DVD industry fragmenting?

By Signal 11 in Media
Fri Jan 12, 2001 at 07:26:39 PM EST
Tags: Hardware (all tags)
Hardware

The DVD industry may be showing its first signs of fracturing. The EETimes is reporting that chinese DVD manufacturers are threatening to withdraw from the DVD forum and produce DVD-like players and standard. The cost of licensing can go as high as 10% of the total cost of production for a DVD player. China is the top producer of DVD players currently, and if they break with the DVD Forum, it could have serious reprecussions.

o reporting
o Also by Signal 11

DVD industry fragmenting? | 19 comments (12 topical, 7 editorial, 0 hidden)
Not fragmenting. (4.42 / 7) (#1)
by mrsam on Thu Jan 11, 2001 at 11:58:47 PM EST

All the story says is that the Chinese manufacturers are rattling their sabers in order to get a better deal on licensing the DVD manufacturing patents.

This does not affect the current situation with DeCSS, et al, in any way. "Fracturing" would be if a bunch of DVD manufacturers decided to make strictly region 0 players, and collectively flipped the finger to the DVD-CCA when they came whining (as well as making sure that the players can circumvent the new programming codes that attempt to block playback in region 0 players).

Now that would be fragmenting, indeed.

How to circumvent region 0 blocking discs (3.50 / 6) (#4)
by pin0cchio on Fri Jan 12, 2001 at 12:31:15 AM EST

What these discs do is place content on region 0 before the region 1/2/etc content. (Why again is NTSC/J in the same region as PAL/E?) And it's just that easy to circumvent: all that needs to be done is provide a field "REGION SELECT" in the player's menu.

lj65
heh... (3.00 / 1) (#10)
by rebelcool on Fri Jan 12, 2001 at 11:51:50 AM EST

for once, China violating international law is good.

COG. Build your own community. Free, easy, powerful. Demo site

I'm not sure it is violating international law ... (none / 0) (#18)
by Mantrid on Fri Jan 19, 2001 at 02:53:21 PM EST

Region encoding breaks some countries' laws! I think it was New Zealand that banned region encoded players. I think other countries have more open views on fair use and reverse engineering as well. It might be breaking some US laws, but what can ya do? Actually with all these posts in K5, I really need to do some research and see what the laws actually are here in Canada- I'm sure we follow US in a lot of ways, but we do have differences in other areas.

If china.... (2.60 / 5) (#11)
by daystar on Fri Jan 12, 2001 at 12:16:40 PM EST

... comes up with their own standard, and it'll read dvds from a variety of reigons, and maybe even allows me to fast-forward when I WANT to, I'd be willing to pay an extra couple of hundred dollars. They SHOULD be able to provide that, AND not change the price AND get more of a profit to boot.

Inscrutable orientals. When they're not butchering their farmers, they're so productive...

There is no God, and I am his prophet.
Hm (2.50 / 4) (#12)
by Anonymous 7324 on Fri Jan 12, 2001 at 12:52:49 PM EST

I agree with you about the possibility that the standard may be a good thing, but I don't see how the actions of a past government have anything to do with oriental abilities to design electronics. So I voted you a 1. Enjoy!

past? (none / 0) (#16)
by daystar on Mon Jan 15, 2001 at 04:41:54 PM EST

How do you figure that was a PAST government?

There is no God, and I am his prophet.
DVD Fragmentation (5.00 / 1) (#13)
by KevBzng on Fri Jan 12, 2001 at 09:38:41 PM EST

Well do we need another format? Is the region encoding something we really need? When will the media companies wake up and realize we want our media in our way. We don't want to be restricted. If I am in Japan and happen to find a dvd for a good price, I should be able to go home and play it on my home player. Well, if this means chinese players will play all the formats without a problem, and if the players cost the same, I know where I would invest my money when buying my next dvd player. Realistically though, how long will this format last? Does it provide enough resolution to stand up to hdtv? Last I checked dvd players and HDTV resolutions didn't match. Is this just a stop gap format until HDTV becomes widely deployed? More questions than answers here, and as always remember this is all imho.

Regions, DVD, HDTV (none / 0) (#15)
by iainl on Mon Jan 15, 2001 at 12:55:02 PM EST

ok, two quick things to add here.

1) DMCA doesn't apply outside the US. Feel free to get your region chipped player from the UK or wherever; blocking this one is going to be difficult.

2) No, DVD isn't at HDTV resolution yet, but a progressive scan player will still give a stunning picture on a hdtv set, and besides - this new digital standard they are hoping to bring in is going to have to be incompatible with all the HDTV sets already sold. Do you want to be the marketroid who has to persuade the early adopters that their current HDTV set is $5000 down the drain?

New HDTV standard (none / 0) (#17)
by KevBzng on Mon Jan 15, 2001 at 10:01:14 PM EST

Pardon my ignorance, but where can I get info on this new standard? I have a few friends who are considering entering the hdtv world and I myself had been keeping an eye peeled in that direction. I will admit I haven't been paying attention since the last price check I made.... OUCH!

If you can tell me where to investigate this I would be quite interested. Thanks!

Kev

Wow. (5.00 / 1) (#14)
by Mr. Excitement on Sun Jan 14, 2001 at 08:32:22 PM EST

China as a champion of Capitalism? Interesting...

Hopefully some free trade agreements will eventually prevent Western gov'ts from blocking imports of these players... :)

1 141900 Mr. Excitement-Bar-Hum-Mal-Cha died in The Gnomish Mines on level 10 [max 12]. Killed by a bolt of lightning - [129]

Yes... (3.33 / 3) (#19)
by Anonymous 6522 on Tue Jan 23, 2001 at 08:44:29 PM EST

China is capitalist now, although it still has a totalitarian government. It's a step forward though.

DVD industry fragmenting? | 19 comments (12 topical, 7 editorial, 0 hidden)