Kevin Mitnick Sessions for Uninitiated

By sudog in Internet
Tue Dec 19, 2000 at 01:31:01 AM EST
Tags: Security (all tags)
Security

So I came across some cool telnet links in an old text file I was about to delete, and figured that others should see this as well. Set your xterm to 80x26, vt102, and telnet to kevin-on-demand.takedown.com, ports 4005-4030. Shimomura has kept a recording of some Kevin sessions from 1995. Very entertaining stuff.

All should watch this stuff and learn what kind of "hacker" Mitnick really is, and how disproportionate the response from the government was.

o Also by sudog

Kevin Mitnick Sessions for Uninitiated | 14 comments (9 topical, 5 editorial, 0 hidden)
Mixed feelings for Kevin (3.21 / 14) (#6)
by unstable on Mon Dec 18, 2000 at 06:46:05 PM EST

Kevin was a backstabbing bitch. He would take advantage of someone then fsck them over as soon as they showed any signs of resistance.
but he did not deserve the 4+ years in prision without a bail hearing.

When I hear the name Mitnick I am filled with anger at Kevin and "the powers that be" for the abuse he took. Did he deserve to go to jail... yes he broke the law.... did the punishment fit the crime... hell no. This country was founded so that oppresion like this would not happen and that EVERBODY would get a fair trial.
It shames me to say that i come from America when people like kevin pull the stupidity that he has done and that the govt is so fscked up that they pull stupider shit on top of it.

Reverend Unstable
all praise the almighty Bob
and be filled with slack

Which software is used? (3.33 / 6) (#7)
by joto on Mon Dec 18, 2000 at 06:58:16 PM EST

Does anyone know which software is used to make these "playbacks", and to capture them. It looks like something that could be fun to play with.

I really want to see this. (2.75 / 4) (#8)
by Zer0 on Mon Dec 18, 2000 at 09:04:22 PM EST

I really want to see this but once it starts doing the automated stuff gibberish comes up. I have SecureCRT set to 26x80 vt102. Anyone have any ideas?

I had the same problem in win2k (3.00 / 3) (#9)
by boxed on Mon Dec 18, 2000 at 09:16:31 PM EST

win2ks telnet client does that too. I have no solution except jumping to another client. (I used Konsole :P)

Just View It In ANSI mode (3.00 / 1) (#10)
by BradyB on Mon Dec 18, 2000 at 11:29:52 PM EST

You will be able to see it in ANSI mode. Took me awhile to figure that out.
Good is not enough, when you dream of being great.
what client are you uisng? (none / 0) (#11)
by delmoi on Tue Dec 19, 2000 at 09:54:41 AM EST

What client are you using? I've tried both the win9x telnet and two diffrent shareware ones, and none seem to be able to do it!
"'argumentation' is not a word, idiot." -- thelizman
I am using (none / 0) (#13)
by BradyB on Tue Dec 19, 2000 at 10:21:31 PM EST

Secure CRT 3.0 in ANSI mode. Everything else was pretty much untouched as far as settings
Good is not enough, when you dream of being great.
Use TeraTerm it's got correct terminal handling. (3.50 / 2) (#12)
by sudog on Tue Dec 19, 2000 at 01:29:53 PM EST

See subject line. TeraTerm works wonderfully. Built-in telnet does NOT do correct terminal emulation. SecureCRT *should* do correct terminal emulation but you have to make sure that it can handle things like graphics characters. (Ie: The font you're using has such things. So you'll probably want to use the font "terminal" or similar.)

Good luck--

sudog

p.s. this note is for the windows users among you. :)

How'd they get these logs? (4.00 / 2) (#14)
by BradyB on Wed Dec 20, 2000 at 01:15:30 AM EST

Was Kevin dumb enough not to check his own machine? Or was it just logged at netcom or escape.com. Anything short of that I wouldn't know how they got these so called logs. Was he always backdooring through Shimomura's computer when he talked to people? Just wondering that's all. Maybe it's a hose job.
Good is not enough, when you dream of being great.