Im-ur Claims Patent-Pending on Kuro5hin-like Site

By DoctorE in Internet
Mon Nov 13, 2000 at 05:08:51 PM EST
Tags: News (all tags)
News

The motto of "The Daily Newspaper of the Web", im-ur, is "Written by the users, Edited by the readers." Sound familiar? You bet.

They claim (and I quote):

• im-ur is the world's only newspaper operated by the readers, for the readers.
  • im-ur is the only content site on the web that gives you the power of the media. You are the journalist. You are the editor.
  • the im-ur system and technology is patent pending.
  • Oh, come on now. Is this going to be another "One-click" patent situation? What would we do if im-ur gets the patent and decides to go after kuro5hin for license fees?

o Kuro5hin
    o im-ur
    o Also by DoctorE

Im-ur Claims Patent-Pending on Kuro5hin-like Site | 103 comments (98 topical, 5 editorial, 0 hidden)
    Wow. (1.59 / 22) (#4)
    by pb on Mon Nov 13, 2000 at 03:26:58 PM EST

What a "clever" name.

What insipid discussion.

$500? Hey... :)

Anyhow, if I want to shoot for a $500 prize that I'm not going to win, I'll enter a programming contest or something.

Oh, and for the record, it does say "patent pending" on their web page. I'd cite kuro5hin as prior art. Or perhaps newsgroups. Or the printing press...
    -- pwhysall

No... (2.42 / 7) (#9)
    by 11223 on Mon Nov 13, 2000 at 04:18:55 PM EST

You should be entering a real programming contest instead.

The dead hand of Asimov's mass psychology wins every time.

user ids... (2.36 / 22) (#6)
    by 31: on Mon Nov 13, 2000 at 03:33:27 PM EST

Does it bug anyone else that their guest account has userid=0? I wonder what # root has...

-Patrick
    User ids (3.00 / 7) (#18)
    by zerth on Mon Nov 13, 2000 at 06:40:38 PM EST

I don't know, but its probably easy to get. For example, Someone just posted as user id -1

Scary.

Rusty isn't God here, he's the pope; our God is pedantry. -- Subtillus
    hrmm (2.26 / 19) (#8)
    by daevt on Mon Nov 13, 2000 at 04:00:31 PM EST

i hope they try to go after the editorial section of every news paper every where. btw, their site is pretty fucking ugly and lacks any coheision (ok so i can't spell) or any kind of common ground that i can find, not to mention if they ever took k5 to court the judge would laugh, they're trying to patent the zine.
    yo
    Laugh? (1.75 / 8) (#15)
    by darthaya on Mon Nov 13, 2000 at 05:53:00 PM EST

Can't you(we) do something about it other than just sit aside and pretend to be cool and "laugh" about it? well, when k5 is ordered by the court to shutdown, you wont be laughing.

If they patent it, good. (3.42 / 19) (#10)
    by Ndog on Mon Nov 13, 2000 at 05:26:34 PM EST

Really, that site looks like crap. Hopefully, they'll get a patent that won't allow any other sites to be as poorly designed as theirs. They're so interested in making it a "newspaper" that they threw usability out the window. It's one thing to design the layout that way for a real newspaper, which is limited to the same specific dimensions every day for every reader, but it seems ridiculous on a website.

Realistically, it's impossible to know if a patent is warranted without knowing what they're trying to patent. But if it's crappy site design, have at it.

At least you got to read it. (2.66 / 3) (#47)
    by Dr Fau5tus on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 07:44:27 AM EST

All I got was:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'
    [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets]General network error. Check your network documentation.

/site/entrance.asp, line 60

Then the Banner...
    And erm...that's it.
    _________________________________________________ I'm not censoring you, I'm censuring you. Stop complaining.
    I got worse... (2.00 / 1) (#95)
    by Dr Caleb on Wed Nov 15, 2000 at 11:09:11 PM EST

I tried to create a user ID, then log in. All it did was ask me to log in again. Then I went to a link that someone posted above, and clicked on "ME", hoping to get the main page.

That sent me to an endless loop of Mozilla popping up a dialog "Press OK to load article". Press OK, up it pops again. Lather, rinse, repeat.

This site looks stupid enough to actually get approved for a patent.

Vive Le Canada - For Canadians who give a shit about their country.

There is no K5 cabal.

Let them attempt to come after K5 (3.05 / 17) (#11)
    by General_Corto on Mon Nov 13, 2000 at 05:32:38 PM EST

As long as someone from K5 is proactive about showing that they have been doing these things longer than these people (good site or bad), all should be good.

If this fails, it's the responsability of the patent holder to enforce their rights, and at that point a judge may well take a differing view from the USPTO. It's a tough call to say which option is better (preemptive strike or waiting for a challenge).

The real issue is whether or not these people came up with the idea before the K5 crew. If so, and in a proveable manner, then it could be a tricky situation.

I'm spying on... you!
    If all else fails, move to another country. (2.37 / 16) (#12)
    by rxmd on Mon Nov 13, 2000 at 05:41:37 PM EST

If they really try to go after you for patent reasons, find yourself a country where the respective patent legislation does not apply and move K5 there. Since the main URL is in an .org domain, that wouldn't even have to change.
           /"\
           \ /     ASCII Ribbon Campaign
            X      Against HTML Mail
           / \
    totuus löytyy kaurapuurosta
    Come off it (3.50 / 8) (#13)
    by Simon Kinahan on Mon Nov 13, 2000 at 05:44:57 PM EST

Even if the patent office passes this tripe, a court won't uphold this for 5 minutes. Kuro5hin is really, really obvious prior art.

Simon

If you disagree, post, don't moderate
    Tripe? (1.77 / 9) (#29)
    by irksome on Mon Nov 13, 2000 at 10:29:15 PM EST

Do you honestly expect us to swallow this tripe?

