Go!

By TheophileEscargot in Internet
Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 12:59:18 PM EST
Tags: Internet (all tags)
Internet

Alternatives to K5, and how to find them.

Sponsor: rusty
This space intentionally left blank
comments (24)
active | buy ad
It is a truth universally acknowledged that K5 is dying. We're overwhelmed by too many stories. There are not enough stories in the queue. There's too much emphasis on politics. All the politics stories get voted down. There's not enough technology. There are too many boring tech stories. K5 is biased towards Microsoft. There are too many prejudiced open-source enthusiasts here. The quality of writing has deteriorated. There are too many grammar/spelling/punctuation Nazis voting down good stories.

Well, there is an answer. Go!

The main Scoop site has a list of 39 other Scoop sites announced there. Slashcode has a list of 118 Slash sites. No less than one hundred and fifty-seven different online communities, just waiting there for you!

Not enough? Scour the K5 textads page, to see which communities are scouting for new members. Click on Display Preferences to see which sites are submitting headlines to K5.

So you're too lazy to search, then? You want personal recommendations. Well, what are you after?

Technology? News for nerds? Slashdot is still there, you know; and for quick news it's hard to beat. But your story was rejected? Try slashduh. Techno-weary rejected geeks love it. Or Ars Technica is the place for real PC enthusiasts.

But you're not a nerd, you're a creative type. A writer. Lit.hatori42.com is back up and running, posting fiction, poetry and articles from all comers. For real critiques try Toasted Cheese, a site that's all about writing. For articles about writing, Write-On is there for you.

Missing your slan shack? Sci-fi geeks can use Radio Free Tomorrow. Too many books there? Don't forget to try Bureau42.

Does all this sound disappointingly trivial? Want to discuss The Issues? Make your voice heard at E The People. It's America's interactive town hall, they say. But how can you think about that when you're so bitter about your job? Netslaves and Fucked Company are there for the dot-com casualties.

Or are all these sites too narrowly focussed for a Renaissance man/woman like you? Plastic has a broad range, and legendary community The Well has survived since the prehistoric days of 1985.

But what you really come here for are the MLPs. Guess what: K5 MLPs are dull, and usually ancient. A better way to keep up with the bizarreness of the web is with Memepool. Even bigger and better is Metafilter. With these two sites alone you can get pretty much every MLP that hits K5, only hours, days, weeks or even months in advance!

On the more bizarre side, Satanosphere specializes in the absurd, disturbing, and just plain inexplicable. Adequacy is there for satire and Linux-fan baiting, and Geekizoid proudly claims to put the Goat back in goatse.

And finally, one more. If you've tried every single one of the 157 slash and scoop sites and hated them all, there's a certain website that might not seem quite so bad by comparison. It's here.

Number of sites regularly posted to
o 0 20%

o Metafilter
o Satanosphe re
o Adequacy
o Geekizoid
o here
o Also by TheophileEscargot

Go! | 93 comments (85 topical, 8 editorial, 0 hidden)
Usenet (4.70 / 17) (#4)
by CluelessNewbie on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 11:49:34 AM EST

I'd go to usenet, but I don't like the voting system....
-------------------------------------------------
"Do you know what nemesis means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by a 'orrible cunt. Me."
BrickTop
iT (4.41 / 12) (#5)
by Smirks on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 11:57:42 AM EST

You failed to mention InTune for those musical buffs!

[ Music Rules ]
Hey Theophile! (4.28 / 7) (#6)
by ambrosen on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 11:58:16 AM EST

Does this mean we have to stop whinging? I mean, if I say I don't like the orange box around the ads, does that mean someone will just refer me to this article and say "If you don't like it, leave"?

Procrastination does not make you cool. Being cool makes you procrastinate. DesiredUsername.
YES! (4.22 / 9) (#7)
by wiredog on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 12:00:57 PM EST

Now shut up, stop whinging, and read this!

