Silly Section

By Mandos in Meta
Thu Nov 30, 2000 at 11:05:34 AM EST
Tags: Kuro5hin.org (all tags)
Kuro5hin.org

There are some articles and discussions that are so outré that I think we need an entire section for them.

For instance, if I wanted to post a story asking people for their thoughts on whether the Bear Planet would have Gummy Humans, and if not, what human things would they have, there really is no specific place for me to put it.

Therefore I propose the creation of a new section, possibly titled "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious." In this, we would discuss topics which have no relevance to reality at all. Serious posts would be forbidden from there, and those who dared propose them would be sentenced to forever posting in "culture." On ISPs for ballet companies, no less. I realize it's a major change, but, hey, do it for Ronald Reagan.

Well, would the bear planet have gummy humans?
o Yes. 22%
o No, they would just eat the humans. 13%
o Oh, please, they would eat human-shaped *bits* of humans. 30%
o On the advice of my lawyer, I refuse to answer that question. 33%

o Also by Mandos

Silly Section | 23 comments (20 topical, 3 editorial, 0 hidden)
I'd like to see this (3.20 / 5) (#1)
by Khedak on Wed Nov 29, 2000 at 05:04:41 PM EST

This site is for discussion, and I think fostering creative, nonsensical discussion can be healthy, too. It doesn't hurt anything, and it could be fun. I think it would be a bad decision to say 'no' and deny us the creative outlet. :)

but shorten the name (3.80 / 5) (#2)
by Smiling Dragon on Wed Nov 29, 2000 at 05:16:54 PM EST

Sounds good. People often say K5 could use a humour injection from time to time.
I reckon I'd read a lighthearted section. We'd want to still moderate it though, silly things can be crap too :)
But shorten the name down - can you imagine that in the top bar? <grin> It would be gigantic! But perhaps having a heading like 'mindless' or 'whimsy' or 'lunacy' ?
-- Sometimes understanding is the booby prize - Neal Stephenson
I don't think that would be good (3.00 / 5) (#3)
by qslack on Wed Nov 29, 2000 at 05:18:41 PM EST

It might be good to have an all-submissions-added (except for spam) section for general announcements but I doubt anyone at all would care about this section. A humor topic is great. But a nonsensical topic would a) get spammed ("everything counts!"), b) do nothing for the community, and c) waste server resources.

Are there any compelling arguments _for_ this idea?

Dedicate your diary to nonsense (3.60 / 5) (#4)
by jabber on Wed Nov 29, 2000 at 05:21:41 PM EST

-1.

As much as I like silliness, for me it has to derive from a serious context somehow. Random silliness is such a personal thing that dedicating a section to it would be ironic, like planned sponteneity.

I'm all for a thread or two degenerating into Lilliputian debates in any of the sections, but MLP is one catch-all too many IMO.

[TINK5C] |"Is K5 my kapusta intellectual teddy bear?"| "Yes"

Diaries? (3.44 / 9) (#5)
by Carnage4Life on Wed Nov 29, 2000 at 05:36:05 PM EST

Wasn't this the whole point of diaries?

diaries (4.00 / 5) (#7)
by radar bunny on Wed Nov 29, 2000 at 06:37:26 PM EST

Wasn't this the whole point of diaries?

I agree. But on the front page -- instead of listing diaries by the person's name--- how about listing them by their subject title. I mean who cares what radar bunny put in his diary today -- but one with a subject "the perfect beer?" might get people interested.

just a thought.

Well, yes (4.00 / 3) (#9)
by Mandos on Wed Nov 29, 2000 at 06:41:03 PM EST

It would be subject to moderation like anything else on K5. So presumably only truly funny or utterly bizarre things would get in there.
---------------------------------------------------------

`o Mandos `o tyrannos tôn 'exoterikôn

Well, maybe not /that/ strange.... (3.40 / 5) (#11)
by Denor on Wed Nov 29, 2000 at 07:13:08 PM EST

I think what was suggested was a bit on the... bizzare side. Knowing how odd things like this tend to get blown out of proportion, I'd wager K5 would start to get a reputation as "that really strange site with no serious content".

That said, I think a general 'humor' section would serve us well. Something more on the lighter side, but not as strange as what you'd find in a 'bizzare' section.

-Denor

Places to put stuff like that: (4.14 / 14) (#12)
by rusty on Wed Nov 29, 2000 at 07:38:45 PM EST

1. Your diary. Custom-made, supremely tailored, and no voting necessary.
  2. Some other site.
I think that about sums it up, then. :-)

Oh, another possibility-- create a user account named "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious". Let everyone know what the password is. Allow anyone to post their random stuff to the shared account's diary, and use the diary like a home-made section. Hey, no reason why not.

