Reposting Stories From Other Sites

By GreenHell in Meta
Wed Nov 29, 2000 at 12:58:26 AM EST
Tags: You Know... (all tags)
You Know...

Chances are we've all seen it happen, a story is posted on one discussion site, and eventually someone decides to post it here.

Now, I'm just curious to know what exactly people think of this. Do you like it? Do you hate it? Do you not care one way or another?

On one hand, the 'repost' (for lack of a better word) could be said to generate discussion among the people who have never seen it before, and those who have, but still have something to say. On the other hand, judging from a number of the comments I've seen, a lot of people seem to -1 it using the justification "I've already seen it on site X"

So, here's the question I'm asking: when do people think it's appropriate to post an article that's already appeared on another site? Should it be never, should it be whenever the poster thinks it might promote interesting discussion, should it be when there is more information provided in the write up then before (my personal opinion), or should there be some other reason for it to be posted here?

When is it apprpriate to post an article that's already appeared on another site?
o Whenever the poster feels like it 22%
o Never 0%
o Only if there's more information provided 13%
o Only if it will promote interseting discussion 52%
o I don't care 4%
o Inoshiro...rusty...I mean, what was the question again? 6%

o Also by GreenHell

Reposting Stories From Other Sites | 17 comments (17 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
-1; Already seen (2.66 / 3) (#1)
by Ixokai on Tue Nov 28, 2000 at 09:48:53 PM EST

I've already seen this on k5.. er, wait. um..... Seriousely, I have no problem with seeing something posted here that was posted on another site, since i'd rather not have to flip around fifty different sites, and the discussions (the important part) can be very different between sites.

You sure? (3.25 / 4) (#5)
by qslack on Tue Nov 28, 2000 at 10:22:57 PM EST

Errmm, that's odd. Looking in the voting menus, I see that you voted +1 not -1 as your post implies and expresses ("What? They're playing the NFL with only implied verbal consent and not expressed written consent?" - Simpsons). I just wanted to point out your mistake so you can remember next time :P ...this isn't a troll or anything.

I wonder where this came from... (4.25 / 4) (#2)
by Devil Ducky on Tue Nov 28, 2000 at 09:58:01 PM EST

Could the idea for this be from here?

Now on to the subject.

I imagine many people on K5 read you know. I do. I read /. and then I point my mouse pointer to the bookmarks button that reads K5. And I read stuff here. I don't read everything at either place (I'm pretending to have a life you know).

But why should we say that since most of have already read this interesting thing (let's assume for now that it is interesting) that we shouldn't bring it up here?

Personally I am much more likely to post a comment here than there. This likelyhood comes down simply to the fact that my comment is more likely to be read here. No one reads the 354th comment on /.. Meanwhile here I can usually be in the top ten, often times starting a conversation with replies and everything.

Devil Ducky

Immune to the Forces of Duct Tape
Day trading at it's Funnest
You got me there... (4.00 / 1) (#4)
by GreenHell on Tue Nov 28, 2000 at 10:18:33 PM EST

That story was the origin of this idea. However, it wasn't so much the fact that it was posted to here after it had appeared on /. so much as it showed up here with nothing new (and even, IMO, a little less) included.

I have no major problems with posting an article to multiple sites, I've seen submissions beginning with 'this article is being submitted to site x as well' because the author thinks that one site might find something quite interesting/useful in the submission, while the second site might just generate more discussion on it. Personally, I like this idea, at least its the same article by the same author showing up on the other sites.

My main problem, as I've stated, is when it shows up with nothing new, just a vague rewrite of what showed up before. Personally, I think that if you found the idea interesting enough to post, you probably would have a point or two to add to the original write up.

Anyways, that's just my two cents, and from what I've seen most people don't care at all, and they are the ones after all who get to decide what gets past the submission stage.

-GreenHell
This .sig was my last best hope to seem eloquent. It failed.
I noticed. (4.00 / 1) (#7)
by Devil Ducky on Tue Nov 28, 2000 at 11:25:20 PM EST

I had noticed that the story in question was almost the exact thing as what appeared on slashdot.

I spent a lot of time deliberating on what to vote on it, I think I voted +1 To Section. The main reason for this vote was that I don't feel a story should be killed unless it's completely mindless with no chance of a good thread resulting from it.

To me, whether or not the story should be submitted/voted up relies on the quality of the conversation yet to be typed. I have recently felt that slashdot hasn't lent itself to a good conversation (I need a synonym for this word). There are too many people saying the exact same thing, over and over again. It would (usually) be fine with me to repeat stories on both sites, because the conversation on site 1 hasn't been fullfilled.