(and now kids, help yourself to this tripe from our friends at the meat council)

I think I am, therefore I'm not.
    Standard Reply (3.25 / 44) (#14)
    by Signal 11 on Mon Nov 13, 2000 at 05:48:35 PM EST

Oh my god, somebody is patenting something that has prior art, is patently obvious (excuse the pun), and could adversely affect the future of the 'net, have a chilling effect on ${civil_right} and affect geeks everywhere! Does the geek community:

a) Revolt! March on Washington DC! Storm the USPO!
    b) Write letters to their legislators and elected officials
    c) Submit prior work to the USPO, file a brief with them, or otherwise raise a fuss.
    d) Post to your weblog of choice and go back to playing Quake.

The correct answer is "D".

Society needs therapy. It's having
    trouble accepting itself.

The "e" option? (2.05 / 17) (#32)
    by techt on Mon Nov 13, 2000 at 10:45:10 PM EST

And why isn't "Hemos" and option?!?? :)

Proud member of the Electronic Frontier Foundation!
    Are You? http://www.eff.org/support/joineff.html
    How can we consider a, b, or c without d) (3.66 / 3) (#81)
    by goonie on Wed Nov 15, 2000 at 12:28:45 AM EST

While Signal 11 is correct in pointing out that the action/rhetoric ratio in the geek community is regrettably low (though considerably higher than in the general population, I'd think), how the heck are "we" supposed to do anything about a particular issue if we don't know about it? How do we inform the community of important issues? Simple - mailing lists, newsgroups, and weblogs. The problem is not that rhetoric is a problem, it's just that it's often not translated into action.

In fact, the lack of action is usually not a real concern anyway, because many political problems *can* be ignored. One of the first things I learned in my sometime hobby of (very small-time) political activism was that you pick your all-in brawls *very* carefully, otherwise you exhaust your potential supporters and they don't have the enthusiasm for the arguments that really matter.

Calm down, folks... (3.40 / 20) (#16)
    by whatnotever on Mon Nov 13, 2000 at 06:31:16 PM EST

I'm somewhat surprised by the seeming lack of rationality in this discussion so far. People are either bashing the site for poor layout, poor discussion, etc, or they are going down the typical /.-patent-comment path (see Sig11's comment for an easy-to-use form).

I think that we're being a little hasty, here. It feels like we're having a knee-jerk reaction to a threat to K5, with the reaction being an offensive on their site. I don't think the site is so bad. It's got some flaws with layout, and perhaps with content, but it has potential.

It's a site with a similar idea to K5/others. So shouldn't this be seen as a good thing? Has anyone considered that maybe they don't realize that their idea has been done numerous times before? I think we should encourage sites like this, and this one just needs a little more information, and maybe a little help.

Re: Calm down, folks... (3.90 / 10) (#19)
    by SEAL on Mon Nov 13, 2000 at 07:00:09 PM EST

Not when they want to have exclusive control of this idea. While people here will probably agree that this idea is obvious, and has prior art, the patent office is an unpredictable beast.

Maybe the folks at this other site feel they have to step up and patent defensively. But if I ran k5, I would be wary of putting my fate in someone else's hands. Seems like a little discussion between siteops would save a lot of long term hassle.

Just my $.02

SEAL

It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

defensive patents (4.22 / 9) (#22)
    by rusty on Mon Nov 13, 2000 at 07:50:39 PM EST

We were actually considering doing the same thing. Maybe it would have been a good idea, eh?

Anyway, there's no indication thos folks are anything but clueless, really. It's not like they're suing us (yet). Look at Company News, they launched in June. That's way after us, for those who are keeping score. :-) Heh. They had Wapner, though. Those bastards.

____
    Not the real rusty

AOL of weblogs (3.30 / 10) (#24)
    by interiot on Mon Nov 13, 2000 at 08:26:19 PM EST

Personally, I see them as the AOL of weblogs. They have topics on everything under the sun. They give money away, ensuring that their audience prefers consumerism over quality. Stories get more exposure only on the merits of their title and first few lines. And they're attracting big media attention.

No... (3.00 / 10) (#25)
    by pb on Mon Nov 13, 2000 at 08:31:11 PM EST

What's not rational? I went to the site, and I saw poor layout, poor discussion, unfounded patent claims...

I'm not worried about the potential threat, I just thought it was a pitiful looking site. That's my rational opinion.

Oh, and by the way, that means it isn't similar to K5; K5 is well-designed, well-thought-out, and rather tasteful.
    -- pwhysall
    Comment Rating (2.80 / 5) (#37)
    by Andrew Dvorak on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 02:11:28 AM EST

I appologize but I chose to rate this comment a "2" because I should like to think people would not sway from the topic so much that they must complain about petty things such as how the site looks. And I'm not sure if your comment is one of anger or disgust. To say the least, I have given your comment one more than one (2) because I respect your opinion but not the arguments favoring it.

RELATED: http://www.kuro5hin.org/?op=comments&sid=2000/11/13/15428/265&cid=27#27

Feel free... (3.25 / 4) (#59)
    by pb on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 12:35:51 PM EST

Rate them however you like. What's with the (broken) link to Interiot's post--do you just not like specific patents?

I think a lot of K5'ers share your opinions here, which is funny, because just about every comment rated under 3.00 will tell you that the site sucks, *and* will tell you exactly why. I think we've got a consensus down here! :)

Now, if you can get a comment rated >= 3.00 telling me why it's great, I'll be impressed. I won't believe you, of course, but if it's a good comment, I might rate it over a two. ;)
    -- pwhysall
    what about indymedia.org? (2.94 / 19) (#17)
    by mfb on Mon Nov 13, 2000 at 06:34:30 PM EST

typical IPO hyperbole!
    indymedia and countless other sites subsist on reader-published articles and a collective rating/moderation process...

Business world (3.78 / 19) (#20)
    by chaoskitty on Mon Nov 13, 2000 at 07:00:15 PM EST

These people are trying to start this as a business. They're not likely to be doing this as a hobby, so the idea of "patent-pending" ideas and features is probably proudly displayed all over their business plan.

For one thin, they're running Windows. That means that they're either illegal because they didn't pay for the NT licenses, or they're legal and did; but if they did, then that implies that this is probably not a side project of some Windows nerd.

For another, the site design is inconsistent (from the main page, where the username and password text are different colours), and the security is flawed (you can stick a different user ID number at the end of the URL and it works).

