10,000th confirmed user and blankets for K5!

By Inoshiro in Meta
Tue Dec 19, 2000 at 04:40:23 AM EST
Tags: Kuro5hin.org (all tags)
Kuro5hin.org

Kuro5hin has recently past the 10,000 mark for confirmed user. The actual 10kth confirmed user is shadoi. But, thanks to tuxtiles.com, we can mark our 10k confirmed user with cool swag for you :)

[editor's note, by rusty] Note that we're celebrating 10K *confirmed* users. Anyone who didn't do the second step in the account process isn't confirmed, and therefore isn't counted, which covers about 10% of UIDs. So, despite having the cool number, Captain_Tenille isn't actually confirmed user 10K. Fight user inflation! :-)

Here's the message from Matt McCabe, one of the people behind tuxtiles.

"We're happy to be offering this promotion to support the K5 community and help celebrate its 10,000th confirmed user. All K5ers can send me email <cybin@whid.net> and recieve a promotion code for 15% off the cost of a tuxtile -- the one and only linux blanket. The 10,000th confirmed user (shadoi) will recieve a FREE (as in beer) blanket from us.

"If you want to know more about the blankets, see our website or ask Inoshiro, he has a bunch of them. We will also donate $1 (roughly 3.5%) from each blanket purchased with the K5 promo codes back to K5. Hurry and get one! Right now we only have 161 blankets available, with some reserve stock. Get 'em while they're hot -- and keep yourself warm."

I bought 10 blankets myself. They certainly do make my chilly basement suite more bearable, and are not itchy (despite looking it) :) If you can paypal your payment to the tuxtiles people and order by 3pm tomorrow, you can probably get some blankets in time for Christmas. It's made my Christmas shopping easier.

Editor's note:Some of you have poo-pooed the commercial tone. That's OK. The tuxtiles people just wanted to give us K5ers a break on their swag + a free blanket for the confirmed 10k user. It's their way of thanking the K5 community. I wasn't sure how to "spin" the rest of the wrapper, so I wrote about the blanket I have (it's neat, and I like it -- I wish I had bought more, and probably will buy more) :) K5 has been growing at a rate where we double our population every ~3 months. We reached a landmark, so let's celebrate!

o Kuro5hin
o shadoi
o Captain_Te nille
o tuxtiles
o see our website
o Also by Inoshiro

10,000th confirmed user and blankets for K5! | 33 comments (25 topical, 8 editorial, 0 hidden)
merchandising merchandising merchandising! (3.85 / 20) (#5)
by rusty on Tue Dec 19, 2000 at 12:23:35 AM EST

Now we have cross-marketing. Boy does that ever suck or what? ;-)

Ok, I know normally we'd all pitch a fit for this blatant plug, but seriously. The point of this is that we have 10,000 cofirmed users, which is pretty cool. We thought it'd be nice to do something for U10K, and the guys at tuxtiles stepped up and offered to give us some of their (weird, but cool) linux blankets. Hence the big blatant plug. :-)

Look for a story later this week to commemorate our First Birthday too! You all rock. I'm all choked up right now. :-)

PS: Would it be amiss for me to mention that we sell TShirts and stuff too? I guess this already shameless plug would be the place.

____
Not the real rusty

Whhheeeeee, 10k and growing!!! (3.55 / 9) (#6)
by Global-Lightning on Tue Dec 19, 2000 at 01:07:13 AM EST

I look forward to one day saying:
"Yeah, that poor schlep's website got posted to the Front Page, and wham!, his servers got K5'ed..."

k5'd? (4.30 / 10) (#7)
by Sunir on Tue Dec 19, 2000 at 01:36:38 AM EST

Term's kuroded.

"Look! You're free! Go, and be free!" and everyone hated it for that. --r

kuroded (3.00 / 3) (#15)
by sugarman on Tue Dec 19, 2000 at 04:04:59 AM EST

I *like* it!
--sugarman--
Growth of K5 (4.00 / 6) (#8)
by Dacta on Tue Dec 19, 2000 at 01:36:44 AM EST

I've been posting the number of users (okay, uids) weekly (for about a month or so) updates in my diary. We're over 11,000 now, so that makes 1000 missing people.

What happened to those poor souls? Are they lost in an alternative universe, or was it just that they couldn't spell their email addresses?

I'm right here! (3.33 / 3) (#12)
by Captain_Tenille on Tue Dec 19, 2000 at 03:24:24 AM EST

Wah. I don't want to whine, but *my* soul isn't lost.
----
/* You are not expected to understand this. */

Man Vs. Nature: The Road to Victory!

