Cross-section 'New Stories' option needed?

By molo in Meta
Wed Oct 11, 2000 at 05:30:38 PM EST
Tags: Scoop (all tags)
Scoop

Rather than having to scan all of the different sections that one is interested in, I think that a user should be able to promote section-posted stories to their personal Front page. To function well, this would have to be some kind of display preference.

Sponsor: rusty
This space intentionally left blank
comments (24)
active | buy ad
If you are particularly interested in say, the News section and the Technology section, a user would be able to have the section-posted stories from those sections show up on his or her Front page. I think this would make reading k5 quicker and easier for many of us.

I havn't looked at the Scoop source, so I don't know how difficult this would be to implement, but I think this would be a great feature.

It might even reduce load on the server if people don't have to generate section story listings for 2 or 3 additional sections.

Would you enable section-posted stories on your Front page? From how many sections?
o No - Zero 15%
o One 4%
o Two 21%
o Three 17%
o More than three 41%

o Scoop
o Also by molo

Cross-section 'New Stories' option needed? | 15 comments (9 topical, 6 editorial, 0 hidden)
A staged approach (3.36 / 11) (#2)
by Mendax Veritas on Mon Oct 09, 2000 at 12:12:37 PM EST

I'm sure it would be possible to go wildly overboard on this, with user preferences for all sorts of things, but I think it would be better to focus on a minimal change that would be easier to implement and thus might actually get done soon.

Here's my suggestion:

Retain the current front page unchanged, but also create a new "all stories" page that simply lists the most recent stories from all sections in pure newest-first order (not grouped by section) in the same format as the front page. This page could serve as an alternate front page for those of us who want to see everything.

In the future, this could be extended with user options to filter out sections and group the stories by section, at which point you have the "personalized front page" idea.

Please read .. (2.83 / 6) (#5)
by Eloquence on Mon Oct 09, 2000 at 03:17:52 PM EST

this article.
Copyright law is bad: infoAnarchy Pleasure is good: Origins of Violence
spread the word!
uhhh I voted "0" (1.25 / 4) (#7)
by el_guapo on Mon Oct 09, 2000 at 05:12:15 PM EST

cuz I'm unsure of where these sorts of things belong, and I have my own submission pending where people make pretty good points on both sides of the argument. so I did my civic duty by voting, but I was a wimp and just straddled the fence....
mas cerveza, por favor mirrors, manifestos, etc.
Not enough sections (3.00 / 1) (#9)
by Sigma 7 on Mon Oct 09, 2000 at 05:27:58 PM EST

Although I agree with the spirit of the post, there is not enough sections to make this completely worthwhile. With the current amount of traffic on Kuro5hin, I would expect it only to be useful to force all articles to appear on your custom homepage.

If this is going to be implemented, there should also be an option to apply the settings to the topics as well as sections.

Alternativly, there could also be an option to mask the articles an the section/topic.

Uh, why not in the upperleft? (4.50 / 12) (#10)
by Speare on Mon Oct 09, 2000 at 07:45:12 PM EST

In the upper left of the front page, I see:

* Meta * Columns * Culture
    * Internet * Media * MLP
    * News * Rants * Technology

Why not compare a mutation timestamp on each column to your cookie, and give

* Meta(1) * Columns * Culture
    * Internet * Media * MLP(5)
    * News * Rants(2) * Technology

Plus, yes, this should go on scoop.kuro5hin.org. However, I've noticed that scoop's site itself doesn't have the front page section map like k5 does.

[ e d @ h a l l e y . c c ]
good idea! post to scoop! (none / 0) (#14)
by sayke on Tue Oct 10, 2000 at 07:49:27 AM EST

your proposal would be a nice, clean way of displaying some really handy information... i always have to look at each section-box to make sure i havn't missed anything. your idea would solve, or at least greatly simplify, that.

sayke, v2.3.1 /* i am the middle finger of the invisible hand */

Or... (3.00 / 3) (#11)
by tom0 on Mon Oct 09, 2000 at 08:18:35 PM EST

Just have an option to show the last X days worth of stories (in all sections) on your "My K5" front page? I sometimes wish this was available, and I think I'd rather have this than pick and choose some sections...

+1 Section. (1.00 / 2) (#13)
by pento on Tue Oct 10, 2000 at 06:45:06 AM EST

Just because I could be bothered clicking on the section. ;>

What I want... (none / 0) (#15)
by /ASCII on Tue Oct 10, 2000 at 09:26:38 PM EST

What I want is for scoop to allow each users frontpage-material to be selected by something similar to a SQL WHERE statement, like "where Topic not like 'Meta' and PostTime > (Time() - 3600) and ...".
You get the point.

And yes, I understand it probably can't be done in a secure, fast and yet customizable way.

"The time has come", the Walrus said, "To talk of many things: Of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and kings."