This implies that there is really not much attention payed to development, but instead to something else. Too much management focus and not enough technical? Perhaps.

Personally, I think that jumping on a "patent-pending" thing is kind of scummy, but I'm not exactly worried.

No security (4.27 / 29) (#21)
    by kovacsp on Mon Nov 13, 2000 at 07:14:59 PM EST

So apparently in their recent move to a non-cookie based site im-ur.com has thrown out all authentication measures. To become user #1 all you have to change is the URL.

See http://www.im-ur.com/site/readopinion.asp?id=9049&CatID=3645&CatTree=90;1238;87;3645&userid=1 for an example.

While not all that pertinent to their "patent-pending" technology, I guess it shows that they don't have much technology at all. And for gods sake, why did they stop using cookies? At least those take a little effort to fake.

Hrm (4.00 / 10) (#23)
    by interiot on Mon Nov 13, 2000 at 08:04:01 PM EST

Which means that it's possible to log in as all the userid's and view the story of your choice, making that story show up on the front page. Anyone care to make kovacsp's comment the most popular one?
      <SCRIPT>function rld() {open('http://www.im-ur.com/site/readopinion.asp?id=9049&CatID=3645&CatTree=90;1238;87;3645&userid=' + Math.ceil(Math.random()*10000), 'imurtarget');}</SCRIPT>

<A HREF="javascript:void(rld());">clickme</A>

I don't know if I'm advocating hacking or not. It's a pretty obvious hole though.

PS. Yes, it does seem to work. The number of readers a page gets isn't updated all the time, it takes a minute or two, then it jumps up suddenly.

Oh, the humor (2.69 / 13) (#28)
    by Nyarlathotep on Mon Nov 13, 2000 at 10:17:17 PM EST

You could keep a story which says "News Flash: This site sucks" at the top of their page.. :)
    Campus Crusade for Cthulhu -- it found me!
    Prior Art up the Wazoo. (3.66 / 18) (#26)
    by irksome on Mon Nov 13, 2000 at 08:35:36 PM EST

There is tons of prior art on this patent. If the patent office grants it, then heads should roll. Here's about 10 examples off the top of my head

Patent Wording? (4.11 / 9) (#27)
    by interiot on Mon Nov 13, 2000 at 08:42:04 PM EST

It depends completely on the patent wording. Since the patent is only pending, the text won't be publicly available, so we can't say which, if any, are prior art.

For instance, if someone were to patent the paper clip, that would be bad, but it could be worded narrowly enough that it doesn't preclude any bent wire from being manufactured. It seems like the patent office encourages patents to be narrower?

Paperclips are public (2.87 / 8) (#30)
    by irksome on Mon Nov 13, 2000 at 10:33:22 PM EST

I would say that the paperclip is probably too widespread in it's use to be patented at this stage. Public Domain or something like that.

Now if somebody (other than M$) tried to patent a "Paperclip-Shaped tool that pops up with stupid hints while using a bloated word processor", I'd be all for it.

I think I am, therefore I'm not.
    The paperclip is patented -- several times (3.66 / 6) (#60)
    by BlaisePascal on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 01:21:50 PM EST

The paperclip has been patented. In fact, several variations on the paperclip have been patented. I've read the patents on the standard paperclip, the fancy butter-fly shaped ones, and various other sorts of similar methods of holding papers together.

Of course, all those patents expired decades ago (they were issued in the 1890's or so. They were a fundamental advance on the prior art, which held papers together by using pins, or folding corners down, or tearing the papers, or staples. Paperclips didn't damage the papers as much.

PHPSlash (4.40 / 5) (#38)
    by FeersumAsura on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 03:32:22 AM EST

Based on that logical argument that would also include any website based around PHPSlash or the origional SlashCode. It's probably some idiot CEO trying to patent everything about. I've already e-mailed companies attacking them for other stupidity related offences. Personally I think we should ban the concept of being able to trademark a phrase. One company is actually trying to TM "Real World" and they think they have a chance.
    The next step will be for banks to try and patent their standard service. The patent could be for "High charges, crap service, stupid staff and insulting adverts." HSBC are the biggest offenders and are just the sort of evil bank to try this.

I'm so pre-emptive I'd nuke America to save time.
    RE: PHPSlash (none / 0) (#102)
    by UrLord on Thu Nov 16, 2000 at 05:43:47 PM EST

<I>The next step will be for banks to try and patent their standard service. The patent could be for "High charges, crap service, stupid staff and insulting adverts."</I>
    <BR>
    Sounds like a viable patent for ISP's, phone companies, almost EVERY service industry imaginable...

We can't change society in a day, we have to change ourselves first from the inside out.

Not forgetting... (2.75 / 4) (#44)
    by pwhysall on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 07:15:10 AM EST

Any site built on SquishDot...
    Peter
    K5 Editors
    CheeseBurgerBrown
    What patent? (4.00 / 1) (#77)
    by kmself on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 11:19:17 PM EST

The problem is that without any specificity on what's being claimed "patent pending", you've no idea what prior art to present. The site claims are vague, and as was noted elsewhere, the phrase "patent pending" merely puts competitors on notice that some patent may apply to some component of the technology.

The site's clue factor appears to be low and falling.

Karsten M. Self
    SCO -- backgrounder on Caldera/SCO vs IBM
    Support the EFF!!
    There is no K5 cabal.

Don't forget one of the NT-based ones! (4.00 / 2) (#78)
    by bradenmcg on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 11:19:48 PM EST

To continue with prior art, note that they could be patenting something based on NT/ASP, you don't see many forums out there built on that platform...

But I happen to know of a little-known one that does a much better job than IM-UR... That site is WonkoSlice.

Check it out, it's a cool place... If you don't mind knowing that it's all running on Win2k. ;)

<leonphelps>Yeah, now, uh, "sig," what is that?</leonphelps>

blush! (none / 0) (#93)
    by wonko on Wed Nov 15, 2000 at 04:24:22 PM EST

Wow. I'm speechless. ;)

The constitution idea is much classier (2.11 / 9) (#31)
    by spezz on Mon Nov 13, 2000 at 10:41:31 PM EST

Seriously.

