Linux vs. OpenBSD

By Trollaxor in Fiction
Wed Dec 17, 2003 at 04:52:59 PM EST
Tags: Humour (all tags)
Humour

I received the email first thing in the morning from the IT department. Our network would be undergoing a major overhaul to correct the ad hoc growth it had experienced in the last year, and starting next week Internet access would be sporadic. There would also be a new firewall and security measures, replacing the old OpenBSD system I'd managed to get installed last Spring. Happy for the heads-up, I went to work right away to make sure Linux had no place on our network.

Since the Open Source Mullet had been canned, a new threat had arisen at my workplace: the Fat Perl Hacker had assumed most of the Open Source Mullet's system and network administration duties, and it was no mystery to anyone at my workplace that he had a hard-on for Linux tucked away under his enormous, cascading gut. Since he was a major suck-up and workaholic, he had a lot more credibility than the Open Source Mullet — this would be a real challenge for once.

That night, I went to work on my strategy. First, I would document the changes in Linux and OpenBSD since a year ago when we last went with a security plan. Linux was still at version 2.4, while OpenBSD had raced from version 2.8 to 3.1 — a major revision! This was good so far, and I included the relevant diffs for each. I wondered what the Fat Perl Hacker was up to and pushed ahead with my preparations.

Tuesday morning, I went to talk with the VP of Operations, who had final say on the network project. I wouldn't leave anything to chance. But after chatting with him for a few minutes, I learned of a major monkey-wrench I hadn't expected: instead of a Unix firewall system, he was planning on installing a dedicated firewall box — running Windows XP Server. Thankful for my fortuitous social engineering, I went back to my desk and began making over my strategy to deal with this new threat. Not only would I have to deal with Linux, I'd have to eschew the Windows option now.

Sitting in front of my iBook after work, I realized that taking on Windows XP in the same manner I was going to deal with Linux would be foolish if not wasteful. Obviously the Windows option was not about numbers, anecdotes, or experience. It was a bean-counting decision and all of the security statistics in the world wouldn't matter. Since I hadn't the foggiest about how our accountants viewed the whole operation and didn't have time to learn, I'd have implement a rapid-fire real-life assault on the Windows box, which was sitting on the VP's desk awaiting its place on the network. It was time to put on my Black Hat, and that night I stayed up until 02:00 researching Windows XP vulnerabilities. Linux would have to wait.

With just two days before the network changeover was to take place, I marched into work Wednesday morning knowing that what I did in the next few hours would decide the fate of our network security. To my surprise, just moments after I had sat down, the Fat Perl Hacker asked me to join him for a cigarette outside — away from the ears and eyes of the office. 15 minutes later, I was fully aware of the precarious situation I was in.

Joining forces with the Fat Perl Hacker was something I had thought about but hadn't wanted to consider. It was a double-edged sword, and I wasn't about to kid myself. Although I am damn good, he had another full decade of experience over me and that included office politics. If we aided each other I ran the risk of pushing for Linux, even if inadvertently. And I certainly wasn't about to reveal my anti-Linux research to him. After doing some quick scheming, I agreed to help the Fat Perl Hacker dissuade the VP from using Windows XP — but I had my own twist to what would follow after. Knowing my shortcomings, I decided to do the only thing that would give me an edge. And that was doing something that I knew better than anyone else at my office: playing dirty.

After a power-lunch of strategizing, the Fat Perl Hacker and I went to work on cracking the Windows XP box into oblivion. We then called back to the VP and told him to load the web administration page on the firewall box. A few minutes later he was standing in my cubicle smiling. I already had a print-out of the exploits we had used and handed them to him without a word. After looking it over for a minute, he shook his head and chewed his lip. He looked at the Fat Perl Hacker and I and told us to have something more secure ready by tomorrow morning before returning to his office. Now it was crunch time. The Fat Perl Hacker smiled at me in victory, and I smiled back at him in anticipation of putting my grand plot to work.

Now early Thursday morning, I revised my anti-Linux, pro-OpenBSD presentation into an airtight backup. I would use it as my last-ditch effort in case my primary plan failed. And that primary plan just happened to be underhanded, dirty, scandalous, unfair, and full of treason. After closing PowerPoint X I carefully downloaded and burned Slackware and OpenBSD 3.1 on the same brand of blanks the the Fat Perl Hacker used. I happened to know, thanks to some late-night "overtime" I put in the night before, that the Fat Perl Hacker was planning on presenting a burnt CD of Slackware as the solution to our firewall problem. Now if only I wasn't so scatter-brained and mislabeled burnt CDs so easily!

