Hardcopy Periodicals

By mezzo in Media
Thu May 03, 2001 at 03:58:57 PM EST
Tags: Round Table (all tags)
Round Table

I'm just curious what kuro5hin-ers read in terms of paper periodicals. Do you subscribe to daily newspapers, or just rely on weblogs? What hard copies, if any, do you regular read, and why do you choose to subscribe to them?

What magazines do you read to keep up to date with technology? Or do you get everything from the Internet? I think more people tend to prefer reading an actual book then reading an entire novel online. How about news? I still prefer reading an actual newspaper than going online for some of my news. It's nice to curl up with good reading material in hand.

Do you read Wired? The Industry Standard? The C/C++ Users Journal?

How about general news stuff? Do you subscribe to Time or Newsweek?

I just thought it would be interesting to see what non-Internet news sources some people use here.

I subscribe to...
o Newsweek 1%
o Time 4%
o Asimov's Science Fiction 2%
o My school's paper 0%
o Some techy magazine 28%
o The Wall Street Journal 5%
o None of the above 47%
o All/Some of the above 9%

o Kuro5hin
o Also by mezzo

Hardcopy Periodicals | 60 comments (58 topical, 2 editorial, 0 hidden)
My Magazines (4.00 / 2) (#1)
by br284 on Wed May 02, 2001 at 11:23:36 PM EST

I am a regular subscriber to the following magazines:

• Newsweek - it's not as if I don't get enough news as it is, actually Newsweek is usually quite dated. I do enjoy some of their regular features and columnists. (Though George Will bugs me alot.)

• Gear - I like the content in Gear alot. It's similar to magazines such as Maxim, but a lot less pretentious and interesting. (IMHO) They always seem to have some sort of quirky article that interests me.

These are my two regular magazines. I used to be a Wired reader, but lost interest when it became an endless series of digerati and .com advertisements. Granted, there were some golden articles (I have the issue with the Neal Stephenson backbone article on my bookshelf). I think that the web has pretty much taken over what magazines used to do for me. I would rather pay a subscription for a web-based magazine than a dead tree version.

-Chris

I enjoy (3.00 / 1) (#2)
by spacejack on Wed May 02, 2001 at 11:56:33 PM EST

Game Developer Magazine

Juxtapoz which is just plain cool (the site doesn't have much; it's still a pretty traditional print mag, but you get the idea)

Dr. Dobbs once in a blue moon, if there's an article I'm interested in.

I don't so much anymore, but I used to pick up Cinefex when they highlighted a movie I was interested in. But it's all pretty much just CGI these days. Actually the last issue has a special on 2001 which was pretty cool.

A long time ago, I used to read AdBusters, but it seems to have become a parody of itself... maybe it always was.

I'm also addicted to the local free arts weeklies eye and Now magazines.

Basically I still read print when the articles are long enough to want the higher quality type, or when I'm away from the PC.

oops (none / 0) (#3)
by spacejack on Thu May 03, 2001 at 12:11:09 AM EST

How could I forget Vice Magazine, (with such articles as "Interview with a guy who was on acid for a whole year" and "Interview with a fat guy", fashion do's and dont's, etc. The online version will never beat the print version (nothing like full page ads with naked chicks), and of course Viz Magazine which is somewhat similar, but the northern England humour and language are a bit hard to parse sometimes. Viz actually has a very useful add-on, Roger's Profanisaurus which is also nice to have a hard copy of.

I read... (3.00 / 2) (#4)
by anthrem on Thu May 03, 2001 at 12:22:11 AM EST

The Nation
Mother Jones
Utne Reader
Peoria Journal Star, so I can find out which clients are dead or in jail.

- Slashdot is for the simpleminded -
news sources (4.33 / 3) (#5)
by Delirium on Thu May 03, 2001 at 12:29:40 AM EST

I read the Houston Chronicle and The Economist in hard-copy form (though you can get recent articles from both online for free). Both are rather good sources of news, and I'm particularly fond of The Economist (a British news magazine intended for a worldwide audience and geared toward the informed reader). I used to subscribe to Newsweek as well, but cancelled that subscription as it gradually became more like Time Magazine than a serious news magazine.

link typo (none / 0) (#6)
by Delirium on Thu May 03, 2001 at 12:30:46 AM EST

Oops, made a typo in the Houston Chronicle link. Here's the actual site.

Not any more. (4.00 / 2) (#7)
by briggsb on Thu May 03, 2001 at 12:47:01 AM EST

I used to subscribe to our local paper and The Economist, but now I just read everything on line. Saves paper and makes keeping the house clean a lot easier.

Hardcopy more for the tactile feel... (4.66 / 3) (#9)
by ism on Thu May 03, 2001 at 01:16:18 AM EST

Holding dead tree in my hands feels good. The limited CMYK range is warmer than the explosive RGB range on my monitor. I stare at pixels all day long, and paper is a welcome change.

I get my current news online. I sync with AvantGo in the morning and read it on my Palm on the train to work. I also read some books on my Palm. It's easier to read with one hand than a book, which is nice when it's standing room only, but I'd prefer paper if I could sit down.

