Anti-Spammers Apparently Evil

By aluminumaloi in Internet
Thu Sep 13, 2001 at 03:55:12 PM EST
Tags: Internet (all tags)
Internet

Earlier today, a friend of mine recieved a piece of spam that I found truly disturbing. I have posted the email here:

The first few paragraphs seem innocent enough, providing information about the American Red Cross. But scroll down a bit...

and I think you will understand my distaste. The second section of the message begins with 'During this attack on American Freedom "anti-spammers" express their condolences to Bin Laden!' The message goes on to make even more ludicrous claims.

I know everyone reading this already thinks that spam is ridiculous. But I think this example sinks to a new low - at least lower than anything I've seen.

o http://www .phota.to/spam/
o Also by aluminumaloi

Anti-Spammers Apparently Evil | 21 comments (17 topical, 4 editorial, 0 hidden)
Is this serious? (3.25 / 4) (#1)
by R343L on Thu Sep 13, 2001 at 12:54:02 AM EST

I voted this up only because if it is for real it would be nice (is that the right word?) for people to see some of the sick things people do and have a record of it.

Someone on /. posted (I don't know if true) that some company was putting out "I crashed into the WTC and all I got was this stupid t-shirt" t-shirts...which is just so sick it makes my stomach turn. (Sorry--I just turned everyone's stomach). This is similar but not so sick.

I sometimes wonder if there is some cabal of people who come up with the sickest things to market or say about an event and then put them out. It makes more sense to me than there being many unconnected people who are willing to do sick things (or maybe it's not sick to them) for money or attention.

Ick.
"Like cheese spread over too much cantelope, the people I spoke with liked their shoes." Ctrl-Alt-Del

re: "I crashed into the WTC..." (3.00 / 4) (#6)
by kworces on Thu Sep 13, 2001 at 01:35:03 AM EST

This T-shirt was actually briefly listed for sale on a website. The site in question is a hosting service for individuals who wish to sell their own products. As soon as the site maintainers learned of the T-shirt they suspended the merchant's account and removed the T-shirt. The URL now provides a link to the Red Cross.

Thank god (2.66 / 3) (#7)
by R343L on Thu Sep 13, 2001 at 01:45:37 AM EST

I had gotten the impression it was a company putting out the t-shirt...but his way it was probably just one sick guy...

There Is No Cabal (none / 0) (#16)
by Kasreyn on Fri Sep 14, 2001 at 02:56:04 AM EST

Honestly, there isn't!

-Kasreyn
"Extenuating circumstance to be mentioned on Judgement Day:
We never asked to be born in the first place."

R.I.P. Kurt. You will be missed.
It's true (none / 0) (#21)
by Pope on Wed Oct 24, 2001 at 10:50:29 AM EST

I figured I'd save these for the rainy day that it became and urban, or at least Net, legend.
Here ya go:
Front
Back

Just nobody go complaining to my host, OK? It's for educational purposes ONLY.

Pope

"Turn your tails and run, In fear of the approaching years, in fear of the Ouch Monkeys" Julian Cope

Bah (2.66 / 3) (#2)
by J'raxis on Thu Sep 13, 2001 at 12:58:39 AM EST

This reminds me of silly propaganda tactics like, “When you $DO_SOMETHING you support communism!” and “When you ride alone, you ride with Hitler!”

— The Anti-Spamming Raxis

[ J’raxis·Com | Liberty in your lifetime ]

That had a purpose, even... (3.00 / 3) (#4)
by Xeriar on Thu Sep 13, 2001 at 01:09:07 AM EST

This is sick. If this is real, something needs to be done about it -now-.

----
When I'm feeling blue, I start breathing again.
Don't take these things too seriously (4.00 / 2) (#10)
by squigly on Thu Sep 13, 2001 at 07:37:31 AM EST

The car-sharing example was actually fairly clever as a concept. On one hand, we have the WW2 propaganda style which is fairly eye catching, and on the other, they spread the message that not sharing your car is Eeevil. A ludicrous exageration perhaps, but it does make the image of Hitler relevent to both aspects of the poster.

As for the spam, I think it sounds like a wind-up. The very idea that someone would compare destroying the WTC with stopping spammers is ludicrous

The Spammer's link (3.50 / 2) (#5)
by thotherhw on Thu Sep 13, 2001 at 01:22:14 AM EST

I visited the Spammer's site that was linked in the story, and then from there I visited a newsgroup message which the Spammers claimed contained the Anti-Spammers congratulating bin Laden. Actually, it was a newsgroup post calling for the US to politely thank the Taliban for giving us bin Laden's head on a silver platter, and if it didn't come in seventy-two hours to nuke Kabul and then thank them again, repeating as necessary until we had what we wanted. I wonder why the Spammers linked to a post that was so obviously contrary to what they were saying...

