Geek flicks

By sugarman in Media
Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 03:23:37 PM EST
Tags: Movies (all tags)
Movies

Alright, after a week of seemingly nothing but discussion on politics and the merits therof, its time for a lazy Friday afternoon poll. We've done the "best books" recently, and we did the "meet n'greet" last week, so howabout a "favorite geek flicks" discussion so I can hit the video store and hibernate this long weekend.

I mean, I know we all have our personal favorites as to what constitues a geek flick. I recall thinking about this last year when a certain individual (we'll call him JK to respect his anonymity) on the other site was comparing the Matrix to SW:TPM as the "definitive geek flick" I felt the bile rise in my throat, as every true geek knows that the definitive geek flick is "Monty Python and the Holy Grail".

Anyone care to differ?

Favorite Movie snack food?
o Cheetos 9%
o Doritos 22%
o Tostitos 9%
o Fritos 5%
o Inoshiros 54%

o the other site
o Also by sugarman

Geek flicks | 100 comments (98 topical, 2 editorial, 0 hidden)
The Matrix, deffinitely the Matrix (3.16 / 6) (#1)
by driftingwalrus on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 02:20:40 PM EST

I think the Matrix has to rate near the top of any geek's list - right up there with:

The Game (Unfortunately, only worth watching once)
X-Men
ST:FC

"I drank WHAT?!" -- Socrates
Matrix Sucks (2.60 / 5) (#9)
by the Epopt on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 02:25:28 PM EST

Matrix sucks snail snot. I went to the theater expecting a shot of fine single-malt whisky and got lukewarm curdled skim milk. Try reading any Philip K. Dick for the real thing.

Most people who need to be shot need to be shot soon and a lot.
Very few people need to be shot later or just a little.

K5_Arguing_HOWTO
Philip Kindred Dick (3.00 / 2) (#15)
by acestus on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 02:31:05 PM EST

I won't touch on my opinions of The Matrix, but I think you should be careful about how high a pedestal you put Dick on. I've read about 85% of his work and, while I generally really enjoy it, he has written some terrible, terrible things. I suggest you find a copy of <U>The Ganymede Takeover</U>, for example. It may be the worst sci-fi book I've ever read.

Of course, <U>We Can Build You</U> may be the best, so...

Acestus
This is not an exit.
Oops. Mea Culpa. (3.66 / 3) (#17)
by acestus on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 02:33:16 PM EST

I can't believe I neglected to proof that. Why isn't underlining allowed? Oh well...

Acestus
This is not an exit.
OT: No underlining (4.42 / 7) (#24)
by fluffy grue on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 03:05:02 PM EST

Probably because underlining is bad style to do anyway. You're supposed to italicize on computers (underlining is a bad hack left over from the typewriter days).

"But Fluffy," you might say, "what about book titles?"

"It's 'fluffy,' not 'Fluffy,'" I'd respond, "and you italicize those."

"But in high school--"

"But nothing. Your high school teachers are decrepid fossils following the decrepid MLA standards which were written pre-computers."

"But don't you italicize short stories and song titles?"

"No, you put those in quotes. For example, it's 'A Hard Day's Night,' by The Beatles. However, the movie is spelled A Hard Day's Night."

"But what about differentiating between titles and emphasis?"

"Read the HTML source for the above. I used <em> for the emphasis, and <i> for the title. Supposedly your browser is supposed to care about the difference, but most are just half-assed and treat them as the same tag. Sorry."

"So how do I underline?"

"You don't. Again, it's a bad throwback to when we used typewriters. You don't use 'l's for 1s anymore, right? So why simulate a backspace-underscore-per-letter as a simulated emphasis?"

"Well, why do we still boldface then?"

"It's easy to differentiate between boldfaced and non-boldfaced text, just as it's easy to differentiate between italicized and non-italicized. But differentiating between underlined and non-underlined is a different matter."

"So who died and made you God? Where did you come up with this nonsense?"

"Various TeX-related documents, most notably the LyX manual."

"But TeX supports underlining!"

"Yeah, but it's an ad-hoc addition to try to satisfy people who refuse to drop the ancient MLA standards."

"You're stupid."

"And you're ugly, but I can always learn new things."

And so it goes... :)
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

LOL! (4.60 / 5) (#57)
by vsync on Sat Nov 11, 2000 at 12:15:43 AM EST

I love this! However:

"decrepit".

And it's nice to see someone else who understands this. Having gone through the educationally useless heap of garbage that is "AP English", let me just say that the MLA is nothing but an organization of moneygrubbing liars out to make money by selling "standards" documents at high prices to gullible schoolchildren.

Really? According to the HTML spec, EM is a phrase element, while I is a style element. They're in entirely separate categories. (As an interesting side-note, it appears that U has been deprecated, as is entirely proper.)

Really, though, none of the style elements should ever have been alllowed, because they allow idiots to do things like forcing their links to match the text in color when I have underlining turned off. Personally, I use EM for emphasis and STRONG for stronger emphasis, as specified. I use EM for titles, too, because it seems like the only real solution, although I may start doing <EM CLASS="title"> or something. (It looks like there's a CITE element... Has that always been there? Is it useful?)

"The problem I had with the story, before I even finished reading, was the copious attribution of thoughts and ideas to vsync. What made it worse was the ones attributed to him were the only ones that made any sense whatsoever."
Yeah (4.00 / 1) (#65)
by fluffy grue on Sat Nov 11, 2000 at 03:43:46 PM EST

I was oversimplifying on the difference between EM and I - namely that EM is a functional tag whereas I is a visual tag. And yeah, strictly-speaking, I agree with you - visual tags have no place in sensory-agnostic places such as HTML. I didn't really think that EM could take attributes, though. :) (By 'emphasis' I always thought they meant 'vocal' emphasis, like when saying "really, really stupid.")

And yeah, I really hate the visual-oriented tags. They totally ruin the user-specified flexibility of HTML, and it's because of things like that why there's a reason to make things "WAP-accessible" and "blind-accessible" and whatnot.

Stylesheets I'm fine with. They're a visual specification which goes ON TOP OF the functional specification of a webpage. It'd be nice if certain webbrowsers (*cough*Netscape*cough*) did them right, but a really nice thing about stylesheets - used correctly, of course - is that they fit in with the whole graceful-degradation concept of HTML, and that supposedly one page can have different stylesheet definitions for different purposes (such as WAP, and colorblind, and the like), and without any stylesheets active, it'd look like plain old non-fancy HTML. Unfortuantely, too many people use stylesheets as a mechanism for doing anal-retentive pixel-exact placement of page elements and completely ignore their real purpose, and then continue to use FONT et al tags for their other stuff, so if I have stylesheets turned off (like I always do), the page ends up just being broken instead. :P
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

we are in violent agreement! (5.00 / 1) (#70)
by vsync on Sat Nov 11, 2000 at 05:22:43 PM EST

I didn't really think that EM could take attributes, though.

Heh, pretty much everything takes ID and CLASS, which is a Good Thing, because allows that degrading thing we love so much. (Which, incidentally, is why I refuse to switch over to XHTML.)

Take a look at quadium.net and tell me what you think of the HTML/CSS balance there. I'm pretty pleased with it myself, actually.

Ooh! (4.00 / 1) (#85)
by fluffy grue on Sun Nov 12, 2000 at 06:50:39 PM EST

Now THAT is graceful degradation. Without stylesheets it looks like any ordinary webpage (without looking broken), and with stylesheets it's stylesheet-enhanced in a working way!

I love you!
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Thank you (4.00 / 1) (#79)
by rusty on Sun Nov 12, 2000 at 06:02:18 AM EST

Thank you for explaining that better than I ever could have. Yes, underlining isn't allowed because the difference between underlining alone and the underline that comes with links is small, and it irritates the hell out of me to have things that look like links, but aren't. And the MLA can bite me. :-)

Who's with me in starting the PMLA (Post-modern Language Association)? It's time to have some style guides that match the reality of changing media.