They just want the patent. Sites ugly? Who cares. They're not trying to sell the site, they want to broker the patent out to AOL or Amazon.

K5's being much more classy about the whole thing and having a constitution would at least make for an interesting court case, should it come to that.

Constitution? (3.00 / 2) (#43)
    by Burb on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 06:13:13 AM EST

Cool or not, how would a constitution help kuro5in defend itself in a patent court case? I can't see the link.

We the people (3.00 / 1) (#65)
    by spezz on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 02:45:01 PM EST

I'm not sure it would help in the sense that it would ward off the others patent. I should hope there's enough prior art for that sort of thing. But as others have noted, we'd have to see the language in the patent to see what they're actually after.

I think it would be interesting in the respect that I'd like to see what the court would say to such a document being brought before them.

So, I don't think it would help specifically, but it would be fun to follow. Inasmuch as patent trials are fun.

Wow! ;-) (2.83 / 18) (#33)
    by MoxFulder on Mon Nov 13, 2000 at 10:45:58 PM EST

Kuro5hin and im-ur sure are similar ...

... except for the fact that im-ur has a much uglier layout, articles that are mostly rants, too much blatant commercialism, a less cool domain name, and none of the people that have made Kuro5hin so successful.

I'm not too worried about im-ur suing Kuro5hin over patents rights or whatever. There are so many cases of prior art that any patent claim would be laughed out of court (i hope!)

"If good things lasted forever, would we realize how special they are?"
    --Calvin and Hobbes

my god that site sucks (1.73 / 15) (#34)
    by Wah on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 12:03:46 AM EST

and it's not just the layout, design, and content.

No wait, yea, that's why it sucks.
    Fail to Obey?
    Click here to enter (2.00 / 7) (#39)
    by squigly on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 03:33:55 AM EST

I totally agree. I hate functionless title pages. And why can't more discussion forums use the slash/scoop style threading? And whay do I have to click twice to get anywhere? OTOH, it seems remarkably popular for a site that has been around for about 6 months. They must be doing something right even if that something is just publicity.

People who sig other people have nothing intelligent to say for themselves - anonimouse
    nothing to say (1.00 / 4) (#35)
    by thePositron on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 12:50:08 AM EST

really

Our voices are heard on im-ur... (4.06 / 15) (#36)
    by Fjord on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 02:02:05 AM EST

Hum...this seems like a perfect time for a little tom-foolery. If we, as the kuro5hin community, don't like the seeming patent put forth by the im-ur community, why don't we just tell them about it. I mean, hey, they claim that is the ONLY place where OUR voices can be heard, so let's be heard. I'm sure that's not what they wanted to hear, but if a couple thousand articles get reported of other sites that just so happened to offer the exact same services came in, what could happen but reveal that they are not the first and only site to deliver user-edited articles.

Then again, they are so obviously professional.
    No one can force an OS down your throat, you ultimately have to pay for it, one way or another. - rednecktek
    Our voices overwhelm im-ur... (4.20 / 5) (#56)
    by interiot on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 11:48:56 AM EST

Personally, I see a difference between your proposal and the evil Javascript I offered. It's one thing to present one or two messages and force them to the top of the heap, where they can be easily deleted at some point. It's another thing altogether to spam them and make their S/N ratio drop significantly.

Patent on what? (3.90 / 11) (#40)
    by squigly on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 03:50:02 AM EST

They just say the technology is "patent pending". This could be a patent on anything. Perhaps its on their clever use of not cookies. Maybe its the UI design of looking like a newspaper. Maybe its on some hidden technology that allows them to compress all comments down to a byte for easy storage (Impossible, but it would be innovative) We need some facts.

Anyone see a patent number?

Pending Patents (4.50 / 6) (#57)
    by interiot on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 11:59:07 AM EST

Pending patents are usually kept secret. From Competitive Patent Strategies by Evan R. Smith:
      Companies that have filed a patent application can lawfully advertise their products as "patent pending." A pending application has no legal force, so competitors may sell the invention until the patent actually issues. Once the patent issues, it can be enforced (although not retroactively) to stop competitors from offering the patented features.

The value of "patent pending" lies in creating uncertainty. Patent applications are secret until they issue, so competitors will only know the status of a pending application if you are foolish enough to reveal it. "Patent pending" may mean a broad patent will issue next week, or it may mean you will obtain a narrow patent three years from now, or no patent at all. Faced with this uncertainty, competitors may hesitate to invest in creating work-alike products.

Re: Pending Patents (none / 0) (#98)
    by forgey on Thu Nov 16, 2000 at 10:08:15 AM EST

But there must be a way to find the patent so you can offer up prior art. I haven't been able to find the patent anywhere, but I just don't think I have been using the proper search strings.

Has anyone managed to find it?

forge

There is absolutely no security on this site. (4.22 / 18) (#41)
    by AftanGustur on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 05:26:32 AM EST

Not only can you become whoever you want to be just by changing the number after :

But also there seem to be no patches at all installed on this machine

Have a look at

and it's also badly configured:

Voila, you now have the Database Administrator Password "Sa" and the corresponding password "" .

Zoinks! (4.66 / 6) (#42)
    by Burb on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 06:11:23 AM EST

You know, it takes a special kind of stupidity not to apply a security hole that's been known about for several years! The ::$DATA bug was fixed in NT SP4 or SP5 if I recall correctly. As for a blank sa password, well slap my thigh.

Evil thought: if you can fake the user id, who's to stop you entering a story, faking loads of votes and claiming the $500 prize?

500$ prize ? (2.60 / 5) (#49)
    by AftanGustur on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 09:19:39 AM EST

Where ??

I know a guy who just recently won a trip to Ireland (for two) just by filtering cookies.

Follow the links (2.25 / 4) (#51)
    by Burb on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 10:24:46 AM EST

As I recall (down at the moment).. home page, then follow the link that allows you to contribute an article.

