How to install Scoop in Windows 2000/XP

By Tim_F in Internet
Fri Jul 19, 2002 at 05:48:39 AM EST
Tags: Scoop (all tags)
Scoop

I have succesfully installed Scoop in Windows. Below you can find a step by step guide to how I did this. Feel free to offer any comments you might have, and please let me know if you can get account creation working. I still don't know why it won't.

How-To Install Scoop in Windows
  1. Install the Apache webserver (current version of the 1.x series is 1.3.26). You can download the Windows Apache binaries by clicking here.
  2. Install the MySQL database. Current version as of this writing is 3.23.51. You can download the Windows MySQL binaries by clicking here.
  3. Install the ActiveState ActivePerl distribution. Current version as of this writing is 5.6.1.633. You can download ActivePerl by clicking here.
  4. Install Scoop. You should grab the 0.9 Scoop nightly. It can be obtained by clicking here. I installed Scoop in 'C:\Scoop', and will be using that directory throughout the rest of this how-to.
  5. Setup MySQL:
    1. Start MySql:
      • Open up a Dos prompt, and type 'c:\mysql\bin\mysqld --install'
      • Open Administrative Tools in the Control Panel.
      • Double click on the Services icon.
      • You can change the properties so that the MySQL service is started automatically or manually.
    2. Setup the Scoop database:
      • Type: 'c:\mysql\bin\mysql' at the dos prompt.
      • Type: 'create database scoop;'.
      • Type: 'grant insert, update, delete, select on scoop.* to root@localhost identified by 'password';'.
      • Type: 'exit'. You will now be back at the command prompt.
      • Type: 'c:\mysql\bin\mysql -u root -p scoop < c:\scoop\struct\scoop.sql'.
      • Type: 'c:\mysql\bin\mysql -u root -p scoop'.
      • Type: 'update vars set value='/<path>' where name='rootdir';' if you would like scoop to run from a path within your domain, type that path instead of '/<path>' (eg: /scoop), otherwise leave it blank.
      • Type: 'update vars set value='putyouremailaddresshere' where name='local_email';'. Put your email address where it says put your email address here.
      • Type: 'update blocks set block='putyouremailaddresshere' where bid='admin_alert';'. Put your email address where it says put your email address here.
      • Type: 'update vars set value='http://your.site.address' where name='logout_url';'. Replace your.site.address with your site address.
      • Type: 'update vars set value='http://your.site.address' where name='site_url';'. Replace your.site.address with your site address.
  6. Setup ActivePerl:
    • Open up the dos prompt again.
    • Type: 'ppm install DBD-mysql'.
    • Type: 'ppm install Digest-MD5'.
    • Type: 'ppm install ApacheDBI'.
    • Type: 'ppm install http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppmpackages/libapreq.ppd'.
    • Type: 'ppm install http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppmpackages/Apache-Session.ppd'.
    • Type: 'ppm install Class-Singleton'.
    • Type: 'ppm install Crypt-UnixCrypt'.
    • Type: 'ppm install Mail-Sendmail'.
    • Type: 'ppm install String-Random'.
    • Type: 'ppm install Time-Modules'.
    • Type: 'ppm install Crypt-CBC'.
    • Type: 'ppm install Crypt-Blowfish'.
    • Type: 'ppm install XML-RSS'.
    • Type: 'ppm install http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppmpackages/mod_perl.ppd'. This will install mod_perl. You will need to supply it with your Apache modules directory.
  7. Edit the Scoop config file
    • Open the file 'C:\Scoop\etc\httpd-location.conf' in your favourite text editor.
    • Whenever you need to supply a local path in the config file (eg. C:\Scoop) you will need to change the backslash to a forward slash (so C:\Scoop becomes C:/Scoop).
    • Edit line 48, so that it reads 'use lib qw( C:/scoop/lib );'.
    • Edit line 53 so it reads '<Location>'. This will have Scoop show up from the root directory of the server. If you don't like this, change it to the appropriate path.
    • Edit line 76: 'PerlSetVar mysql_version __MYSQL_VER__', replace __MYSQL_VER__ with your version of MySQL.
    • Edit line 91 so that it reads 'PerlSetVar db_name scoop'.
    • Edit line 94 so it reads 'PerlSetVar db_host localhost'. If it is running on another server, replace 'localhost' with the name of that server.
    • Edit line 97: 'PerlSetVar db_user __DBUSER__'. Replace __DBUSER__ with the username that will connect to the scoop database.
    • Edit line 100: 'PerlSetVar db_pass __DBPASS__'. Replace __DBPASS__ with the password of the database.
    • Edit line 112 so that it reads 'my $vfile = 'C:/scoop/VERSION';'.
    • Edit line 114 so that it reads 'push(@{ $Location{'/'}->{PerlSetVar} },'.
    • Edit line 128: 'PerlSetVar cookie_host __COOKIE_HOST__'. Replace __COOKIE_HOST__ with the name of your cookie server.
    • Edit line 131: 'PerlSetVar SMTP __SMTP_SERVER__'. Replace __SMTP_SERVER__ with the name of your SMTP server.
    • Edit line 135: 'PerlSetVar site_id __SITE_ID__'. Replace __SITE_ID__ with whatever you would like to call your site.
    • Edit line 144: Add an unguessable key.
    • Edit line 168 so that it reads 'PerlRequire c:/scoop/etc/startup.pl'.
    • Edit line 175 so that it reads 'Alias /scoop/images/ "C:/scoop/html/images/"'.
  8. Edit the Apache config file
    • Open the file 'C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache\conf\httpd.conf'.
    • Add the following line to the Load Modules section: 'LoadModule perl_module modules/mod_perl.so'.
    • Add the following line to the Add Modules section: 'AddModule mod_perl.c'.
    • Put an email address at which you can be reached in the Server Admin section: 'ServerAdmin you@yourisp.com'.
    • Modify the Server Name section to reflect your real server name: 'ServerName www.myserver.com'.
    • Modify the Document Root section to point to the htdocs directory of your Apache install. In this case: 'DocumentRoot "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache/htdocs"'.
    • Two sections below the Document Root section will need to read as follows: '<Directory "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache/htdocs">'.
    • Add the following line to the bottom of the file: 'Include c:/scoop/etc/httpd-location.conf'.
  9. Last minute things
    • Change the password for the scoop account.
    • Create a new administrator account.
    • Delete the scoop account.