After a few brief hours of sleep, I waltzed into the VP's office, asking when we would have our meeting about the firewall. He asked me if 30 minutes was OK, to which I said was fine, and also asked that I go and ask the Fat Perl Hacker if that was good for him as well. Back in the cubicle farm, I told the Fat Perl Hacker that the VP wanted to talk to him about the meeting. I had about 45 seconds in his empty cubicle to find his Slackware CD, replace it with my mislabeled OpenBSD CD, and book it back to my cubicle to put on an innocent face. I just barely made it as I passed him on the way back to my seat. Wiping the sweat from my brow, I read my email for the next 28 minutes.

The moment of truth had finally arrived as I sat down in the conference room in front of a newly-purchased, bare Pentium4 PC. The Fat Perl Hacker joined me and the VP moments later and we got down to business. The VP smiled and said he knew we both probably had our own ideas about network security, and he wanted to hear them both. Playing the fool I volunteered to let the Fat Perl Hacker present his solution first. I tried vainly to suppress a smile as he slipped his CD from its sleeve. Holding it up, he said the magic words I had counted on him saying:

This is all we'll ever need to keep the network secure.

A few beeps and whirs later from the PC and the Fat Perl Hacker was greeted by OpenBSD 3.1, ready to format and install on the hard drive. Not waiting a second for his jaw to unslacken, I jumped up, slapped the table, and exclaimed that I couldn't have picked better myself, shaking my own burnt CD in the air. What a coincidence! And things just got better from there. So much better, in fact, that I didn't even need to bust out my PowerPoint presentation. It turned out that Fiscal wanted an answer right then and there, I heard through the freshly-answered phone, and the VP didn't waste an instant telling them he was on his way. That is, before informing the Fat Perl Hacker that he was about to get assigned a bunch of new security modules to customize and that I'd have to do the firewall install and configuration. The L-word hadn't even been uttered during the meeting and I was homefree.

The weekend overtime didn't bother me at all. I got time-and-a-half for it and the firsthand opportunity to make sure OpenBSD would oversee the sanctity of our network. Things went so well that we didn't even have any network hiccups the next Monday morning. Despite the unexpected Windows XP push, the Fat Perl Hacker's Linux obsession, and a few variables left to chance, I had come through with flying colors and even impressed myself.

The Fat Perl Hacker, however, never invited me to join him for a cigarette again.

o Also by Trollaxor

Linux vs. OpenBSD | 119 comments (71 topical, 48 editorial, 2 hidden)
awesome n/t (1.66 / 6) (#2)
by skelter on Mon Dec 15, 2003 at 09:24:57 PM EST

Thank you, sir. nt (1.66 / 6) (#4)
by Trollaxor on Mon Dec 15, 2003 at 09:25:44 PM EST

well (2.00 / 4) (#5)
by skelter on Mon Dec 15, 2003 at 09:26:38 PM EST

Not because I share your anti-linux sentiments, but more because I share your anti-fat-perl-hacker views. Man, I hate fat perl hackers.

And the CD switching thing is cool too.

New BSD slogan (2.76 / 21) (#8)
by waxmop on Mon Dec 15, 2003 at 09:40:27 PM EST

BSD: when even linux nerds aren't smelly enough.
We are a monoculture of horsecock. Liar
Thank you, sir. nt (2.00 / 8) (#9)
by Trollaxor on Mon Dec 15, 2003 at 09:55:44 PM EST

Thank you, sir. nt (2.20 / 10) (#13)
by Trollaxor on Mon Dec 15, 2003 at 10:23:43 PM EST

The BOFH has nothing on you, Trollaxor. (1.44 / 9) (#15)
by it certainly is on Mon Dec 15, 2003 at 10:29:36 PM EST

ur so r33t!

kur0shin.org -- it certainly is

Godwin's law [...] is impossible to violate except with an infinitely long thread that doesn't mention nazis.

Hey Trollaxor, (2.16 / 6) (#19)
by rmg on Tue Dec 16, 2003 at 12:27:00 AM EST

What's the deal with this Mac and OpenBSD stuff? Do you really have any interest in either? and if so, why?

What is it that drives you to write these strange stories about Macs, Linux, and OpenBSD?