Technology-wise, there are journals like Markup Languages, Theory & Practice which aren't available online. These are printed on nice bond though so it's worth it. =) Java Developer's Journal and XML Journal both have digital versions that are exactly the same as the printed version, but I can toss the magazines over to coworkers and tell them to check out an article. Dr. Dobb's has interesting stuff once in a while. It's good bathroom fodder.

Mailing Lists, USENET, and web sites fill the rest of the void. When technology changes this fast, it's hard for magazines with lead times measured in months to catch up.

mass quantities (3.00 / 1) (#10)
by xdc on Thu May 03, 2001 at 01:16:52 AM EST

I read The Weekly Standard for its intelligent analysis of current events. I had such a hard time finding it on magazine racks that I finally subscribed. Lately I have also begun looking at in-depth journals such as Hoover Digest and The Cato Journal. Occasionally I peruse The Wall Street Journal.

Since I am pursuing sysadmin education and certification, I also subscribe to Certification Magazine, Windows 2000 Magazine, and MCP Magazine. I got PC Magazine for about eight years, but I let my subscription run out last year, because websites were giving me all my news and I basically only read Dvorak's column and the funny page in back.

I recently subscribed to Computer Music, because I would like to start producing music, and this magazine always includes in-depth, informative tutorials to help novices get up to speed on software, technologies, and techniques.

In addition to the above periodicals, I fairly often impulsively buy magazines about computers, music, aviation, history, current events, finance, astronomy, general science, and travel. Unfortunately, I don't get around to reading everything I buy. Though it may sound kind of crazy, the aforementioned subjects represent only the beginning of my interests, and I would read far more if granted a semi-infinite extension to this mortal lifespan. :)

As of this writing, my online news/weblog reading includes The Register, slashdot, k5, and InTune.

You just can't curl up with your laptop. (4.00 / 4) (#11)
by dram on Thu May 03, 2001 at 01:23:17 AM EST

You just can't curl up with your laptop the same way. I still subscribe to Wired and the WSJ. I find that when I'm trying to go to sleep or just waking up my computer is just not the same. Although I am laying in bed posting this right now having a book or magazine in my hand would be much more comfertable.

However I find that newspapers, for the most part, are slow and out of date by the time I get them. The TV is a major news sourse as well. It does not have the same sort of articles but it gives you day to day news.

-dram

-dram
[grant.henninger.name]

Scientific American ... (4.33 / 3) (#12)
by MoxFulder on Thu May 03, 2001 at 01:24:16 AM EST

... is a great magazine to have on paper. It's the only one I subscribe to and it's worth it. I don't want to subscribe to any more because then I'd spend all my time reading them, but if I did subscribe to other magazines I'd get ... Newsweek, Archaeology, Maxim, and probably some Linux mag ;-)

I read most of my news online ... the New York Times, Le Monde, El Mundo, and the Jerusalem Post, not to mention K5, "the other site", etc.

I like to read newspapers from other countries because you get very different perspectives on the news! It's a real eye-opener. I'd encourage everyone to try reading news from non-American sources ... there are lots of foreign newspapers in English, like the above-mentioned Jerusalem Post!

"If good things lasted forever, would we realize how special they are?"
--Calvin and Hobbes

Whole Earth Review (3.50 / 2) (#13)
by Komodo321 on Thu May 03, 2001 at 01:41:30 AM EST

for an eclectic mix of forward looking articles. I've been with WER and its fore-runner (CoEvolution Quarterly) for almost 20 years, and there were lots of things that I read about there years before the mainstream mentioned them (e-cash, the Gaia hypothesis, GIS, etc etc).

On-line version here at www.wholeearthmag.com

public toilet graffiti (3.00 / 2) (#14)
by eLuddite on Thu May 03, 2001 at 02:05:51 AM EST

I used to read MAD and only MAD but since their decision to accept advertising I'm registered my political protest by eschewing the rag completely in favor of public poetry. I feel so strongly about toilet graffiti, I signed a partition. If I may admit to indiscretion, I am also sometimes moved to look for a phone number. Unfortunately, ever since the dot com crash I'm finding more and more "For a Good Time Email mac100s@aFuckedCompany.com," instead. :-(

Here I sit
In Noxious Vapor
Someone has used all the paper
I'm late for class
I cannot linger
Look out ass
Here comes my finger.

McGill degree - please take one.

Gretsky rebounds... wrap around... he shoots! JESUS SAVES.

This last one was not spotted in the Kuro5hin lavoratory.

More than three shakes and you're a wanker.

God hates human rights.

What is a lavoratory? (none / 0) (#15)
by eLuddite on Thu May 03, 2001 at 02:33:23 AM EST

Good question. I believe it's where singers can see the shoes of mad scientists.

(Lavatory. Nothing says *sigh* better than having to correct a poor joke.)

God hates human rights.

Shirley... (none / 0) (#16)
by Vulch on Thu May 03, 2001 at 05:25:27 AM EST

A Lavoratory is where they wash speeches?

But that's not important right now. Don't people complain about graffitti when you sign their partitions?

Never mind... (none / 0) (#17)
by Vulch on Thu May 03, 2001 at 05:27:15 AM EST

It isn't friday afternoon, but it should be...

Coat please!

