A World Map of the Mind

By DOsinga in Internet
Thu Sep 11, 2003 at 12:04:35 AM EST
Tags: Culture (all tags)
Culture

I have always been interested in maps. Especially in how the maps people draw tell something about the way these people see the world. For a while, I tried to get people from different countries to draw me a map of the world and compare the results.

This didn't work very well. Most people thought it a test of some kind and found their own lack of geographical knowledge insulting. The World Map of the Mind project is a second attempt at this project, this time electronically.

Visitors to the project are presented with the map so far, a crude bitmap build out of green and blue blocks. Green blocks represent land, blue blocks water. One of the blocks is red. The visitor is then asked whether that block should be land or water.

After a while, with enough visitors, the shapes of the continents start to appear and a first world map becomes visible. This is about where the project is now.

With every click, the ip number of the user is stored. In a second phase, this can be used to reconstruct worldmaps as pictured by people from a certain top-level domain, ie compare the world as seen by people from .org or .com. People will tend to make their own continent/country/region bigger and more far off places smaller.

The current approach is rather vulnerable to misuse. Anybody with the time and will could modify the map by clicking long enough. However, since all clicks are registered, clicks that come from IP numbers that contradict the common opinion too much could be filtered out. On the long run, these minority opinions could be projected on their own maps.

The position of the continents is another variable. Older American maps sometimes show the Americas in the middle. European and more modern American maps show Europe in the middle. Asian maps tend to show Asia in the middle. A google search for "world map" site:.jp returns about 50% maps with asia in the middle, while "world map" site:.us returns even some America centric maps.

In a similar project by Kevan Davis, The Smaller Picture. Here visitors develop together a font. The site has been around for a while and animation feature allows you to see how letters have developed. Most letters stabilized after 1000 iterations. After that, a lingering noise stays around. This could probably be fixed by the above described minority/majority opinion system

o Google
o project is now
o The Smaller Picture
o Also by DOsinga

A World Map of the Mind | 90 comments (71 topical, 19 editorial, 0 hidden)
Very neat. (2.25 / 4) (#9)
by UserGoogol on Mon Sep 08, 2003 at 02:59:21 PM EST

Atlantic Ocean and Indian Ocean appear to be shaping up nicely. (As of 1617)

Interesting (3.20 / 5) (#13)
by Tatarigami on Mon Sep 08, 2003 at 03:54:01 PM EST

As a lad from deep in the Southern Hemisphere, I always picture the world the way I see it in the atlas, with the Atlantic Ocean in the centre.

Mind you, the Wizard of Christchurch claims that normal maps have been inverted so that New Zealand only appears to be on the bottom. He's waged a life-long battle to liberate us from the unholy force of gravity.

The Wiz (3.00 / 1) (#47)
by hatshepsut on Tue Sep 09, 2003 at 01:48:23 PM EST

He is funny to listen to, however, though now that he is funny/cool, and is followed around by hoards of people with nothing better to do, it is a little less entertaining.

I should have recorded some of his rants, I could have used them on the trolls around here...

Journey to the Center of the Mind (1.05 / 20) (#19)
by Zombie Uday Hussein on Mon Sep 08, 2003 at 08:04:45 PM EST

Leave your cares behind
Come with us and find
The pleasures of a journey to the center of the mind
Chorus:
Come along if you care
Come along if you dare
Take a ride to the land inside of your mind
Beyond the seas of thought
Beyond the realm of what
Across the streams of hopes and dreams where things are really not
[repeat chorus]
But please realise
You'll probably be surprised
For it's the land unknown to man
Where fantasy is fact
So if you can, please understand
You might not come back
[repeat chorus]
How happy life could be
If all of mankind
Would take the time to journey to the center of the mind
Would take the time to journey to the center of the mind
Center of the mind
(echo: the mind, the mind)

not ZOMBIE turkey. just turkey. maybe a little mayo.
Well, schucks (totally off topic) (2.75 / 4) (#20)
by SocratesGhost on Mon Sep 08, 2003 at 08:22:29 PM EST

anyone who devotes webspace to philosophy is A-OK in my book. I have visited one of the author's other sites (Savage Mind - a wikipedia for philosophy) several times in the past. Just wanted to say, thanks and keep up the effort! Now that I'm re-aware of it, maybe I'll contribute something. I noticed you don't have an entry on Paul and Patricia Churchland, so look for it soon.

-Soc
I drank what?