Peoples Front To Reunite Gondwanaland: "Stop the Laurasian Separatist Movement!"
The endless cycle (4.00 / 3) (#10)
by TheophileEscargot on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 12:33:39 PM EST

Someone whinges in their diary about K5. Someone posts a comment whinging about diary-whinging. The diary writer replies, whinging about the whinging at his whinging...

The endless cycle is a thing of beauty. Hopefully this will allow for more precise whinging, with better ammunition ;-)
----
Support the nascent Mad Open Science movement... when we talk about "hundreds of eyeballs," we really mean it. Lagged2Death

My site... (2.33 / 3) (#8)
by leviramsey on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 12:09:25 PM EST

You can check my site (see the info bar) for my work-in-progress "Better Slashdot than Slashdot"...

Meta to the extreme! (2.66 / 3) (#13)
by Silent Chris on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 01:10:02 PM EST

Awesome job. :)

Too bad there isn't a way to tie-in all these various weblogs into one, big weblog...

seconded! (none / 0) (#15)
by johnny on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 01:26:08 PM EST

Rock on, theophile.

yr frn,
jrs
Get your free download of prizewinning novels Acts of the Apostles and Cheap Complex Devices.
Well... (none / 0) (#16)
by buck on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 01:30:52 PM EST

-----
“You, on the other hand, just spew forth your mental phlegmwads all over the place and don't have the goddamned courtesy to throw us a tissue afterwards.” -- kitten
also try... (4.00 / 1) (#20)
by ikarus on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 01:45:43 PM EST

<plug>
fyuze
</plug>

Tollerance. (none / 0) (#26)
by scanman on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 02:12:48 PM EST

K5 is all about tollerance.

"[You are] a narrow-minded moron [and] a complete loser." - David Quartz
"scanman: The moron." - ucblockhead
"I prefer the term 'lifeskills impaired'" - Inoshiro

Well (none / 0) (#52)
by truth versus death on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 11:40:47 PM EST

Guess it's time to change my sig.

"any erection implies consent"-fae
[ Trim your Bush ]
Freshnews (5.00 / 3) (#35)
by dreamJockey on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 04:16:44 PM EST

freshnews.org syndicates 30 different news sources. It's a good way to find stuff you wouldn't find anywhere else.

Ummm... Yes! (5.00 / 3) (#36)
by brainrain on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 04:21:33 PM EST

I actively use, and highly appreciate, the site: News is Free (http://www.newsisfree.com/)

With this web site I've been able to *combine* all the discussion web sites that interest *me*, creating "one", awesome weblog! You can have the posts sorted by most recent, by category, and you can even have them in little boxes - whatever suits you! I currently have my personalized news page set as my browser's homepage, and since all my favorite logs are there - there's no need to look all over the place for my good news. (oh, and did I mention the fact that there are no banner ads - only non-obtrusive text ads?)

In case you're interested, here is my current configuration:

• All my news is in non-box format
  • It's sorted according to time-of-post.
  • I have the news expire after two days
  • I have the following web site feeds included: Fark.com, Slashdot.org, Memepool.com, Kuro5hin.org, Metafilter.com, Wired News, and the Google Weblog.

With this configuration, I can see the latest weblogs in one solid "big weblog" - I HIGHLY recommend you at least check it out. It's worth every second of your time!

Kleptotherapy - Helping those who help themselves

• Indy Sites: The Best Hope for the Web!!! (5.00 / 1) (#51)
    by NetSlaves on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 11:11:57 PM EST

Funny you should mention "one big weblog" -- I've been kicking around that idea for a while. Whoever's in charge around here - I want to talk to you. This site must not die!!! Bill Lessard NetSlaves.com

Hey (3.00 / 3) (#86)
    by rusty on Sat Mar 30, 2002 at 01:36:01 PM EST

Whoever's in charge around here - I want to talk to you.

I guess that'd be me, in so far as anyone is. :-)

What do you want to talk about?