Even more vulgar... :) (none / 0) (#51)
by beergut on Fri May 04, 2001 at 02:50:57 PM EST

Here I sit upon the stool,
Jerked my pud and left a pool,
Next one in - it might be you,
Watch the floor, and wash your shoe.

i don't see any nanorobots or jet engines or laser holography or orbiting death satellites.
i just see some orangutan throwing code-feces at a computer screen.

-- indubitable

Not any more (4.33 / 3) (#18)
by GiTm on Thu May 03, 2001 at 06:28:45 AM EST

I used to read a lot of stuff in hardcopy - MSJ, Dr Dobbs, Scientific American, Australian PC, Ciarcias Circuit Cellar (hmm ... I'm spotting a trend here) and at least two local newspapers on a weekly basis.

Nowdays I don't actually get any periodical on a regular basis (except for MSDN News and the IEEE mags both of which are sent as part of my membership). I pretty much get everything online (or download it to my Handheld PC for later consumption).

I don't even get that many books in hardcopy any more - I reread the ones I already have or read a lot of fan fiction for various universes.

It's not that I don't enjoy reading hardcopy - it's just that periodicals now seem to be out of date by the time you get them - you've already read most of the articles on the online site, or heard about the issues through other sources. As for books I just seem to run out of time to aimlessly browse a bookstore for interesting reading.

I think I spend on average 3hrs a day reading weblogs, magazine web sites, and news service sites. Add another 2hrs a day (minimum) reading mailing lists, automatic update notifications and news summaries via email. So the amount of data I consume in a day has increased if anything - just the format has changed.

The times I buy periodicals or hard-copy media is when I don't have regular internet access. I recently spent 2 months in a little town in Wyoming where my internet access was sporadic (and slow) - I think I bought more books and magazines in that period than I did in the entire 2yrs beforehand.

I'm now pondering whether this is a gradual lifestyle change or if it's a matter of personal preference. I really do like to read (fiction and non-fiction) and I do miss curling up in bed or on the couch with something interesting. In a recent cleanup I came across all my old Dr Dobbs magazines (from 1988 through to 1998 - every issue, from 1998 through to 2000 maybe one in every 2nd or 3rd month) and I've been re-reading them (in order). That's been an interesting experience - most of the technical articles are still valid - most of the predictions (from a circa-1992 article - OS/2 will become the platform of choice over the next five years, Windows has a very limited future) have proven to be false.

One thing that seems to be missing from most online sources is the consistent (even if wrong) editorial comment on the articles. That and the obligatory last-page humour (Swaines Flames in DDJ for examples).

I would love to see a monthly issue of K5 available in some portable format that could be printed out and/or read offline (ebook format or PDF or a HTML archive) that included editorial comments (by rusty perhaps?), the humorous and/or pessimistic view (by signal11?), and a collection of the N most read articles for the month with the N2 most voted on comments including a summary of other comments. Unfortunately this would probably take too many human-hours to produce :( ...

For me, that would be the ultimate - I could get my instantaneous information fix by visiting the site daily and still get a summary (with a consistent editorial comment) on a monthly basis.
--- I have nothing funny to say here.
An addendum (none / 0) (#19)
by GiTm on Thu May 03, 2001 at 06:33:17 AM EST

Re-reading the last part of my comment I realised that K5 is one of the perfect sites to provide this. /. is pretty much all MLP, with very few new (and unique) items.

Since I discovered K5 I tend to read /. less and less frequently - apart from getting a quick summary from the front page to see if they link to anything interesting.

One of the best things about K5 IMHO - keep it up please ;-) - and I'll do my best to contribute to the flow and not just consume.

--- I have nothing funny to say here.
Magazines (4.00 / 1) (#20)
by regeya on Thu May 03, 2001 at 08:13:19 AM EST

I don't get any local papers; that'll end in a day or so, provided the paper I work for lets me take home checking copies. ;-) I get most of my local news from TV and a local paper's website.

As far as magazines go, the only thing I subscribe to is Linux Journal. Any other rag I'll get off the newstand, and those, only occasionally. Heck, now that LJ is more trade pub than actual journal, it may even fall by the wayside.

[ yokelpunk | kuro5hin diary ]

too much to read (3.00 / 1) (#21)
by danny on Thu May 03, 2001 at 08:40:55 AM EST

I subscribed to Nature for one year, but that was impossible - apart from only being able to follow a third of the articles, a weekly was just too demanding.

I've just let my Scientific American subscription lapse (largely because of the poor AUS-US exchange rate), leaving Inside Indonesia as the only periodical I'm currently subscribed to.

Danny.
[900 book reviews and other stuff]

I don't have time to read. (3.00 / 1) (#22)
by Crashnbur on Thu May 03, 2001 at 09:00:04 AM EST

School, work, relationship, family... Nope, no time to read for pleasure. When I do, it won't be news, it will be catching up on my philosophy and politics.

Oh, and I generally read Fox News, Opinion Journal, and nickd.org... and of course K5 and /. (hey, com'on, you asked... and while most of their topics suck, there is good information often enough to offer something!)