____
Not the real rusty

ooh! (none / 0) (#88)
by vsync on Sun Nov 12, 2000 at 11:30:25 PM EST

Hey rusty, while you're here, would you mind taking a look at my comment in this thread? Note that I sprinkled CODE tags throughout there, but K5's use of FONT tags kinda ruins that, at least in Netscape.

I advocate the use of CSS.

If an author produces 99% garbage... (3.00 / 1) (#28)
by SIGFPE on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 03:20:57 PM EST

...only judge them by the good 1% because you're not forced to buy the other 99%.

I'm inclined to agree with the previous poster though - I thought of Phil K Dick through much of the movie and was wondering if maybe he's been forgotten by the youth of today. Matrix was pretty tame in terms of science fiction ideas. And I'm biased towards it too as I'm credited on it...

Back on topic...I received my new PS2 the other day - it's also my first DVD player. The first movie I bought (and being first it was the most special to me) was Twelve Monkeys.
SIGFPE
PKD and modern movies (none / 0) (#62)
by acestus on Sat Nov 11, 2000 at 10:39:58 AM EST

Well, for what it's worth, the awful eXistenZ included a few PKD references, including a fast-food bag that said: Perky Pat's. (A reference to In the Days of Perky Pat et al.)

Acestus
This is not an exit.
Your choices (2.00 / 1) (#13)
by Michael Leuchtenburg on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 02:28:23 PM EST

I don't like the Matrix all that much. Fun to watch a couple times, but it's not even on my top 10 list.

I've never seen The Game, so I can't comment.

X-Men? Um... sure. I've heard such bad things about it, except with regard to slash. It's pretty slashable.

ST:FC. Now this one I really take issue with. That movie sucked. It's really bad. If I had the choice between watching that movie and watching, say, Teletubbies, I'd go with Teletubbies (hey, at least I'd be able to write the the creators about how it rots kids minds).

[ #k5: dyfrgi ]
[ TINK5C ]

Slashable? (2.00 / 1) (#35)
by Spendocrat on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 03:52:51 PM EST

As in the writing style?

OT: Slash (none / 0) (#43)
by Michael Leuchtenburg on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 04:55:09 PM EST

Slashable, as in, capable of being slashed. Easily slashable, as in, easily slashed.

Slash is fanfic. Specifically, it's fanfic in which the writer takes two male characters and puts them into sex scenes. Well, okay, romantic relationships, if you prefer. Both, most often. Oh, and it doesn't neccessarily have to be males, but it pretty much always is. It does have to involve M/M or F/F pairings, though.

My favorite slash is Sith Academy, which chronicles, most often, the relationship between Maul and Obi-Wan. Yeah, it's far-fetched, but it's fun. =) Bet you never knew that about Maul's horns...

[ #k5: dyfrgi ]
[ TINK5C ]

That's cool. (none / 0) (#75)
by Spendocrat on Sat Nov 11, 2000 at 07:56:12 PM EST

I know about slash, I just wanted to make sure that's what you were actually talking about :D

Enjoying the game (3.00 / 4) (#16)
by Denor on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 02:32:42 PM EST

I loved "The Game" the first time I saw it. You're right, however, when you say it loses quite a bit of its replay value the next time around.

Unless you're with someone who hasn't seen it yet, of course.

I've done this no less than three times with various sets of friends. The movie is very enjoyable to watch, even if you know the ending, as long as there's someone there who doesn't. Just watching them is entertaining enough :)

Also, if you get the chance, watch "The Usual Suspects". I have no idea why I didn't hear about it when it came out (first saw it on cable), but it's very much in the same spirit as The Game.

-Denor

The Spanish Prisoner (none / 0) (#89)
by tmalone on Mon Nov 13, 2000 at 03:45:30 AM EST

The Spanish Prisoner is a great movie if you liked The Game or The Usual Suspects. Its a bit less well known so it might be a little harder to find, but most places seem to have it. Damn fine film that doesn't ruin itself by focusing on unimportant stuff. You'll see what I mean. Tim

Movie List (3.00 / 6) (#3)
by Strider on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 02:21:08 PM EST

My list of movies I would like to rent sometime soon is:

1. The Princess Bride
2. Army of Darkness
3. Tron
4. Office Space
5. Mystery Men
"it's like having gravity suddenly replaced by cheez-whiz" - rusty
#5, no way. (2.50 / 2) (#11)
by Dr Caleb on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 02:27:16 PM EST

That movie blew dead goats. Worst film I've seen since "2024: A boy and his Dog" (Don Johnson).

I mean really, "See you real...Spoon!

But Office Space was good! I went around the office muttering "Well, I guess I'll just burn the place down..." for days! ;-)

Vive Le Canada - For Canadians who give a shit about their country.

There is no K5 cabal.

You probably know this one already... (2.80 / 5) (#4)
by Denor on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 02:21:15 PM EST

Blade Runner

The fine citizens of K5 have probably already seen this movie, but it wasn't until recently that I had the chance. Anyone who hasn't - by all means, pick it up. It's slightly older and if you get it from a rinky-dink rental place like mine you're likely to have problems with the tracking, but it's definitely an enjoyable (and thought-provoking!) flick.

Also, and this is vaguely OT: There's a new Arnold movie coming out that seemed to have somewhat "Total Recall"-like overtones to it. If anyone's seen more of it than I have (i.e., trailers) then I'd like to hear if it lives up to the promise.

-Denor

Can't take it anymore (none / 0) (#40)
by sugarman on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 04:35:58 PM EST

Alright guys, I have a confession to make: I can't watch this movie anymore.

I've tried, starting back with the Director's cut VHS release, but I haven't been able to sit through the movie. I mena, I love the characters, the actors, the story, the cinematography, everything...except,

...I can't take the damn music anymore. Between Ford's rather monotone film noir detective narration, and / or Zamfir's frickin' music, I can't stay awake for more than 15 minutes of this flick. And it isn't just the opening: any given 15 minutes will do. I'll start watching and be out like a light.

Ah well, at least the DVD has served me well. No longer do I need to open up a CompSci text to nap when I'm insomniac. Just pop this into the DVD and dive into the waiting embrace of a sound slumber. <p
--sugarman--

Slow Pace (none / 0) (#54)
by joeyo on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 10:49:13 PM EST

(I saw Blade Runner just last week, so its freah in my mind! :)

I agree the movie has a bit of a slow pace to it, and the jazz-ish music they play doesn't help too much. But you know, it is a film noir...

I go back and forth between prefering the directors cut and the theatrical release version. One one hand, the little bits of extra footage (dream sequence) and especially the removal of the last scene (what were they thinking?), make it a better film. But the removal of the voice overs (admittedly, cheezy voice overs) took away from the detective story feel. But then again, the removal of the v.o. makes the movie much more visual!

Yeah I really like the movie :)

Slightly tangentally, I've noticed that A LOT of older sci fi movies, which were fast paced and exciting in their time, seem pretty slow and sedate now-a-days. Starwars springs to mind... What think you?

attention spans (none / 0) (#59)
by ZanThrax on Sat Nov 11, 2000 at 12:35:54 AM EST

really are getting shorter. We're a generation of adrenaline junkie twitch freaks with the attention span of gnats when it comes to entertainment. To be considered fast moving any more, it has to approach sensory-overload.

Before flying off the handle over the suggestion that your a cocksucker, be sure that you do not, in fact, have a cock in your mouth.

Yes. (none / 0) (#80)
by rusty on Sun Nov 12, 2000 at 06:06:51 AM EST

;-)

____
Not the real rusty
"Next time Jack, send a damn memo..." (3.00 / 6) (#5)
by Dr Caleb on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 02:22:54 PM EST

The Hunt for Red October.