Re Count (4.25 / 4) (#19)
by scorpion on Tue Dec 19, 2000 at 08:41:08 AM EST

Those lost souls are probably from Florida and WE DON'T need any more counts!!! The number of users has been counted and recounted by MACHINE and now there seems to be a question? 1000 LOST users.. Just had to put in my two cents .. it's Christmas and time for some fun.

They actually meant to register on slashdot (n/t) (2.40 / 5) (#21)
by Biff Cool on Tue Dec 19, 2000 at 03:10:53 PM EST

My ass. It's code, with pictures of fish attached. Get over it. --trhurler

+1, but Hey!!!! WHAT!!!! (3.12 / 8) (#11)
by Captain_Tenille on Tue Dec 19, 2000 at 03:22:54 AM EST

I'm UID 10,000!!! Check, if you want. I wasn't really all that proud of it, but I'm theoretically 10,000, aren't I? I don't want to sound like a bitch, but do I at least get a tea towel or something?

BTW, I didn't realize I had user i.d. 10000 for a couple of weeks until after I'd been on k5, just so you know.
----
/* You are not expected to understand this. */

Man Vs. Nature: The Road to Victory!

Actually... (4.50 / 4) (#16)
by Inoshiro on Tue Dec 19, 2000 at 04:35:08 AM EST

Technicaly, you are UID 10k. However, this does not make you confirmed user 10k. In fact when Matt (the tuxtiles.com guy) was checking it earlier, be pointed me at your page. You had not been confirmed!

We're going for confirmed users because we don't want to inflate our numbers. It seems like 1 in 10 of our users can't be bothered to take the step of confirming their account once they enter an email address and select a handle. Sometimes this is because they enter an invalid mail address (one such was an emai addr ending in "@nospam.hotmail.com" .. sigh), sometimes it is because they simply can't get the URL to work (some mail help@ and we fix it for them, but lots don't). The confirmed user will likely actually do stuff on the site, rather than just be a noise account.

[ イノシロ ]
Oh. (3.00 / 2) (#20)
by Captain_Tenille on Tue Dec 19, 2000 at 01:18:55 PM EST

My bad. :-/
----
/* You are not expected to understand this. */

Man Vs. Nature: The Road to Victory!

Ahh, what the heck! (4.75 / 4) (#23)
by cybin on Tue Dec 19, 2000 at 04:14:30 PM EST

We're going to send a blankie to Captain_Tenille too, for having UID 10,000. we're celebrating the growth of the site here, not commercialism... IMHO (and i'm running this promo!) UID 10,000 is just as valuable and meaningful to the site as confirmed user 10,000... so, the Captain will be recieving a blanket from us.

keep in mind too, those that are poo-pooing (as inoshiro said above) the commercial tone... there are ads on the side of the page for VA linux and vhosting.com. there are t-shirts for sale linked from K5... how is this any different? we're donating $1 from each sale too... at this point we have a total of $7 going to rusty! (well, tuxtiles will add more :) what's up with that?! support K5!

Yay! (2.50 / 2) (#28)
by rusty on Wed Dec 20, 2000 at 02:50:05 AM EST

I was gonna send him a t-shirt or something, anyway, for having the cool symbolic number. Thanks, cybin. :-)

____
Not the real rusty
Welcome! (4.00 / 4) (#13)
by Arkady on Tue Dec 19, 2000 at 03:28:34 AM EST

Well, since no one else seems to have said it yet:

Welcome, shadoi!

(And everyone else who doesn't just happen to have gotten a perky spot like that. ;-)

I tend to agree that the commercial tone was _almost_ over the top, but it didn't go far enough that I'd vote down Inoshiro on a story like this. Besides, as has been pointed out, if anything can be plugged here it's K5 itself.

If we can help by accepting a touch of merchandising to put of the dreaded day that we see advertising rear its ugly head here again (Hi, Rusty!) then I can certainly cope with the, say 20%, commercial content of this post.

Cheers,
-robin

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere Anarchy is loosed upon the world.

Tuxtiles.com is very severely non-free (3.25 / 8) (#18)
by nevyn on Tue Dec 19, 2000 at 04:54:19 AM EST

I kinda have a problem with that... Does anyone else?

