Where do I hide my naughty stuff on the internet?

By Jack9 in Internet
Sat Sep 30, 2000 at 07:45:49 PM EST
Tags: Help! (Ask Kuro5hin) (all tags)
Help! (Ask Kuro5hin)

Lets say I want to put up a copy of a CueCat driver, the DeCSS, or even a parody of a corporate site. What are some good providers who are not bound by US/Eurasian copyright law?

I have been using computers for over half of my life. I love the internet and more specifically the implementation. I am a professional with very little free time. Like most geeks, I dont need a lawsuit or having my content (and future content) examined/edited by a provider or domain host (or registrar!). Where is the safest, cheapest, place to host small quasi-legal files/pages on the web?

I used to believe in obscurity, until Cease and Desist letters appeared at my doorstep. So I began to look. I dont speak or read a word of chinese and HavenCo is a joke. Gnutella, freenet, are all workarounds. Yeah, I could just rename the files .mp3 and put them on napster - and I feel like I've compromised, when not-so deep down I putting them up because I do not want to.

Discuss - hopefully answers will come.

o .
o
o [2]
o [3]
o [4]
o Also by Jack9

Where do I hide my naughty stuff on the internet? | 33 comments (17 topical, 16 editorial, 0 hidden)
Russia (2.30 / 10) (#3)
by Commienst on Sat Sep 30, 2000 at 04:03:50 AM EST

I am sure over in Russia they do not give half a shit about the RIAA and they certainly do not bend hand over backwards when asked to do something by the US.

Re: Russia (2.66 / 3) (#5)
by Jack9 on Sat Sep 30, 2000 at 05:07:16 AM EST

Is there a russian geocities I'm not aware of?
Often wrong but never in doubt.
I am Jack9.
Everyone knows me.

Re: Russia (3.00 / 2) (#14)
by Oblom on Sat Sep 30, 2000 at 08:31:58 PM EST

There is a few : da.ru, aha.ru, narod.ru, agava.ru. There is probobly more, I just can't recall right now.

Re: Russia (1.00 / 1) (#16)
by para_droid on Sat Sep 30, 2000 at 09:42:28 PM EST

Those sites are all written in Russian and so not very useful for any foreigners.

Re: Russia (1.00 / 1) (#17)
by camadas on Sat Sep 30, 2000 at 11:11:23 PM EST

Eh,eh. NOW you know how it feels for all other people who don't speak english, ie, most of the world. "Bem feito"

Re: Russia (1.00 / 1) (#18)
by Jack9 on Sun Oct 01, 2000 at 01:05:40 AM EST

Touché
Often wrong but never in doubt.
I am Jack9.
Everyone knows me.

Re: Russia (3.00 / 1) (#27)
by andyf on Mon Oct 02, 2000 at 09:17:11 PM EST

Huh? When I go to http://da.ru I get English right away, with only an option to go to Russian. When I go to www.aha.ru, I see it's in Russian, but I click on the "English" button and it brings me to a page saying they have the Services and Tech Support pages in English too. I hardly think those are "all written in Russian" and I think they'd be very useful if someone wanted to get a site hosted there.

russia (none / 0) (#33)
by Aatos_ on Sat Dec 30, 2000 at 04:54:45 PM EST

While there might be ISP found in .ru who doesn't care about RIAA etc, there is the DNS problem. If your stuff is serious enough, the black helicopter-guys just pull the record from the US root-servers.

Least Common Denominator (2.00 / 5) (#11)
by mind21_98 on Sat Sep 30, 2000 at 11:10:06 AM EST

The reason that the USA and other European countries are bending their backs to make it harder to do anything on the Internet and WWW is to attempt to sastify every party involved. On one end, we have the companies who still want to make money. On the other hand, we have people who the companies deem a "threat to their profits."

I do believe, however, that companies are expecting too much, and will do anything to remain in control.

mind21_98 - http://www.translator.cx/
"Ask not if the article is utter BS, but what BS can be exposed in said article."

Anonymous File Sharing (1.83 / 6) (#13)
by Meridun on Sat Sep 30, 2000 at 07:33:00 PM EST

I'm working on a program that is somewhat of an extension based on the better parts of GNUtella and Freenet. It's not done, but it seems to be somewhat functional at the moment. Feel free to check it out at The Project ELF homepage. I hope to have a more stable version out within a few days.

Distributed Databases and XML (3.25 / 4) (#15)
by sk8master on Sat Sep 30, 2000 at 08:42:21 PM EST

This site is a Auto-Verifing :CueCat Mirroring Sitelist. Users add URLs, the system verifies them, and they are added instantly. The best part is that you can access the XML object of the database and persist it directly into your own database. Perhaps this method should be used to link websites with similar content: everybody should be sharing their own syndicated content via XML hooks into their databases.

Safe Haven (3.33 / 3) (#23)
by darkwolf on Mon Oct 02, 2000 at 05:41:19 AM EST

Probably the best way to do this would be to find a non NATO country and non-EU country and co-lo your box there. Don't forget to use false information when registering for your domain name.

Re: Safe Haven (4.00 / 1) (#26)
by aphrael on Mon Oct 02, 2000 at 08:27:05 PM EST

Trouble is, would you *trust* a non-NATO and non-EU country to leave you alone? With a couple of exceptions (Singapore, Japan), they aren't known for having stable governments; promises made by the government today wouldn't necessarily be kept by the next group of thugs who came along.

The only *real* way to do it is to form your own country.

Dunno if I like 'em, but Havenco... (4.25 / 4) (#24)
by Miniluv on Mon Oct 02, 2000 at 05:58:22 AM EST

If you read "That other site" you've heard about HavenCo Ltd most likely. Quirky little platform 12 miles off England that's declared themselves independent and stuff.

Bunch of techno mavens found a "data haven" a la Cryptonomicon.

Co-lo pricing doesn't look TOO bad, but compared to places like Rackspace.com it's pretty steep. I'm not in the mood to do some digging, but there's multiple articles out there on "synonomous for root of the file system" including an interview with one of the leaders of the project.

errrrr (4.00 / 3) (#30)
by slashdotRulez on Thu Oct 12, 2000 at 10:04:08 PM EST

were all those hidden link texts in the source intentional, or did you fuck up? And if they were intentional, well itseems no-one else found them/thought they were important enough to discuss.

Re: errrrr (none / 0) (#31)
by XScott on Fri Oct 13, 2000 at 03:17:05 PM EST

were all those hidden link texts in the source intentional
They certainly looked intentional. Do you check out the source on all the articles, or does your browser show the links? (Mine doesn't) I think it's almost clever, and sort of relevant to the article. Cute.

-- Of course I think I'm right. If I thought I was wrong, I'd change my mind.
no (none / 0) (#32)
by slashdotRulez on Sat Oct 14, 2000 at 02:44:37 PM EST

I don't check the source of every article but this one has a dot link that pointed to something like "don't look ar the source" so I looked at the source...