Spoofing (4.00 / 5) (#58)
    by interiot on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 12:17:59 PM EST

Agh. I can't get to the site right now. I wonder if the admins are attempting a quick fix. A few minutes ago, I noticed that the story kovacsp linked to had been deleted.
      Dear visitor,

The site has been taken down for a few hours. We are performing a maintenance procedure. Thank you for your patience. The site will return to normal within a few hours.

Thanks,
      im-ur team

Anyway, I checked on this last night. On the help page for winning the $500, it specifically says that any rigged stories will be deleted, and that they won't be eligible for the the $500. Sounds fair enough to me. I guess they have better legal sense than technical sense. Either that, or they're using legallities as security.

Site is broken (3.50 / 10) (#45)
    by pwhysall on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 07:39:57 AM EST

Firstly I get an error:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

/site/entrance.asp, line 60

And then a dialogue pops up:

A Runtime Error has occurred.
    Do you wish to Debug?

Line: 21
    Error: 'document.forms.0' is null or not an object

I click 'Yes', because I have InterDev installed on this machine, and what do I find?

<SCRIPT Language=JavaScript>
    function setuserfocus()
    {
    document.forms[0].item("username").focus();
    }
    </SCRIPT>

Bah, lazy programmers.
    Peter
    K5 Editors
    CheeseBurgerBrown
    They shut down the DB, (line 60) (3.33 / 3) (#48)
    by AftanGustur on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 09:14:43 AM EST

From the sourceCode of "site/entrance.asp" it appears that they
    have shut down the site:

Line 60 reads :

RatingsConn.Open "DSN=Information", "Sa", ""

Actually... (4.00 / 4) (#52)
    by dennis on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 10:29:55 AM EST

Actually that doesn't look like it's shut down. It looks like they have a null sa password on their SQL-Server database. Why you were able to see database code at all is another question. Apparently they are hiring lawyers instead of competent programmers.

At least it works for y'all (1.88 / 9) (#46)
    by Precious Roy on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 07:41:54 AM EST

I'm getting a ton of MS errors on every page I try to enter at that site.

Although I get the impression I'm not missing much.

Prior Art defeats patents (2.37 / 8) (#50)
    by Vygramul on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 09:55:57 AM EST

If K5 has been up before IM-UR, then it's prior art and the patent couldn't be defended. It's pretty easy to defeat.
    If Brute Force isn't working, you're not using enough.
    Why aren't _I_ doing this maintenance ? (2.62 / 8) (#53)
    by Builder on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 10:34:07 AM EST

Going there now just gets me
    Dear visitor,

IM-UR.com is currently under maintenance procedure, and will be uploaded within few hours.

IM-UR.com
    If I am the journalist and the editor, then I wanna be the sysadmin. Why aren't I doing this maintenance? :)
    Be nice to your daemons
    Well (3.00 / 2) (#76)
    by ZanThrax on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 10:12:08 PM EST

considering the amount of security flaws that have been pointed out, you probably could get into the code and fix it up for them...

Before flying off the handle over the suggestion that your a cocksucker, be sure that you do not, in fact, have a cock in your mouth.

Federal Laws, guys (2.46 / 13) (#54)
    by nhmh99 on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 10:52:23 AM EST

Maybe this site really sucks, but let me tell you this - the thread you are reading right now, has specific directions regarding how to hack that site. Hacking is against federal laws, just FYI .
    -- mh.

Laws (4.66 / 6) (#61)
    by interiot on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 01:52:01 PM EST

Here are applicable Federal Computer Crime laws:

The only one that seems to apply is § 1029(a)(1):

Whoever ... knowingly and with intent to defraud produces, uses, or traffics in one or more counterfeit access devices; ... shall be subject to the same penalties as those prescribed for the offense attempted

But that requires intent to be proven.

I think that all other sections and clauses require one of the following: A government computer to be hacked;   Some damage caused (not true unless DoS?);   Confidential information released (anyone can log in as visitor);   or Hacking in combination with extortion. But IANAL, so please point out any errors I made.

A message was written with userid 1, but I see it as analogous to a person seeing a house locked, seeing the key laying on the ground, and leaving a message inside the door saying "you might not want to leave security holes laying in open view". From an ethical standpoint, I see no problem with this (unless confidential info was also disclosed, but it wasn't).

Im-Ur thinks differently (3.50 / 4) (#64)
    by nhmh99 on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 02:21:44 PM EST

Look what they wrote there :

"Last night im-ur was heavily attacked by hackers. The site was penetrated by a group of criminals trying both to shut it down and messing up the content. The hackers, we believe, used the same method that was used to shut down the E-Bay site recently, but since the im-ur site was designed for millions of users, they didn’t succeed in overloading the system. We closed down the site temporarily during the night to increase security measures. The hackers used posts on their site and our site to boast their penetration into what seems to them to be the hottest site on the web today. Rest assured, your private user and membership information was never seen by the hackers and never will be. Legal measures have already been taken against the hackers and their New York based site operators. This part will be easy. They couldn’t help their pride, and they’ve left behind them a calling card bearing their authentic signatures. We are back. Safer and faster".

I think they are serious.
    -- mh

Do we care what they think? (3.25 / 4) (#90)
    by bort13 on Wed Nov 15, 2000 at 02:06:26 PM EST

Look what they wrote there : "Last night im-ur was heavily attacked by hackers

...

We are back. Safer and faster.

Main Edition

Since the site was unopertional for a few hours, all articles in the main edition – usually updated every 24-48 hours, will remain on the site for additional 12 hours.

Having taken a look around im-ur, it's obviously run by morons. Cruddy interface, ugly look & feel, ignorant articles. If you ignore it, it will go away -- look for them to be listed on the death list. As long as k5 maintainers keep the community abreast of any and all legal developments (they will), we'll be able to ensure that it doesn't adversely affect our community. K5 has prior use/art, and any attempt by im-ur to sanction K5 will lose in any court with any qualified judge.

Consider this -- im-ur's appeal may be to a different segment of the internet population; in other words, they may be the AOL of K5s. They may have a place even if they don't have a patent, and may take less "trenches"-worthy traffic off of K5 to the delight of the community.

