K5, A One Year Retrospective

By rusty in Meta
Thu Dec 21, 2000 at 08:12:22 AM EST
Tags: Kuro5hin.org (all tags)
Kuro5hin.org

As of today, K5 is one year old. It probably seems longer to many of you (I know it does to me!) but in fact, it was just one short year ago today that the first K5 story was posted. I Won't Be Home For Christmas went up on Tuesday, the 21st of December 1999, and the rest is history.

But how much of that history do you know? We can see where we are, but do you know where we've been? For those who don't, or just want a refresher, interiot has put together an incredibly cool K5 retrospective, covering pretty much all the highs and lows of our inagural year. I pulled some Y1 stats from the DB for those who are interested, and then I'll turn it over to him. Happy Birthday K5! :-)

Stats, Dec 21 1999 - Dec 21 2000:
  • Stories submitted: 1953
  • Stories posted: 1304
  • Stories posted to front page: 892
  • Users: 10075
  • Diary entries: 2203
  • Comments: 58942
  • Pages served (very roughly, since Feb): 7006310
  • Data served (equally roughly, since Feb): 248 Gig
But, of course, raw numbers say very little. The real "stats" from the last year are found in the stories. So, without further ado:

Kuro5hin: An introspective history, by interiot

The following are stories by and about Kuro5hin, starting from the very beginning. These stories document K5's history, its values and aspirations, and the features that have been requested over and over in thousands of variations.

Some have worried that our culture will be ignored or destroyed by an influx of new users. It's my hope that if more people learn and understand the history of this place, future changes will remain rational and informed.

Many of these stories I'd never read before because I showed up after the DoS attacks. For some reason, some of them struck me as very interesting, even if some don't directly apply to day-to-day posting.

I guess the two things that struck me the most were how short but rapid the history of K5 is, how much of an influence Slashdot has been throughout its short history, and how the same features have been requested so often from the very beginning.

It's rare that any organization's history is preserved in such detail, and that makes K5's history even more special.

There is a lot of text here, but I found the earlier half of the first three sections to be the most illuminating.

Hearty Congratulations to the K5 crew for the work you did and the community you helped foster.

The real congratulations goes to all the contributors, who made it worth doing, and who proved that a site edited by the readers is not a pipe dream. Thanks, everyone. --rusty

This has been by far the most fun, bizarre, stressful, interesting, strenuous, and cool year of my short life. Thank you all, and let's make 2001 even better. :-)