____
    Not the real rusty

Meept! (3.00 / 3) (#87)
    by rusty on Sat Mar 30, 2002 at 01:42:49 PM EST

"We will unite all the divided factions of [weblogs] into one great big divided faction!"
    --The Glorious MEEPT

Someone had to say it. :-)

____
    Not the real rusty

But I just got here! (4.25 / 8) (#14)
    by Haicead on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 01:16:45 PM EST

I have an inalienable right to complain about how this site doesn't fit my every expectation and desire, don't I? I have not yet reached satisfaction by complaining about everything wrong! I complain that you are denying me my right to complain!
    "Not altogether a fool... but then he's a poet, which I take to be only one remove from a fool." --E.A. Poe
    sig (4.33 / 3) (#19)
    by ODiV on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 01:42:59 PM EST

The Believer had better face himself and ask squarely: Do I literally believe "God" has a penis? If the answer is no, then it seems only logical to drop the ridiculous practice of referring to "God" as "he." --Robert Anton Wilson

But "it" is so impersonal. I suppose God isn't a person... but I think I'd have trouble relating to an IT.

[ odiv.net ]
    If God hasn't a penis.. (2.50 / 4) (#21)
    by wiredog on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 01:47:36 PM EST

Then God must be a woman, right?

"God is coming, and she's pissed!"

My couch does not have a penis [n/t] (3.80 / 5) (#29)
    by Karmakaze on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 02:41:35 PM EST

Karmakaze
    At last! (3.33 / 3) (#31)
    by synaesthesia on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 03:38:26 PM EST

I found me a sig!

Sausages or cheese?
    Therefore, my couch is God. *nt* (3.00 / 4) (#39)
    by SnowBlind on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 05:04:09 PM EST

There is but One Kernel, and root is His Prophet.
    the question is, which is to be Master (4.00 / 1) (#30)
    by killmepleez on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 03:09:17 PM EST

as your post points out, we would do well to remember that words are not the objects they symbolize. "God" has not changed whether the pronoun used is he, she, it, they, we, us, or I.

practically nobody really wants to understand God; rather, we want that God should understand us. this is why, for example, as europe and christianity co-evolved, Jesus came to look more and more white and less semitic.

__
    "I instantly realized that everything in my life that I thought was unfixable was totally fixable - except for having just jumped."
    --from "Jumpers" in The New Yorker, October 13, 2003.
    God is thirdsex (none / 0) (#41)
    by ocelotbob on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 06:04:08 PM EST

Well, then try thinking of god using one of the gender neutral pronoun sets. Lessee, there's sie/hir (I'm rather partial to these pronouns) , em/eir, hy/hys, gtst, and I'm certain that there are others. I agree wholeheartedly that whatever god is out there probably isn't a he or a she, and probably is offended by being called an it, so pick your favorite pronoun and be at peace.

Why... in my day, the idea wasn't to have a comfortable sub[missive]...
    --soylentdas

I see. God is not only trancendent, but transexual (none / 0) (#44)
    by StephenThompson on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 07:03:32 PM EST

Nope, transgendered [N/T] (none / 0) (#46)
    by ocelotbob on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 07:21:53 PM EST

Why... in my day, the idea wasn't to have a comfortable sub[missive]...
    --soylentdas

Offended?! (none / 0) (#91)
    by synaesthesia on Wed Apr 03, 2002 at 07:28:30 AM EST

ROTFL!

If there is a God, he/she/it/noodle is rather unlikely to be offended by little pipsqueaks such as humans.

Sausages or cheese?
    K5 is not dying (4.30 / 10) (#18)
    by psicE on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 01:34:08 PM EST

I am a K5 regular [lurker]; up until recently I was also a frequent poster. My favorite articles were always the Freedom and Politics or Op/Ed articles, but I had my front page set on Everything, and I found articles from all sections that catch my eye.

Then I found the site Democratic Underground. It's one of the premier ultra-left political discussion sites on the Internet. This is essentially the Freedom and Politics section of K5, but without ratings. There's feature stories on the front page, which are full-length stories submitted to and selected by the site admins, and there's discussion forums, where anything goes (besides flamewars) and all stories are posted. I found many more stories on this site that I wanted to comment on than I had been finding on K5, so I decided to focus on that site instead of K5.