So that's that. Feel free to add my weblog to your daily reading. Not that you'd want to, but once in a while I might add a little spice. Maybe.

crash.neotope.com

I am quite picky... (4.00 / 2) (#23)
by yankeehack on Thu May 03, 2001 at 09:29:29 AM EST

Well, I used to subscribe to Time, which I had been getting since high school (because of an extra curricular activity I competed in). I'd read it front to back cover in one sitting, I liked reading that magazine so much. Anyway, to make a really long story short, I stopped getting it after their coverage of Election 2000, which sucked.

Now my subscription money goes to the Wall Street Journal. At least in the Journal I can easily distinguish between what is journalism and what is opinion *cough*cough*. The Weekend section is great. We also get the local paper, which is owned by Gannett, so we get alot of USA Today type stories :-( . And the only other magazine we get is National Geographic.

"Please people, if you have no knowledge in a field, don't try to write a grand all-encompassing treatise on it." --Delirium

Just two (4.00 / 1) (#24)
by kostya on Thu May 03, 2001 at 09:49:23 AM EST

Otherwise, I'll never read them and they will just stack up :-(

I get the Linux Journal and the C/C++ Users Journal. The LJ isn't as good as it used to be. I thought about cancelling it, but my wife renewed it without asking me. So I get it for another year. The CUJ is rocking. Of course, it makes me feel stupid on a regular basis, but don't we all need a little smack-down every once and a while?

When LJ runs out, I'm going to try and pick up another programming mag.

Beyond that, most of my reading is spent on books, not periodicals. I've just got way too many books to read :-( I'm currently working down The Brothers Karamazov and I have Miguel de Unamuno's A Tragic Sense of Life on deck as well. the last one is a tad intimidating--quite large and heady.

----
Veritas otium parit. --Terence
Reading myself sane! (3.00 / 1) (#25)
by Mad Hughagi on Thu May 03, 2001 at 10:17:57 AM EST

We get Scientific American, and I think my roomate just got a subscription to Nature.

My other roomate brings home a collection of the really intellectual ones, like Maxim, FHM and the ilk.

We also read our university paper weekly, sometimes the Globe and Mail, Financial Post, Toronto Star, and once in a while (not often!) our community newspaper (it's pretty dry).

We usually have a few Wired mags lying around and I used to get PC Gamer every month (lately I haven't been keeping up with that though).

I'd have to say in general though that most of my "keeping up on things" is done via the net. I get AIP physics news every week or so by email, I check the national news online, weather, etc etc. Not to mention web-logs...

Magazines are mostly bathroom reading at our dwelling. Sometimes if I'm having a smoke outside I'll read an article at the same time, but that's about it. Periodicals are just something to read when you don't have the time to sit down with a book or when you're sick of staring at a CRT. (my humble opinion)

HUGHAGI INDUSTRIES

We don't make the products you like, we make you like the products we make.

Home or Office? (3.00 / 1) (#26)
by starbreeze on Thu May 03, 2001 at 10:28:05 AM EST

Do ya mean at the office or at home?

At the Office we get a myriad of publications including Oracle Magazine, Windows 2000 Magazine and PC World (not sure who ordered that one cuz I don't like it). Someone also gets Maxim delivered here and it gets passed around, I can't help but be amused.