If there is anyone out there who hasn't seen it; It's about a CIA analyst (read: desk jockey) who stumbles upon perhaps the biggest technological advancement in Marine warfare ever. He ends up chasing this submarine all over the north Atlantic, and ends up bringing the big fish home as a trophy.

It's everything a geek could want. Next to sitting in his cubicle and suddenly being surrounded by Ninjas. But the book was much better.

I musta worn out my VHS copy of this movie. Luckily I bought a DVD recently...

Vive Le Canada - For Canadians who give a shit about their country.

There is no K5 cabal.

Not "Holy Grail" But "Meaning of Li (3.40 / 5) (#6)
by Mr. Penguin on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 02:23:47 PM EST

I'm going to have to disagree with you there, bub© Monty Python's The Meaning of Life has to be the best geek flick around, knocking Holy Grail down to second© Don't get me wrong, though, because I really love Holy Grail „I watch the DVD at least once a week¤, but Meaning of Life is much better©

• I see you have the machine that goes "Ping!"
  • Do all philosopher's names have an "S" in them?
  • You didn't use canned salmon, did you dear?

Weird Characters (2.00 / 2) (#12)
by acestus on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 02:27:48 PM EST

Are you using a strange client to post? I see some weird characters (yen symbol, copyright symbol, etc) stuck here and there in your text.

Acestus
This is not an exit.
Not strange, but... (none / 0) (#94)
by Mr. Penguin on Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 12:17:32 AM EST

I was trying out the leaked release of Netscape 6. I didn't even notice those characters in the preview (in fact, after hearing about the Mozilla problems, I was looking for them), and could have sworn they weren't there. I'm back to good old Netscape 4.74 now, so you shouldn't see such characters any more.

Acestus at the Movies (3.50 / 8) (#7)
by acestus on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 02:25:13 PM EST

OK, here are some of my favorite movies. I leave their geekiness up to you:
  • 12 Monkeys
  • Akira
  • Alien, Aliens,Alien^3
  • Blade Runner
  • Brazil
  • Breakfast Club, The
  • Exorcist, The
  • Falling Down
  • Godfather I, II
  • Last Temptation of Christ
  • Magnolia
  • Night of the Living Dead Trilogy (Night, Dawn, Day)
  • Pi
  • Robocop
  • Stepford Wives, The
  • Stop Making Sense

Acestus
This is not an exit.
It's all about Chris Knight (3.60 / 10) (#8)
by tympanic on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 02:25:26 PM EST

Real Genius

"I've noticed success tends to mean making sure people's expectations are low and then exceeding them" -David Simpson

Popcorn calculation? (3.00 / 2) (#25)
by Narcischizm on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 03:14:07 PM EST

I lost my notes somewhere deep in the bowels of the science building, but did you ever try to figure out the volume of unpopped popcorn needed to fill the house?

I'll now crawl back into my cubicle with my trusty slide rule.

Let's see ... (3.83 / 6) (#10)
by Bad Mojo on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 02:26:03 PM EST

The Matrix - While not an amazingly deep or complex movie, it puts to screen what we all know is true. HaX0r's are awesome action hero's! ;)

Clerks - Let's face it, there's not much difference between working at a convenience store and a low level tech job. Right?

Sneakers - Dream job! And some ethics to boot.

Hackers - Billed as an action movie, this is a great comedy.

Dogma - How to hack the Catholic Church.

Time Bandits - How to hack reality and fight Evil.

Brazil - Depressing ... yet true. :(

I can think of more given more time. But those are some great movies I enjoy.

-Bad Mojo
"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure pure reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!"
B. Watterson's Calvin - "Calvin & Hobbes"

Some cheesy geek flicks. (3.20 / 5) (#14)
by EchoFive on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 02:28:52 PM EST

Hackers is of course a really cheesy one. "Whoa, triple Pentium speed!", or what it was they said in the movie. :)

I recently saw Operation Takedown as well. It didn't suck too much, but I probably wouldn't pay to see it. It's a more or less realistic movie about the story of Kevin Mitnick and how he was caught. It's not 100% synchronized with reality, but still pretty good.

I've never been much for Star Trek movies, but Star Trek: First Contact is darn good. And the Borg are my favourite bad guys, all categories. You just have to love bad guys with a laser pointer duct taped to their forehead. :)

Hmm. Let's see. Cube, my most recent DVD purchase. Really weird science fiction about six people who wake up inside a cube, without remembering how they got there. Each side of the cube has a hatch that leads to another similar cube. Some cubes contain deadly traps... I really like the monofilament grid trap in the intro of the movie. Ouch. Can you say "cheese slicer"?

I am Swede. Hear me bork! (Not.)
Operation Takedown (none / 0) (#46)
by Delirium on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 05:24:37 PM EST

From what I've read, the synchronization with reality is significantly less than 100%. IIRC, Mitnick is suing for libel because of the excessively negative picture it paints of him (using factually incorrect scenes like the one in which he hits someone over the head with a garbage can lid).

Cube (none / 0) (#56)
by whatnotever on Sat Nov 11, 2000 at 12:11:07 AM EST

Huh. I just saw that on the Sci-Fi channel. I got in right after the beginning, and had no clue what it was the whole time.

I really liked how they made an interesting movie out of a single set (the inside of a cube, just different colored lights each time) and a few people. Talk about low budget, eh?

I must say I *didn't* like the fact that ... oh, that would be a spoiler. Sorry... Really, I am.

It was an interesting movie, though. Definitely.

War Games (2.50 / 4) (#18)
by Tim Locke on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 02:47:37 PM EST

I enjoyed it when it came out. Watched it again just a few months ago with a living room full of geeks.
--- On the Internet, no one knows you're using a VIC-20.
A Crappy of Options (1.25 / 4) (#19)
by zantispam on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 02:50:42 PM EST

Where's `Popcorn'?
Where's `Twizzlers'?

Normally, I'm not one to complain about poll options, but...

I voted Inshoritos in protest.

:-)

Free Duxup!
Sour Patch Kids! (2.66 / 3) (#33)
by fluffy grue on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 03:32:42 PM EST

Mmm, I love Sour Patch Kids for watching movies. My teeth hurt badly afterwards, but it's worth it. (I'm salivating just thinking about 'em. :)

My main issue with the poll, however, is that most of the things listed are loaded with MSG. MSG gives me migraines in the quantities they're used in American foods. :/ That whole instant-gratification thing strikes again (MSG in such quantities causes an overloading in the pleasure centers of the brain - and for those of us who are migraine-prone, that, in turn, causes a migraine).

Traditional food from cultures with soy sauce (Chinese, Japanese, etc.) has little to no MSG in it - it's used as a very subtle flavor enhancer. Nobody else even has MSG (it's a byproduct of the brewing of soy sauce), except in America, thanks to this wonderful cultural melting pot mixed with instant-gratification. "Oh, is that French onion soup too bland? Lemme just load it up with MSG." "Hey, how are your enchiladas? Oh, not spicy enough? Here, try our special MSG sauce." I have to spend a considerable amount of time in the grocery store making sure I'm not buying anything with MSG in it, and it's hard - everything from fish sticks to soup to chicken breasts is often infused with the stuff.

And then when people protest MSG, the FDA (controlled by the junk-food interests) will conduct a crappy "study" which "proves" that it's just psychosomatic. They'll have a double-blind study with random people (most of whom have never experienced a migraine in their lives) where they'll feed them two sorts of soup, one with MSG and one without, and ask if they get a migraine. Then they also put out all sorts of anti-"MSG-whiner" propaganda pointing out that bell peppers have small amounts of unbound glutamate in them (for starters, just because unbound and sodium-bound glutamate follow the same metabolic path doesn't mean they'll have the same effects, and secondly, bell peppers aren't exactly SATURATED with the stuff) trying to make those of us who complain about MSG look like idiots.

Listen, if MSG weren't causing these problems, then I'd personally have never figured out it was MSG causing these problems by noticing a correlation between my migraines and my having had a bag of Doritos half an hour previously!