--R

o Kuro5hin
o I Won't Be Home For Christmas
o interiot
o --> [first month of posts, a search snapshot]
o Review: The Infamous Slash Code
o Scoop Debuts
o Scoop Update (Now With Extra Tarball!)
o What About Slash 0.9?
o New Features
o What Now?
o The Great Experiment
o The Root of all Evil?
o sid=modera tion
o RFC: So, you wanna be a columnist?
o (Constant) State of Kuro5hin
o Auditing kuro5hin
o K5 Stuff, Designed by You
o K5, Inc. and California Dreamin'
o How to Manage Advertising on K5?
o eWeek gives positive review of kuro5hin.org
o K5 Store, Open for Business
o Kuro5hin - Bitter and Hopeful
o Mail Bombing Attack
o The Fun Never Stops
o Welcome Back!
o When script kiddies attack (or admins screw up)!
o IRC Forum: No holy wars, no MSN, and enough about Slashdot already
o New Feature: Diaries
o 10,000th Confirmed User and Blankets for K5!
o What's the point?
o Kuro5hin.o rg Needs a Mission Statement
o Criticism of /. -- Film at Eleven.
o Who Are You?
o Navel gazing: Discussion of discussion
o k5 Bootcamp (or Why k5 is not /.)
o To Live Is To Die / The Real Slashdot Effect
o Looking beyond your nose
o Who Are You, Part 2
o Do we have a sense of humor?
o Gypsies in the palace...
o shameless plug, lowerbound of taste? Film at 11.
o Peer Review of Articles
o A Rant About Rants
o The case for discrimination and politics
o Rumors and Assumptions as News?
o MLP vs. Advertising
o Legal Implications of Troll-Bashing
o Mass-debat ing all over the Net
o Suggested change to moderation
o Rating The Rating Scale
o Abuse of Comment Ratings
o Accountabi lity in Ratings
o Feature request: Story editing
o Being more positively negative
o Edit/Cance l own story option required?
o Things about stories...
o Reposting stories
o kuro5hin.o rg's moderation process ineffective?
o Submission Queue and Story Moderation Issues
o Story Moderation Changes
o More stories need to make it to the front page
o What should we do with the queue?
o Submission voting trends
o meta-scori ng: collaborative article rating
o Scale back on the front-page activity.
o Fear and Loathing on K5
o Short does not necessarily mean DUMP
o Debates and Discussions in Internet Forums
o Should we moderate story submissions before posting them?
o Post more articles to the front page
o Fixing Kuro5hin's Story Selection
o Sections Without Borders
o Separate "Forums" section?
o Articles That Cross Categories?
o "Announcem ents and Brief Mentions" page for K5
o I can't stand the sections!
o Suggestion : "Best of" or "All-Time Classics" of kuro5hin
o Suggestion : automatically bar all Meta submissions from the front page.
o K5 News
o What is MLP?
o Promoting quality discussion on K5
o Cross-sect ion 'New Stories' option needed?
o Personally customized Front Pages
o Kuro5hin, now you can read it from across the room
o User I18N
o Darkness optional
o A Customizable Front Page: Do You Want It?
o We the People of Kuro5hin.org... [constitution]
o Giving cyberspace a voice.
o Voices From a Slashmouth
o kuro5hin.o rg réouvre ses portes
o Kuro5hin.o rg vuelve a estar en línea
o Kuro5hin.o rg öppnar igen om en timme
o Kuro5hin renaît de ses cendres
o KuroDot.Or g Taken Down Following Massive "Lack of Interest" Attack
o Also by rusty

K5, A One Year Retrospective | 50 comments (50 topical, editorial, 0 hidden)
About the poll (3.57 / 7) (#1)
by jacob on Thu Dec 21, 2000 at 03:44:26 AM EST

Does anybody have a good idea of what UID's correspond to what time intervals? I guessed that I had been here 4-6 months, but then I discovered my UID was 538 so I've probably been here longer than that.

On an unrelated note, I think that we should all give Rusty and company a big hand for making such an interesting web site. Thanks. Y'all rock.

"it's not rocket science" right right insofar as rocket science is boring

--Iced_Up

yup, longer than that... (3.50 / 2) (#4)
by evilquaker on Thu Dec 21, 2000 at 04:00:18 AM EST

I've been here exactly six months (bookmarked the site June 21, created my account June 22), and I'm UID 2899. So that puts you here probably a few months earlier.
"Die, spork user! And burn in fiery torment!" -- Handy, the Handpuppet of Doom
Wow (4.50 / 4) (#5)
by rusty on Thu Dec 21, 2000 at 04:02:02 AM EST

538 means you'd be in the 10-12 month slot. That's pretty low. As of Mid-july, we were around 4000.

____
Not the real rusty
User Stats (3.00 / 1) (#12)
by x00 on Thu Dec 21, 2000 at 07:18:55 AM EST

I've been here a long ole time myself (I ticked the 10-12 months poll option), and I'm kinda curious to see whether any user stats have been kept?

Do you know when a user registered? Is that kept in scoop? Or do you have even a manual record of how many people created accounts over any period of time?

While I'm typing my one of the few comments I ever post, I'd like to wish Rusty, Inoshiro and the gang congratulations on a sucessful, and eventful year and to ask, is Things I Learned from the RustyCam ever going to come back live as its still on my hotlist after all this time.

Hey... (none / 0) (#37)
by rusty on Thu Dec 21, 2000 at 05:43:35 PM EST

I think you are second only to Paul Dunne (#12) in "lowest UID of a still-active user". And I haven't heard from Paul in ages, so I don't know if he still counts as active... You out there Paul? Got any more book reviews for us? :-)

Looking back, what on earth made you sign up for an account when you did? I mean, at the time, we had squat going for us, really. I was extremely surprised that anyone bothered to make an account when they were first able to. We were still running Slash back then, even.