At home I get Newsweek and Cosmo (it was a gift subscription, don't laugh).

~~~~~~~~~
"There's something strangely musical about noise." ~Trent Reznor

WiReD, the Atlantic, PC, National Geo (3.00 / 1) (#27)
by georgeha on Thu May 03, 2001 at 10:29:43 AM EST

for me. My wife gets Vanity Fair, but she says she would prefer Mother Jones.

Plus the daily paper.

Periodicals (3.00 / 1) (#28)
by alprazolam on Thu May 03, 2001 at 10:35:52 AM EST

Newsweek--I read it to pass time but it's not worth a subscription.
Time--Pretty much crap, not worth reading
Asimov's Science Fiction--Not familiar with it
My (former) school's paper--Quality greatly declined my senior year, not worth the price anyway
Some techy magazine--I would almost like a subscription to Scientific America, but some issues are disappointingly dull
The Wall Street Journal--Not enough news thats pertinent to me, I don't care about obscure fund managers, etc

I have a subscription to Sports Illustrated (it was a gift) and I only read about every other issue, I get sports news from ESPN. I get most of my local news from my NPR station, the local paper is mostly a disappointment beyond the front page. I used to read US News and World Report but their style gets boring. Basically they have a 'liberal' and a 'conservative' mouthpiece spout of on whatever topic interests them in a one sided rant that is supposed to be informative. I prefer more in depth news coverage. If I was going to subscribe to any news source, it would definately be the New York Times. As far as geeky magazines, I used to read Electronic Design, but my subscription ran out. I still read the EE Times online, although it rarely has more than one or two interesting articles at a time. Wired and Maxim are mildly entertaining occasionally but would probably get boring pretty quickly. Scientific America and Discover are pretty good, but expensive.

Nothing much... (4.00 / 2) (#29)
by slaytanic killer on Thu May 03, 2001 at 10:51:52 AM EST

If OMNI was still at its high point in quality, I would certainly buy that monthly, but now it's down to basically stuff I glance at through circumstance.

- Economist.
Decent. Probably the best news out there, though occasionally you hit pig-headed bias.

- Dr. Dobbs.
In an office I sometimes go to, there is a large stack there. Nice for looking through and seeing if something in the TOC hits my eye. Though, for some reason I really don't care for the style of the articles.

- Scientific American.
Haven't looked at it in the longest time, but I remember it being good.

My Paper Trail (3.00 / 1) (#30)
by titivillus on Thu May 03, 2001 at 11:26:51 AM EST

At work, I get InfoWeek, WebTechniques, Information Security and Open Magazine because I told 'em I was a computer professional and they sent 'em free. At home, I get Technology Review, Maximum PC and Linux magazine. I occasionally pick up Linux Journal, Perl Journal. I less occasionally pick up Wired.

Three (4.00 / 2) (#31)
by Simon Kinahan on Thu May 03, 2001 at 11:51:09 AM EST

The Economist, because I'm an evil capitalist lap-dog (well, not really, but someone was going to say it, so I thought I'd get there first).

New Scientist, though I tear out the editorial and about half the articles as being SSP, or scientists talking about politics, which is usually nonsense.

National Geographic.

Simon

Simon

If you disagree, post, don't moderate
Astronomy (3.00 / 1) (#33)
by fsh on Thu May 03, 2001 at 12:24:54 PM EST

Sky and Telescope and Astronomy are the only two periodicals I read.

-fsh

Bunches and bunches... (3.00 / 3) (#34)
by Jonathan Walther on Thu May 03, 2001 at 12:31:01 PM EST

Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue
Linux Weekly News
Bruce Schneiers monthly newsletter

But not:

Playboy
Asimovs Science Fiction

(Luke '22:36 '19:13) => ("Sell your coat and buy a gun." . "Occupy until I come.")

Analog vs Asimov's (none / 0) (#41)
by delmoi on Thu May 03, 2001 at 07:04:37 PM EST

I've been thinking of submitting some Sci-fi to one of those publicactions, and I'm not sure which one I should send to. Their websites link to eachother, and the pay is the same.

So, what's the diffrence?
"'argumentation' is not a word, idiot." -- thelizman
online & off (4.00 / 2) (#35)
by Arkady on Thu May 03, 2001 at 12:44:21 PM EST

Online, I read several news web sites (in the order I hit them each morning and not counting the online comic strips):

Offline, I subscribe to a few magazines and occasionalu read a local indy newspaper:

I also read The Independant Media Center's sites whenever there's an event going on.

-robin

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere Anarchy is loosed upon the world.

I subscribe to... (4.00 / 1) (#36)
by pulsar on Thu May 03, 2001 at 12:45:49 PM EST

...several printed magazines (in no particular order):
Linux Journal (so-so)
Linux Magazine (not too bad)
Sys Admin (not too bad)
SCI-FI Magazine (ok)
2600 (pretty good)
Performance Computing (ok)

I used to subscribe to a lot more, but found they often print duplicated information.

Tree - British Tree (3.00 / 1) (#37)
by Mashx on Thu May 03, 2001 at 02:25:29 PM EST

Really, I get most of my news from the net now. The number of magazines I buy has dwindled from double figures a month. I don't read any computer magazines now, except those linked to my job, which I read at work (ie SAP magazines), and I only buy a couple of titles for music, namely MUZIK and Mixmag. My friend has subscriptions to New Scientist and Industry Standard, so I read those, but apart from the occasional purchase of FHM, and even rarer The Face, not much else. I might sneak a look through Cosmopolitan every now and then, just so I know which is the latest and most wanted perfume/moisturiser/lipstick to buy for the gf.

As for newspapers, I have had a copy of the Financial Times sitting outside my hotel door each morning lately, so have taken to reading that, but I tend to look at a variety, from the full on right wing tabloid exploits of The Sun, through to the left wing highbrow of The Observer depending on mood and day. I don't like to get my news from one source, as I like to think it makes me less biased one way or the other.