However, this does not mean that I'll be leaving K5 completely. Democratic Underground generally fits my interests better, because it's all about politics. And that's why I still go to K5: I can always be surprised by a story here, that I find extremely interesting or thought-provoking, that has not even a remote connection with politics.

As more and more specialized sites come up, K5's population of active writers (people who write comments and articles on a regular basis) will decline, but we'll see more people write single articles (versus "career" writers), and more lurkers. K5 will always continue to exist as a site where you can find out something new to discuss that never would have come up at a more specialized site.

URL (5.00 / 2) (#25)
    by opendna on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 02:08:51 PM EST

Democratic Underground: for (US) Democratic Party hacks.

=^D

Don't forget (4.00 / 2) (#45)
    by conraduno on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 07:07:17 PM EST

Yellowtimes.org - Sounds like it's the same thing. Yellowtimes has excellent essays.
    non.
    Democratic Underground does not support ratings! (2.00 / 5) (#55)
    by johwsun on Fri Mar 29, 2002 at 01:53:44 AM EST

muhahahahahahahahahaha...

The articles are selected by the admins...

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaahahahahahahahaha

Iasson falls down laughing...

Hmm.. (none / 0) (#65)
    by pattern on Fri Mar 29, 2002 at 09:37:16 AM EST

I subscribe to the notion, "Never read anything you believe."

Missing Link (4.16 / 6) (#22)
    by SPrintF on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 01:57:09 PM EST

What bothers me is you forgot to include the obvious link for game enthusiasts.

don't forget the shack .... (4.50 / 2) (#33)
    by BaMBaM on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 03:51:08 PM EST

Steve Gibson's Shacknews forums are incredibly dynamic and numerous.

Don't forget my site! (4.50 / 4) (#23)
    by dram on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 02:00:59 PM EST

Yes, thats right, Ingenuitas.org. I saw that the quite a good number of stories that were being posted on K5 were about politics so I started my own scoop site dedicated just to politics. So if you are here just for the stories on politics why don't you go over and check out my site. It's still new and small but, with the help of viewers like you, it will be as big as K5 one day. Why don't you go check it out.

-dram
    [grant.henninger.name]

finding forums (4.00 / 3) (#24)
    by squee on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 02:06:52 PM EST

finding forums is easy

this same approach applies for finding a site if you already know a site that is similar. (the Geocities corollary if you will).

Go to yahoo, or dmoz or google search for kuro5hin. The search results will tell you what category kuro5hin is in and you just go and take a look in that category.

Microsoft
    Dianetics

Death (4.00 / 3) (#27)
    by aphrael on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 02:13:47 PM EST

K5 has been dying for over two years. But it has been reborn numerous times in the meantime; it's a continuous process of death, ashes, and flying. :)

It isn't just K5... (4.50 / 6) (#43)
    by dipipanone on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 06:30:09 PM EST

Ever since I first got onto the net back in 1992 or 1993, the idea that it was about to crash and burn has been a common theme. First it was the invention of Mosaic -- which killed stuff like WAIS and Gopher. Then it was the arrival of the unwashed masses in the form of AOL. Then we had the dot.com boom. And all the time, we had people threatening that eventually we were going to run out of IP numbers and there wouldn't be enough to go around.

What's the old saying, 'Internet to crash and burn, film at 11?'.

K5, like the net itself, like all human society in fact, will change and develop. It may well close at some point though I'd be very disappointed as although I've looked in several times in the past, I've only just actually 'got' the place and bothered to register.

Mind you, I also registered and started reading Slashdot at exactly the same time, and according to you lot that place has already been dead for ever, so what do I know? (Can you guess I'm not really a geek?)

If it does die, something else will come along. In the immortal words of the Readers Digest, Life's Like That.