Personally, I would strongly advise against any kind of attempts to deny service or to mess with their site in any way. We should all know the pain of losing a favorite discussion center, and making them victims grants them authenticity and in the worst case, might give a politico-legal leg to stand on should they attempt to enforce a bad patent or to end k5 as we know it. They're already claiming the moral high ground in this sidebar, let's not make life more difficult.

I fail to understand the analogy.. (3.00 / 4) (#69)
    by Andrew Dvorak on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 05:07:57 PM EST

I should hope that most of us understand and recognize the definition of a "House." And I believe it would be quite difficult to believe anybody who should suggest that they don't know what a house is. To gain entry into a home with a key in plain view would require transporting one's self to the home, unlocking and opening the door, and entering. If the person is entering a home without authorization, they will obviously know what a house is -- or any building, for that matter.

REVISED ANALOGY:

On the other hand, let's imagine a theoretical situation where I am blind and somebody leads me (a href) to a home but tells me that it is a public library. If neither of us had any authorization to enter the home, I doubt I would be at fault. This analogy, while ignorant at best (by shrugging off any responsibility to the next person), would better suit the said site.

While reading comments on kuro5hin, let's assume I happened upon a post whereby the poster provided only a link to a page where I may post as somebody aside from myself. When I follow the link, I'm presented with their website where I am able to post articles. I decide to post a comment never understanding that there is any sort of access control. I was blindly lead and did not understand that I was doing something wrong because the website contained a security hole which its owners overlooked.

As we enter the age of computing it is very likely that legislation will be introduced which would substitute any such ignorance on the part of the user where education of relevant policies and laws would be expected. Lack of this legislation is what ultimately guides the creation of Terms Of Service (TOS) agreements many companies make use of. Without relevant legislation, am I responsible for abusing somebody else's computer if I was not aware that I was doing so? If there's anybody to blame, shouldn't it be the person who linked me to the site in such a way which exploits the security hole? Or why can't such a site take responsibility for their errors?

I must let you know that I am in no way suggesting that we should have any legislation which handles such a potential "problem" by requiring the burden be placed on the user. I am, however, suggesting that any legislation should take into consideration that such systems make obvious and apparent guidelines for using the system and, additionally, making reference to any relevent computer laws. Certainly we cannot make illegal the transfer of any information if it was done so in "good faith."

I supose we might each feature conflicting opinions, though..

Down for 'maintenance' (3.12 / 8) (#55)
    by Precious Roy on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 10:55:16 AM EST

The site has been temporarily taken offline for "maintenance."

By maintenance, I think they mean "replacing gaping security holes."

Im-Ur is very disturbing (2.85 / 7) (#62)
    by SIGFPE on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 01:57:18 PM EST

Is the amount of bigotry visible on this web site a function of the American people as a whole or just those people who have enough bees in their bonnets to write about it on a crappy website? What is it with people? With all of the terrible and great things going on around the world and a carte blanche to write about them using an exciting new piece of technology all anyone seems to care about is the colour of people's skin and where their neighbours stick their penises. Sometimes I think humanity is truly pathetic.
    SIGFPE
    Bigots international (4.00 / 2) (#66)
    by squigly on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 04:32:59 PM EST

The more strongly held an opinion, the more likely people are to voice that opinion. Bigots hold strong opinions.

This is not considerably worse than a local newspaper, except that newpapers do have some editorial controls whereas im-ur is designed not to have any.

Personally I'm all in favour of people writing about their honest opinions however balanced, biased, sensible or stupid.

More bigotry on K5! (3.00 / 2) (#82)
    by Beorn on Wed Nov 15, 2000 at 04:42:10 AM EST

I'm more disturbed by the lack of "bigotry" (and accusations of it) on K5. It shows that members here come from a very limited section of the population, which could give a very false impression of what the world looks like, and encourage dogmatism on certain issues.

This is what ruined TV and newspapers in the first place. Okay, if I really did prefer anarchic Usenet I wouldn't be here at all, but we should be aware of the fact that our collective censorship limits K5 as a medium for free speech.

- Beorn

[ Threepwood '01 ]

biggotry (none / 0) (#86)
    by fantastic-cat on Wed Nov 15, 2000 at 11:14:06 AM EST

biggotry : The state of mind of a bigot; obstinate and unreasoning attachment of one's own belief and opinions, with narrow-minded intolerance of beliefs opposed to them.

I'm quite glad that there isn't very much of this on k5, being as it is, on the whole quite a tolerant place. I do take your point about the comunity coming from a narrow band but I would like to think most of the people here are capable of forming their own reasoned opinions and are generally tolerant of other people, in a community of 9000+ though there are bound to be exceptions.

t.

Collective assumptions (1.00 / 1) (#97)
    by Beorn on Thu Nov 16, 2000 at 07:31:07 AM EST

Biggotry : The state of mind of a bigot; obstinate and unreasoning attachment of one's own belief and opinions, with narrow-minded intolerance of beliefs opposed to them.

I used the word ironically, because it is a very poor way to describe someone you disagree with. When somebodys first response to reading im-ur is to shout bigotry, then something is wrong.

Yes, but because of the similar backgrounds of people here, (20's, male, nerd -- or at least two out of three), there will be some views that are simply taken for granted. Collective assumptions like that are dangerous. Nothing should ever be taken for granted. Nobody should ever feel safe from attack when voicing an opinion.

I don't know if this is a problem with K5, at least not a big one, but it may become one.

- Beorn

[ Threepwood '01 ]

OK (none / 0) (#103)
    by fantastic-cat on Fri Nov 17, 2000 at 08:27:45 AM EST

I accept your point that it is important to be aware of collective assumptions but in a way it is collective assumptions and consensus which creates a community, at the most basic level the collective assumption is that our language is understood as we mean it to be, this is often false especially on the internet where many of us do not write in out native tounge, or even if our first language is English the differences between 'US English' and its other forms is enough to cause misunderstanding.

t.

I disgree (3.00 / 1) (#87)
    by deaddrunk on Wed Nov 15, 2000 at 11:23:56 AM EST

I'm a fairly long-term slashdot reader, and have only recently discovered kuro5hin. What I've found is a bunch of intelligent people discussing diverse issues. What's the problem. If you want bigotry, then im-ur or slashdot are where you can get them. I tend to avoid bigots, as they are usually not very bright or interesting, and kuro5hin would definitely be poorer if there were more of them here.