So I can't ever get any chinese food around here, because all the places here SUCK so bad that they have to cover up their shitty cooking with piles and piles of MSG. "Do you use MSG here?" "Yes, sorry. But you could order it without MSG." "Okay, I'd like chicken lo mein without MSG." "Sorry, it's in the sauce." "Um. Okay. Do you have anything which doesn't have MSG in the sauce?" "The sweet and sour chicken. But the sweet and sour sauce has MSG in it." The only place in town I've found which doesn't use MSG is an extra-nasty all-you-can-eat buffet-style place which thinks that green chile eggrolls are authentic Chinese cuisine. (Seriously!)

The two Japanese restaurants in town grok it, at least. They use MSG, but VERY sparingly, as per traditional recipes. (You know, maybe a pinch for the entire pot of rice.) Though I take issue with the fact they have green chile sushi. I think it's some law that in Las Cruces, everything must be bastardized with green chile. Soaked in MSG.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

speaking of which.... (none / 0) (#63)
by titus-g on Sat Nov 11, 2000 at 11:03:18 AM EST

Tampopo - not a geek movie (food geek?) but extremely good and almost entirely MSG free :)

--"Essentially madness is like charity, it begins at home" --

Cute. :) (none / 0) (#66)
by fluffy grue on Sat Nov 11, 2000 at 03:45:31 PM EST

An R-rated movie about the search for the perfect ramen recipe. Now THAT is a perfect response to my poll-inspired MSG rant... :)
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

MSG (none / 0) (#91)
by zantispam on Mon Nov 13, 2000 at 08:31:57 AM EST

fluffy grue wrote: (MSG in such quantities causes an overloading in the pleasure centers of the brain - and for those of us who are migraine-prone, that, in turn, causes a migraine)

Sex must suck :-0 (sorry)

So I can't ever get any chinese food around here...

I know what you mean. Even though I'm not allergic to MSG, I do try to avoid it wherever possible. Heck, even the Whole Foods' around here use it! I've always thought that maybe someone should start a total health food/hardware store. Y'know, go get your Kung Po chicken and a new GeForce all at the same place :-)

(posting again Monday, because Scoop ate my comment Friday before I left work)

Free Duxup!
Different thing (none / 0) (#93)
by fluffy grue on Mon Nov 13, 2000 at 01:05:14 PM EST

Re sex: An MSG overdose (i.e. what you find in a typical bag of Doritos) causes a chemical overloading, not a natural one. It's like the difference between being on MDMA and being on St. John's Wort - SJW only inhibits seratonin from being reabsorbed (keeping the free seratonin levels high), whereas MDMA causes all the synapses to actively DUMP their seratonin.

And I'd rather keep shops specialized. Hell, in America we don't have enough specialization, whereas when I was in Hong Kong for a couple weeks I was amazed at how incredibly specialized everything was. Lean, mean and efficient, while still offering a huge selection (and even better than you'd get in America, in fact, since if there's some funky item you want, chances are SOMEONE would specialize in such things - like the place I found which specialized in DIY hardware hacking. I got a PIC programmer there.)
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

How about nothing? (none / 0) (#37)
by loner on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 04:00:08 PM EST

I rarely eat while watching movies, I would've picked "nothing" if it was present. I know in places like Holland and Portugal people don't eat anything in the movie theater, but they do have an intermission to grab an espresso and a smoke (at least that's what they did 6-7 years back). And in some middle-eastern cultures, people like to snack on roasted sunflower seeds during the movie.

Now in England, they have salted popcorn and sweet popcorn. How do I know this? When I ordered popcorn the girl asked me if I wanted "salted or sweet?" So I said "salted," then I ordered a "medium coke, sweet"... She was not impressed ;)

The short list (3.25 / 4) (#21)
by Ummon on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 02:55:29 PM EST

THX-1138: I have to watch this movie at least once a year despite the fact that my girlfriend never gets it. George Lucas first film, its fun to watch out for all the things George has put in every subsequent film. There's a great scene while the main character (Robert Duvall) is being adjusted where two techs talk in the background about the systems being used to do the adjustment. Double plus good stuff.

A Clockwork Orange: Ultraviolence and intoxicating milk beverages. Enough said.

Anything directed by Terry Gilliam: Especially the whole pseudo-trilogy (Time Bandits, Brazil and The Adventures of Baron Munchausen).

Do the three form a trilogy? They certainly seem to: The Battle of Brazil explains that Gilliam's trilogy is about the ages of man, and the subordination of magic to realism. TIME BANDITS was part one, about the fantasist as a child. BRAZIL was part two, the fantasist as a young man, and BARON MUNCHAUSEN closes the series with its story about an old man who, through the innocence and open mindedness of a small girl, regains his belief in magic. Both TIME BANDITS and BRAZIL have bleak endings, but BARON MUNCHAUSEN shows the final triumph of this sort of magic through fantasy, as Munchausen circumvents the reality of his death in his own tall tales, achieving immortality through his storytelling.
They're really fun to watch with this idea in mind.

Time Bandits (none / 0) (#78)
by rusty on Sun Nov 12, 2000 at 05:57:17 AM EST

While Gilliam is one of my top three favorite directors ever, I thought Time Bandits sucked. I saw it after several of his others, and I was *really* disappointed. I mean, it's about a bunch of midget wearing lots of rubber crap. Maybe I just didn't get it... :-)

____
Not the real rusty
No one has mentioned Pi (3.62 / 8) (#22)
by 11oh8 on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 02:58:11 PM EST

I didn't notice anyone mention PI. It's a great indie flick about a mathematician who is on the verge of finding order in the chaotic nature of the stock market; add to that strange group of mathematicians trying to unlock the secrets of the Torah (Kaballah, an old judaic belief, states that there is mathematical order/login hidden inside the torah). It's a great movie even if you're not a math geek.

The movie is in B&W and has a shaky/frenetic feel to it...The camera is often angled strangely or moving a little too fast and jerkily (sp?). And the soundtrack is really sweet (if you're into electronic music)

BTW, don't let me horrible description prevent you from watching this really geeky movie... pithemovie.com is the official website.. .go check it out...

11oh8

I've seen that movie 3.141592 times! (4.00 / 6) (#23)
by squigly on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 03:04:03 PM EST

Its a good film. You need to be in the right mood for it though. I'm not quite sure what that mood is.

I'd just stick with a good classic movie for a Friday night thing. Go for an oldie. The Wicker man is good. Forbidden Planet, The Day the Earth Stood Still. This Island Earth. OR just something silly - Flash Gorden or Barbarella.

People who sig other people have nothing intelligent to say for themselves - anonimouse
no sir, no boy around here by that name (3.00 / 1) (#55)
by Holloway on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 11:31:48 PM EST

I'll second 'The Wicker Man'.

== Human's wear pants, if they don't wear pants they stand out in a crowd. But if a monkey didn't wear pants it would be anonymous

Pi == good (3.25 / 4) (#26)
by ramses0 on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 03:14:40 PM EST

And strange no one has mentioned <u>Office Space</u>.... (i read your comment fluffy, but I'm <u>'ing in protest) ;^)=

--Robert
[ rate all comments , for great justice | sell.com ]

I have to disagree... (1.66 / 3) (#52)
by trhurler on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 09:49:36 PM EST

The movie featured some "cutting edge camerawork, which amounted to shaking the camera a lot and then using editing to make cuts from one angle to another frequently - it was the only supposedly redeeming feature of the whole movie, and it was annoying!

Look at what you actually saw before you respond or get pissed: A math geek discovers the name of God while trying to hack the stock market. He gets chased around by some people who give him a processor that he uses to continue his work, but his computer melts - I guess that code was just too wicked for his machine. Meanwhile, a bunch of Jewish mystics abduct him, and he, supposedly a math geek, actually says "You've tried every possible 216 digit number, right?!"

