Suggestion: "Best of" or "All-Time Classics" of kuro5hin

By Marble in Meta
Fri Oct 06, 2000 at 06:11:56 PM EST
Tags: Kuro5hin.org (all tags)
Kuro5hin.org

I haven't been here long, but already I'm incredibly impressed and glad to be reading/participating.

Occasionally I see people link to some beloved older stories (& their ensuing discussions) here, which are particularly wonderful/entertaining/worthwhile. What I'm suggesting is that a "Best of" or "All-Time Classics" list be generated, to collect together the cream of the crop, as it were.

I see that each person can have their own Hotlist, and I think there's a great potential to add a sort of "global" hotlist as well. That way, new visitors (and old) could feast on the best stories.

The "classics" would be more prominent, and vanish less quickly into relative obscurity (as newer additions would be slowly added to the top of the "best of" list). Perhaps there could even be a "classics" section for each section or topic area, as well as a more global one for the site as a whole.

How to determine which stories are worthy of the "best of" designation? Voting, of course! Perhaps each member could be given, say, 5 special points per month that they could bestow on the stories they saw fit. That way they could lend a lot of weight to one particular story that they really loved, or sprinkle a little here and there on a couple/few that they thought were just darn good.

Or a simpler way to do it would just be to take the stories with the highest scores, now that I think of it.

The actual numbers, threshold for inclusion, and implementation is of course something that would be worked out according to rusty's whim^H^H^H^Hwisdom, etc.

So, what do you all think? Is this worth it? Would you like this type of thing?

I just think it would be great if some of the real gems here, like the Personality Types story & discussion, were featured more prominently (I never would have stumbled upon it unless someone linked to it and I had the time/inclination to follow the link...).

-Beth, INTJ/INTP, for the record.

o Personalit y Types
o Also by Marble

Suggestion: "Best of" or "All-Time Classics" of kuro5hin | 26 comments (21 topical, 5 editorial, 0 hidden)
Tired of a weblog's breakneck pace? (3.83 / 12) (#1)
by JoshKnorr on Fri Oct 06, 2000 at 01:40:34 PM EST

...then such a best-of list might not be such a bad idea. It goes without saying that some categories (rants, opinion, columns) will be more relevant over time than others, but even in the more time-sensitive cases the discussion that follows may be illuminating.

A best-of list helps in one important way: it serves to give to the widest possible audience the very best that k5 has to offer. Let's be honest - with the rate of article posting that goes on, a good number of front-page-only readers are going to miss some good articles and discussions. I am not decrying the quantity of content of k5 (because the quality is quite good), I'm simply saying that it can sometimes limit the quality of discussions if only us reload-mad folks get to chime in before an article scrolls off.

While the mechanism may take some hammering on, this is definetly worth discussion and therefore +1.

Re: Tired of a weblog's breakneck pace? (3.25 / 4) (#5)
by Arkady on Fri Oct 06, 2000 at 02:40:30 PM EST

I like this; I like it a lot.

Perhaps each category could maintain a "top-ten" list and a seperate one for overall? That'd broaden it a bit, since K5's readers tend to disagree on what sort of articles are wanted (see, particularly, the politics vs. tech war that crops up in the editorial comments quite often). Thus, those of us who like the polititical and cultural discussions wouldn't be in conflict with those who prefer the technical discussions over what should go on the best-of.

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere Anarchy is loosed upon the world.

Re: Tired of a weblog's breakneck pace? (3.20 / 5) (#12)
by ramses0 on Fri Oct 06, 2000 at 05:59:18 PM EST

I'd like to see it as a "special" page, such as the FAQ, the Mission, The "Best-Of", etc...

This type of thing would need either

• a) a human's tender hand, or
  • b) a really nifty voting system where people would submit old k5 stories to be voted on.

If it's a), then it falls under rusty's domain (to perform this service, or nominate somebody to perform this service).

If it's b), then it falls into the scoop.kuro5hin.org category.

--Robert
[ rate all comments , for great justice | sell.com ]

Re: Tired of a weblog's breakneck pace? (2.66 / 3) (#15)
by Arkady on Fri Oct 06, 2000 at 06:27:48 PM EST

I think you're right on both points:

1)   it should go in as a special page
2)   it will require quite the voting system, so it probably needs to shift off to scoop, if anyone feels impelled to write it in

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere Anarchy is loosed upon the world.