____
Not the real rusty

Signing up... (not conscripted) (none / 0) (#40)
by x00 on Thu Dec 21, 2000 at 07:01:49 PM EST

If memory recalls, I first found Kuro5hin on a link from rusty's sig on Slashdot. At the time I had a slow job, and had way to much time to surf, and I came accross the site.. From what I saw, while the site wasn't exactly busy, but the stuff that was here I liked and so I signed up.. partially to show my support, but also because I just had way too much time.

From that day it got carefully wedged between my web comics and my browse through the Slackware forums where it still is today.

As for running Slash, I don't remember that, but I do recall the different design, and the different picture of the Tacoma Narrows bridge :)

I noticed you carefully avoided the answer to when the Rustycam is coming back, though!

Active? (none / 0) (#46)
by chrisbolt on Fri Dec 22, 2000 at 09:09:58 AM EST

What do you consider an active user? Is that just the lowest ID of anyone you've seen post lately, or could there be people with even lower IDs still lurking without posting, like I usually do...

<panner> When making backups, take a lesson from rusty: it doesn't matter if you make them, only that you _think_ you made them.
Oops (4.00 / 1) (#19)
by jacob on Thu Dec 21, 2000 at 10:10:36 AM EST

I guess that puts me in the category of people who are hopelessly ineffective at estimating durations... sigh. At least I got the decade right. But who am I kidding, that's probably just because there wasn't a poll option for "146-148 months."

Or maybe it just means I need more coffee. Yes! Yes, that's what it means!

"it's not rocket science" right right insofar as rocket science is boring

--Iced_Up

You sure about that? (none / 0) (#41)
by fluffy grue on Thu Dec 21, 2000 at 07:56:24 PM EST

I'm UID 306. I showed up on March 1 (9 months ago), according to my first (infamous) post. I think your temporal estimations need a bit of adjusting, FeO2. :)
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Maybe (none / 0) (#42)
by rusty on Thu Dec 21, 2000 at 09:00:04 PM EST

You might be right. I don't remember much, other than #2 was last December, #4,000ish was mid July, and #10,000 was a few days ago. :-)

____
Not the real rusty
UID? (3.00 / 1) (#9)
by Refrag on Thu Dec 21, 2000 at 06:24:19 AM EST

I don't even know where to find my UID. :)

Refrag

Kuro5hin: ...and culture, from the trenches

You're user #8064 (4.50 / 2) (#10)
by spiralx on Thu Dec 21, 2000 at 07:02:09 AM EST

If you look at any comments you post then your UID is in the URL for the "User Info" link in the comment header. I don't think it's available anywhere else...

You're doomed, I'm doomed, we're all doomed for ice cream. - Bob Aboey

It's also in the diary link (4.00 / 1) (#15)
by 11223 on Thu Dec 21, 2000 at 09:22:32 AM EST

I'm 7351, after signing up rather late. Oh whell. As time goes on, that'll turn into an attractive low UID, I'm quite sure of it :-P

The dead hand of Asimov's mass psychology wins every time.

Heh heh (none / 0) (#23)
by Captain_Tenille on Thu Dec 21, 2000 at 01:24:16 PM EST

I was ashamed of signing up too late, but I did get a cool UID. It's high now, but rather aesthetically pleasing.
----
/* You are not expected to understand this. */

Man Vs. Nature: The Road to Victory!

Indeed. (none / 0) (#26)
by 11223 on Thu Dec 21, 2000 at 02:08:18 PM EST

And like I said, in a year or two you'll have an amazingly low UID, and everybody will worship you :-P.

The dead hand of Asimov's mass psychology wins every time.

Let's see... (4.00 / 3) (#13)
by Phil the Canuck on Thu Dec 21, 2000 at 08:50:18 AM EST

I signed up immediately post-DoS, and I'm around 4000.

------

I don't think being an idiot comes with a pension plan though. Unless you're management of course. - hulver

Who's fibbing? ;) (3.00 / 1) (#16)
by codemonkey_uk on Thu Dec 21, 2000 at 09:30:01 AM EST

Its just a thought, but couldn't the answers to the poll have been calculated automatically?

