Time to kill the MLP section

By itsbruce in Meta
Fri Jan 26, 2001 at 10:07:50 PM EST
Tags: etc (all tags)
/etc

As I write this, of the 26 stories in the queue 13 are MLPs. I don't think this is a coincidence. IMO, the confused nature of the MLP section guarantees that these stories will linger in the queue. If I'm right, scrapping the section will shorten the queue dramatically.

Nobody can agree what makes a good MLP. Submit a short one and many people demand a better write-up. Give a detailed write-up and they say "This should be a regular story. -1, rewrite slightly, resubmit in section X and I'll vote for it". These voices often win, meaning the same story can go through several rewrites before ending up somewhere - often not in MLP.

If everybody felt that way, it wouldn't be so bad. But there are obviously also plenty who like short and plain MLPs. Mix together them, the people who vote down MLPs because they don't like them and those who vote them down so they can be resubmitted (maybe elsewhere) and you have a recipe for a long stay in the queue.

While other stories may get stuck in the queue, it's usually for different reasons. Whatever else we may disagree about, most people here agree that a regular story should be well written-up and provide meat for discussion. The result is that most regular submissions go in - or drop out - faster.

So scrap the MLP section. End of a source of needless conflict. It's been far easier for us to reach consensus on the mimimum quality needed for a regular story than it is to agree on what makes a good MLP. If something has been written up well and well attract good discussion, it should go to a proper section. What is this doing in MLP? It should be in Culture. Good story, too.

If you can't think of something thought-provoking and interesting to write about a link you're submitting, stop. Don't submit it. This is a discussion site. Why should we take anything and everything? There's several other sites that do that just fine. It's the quality of the discussion that's supposed to count here. If you want random noise to soothe your brain, Enterfornone knows just the place.

If this means fewer stories are submitted - GREAT. Let's buck the trend of the century and do less with more care.

The clear thinkers among you will realise that there's another possible reason why there are so many MLPs in the queue: maybe more MLPs are being submitted than any other kind of story. Even more reason to drop the section: if we're getting more MLPs than anything else, we're losing focus.

Time to cut the crap and get back to what we do well.

I think we should
o scrap the MLP section 28%
o leave things as they are 28%
o have more MLPs 3%
o forget the MLPs, look how many stories Signal 11 has in the queue! 39%

o Kuro5hin
o this
o just the place
o Also by itsbruce

Time to kill the MLP section | 39 comments (37 topical, 2 editorial, 0 hidden)
Dump Meta instead (2.75 / 8) (#1)
by eventi on Fri Jan 26, 2001 at 04:10:24 PM EST

At least the MLPs are occasionally amusing

Occasional amusement is not the point (4.50 / 2) (#2)
by itsbruce on Fri Jan 26, 2001 at 04:14:41 PM EST

of this site. If you want random amusement, go read the diary section. It's not just occasionally amusing, it's frequently fascinating and it doesn't clog up the queue.

It is impolite to tell a man who is carrying you on his shoulders that his head smells.
Back to your Article Topic (4.50 / 2) (#16)
by eventi on Fri Jan 26, 2001 at 05:46:31 PM EST

Once again, I failed to qualify my statement.

Your gripe is about the Submission Queue... An MLP entry takes all of 5 seconds to vote on. Meta, and other sections require an actual read to decide. More often than not, the 5 Seconds/MLP are worth my while, and the 2 Minutes/Meta are not.

And rarely does an MLP make it to front. So ignore them once they're up, or vote them down.

But they don't go up (5.00 / 2) (#17)
by itsbruce on Fri Jan 26, 2001 at 05:49:45 PM EST

or down, they linger.

Why does this bother everybody so much? (none / 0) (#26)
by eventi on Sat Jan 27, 2001 at 12:21:57 AM EST

You've voted, so move on... There's no need to bother yourself with a clogged Queue. Or if you havn't, once it drifts past the point where I have to scroll, which incidentally is sooner now with the banners, it's outta sight, outta mind.

That *is* the problem (none / 0) (#32)
by itsbruce on Sat Jan 27, 2001 at 08:41:34 AM EST

Stories languish in the queue. Many people, who would see them and take active part if the story hit section/front page, ignore them and so miss a good discussion. By the time the story does make it onto the front page the issues have often been worked to death and no further discussion happens, just the occasional extra post sitting ignored by those who have moved on.

In addition, lengthy stays in the queue cause editorial catfights. Editorial comments are not supposed to live that long, the story should either tank (and then the author can use the advice to submit a better story) or be posted, in which case the editorials die. As it is, they linger and there are many who obviously don't understand the point of editorial comments and begin flamewars over them.

You shouldn't have to keep checking the story queue to see whether a good discussion is ever going to make it or will die. Hopefully the new rules will fix that.

Redefine MLP (3.57 / 7) (#3)
by CheSera on Fri Jan 26, 2001 at 04:17:35 PM EST

Rather than dump what I consider a valuable outlet for a certain type of story (short, simple, basically a "go look at this site" kind of thing) we should just redefine or re-empasize the already existing MLP defintion. I usually vote +1 section on any vaugely intresting MLP. Unless the link is broken, its really kind of hard to screw up a MLP.