Don't take out the nospam string in my email address.

"Americans, while occasionally willing to be serfs, have always been obstinate about being peasantry." -- Nick Carraway narrating in F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby

People lack follow through.... (3.00 / 1) (#11)
by Elkor on Thu Sep 13, 2001 at 08:43:55 AM EST

Many people reading the message wouldn't bother following the link to the newgroup. They would read the article, see that there was a link and be satisfied. Because of course it would be stupid of them to link to something that gainsaid their point....

That, or they are friggin stupid.

Regards,
Elkor

"I won't tell you how to love God if you don't tell me how to love myself."
-Margo Eve
It gets worse (4.00 / 2) (#12)
by theboz on Thu Sep 13, 2001 at 08:51:58 AM EST

According to MSNBC, people are trying to steal credit card numbers by saying it's for the victims and such. These scumbags need to be caught right after we find out who did the bombing.

Here's the article.

Stuff.

Looting, is what it is. (4.00 / 3) (#15)
by afeldspar on Fri Sep 14, 2001 at 01:09:43 AM EST

I think this should be treated exactly the same as looting. That is, after all, what it is; it's people taking advantage of the chaos of a disaster to steal. If it is all different from traditional looting, it is worse, in that at least those looting in the chaos of a normal disaster can pretend "oh, the owners are dead and don't need this stuff anymore."

These people are stealing from the very victims of the disaster. If they pay the penalty traditionally meted out to looters I will not be able to shed a tear.

-- For those concerned about the "virality" of the GPL, a suggestion: Write Your Own Damn Code.

Verify this first. (1.25 / 8) (#14)
by Surial on Thu Sep 13, 2001 at 08:05:20 PM EST

Personally, I think that a 'end justifies the means' zealot can only be found in the Anti-Spam camp. In other words, In other to post this kind of total and utter crap, you'd have to believe so strongly in a goal, it couldn't possibly be the relatively small amount of money gained by spamming professionally.

I actually think it's an 'anti spam zealot' who has posted this. Now *that* is distasteful.

Can anybody verify this source?
"is a signature" is a signature.

Bullshit (5.00 / 3) (#17)
by fishy on Fri Sep 14, 2001 at 07:04:37 AM EST

Its a well known spammer, with an axe to grind. Please check your facts before posting.

You think spamming wouldn't post this crap?

Try some of the latest send today:

Multiple companies offering to sell you something, with 5% towards a support fund of course. (No, no a fund you have ever heard of)

Want to send a nice picture of an exploding building to a friend, you've got it.

Nice marketing types(cough spamming cu**s) helping out?, yep they are still clogging army email servers with millions of spammed emails.

This is the true face of these bastards, don't get confused.

F

StealthLaunch and Empire Towers (none / 0) (#18)
by Robin Lionheart on Sun Sep 16, 2001 at 09:31:28 AM EST

This spam is courtesy of the Empire Towers gang.

"StealthLaunch", mentioned within, is their web hosting service for spammers. They themselves describe it as designed for duplicity:

StealthLaunch allows you to maintain 2 images without harming your "Public" image. This strategy is used by large corporations like MicroSoft and Amazon.com who are constantly under attack by anti-commerce fanatics. StealthLaunch gives you the ability to mail to your current client base without actually referencing your "public" servers.

Re: StealthLaunch and Empire Towers (4.00 / 1) (#19)
by inquisitor on Mon Sep 17, 2001 at 11:51:02 AM EST

Where, of course, I've never been spammed by Microsoft; and Amazon, although notorious, use their own MXes instead of some dialup in Florida or an open relay in Taiwan. And they call us (tinu) terrorists?

Empire Towers (actually, some guy called Thomas Cowles) are scum in the very least; these are the people who do all sorts of JavaScript mucking about in their messages, do three directions through Angelfire, fake WHOIS and so on. Plus, these are the people with the disclaimer that says, and I quote:
The FIRST encrypted email friendly Hosting by M@sTer@GeNTs. Attempting to infringe upon the copyrights of PopLaunch or attempting to harm the natural course of business of PopLaunch users will be subject to SEVERE civil and/or criminal penalties (including but not limited to attempting to hack, Denial of Service Attacks and/or broadcast the location of client sites).
The only word for that is obscene.

I received the same piece of mail on 9/12 (none / 0) (#20)
by hcoira on Thu Sep 20, 2001 at 05:58:21 PM EST

here I was rather shocked and disgusted, needlessly to say.

Anti-Spammers Apparently Evil | 21 comments (17 topical, 4 editorial, 0 hidden)