_____ intellectual tiddlywinks

The stories aren't that strange. (2.42 / 7) (#50)
by Trollaxor on Tue Dec 16, 2003 at 05:03:28 PM EST

Most of them are 100% true recollections of things that happen in real life. This story is one such example.

Both are going the way of VMS, Alpha or PA-RISC (none / 0) (#87)
by lukme on Wed Dec 17, 2003 at 10:43:25 PM EST

I just surprised that he doesn't have an obsession with HP-UX, Ultrix, Dec-UNIX, VMS or CMP. All things considered, I bet Trollaxor runs a either PA-RISC system running HPUX or a PDP-11 running ULTRIX at home as his backup system.

-----------------------------------
It's awfully hard to fly with eagles when you're a turkey.
Playing Dirty: Fat Perl Hacker's Revenge (2.90 / 41) (#20)
by Sloppy on Tue Dec 16, 2003 at 12:27:58 AM EST

But then, suddenly without warning, the VP said he also needed a server in addition to a firewall, and that would be the topic of the next meeting. "No problem," thought Trollaxor, "OpenBSD can serve just fine."

When the meeting day arrived, Trollaxor brought his OpenBSD CD and Trollaxor brought his Slackware CD. Trollaxor smiled with confidence. But then the VP said, "Thank you for helping me choose the hardware, Fat Perl Hacker." Trollaxor's heart sank when he saw: the test machine had two processors! "No fair!" whined Trollaxor.

And then Fat Perl Hacker casually mentioned, "Perhaps you're right, Trollaxor. The days of dual-processor machines are numbered. It doesn't seem fair to suggest dual processors." Trollaxor smiled with relief, but was suspicious.

Fat Perl Hacker continued, "Because, after all, the future of CPUs is that they'll all be dual-cored. Two (or more) execution units on a single $100 processor chip, some day." Trollaxor's spirits fell to the depths of despair. Fat Perl Hacker continued, "We already see the beginning of this trend with the Xeon's Hyperthreading feature and the dual-core processors that IBM is working on."

Trollaxor cried, and then desperately tried to grasp at straws -- he compromised by suggesting FreeBSD (which has decent SMP capability) instead of OpenBSD (which only runs on old-fashioned hardware), but it was too late, because the VP had already read between the lines: BSD is dying.
"RSA, 2048, seeks sexy young entropic lover, for several clock cycles of prime passion..."

meh (none / 1) (#79)
by niku on Wed Dec 17, 2003 at 05:20:58 PM EST

They'll get there.
It's very doubtfull that *BSD will die; they do not try (with the exception of freebsd) to play in general markets. OpenBSD's is security, NetBSD's is embedded & platforms that have died or have no unix port. They have always been niche players, but they fill the niche they've chosen very well.

Nicholas Bernstein, Technologist, artist, etc.
No, I'm pretty sure BSD is dying. (2.66 / 6) (#80)
by sllort on Wed Dec 17, 2003 at 05:28:10 PM EST

Thanks though.
Warning: On Lawn is a documented liar.
not so fast! (none / 0) (#121)
by neozeed on Sun Jul 18, 2004 at 12:44:48 PM EST

OpenBSD 3.5-current is boots quite nice on my 8 way machine, thank you very much, and *YES* it does see all eight cpu's!

-----------------------
Unless you're alive you can't play. And if you don't play, you don't get to be alive.

+1FP hahahahaha Trollaxor -nt (1.45 / 11) (#21)
by Ronald Reagan3 on Tue Dec 16, 2003 at 12:41:43 AM EST

excellent fiction. (2.00 / 7) (#24)
by pb on Tue Dec 16, 2003 at 01:23:03 AM EST

Now if only someone could explain to me how OpenBSD's horrible performance helps improve security...
-- pwhysall
Easy question (2.66 / 9) (#36)
by Highlander on Tue Dec 16, 2003 at 08:49:51 AM EST

If an OpenBsd server is attacked by a password guessing program, the attacker will need longer to guess the right password :-P

Moderation in moderation is a good thing.
Re: excellent fiction. (2.50 / 6) (#37)
by hovil on Tue Dec 16, 2003 at 08:56:06 AM EST

Because a fork bomb will take so much longer to waste all available resources, which in turn will give you enough time to fix it.

maybe (none / 3) (#81)
by rankor on Wed Dec 17, 2003 at 08:16:26 PM EST

you should read http://www.openbsd.org/goals.html

performance is nowhere on the page.
performance takes a back seat in any security|performance decision.