Life moves pretty fast...
If you don't stop and look around once in a while...
...You could miss it.

Hmm, lessee... (3.00 / 1) (#38)
by weirdling on Thu May 03, 2001 at 04:15:23 PM EST

Motorcyclist
Handguns
Car&Driver
Road&Track
Libertarian
America's First Freedom
No computer magazines, though...

I'm not doing this again; last time no one believed it.
*wankwankwank* (4.33 / 3) (#39)
by fluffy grue on Thu May 03, 2001 at 04:35:40 PM EST

As an ACM member, I get their worthless IT-manager-geared buzzword-flavor-of-the-month Communications of the ACM (though I recently changed my membership so that I'd only have access to the web version, which is fine by me since it saves me $20/year), and I also have a SIGGRAPH student subscription, though I only get their annual journal proceedings and their effete-intellectual "Computer Graphics" quarterly magazinette (though most of it has very little to do with computers or graphics, I've found).

I also have a free subscription to Open Magazine, which I got only as an experiment to see if I could fabricate the profile of an "on-the-go IT manager." I only read it for Roblimo's articles (the rest of it has been more or less uninformed, crappy, opinionated fluff - Roblimo's stuff is just opinionated fluff which is actually fun to read).

As far as other periodical technical reading, now and then I actually go to the library to do some research on graphics, and get really depressed by the fact that the only things which are ever published are trend-of-the-month type of things, and the stuff I'm interested in (namely spatial partitioning algorithms for the purpose of visibility) never seem to get any decent papers written, since all the work there is being done by commercial interests. Hell, the most pertinent paper I've managed to find on that was written in 1979 and was geared towards vector displays. :P
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

My hardcopy mags... (4.00 / 1) (#40)
by reeses on Thu May 03, 2001 at 06:24:40 PM EST

Architectural Digest, Wired, Utne Reader, GQ, Esquire, Maxim, FHM (The GF reads these two more than I do!), and Scientific American.
What can I say -- I'm a guy.

Hmm.. (none / 0) (#46)
by infinitesin on Thu May 03, 2001 at 11:08:36 PM EST

Why is it that I used to be more interested in my ex's Cosmo mag than she did, and she used to be more curious in my Maxim and Stuff mags than I was? I'm sort of glad to see I'm not the only one who has noticed that..

"Just wait until tomorrow..I guess that's what they all say..just before they fall apart.."

Mostly Free publications (4.00 / 1) (#42)
by puckchaser on Thu May 03, 2001 at 07:10:36 PM EST

For those interested, there is a great site which has on-line forms for subscribing to many free magazines ... mostly computing related stuff, but they have alot of other areas of interest as well --- www.tradepub.com.

I don't pay for too many subscriptions anymore since the quality of content of so many publications has dropped off.

I do, however, read (or more realistically scan through) a number of "FREE" magazines. Publications such as SunExpert (Errr... Server/Workstation Expert), ComputerWorld, InternetWorld, and a host of others. They're free, so I don't feel too bad if I'm forced to toss 'em directly into the recycle bin because I couldn't get to them in a reasonable period of time. More often, I'll drop 'em off at the office for others to read or in the case of Upside and CIO, I drop them off at a local doctor's office.

Two (4.00 / 1) (#43)
by Carik on Thu May 03, 2001 at 07:47:48 PM EST

I read Popular Science, which usually has at least one article that's interesting. Sometimes the whole issue is good, though, which makes up for a lot. I also subscribe to White Dwarf, a publication/giant advertisment for Games Workshop. Who are, incidentally, at the top of my smack-'em-around-they're-morons list at the moment. But anyway.

I also sometimes pick up Nature, Discover, or some gaming magazine, depending on what articles are running. And I read Analog whenever I can steal it from my father without his noticing.

-Carik

What I'm reading (4.00 / 1) (#44)
by invdaic on Thu May 03, 2001 at 08:12:30 PM EST

I have subscribtions to National Geographic and Smithsonian. Occasionally I'll buy a copy of Linux Journal or Linux Magazine, and (much to my embarassment) Maximum PC (I like their demo CD's). Being stingy I read most magazines at the public library, including Poptronics, Time, Newsweek, Wired, Dragon and Mad.

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation [and] is but a reflection of human frailty." --Albert Einstein

My personal.. (4.00 / 1) (#45)
by infinitesin on Thu May 03, 2001 at 11:07:17 PM EST

I read my local newspaper daily, as well as my weekly college newspaper. I also get a live feed of news.com to my desktop through the magic of litestep for Windows.

For design news, I check surfstation almost daily, but if its a really big event or a new release, I usually get about fifteen emails or ICQ messages about it about an hour before surf has it posted.

And as far as weblogs, the only ones I read semi-regularly are my own and kottke.org. I used to like Dustin Vannatter's, but he's gone ahead and got himself a life.

usually I just look at the pictures... (4.00 / 1) (#47)
by poltroon on Fri May 04, 2001 at 03:53:38 AM EST

(kidding, sort of)

hmm, I think I've let some subscriptions lapse (some were gifts or freebies), but relatively recently I've been getting Z-Magazine, the American Scholar, Computer Graphics World, Computing in Science & Engineering (not that I have time to read all of them). My absolute most favorite periodical is New American Paintings, which is really more like a book. Sometimes I pick up copies of Juxtapoze, Nest, Art News, Modern Painters, NY Times Book Review, Game Developer. I buy lots of used copies of Grand Street. I've been meaning to pick up hardcopy of McSweeney's, which is one of my online favorites... I regularly flip through Newsweek, Discover, Forbes, Kiplingers (at the 'rents), and Art Forum, Frieze, Blind Spot, Double Take (at the news stand).

