What is MLP?

By enterfornone in Meta
Wed Dec 13, 2000 at 12:05:19 PM EST
Tags: Kuro5hin.org (all tags)
Kuro5hin.org

There is a discussion in the moderation queue about whether a story that is mostly links to current news items on other sites should be considered News or MLP. The Rusty and the author of the article are in favour of the former, as the storty is currently at -11 one would assume the majority of the rest are in favour of the latter.

So everyone is on the same wavelength in regards to voting it would be nice to define exactly that MLP is.

From the FAQ
MLP stands for Mindless Link Propagation. If the whole writeup is "check out this link," it's definitely MLP. MLP isn't always bad, but it can be :-) We have an MLP section you should use for that kind of story. I also wouldn't recommend posting it as a story unless you have a paragraph or describing what's so interesting at the other end of the link, because a bare link is Just Wrong.
So I would think, if the whole article is "check out this news item on another site", that is MLP. Generally anything that is just link would fit into MLP. That makes sense based on what the FAQ says, but in that case what is News? Much of what is currently sitting in News is not much more than a link with a short description.

Others are arguing that MLP should be for links that will still be relevant later, a public bookmark of sorts where cool sites you would want to refer back to later are shared with the K5 community. In this case the majority of what is in MLP is in the wrong section.

Personally I have no strong opinion either way, but the way the FAQ is written suggests anything that is just link is MLP and that is how I have been voting. As long as there is confusion people will be voting in different directions and many stories that should otherwise have been accepted will be rejected.

So what should MLP be?

MLP is..
o anything that is just link. 46%
o only links that will be relevant later. 7%
o whatever the FAQ says. 46%

o discussion
o the FAQ
o Also by enterfornone

What is MLP? | 11 comments (8 topical, 3 editorial, 0 hidden)
MLP rejection a bad thing? (2.22 / 9) (#1)
by Signal 11 on Wed Dec 13, 2000 at 01:14:28 AM EST

Maybe it's just an indication that the kuro5hin crowd doesn't need quickies and silly links... we get that at the other site.

Society needs therapy. It's having
trouble accepting itself.
I don't know about that... (4.00 / 1) (#4)
by kmself on Wed Dec 13, 2000 at 01:27:54 AM EST

Slashdot's drivel tends to be short and sweet. The K5 crowd seems to like going on at length.

Given that Rusty and I (both here from the start) have a pretty good idea as to what news and MLP are and aren't, I'd say it's a communication problem.

Karsten M. Self
SCO -- backgrounder on Caldera/SCO vs IBM
Support the EFF!!
There is no K5 cabal.

Yep (4.50 / 2) (#8)
by rusty on Wed Dec 13, 2000 at 03:22:15 AM EST

I agree with this, and I agree with your previous description of News vs. MLP. We need good docs. Whee.

____
Not the real rusty
I second that !!! (4.00 / 1) (#9)
by mystic on Wed Dec 13, 2000 at 06:53:52 AM EST

We need good docs
I second that.... What happened to k5 FAQ and DOC story & Inoshiro's attempt to rewrite the FAQ?

What other site? Yahoo? MSNBC? (5.00 / 1) (#11)
by TrentC on Wed Dec 13, 2000 at 11:19:57 AM EST

There are only two sites on the internet?

If not, then please get over whatever frustrations you have about the quality of Slashdot and refer to it by its name.

Jay (=

What is News? (4.25 / 4) (#2)
by jesterzog on Wed Dec 13, 2000 at 01:19:29 AM EST

I think the more appropriate question with respect to this isn't "What is MLP?" We already know what MLP is - it's clearly described. On the other hand there doesn't seem to be anything formal anywhere describing "What is News".

I voted the other story down the first time I saw it because it simply looked like MLP. When I saw rusty's comment on the second attempt I voted 0, because essentially if rusty thinks it's suitable I don't really mind that much.

It'd definitely help to have proper definitions though. I've always thought kuro5hin was supposed to be intended to encourage insightful comments and opinions about things, and MLP was just a relief measure for when there's not much else to talk about but it's worth posting. Hopefully if we can get the kuro5hin documentation sorted out and updated, things will be much clearer.

jesterzog Fight the light

Bingo (3.33 / 3) (#5)
by kmself on Wed Dec 13, 2000 at 01:35:10 AM EST

Yes, this is the problem.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

• MLP are links, with minimal content, to sites, lacking time sensitivity.
  • News is something that's happened recently (or is currently happening).

News isn't commentary (Op-Ed), a regularly appearing feature (Columns), or MLP (mindless links). It's news. If a writeup is appropriate, great. If it isn't -- well, the news is still there.

Karsten M. Self
SCO -- backgrounder on Caldera/SCO vs IBM
Support the EFF!!
There is no K5 cabal.

Good topic, wrong story (2.00 / 1) (#10)
by ignatiusst on Wed Dec 13, 2000 at 10:10:49 AM EST

This is a good topic, and needs to be propogated out to the k5 group (I think, at least, we should all be reminded from time to time to read the FAQ).

Still, I don't like this particular presentation of the topic. Not that enterfornone hasn't done a good job writing it up (I liked the writeup) -- It just seems to me to be the wrong package (a package of dissent) for putting forth the message.

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift

What is MLP? | 11 comments (8 topical, 3 editorial, 0 hidden)