Enjoy your new Scoop instalation!

With this, everything works so far. Except account creation. It seems to not work. I have set my ISP's smtp server in both httpd-location.conf, and in Sendmail.pm. After install I can succesfully setup one account, and then that is it. Every single attempt after that results in a "bad email" message and account creation failure. If anyone has any ideas, feel free to comment.

Scoop in Windows:
o You crazy bastard! 56%
o I could do that with my eyes closed. 14%
o That's it, no more Linux for me. 28%

o Scoop
o here
o here [2]
o here [3]
o here [4]
o Also by Tim_F

How to install Scoop in Windows 2000/XP | 44 comments (22 topical, 22 editorial, 0 hidden)
utter disbelief (3.90 / 11) (#1)
by demi on Thu Jul 18, 2002 at 08:48:39 PM EST

This could very well be the most useful thing I have ever read on k5.

I second... (4.00 / 1) (#29)
by barake on Fri Jul 19, 2002 at 08:54:21 AM EST

... that one. Though I don't want to install Scoop quite yet, getting ActivePerl to behave anything like Perl on the *nix box has been a problem for me (no, I don't read the docs).

Best post EVAR! (NT) (3.00 / 3) (#37)
by lithmonkey on Fri Jul 19, 2002 at 12:51:42 PM EST

/me nods in agreement... (none / 0) (#42)
by blisspix on Sun Jul 21, 2002 at 10:29:05 PM EST

well done to the author for providing this info. it's extremely useful to have this kind of info since I think often the authors of the product often forget some of their users are not using unix or are not especially cluey about how to install this stuff.

i've been meaning to scoop my website for a while, but i couldn't figure out how to do it on windows, so thanks.

now all we need are the mac instructions and then all my computers will be set. :)

Hulver had a problem with e-mail confirmation (3.50 / 2) (#8)
by wiredog on Thu Jul 18, 2002 at 09:01:16 PM EST

IIRC, Scoop was putting an extra '/' in the url it was sending to users. You can get to his site via my sig.

Can't sleep. The clowns will get me.
That's not my problem (none / 0) (#12)
by Tim_F on Thu Jul 18, 2002 at 09:25:50 PM EST

It just plain won't send the email. After a fresh install, it is able to setup one account succesfully. After that, every email address entered is bad.

This would seem to be a problem with the way it is interacting with the smtp server. I have had the same results with setting up an IIS server locally as SMTP. I have also tried IndigoMail from IndigoStar software with no luck.

That works, or... (2.00 / 4) (#10)
by pb on Thu Jul 18, 2002 at 09:19:33 PM EST

Personally, I'd just install it in Cygwin; I already installed Perl, Apache, and Mysql, (as well as X, xchat, and everybuddy... :) so I figure Scoop would be a piece of cake.

As for your e-mail problem, I'd personally blame it on Perl, since there are some differences between Perl on Unix and Perl on Windows.  Of course, since I'm not testing it, it could be something completely different, especially since Apache configuration can involve a lot of black magic and sacrificing of chickens...

Good luck!
-- pwhysall

Installing Scoop is way too complicated (2.90 / 22) (#16)
by Steve Ballmer on Thu Jul 18, 2002 at 10:36:02 PM EST

How to install SharePoint Portal Server on Windows 2000/XP

Pop in the CD, enter the 25-digit CD Key, agree to the EULA, click "Next".