Re: Tired of a weblog's breakneck pace? (3.60 / 5) (#13)
by fluffy grue on Fri Oct 06, 2000 at 06:05:16 PM EST

Heh, last I checked, Slashdot's Hall of Fame wasn't exactly wonderfully useful...
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Re: Tired of a weblog's breakneck pace? (2.25 / 4) (#14)
by ramses0 on Fri Oct 06, 2000 at 06:18:13 PM EST

stop gloating ;^)=
[ rate all comments , for great justice | sell.com ]
Re: Tired of a weblog's breakneck pace? (2.00 / 4) (#18)
by fluffy grue on Fri Oct 06, 2000 at 07:53:09 PM EST

Ssh.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

This is not Everything2. (1.31 / 16) (#2)
by canthidefromme on Fri Oct 06, 2000 at 01:48:12 PM EST

enough said.

-j

jf542@stern.nyu.edu

jf542@stern.nyu.edu
Re: This is not Everything2. (3.00 / 3) (#10)
by Marble on Fri Oct 06, 2000 at 04:37:24 PM EST

Oh my. Please understand that I wasn't intending to suggest anything of the sort.

-Beth

This would be cool. (3.44 / 9) (#3)
by h0tr0d on Fri Oct 06, 2000 at 02:12:19 PM EST

There are many stories from before the blackout that are still worth a read. This would be a great way of not only making the best of k5 available to new readers but also a way to continuously stimulate conversation about those topics.

However, I do see one possible problem. The idea of using the score of the submission is a good idea except sometimes the submission barely makes it out of the queue. In which case it would not make it to the best of. The problem with this is that quite often a story that barely makes it out of the queue sparks some of the best discussion. I think maybe there should be another criteria of not just how many votes there were for it but also how many comments and what the ratings of those comments are. I think this would be a more subjective measure of the articles that should make it to the best of archives.

I'm not familiar with the Scoop enginge so I'll leave the specific criteria and implementation issues to rusty and the gang.

-- It appears that my spleeing chucker isn't working again.

Why do we need voting for this? (3.14 / 7) (#4)
by Michael Leuchtenburg on Fri Oct 06, 2000 at 02:21:51 PM EST

After all, we've already got the hotlist, and the number of comments posted. The number of people who hotlisted something and the number of people who posted should be enough to determine a story's rank.

Plus, with voting, none of the really old stories would get pulled out, as people would vote on the new stories, not seeing the old ones. Since the whole intention of this is to get people to see old stories, well...

[ #k5: dyfrgi ]
[ TINK5C ]

Re: Why do we need voting for this? (3.00 / 2) (#16)
by itsbruce on Fri Oct 06, 2000 at 07:03:09 PM EST

Best suggestion yet. Absolutely. It's a simple solution and the most likely to work. Any voting procedure is only a poll of those who can be bothered to vote - and the more unrepresentative the list became the less likely it would become that people would bother voting.

IMO kuro5hin works in part because of its simplicity and elegance. Loading it down with extra features, no matter what their individual merits, could spoil that. Any additions should work as simply as possible and not distract from the discussions themselves.

It is impolite to tell a man who is carrying you on his shoulders that his head smells.
Re: Why do we need voting for this? (3.00 / 1) (#24)
by Michael Leuchtenburg on Sat Oct 07, 2000 at 09:04:07 PM EST

The end result would be a "Most Hotlisted Articles" list or "Most Posted On Articles". A time-weighted version of the latter might be nice, too.

[ #k5: dyfrgi ]
[ TINK5C ]
I feel cheated (3.85 / 7) (#17)
by kraant on Fri Oct 06, 2000 at 07:46:08 PM EST

So I'm hi-jacking this article

Am I the only one who clicked on the link thinking I'd be able to reminice over ancient threads and forgotten stories and post a couple of links to some of the better ones for people?

Feh anyway you know what they say about what to do if you don't like it[1]

So here are some links to some good old time favourites of mine

The price of "paper" certifications

More stories need to make it to the front page I read this every now and then to remind myself how redundant and repetitive most new meta articles are.

Will DVD go the way of the Beta? Now if only people still wrote articles like this nowadays...

Poverty in America This is k5 at it's best... Very provocative but still with nice meaty discussion... MMmmm Chunky

kraant

[1]For the slow among you that's fix it...

"kraant, open source guru" -- tumeric
Never In Our Names...
Re: I feel cheated (2.75 / 4) (#23)
by blixco on Sat Oct 07, 2000 at 01:22:31 AM EST

Thanks for bringing those articles up...it's what this story needed. It's funny, though, how much of K5 is very very good, even still. I'm just always impressed and happy with it. Everyone here is just really well equipped for the discussions they get into.

That being said, I think there isn't yet a way to really filter thru all the amazing stuff that has gone on. Let's wait maybe six months, wait for the noise to start, then drag out some of these as an example. More of a learning tool than a "best of." An illustration for a FAQ.

