medical staff can be reluctant to give them.
We brought the disasters. The alcohol. We committed the murders. - Paul Keating

Best remove the Prince Albert then [n/t] (3.00 / 2) (#23)
by Herring on Sat Mar 24, 2007 at 06:21:30 PM EST

Say lol what again motherfucker, say lol what again, I dare you, no I double dare you
Either you do, or the machine does. (3.00 / 5) (#24)
by xC0000005 on Sat Mar 24, 2007 at 06:43:39 PM EST

Make an informed choice.

Voice of the Hive - Beekeeping and Bees for those who don't
Claustrophobia (none / 1) (#25)
by xC0000005 on Sat Mar 24, 2007 at 06:47:02 PM EST

Had one of these. Never thought of myself as claustrophobic but with 103 degree fever, barely able to move and sliding into that machine I came pretty close to freaking out. I like to think of myself as a rational adult (mostly) but the circumstances weighed heavily against staying calm. On the other hand, I felt so sick I didn't move at all. Just freaked out inside.

My two year old had to have one. They put her out for it. Doctor said he'd been doing pediatrics for 25 years, the tech there was the senior one at the hospital (and according to the doctor, the only one to remain the entire time) and both immediately said "Drug her. Better for her. Better for you, Better for everyone." And we did. She slept through the whole mess.

Voice of the Hive - Beekeeping and Bees for those who don't

Expensive? Where? (none / 0) (#33)
by bgarcia on Mon Mar 26, 2007 at 06:55:01 AM EST

When my doctor told me to get an MRI, I imagined having to call the local hospital, find out which hospital actually had an MRI machine, and then wait several weeks before I could get an appointment. But here in the U.S., there are companies that do nothing buy MRI's. I was referred to one in my local town. I called them up and was given an appointment for the next day! Once they buy these machines, they try to get as much use out of them as they can, apparently.

Does that make it inexpensive? $ (none / 0) (#37)
by icastel on Tue Mar 27, 2007 at 02:47:42 PM EST

-- I like my land flat --
I had some shoulder work done a few years ago. (none / 0) (#26)
by The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy on Sat Mar 24, 2007 at 07:04:35 PM EST

... and had to go in for an MRI as well. No fancy headphones, just a speaker on the inside of the thing right next to my head. They hadn't warned me about it beforehand, so when I heard a voice right in my ear I jolted up and banged my head on the top of the machine.

... other than that it was pretty boring.

The dye test was by far the worst part. I can't remember what it was called though. I'm a huge pussy when it comes to needles, so when they told me they were going to have to numb the area to stick the needle in me, you can imagine how thrilled I was. The thing looked like something you'd stick in an elephant, but I imagine that was just my fear-addled brain.

There was a very stern "Don't move, or...", and I tuned out that part.

Needle in shoulder socket for extended period of time, pumping some kind of dye that would show up on an x-ray, the idea being that if any leaked out, my rotator cuff was in fact fucked. Fairly uncomfortable. Took about 2 hours-ish for the swelling to go down and my joint to feel like normal-ish.

___
I'm a pompous windbag, I take myself far too seriously, and I single-handedly messed up K5 by causing the fiction section to be created. --localroger

why do you think they call it practice? (2.25 / 4) (#29)
by postDigital on Sat Mar 24, 2007 at 08:41:10 PM EST

About 15 years ago, I was handed oversight on a contract to assess inter-departmental compatibility issues/solutions at a county hospital. It was the only community hospital (readily admitted the uninsured) in a metro that had just experienced a decade of double digit annual population growth. The system core consisted of two old mainframes and the admissions/billing/records were listed on the contract as being a COBOL package. I'd been chosen because in the early 80's I'd payed for a few semesters at a University by being a systems grunt on their mainframes, and used this as resume fluff. I picked the 2 best network guys who who were unencumbered domestically and went packing for a several month adventure...into a politicised madhouse run by morons.

The hospital was overseen by 6 politicians, 2 each from the 3 political entities the hospital's coverage encompassed, 1 ass kissing unelected local citizen of idle rich wife charitible time donating noteworthiness, and 2 silverback MDs. None of these individuals had any background in computer networks. Back then, many Medical offices had recently upgraded into Win3.11 for workgroups, and acquired accessibility to insurance information via a modem. A new digital dawning. The MDs were pretty cool, and were the only ones who actually tried to get a grasp of the problems and needs. The politicians were afraid of properly managing budgetary concerns, because they didn't want to be portrayed has fiscally irresponsible in their next election. The citizen board member was an asskissing, backstabbing cunt to the nth degree, whose wake in passage left a choking aroma of hairspray mixed with a scent of her perfume, which always reminded me of RAID®.