And as peoples answers are logged, countn't we work out whos pants are on fire?

Mine might be. I took a guess at 4 months, but I'm not sure.

Thad
well, if you wanted ... (3.66 / 3) (#18)
by jacob on Thu Dec 21, 2000 at 09:59:35 AM EST

... and had access to the user database, I imagine you could just straight-up compute a distribution of how long people have been here-- it's a simple enough distribution to compute. But what would be the fun of that? =) (Oh, and it might be difficult to find the distribution of active members that way. Anybody know if Scoop keeps around a log of "last log-in time" or anything like that?)

"it's not rocket science" right right insofar as rocket science is boring

--Iced_Up

Actually... (4.00 / 1) (#36)
by rusty on Thu Dec 21, 2000 at 05:39:05 PM EST

Yeah, I guess you could look at the votes and take a guess. Although it doesn't say whether you should count when you started reading, or when you made an account, so no guarantee of accuracy.

Also we don't actually track when accounts were created. Yes, I know there ought to be a timestamp in there, but there isn't. Just a thought, why don't DB's automatically track "created" and "last modified" dates for records? Doesn't that seem like something you nearly always want to have eventually? Seems silly that you have to always add columns for that-- why not just have a "table type" that lets you turn on automatic record timestamping?

____
Not the real rusty

Why no logging? (none / 0) (#50)
by fridgepimp on Wed Dec 27, 2000 at 09:53:39 AM EST

Performance.

For some tables, I don't really care. Also, when you examine many of the design decisions made for MySQL and other 'high-speed' low-concurrency databases, you'll see how many of the performance improvements wouldn't be possible if this sort of tracking was done on the record level.

And, if you advocate doing it selectively on a table by table basis, that isn't much different than incorporating it into your schema in the first place (you still have to think about it). The problem there though, is that you would have to deviate from standard SQL to get the info.

Some higher end database systems DO have decent auditing (mainly for transaction and data integrity purposes) systems but the data isn't necessarily easy to extract (especially through SQL). -fp
Lighten up.

Easy way to tell how long you've been active (3.00 / 1) (#24)
by Anonymous 242 on Thu Dec 21, 2000 at 01:55:42 PM EST

My UID is 242, The first comment I made was on Feb 21st, 2000 05:13:26 PM. Just search through your user comments and look at the time stamp on the first one. Anyway, assuming that I posted soon after confirmation of my user id registration, three digit UIDs are in the ten month range.

at the risk of sounding REALLY stupid (5.00 / 1) (#27)
by el_guapo on Thu Dec 21, 2000 at 03:03:19 PM EST

how does one see their UID?
mas cerveza, por favor mirrors, manifestos, etc.
on how one can find one's UID (none / 0) (#28)
by Anonymous 242 on Thu Dec 21, 2000 at 03:40:03 PM EST

I wouldn't consider your question stupid if this and this weren't in the same thread.

If you don't want to follow the links, the answer is to view one of your comments and look at the link in the title box of the comment. The (User Info) link contains the UID. Pretty non-obvious. The UID also shows up in the link from your user info page to your diary.

For el_guapo the magic number is 4381.

2203 (3.20 / 10) (#2)
by inpHilltr8r on Thu Dec 21, 2000 at 03:49:19 AM EST

The number of diary entries >exactly< equals the number of stories submitted? Are you sure your stats are right?

I guess it's possible, but it don't half look suspicious.

Oops (3.66 / 3) (#3)
by rusty on Thu Dec 21, 2000 at 04:00:02 AM EST

You're right. I must have mis-pasted. It should be updated now.

____
Not the real rusty
Hmm... (3.33 / 3) (#6)
by inpHilltr8r on Thu Dec 21, 2000 at 04:06:34 AM EST

...I guess that should have been classified as Editorial. Can you fix that as well? ;)

actually, no (3.66 / 3) (#7)
by rusty on Thu Dec 21, 2000 at 04:22:05 AM EST

Well, yes, I could, but no, it's not worth the effort. :-)

____
Not the real rusty
Congrats (3.83 / 6) (#8)
by Beorn on Thu Dec 21, 2000 at 05:00:30 AM EST

On behalf of .. well, me, I'd like to thank Rusty, Inoshiro and anyone else involved in maintaining k5 for the great job you're doing. Kuro5hin proves the very controversial theory that whenever two or more nitpickers and loudmouths are gathered on the net, they won't necessarily behave like complete morons.