This probably ain't gonna get up there on the top of the page though.

____
Not the real rusty

I concur (2.33 / 3) (#17)
by no carrier on Thu Nov 30, 2000 at 02:26:15 AM EST

your diary solution to this problem is excellent. you are obviously a doctor of wisdom, a profesional man, a thinking man.

no, i'm not sure why I said that either.

I stab people.
Actually... (3.66 / 3) (#18)
by rusty on Thu Nov 30, 2000 at 02:31:19 AM EST

Driph (Grand Vizier of Graphics) suggested the diary thing. I'm no good at coming up with ideas, but damn, can I ever phrase other people's ideas convincingly. ;-)

____
Not the real rusty
Die-aries (3.50 / 2) (#21)
by Mandos on Thu Nov 30, 2000 at 01:08:17 PM EST

I have heard the diaries suggestion a few times here. However, diaries are unmoderated and do not separate the wheat from the chaff when it comes to silly/funny/bizarre stories. The fact is, strange/funny things can sometimes make quality stories, which is why they deserve their own section.
---------------------------------------------------------

`o Mandos `o tyrannos tôn 'exoterikôn

Humor section (3.33 / 3) (#13)
by ScottW on Wed Nov 29, 2000 at 10:59:38 PM EST

Oh, like a homur section? :)

IMO, it might be a better idea to create a homur topic instead. Also, I wouldn't forbade seriuos posts, that could cause more problems than it's worth.

I like the idea, but I'd definatly change the name to something simpler. Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious is going to be a bitch to search for, that is an unusail word, and there are people who have problems with spelling.

But, other that that, great idea!

Jaberwocky (3.50 / 2) (#14)
by Devil Ducky on Wed Nov 29, 2000 at 11:40:07 PM EST

The title says it all. "Jaberwocky" It covers humor, random talk, non-serous, Lewis Caroll, John Lennon, Ronald Reagan, and just about everything else I can think of.

Devil Ducky

Immune to the Forces of Duct Tape
Day trading at it's Funnest
Bear Planet (4.00 / 6) (#15)
by Devil Ducky on Wed Nov 29, 2000 at 11:52:59 PM EST

The Bear Planet would not have Gummi Humans!

Unless one of the bear nations "Beamerica"? once had a leader who was well loved by most of bearkind. Then if that bear, who we shall call Jim, had a famous picture of him taken while he was hunting humans (which bears would do once they master shotguns that is). During Jim's reign as leader he must then become well associated with that picture in his subject's minds. Then at the height of his popularity, an inspired toy company would release a new stuffed animal called a Jimmy Man, hoping to build of the popularity of Jim and his picture. The young cubs experiences with their stuffed Jimmy Mans would enable an association in their heads that humans aren't dangerous. Sometime after Jim's death a failing candy company would have to come out with small chewy candies shaped like humans, thus hoping to associate with the "harmless" Jimmy Mans.

Only if all of those things happened would there Bears on the Bear Planet eat Gummi Humans.

Come to think of it I would like a section devoted to allowing me to make up more of these types of comments.

Devil Ducky

Immune to the Forces of Duct Tape
Day trading at it's Funnest
Bears/humans (3.16 / 6) (#16)
by Knile87 on Thu Nov 30, 2000 at 12:26:22 AM EST

What type of human will be the model shape for the gummis? A 35 year old white male American football player? Or a diabetic Japanese grandmother? And for that matter, are they wearing clothes?

"We're all on a big ship! We're on a big cruise, across the world!" -- Iowa Bob, in Hotel New Hampshire

yeah but (4.50 / 2) (#19)
by sugarman on Thu Nov 30, 2000 at 09:05:09 AM EST

... I've heard the bears whisper, and we all look alike to them.
--sugarman--
Section (2.50 / 2) (#20)
by Mandos on Thu Nov 30, 2000 at 09:51:41 AM EST

Well, if people just want a humour section, then let it be so--a rose by any other name smells just as sweet. I'm sure that a Gummy Human discussion would still fit in well there and possibly even pass moderation.
---------------------------------------------------------

`o Mandos `o tyrannos tôn 'exoterikôn

There already is one! (2.00 / 1) (#22)
by bgarcia on Thu Nov 30, 2000 at 01:23:21 PM EST

It's called segfault.org

And? (3.00 / 1) (#23)
by Mandos on Thu Nov 30, 2000 at 03:36:13 PM EST

There already is one of everything on K5... That doesn't mean we shouldn't encourage the compounding.
---------------------------------------------------------

`o Mandos `o tyrannos tôn 'exoterikôn

Silly Section | 23 comments (20 topical, 3 editorial, 0 hidden)