This movie made Hackers look authentic. It was anti-reason, anti-plot, anti-character-development, and in general was just some wannabe "artistic" black-suit-wearing latte swilling goatee having testosterone-challenged twink's mental masturbation turned into film. Everyone said it was great, so everyone kept saying it was great. It wasn't. The emperor is naked. The movie blows. It has no redeeming features whatsoever. It isn't even about pi.

'God dammit, your posts make me hard.' --LilDebbie

Favorite Movies of a Semi-Geek; Geek Music? (3.00 / 2) (#27)
by YesNoCancel on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 03:15:32 PM EST

I don't consider myself a real geek (although my colleagues and friends probably view me as one), so my favorite movies may not have a high "geekiness" factor. Anyway, here they are, in no particular order:

• Wayne's World 1+2
  • Natural Born Killers
  • Loaded Weapon
  • Naked Gun 1, 2 1/2 and 33 1/3
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey
  • Monty Python's Life of Brian
  • Martial Arts movies (Jackie Chan / Jet Li)
  • Ghost in the Shell
  • some other Anime movies

By the way, is there something like "geek music"? Do geeks in general favor certain music styles (like techno)? Do they even care about music at all? Most "computer geeks" I met seemed to be techno fans, but on the other hand, living in the province, I haven't met many geeks at all.

And before I forget to mention it, the only music I like is heavy metal (Black Sabbath, Children of Bodom, Nightwish, Rhapsody; mostly European bands) and sometimes classical music. :)

awwww (2.00 / 1) (#30)
by sH on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 03:24:30 PM EST

I think you have a high level of geekness in both your movie choices and your music :)

Yes... (2.00 / 1) (#34)
by YesNoCancel on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 03:36:40 PM EST

...but I still can't be a true geek because I don't use Linux! ;)

At least that's what the guys from the other site would say (I guess).

Anyway, I don't view myself as a geek, or a nerd, or whatever. I don't like to stereotype myself. :)

Later days (4.00 / 1) (#41)
by sugarman on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 04:38:34 PM EST

Do geeks in general favor certain music styles (like techno)?

I'm not sure, but why don't we save that one for next Friday. Gotta space out the pop-culture chit-chat a bit, dontcha know.

--sugarman--

Geek music? (1.00 / 1) (#47)
by CubeDweller on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 06:13:53 PM EST

I'm a geek to the core, and I can't listen to techno without ripping my hair out. I gotta have big-band jazz all the way. Buddy Rich and Glenn Miller are the best for high-speed, high-intensity jazz. Stan Getz and Chet Baker aren't bad either, but their style is much more of a quiet intensity. I'm only 25, I lived on Techno in high-school and probably listened to "Pump up the Volume" a thousand times, but my tastes changed quite a bit.

The object-oriented programmers out there might like to try some Thelonious Monk. If there was ever a musician that could have been a great programmer, it was him. As a rule I don't like jazz piano, but there's just something about his stuff.

The man's music was completely modular. Melody, harmony, and rhythm were all completely replaceable plug-in components. On his Monk Alone disk set he's got several songs repeated 2 or 3 times. Some sound like completely new songs because he'll have the melody reversed, and switched out the rhythm for one from some old Louis Armstrong song or something.

It's not for everybody, but I sure got hooked.

Seth

What do you mean vote? I've done nothing but vote all year--for my favorite song, for most exciting NFL touchdown, for whether the rabbit gets his Trix. I'm freakin' exhausted. - The Onion

Repo Man (3.33 / 3) (#29)
by greyrat on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 03:22:12 PM EST

...as well as many others listed here.

Oh! and don't forget A Night On Planet Earth (I think that's the right title) and Truly, Madly, Deeply (even though it's a chick flick).
~ ~ ~
Did I actually read the article? No. No I didn't.
"Watch out for me nobbystyles, Gromit!"

Oh and I forgot! (2.00 / 1) (#32)
by greyrat on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 03:27:47 PM EST

• The Italian Job and
  • My Name Is Nobody
    ~ ~ ~
    Did I actually read the article? No. No I didn't.
    "Watch out for me nobbystyles, Gromit!"

• a subject (3.00 / 1) (#31)
    by jabber on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 03:25:51 PM EST

Matrix - for the effects, hint of philosophy and the decent plot structure. Ooh, and the tight leather on Trinity.
    Total Recall - purely for the mindfuck that comes with the potential of false memory.
    Dune - It's nice to look at a different world now and then.
    The Princess Bride - the humour, the charm and the sweetness of it. And it's quite quotable.
    American Beauty - to remember to enjoy life for what it is.
    What Dreams May Come - for the wild squishy paint effects, stunning sets and deep Jungian metaphors.
    Army of Darkness - a guilty pleasure, nothing more
    The Edge, Instinct, hell! Anything with Anthony Hopkins - for a touch of style, class and dignity not found in most cinema.
    South Park B, L & U- For the complete lack of class, delivered in a style which insults dignity.

Well, that's enough for ONE weekend at least.. :)

[TINK5C] |"Is K5 my kapusta intellectual teddy bear?"| "Yes"

Mindwalk? (3.00 / 2) (#36)
    by Volta on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 03:58:38 PM EST

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Mindwalk yet. Great flick. I'd put it right up there with Pi.

At this particular moment... (4.00 / 2) (#38)
    by Rand Race on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 04:11:47 PM EST

... my favorite movies are (in no particular order):

Six String Samurai: Buddy Holly vs. Death (think Slash from GnR) to be king of Los Vegas; corny but cool.

Pitch Black: As creepy as the original Alien with stunning camera work to boot. Plus Vin Diesel is a total freakin' badass.

Bullet in the Head: John Woo's chinese take on the Vietnam War genre. Easily ranks with Apocalypse Now and The Deerslayer.

Ghost in the Shell: Not as good as Shirow's manga, but still incredible.

Wing Chun: My favorite wire-fu movie. Michelle Yo is cool enough, and Woo-ping Yuen just makes her better.

Conan the Barbarian: The high point of Ahhnuhld's career, and the finest high-fantasy movie ever IMHO. James Earl Jones should have gotten an Oscar for his role.

The King of New York: Walken, Fishburne, Snipes, Caruso, and a bevy of beutiful dames with big-assed guns. What more could you ask for?

The 13th Warrior: This flick surprised the hell out of me by how good it was. One of the few movies that is actually better than the book.

Repo Man: Alex Cox is incredible as shown in even this, his first major film. Now if they will just release Strait to Hell on DVD...

Brazil: Most anything by Gilliam, but especially this one.

Blade Runner: What can I say that hasn't been said before?

"Question with boldness even the existence of God; because if there be one, He must approve the homage of Reason rather than that of blindfolded Fear." - Thomas Jefferson

All Woo, all the time (none / 0) (#77)
    by rusty on Sun Nov 12, 2000 at 05:49:51 AM EST

I tagged this on because of the Bullet in the head mention-- anyone who liked the Matrix because of the cool action sequences, and not particularly because of the cyber-yaddayadda, you should watch the following John Woo movies immediately, to see what the real thing is like. :-)

Ratings will be highly personal, and only relevant when compared with other John Woo movies. Max is [*****].

Hard Boiled [*****]

IMO, the definitive Woo. If you only watch one, make it this one. From the ass-kicking guns-in-the-birdcages opener, through the character developing canto-pop soaked middle, to the final, forty five minute long hospital shootout finale, this is to John Woo movies what Everclear is to alcohol. General idea: imagine the "rescue Morpheus" scene, only three times as long, involving an entire hospital, and directed by the genius that the Wachovsky's were impersonating to begin with.

The Killer [*****]

As good as Hard Boiled, only slightly less so. This one was earlier, and Woo hadn't quite peaked yet, but was clearly on his way. The canonical hero/villain duality is there, as is the "hope for the future" theme (Woo has admitted to being a great big flower child at heart, note the doves in all his movies), and, of course, the "1,000 bullets" of the promotional tag-line. The scope of The Killer is somewhat smaller than Hard Boiled, but it's a more manageable storyline, especially if it's your first Woo (BTW, always go for subtitles. The English dubs suck tremendously).