I would never do anything like this myself, I've been depending on people like you for years. So, from the bottom of my heart, thank you.

- Beorn

[ Threepwood '01 ]

More kudos! (3.75 / 4) (#14)
by Phil the Canuck on Thu Dec 21, 2000 at 09:06:14 AM EST

I suppose there's a huge potential for thank you posts in this article, so I'll confine mine to this thread.

I was a pre-DoS lurker, and only realised how much I liked the site when it was gone. I signed up for my account the minute that I knew K5 was back, and it's become a great part of my daily routine.

In addition to the admins that Beorn mentioned, I'd like to thank every K5 user who has added to the signal here. That's the vast majority of you, I'd imagine. Rusty & crew have provided us with a forum, and the quality of input has been incredible, IMO.

------

And on my birthday, too! (3.00 / 6) (#11)
by Matthew Bafford on Thu Dec 21, 2000 at 07:15:13 AM EST

I have no idea how long I've been with Kuro5hin, but I think moving here was the best move I've ever made. :)

Thanks, rusty, for all of your hard work! Thanks Kuro5hin for making it what it is!

Oh, and happy birthday to me! :P

--ydant

Crap. (3.00 / 3) (#17)
by interiot on Thu Dec 21, 2000 at 09:56:31 AM EST

The part of the story that I contributed was supposed to be a fifth as long. I mis-remembered the anniversary date as the 22nd, so the text is still a work in progress. I basically wrote down all possible ways to introduce it, and I was going to trim it back before posting.   ;)   Oh well.

Sorry about that (none / 0) (#35)
by rusty on Thu Dec 21, 2000 at 05:36:22 PM EST

I recalled you saying that basically I could do what I wanted with it, but we haven't emailed in a while. It looked done enough to me. :-)

____
Not the real rusty
Congratulations, kinda (4.40 / 5) (#20)
by sugarman on Thu Dec 21, 2000 at 10:23:51 AM EST

First off, congratulations to rusty on his 1 year anniversary. The funny thing is that I was thinking about a k5 summary last night for an entirely different reason.

You see, its been a rather tumultuous week here on k5, what with the 10,000th user and all. But it has been busy here for other reasons as well. Our biggest story every has been streetlawyer's Why Freedom, currently sitting at around 271 comments. A couple other recent articles are at or around the 200 mark, and 100 seems to be the average for a decent front-page post. k5 is busy like it's never been busy before.

All this business hasn't been without a price, though, as the trolling has begun in earnest, and unfortunately, the story moderation system has not always been up to the task in filtering them out. Rusty has been criticized over his editorial decision to modify a story based on a dirty word, and there was some division in the community because of it.

Also, there has been an influx of the slashdot crowd, especially some of the more visible / vocal members. There has actually been a good thing, IMHO, as more people == more discussion, generally. Between the diaries, the front-page, #kuro5hin, etc., k5 has become a very busy place.

In fact right here, right now, k5 feels almost like slashdot did 2+ years ago (pre-moderation). There is a lot to talk about, and the trend of a herd groupthink has not yet reached the same level as it has on the other site. There is still a chance for a dissenting opinion to be heard. And that's a good thing.

So happy birthday, k5. Congrats rusty, and Inoshiro, without who no poll would be complete. May the next year be as eventful and exciting as this one. Or, as the old curse goes: "May you live in exciting times."

--sugarman--

Wrong (4.40 / 5) (#21)
by spiralx on Thu Dec 21, 2000 at 10:41:26 AM EST

The biggest story on kuro5hin so far was Roundtable with Libertarian Presidential Candidate Harry Browne which managed to garner an impressive 469 comments - about what an above-average /. story would get. Admittedly the format for that story was somewhat different to most k5 stories, but it's still head of the league.

But yes, I shall add my lame pro-Rusty comment here, "you go girl!". Over the last 10/11 months or so since I came here and got an account, it's definitely become a very interesting place with some top stories and discussion.