Suck my .sig
    Death of the net (none / 0) (#78)
    by wiml on Fri Mar 29, 2002 at 05:18:00 PM EST

What's the old saying, 'Internet to crash and burn, film at 11?'.

"Death of the net predicted, film at 11."

Usually used to refer to Usenet. Which is still going strong, come to think of it, despite frequent proclamations that it's been dead for years, film or no film. (If your newsfeed is full of crap, get a better feed!)

Alas... (4.63 / 11) (#28)
    by plastic on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 02:34:10 PM EST

I got all excited by the title, thinking it was about the Japanses board game Go. Oh well.

Me, too! *nt* (1.00 / 4) (#38)
    by DarkZero on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 04:50:20 PM EST

nt

For Go-related excitement (4.00 / 1) (#62)
    by MUD on Fri Mar 29, 2002 at 08:11:17 AM EST

this is nice.

Richard's Play-By-eMail Server (none / 0) (#83)
    by codemonkey_uk on Sat Mar 30, 2002 at 10:24:04 AM EST

I play Go on Richard's Play-By-eMail Server. You can challenge me to a game if you like.

My userid there is "Thad".
    Thad

A modest proposal (3.62 / 8) (#32)
    by IHCOYC on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 03:48:51 PM EST

Some of these look pretty interesting, and I signed up for a couple after reading this. On a general interest site, there's always going to be stuff that some people aren't going to be interested in or understand.

But mightn't there be some way to keep a master login file for all of the Scoop sites; so that those of us who have the same user name, .sig, and other info on one can synchronise them all?

This message has been placed here IN MEMORIAM by the Tijuana Bible Society.

Re: A modest proposal (3.25 / 4) (#34)
    by elemental on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 04:11:12 PM EST

Sure, there is. Get all your favorite sites to use this.

I love my country but I fear my government.
    --> Contact info on my web site --

Brilliant idea, hard to implement (3.66 / 3) (#40)
    by TheophileEscargot on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 05:07:44 PM EST

It's annoying to have to set up the same username and preferences on different Scoop sites.

Ideally it would be good to have a single sign on, like Microsoft Passport or its open-source alternatives. That would be very hard to implement tho: at present everything is stored in a database unique to the site.

Even with independent security, I think the system could be improved tho. What I would like to see is a dynamically generated XML document with the display preferences for a user. When you log in to a new Scoop site you could point it at this document and have your preferences set up; complete with sig, public e-mail, stories per page, headline feeds, etc etc. Ideally you could set this up on one scoop site and have all your sigs changed at once, for instance.

Before anyone asks, I don't know perl and I'm lazy, so no, I'm not going to code it myself ;-) But with the headline feeds and aggregated news sites we do seem to be moving towards a kind of "ScoopNet". Resistance is futile!
    ----

Well I checked out all the links.. (4.00 / 4) (#37)
    by RandomAction on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 04:39:23 PM EST

..but couldn't find anything much better. Plastic, /., and K5 do me very well thank you very much. Metafilter is another worth the time.

K5 won't die, I simply won't allow it.

A few nits (2.85 / 7) (#47)
    by EvilGwyn on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 07:34:31 PM EST

Go! is not a complete sentence.

The story is too Americo centric.

It mentions slashdot.

A nit of my own (3.00 / 2) (#48)
    by Agent1 on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 07:35:24 PM EST

Your comment isn't editorial.

-Agent1
    "Thats the whole point of the internet, to slander people anonymously." - Anonymous
    "Go!" is a complete sentence. (5.00 / 2) (#58)
    by Lord Puppet on Fri Mar 29, 2002 at 03:59:33 AM EST

Imperative sentences have an implied "you" as the subject.

Actually (2.50 / 2) (#85)
    by rusty on Sat Mar 30, 2002 at 01:34:27 PM EST

English has developed since then. Now imperative sentences have an implied "You" as subject and "girl" as object. So the title of this story, for grammatical purposes, is assumed to be "[You ]Go[, girl]!"