Yes, the entry cost for SharePoint Portal Server is US$6,500.00, but the amount saved in productivity (when compared to Scoop, a Unix-based product composed of various shell scripts) is well worth it.

Apple WebObjects is optimal; read this, Steve (3.87 / 8) (#25)
by Steve Jobs on Fri Jul 19, 2002 at 03:27:49 AM EST

Steve, I realize that Microsoft wishes to promote its products on Web sites, but I do not think that this is an appropiate way to spread the word. When you think about it, what you are doing is essentially propagating spam (for .Mac and iTools users who have not heard of this term due to our server-side junk mail filtering, it is unsolicited email). While Microsoft is known for many things--not the least its virus and worm troubles--spam is not a good thing to be connected with. I hope that you review this comment and act appropiately. You don't want my developers removing a bit of required API for Office, do you? Wink wink!

Actually, TiBooks are quite popular in Redmond (3.42 / 14) (#26)
by Steve Ballmer on Fri Jul 19, 2002 at 03:55:36 AM EST

But I'm having trouble getting both Mail.app and Entourage to send mail out using smtp.mac.com and my free iTools account. I think a certain granola-eating hippie from California needs to get off his keister and fix that mail server. Or maybe he should just migrate to Exchange?

Macs make pretty good client systems, so long you're running Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player, MSN Messenger, and Office v. X. You'd have to be crazy to run them as servers, though.

charlatan (5.00 / 1) (#43)
by doubleyou on Sun Jul 21, 2002 at 11:17:16 PM EST

Very funny guys. Now show us your real names.

SharePoint Demo (none / 0) (#44)
by stephencummins on Mon Jul 22, 2002 at 06:49:05 AM EST

You can download a demo of SharePoint that'll work for 3 months that's free, you can get it at http://www.microsoft.com/sharepoint or http://www.spsfaq.com/downloads.asp?postid=65

Heh. (4.00 / 1) (#30)
by Quick Star on Fri Jul 19, 2002 at 09:21:50 AM EST

Having trouble with the MySQL install.  What's required to build it from source on win2kpro?  The installation hangs without so much as a splash screen on my system.

"absolutely no one can sex a lobster without cutting it open" -- rusty

Hmm. (none / 0) (#31)
by Quick Star on Fri Jul 19, 2002 at 09:26:40 AM EST

Trying to install .49 shows the same problem.

"absolutely no one can sex a lobster without cutting it open" -- rusty

Why compile it? (none / 0) (#32)
by theboz on Fri Jul 19, 2002 at 10:28:35 AM EST

I installed the binary version and it works fine (although I've only tested it with MS-Access and VB so far, not perl/scoop/etc.)

Stuff.

Because it won't work (none / 0) (#33)
by Quick Star on Fri Jul 19, 2002 at 10:38:15 AM EST

Been trying to do the install, and it freezes and refuses to run.

"absolutely no one can sex a lobster without cutting it open" -- rusty

Weird (none / 0) (#35)
by theboz on Fri Jul 19, 2002 at 11:42:02 AM EST

I installed it fine, but I'm using XP. I don't see how that would matter though since XP and 2K are virtually the same under the hood.

Stuff.

I'm thinking it was the machine I'm using at work. (none / 0) (#40)
by Quick Star on Fri Jul 19, 2002 at 05:16:10 PM EST

But I'm not sure - I will try to duplicate here...

"absolutely no one can sex a lobster without cutting it open" -- rusty

Huh? (2.87 / 8) (#34)
by EriKZ on Fri Jul 19, 2002 at 11:38:49 AM EST

What the heck is Scoop and why did you want to install it?

Scoop (5.00 / 1) (#36)
by kostya on Fri Jul 19, 2002 at 12:39:50 PM EST

You know, the thing that makes this post possible? Haven't you ever seen the scoop logo at the bottom of the site?

----
Veritas otium parit. --Terence
Err (4.75 / 4) (#38)
by taerom on Fri Jul 19, 2002 at 02:39:18 PM EST

Whether or not this was a serious question, it raises a good point about this article - there's not so much as a single sentence that offers an overview of what Scoop is, or why on earth you'd want to go through all these steps.

The author should've covered a couple of things:

- What is Scoop?
- What does it normally run on?
- Why bother running it on Win2k/XP?

Yeah anyone who visits K5 much should at least know that Scoop is part of the underlying technology, but even so... The article should at least offer a brief intro to the whole thing, rather than just a "hey I did it!" with some instructions.

Well... (3.00 / 1) (#41)
by EriKZ on Fri Jul 19, 2002 at 06:57:40 PM EST

Actually, no. Why would I look beyond the comments? I don't have a fetish for legal junk, and everything else I use is at the top of the page.

And why would I care what software makes the site? I come here, I read the stories, I reply.