A Better Tomorrow [****]

The film that made Chow Yun Fat the massive star that Americans are only just starting to realize he is, ABT is the same basic story as all Woo movies: Good guy == Bad guy, and this time they're brothers. It delves into more moral issues than a lot of his movies, especially things like when is it ethically correct to let your family members get away with various mob-related crimes, and can the bad guy ever make good? Kind of brooding.

A Better Tomorrow II [***]

Still kicks ass, but takes fewer names than the first one.

Bullet in the Head [***]

Holy crap, is this a depressing movie. Woo's take on the War Movie, it involves black market operations in Saigon during the war. Nevertheless, powerful and a hell of a lot more moving than any war movie I've seen from Hollywood. Not to be watched on a lark though-- this is heavy stuff.

Face/Off [***]

Frankly, this is better seen as a Nick Cage movie than as a John Woo movie. As a Nicholas Cage movie, it's just splendid. As a Woo, though, it isn't up to his Hong Kong standards, but is the only Hollywood movie he's made so far that's worth watching. Classic Woo theme of good-guy mirrors bad-guy is exploited and literalized, as the good and bad guys trade lives and become each other. Hokey, but it worked for me. Plus you have two bad guys, who are of course brothers (Castor and Pollux, natch), so that whole theme is pretty much on overdrive here. Not enough gunfights, too much heavy equipment wreckage, but a pretty fun film, nonetheless.

Woo's Other American-made Movies [-**]

Hard Boiled finally got the attention of the American Movie Bosses. First, they made him do the obligatory Van Damme movie (Hard Target) which sucked more than words can even say. The came "Travolta as action star" vehicle Broken Arrow, which also had Christian Slater (playing, surprisingly, the "whiny prick". Ok, not that surprising), and sucked less than Hard Target. M:I-2 was very nearly Woo parodying himself, and was really just kind of sad and hard to watch, if you were familiar with his other work. On the whole, skip it. I don't know if Woo is dead and gone now that the Hollywood money factory's got him, but he hasn't shown any real signs of recuperating yet. It will be sad if we've seen the best Woo has to offer, but still, he's done more for action movies than any other director in history, hands down. When people talk about making "post-Matrix" action flicks, what they're aiming for is going to end up looking exactly like Hard Boiled.

____
    Not the real rusty

canadian geek flicks (3.50 / 6) (#39)
    by mx on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 04:32:26 PM EST

a few more than 5, but some good stuff. In order of precedence in all dimensions (tres geek, non?) ...

• the Kevin Smith 'trilogy' : Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy, and Dogma. These *are* about hacking life by exploding every detail into the most important thing in the universe. A good set of lessons in the art of rant.
    • The Terry Gillam 'trilogy'. This is some fsked up stuff ... just like a good geek mind should be. Some tangent thought here.
    • Blade runner. 'More human than human'. Stuff to live by.
    • Matrix (and the related productions 13th floor and Existenze). Geeks are actually cool.
    • American Beer. Canadian flick you probably will never find a VHS for. Four canadian dudes break down on a road trip and venture in different directions for an alternator.
    • The Python 'trilogy': (Life of Brian, Holy grail, and Meaning of life) ... and then the BBC series.
    • Star wars/Empire. Movies that worked for me as a kid, and still form for me what a real fictional universe should look like (Rodenberry should take notes). Jedi and Phantom were both crap IMO.
    • Tron. On the side of cheese, but at 10 I thought it was the coolest.
    • 12 Monkeys and Fight club. These are related movies for me ... probably because they remind me that things are often not what we see them as. A good geek principle.
    • Hackers. A geek-babe.
    • Princess Bride. What can be done with the right people, the right design, and almost no budget. Simple, sweet, and quotable. Who said geeks can't have heart?

- mx
    Gilliam "trilogy"? (3.00 / 1) (#49)
    by Pseudonym on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 07:24:27 PM EST

• The Terry Gillam 'trilogy'. [...]
    • 12 Monkeys [...]

OK, now you've confused me. I thought you were counting 12 Monkeys as part of the Gilliam trilogy (i.e. Brazil, Fisher King, 12 Monkeys). None of the Python films that Gilliam co-directed count, so I'm guessing the other one you're referring to is Baron Munchausen. While an excellent film, and definitely worthy of the description "geek flick", I wouldn't have seen it as part of a "trilogy".

My 2c: Don't forget the computer animated features. Toy Story I/II, Bug's Life, Antz, South Park.

sub f{($f)=@_;print"$f(q{$f});";}f(q{sub f{($f)=@_;print"$f(q{$f});";}f});
    Gilliam trilogy (none / 0) (#95)
    by voodoovw on Wed Nov 15, 2000 at 03:30:38 PM EST

The trilogy refered to is probably Time Bandits, Brazil, and Baron Munchausen. I read in an interview with Gilliam that this is sort of a trilogy in the sense that they depict fantasies of a child, an adult, and an old man, respectively. Time Bandits and Brazil are great geek flicks, haven't seen Muchausen yet.

Ahhhhhh..... War Games (3.66 / 6) (#42)
    by Emacs on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 04:49:28 PM EST

While it's very dated it's still a classic in my mind. It was one of the first computer hacker movies that I remember, and still very entertaining to watch (Ally Sheedy was pretty cute back then). Just don't expect any special effects... it was 1983 after all :)

Tron: Classic VR/Cyberspace (3.00 / 1) (#60)
    by swr on Sat Nov 11, 2000 at 02:22:50 AM EST

Ahhhhhh..... War Games

I thought Tron was cool. Probably the first mainstream(?) VR/cyberspace movie. I don't recall any others until the rather lame "Lawnmower Man".

I haven't seen it in a while, but I think Flyn would be considered an open-source type hacker, freeing the system from the suits' Master Control Program.

The MCP is alive and well of course, he made a guest appearance in a South Park episode. :)

Just don't expect any special effects... it was 1983 after all :)

Heh.. Tron was almost nothing but special effects, and I think it was from the same time period. I guess Disney is (or was) good for something.

What about the bad ones? (3.50 / 4) (#44)
    by MTDilbert on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 04:56:07 PM EST

Two of my own personal favorites are John Carpenter's "Escape From [New York/L.A.]" They're bad movies, but with no pretensions of even trying to be serious. Sheer viewing pleasure.

How would you have liked to have been the guy in charge of writing Snake Plisskin's lines? Hope he wasn't paid by the hour!

And for the many of the rest that have been listed, all I can say is <AOL>Me too!</AOL>

Don't mod me down because you disagree. Show me the error of my ways.

some films i like (3.66 / 3) (#45)
    by Aleph on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 05:04:02 PM EST

A few of my favourites are (in no particular order):

Pi
    Eraserhead
    most of Kubricks work (Clockwork Orange, Dr. Strangelove, 2001, the Shining)
    Naked Luch
    Brazil
    Mononoke
    Cube
    Meet the Feebles
    Solaris
    The Dark Crystal
    - Every path is possible when you are not going back to anywhere.
    Cube (none / 0) (#64)
    by mikael_j on Sat Nov 11, 2000 at 02:35:08 PM EST

Wasn't that the movie where a bunch of people wake up in some weird building made of moving cubes?

/Mikael Jacobson

We give a bad name to the internet in general. - Rusty
    Cube - indeed it was (none / 0) (#67)
    by gnomon on Sat Nov 11, 2000 at 03:51:32 PM EST

Yes, Cube was the film where a seemingly-random group of strangers wake up together in a cubic room that has hatches on each of the six surrounding faces. Via the dialogue it becomes apparent that they have been taken in against their will (or at least certainly not with their consent), and that survival is going to be quite the challenge.

The obligatory IMDB identification number is "0123755".