That said, FeFe's paper did expose a couple of problems that AFAIK are either fixed or a fix is in the works.  There are known workarounds to some of the issues and do more to reflect FeFe's inexperience with OpenBSD than any inherent problems.

But, I do realize that when someone quotes FeFe's paper as a reason not to use OpenBSD, they have missed the point of OpenBSD completely and are most likely either a) ignorant, or b) trolling.

premature conclusions (none / 1) (#96)
by infogrub on Thu Dec 18, 2003 at 08:23:14 PM EST

http://schubert.cx/openbsd/scale-tests/ Please note that the page is not yet complete.

Well, at least its North American (1.11 / 17) (#30)
by sellison on Tue Dec 16, 2003 at 04:34:07 AM EST

even if its from the socialist part, it's better than that finnish warez!

"No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered as patriots. This is one nation under God."- George H.W. Bush
lovely (1.16 / 6) (#31)
by dimaq on Tue Dec 16, 2003 at 04:36:08 AM EST

err (none / 2) (#33)
by WhippetTail on Tue Dec 16, 2003 at 05:51:21 AM EST

Gentoo?

gesundheit (2.25 / 4) (#48)
by International Bestseller on Tue Dec 16, 2003 at 03:41:43 PM EST

#1 on the NY Times bestseller list 37 weeks in a row.

cough *compile* cough (none / 0) (#108)
by dh003i on Sun Dec 21, 2003 at 09:36:39 PM EST

fucking *duh*. When you have to compile the software, it takes forever to install anything. The reason you compile software from source is so it works better from source and is customized for your CPU (questionable benefit)...but the main advantage of that for Gentoo is built-in dependencies.

Social Security is a pyramid scam.

Gosh, how serious you all are... (2.28 / 7) (#35)
by toychicken on Tue Dec 16, 2003 at 07:21:25 AM EST

I kinda like this. Am not a geek, and have no opinion on BSD, linux's, Macs or PC's (well of course I do, but I'm not opening up myself to that kind of troll attraction)

However, what's really scary is the kind of money (where TIME == MONEY) that you guys must be pissing away if you change all your set-ups every time a member of staff leaves. I feel sorry for the VP... well, a bit.

+1...

Just a point for the trolls... biggest security risks to ANY system? Social engineers, disgruntled (ex-)employees and small children posting play-doh into the fan cover. No, really, it happens...

- - - - - - -8<- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Just how many is a Brazillian anyway?

Here is what you sound like: (2.07 / 14) (#44)
by Kasreyn on Tue Dec 16, 2003 at 12:35:24 PM EST

Thank you, and good day.

-Kasreyn

"Extenuating circumstance to be mentioned on Judgement Day:
We never asked to be born in the first place."

R.I.P. Kurt. You will be missed.
Not really. (2.25 / 3) (#56)
by readpunk on Tue Dec 16, 2003 at 08:08:15 PM EST

Jokes like that are funny when you have little to no understanding of what is being discussed. It is possible that you do and still find it amusing and applicable to this persons story, but if you do not, then why take the time to read the piece of fiction and why be on kuro5hin?

./revolution
I find it amusing because (1.50 / 3) (#61)
by Kasreyn on Tue Dec 16, 2003 at 11:42:05 PM EST

First and foremost, I spent ~3 years at Slashduh before coming here. This is definitely par for their course.

Secondly, I'm always amused and saddened by open source geeks fighting amonst themselves. OpenVD and Luniox geeks at each other's throats makes me think of what would happen if the Democrats split themselves into, say, a 9-way race, allowing the Republicans to...

oh, shit. =\

-Kasreyn

"Extenuating circumstance to be mentioned on Judgement Day:
We never asked to be born in the first place."

R.I.P. Kurt. You will be missed.
Right. (none / 0) (#98)
by readpunk on Thu Dec 18, 2003 at 08:48:24 PM EST

The link to the Penny Arcade strip had no "online geek argument" context whatsoever. The joke was just that these two are gamers and one started spewing some "hacker sounding" BSD lingo that if analyzed makes no sense. So the other slaps him for it and this causes the slashdot post discussing one to return to normal.

./revolution
I think... (2.25 / 3) (#57)
by readpunk on Tue Dec 16, 2003 at 08:12:34 PM EST

We may finally see something posted again to the fiction section.