I cut up more magazines than I read. There are mounds of them around my house - whatever I find at yard sales: Architectural Digest, Life, Smithsonian, Rolling Stone, National Geographic, W, catalogs.

What I read... (none / 0) (#48)
by tzanger on Fri May 04, 2001 at 07:28:29 AM EST

As I write this there's a bigass jumping spider on my window. Twitchy bugger, too. Fun to watch the cat go nuts since he (the spider)'s on the outside :-)

Let's see here. Online rags:

• Slashdot
  • K5
  • Chipcenter (the odd time)
Mailing lists / Newsgroups:
  • Ultra WideBand Working Group
  • uClinux-dev
  • Open Hardware
  • Open Groupware System
  • LinuxPLC
  • Cisco's NAS list
  • Chipcenter
  • Homebuilder
  • CBC Overnight digest
  • CBC Ottawa and Toronto regional digests
  • Security lists (via my brother) :-)
  • news.massena.com (Palm development)
  • news.vmware.com (VMWare)
  • news.borland.com (C++ Builder)
Offline Rags:
  • EDN
  • ECN
  • Communications Systems Design
  • Embedded Systems Design
  • Wireless Systems Design
  • Machine Design
  • Electronic Design
  • Design News
  • Commverge
  • Advanced Manufacturing
  • Circuit Cellar Ink (rarely)
  • Poptronics (very rarely now)
  • Midnight Engineering (whenever I have a flight)
  • Maxim (the guy mag)
  • Maxim (the chip company) Quarterly App Notes
Yeah it's a ton. Yes they're 95% trade rags. Guess what I do for a living? :-)

With the exception of the true newsstand mags (Circuit Cellar Ink, Midnight Enginneering, Maxim, etc.) I read each issue once, and then once more with a razor blade. Yup. I slice out articles of interest and file them away to help try and cut down from the sheer volume of retained periodical data. I'm a notorious packrat when it comes to information; I download entire web sites for my own archives because I'm paranoid that they'll be gone in six months or six years. They almost always are gone, too. I can't count how many sources of really good or hard to find information have fallen off the face of the 'net during my 6 years on it.

Anything I file away also gets indexed in a small database I have which basically tells me what it is, where it's from and where I put it. Anything I find on web boards (/., k5, etc.) which intersts me I copy to my knowledgebase, an app I started to write partly because I couldn't stand the other kb implementations out there and partly because I wanted to create something to be able to dump things in to so I could forget about them.

How many times have you forgotten something but remember enough to know you knew you saw something about it? That's what the kb is all about. I can forget the details but keep that faint imprint and then just search the kb. Anything not in the kb gets a few passes at Google before I really start some hardcore research.

The KB code is done in PHP but I'll be rewriting in Perl when I get some more time. Its current incarnation is only a shadow of what I have envisioned: a decent (prettier) interface, embeddable HTML, indexing of images and most imporantly, the ability to update entries without changing the original entered data. i.e. if I post an article and then want to update it, I can do so. The update and the original data are available and are linked. Entries are indexed by an algorithm which tosses out common words and weights everything else based on the number of times they appear in the article. When you search the kb it will return results but also be able to provide possible other links based on these weights. It will rock. :-)

The Decline of the West (none / 0) (#49)
by strumco on Fri May 04, 2001 at 08:25:33 AM EST

Thirty years ago, I would regularly read three periodicals a day; a morning newspaper, a magazine at lunchtime and an evening paper.

Today, I buy one newspaper a week - the Saturday edition of the (London) Guardian - an I hardly ever finish that.

I do read an awful lot on-line. I still read books - fiction & non-fiction.

DC

London? (none / 0) (#52)
by ambrosen on Sun May 06, 2001 at 07:32:11 PM EST

Always used to be The Manchester Guardian. Still has fairly important offices in Manchester, even if it's mainly written in London now.

Procrastination does not make you cool. Being cool makes you procrastinate. DesiredUsername.
Update (none / 0) (#54)
by strumco on Wed May 09, 2001 at 09:00:32 AM EST

It hasn't been the Manchester Guardian since (about) 1958. They have a Northern office in Manchester, but their main office is in Farringdon, London (about a mile or so from where I'm typing this).

DC

London papers (none / 0) (#55)
by barrym on Wed May 09, 2001 at 09:10:39 AM EST

probably due to the fact that I have to suffer a tube journey everyday, I always end up reading a copy of the Metro .. and to be honest, I really enjoy it - it's concise and to the point.

Weblogs, magazines, and mindless rants (none / 0) (#50)
by Phaser777 on Fri May 04, 2001 at 10:44:27 AM EST

Online:
This messed up insane asylum
The troller's paradise
BBC (even though I'm USian)
Ars Technica
MacNN

Offline:
I subscribe to MacAddict magazine.
I've been meaning to get a subscription to Scientific American for almost two years now, but I'm a chronic procrastinator.
I also read Time and the Star Tribune occasionally. I read some other newspapers occasionally, but I can't remember the names right now.
Unfortunately my school's newspaper is completely devoid of any content whatsoever, so I don't read that very much. I've considered contributing something to it, but haven't for fear of it being rejected for being too "intellectual" (OMG, we can't have students thinking and/or learning, can we?!). All the stories in it are either "[local road that's been under construction for months now] is under construction. What will this mean to you?" or "We won the <sport> State championship (again), yay for us!". There was even an article on the different types of chairs the school had once (?!). In a school of 3500+ students, you'd think someone could write something worth reading...

I have no idea what just sparked that rant. Moving on...