In the future, I forsee a problem with K5's comments lowering to the same level as more people join. If this were to happen I, and many like me I imagine, will be forced to move on to another site (probably not im_ur).

Unfortunately I forgot what I was going to say in this reply...

Devil Ducky

Immune to the Forces of Duct Tape
Day trading at it's Funnest
/. (none / 0) (#13)
by codemonkey_uk on Wed Nov 29, 2000 at 09:34:56 AM EST

As I said here, (when you read this the link may not work, as it was an editorial comment) : kuro5hin is not an extension of slahdot
I, for one, don't read slashdot.

Remember: K5 != /.++

Thad
Calm Down. (none / 0) (#15)
by Devil Ducky on Wed Nov 29, 2000 at 11:37:26 PM EST

1. I said:
> I imagine many people on K5 read you know [slashdot].
I didn't say all people, I didn't even say most people; I said many people.
2. Why do you bother to repeat yourself and still not say anything?
If you think I ignored yourt statement before making my comment, I didn't, I wrote the entire thing before you even read the submission.

I understand that you don't read slashdot, so when a story gets repeated than it is new to you. It was people like you (who don't read slashdot) that I was indirectly defending.

If this seems like a rant, it is. I don't like when people make snippy comments without thinking about what they are saying. You might as well have been talking about Natalie Portman and grits.

Devil Ducky

Immune to the Forces of Duct Tape
Day trading at it's Funnest
I am calm (none / 0) (#16)
by codemonkey_uk on Thu Nov 30, 2000 at 05:17:34 AM EST

What about my comment was not calm? It had a smiley and everything!

But, to address your points.

1) Yes. I can read. Whats your point?
2) I repeated myself here because it was relevent to the conversation. My origanal comment was an editoral comment on a story still in the submition queue, not everyone reading this story would have read it, and the link would, with time, break. As to me not saying anying, I was saying that you are right. Not everyone reads slashdot, gaving myself as an example.

To summerise, I was agreeing with you, and strengthening your point by providing myself as an example! It wasn't an insperational message, or deep, or profound. But I felt it was a valid controbution to the coversation, none the less.

Now, could you remind me who it is that should calm down?

Thad
Get Excited then. (3.00 / 1) (#17)
by Devil Ducky on Fri Dec 01, 2000 at 11:43:44 AM EST

If we're going to play that game, my smiley's will have noses. :-)

Devil Ducky

Immune to the Forces of Duct Tape
Day trading at it's Funnest
Reposting (3.00 / 2) (#3)
by fender0011 on Tue Nov 28, 2000 at 09:58:52 PM EST

I think reposting is fine. I'd rather just have to read one news site if possible. However, I don't really like reposting on the same site. Slashdot has been notorious for this lately and it's one of the reasons I've pretty much stopped reading it.
------ This sig is under development. If you'd like to be notified when this sig is completed... umm... well too bad, you'll just have to wait.
Says who? (4.50 / 2) (#6)
by pb on Tue Nov 28, 2000 at 11:11:10 PM EST

Who says they found it on another site?

I mean, they probably did, but what if they found it on, say, cnn.com, or read about it in Science News? What if they posted it to the submission queue, and someone else posted it to slashdot, and it got posted there before it got posted here?

Usually these sorts of double postings are unintentional. If you've already seen it, vote 0. If we've all seen it, vote -1. But don't assume we've all seen it just because you have.

...and if you have something extra and interesting to add to the topic, well vote +1. :)
-- pwhysall
voting in other's interests? (3.33 / 3) (#11)
by plastik55 on Wed Nov 29, 2000 at 02:53:54 AM EST

But don't assume we've all seen it just because you have.

When I vote on a story I'm not assuming anything about what you think.

It's a democracy, and I believe that in most democracies, voting for "what you think other people would want" is worse than voting for what YOU want, because you have no real way to gauge the former. The vote is supposed to gauge the former, that's its reason for being there!

If 95% of k5 readers have already seen/talked about some news item somewhere, and don't want to do it again, the story should be dumped! But this doesn't happen if readers vote in the interest of the (in that case imaginary) "people who might find it interesting."

I'll vote for what I think will make k5 better in MY view, as a reader of the site. Which means if I've seen a story done to death (on TOS or elsewhere), I'll vote it down, but if I'm interested in a story, I'll vote it up. If more people haven't seen a story done to death, well, hey, I'll be outvoted. That's how it works.