You're doomed, I'm doomed, we're all doomed for ice cream. - Bob Aboey

No, man, it's all you (5.00 / 1) (#39)
by rusty on Thu Dec 21, 2000 at 05:49:02 PM EST

It's no use thanking me. Everyone knows that jesu^H^H^H^Hspiralx is the real "Reason for the Season".

Seriously, as I've said a million times. I try to set the general tone, but you (plural) make the site worth reading. You all rock.

____
Not the real rusty

How'd I get in there? (4.25 / 4) (#22)
by gauntlet on Thu Dec 21, 2000 at 11:34:58 AM EST

I would just like to indicate my utter surprise and humility in response to finding a diary entry of mine in the above article. Gauntlet's Editorial Guide to Proper Posting was a diary entry I made, and one person replied to. The reply was editorial, on my spelling. :)

My point is, interiot must have done a LOT of reading to even come across that particular diary entry. The amount of work that this took on his part is remarkable, and I'd like to thank him.

Secondarily, after having gone through all those articles and diary entries, choosing mine as a representative of K5's history, values, and aspirations... even if interiot is the only person that thinks so... Well, I certainly appreciate it.

Merry Christmas

Into Canadian Politics?

Content free "Me Too" post (5.00 / 1) (#30)
by Skippy on Thu Dec 21, 2000 at 04:15:27 PM EST

Warning: Me Too post!
  • One of the stories I submitted showed up. Very weird to see something I submitted (especially since I do it VERY rarely) pop up in a retrospective.
  • Thanks to all the K5 ops for the hard work and a place to call home.
  • Wow. I ended up with UID 215. I always wondered where you could find that out.

One thing I didn't notice mentioned was when the bridge went from a photo to the vector art we have now. Did that happen at Kuro5hin, now you can read it from across the room? I seem to remember it being before that. Maybe someone knows.

• Graphics... (4.00 / 1) (#38)
    by rusty on Thu Dec 21, 2000 at 05:45:12 PM EST

I don't remember exactly when the new logo appeared. I think it may have been around that time though. There's been a lot of layout monkeying over time-- I actually wish I had kept screenshots of the old designs to compare.

Look for more logo changes coming pretty soon, BTW. :-)

____
    Not the real rusty

Another contest then, too? (3.00 / 1) (#47)
    by Skippy on Fri Dec 22, 2000 at 11:04:05 AM EST

Does that me we'll have another "design K5 stuff" contest? Last time I didn't have the time or resources to contribute. Now I have enough of both and am itching for a chance to implement my idea. :-)

Editorial guide (5.00 / 1) (#34)
    by rusty on Thu Dec 21, 2000 at 05:34:33 PM EST

I actually never saw that diary. I was impressed, too, and I'm glad interiot included it.

And, yes interiot did a huge amount of reading for this, and I probably never would've done it all, so he deserves all the credit for this time capsule. I, on the other hand, added a few things, and didn't really consult him on whether he felt it was done or not, so any blame there is for it rests with me.

Thanks again, interiot. :-)

____
    Not the real rusty

Out of morbid curiosity (4.00 / 3) (#25)
    by Elendale on Thu Dec 21, 2000 at 02:01:11 PM EST

This is for the k5 crew: Did you ever catch the bastard who took k5 down?

-Elendale

When free speech is outlawed, only criminals will complain.

In a word (5.00 / 3) (#31)
    by Inoshiro on Thu Dec 21, 2000 at 04:17:25 PM EST

No. Given the state of security at large on the internet, and the ahem state of administrators and proxies, it's hard to track this stuff down perfectly. I spent a lot of money on long distance calling places.

I think maybe 2 sites (out of 10 I called and 15 I emailed) actually bothered to change things around. One was a school whose NetNanny or somesuch proxy had been used to look at porn (to the point where their log drives had filled to 100% capacity, go Novel!), the other was a university in the US which promised to add acls.