./revolution
Neat!! (2.25 / 3) (#58)
by sanketh on Tue Dec 16, 2003 at 09:03:00 PM EST

Simple and neat. Especially, for such a barebones plot. Good use of foreshadowing, I think.

I'm all for more of such basic stuff and less of complicated analogies (whatever they are called)

+1, section!

== Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

Hear hear! (1.75 / 3) (#66)
by greenrd on Wed Dec 17, 2003 at 03:30:03 AM EST

Yes. K5 is primarily (a) a discussion site and (b) an entertainment site (some would put the entertainment part first). It's not the place for arty-farty "high concept" fiction, IMO. Though no doubt there are some that like that sort of thing, they don't seem to be in the majority.

"Capitalism is the absurd belief that the worst of men, for the worst of reasons, will somehow work for the benefit of us all." -- John Maynard Keynes

Did you crib this from (2.00 / 4) (#59)
by porkchop_d_clown on Tue Dec 16, 2003 at 11:14:26 PM EST

The BOFH?

"Libertarian parenting? Hah! I've got merit badges for nagging and bossing, not to mention the much-coveted Order of the Imperious Order."

+1 FP (2.00 / 4) (#69)
by dasunt on Wed Dec 17, 2003 at 05:52:55 AM EST

OpenBSD makes my network more secure by requiring I have a complete build environment to patch my kernels.

**grumble grumble**

Additional security is provided by having no method of automatically updating binary packages. But that's okay, because all of my servers already have a complete build environment for the kernel.

( Disclaimer: Don't get the wrong impression about OpenBSD -- Its worth a try. Just that I have minor nitpicks about a system that is supposed to be security, advocates binary packages in the official FAQs, then doesn't have a BSD equivalent of 'apt-get upgrade')

Bravo (2.00 / 4) (#71)
by regeya on Wed Dec 17, 2003 at 09:19:31 AM EST

Perfect parody of loser BSD zealot! :-D

Your story ended in an unbelievable way, though; in Real Life, you'd end up with the company still purchasing an XP firewall, unless your company saved money by pirating software, in which case you'd end up with a pirated copy of XP, despite proof of XP's hackability. Why? Well, one of these days you and Fat Perl Hacker won't be there, and XP is user-friendly. Plus, Windows XP is a product.

Trust me, the story is more believable when you end up with the least-likely solution, so long as the least-likely solution costs money.

[ yokelpunk | kuro5hin diary ]

Whoa (none / 0) (#91)
by regeya on Thu Dec 18, 2003 at 09:39:38 AM EST

I hadn't seen drduck in a while!

My comment must have read too much like a legitimate criticism; I seem to have invoked the wrath of the mighty drduck. Don't worry, buddy; I'll post a 'fag' comment or something equally inane, just so you're happy. We wouldn't want kuro5hin.org to be taken away from the crapflooders, after all; it might seem more like a real website, then.

My comment may have sounded bitter, but it was drawn from experience. I presented my boss with a proposal to do away with pirated installations of Office I'd found, and instead, he wants to ask corporate for copies of Microsoft Office. I'm wondering if corporate will be all that keen on buying new copies of Office; I'm thinking no. Anyway, I quietly replaced Office with OpenOffice, and although there was some bitching because "it doesn't look right," things are going okay for now. That doesn't mean they're happy with using something that could just be downloaded and available free-of-charge; somehow, if it's just downloaded off the internet for free, it needs to be illegal or something to be worth using. :-P

[ yokelpunk | kuro5hin diary ]

"User Friendly" (none / 0) (#109)
by A synx on Mon Dec 22, 2003 at 09:29:09 AM EST

"User Friendly" is a term invented by Microsoft to describe their operating systems.  :)  Not a good justification for choosing their OS over another.  *nix systems can be very user friendly, unless your users are unable to learn how to use a keyboard.

Starling
Who finds endless popups not very "user friendly," thank you very much Microsoft IE.

Bravo (none / 1) (#119)
by timmay on Fri Jan 16, 2004 at 04:14:18 PM EST

I also like to use OpenBSD for network servers, but I'm afraid that the realistic result is, yes, they would let the hacked XP box be the firewall anyway.  They do not care, you can not communicate with them.  Just collect your paycheck.  Of course, they would yell at you and make you come in on Saturday night to fix it when the owned XP box goes down, instead of spending the night with your lady.