In the meantime, I'll try to not start any revolutions. I did get the most interesting email in reply to the poverty in america thread, though......
-------------------------------------------
The root of the problem has been isolated.
Combine Everyone Lists (2.75 / 4) (#19)
by Aztech on Fri Oct 06, 2000 at 09:30:25 PM EST

Rather than creating a separate site-wide list separate from our hotlists, can't we just aggregate everybody's hotlists and see which stories come out on top? If you wanted to be a little more subjective you could also take the scores of the stories into account (as suggested above).

I guess this will take some experimenting on Rusty's part to see if a eminent group of stories will be produced from coming everyone's hotlist, or whether it just produces a load of noise.

An automated "most popular" list would be easier to maintain than a separate global list, but we need to know how feasible this would be.

Az.

Hotlists aren't necessarily the way to do it (3.40 / 5) (#20)
by khym on Fri Oct 06, 2000 at 10:11:50 PM EST

I don't know what other people use their hotlists for, but I use them for marking stories for which I want to see new activity after they've gone off of the frontpage, without having to search through the list of previous days' frontpage stories; thus, I delete entries from my hotlist after they've been there for about a week. If other people use the hotlist like I do, then agregating the hotlists, or factoring them in along with the number of comments, won't necessarily work so well.

Personally, I'd preffer some way of voting on stories after they hit the front page or section. This vote would be different in nature from the current story vote, since the current story vote is just for the story, while the new one would be for the story plus the comments.

Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Modelling K5's Data (4.00 / 9) (#21)
by Aztech on Fri Oct 06, 2000 at 10:23:58 PM EST

After a bit of thinking, I just thought I'd a few more comments: -

It originally kicked off when I wanted to find the first ever article posted to K5, I wanted to see how the original ideologies and thoughts have mapped out over time.

I've been thinking it would be nice to put articles into broad chronological order for a while new, a sort of site-wide timeline if you will. I know we have the search engine, but that seems to throw up results in an out of perspective crazy order, obviously it's great if you just want to find a particular instance of something though.

I would be nice to view articles purely based on the context of date/time, I'm not sure how you could deal with the sheer volume of posts, but it would be good to start with a simple hierarchy, like tree's for year then for months, then days etc.

We could even filter the output based on total scores for the story, or the different sections, an obvious way is to use different colours for each section, subtle pastel colours would be good, we could even follow this convention on the frontpage, or is that a little too /. ? (Anyway, I'm drifting)

The premise seems to be the fact we have a huge data pool but we need a cohesive way to access and order it. It appears once an article has drifted off the frontpage and sections it disappears into the abyss, only to be uncovered when somebody is purposely trying to find the article again via the search engine. Finding items through the search engine will get more difficult throughout time since there will be more content which obviously equates to more noise. It would be good to "browse" through old content, since people don't always know what might take their interest.

Maybe we need to enhance the search engine, or somehow introduce a sort of data map. Other ideas like charts of the highest scoring stories might be a good idea too.

What do you think, do I make sense?

Thanks,
Az.

Re: Modelling K5's Data (2.66 / 3) (#22)
by Holloway on Fri Oct 06, 2000 at 11:10:01 PM EST

Yes, I've long thought that there's a nugget or two of knowledge buried after a week.

Category/Hierachy is good, writeups need to able to exist in many places. Users create categories, and vote with a push in categories. High push gives them a rank in that category or pushes them out the door. This would be trying to create an encyclopedia.

Although I don't see what the motivation for going to the effort is though, besides goodwill. Voting posts as a community helps me rank by popularity, but this only a few people will read.

I'd say it's more a job for an anti-category system like everything2.com - but without the lame in-jokes. Although this would be outside the scope of kuro5hin, surely?

== Human's wear pants, if they don't wear pants they stand out in a crowd. But if a monkey didn't wear pants it would be anonymous

date-based browser (3.50 / 4) (#25)
by rusty on Sun Oct 08, 2000 at 04:44:17 AM EST

What I'd like to add is a way to browse content by date. Basically, you could pick year, month, and day and see stories from then. Possibly the display could show you title lists for multiple days and/or months as well. This wouldn't actually be that hard to do, and would provide a nice kind of overview of the content. Along with fixing search so it doesn't suck so much, I think this would help a lot toward making a more sensible archive system.

____
Not the real rusty
Way-back mode (4.00 / 2) (#26)
by Sunir on Mon Oct 09, 2000 at 09:44:28 PM EST

In the grand tradition of Peabody and Sherman, this kind of thing has been euphemistically termed "Way-back mode" in the wiki world.

A wiki with full versioning can trivially implement way-back mode by simply picking a date and propogating that timestamp in the intersite links. Don't you just love dynamically generated HTML?

This can allow readers to "go back in time," so to speak, and is really handy for internal development wikis.

"Look! You're free! Go, and be free!" and everyone hated it for that. --r