I find your site very interesting (2.33 / 3) (#22)
by vyruss on Mon Sep 08, 2003 at 11:25:13 PM EST

therefore, +1FP (my 2 euro cents)

• PRINT CHR$(147)

re: your sig. (4.50 / 4) (#48)
by ninja rmg on Tue Sep 09, 2003 at 01:59:12 PM EST

where did hear that sentence?

Jeez... (none / 0) (#72)
by vyruss on Wed Sep 10, 2003 at 01:12:39 AM EST

...for the life of me I can't remember. It was definitely in a movie I watched some millenia ago.

• PRINT CHR$(147)

LIAR! (none / 0) (#78)
by ninja rmg on Wed Sep 10, 2003 at 07:43:56 PM EST

you heard it somewhere else.

where did you hear it?

No, really (none / 0) (#79)
by vyruss on Wed Sep 10, 2003 at 10:35:46 PM EST

it was in a movie I tell you. It's just that it was so catchy I still remember it after all these years. You see the guy who said it said it to a character called Luke, who had to follow somebody but was on foot. I've googling around trying to remember which one it was, but no luck. But I'll tell you as soon as I find it :)

• PRINT CHR$(147)

do not try to hide the truth. (none / 0) (#80)
by ninja rmg on Wed Sep 10, 2003 at 10:40:14 PM EST

i know where you heard this. do not try to fool me.

tell me.

having reviewed your website... (none / 0) (#81)
by ninja rmg on Wed Sep 10, 2003 at 10:41:45 PM EST

i am convinced you did not hear this where i thought you might have.

i apologize for any inconvenience.

lol (none / 0) (#82)
by vyruss on Wed Sep 10, 2003 at 10:49:10 PM EST

you're pulling my leg, right? Where did you think I heard it?

• PRINT CHR$(147)

i cannot divulge that information. (none / 0) (#83)
by ninja rmg on Wed Sep 10, 2003 at 10:53:40 PM EST

it would link me to my true identity too easily.

lol, I knew you were pulling my leg :) [nt] (none / 0) (#84)
by vyruss on Wed Sep 10, 2003 at 10:58:09 PM EST

• PRINT CHR$(147)

no, actually i'm dead serious. /nt (none / 0) (#85)
by ninja rmg on Wed Sep 10, 2003 at 11:05:57 PM EST

Doesn't seem to work in Konqueror (3.00 / 5) (#23)
by richarj on Mon Sep 08, 2003 at 11:26:24 PM EST

Works in mozilla though.

How is the map picture crated on the site?

"if you are uncool, don't worry, K5 is still the place for you!" -- rusty

How the picture is created (3.00 / 1) (#35)
by DOsinga on Tue Sep 09, 2003 at 04:51:00 AM EST

The picture is a table, with <td/> and <th/> elements as cells. In the style sheet these are defined with different background colors. I have no idea why this doesn't work in Konquerer. Any hints?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sample my Google Hacks
technical suggestion (4.50 / 2) (#44)
by boxed on Tue Sep 09, 2003 at 10:56:44 AM EST

I have color override set up in IE so it doesn't work for me either. What you should do is have each square be an image and note that you can NOT have the image as a background on the cell since accessibility options like color override will remove background images too.

I live in the US... (3.25 / 4) (#24)
by gilrain on Mon Sep 08, 2003 at 11:36:02 PM EST

...and I have never seen a world map with the Americas in the center. I can't remember seeing a map which wasn't centered on some point in the Atlantic ocean, with Africa being the nearest continent to the center.

Sure, we're ego-centric in a lot of ways, but putting ourselves in the center of the map would just be transparent.

If not america (2.00 / 1) (#36)
by kesuari on Tue Sep 09, 2003 at 05:11:53 AM EST

If not America, who makes all the ads by American companies/on American products that put America in the centre? Australia?

And I'm pretty sure I've seen some maps with 0 (or near-0) on the edge.

I don't know what crack you're smoking (none / 0) (#73)
by Koutetsu on Wed Sep 10, 2003 at 01:49:33 AM EST

But most all American depicitions of the world in 2D map format have the Americas on the left side. Then again, I don't see many products from the U.S. that have whole world maps on them.

m(y) d.n.e. Me in terms of You does not exist.
I do too (3.00 / 1) (#43)
by Rahaan on Tue Sep 09, 2003 at 10:25:18 AM EST

and I can.  It's still hanging in my living room.  It's awesome.