Sneakers (2.50 / 2) (#48)
    by reas0n on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 06:46:08 PM EST

Forget "War Games" or (god-forbid) "Hackers", the best hacker movie has to be "Sneakers" None of that GUI crap for me!

As far as general geek movies, I just have to give another vote for "Pi"

not so obvious ones (4.66 / 3) (#50)
    by darkwolf on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 08:04:54 PM EST

Let's not forget these old-school classics:
    • The Forbin Project
    • The Andomeda Strain
    • THX-1138
    • Logan's Run
    • A Clockwork Orange (mentioned above I think)
    • 2001, 2010
    • Metropolis
    And a few newer ones
    • Dark City
    • Mystery Men
    • The Cell
    • Pitch Black
    • Alien(s)
    • The Abyss (mm liquid oxygen)
    • Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (Gilliam!)
    • The Day the Earth Stood Still (weird Aussie film)
    • The Day After (80's TV movie about WW3)

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. --- wierd (4.00 / 1) (#51)
    by Tharanor on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 08:43:07 PM EST

This has got to be one of the best film's of the 90's.

I can't count the number of time i have wathced this film. It never ceases to freak me out.

I'ts a must see simply because of the way everyting is fecked up, you begin to think that Hunter. S. Thompson is the only sane person in the story.

I have partially read the book (didn't ge chance to finish it because a friend wanted it back), and i thought that was just as wierd.

Anyone else seen this film? ( I suppose that a lotof people have)
    --- To read computermanuals without the hardware, is as frustrating as to read sexmanuals without the software"-Clarke“s 69th law magic.
    I've seen it (3.00 / 1) (#53)
    by joeyo on Fri Nov 10, 2000 at 09:59:03 PM EST

It's been a while though... The scene where everyone in the casino gets fish heads, or maybe its some sort of lizard head, anyway, it freaks me out. Oh, and also the scene where the carpet starts moving is pretty mind bending too.

Keeps me from wanting to use mind altering drugs...

Bats!

Saw it in the theater... (3.00 / 1) (#58)
    by ZanThrax on Sat Nov 11, 2000 at 12:23:33 AM EST

on opening day. There were only two other people in the room. I enjoyed the movie but felt kinda depressed/disgusted at the taste of the general public...

Thirteenth FLoor (4.00 / 2) (#61)
    by ranulf on Sat Nov 11, 2000 at 06:47:27 AM EST

I watched this in Australia sometime during early 1999, and although its release was overshadowed by the Matrix, I still think this was an excellent film. However, it seems that nobody in the UK has even heard of it...

I guess part of the reason I liked it is that it had so many close links to how I used to think about how the world existed. Being fairly geeky at school, my first thoughts about God / our world were about our whole planet being part of a great big simulation, where I saw God as just a name for the guy who ran the simulation.

Amazingly, maybe ten years after having my ideas, this film was very similar to some of the things I'd pictured in my mind. Top film - I recommend it.

God (none / 0) (#72)
    by Chakotay on Sat Nov 11, 2000 at 05:47:55 PM EST

To speak with Pitr: "God, root, what's the difference?"

Linux like wigwam. No windows, no gates, Apache inside.

Fight Club (2.50 / 2) (#68)
    by pete on Sat Nov 11, 2000 at 04:28:41 PM EST

Fight Club. If you haven't seen it, do it...it's nothing like what you'd expect. It's obscene, violent, disgusting, and an all-around good time!

--pete

in no particular order (none / 0) (#71)
    by kjeldar on Sat Nov 11, 2000 at 05:46:16 PM EST

Mission: Impossible
    Alien
    Aliens
    Terminator 2
    Gladiator
    Braveheart

What about non sci-fi? (2.00 / 1) (#69)
    by Scrag on Sat Nov 11, 2000 at 04:41:54 PM EST

I know most everyone here enjoys watching geek movies, but what movies other than the obvious 'geek' movies do you guys like to watch? Almost everyone has been limiting themselves to sci-fi, but I think we could all gain some insight into K5 culture if we just listed ALL our favorites, not just sci-fi.

Having said that, heres my list(yes, it is 2/3 sci-fi/fantasy ;) ):

Princess Mononoke - No one has mentioned this yet, and I was rather surprised. This is one of the best movies I have ever seen. The story draws you in, and you can almost forget you are watching an movie.

The Matrix - This movie was just cool, I don't know why, it just was.

Forrest Gump - Not a geek movie, and a highly implausable plot, but I like it.

I don't watch movies too often, but I like movies that make me feel like I'm a part of it, movies that make me care about what happens to the people in it, movies that... don't suck.

If you are looking for a good movie to see, check out rottentomatoes.com, they have a great rating system for movies that is surprisingly accurate.

"I'm... responsible for... many atrocities" - rusty
    Holy... (1.00 / 1) (#73)
    by end0parasite on Sat Nov 11, 2000 at 07:03:04 PM EST

I saw Red Planet yesterday, and I saw it again today. I loved it both times.

When you go to see a movie, you're supposed to be taking a break. I love it when movies completely ignore the laws of science. It gives one a break from reality. I just found this out when I saw Red Planet. I liked it so much, and the only reason I can think of was because it broke the rules of reality. I was able to temporarily abandon my concept of reality.

Actually, they did have one other thing in there to demonstrate the lack of gravity. Maybe two, if you count when the landing pod thingy was bouncing down the mountain. The other thing was when they were getting out of the pod -- I noticed a little bit of a 'drift', if you will.

Red Planet sure beat the hell out of Mission to Mars. The latter gets you all revved up for a huge ending -- and then lets you down! I was dissappointed.

Also, think about how much it would have sucked if they had followed every darned law of science. It would have never sold. Same with Hackers (although that one sucked anyway).

Compliments to the writer: excellent use of foreshadowing and dramatic irony.

My favorite part of Red Planet, I'd say, is, "Alternate high energy power source, come and get me..."

Oops! (none / 0) (#74)
    by end0parasite on Sat Nov 11, 2000 at 07:04:49 PM EST

That one was supposed to go into the review on Red Planet. I am utterly stupid.

My fave flicks... (3.00 / 1) (#76)
    by Miniluv on Sat Nov 11, 2000 at 10:53:44 PM EST

For sheer fun of watching:
    1) Sneakers - Goddamn what a great movie
    2) Any James Bond (preferably not connery though) - He fuels my desire for an Aston Martin.
    3) Primary Colors - Billy Bob Thornton was just kick ass, he is James Carville's alter ego.
    4) Hunt for Red October - best Clancy movie they've made
    5) Hackers - Those lips...goddamn those lips.

Great movies:
    1) Seven Samurai - THIS is the art of making a movie
    2) Battleship Potemkin - Another of the geniuses
    3) A River Runs Through It - Probably the best distillation of Robert Redford movies.
    4) Forrest Gump - My favorite example of suspending disbelief
    5) Anything Kubrick (2001 is my fave) - He just knew how to compress a single vision into a movie without losing it..and without being boring.

Heresy! (none / 0) (#98)
    by PenguinWrangler on Thu Nov 23, 2000 at 09:26:17 AM EST

Any James Bond (preferably not connery though)
    Not Connery? Not Connery? Wash your mouth you you philistine!
    Sean Connery was THE MAN to play James Bond....

"Information wants to be paid"
    My favourites (3.00 / 2) (#81)
    by Beorn on Sun Nov 12, 2000 at 07:32:46 AM EST

Anything with the Marx Brothers, up to 1937. Christ, I've seen A Night at the Opera so many times I can't even laugh at it any more, I know all the lines. My brain has absorbed and adapted to it.

Anything with Clint Eastwood, 60's and 70's. *whistles the theme to Joe Kidd*

Anything with Monty Python. "Whatever happened to the Popular Front, Reg?" "He's over there."

Brigitte Bardot.

40's and 50's Garland, Kelly & Astaire musicals, except Singin' in the Rain.