Back Up (4.16 / 12) (#63)
    by interiot on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 02:19:14 PM EST

They're back up, with this message on the "Main Edition" page:
      Hackers Attack on im-ur

Last night im-ur was heavily attacked by hackers. The site was penetrated by a group of criminals trying both to shut it down and messing up the content. The hackers, we believe, used the same method that was used to shut down the E-Bay site recently, but since the im-ur site was designed for millions of users, they didn’t succeed in overloading the system. We closed down the site temporarily during the night to increase security measures. The hackers used posts on their site and our site to boast their penetration into what seems to them to be the hottest site on the web today. Rest assured, your private user and membership information was never seen by the hackers and never will be. Legal measures have already been taken against the hackers and their New York based site operators. This part will be easy. They couldn’t help their pride, and they’ve left behind them a calling card bearing their authentic signatures. We are back. Safer and faster.

If you go to http://im-ur.com/site/help.asp?userid=0 right now, it says:
      Invalid character
      /site/help.asp, line 5
      If GetMemberName(Request.QueryString("UserID")) <> Session("Member") then Response.Redirect("entrance.asp")]
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------^

Just noticed it, too (3.00 / 8) (#67)
    by fester on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 04:56:45 PM EST

What a total load of BS. I was finally able to check out im-ur this afternoon and what I saw was a dog-ugly website with a horrible layout and a "hacker" update propaganda^H^H^H^Heditorial piece to top it off. I hope they last one more month, roll over, and die.

ebay and millions of users... (3.00 / 1) (#94)
    by mattdm on Wed Nov 15, 2000 at 04:45:19 PM EST

Of course, ebay was crashed so easily because they only designed it to deal with about 20 users.

Can't browse it (2.40 / 5) (#68)
    by Ledge Kindred on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 04:58:42 PM EST

Huh. Well, all I can see is the front page. No links except "Login, Register and Visitor" and clicking on those either generates an error or takes me to an "About" page with links only back to the front page.

Good thing they're patenting this technology.

Cookies (4.00 / 1) (#70)
    by Perpetual Newbie on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 05:11:27 PM EST

I had to set my browser to accept all cookies before it would let me in.. spent a while staring at that login box myself, and the buggy site spit out errors when I tried to register an account.

So now that I've figured out their access scheme and gained entry to the front page, I guess I should expect charges to be filed against me any minute for being such a 31337 h4x0r.

Yea, cookies. (3.00 / 3) (#71)
    by atrodo on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 05:33:20 PM EST

Evadently, the site that decided that cookies were not in there user's best intrests, have decided otherwise. Looking through Net6's stored cookies, i have found a im-ur.com cookie. Guess they figured out thier security was bad. (Even i, who have hardly done any security, did better then this with a tiny log-in-able project of mine.) I'm interested in hearing if rusty has heard anything from im-ur yet about his unrulely users that hacked thier site just like we hacked eBay, and left our "authentic signatures" since you know how great hackers we are and always leave calling cards so people that we hacked can congradulate us. (Please note the sarcasm.)

-Jon Gentle(atrodo@geocities.com)
    (Also, might i add that under Net6, rolling over any articale will pop-up a window that says "Click here for Full Article" and to accually get to the article, well, you can't. Maybe that's a good thing... I don't know, i'm still trying to figure out where everything is (including the community))

Be Happy: These people need a home of their own! (2.85 / 7) (#72)
    by dalesun on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 05:45:09 PM EST

im-ur is so laughable and lame that I'm surprised anyone would consider it any kind of threat. It looks like just a bunch of Ed Anger (Weekly World News) or radio talk show type rants sloppily served up from a 486 in a trailer park somewhere. Anyone can submit invalid and ridiculous patent applications on anything, and then claim "patent pending" until the application is rejected.

Let's all be happy that these mental midgets have a home of their own, and we can visit for a few laughs (though Ed Anger, being more over the top, provides better laughs). Now if we could just develop some kind of "Troll Relocation Program"...

Hardware (none / 0) (#84)
    by buttfucker2000 on Wed Nov 15, 2000 at 07:11:11 AM EST

No. It's using ASPs so it will be a cluster of Win2k servers.

And it will still suck.

More likely just 1 or 2 typical Pentium boxes (none / 0) (#89)
    by dalesun on Wed Nov 15, 2000 at 01:01:06 PM EST

I have had NT4, MS SQL Server and IIS serving ASPs all on a single 90 MHz Pentium server. Ran just fine, but VERY slow. I was being sarcastic when I said a 486 (though it is possible). im-ur does seem to have better performance than a 90 MHz Pentium provides, though nothing indicates a cluster of Win2K servers. It is more likely running on just one or two average Pentium class machines.

Trolling (none / 0) (#91)
    by squigly on Wed Nov 15, 2000 at 04:01:09 PM EST

Now if we could just develop some kind of "Troll Relocation

Write your own trolls, lazy. Although I don't think its worth the effort there. These guys seem slightly more opinionated than Jon Erikson.

Site's Content (2.83 / 6) (#73)
    by mrjake008 on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 07:23:55 PM EST

Geez, the coherecy and intelligence of the average K5 comment far exceeds that of the "articles" on the front page of this site. They are all pointless, unjustified rants. The site's layout is inconsistant and confusing, and the English on the site itself practically sounds like it came out of Babelfish.

'Nuff said. Don't worry about this. Prior art exists, anyone can claim patent pending until they get rejected by the USPTO.

Bad code, bad English, bad journalism....nothing to worry about.

Lawyers Bad... (3.00 / 1) (#85)
    by AEtherean on Wed Nov 15, 2000 at 11:02:58 AM EST

Bad code, bad English, bad journalism....nothing to worry about.

Unfortunately they don't need to have "good" content to cause problems for sites like K5. All they need is "good" lawyers.