____
    Not the real rusty
    another slash site of note... (4.00 / 1) (#49)
    by tonx on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 07:55:09 PM EST

I've been peeking at slash.Autonomedia.org every now and then... Its a pretty potent dose of theory-heavy far left global politics. You'll see alot of really provocative, intelligent content there that doesn't show up in other forums. There isn't much in the way of discussion bursting there yet... I hope that will change. Their collection of RSS feeds is pretty extensive too. Autonomedia publishes some really excellent books.

Yeah! Let's all get up and go NOW! (4.83 / 6) (#50)
    by martingale on Thu Mar 28, 2002 at 08:14:16 PM EST

I'll stay behind a few minutes just to make sure nobody stays behind ;-)

Also ... (4.33 / 3) (#53)
    by Kalani on Fri Mar 29, 2002 at 01:06:36 AM EST

... for people interested in game programming (also programming physics simulations, abstract geometry, etc), see flipcode or Gamasutra.

-----
    "I [think] that ultimately physics will not require a mathematical statement; in the end the machinery will be revealed and the laws will turn out to be simple, like the checker board."
    --Richard Feynman
    Games (4.00 / 1) (#61)
    by Holloway on Fri Mar 29, 2002 at 05:52:57 AM EST

Joystick101.org (and I don't suppose bluesnews counts)

== Human's wear pants, if they don't wear pants they stand out in a crowd. But if a monkey didn't wear pants it would be anonymous

No thanks, I think I will stay here (3.66 / 3) (#54)
    by sweetie on Fri Mar 29, 2002 at 01:51:05 AM EST

"If god thinks he's doing me wrong , he'll strike his ass down with a lightning bolt!"
    Have you been fucked with the wrong way? If so then post that Bitch or Dick to my Dick
    I DON'T CARE!!! (2.33 / 3) (#56)
    by techwolf on Fri Mar 29, 2002 at 02:12:49 AM EST

about any other sites. I found slashdot first and then later Kuro. and I like it here I am comforable and the stories aren't that bad. besides you think the story quality has gone done, then write one you're damn self! afraid the grammer kiddies will get you? then do a thing called SPELLCHECK. My $.02
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson
    calm down! (4.00 / 1) (#57)
    by johwsun on Fri Mar 29, 2002 at 02:36:28 AM EST

dont shout too loud please, I have a problem with my ears..

Its 2 [nt] (none / 0) (#60)
    by dram on Fri Mar 29, 2002 at 04:56:25 AM EST

-dram
    [grant.henninger.name]

It's spelled grammar. (none / 0) (#64)
    by David Quartz on Fri Mar 29, 2002 at 09:23:04 AM EST

Try using spell-check.

Call your mother, she's worried!
    ... and it's "'your" not "you're&qu (none / 0) (#73)
    by Fizyx on Fri Mar 29, 2002 at 01:43:36 PM EST

"You're damn self" would mean "you are damn self." So maybe you should check your grammar in addition to spelling (which you didn't do either, come to think of it). Somebody told me once that it should be "spelling checker," not "spell checker." A spell checker would identify errors usages such as, "eye of bat, toe of newt."

www.theregister.co.uk (4.50 / 2) (#59)
    by SlashDread on Fri Mar 29, 2002 at 04:22:23 AM EST

What??

You left out the awesome British fume site!

Gr /Dread

www.kult.net (3.00 / 2) (#63)
    by Walpurgis on Fri Mar 29, 2002 at 08:12:51 AM EST

www.violence.de

www.noumenal.net/exiles

Excellent list Theophile (3.50 / 2) (#66)
    by sfischer on Fri Mar 29, 2002 at 09:37:21 AM EST

Thanks for posting such a concise list of alternatives. I've often wondered if such a briefly annotated list existed and I've hotlisted your excellent resource. I would encourage others to do the same and refer to it when those spates of frustration hit.

Pick your focus. If K5 doesn't meet that focus, find someplace else that does. As for me, K5 is only one of a brief handful of community resources I participate in.

Also, I will be rating highly comments with additional concisely described community links!!