There probably is no coincidence that the USSR still existed when the map was made, however, as the Americas are directly in the middle and eastern Asia is split onto two different sides of the map, right through China somewhere.

you know, jake.. i've noticed that, since the tacos started coming, the mail doesn't so much come as often, or even at all

You should see the South Americans. (3.00 / 1) (#54)
by awgsilyari on Tue Sep 09, 2003 at 03:52:13 PM EST

They draw the map upside down so their continent will be on top.

--------
Please direct SPAM to john@neuralnw.com
Actually (2.09 / 11) (#25)
by antichrist stormtrooper on Tue Sep 09, 2003 at 01:02:59 AM EST

Most generic world maps today have the Greenwich Mean Time latitude running down the center, and that is about what the map on your site is shaping up to be.

Now that the subject has been broached I really feel obligated to take issue with the chronocentric priveleging of Greenwich Mean Time on "modern" "maps". This placement serves to insidiously further imperialist aims by "embedding" them , as it were, in the subtext, thus shackling peoples who might be better served by, say, the Aztec Moondial or the Ubangi Oudaboudagouga Water Clock, to techno-capitalist timetables. The so-called "war" on "terrorism" is just one of the symptoms of this malignant chronocentrism.

"I hate cats almost as much as I hate Italians" -Albert Einstein
Yeah, I know, "longitude". [nt] (2.00 / 1) (#26)
by antichrist stormtrooper on Tue Sep 09, 2003 at 01:11:25 AM EST

"I hate cats almost as much as I hate Italians" -Albert Einstein
lol (4.00 / 2) (#38)
by TheModerate on Tue Sep 09, 2003 at 07:10:31 AM EST

These trolls are much funnier now that I actually know liberals who speak like this :)

"What a man has in himself is, then, the chief element in his happiness." -- Schopenhauer

Interesting (4.00 / 4) (#27)
by godix on Tue Sep 09, 2003 at 01:26:35 AM EST

Your wrong about American maps having America in center, the standard is to have England in center. I don't know if Europe uses the same standard or not, but I'd actually be suprised if they didn't. Your map seems to be shaping up with the center running roughly along the dividing line of Europe and Asia although there still isn't enough blocks to tell for sure. The problem appears to be not which land mass gets put in the center but instead that people are underplaying the oceans. The Atlantic ocean is by far bigger than it's shaping up to be and there appears to be almost no ocean between Asia and Australia. You are exposing a bias, but instead of a bias about continents it seems to be just a bias towards land over water.

I don't understand spending all that money for a fancy shot ... when pregnancy ain't nothing that a good coathanger or a pair of steel toed boots can't fix<
The shrinking oceans... (3.00 / 1) (#29)
by andamac on Tue Sep 09, 2003 at 02:32:45 AM EST

could just be conflict in where people are putting the coastlines though. If you watch the movie of the whole thing Africa is HUGE at one point.

Then again, making land bigger then it should be seems like something that could parallel a blindfolded person drawing a human figure. (The heads and hands tend to end up too big for the rest of the body) And it makes more sense from a human bias point of view then does making your own country the biggest or centered I think... you're right when you point out that the map seems to be shaping up to be like most global maps, with the Atlantic/Europe in the middle.

This is a ridiculously interesting thing though. It'll be interesting to see how it progresses.

Shrinking middle east too (3.00 / 2) (#31)
by nusuth on Tue Sep 09, 2003 at 04:00:02 AM EST

There is almost no space between africa and india, india and australia. I guess there are few, if any, middle easterners or south east asians among the voters. My money on "my country is bigger" bias rather than "my country is closer to the center."

Not quite (2.66 / 3) (#37)
by Big Dogs Cock on Tue Sep 09, 2003 at 06:46:33 AM EST

The standard Mercator projection has Germany in the centre. I will leave it up to you to guess the nationality of Gerardus Mercator.
People say that anal sex is unhealthy. Well it cured my hiccups.
pfstsht (4.00 / 3) (#41)
by fhotg on Tue Sep 09, 2003 at 09:32:04 AM EST

Mercator was Flemish, why wer you asking ?