I can't use "their art"... (and I'm not sure if the way they say they're using tux is strictly legal either)

as I understood it the licence for tux was basically "if it's for the promotion of linux it's ok".. I also thought there were gplish licencing (in which case tuxtiles.com is definitly breaking them)

nevyn

The computerbank project

reply... (4.75 / 4) (#27)
by cybin on Tue Dec 19, 2000 at 11:58:10 PM EST

Please read this page if anyone doubts our use of the Tux character is legal.

to quote the page:
Permission to use and/or modify this image is granted provided you acknowledge me lewing@isc.tamu.edu and The GIMP if someone asks.

people can't use the design because we need to protect our business. imagine how mad rusty would be if i started up kur05h1n.org with the exact same font and logos and colors and running scoop? our design is under our control so nobody starts making cheapy blankets with the exact same design and underselling us (as well as making us look bad). this is a very common occurance in the textile industry.

i'm not sure how one expects to run a small business like ours by being "free". should we give away blankets to everybody that wants one? that would put me a few thousand in the hole. blankets != source code. however, by buying one from us, you support K5. we are completely behind the OSS movement, as all here should be.

i'd encourage everyone to read the statement of purpose and policy before ordering. if you disagree, you don't have to buy a blanket from us... but we like 'em, and well, you can just be cold at night.

we're trying to celebrate K5 here guys, why is everybody so bitter? i come here every day, i love it, and i'm trying to help by using what resources i have available to me: blankets.

How do you know if you're "confirmed" ? (3.00 / 3) (#22)
by ghjm on Tue Dec 19, 2000 at 03:34:44 PM EST

I can't remember what I did when I signed up, but I don't remember any "second step" - where can you find out if you're one of the 10% ?

-Graham

Re: How do you know if you're "confirmed" (4.66 / 3) (#24)
by Matthew Bafford on Tue Dec 19, 2000 at 04:33:03 PM EST

You should have gotten an email when you first signed up... Something like:

From: Scoop <rusty@kuro5hin.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 00:06 -0500
Subject: New Account Confirmation from Scoop

Someone requested a new user account on scoop.kuro5hin.org/, and gave this email address as their contact.

If this was you, you may activate your account by going to the following URL:

If it wasn't you, please reply to this email, and we will cancel the account, and apologize profusely for the inconvenience.

Account information, for your records:
Username: Matthew Bafford
Password: !teeHEE!

I hope you enjoy Scoop!

Scoop <rusty@kuro5hin.org>

I wonder, though... Do these unconfirmed accounts just stick around forever?

--Matthew

--ydant

You just posted, so your confirmed :) (4.33 / 3) (#25)
by panner on Tue Dec 19, 2000 at 04:33:58 PM EST

When you sign up, you get an e-mail sent to you, which has your randomly created password, and a URL you have to go to in order to confirm your account. AFAIK, if you don't confirm your account, then you can't do anything with it. (actually, I'm almost positive that's right, because I remember not being able to log in without confirming). So, if you're capable of logging in and using your account, then you're not one of the 10% or so that isn't capable of confirming their account :)

Keith Smiley
Get it right, for God's sake. Pigs can work out how to use a joystick, and people still can't do this!
Fast (3.00 / 3) (#26)
by aphrael on Tue Dec 19, 2000 at 05:04:05 PM EST

K5 has been growing at a rate where we double our population every ~3 months

Which means by the end of 2001 we should have 80,000 confirmed users, right? Anyone got any idea how we can structure the community to *handle* that many people? :)

Welcome Slashdot! (3.50 / 2) (#29)
by floydian on Wed Dec 20, 2000 at 09:55:50 AM EST

Hey, I don't mean to troll, but I think we should realize that probably most of us are /. refugees (myself included). Maybe we should run a poll and find out how many of us are slashdot expatriates.

Promotion Code & a small challenge (none / 0) (#30)
by cybin on Tue Dec 26, 2000 at 05:01:19 PM EST

OK everyone -- it's after christmas. We wanted to hold the promotion code except via email, but anyone who would like to use it now that it's after the holiday: when you enter your name in the queue for a blanket, enter the following:

297a367fb2
or
b341e310c9
or
d514d76818

incidentally, the first person who can tell me how we came up with these codes will recieve an additional 15% off the cost of the blanket :) good luck.

hey! we've only raised $28 for K5 so far?! what's up with that?

side note: the 15% off applies to your entire order, not just 1 blanket.

i have yet to hear from the 10,000th confirmed user! someone seek him/her out and point them to this thread!

-matt

Got my blanket yesterday!! (5.00 / 1) (#31)
by Captain_Tenille on Thu Dec 28, 2000 at 03:06:40 PM EST

And it's very nice. Warm, fuzzy, and penguin positive -- truly, everything a blanket should have.

Thank you kuro5hin and tuxtiles!
----
/* You are not expected to understand this. */

Man Vs. Nature: The Road to Victory!

I object! (none / 0) (#32)
by shadoi on Sun Oct 07, 2001 at 04:55:09 AM EST

I am confirmed!

I've been bamboozled!

Watch out.. (none / 0) (#33)
by Inoshiro on Wed Oct 23, 2002 at 07:07:56 PM EST

As of the 23rd of October, 2002, tuxtiles.com has been bought by some domain squatter.
"Found InterNIC referral to whois.enom.com.

Domain name: tuxtiles.com