-swf

ars technica (4.00 / 3) (#67)
    by mpalczew on Fri Mar 29, 2002 at 10:05:28 AM EST

I would take your recomendation and check out ars technica, but their color scheme was designed by 12year olds. White on Black?? Come on now.
    -- Death to all Fanatics!
    K5 is dieing? (4.00 / 2) (#68)
    by etherdeath on Fri Mar 29, 2002 at 10:24:21 AM EST

I thought the approved stories were getting better actually.

Politics! Politics! Politics! (2.00 / 1) (#69)
    by darthaya on Fri Mar 29, 2002 at 11:59:06 AM EST

I like reading and discussing politics. But it does not seem to me that any one of the discussion sites are politics-centric.

Does anyone care to introduce some site nice?

Read again (none / 0) (#71)
    by Woundweavr on Fri Mar 29, 2002 at 01:08:54 PM EST

I have already started such a site! (none / 0) (#75)
    by dram on Fri Mar 29, 2002 at 03:17:25 PM EST

Come check out Ingenuitas.org. It's new, only a few months old, but if you want to write about politics it would be a great place to go. Right now there aren't a ton of stories, but slowly we are adding more and getting more users to partiicipate. It's a scoop site, so the setup is just like K5 (I have found I don't like Quorum/EThePeople, there system is all wierd). Why don't you come and check it out. I think you would enjoy it.

-dram
    [grant.henninger.name]

E The People discussion site (none / 0) (#79)
    by Jim Madison on Fri Mar 29, 2002 at 06:30:47 PM EST

My site, mentioned in the article, has a neat discussion site at:

Got democracy? Try e-thePeople.org.

UseTheSource and Slashdot Censorship (4.40 / 5) (#70)
    by jgrahamc on Fri Mar 29, 2002 at 11:59:52 AM EST

A couple of years ago I started running a Slashsite called UseTheSource it's still going strong.

I duly announced the site on Slashcode and it was placed in the list Slashsites.

Some time later I started getting critical about Slashdot on my site (Is Slashdot getting boring? and New Feature: JonKatz warning level).

Lo and behold I go to the list of Slash sites and UseTheSource isn't there... coincidence or are /. corporate masters (or just Katz) unhappy about criticism?

Troll, meta-troll, or what? (4.66 / 3) (#72)
    by snub on Fri Mar 29, 2002 at 01:29:13 PM EST

If this article had not made it to the frontpage I would've passed it off as just a troll. But now I wonder, is this really some sort of meta-troll carefully designed to spark people into action? There are a number of things an article like this can accomplish: 1) get rid of some deadwood members by giving them an easy list of alternatives plus a "reason" for leaving (i.e. it was dieing anyway) 2) prod the remaining members to work harder to make the site better (i.e. preventing it from dieing) and 3) drawing out a lot of idiots who rise to the flamebait so you can more easily ignore their posts in the future.

If an article like this appeared on /. I suspect that you would get a lot of #3, some of #1, and very, very little of #2. I'm happy to say that judging by the posts so far I've seen very little #3 but I wonder just how much of the other two you managed to generate?

"Shredded cabbage and mayo go good together."
    Cole's Law

He's done us all a favor... (none / 0) (#84)
    by MrMikey on Sat Mar 30, 2002 at 11:53:03 AM EST

despite the highly trollish "It is a truth universally acknowledged that K5 is dying." (which is neither truth nor universally, or even commonly acknowledged). He's created a tread in which everyone can mention the other sites they frequent, thereby providing us all with a bunch of new sites to look at. As much as I like kuro5hin.org, it isn't the only site I frequent and/or post on.

So, I say "Thanks!", whether the benefit was intentional or accidental.

More suggestions (4.50 / 2) (#74)
    by shirobara on Fri Mar 29, 2002 at 02:05:48 PM EST

If one of the main joys in your life is obsessing about meta issues, trivial points of etiquette and fascinating details of online community relations, skip Metafilter and go straight to Metatalk!