The centre of a map can be chosen freely, regardless of the projection. Admittedly you wouldn't see much on a Mercator-projection centered on Antarctica though.
~~~
Gitarren für die Mädchen -- Champagner für die Jungs

Weltkarte aus europäischer Sicht (1.33 / 3) (#64)
by Miri West on Tue Sep 09, 2003 at 07:56:19 PM EST

Natürlich sehen die Europäer Europa im Zentrum (nicht England). Erstaunlich finde ich, dass die Karte schon sehr gut zu erkennen ist.

Needed update (3.00 / 4) (#30)
by godix on Tue Sep 09, 2003 at 03:51:55 AM EST

You might want to add something to prevent people from just clicking water 10 or 20 times. I just gave Australia a large lake in middle of it's desert, along with helping wipe Europe and North America of the map. You're welcome.

There are some options... (1.00 / 1) (#32)
by DOsinga on Tue Sep 09, 2003 at 04:08:07 AM EST

Since I register all clicks and there ip-number, I could filter ip-numbers if they disagree to much with other ip's, ie if you make something water, and 5 other people made it land and that happens more than two times, all your votes are lost. But I'd like to see how it works out without that.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sample my Google Hacks
doesn't that defeat the purpose? (3.00 / 2) (#45)
by Run4YourLives on Tue Sep 09, 2003 at 11:23:47 AM EST

It seems even your map has to live with crapflooding these days...

It's slightly Japanese, but without all of that fanatical devotion to the workplace. - CheeseburgerBrown
Flawed methodology (4.60 / 5) (#33)
by the trinidad kid on Tue Sep 09, 2003 at 04:16:08 AM EST

Once the core shape has been laid out (as now) all new entrants will accept the model as laid out - the America's to the left, Europe and Africa in the middle and Asia to the right. You cannot measure their individual mind maps by showing them the aggregate of everyone elses.

Not necessarily (4.25 / 4) (#34)
by DOsinga on Tue Sep 09, 2003 at 04:43:03 AM EST

If the filtering is done from the start, people from different top-level domain will see *their* map and edit that one. That will the different maps allow to evolve independently from each other. If that works, I might even start over and let the australians get on with an upside down map.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sample my Google Hacks
I agree (5.00 / 1) (#75)
by the trinidad kid on Wed Sep 10, 2003 at 10:12:55 AM EST

You can identify different patterns in mind maps depending on how you can partition your inputs...

Possible data skewage (2.00 / 3) (#39)
by Rasman on Tue Sep 09, 2003 at 07:33:16 AM EST

I imagine that I'm in a small minority, but my computer (and therefore IP) is not in the same country where I was educated and hold citizenship, so my subconscious Country Enlargement Pump might be working differently from that of my IP neighbors.

Bearing this in mind, however, I think that what you gain by the simplicity of your form is worth more than a possible data skewage from a minority like myself.

Brave. Daring. Fearless. Clippy - The Clothes Pin Stuntman
Technical Notes (1.50 / 2) (#40)
by bryaninnh on Tue Sep 09, 2003 at 08:49:30 AM EST

It's in an awfully small scale, some rather large islands cant possibly be represented on this scale. Although the size of my monitor may make me biased. Personally, at this scale, it's not at all interesting to me. Converting a correct as possible ( 2-d maps of the world are inherently skewed ) map of the world to blue and green pixels in the same scale as your map for comparison might be interesting.

small and big (3.00 / 4) (#42)
by fhotg on Tue Sep 09, 2003 at 09:40:42 AM EST

You are aware, that your results will likely answer the question "what world-map projection are you used to ?" For example now it looks like some Mercator -projection is taking on shape, although this is the most suckiest projection possible, when it comes to mapping large-small relations of continents or countries. It has its use in navigation but is otherwise a very poor choice. Yet, it was and in some places seems to still be very popular.

Now, do Americans underestimate Africa's size because they have a conformal world-map in their mind or because it's so far away and so insignificant ?
~~~
Gitarren für die Mädchen -- Champagner für die Jungs

I think the initial rectangle shape has an effect (3.50 / 2) (#46)
by TheophileEscargot on Tue Sep 09, 2003 at 01:36:33 PM EST

Would be interesting to see what would have happened if a square (or a circle) had been chosen.
----
Support the nascent Mad Open Science movement... when we talk about "hundreds of eyeballs," we really mean it. Lagged2Death
true that (4.00 / 2) (#59)
by fhotg on Tue Sep 09, 2003 at 05:08:49 PM EST

Actually, the inital shape to some degree fixes the projection. A rectangle asks for a cylindrical projection. But for some reason people don't seem to create Peter's projection :).

A circle means an azimuthal projection, usually centered at the north pole.