So you sit there on a Saturday, click, wait, did it know that I clicked?  Click again, gaa!  Now an error window popped up for every time I clicked.  Hating life through the tears, and wondering why the XP Plus! Pack was installed on a firewall, you finally just relent and decide to make pizzas for a living until you can find a job writing assembly code on Z80's in a factory.  At least there are no Plus! Packs written in assembler.  And there are a lot of neat things you can do with a serial port and some relays.
Gaa! This software is completely broken.

+1 Sec (2.00 / 6) (#74)
by rachsumat on Wed Dec 17, 2003 at 01:51:36 PM EST

Nice job. You've been reading BOFH :)
"Be the wire. Shhhh. Wires don't talk..."
I Love You Trollaxor! (none / 3) (#76)
by CheeseburgerBrown on Wed Dec 17, 2003 at 04:38:43 PM EST

You have redeemed the Fiction Section.

___
I am from a small, unknown country in the north called Ca-na-da. We are a simple, grease-loving people who enjoy le weekend de ski. Personally, I pref
Thank you, sir. nt (none / 3) (#77)
by Trollaxor on Wed Dec 17, 2003 at 04:54:58 PM EST

OpenBSD is great! (2.75 / 8) (#78)
by ENOENT on Wed Dec 17, 2003 at 05:08:42 PM EST

It's one of my favorite Linux distributions!

So nyah.

Brilliant (none / 3) (#82)
by cam on Wed Dec 17, 2003 at 08:33:16 PM EST

First fiction article I have read through.

cam
Freedom, Liberty, Equity and an Australian Republic

Thank you, sir. nt (none / 3) (#83)
by Trollaxor on Wed Dec 17, 2003 at 08:44:49 PM EST

I hope we've all learned an important lesson here (2.66 / 9) (#84)
by opensorcerer on Wed Dec 17, 2003 at 09:11:35 PM EST

And that is that it takes dirty dealing, underhanded trickery and outright deception to get your company to use BSD.

Steve Arlo: There aren't evil guys and innocent guys. It's just... It's just... It's just a bunch of guys.
Dearest Trollaxor (3.00 / 6) (#85)
by shoeboy on Wed Dec 17, 2003 at 09:15:13 PM EST

You are, have been and will continue to be, the man.

--Shoeboy
No more trolls!

Thank you, sir. nt (3.00 / 4) (#86)
by Trollaxor on Wed Dec 17, 2003 at 09:53:25 PM EST

Where're your stories, shoeboy? (none / 0) (#90)
by ts on Thu Dec 18, 2003 at 12:58:13 AM EST

Might be the problem with k5 search?

Maybe I should just try google. I used to like your stories.

I haven't written much of late (none / 1) (#94)
by shoeboy on Thu Dec 18, 2003 at 04:23:26 PM EST

Google is a fine bet, as is Adequacy.org.
--Peter Johnson
No more trolls!
OpenBSD Performance Facts (1.50 / 4) (#88)
by foon on Wed Dec 17, 2003 at 11:07:10 PM EST

OpenBSD 3.4 was a real stinker in these tests. The installation routine sucks, the disk performance sucks, the kernel was unstable, and in the network scalability department it was even outperformed by it's father, NetBSD. OpenBSD also gets points deducted for the sabotage they did to their IPv6 stack. If you are using OpenBSD, you should move away now.

More info here

Web Server vs. Firewall (none / 1) (#89)
by hardburn on Wed Dec 17, 2003 at 11:47:01 PM EST

That report only deals with web server-ish stuff. OpenBSD isn't really used for that. The developers sacrified too much performance to make it useful for a large-scale web deployment.

----
while($story = K5::Story->new()) { $story->vote(-1) if($story->section() == $POLITICS); }

Why networks get hacked (none / 1) (#104)
by KaBewM on Sat Dec 20, 2003 at 09:31:54 PM EST

> What you get back is something that is likely the most secure OS out of the box you can find. So you put it in places where security is your top priority. In practice, that means firewalls, and not much else. Actually this is why networks are so damn insecure, security should be a part of everything. Having a secure firewall does nothin if you got untrusted users, lame passwords, and wide open permissions.