The IT staff was very competent considering their base pay was woefully substandard (good benefits though), and the budget a joke. The dual mainframe system was mirrored for redundancy, and in theory, one was for admissions/front office and the other for internal staff use. In reality there seemed to be a constant battle to keep the systems up, and very often all network calls were time sliced off of one mainframe while the other was being jerry rigged back into operations. Often that process included IT attempting to rewire burned boards, because the budget hadn't accounted properly for routine network replacements. That was the easy part though. When we started to check out individual departments, we discovered that all new equipment purchasing decisions was left entirely up to departmental heads, and the deciding factor had often been decided by which team of reps had thrown the best party, and far to often the choice had been a self-contained proprietary systems box without any default methods to call home to mother nix.

Neurology stands out in my mind, partially because I befriended and dated an EEG tech, and partly because the Departmental head was an expat UK pompous arse of a MD who'd practised in the US without green card for almost 20 years, and was in the process of receiving a free ride from INS (he had been paying taxes, somehow, but I never figured out how without a valid SSN). The EEG supervisor was an ignorant trailer trash woman from Houston, who spent a great deal of the workday teaching her daughter the ins and outs of scamming welfare cheese and milk for the gradbastardbaby, and who had managed to get credentialed without being able to begin to parse an EEG, or even having a fundamental understanding of just what the squiggly lines on the chart meant. She just said that it wasn't something EEG techs were supposed to do, that was a job for neurologists, and she was right, by the book, but tell that to a pediatric neurosurgeon resident who had called in an emergency late night EEG for an infant admitted with serious head trauma from a car accident, and desperately was in need of a bit of cluefullness, and unwilling to wait until 9 or 10 the next morning after the Department Head had arrived, settled in, and begun to read the inbox charts, because the infant's brain was swelling up against the skull.

The main EEG machine was a brand new box out of Boston, completely closed proprietarily. It burned data onto a disc referred to as a worm (write once, read many), and hospital costs ran a little over $60 each. Staff Neurologists wanted a digital method for their front offices to access EEG records. I contacted the manufacturer in an attempt to get file specs for the output to facilitate network compatibility, and was informed that it too was closed proprietarily, and refused to release it to me. Off the timesheet and together with the IT head, we backwards engineered the file format, and worked out a script to parse it into data he could handle on his mainframe. He then put together an exterior data tap, which did not break any warranty seals and was removable, that was able to feed into the main system. This was a bright spot in an ugly assignment.

The tech and I continued to communicate and occasionally date for a couple of years, until she finally got a clue, and accepted a group practise's offer to run their inhouse EEG lab, and got married a while after that. Needless to say, we no longer communicate on a regular basis anymore.

+1, anecdote (none / 0) (#32)
by magic curl on Sun Mar 25, 2007 at 06:58:56 PM EST

Deep front squats fixed my knee (none / 0) (#31)
by MotorMachineMercenary on Sun Mar 25, 2007 at 01:25:30 PM EST

I had an old stress injury in my other knee for years. It sometimes flared up, causing some pain - nothing serious, but enough to be annoying. After I did deep front squats  - deep enough for my ass to leave a streak on the floor - with proper form for a few weeks, the pain was gone, and has stayed away.

MMM: the thinking man's idiot
- zombie twisted sandshoe

MRIs and OJ (none / 0) (#35)
by magpi3 on Mon Mar 26, 2007 at 02:51:14 PM EST

I have a heart condition that has resulted in about half a dozen MRIs. For the most part I am use to them, with the exception that I always feel pretty spacey for about 15 minutes afterwards. On one of these occasions I walked back into the waiting room and everyone was quietly but intently staring at the television. And I mean everyone: patients, doctors, nurses, staff, everyone.

Suddenly, all of the black people in the room (who were generally the non-specialized staff) erupted into a loud cheer, while the white people simply stared at the TV, kind of open-mouthed. I just started at them all, feeling wobbly and very surreal. What were they watching? The jury announce the verdict in the OJ trial.

This was in Philadelphia, PA, USA. We have racial tension issues.

Going in head first (none / 0) (#38)
by King Salamander on Wed Mar 28, 2007 at 10:08:59 PM EST

I've had a few MRIs. For all of them I went in head first.

The first two were for head injuries, so I reasonably didn't remember much.

The most recent was for my lower back. Since I'd had two MRIs before I said I didn't need the blindfold. Off I went into the clean, spotless, beige, 3 foot diameter tunnel. My entire field of vision was beige. I couldn't move my arms much even if I wanted to. I couldn't turn over or crawl out if I needed to...

I was claustrophobic for the first time in my life. Fortunately, I convinced myself I was alright by closing my eyes and taking deep breaths.

I still get freaked out wen I think about that MRI.