Square, hmm is there any projection ?
~~~
Gitarren für die Mädchen -- Champagner für die Jungs

-1 (2.33 / 3) (#49)
by dpkg on Tue Sep 09, 2003 at 01:59:59 PM EST

I was about to not read the article and click abstain, but then i noticed that the links are non-working.

this world rejects me
Uh. (2.66 / 3) (#53)
by awgsilyari on Tue Sep 09, 2003 at 03:49:51 PM EST

It's not working because we're Slashdo^H^H^H^H^H^H^H Kurroding it. Duh.

Stupidest... reason... to vote -1... EVAR.

--------
Please direct SPAM to john@neuralnw.com

duh (5.00 / 2) (#58)
by dpkg on Tue Sep 09, 2003 at 04:53:11 PM EST

Get better hosting before posting to a big site, no idea in having it in voting queue when you can't even check what it's all about

this world rejects me
Looks like you've been Kuro5hinned (3.16 / 6) (#50)
by randyk on Tue Sep 09, 2003 at 02:20:17 PM EST

And not even out of the voting queue. Time to upgrade to that shiny new 56k modem and the Pentium 166 with 32 megs of RAM, I suppose.

-1: server is kur0ded (n/t) (4.60 / 5) (#51)
by leviramsey on Tue Sep 09, 2003 at 02:49:03 PM EST

Ping time is about 700 milliseconds. (4.00 / 1) (#52)
by UserGoogol on Tue Sep 09, 2003 at 03:28:33 PM EST

According to my seat, which is one hop away from cisco-f0-1-0.bos.mindspring.net [207.69.227.1] (I'd rather not just give out my IP address quite yet.) Your mileage may vary, especially if you live in Korea or something.

ping != functioning web server (nt) (4.00 / 2) (#55)
by randyk on Tue Sep 09, 2003 at 04:07:24 PM EST

I'm fully aware of that. (3.50 / 2) (#62)
by UserGoogol on Tue Sep 09, 2003 at 06:51:22 PM EST

But that allowed you to see how bad the kuro5hin-attack was. At any rate, the server seems to have recovered. Ping time's down to 300, now.

Looky! My first 1 from a nullo! (4.50 / 2) (#56)
by randyk on Tue Sep 09, 2003 at 04:09:24 PM EST

I'm so proud.

I was going to write a script to draw a fractal (2.33 / 3) (#57)
by cbraga on Tue Sep 09, 2003 at 04:26:13 PM EST

But the site is so slow it's not even worth trying.

ESC[78;89;13p ESC[110;121;13p
Kuro5hined and such (2.33 / 3) (#60)
by DOsinga on Tue Sep 09, 2003 at 05:50:31 PM EST

Posters below are right that the site was having some real problems coping with the traffic. The code is done in Zope, which is a great web development platform but rather awful when it comes to parallel updating of data. I got rid of one of the bottlenecks though. By the way, it seems to me more a case of metafiltered than Kuro5hined (for now. Vote for the article and find out what will happen if it gets posted)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sample my Google Hacks
Reminds me of a test... (3.66 / 6) (#61)
by thefirelane on Tue Sep 09, 2003 at 06:05:47 PM EST

I would ask people:

"How far is it from New Jersey to Virginia?"

People from New England always seem to overestimate the distance.  I think it is just the mentality.  New Jersey is just some place close that you make fun of, and Virginia is "far away in the South"

Or, you can just wait for them to say "wicked"

---Lane
(from Vermont)

Prube.com: Like K5, but with less point.

Der Kern (1.30 / 10) (#63)
by Miri West on Tue Sep 09, 2003 at 07:47:51 PM EST

Im Kern ist die Wahrnehmung der Menschen gleich und dennoch differiert sie stark. Eine allgemeine Basis wird gefunden, synonym unseres Zusammenlebens, aber Einigkeit nie erzielt. Die Möglichkeiten sind faszinierend. Könnten andere Vorgaben, wie Freund und Feind, kalt und warm, lieb und böse oder weitere abstrakte Begriffe doch auch einer allgemeinen Betrachtung zugeführt werden. Gehirne könnten genormt werden, Abnormitäten entdeckt. Faszinierende Möglichkeiten, die besser nicht ausgewertet werden sollten oder doch?

Wenn ist das Nunstruck git und Slotermeyer? (3.33 / 3) (#65)
by cbraga on Tue Sep 09, 2003 at 08:27:47 PM EST

Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.

ESC[78;89;13p ESC[110;121;13p
0 und 1 (1.00 / 1) (#77)
by Miri West on Wed Sep 10, 2003 at 04:44:00 PM EST

Verstehen kann ich seine Sprache nicht, also gebe ich ihm "Null", okay, besser doch nur die "Eins".