Kubrick, Hitchcock, and some other people I've forgotten. *hums the theme to Clockwork Orange*

Btw, for those with fast net connections who like old movies, I recommend LikeTelevision. A few great movies I've seen there: Knife in the Water, Battleship Potemkin, Dementia 13, Yojimbo, Night of the Living Dead, Olympia 1936, Mademoiselle Striptease, Theater of Blood, Several 30's Hitchcock movies, Little Shop of Horrors, Charade, Beat the Devil, The Stranger.

Ok, that's a long list, but I really like this site.

- Beorn

[ Threepwood '01 ]

Those 80s/Early 90s Flicks & Some Others . . . (none / 0) (#82)
    by enthalpyX on Sun Nov 12, 2000 at 10:16:05 AM EST

Maybe not under the category of "geek," but I think they have somewhat interesting social commentary:
    • Ferris Bueller's (sp?) Day Off
    • The Breakfast Club

Back to the Future (I-III)? Classic movies for those lazy Saturdays, when you'd rather not spend the effort to go out to Blockbuster and instead, stay home and watch USA all day long...

In addition, an excellent old'ish film -- Inherit the Wind -- the story of the Scopes trial. I get shivers & tears in my eyes when I watch it . . .

What, no one's mentioned Lain? Or Evangelion? (none / 0) (#83)
    by shirobara on Sun Nov 12, 2000 at 02:54:31 PM EST

I suppose Lain doesn't really count since it's an anime series as opposed to a movie, but it's very worth watching. It's been a while since I've seen it and I've only seen it once, so I can't comment about it with any kind of authority, but if you're interested in checking it out further, I'm fond of infornography, so go and take a look at it.

As for Evangelion, well, I can't -believe- that hasn't been mentioned, but I guess it's not really a movie either. ^_^ In any case, this is a good website for more information about it: Guide to Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Foreign Flicks (5.00 / 1) (#84)
    by driph on Sun Nov 12, 2000 at 06:22:50 PM EST

Hmm. Well, all the usual titles are mentioned, so lesse what else I can throw on the boat. How about a few more foreign titles...

Perfect Blue | Great mindfuck. This is the kind of anime I enjoy. Quoting Roger Corman, "A startling and powerful film. If Alfred Hitchcock partnered with Walt Disney they'd make a picture like this."

Run Lola Run | I still need to pick this one up on DVD. Watch Lola attempt to come up with $20k in 20 minutes. Watch Lola die and try again.

Lars Von Trier | Okay, not a movie, a director. If you haven't, you MUST see The Kingdom. Paraphrasing the tagline, "This is like ER on acid." There is a second part out that I have yet to see...however, a friend saw it at the Alamo Theater and absolutely raved about it. Another very good film of his is Zentropa. Zentropa wass the film that drove me to rent just about everything else in the Foreign section.

Delicatessen | Directed by Marco Caro & Jean-Pierre Jeunet, the guys who did The City of Lost Children. Stranger and lighter(and blacker) than the latter, if you haven't seen it, rent it.

Solaris | How to describe this? A Russian 2001? Slower paced than most american films, this one is definately worth the wait. Asks some very interesting questions. Rent it and watch it. IF you enjoy it, try Stalker next. Two good sci fi films from Andrei Tarkovsky.

Vegas isn't a liberal stronghold. It's the place where the rich and powerful gamble away their company's pension fund and strangle call girls in their hotel rooms. - Psycho Dave
    Dancer in the Dark (none / 0) (#87)
    by shirobara on Sun Nov 12, 2000 at 08:52:35 PM EST

I wouldn't class Dancer in the Dark as particularly geeky, but if you're fond of Lars Van Trier, you should see if you can find Dancer in the Dark around. It's absolutely heartwrenching and painful, to the point where I just could not watch it another time with my friends who hadn't seen it. But it's definitely a movie that's worth seeing.

Solaris (none / 0) (#97)
    by PenguinWrangler on Thu Nov 23, 2000 at 09:23:56 AM EST

The book "Solaris", by Stanislaw Lem - which the film is based on, is much better. If you saw the film and got confused, read the book.
    Actually, just read the book, OK?
    BTW, Isn't "Stalker" based on a novel by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky?

"Information wants to be paid"
    Some not-so-obvious but good ones (none / 0) (#86)
    by Dacta on Sun Nov 12, 2000 at 07:01:45 PM EST

In no particular order:

• The Usual Suspects (you MUST see this film!)
    • Breakaway (an early 80's comedy)
    • Predator (well... I enjoy it)
    • The Castle (not particully geeky, but a very funny Australian film)
    • The Sixth Sense (because it leaves you thinking for days afterwards)

The Princess Bride, Ferris Buller's Day Off and Fight Club have already been mentioned, I think.

The Matrix, Pi, Sneakers, Run Lola Run, 12 Monkeys, Bladerunner, Aliens need to be in there, too.

A few more. (none / 0) (#90)
    by Merekat on Mon Nov 13, 2000 at 05:14:52 AM EST

• Labyrinth - David Bowie as the Goblin King and lots of Henson creatures.
    • Plan 9 from Outer Space - Zombies, exploding sunlight, tentacles. You'll laugh, I promise.
    • eXistenz - Gooey sfx and brain wrecking ideas. Plus Ian Holm, excellent as usual.
    • Kind Hearts and Coronets - Forget Obi Wan. Watch Alec Guinness really act as he plays eight different characters.

I've always had the greatest respect for other peoples crack-pot beliefs.
    - Sam the Eagle, The Muppet Show
    Buckaroo (4.00 / 1) (#92)
    by micco on Mon Nov 13, 2000 at 11:56:33 AM EST

You can't be the #1 geek flick without an oscillation overthruster, so Buckaroo Banzai wins by default.

Others:

• The Crow (for attitude)
    • Blade Runner (for ambiance)
    • High Fidelity (for socialization)
    • The Usual Suspects (for teamwork...)

City of Lost Children (2.00 / 1) (#96)
    by teeheehee on Thu Nov 16, 2000 at 12:05:17 PM EST

I've seen a LOT of my favorite movies listed here, so to try not to repeat any I noticed this one wasn't mentioned. It's a french flick which has some of the most amazing choreography (the evil twin sisters while cooking in the kitchen, for example) and just a whole bunch of neat little ingenius things. I can't remember what awards it won, but I got the DVD recently and I recommend it most highly. The story line is deep but not intense, there's a comical darkness all about, and it's even got computer generated special effects used to enhance the movie rather than a movie made to fit the special effects (*cough* Matrix).

I'd be interested in what other foreign films anyone else would recommend, there were but a few mentioned so far...

(Discordia) :: Hail Eris!
    Everything you've just read was poetry and art - no infringement!

the Dark Side of Oz (none / 0) (#99)
    by kazeus on Sat Dec 09, 2000 at 11:47:21 PM EST

This might be better labeled as a classic stoner flick, but:
    Replace the soundtrack to the Wizard of Oz with Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon." There are some pretty cool coincedences, and if nothing else it's a good illustration of how we tend to create signal from noise.

Overly complete instructions (just start it when the MGM lion roars, and put it on infinite repeat) are at the Synchronicity Arkive, which also lists a few other movie/album combinations to try.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that with the right movie, any album will work. Over break, I'm thinking of trying the My Little Ponies movie with one of my sister's Marilyn Manson albums, or perhaps the Rocky Horror soundtrack...

__
    Why should we plant when there are so many mongongo nuts in the world?
    Forgetting one? (5.00 / 1) (#100)
    by DigDug on Sat Dec 30, 2000 at 01:52:10 PM EST

Maybe I'm a bit too late, but it seems that one movie has been forgotten. All the classics have been mentioned, of course. But what about The Big Lebowsky?!

Yavista - if you haven't found a nice homepage yet.

Geek flicks | 100 comments (98 topical, 2 editorial, 0 hidden)