If I can get enough backing, I hope to someday lead a pro-active security scan crusade along the lines of the pro-active anti-spam crusades. We go to your system, check it out for problems. If it has problems, we report them. It if's fine, we say that two. Then, depending on if the admins fix it or blackhole us, we blackhole them or add them to our periodic check whitelist. With proper consistent auditing, and the cooperation of admins, we can stamp our script kiddies. Unfortunately, on top of stupid ISPs, there are some ISPs are just there to block you from being able to get action done.

[ イノシロ ]
    In another word... (4.00 / 1) (#32)
    by Elendale on Thu Dec 21, 2000 at 05:31:41 PM EST

Sucky. You forgot the most irritating ISP of them all: this one. With all those pop-ups/banner ads you would think it was a pr0n site...

-Elendale

When free speech is outlawed, only criminals will complain.

Technically.. (5.00 / 2) (#33)
    by rusty on Thu Dec 21, 2000 at 05:32:11 PM EST

Well, technically I took the site down, so yeah, we caught that bastard. ;-)

As for the guy who made it necessary, no we didn't. Ino says: "it's hard to track this stuff down perfectly." I would've phrased that "it's hard to track this stuff at all, it's impossible to track it perfectly."

____
    Not the real rusty

Achtung! (5.00 / 2) (#29)
    by Inoshiro on Thu Dec 21, 2000 at 04:11:20 PM EST

Let's not forget the first story I posted which led to a security discussion, and eventually to my role as right-hand executor to Rusty's dictator :)

[ イノシロ ]
    With open arms (4.00 / 1) (#43)
    by unstable on Fri Dec 22, 2000 at 02:14:19 AM EST

Ever since i started coming here I have felt like I truly belong. If its posting a comment or sitting on #kuro5hin, There truely is a sense of bonding between the residents here.
    Rusty's dream was to create a online community better than any other, well Rusty... congratulations you have fullfilled that dream.

Thanks to rusty and all for making this place "home".

Reverend Unstable
    all praise the almighty Bob
    and be filled with slack

Happy Birthday !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (3.00 / 1) (#44)
    by Shoddy on Fri Dec 22, 2000 at 06:50:02 AM EST

Boys and Girls

I thought that I was getting a little long in the tooth when 'the other site' turned into a deep pool of ****. I just didn't get it ! But, then.........

Rusty and Co, Thanks so much. Since last Feb (I think, but I do smoke too much!) this site has been my life blood.

It does exactly what it says on the tin !!!

Keep it up guys !

MERRY MERRY MERRY X-MAS - I AM NOW GETTING ON A PLANE !

Cheers
    Stu
    NT = Nuisance Technology !
    Yey! (3.00 / 1) (#45)
    by boxed on Fri Dec 22, 2000 at 07:52:56 AM EST

I had no idea k5 was so young! I thought it had been running a few yeards before the DOS :P

Anyway, it feels really cool to have two of my own articles linked there. Thanks! Keep up the good work and get that "darkness" option up :P

Only 1 year!? (none / 0) (#48)
    by TheDude on Mon Dec 25, 2000 at 02:33:30 AM EST

Wow, I thought K5 was much, much older than that. No wonder my userid is as low as it is....even being my 2nd id here.

Anyways, rusty, I must congratulate you on K5's huge success after only one year! The quality, amount and substance of stories and readers here beats any other site on the Net, imo. Well, except maybe Smokedot, which I hope will be close to the state of K5 when it turns 1.

Thanks to all the K5 coders, and K5 readers, for this great site.

TheDude of Smokedot
    Drug Info, Rights, Laws, and Discussion
    Visit #smokedot on irc.smokedot.org

Hmm. (none / 0) (#49)
    by henrik on Tue Dec 26, 2000 at 06:28:19 PM EST

#118 here.. (only regret being that i just missed the <100 uids)

Tho i rarely post much much nowadays, k5 has become really amazing. Now, i only hope rusty wont have as much problems with the next magnitudal increase of users. Going from 100 to 1000 was ok, 1000 to 1e4 horrible (when exactly was the DoS?).. how much growing pains until we hit 1e5? I suspect scoop will have to be modified a bit to handle the constant trolling /. recieves.

My congrats go out to rusty, ino, and all the others aswell..

Akademiska Intresseklubben antecknar!

K5, A One Year Retrospective | 50 comments (50 topical, 0 editorial, 0 hidden)