I used to read a couple of PC and video game mags, but I stopped when the ads severely outnumbered the articles. I know they have to support themselves somehow, but 5 full page ads per page of article?
My business plan:
Obtain the patents for something (the more obvious and general the better)
Wait u
I'm broke... (none / 0) (#53)
by DJBongHit on Tue May 08, 2001 at 04:13:40 AM EST

... so I don't read any hardcopy periodicals. Online ones are free :)

I used to read a few magazines (Time and High Times) and the newspaper on a daily basis, and once I get some money, I plan to start again. I'm also planning on subscribing to Linux Journal (used to have a subscription), The Perl Journal (I think that's what it's called...), and various other techie-mags.

~DJBongHit

GNU GPL: Free as in herpes.

used to work in the magazine section of a library (2.18 / 11) (#56)
by mushroom on Wed May 09, 2001 at 01:01:45 PM EST

for general news, well, time , newsweek, etc, are absolute shit. go work in a library for a year, you will figure out what i mean. they generally all have the same stories in them about the same subjects, and they have them over and over and over and over and over and over. they do this because they know it will sell. do yourself a favor and read the Time and Newsweek from the 1920s, 1930s, etc. you can find them in the library, if you can drag your fat ass off your lazy-boy and quit jacking off to slashdot You will become a cynical old fuck like me but at least you will have something more on your mind than 'Is T-Ball the right sport for george bush to be promoting to our countries youth?" here is the real deal about the shit rags like time and newsweek you see int he grocery store and other places. you know those so called "Tabloids"? I think particularly of the 'weekly world news', which is put out on the leftover black and white presses the 'enquirer' used to use. These magazines are written by harvard graduates who think its funny to dick around with the 'ignorant masses'. Well at least they arent trying to exterminate them like hitler... but basically time and newsweek are glorified versions of these tabloids, with shiny covers and billions of dollars of marketing and art research poured into them to make them appear palatable, like the way you have to pour artificial colors into dog food to sell it, even though dogs are fucking colorblind.

The Web has replaced magazines but not newspapers (none / 0) (#57)
by DonK on Thu May 10, 2001 at 07:10:38 PM EST

I remain addicted to the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal, but in general a newstand full of magazines seems irrelevant in the age of SALON, /., K5, etc.

Litry tastes (none / 0) (#58)
by johnny on Sun May 13, 2001 at 10:44:04 AM EST

I have no subscriptions except Martha's Vineyard Times, which I get free by virtue of having a P.O. Box in Vineyard Haven. Here's what I buy. Further below are some things that I might read if they're around, but generally don't purchase.

Newspapers:

• Boston Globe-- about thrice weekly
  • Vineyard Gazette-- weekly
  • Boston Herald-- about thrice monthly
  • New York Times-- about once a month

Magazines

• Penthouse Letters-- thrice yearly
  • New Yorker--twice yearly
  • Jeunne Afrique--twice yearly
  • Harpers-- once a year
  • Atlantic--once yearly
  • Scientific American--onece yearly
  • New York Review of Books-once yearly

Here's stuff that I might look at if it's around. "O" means at the office, "L" means at the library (where my wife works), "R" means at my parent's house, where they have subscriptions

O

• Wall Street Journal-- page one, left, center and right columns only-2/w
  • Dr. Dobbs and assorted trade rags, mostly about software -- 1 hour per week.

L

• National Geographic
  • The Nation
  • American Spectator
  • New Scientist
  • Popular Mechanics
  • Ploughshares
  • Story
  • Sports Illustrated
  • Muscle and Fitness

R

• New York Review of Books, New Yorker, Harpers, Atlantic-- I might spend arbitrary hours reading these, depending on length of visit, etc.
  • Economist-- Only if my father makes me

What I don't read. Among the thousands and thousands of periodicals that I do not read, two classes are perhaps worth mentioning:

Avoid like the plague. Here are some mags that I generally don't read, even if, for example, I find myself on a Greyhound Bus between Omaha and Cleveland, and these are the only options because I didn't bring anything and the guy next to me left them behind.

• Time-- unless cover story about historical Jesus
  • Newsweek--ditto
  • Wired--except when I'm doing research in effort to get them to write about me and my famous novel.

Heroic Reading Here are some magazines that I read only if by so doing I can temporarily hold off swarthy foreign terrorists who threaten to do evil things to a busload of schoolchildren should I not comply.

• Industry Standard, Red Herring, Fast Company, and their ilk:

yr frn,
    jrs
    Get your free download of prizewinning novels Acts of the Apostles and Cheap Complex Devices.

• print mags (none / 0) (#59)
    by olescratch on Sat May 19, 2001 at 01:29:14 AM EST

The only magazines worth reading are Parkett and The Wire, and the occasional issue of Longboarder.

mmm...yummy hardcopy... (none / 0) (#60)
    by abrasive on Tue Oct 02, 2001 at 12:26:09 PM EST

my list, what i read on paper..... Maxim - best magazine in the world if you have a penis Fast Company - best overuse of the phrase "new economy" I.D. - cool design stuff, lotsa chrome Metropolis - cool design stuff, lotsa brick Playboy - cool design stuff, lotsa silicone Forbes - researching for when i have a portfoilio Wired - best overuse of ridiculous text color/background color combinations (orange background and yellow text? who the fuck gets paid to think that up?!?!?!) Interactive Week - makes me look like i'm "in the loop" the thing to remember about hardcopy: it doesnt break, it doesnt wash out in sunlight when you sit in fronta starbucks, it has infinite battery life, its modular and scaleable (well..you can fold the magazine at least), you dont need to upgrade the software to version 8 to get the content. --//--abrasive--//--

Hardcopy Periodicals | 60 comments (58 topical, 2 editorial, 0 hidden)