Now, before anyone jumps on my rationally self-interested ass, I do take into consideration some estimate of what I think will make the site better in the long run. If hte issue is novel or interesting enough to promote good discussion even if I've personally done it to death, I'll vote it up probably. But this is tempered by a rational consideration of how inaccurate my assessment of the opinions of other k5 readers is.

One suggestion that might fix the perceived problem: If your reason for voting a story down is just because you've seen it elsewhere, do us all a favor and don't make a lame-ass post saying so. Constructive criticism only, please :-)
w00t!

I see your point... (3.33 / 3) (#12)
by pb on Wed Nov 29, 2000 at 05:18:36 AM EST

Especially the last suggestion.

Higher standards and more turnover around here might not hurt anything, but less lame Editorial posts would definitely help things out, IMHO.

Oh, and sorry, I'm not used to a real democracy; I'm from the US, and we have a democracy by proxy over here, whre the Democratic party tells you not to vote for the Green party because then the Republicans might win. Nothing to do with actual positions or beliefs, or issues, mind you...
-- pwhysall

Better Discussions Here (3.25 / 4) (#8)
by eskimo on Tue Nov 28, 2000 at 11:42:44 PM EST

A while ago, the 'cool' eskimo had to come to grips with the popular world. You see, the 'cool' eskimo was way behind on the whole Counting Crows thing. I thought their first song was a theme song to a Richard Gere movie, which landed them promptly on the heap. Now at the time, you know, I was a pretty hip cat, passing around copies of Bongwater and Meryn Cadell tapes, and telling people about how great Liz Phair was (is). So because of the song, 'Mr. Jones,' I didn't even bother. Then I heard another song, and you know what? They seemed kind of cool.

But by then, even dorks and squares had their Counting Crows CDs. So I had to make a choice. I decided that I was not going to let the squares determine what I thought was cool. I had to relearn this lesson when I heard 'Ironic,' by Alanis, which I liked after hating the first song. But anyway...

I don't see a problem with reposting stories, because I am only going to discuss them here. For an MLP or something, maybe it could be redundant, but as for stories, I think it is fine. Overlap is inevitable. But I will only participate in discussions here. Especially when the stories may come from the other site. Like I have mentioned before, they have a lot of good news there. They have thousands of people skimming sources I can't always get to. Then they race to post them. You can't beat that. Most news services can't beat that.

If something has been discussed elsewhere, it is fine. I think here we might even be able to have a moderately rational discussion about Microsoft, or something. I have infinitely more faith in the level of discussion here than I have anywhere else right now. Well, except for the BBW room on Yahoo!.

I am my own home. - Banana Yoshimoto

discussion (3.66 / 3) (#9)
by Nyarlathotep on Tue Nov 28, 2000 at 11:47:38 PM EST

Ok, the only site where cross stories are really an issue is slashdot. Stories from CNN, Wired, EFF, Register, smokedot, ACLU, etc. all have their place since these are original news producers. Slashdot, memepool, and freashmeat are not really original producers of news (Katz dose not count as original since he's just an infinite loop<grin>).

The criteria for posting an ex-slashdot story here should be: The story it's self contains *significantly* more useful information then the first 100 posts on slashdot. If you have read slashdot and can not make a simple, clear, and concise statment which makes everyone on slashdot look like an idot for arguing over the unimportent parts then you probable should not waist our time.

BTW> You missed the most importent poll option, "I'm voting -1 to this story since I saw this discussion on another site."

Campus Crusade for Cthulhu -- it found me!
Acceptable. (2.50 / 2) (#10)
by simmons75 on Wed Nov 29, 2000 at 12:25:29 AM EST

People bitch about it on /. all the time (well, that and re-posts, which I think are OK most the time too) but the thing is, I find the discussion is more intelligent here than on other sites.
poot!
So there.

This was already discussed that that other site (3.00 / 1) (#14)
by Denor on Wed Nov 29, 2000 at 03:07:55 PM EST

Well, not this discussion, but the above is the phrase that I usually see when this sort of thing comes up in the submission queue.

Oddly enough, I have seen some stories on Slashdot that have already been covered here, (this one vs this one, for example), so it does seem to go both ways.

Oddly enough, when I read the slashdot discussion of these topics, I will occasionally see someone point out the fact that K5 also has a discussion going on, but I have never seen someone say "This was already on K5, why is it here?"

In conclusion, the only reason I ever vote down a story is because I don't think it'll generate discussion. I think there are enough people here who either have never, or no longer, read slashdot that it's okay to vote up stories that have already been mentioned.

-Denor

Reposting Stories From Other Sites | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)