It's hardly fact (none / 0) (#95)
by infogrub on Thu Dec 18, 2003 at 08:19:47 PM EST

http://schubert.cx/openbsd/scale-tests/ Please note that page is not yet complete.

well (none / 0) (#110)
by Ras Vagrant on Mon Dec 22, 2003 at 01:39:13 PM EST

I really didn't appreciate the way open bsd crashed on an x86 machine I had after I ran netscape. I also didn't like the way openbsd sparc died on some machines I had, reliably after 4 days of uptime. Symptoms were that perms on several files in /bin/ got changed and then wham, the boxes would lock up. No they weren't on a network. So I know it wasn't being hacked. I used to think openbsd was cool, but now I just run linux.

uh-huh.... (none / 0) (#120)
by neozeed on Sun Jul 18, 2004 at 12:31:21 PM EST

that's why your 'argument' pulls up a 404 error... nice.

-----------------------

Great fiction (none / 1) (#92)
by Spoonman on Thu Dec 18, 2003 at 10:54:30 AM EST

Although, seeing as I've never seen anyone get into a firewalled XP box, I'd love to know what kinds of exploits a "genius" would use to do it in an hour.
Answering the age-old question: Which is more painful, going to work or gouging your eye out with a spoon?
www.workorspoon.com
Ones that aren't released ... (none / 0) (#100)
by Armada on Fri Dec 19, 2003 at 12:07:41 PM EST

... and as long as I keep them to myself ...

... never will be.

nice (none / 2) (#93)
by modmans2ndcoming on Thu Dec 18, 2003 at 11:40:17 AM EST

but this sys-admin sounds more like a windows admin than an OBSD admin. I mean he spouts FUD all over the place.

Nice. (none / 1) (#97)
by trejkaz on Thu Dec 18, 2003 at 08:35:55 PM EST

Avoid getting marked Troll by marking it as Fiction. Hahaha... great work.

I wish Slashdot had such a category. :-(

Not realistic. (none / 0) (#99)
by actmodern on Fri Dec 19, 2003 at 11:39:11 AM EST

You both would have been fired for breaking into the XP box. You may have possibly faced jail time, and your VP would have been made a hero :)

LilDebbie challenge: produce the water sports scene from bable or stfu. It does not exist.
Pedant alert (none / 0) (#101)
by kero on Fri Dec 19, 2003 at 02:57:14 PM EST

Learn what eschew means and how it is used.

Excellent point, thank you. (3.00 / 4) (#102)
by Trollaxor on Fri Dec 19, 2003 at 04:05:07 PM EST

We'll see if I can get one of the eds to change it in this version, but I'll update mine soon.

Gentoo (none / 0) (#107)
by dh003i on Sun Dec 21, 2003 at 09:34:46 PM EST

if you really want to compile everything, there's always Gentoo...though that's the least important reason why Gentoo's a good distro (#1: customizeability; #2: Great docs; #3: The users aren't assholes, you won't hear RTFM a lot).

Social Security is a pyramid scam.

Compiling is King! (IMHO) (none / 0) (#113)
by aeakett on Mon Dec 22, 2003 at 09:33:32 PM EST

While your points 1 through 3 are quite important, I have to disagree with you. Custom compilation allows you to extract maximuum performance from your old hardware. Especially when you combine it with the Intel C compiler which tends to provide tighter binaries with a smaller footprint.

RTFM (none / 1) (#116)
by polish surprise on Wed Dec 24, 2003 at 11:51:59 AM EST

If Gentoo users are anything like you, I wouldn't touch the fuckers with a 10-foot pole.

Controversy is my middle name.

Either I am having serious Deja Vu (none / 1) (#111)
by toganet on Mon Dec 22, 2003 at 03:05:27 PM EST

Or this story is a repeat.

Trollaxor, didn't you write this like a year ago, with a Redhat CD taking the place of the Slackware one?

Wait a minute -- someone replaced my Risperdal with Mentos!

Answer: (none / 0) (#112)
by Trollaxor on Mon Dec 22, 2003 at 04:53:23 PM EST

Yes. I've edited it several times since then of course. I can't remember the exact date that it was written on, but putting it somwhere around May of 2002 would be a good guesstimate.

Thank God! (none / 1) (#115)
by toganet on Tue Dec 23, 2003 at 03:14:31 PM EST

Now I can stop the Odwalla Superfood/Gin/Lime binge and switch back to beer!

Johnson's law: Systems resemble the organizations that create them.

Linux vs. OpenBSD | 119 comments (71 topical, 48 editorial, 2 hidden)