Translation:
I don't understand his language, so ich vote with "zero", okay, I better give him "one".

And now, what I have to say:
"Zero" and "one" for a normal (maybe better) comment: only while not understanding. Tell me more about you.

-1, there is no red pixel (3.00 / 3) (#66)
by onallama on Tue Sep 09, 2003 at 10:30:29 PM EST

Interesting idea, but it doesn't work in either Konqueror or Mozilla.

works for me... (4.00 / 1) (#67)
by QuantumG on Tue Sep 09, 2003 at 10:35:57 PM EST

Mozilla 1.4. Perhaps you're colour blind. I am, and I had serious trouble seeing the pixel. Then when I got my face right up to the monitor I could see it.

Gun fire is the sound of freedom.
I'm not even getting a map, though. (3.00 / 1) (#69)
by onallama on Tue Sep 09, 2003 at 10:56:42 PM EST

But then, I still have 1.0 -- haven't bothered upgrading because I hardly ever use it, except for the occasional site that Konqueror chokes on. Oh well...

You should upgrade (none / 0) (#70)
by QuantumG on Tue Sep 09, 2003 at 11:36:00 PM EST

1.4 rocks man.

Gun fire is the sound of freedom.
Visible in Moz 1.4 (none / 0) (#76)
by Xiol on Wed Sep 10, 2003 at 11:13:53 AM EST

The red pixel is visible in Mozilla 1.4 on Linux.

Haven't tried Konq yet.
-- The Quote Machine

Quality American animation is not a dream! (2.50 / 4) (#71)
by Connect the Dots on Tue Sep 09, 2003 at 11:57:14 PM EST

I . draw . people . from . a map of the world .. The . people . tend . to . own . bigger and more . vulnerable . opinions . on . modern American . animation . that . could probably be fixed ..

<... Connect the Dots: Dedicated to making new, interesting stories out of boring ones. ...>

australia looks like a ship from space invaders nt (2.00 / 2) (#74)
by the77x42 on Wed Sep 10, 2003 at 03:31:09 AM EST

"We're not here to educate. We're here to point and laugh." - creature
"You have some pretty stupid ideas." - indubitable ‮

How long... (none / 0) (#86)
by NoMoreNicksLeft on Thu Sep 11, 2003 at 01:42:29 AM EST

Til someone writes a script to redraw his map as a picture of goatse.cx man?

Do not look directly into laser with remaining good eye.
Collective intellect (none / 0) (#87)
by hjalli on Thu Sep 11, 2003 at 06:59:07 AM EST

Projects like these have always interested me. I mention a few in this blog entry on Wetware.

Mind World Map is one of the more curious ones because of the questions it begs. Will the western world be drawn bigger as majority of visitors are probably western? Will sparsely populated areas be left out (note the absence of Greenland)? Where will it be centered, and the comparison of votes from different geographical regions will be very interesting to see.

More generally, projects like these raise questions about the quality of decisions reached with a majority vote and what that means for democracy.

Hjalmar Gislason www.hjalli.com
Colourblindness red AND green (none / 0) (#88)
by k2r on Fri Sep 12, 2003 at 10:36:11 AM EST

There's only ono stupid mistake in your interesting experiment: A significant percentage of the male population of some countries can not tell the difference between red and green
( http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorblindness ), so you will have a
"world map of the mind" drawn by only a part of the people interested in your experiment.

Maybe use red / blue / white instead.

k2r

Yes, but not really (none / 0) (#89)
by epepke on Fri Sep 12, 2003 at 02:22:47 PM EST

The green pixel has higher luminosity than the red pixel. Even color-blind individuals are used to this.

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.--Terry Pratchett

The map's center (none / 0) (#90)
by skim123 on Sun Sep 14, 2003 at 01:22:28 AM EST

I think it makes sense to have the center of the map be the intersection of the equator and the prime meridean. Granted, the prime meridean is arbitrarily chosen to run through Grenich, but such has been decided, so why center a map elsewhere?

PT Barnum

A World Map of the Mind | 90 comments (71 topical, 19 editorial, 0 hidden)