New offering from C-SPAN

By vambo rool in Media
Thu Jan 24, 2002 at 01:24:30 PM EST
Tags: Politics (all tags)
Politics

C-SPAN, the Cable-Satellite Public Affairs Network, was created by the cable television industry in 1979 to bring the affairs of congress to the public by broadcasting (or, cablecasting) the US House and Senate floor debates and selected committees.

In the last couple of years, C-SPAN has put together an impressive collection of programming and offerings including Internet broadcasting and, now, full, live coverage of all U.S. Senate committee hearings.

C-SPAN has three television networks, the original C-SPAN which broadcasts the US House of Representatives, C-SPAN2 which broadcasts the US Senate and C-SPAN3 which broadcasts selected House or Senate committee hearings and other conferences and so on. They also have C-SPAN Radio which broadcasts in Washington DC and is simulcast on the web. They have a 100-channel satellite radio broadcast. All of these television and radio stations are simulcast on the web using RealAudio. The have created several very impressive websites dealing with politics and American history, books and public affairs. Among them are

Another valuable resource is C-SPAN's international page which has links to every available Parliament, Constitution and, if available, broadcast around the world.

If you are a policy wonk like me, CapitolHearings.org will completely ruin whatever little productivity you have left. Today begins the Senate hearings into the Enron scandal. If you are tired of media filtering, spin and hype, find out first hand what is happening (or not happening) by listening directly to the source.

Great stuff.

o BookTV.org
o Booknotes. org
o CapitolHea rings.org
o C-SPAN's international page
o Enron scandal
o Also by vambo rool

New offering from C-SPAN | 9 comments (8 topical, 1 editorial, 0 hidden)
You ruined my all my productivity... (none / 0) (#2)
by mami on Thu Jan 24, 2002 at 12:35:12 PM EST

I regained during times I was disconnected from such niceties like C-SPAN. As I pledged not to curse anymore on K5, I leave it up to you to imagine how much havoc your friendly pointers to above links has done to my upcoming days. Now I even have some ideas how to hook myself up in Germany to listen directly to the U.S. sources and opinions. :-)

That pretty much leaves the UK standing (4.00 / 1) (#3)
by rleyton on Thu Jan 24, 2002 at 12:52:54 PM EST

It's interesting to see how much coverage you're getting in the US on direct politics. In the UK, all we have available for us on TV is BBC Parliament (which covers all of the regional parliaments/assemblies, as well as Westminster). You need Sky really (ITV digital is just audio...), although the rolling news channels will cover big events on occasion.

The papers aren't much better. About the most you can hope for in the broadsheet papers is one page of parliamentary issues. Hardly in-depth stuff.

In a nutshell, the main media outlets are only really interested in the big "set piece" political clashes, ie. Prime Ministers Questions (which admittedly, can be quite good). I fear that it all contributes to a continuing erosion of interest in politics.

All said and done, it'd be interesting if there was more political coverage on this side of the pond. But I fear it won't happen.

Ooooooooooooooh! What does this button do!? - DeeDee, Dexters Lab.
My Website

Not Quite (none / 0) (#7)
by Lacero on Thu Jan 24, 2002 at 02:44:19 PM EST

This was posted on The Register a week or so back, but was removed quickly afterwards. I guess they requested this so it wouldn't be hammered with traffic, or El Reg reported it before they were ready, but as most people here are American it shouldn't be as much of a problem ;)

It gives live streaming video of the House of Commons, the House of Lords, Westminster Hall and Select Committees. At least it does when it works, I just tried it and I'm getting no feed.

Not ALL hearings are being broadcast. (5.00 / 2) (#4)
by Mr. Piccolo on Thu Jan 24, 2002 at 01:24:51 PM EST

From the page itself:

*NOTE: The Senate Appropriations Committee has withdrawn authorization for recording of its hearings. CapitolHearings.org can not provide broadcast of these hearings.

Does this disturb anyone else?

The BBC would like to apologise for the following comment.

Yes (none / 0) (#5)
by vambo rool on Thu Jan 24, 2002 at 01:36:18 PM EST

It is disturbing. I can understand that some of the hearings might be confidential, like how much money is allocated to certain agencies, but it's wrong, in my view, to issue a blanket denial of coverage.

Not exactly a fireside chat (none / 0) (#6)
by imrdkl on Thu Jan 24, 2002 at 01:53:33 PM EST

But for expatriates like me, this is a great resource. The realaudio feed is clean and stable throughout the day, and basically the only way I can tune in. The decline of Real stations in the Great Tune Out of online radio stations that followed the Napster decision thankfully did not affect C-SPAN or most public radio stations.

C-SPAN quirks (none / 0) (#8)
by orlkorrect on Fri Jan 25, 2002 at 09:28:33 AM EST

Somewhat OT, I suppose, but I've always been rather charmed by C-SPAN, and their Rosencrantz and Guildentstern approach to the goings-on in Washington. Tune in next time a pol speaks at a convention, or various luminaries hold forth at a roundtable discussion. The interminable footage of camera operators setting up their equipment, journalists chatting with one another, and the pols or speakers of note schmoozing both before and after the actual event is addictive. Not particularly educational, mind you; but adds a real-life dimension you don't get from network news shows, which lack the patience for such stuff.

And the C-SPAN schoolbus is a damn fine thing.

ah cspan rocks (none / 0) (#9)
by perdida on Fri Jan 25, 2002 at 11:38:41 PM EST

i love the press briefings!!

The most adequate archive on the Internet.
I can't shit a hydrogen fuel cell car. -eeee

New offering from C-SPAN | 9 comments (8 topical, 1 editorial, 0 hidden)