-----

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
    - Edmund Burke

Link to something similar. (none / 0) (#100)
    by Ndog on Thu Nov 16, 2000 at 03:03:30 PM EST

Here is a link to a directly related article about a similarly well-designed site. It's worth checking out. Enjoy.

What system is patent pending? (3.90 / 10) (#74)
    by Denor on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 08:30:11 PM EST

From their page:
    IM-UR SYSTEM AND TECHNOLOGY IS PATENT PENDING

I was curious about this, so I looked through the rest of the site and didn't really find that much. It wasn't until I pulled up the source to the index page that I saw this:

<!-- START OF WEBTRENDS LIVE TAG -->
    <!-- Copyright 1999-2000 WebTrends Corporation -->
    <!-- eCommerce Revenue Tracking (patent pending) -->

<!-- Visit us at http://www.webtrendslive.com -->

Webtrends Live is a traffic analysis service - given that the rest of im-ur's site is somewhat vague and misstated, it's quite possible that the statement that their technology was patent pending actually referred to the fact that the technology they're using from someone else, and for another purpose is patent pending.

If that's the case, then I think we might owe them a bit of apology....

-Denor

I doubt it... (none / 0) (#92)
    by wonko on Wed Nov 15, 2000 at 04:18:37 PM EST

I seriously doubt they were referring to the WebTrends Live code. Thousands of websites use WebTrends Live (including my own) and I've never seen anyone mention the WebTrends Live "patent pending" notice outside of that comment tag.

imnot-urs and slash? (2.50 / 4) (#75)
    by quam on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 09:46:53 PM EST

out of curiousity, if im-urs or whatever it is called claims that k5 is violating their 'patent pending' which, incidently, a patent pending has as much significance as an ant in the ground, then would they not also challenge slash? I sure would be interested to see how the slash community would respond. Or how about a challenge to all those 'ultimate bulletin boards' or investment message boards.

quam

-- U.S. Patent 5443036 concerns a device for encouraging a cat to exercise by chasing a light spot.
    Claiming stuf...blah blah blah (2.00 / 2) (#79)
    by Fjord on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 11:37:48 PM EST

Sorry i didn't make myself clear enough. That's what i meant :) In no way did i mean to set off a DDoS attack or anything like that. I simply meant that the kuro5hin community (most likely only a hundred ppl or so at the most) post comments about what our community feels about their "patent."

Although now i would have to agree with a previous poster who said that we should be glad that such lame postings are not being made on k5. Indeed.

Doh. (none / 0) (#80)
    by Fjord on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 11:43:28 PM EST

Yes, yes, i know i'm dumb. Hitting the post a comment instead of reply to parent. To the eternal flames with me. Doh. I was, in fact replying to my earlier post (#36) where i stated that we, as the k5 community, could state how we feel about this whole debacle on their site. I hope you still can understand it, i think...

Im-ur site (1.33 / 3) (#83)
    by vrai on Wed Nov 15, 2000 at 06:58:31 AM EST

Just tried to access their site but the web server appears to be down again. Hmmm ... a stunning first victory for the Peoples Republic Of Kuro5hin.

The Other Site knows about im-ur too... (2.40 / 5) (#88)
    by ajschu on Wed Nov 15, 2000 at 12:21:06 PM EST

Due to the difficulty in deep-linking their site, I'll have to post the article in question here:

Visual Studio 7.0

by Frustrated Programmer

Anyone noticed that Microsoft is silently yet effictively
    trying to kill C++ with Visual Studio 7.0. Frankly, I'm
    scared, very scared. Having 2 years of experience now
    with VC++, learning COM and now COM+ I hate to have all
    this knowledge to be worth nothing with the new .net
    platform...

This amusing 'article' is followed up with this comment:

Who cares?

by roblimo

More and more developers are doing their primary work in
    Linux or *BSD Unix these days. Microsoft is becomeing
    irrevelant. They can do whatever they like in Redmond; it
    simply doesn't make any difference any more.

If the /. crew isn't in an uproar about this, maybe there's no reason for us to be...

AJS

Roblimo "contributes" (5.00 / 1) (#99)
    by jxqvg on Thu Nov 16, 2000 at 02:38:14 PM EST

I don't know. By personally bringing in some of the same low quality posts and rabid counter-FUD often found on /., Roblimo looks like he's doing a very good job of lowering im-ur's s/n ratio. As a community, let's take this all as an exemplary way to "attack" a site we don't like.

I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with the content of his post itself(necessarily), just that his reply is less than unexpected from the "yay me, I'm 1337" /. lobby.

[sig]

Todays front page comment (3.00 / 5) (#96)
    by Burb on Thu Nov 16, 2000 at 06:16:20 AM EST

Thought y'all might be interested in im-ur's front page.
    Hackers Attack on im-ur

Last night im-ur was heavily attacked by hackers. The site was penetrated by a group of criminals trying both to shut it down and mess up the content. The hackers, we believe, used the same method that was used to shut down the E-Bay site recently, but since the im-ur site was designed for millions of users, they didn’t succeed in overloading the system. We closed down the site temporarily during the night to increase security measures. The hackers used posts on their site and our site to boast their penetration into what seems to them to be the hottest site on the web today. Rest assured, your private user and membership information was never seen by the hackers and never will be. Legal measures have already been taken against the hackers and their New York based site operators. This part will be easy. They couldn’t help their pride, and they’ve left behind them a calling card bearing their authentic signatures. We are back. Safer and faster.

missing the point (2.33 / 3) (#101)
    by Jim Madison on Thu Nov 16, 2000 at 04:06:34 PM EST

most of the posts here attack the poor site. ok, it's hokey and commercial. but interest in collobarative filtering is cool. i mean, do you realize that page views are actually declining on the net? even the big media co's are waking up and smelling the coffee. just check out Abuzz (damn slow) and we have are old friends like epinions and deceased friends like firefly.

Do you know why? it's because most of the traffic has been going to overly-marketed, crappy commercial sites. and people are sick of it. the real web is email. the real web is blogger and /* begin shameless self-promotion */ quorum.org /* end */. There are even some new entrants that may do well, like themestream, why, zeal--who knows?

Got democracy? Try e-thePeople.org.