If you're a "nice guy" bitter about women and life, or if you feel the need to talk at length about subjects you don't have much actual experience with like dating, life choices, and dealing with other people, you might enjoy the MegaTokyo Ask Dr. Natsuki message board. For people who enjoy tweaking some fairly holier-than-thou noses every once in a while, the same message board might be sort of fun as well!

It's kind of like splitting k5 up into the meta section and the diary section. I personally get a great kick out of both boards ^_^

Half-Empty (4.00 / 1) (#76)
    by Freaky on Fri Mar 29, 2002 at 03:44:06 PM EST

http://www.half-empty.org/, which tries to be a bit different :)

Clears Throat (4.00 / 1) (#77)
    by bayers on Fri Mar 29, 2002 at 03:44:49 PM EST

I have a weblog:

It's for sf and fantasy with a writer's workshop thrown in.

[clears throat]

Gaming Stuff (none / 0) (#80)
    by Niche on Fri Mar 29, 2002 at 06:37:30 PM EST

I dont know if any of you all into the gaming thing, and I know K5 isnt really, but many of the other gaming sites are 'dying'. IGN is a prime example of shitiness in gaming news. Check out http://gamefu.org, as they have some awesome stuff.

monolinux (2.50 / 2) (#81)
    by E r i c on Sat Mar 30, 2002 at 12:51:53 AM EST

I founded monolinux after desiring a Linux-only community site that wasn't chaotic and dominated by trolls. In only a few weeks, we now have over 200 registered members who are very pleased with the site, which has private messaging, forum, and, of course, news/commenting capabilities.

One of the really nice things is that it's all intertwined, so if you go to your user profile page, it includes info about both forum AND news comments.

Basically, it's like Slashdot, but Linux-only, no ads, and proper grammar/spelling ;-)

I blame my past transgressions on Eminem's music. Reform number five is currently in progress.

And this would say what (5.00 / 1) (#89)
    by eviltwin on Sun Mar 31, 2002 at 08:31:45 AM EST

Considering your behaviour in the short time you have been a member i find the no trolls bit fucking hilarious .

You are aware of the legolas VS eric deathmatch aren't you?

All generalisations are false, including this one.
    bottomquark (4.00 / 1) (#82)
    by matthijs on Sat Mar 30, 2002 at 03:40:06 AM EST

I just have to mention bottomquark. It's dedicated to science-related stories. There are few to no comments for most topics, but if you're into science in general, you might appreciate the links.

An alternative (4.00 / 1) (#88)
    by alanmiller on Sun Mar 31, 2002 at 06:12:38 AM EST

I'm blundering around a bit on this site and Plastic, being fairly new. But the reason for coming here in the first place is to find someplace other than h2g2, which can be a bit slow at times. The link is http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2 - I've still to figure how to put links in posts here...

Ad a site (4.00 / 1) (#90)
    by Chungkuo on Sun Mar 31, 2002 at 05:47:58 PM EST

This is obviously an excuse to advertise sites at will, so I'll do likewise. I'm rather fond of PostNuke for ease of use and quick setup. Not as touchy or complex as Slash or Scoop, so I like it. It's good for admins with short attention spans. My own PostNuke site, Nixon Biscuit: Infamous, Yet Buttery is mostly a rather complecated experiment in ego masturbation. BUT! We have our own domain (guess...yeah, nixonbiscuit.net), and a cool ass name (or, at least, we think so). Plus, Voxel.net is just accross the Hudson River from my home town in Troy. This is Troy, NY, not Troy, MI, home of Big Beaver Road.

Want to ad a site? (none / 0) (#92)
    by fortytwo on Mon Apr 08, 2002 at 09:04:57 AM EST

Do it here.

another (5.00 / 1) (#93)
    by dirvish on Sun May 12, 2002 at 04:49:54 AM EST

Here is another one: http://slashdotsucks.com/

Technical Certification Blog, Anti Spam Blog
    Go! | 93 comments (85 topical, 8 editorial, 0 hidden)