Personally I haven't seen many "needs more writeup" comments on MLP stories. Think of it this way. If we drop MLP we'll end up just having those stories that would have gone to MLP get put somewhere else less appropriate, with only a slightly greater writeup at best. Anyway, although I agree we should alter the way we vote on MLP I don't think getting rid of the section will reduce the quantity of stories any, and will probably decrease the quality of those that do get posted.

============
**TATDOMAW**
============

Good (5.00 / 1) (#14)
by itsbruce on Fri Jan 26, 2001 at 05:24:33 PM EST

In which case, many more people will vote to dump them. Preferable to the current situation.

The real problem (4.20 / 5) (#4)
by ContinuousPark on Fri Jan 26, 2001 at 04:24:36 PM EST

Maybe the real problem is not that K5 is full of MLP but the fact that these stories, which we can't seem to agree whether they're post-worthy or not, are clogging the queue.

So I think we could have a different threshold for MLP. Maybe higher if the intention was to discourage people from submitting every strange link they come across; maybe lower to have more MLP (they can be pretty amusing without having any educational value) posted pretty quickly with just a few people agreeing on them.

Nononononono (5.00 / 1) (#13)
by itsbruce on Fri Jan 26, 2001 at 05:21:26 PM EST

So I think we could have a different threshold for MLP.

Simple rules good, complex rules bad. The fact that MLPs require extra rules (you're right about that) shows that they really are a bad thing®. Extra rules are a bad thing®, they distract from the discussion and make things unnecessarily complex. If you have different rules for MLP, why not for other sections?

The problem as I see it (4.33 / 9) (#5)
by shirobara on Fri Jan 26, 2001 at 04:27:56 PM EST

I think MLP is being interpreted too broadly, mostly out of convenience. That is to say, it's a lot easier to find a link to something interesting and noteworthy, write two sentences about it and toss it into the queue than it is to actually write an article containing more links and many sentences. The High Tech Invasion of Privacy, to me, is not necessarily a worthless story, but it's an example of a story that needed better treatment. On the other hand, Webcams for the Bandwith Impoverished is more like what I think MLP was intended for. I always saw it being as more of a kind of throwaway joke, the kind of thing that'd get linked to on the Useless Pages or the kind of thing your friend would tell you to look at.

So I don't think the problem is overuse of MLP. Instead I think it's the watering-down of MLP. It's started to mean any short story attached to a link, instead of something mindless.

Yes, but (4.50 / 2) (#11)
by itsbruce on Fri Jan 26, 2001 at 05:12:28 PM EST

This will always happen!. There are no rules about what kind of stories can be submitted, just the tradition and consensus that have grown over time. As long as all stories are treated the same, that consensus is clear - "Where's the beef? Give us a discussion!".

MLPs, otoh, are different in a way that is impossible to define and enforce. This will always cause confusion and dilution.

k5 is great at reflecting opionion and consensus. It is terrible at enforcing any rules but the simple mechanics of the Perl code (one of the reasons I like it here). To make MLPs work, you have to have rules to make it work. I don't see the need or the point to bend the k5 system to accomodate stories which IMO are not well suited to k5 in the first place.

No rules per se... (4.00 / 1) (#34)
by shirobara on Sat Jan 27, 2001 at 09:26:08 AM EST

From the FAQ:
MLP - this section is called "Mindless Link Propagation". It is for those really short articles that are barely a paragraph or two where the whole concept is to "follow a link" to somewhere else....It is basically pointing out that someone else's article is cool/worthy and that we should follow your link to learn more.

Now should that be expanded? Just based upon my own time here at k5 and what has historically made "good" MLP and "bad" MLP, I think it should be. I also think people should read the FAQ/lurk for a while/get the feel of a place before they jump right into posting, but as you see what I want is often ignored!

So as I see it:

• There is a very vague standard for MLP
  • There is a use for MLP (that is to say, I think there's a use for MLP, though perhaps you disagree)
  • People are abusing this use for MLP by making everything MLP which, to me, does lower the quality of the site

So I do think you've hit onto something, but I don't think getting rid of MLP altogether is it. Others have suggested different rating standards for MLP, which I kind of like the idea of, since it's kind of a different class of story, and it also gets the idea through that this is a different class of story.

(dilution...dilution...a word slips away from me and I think of all sorts of different words.. dehydration...denial...what is that D word? You have no idea how hard I was trying to think of that word for my original post!)

OK (none / 0) (#35)
by itsbruce on Sat Jan 27, 2001 at 11:56:44 AM EST

No problem with that. What do you think of this?

Hey, that's cool... (none / 0) (#37)
by shirobara on Sat Jan 27, 2001 at 06:08:51 PM EST

Interesting. ^_^

I concur.. (4.00 / 4) (#6)
by Zero Whitefur on Fri Jan 26, 2001 at 04:30:14 PM EST

I agree with (its)bruce. After actively moderating story submissions here for several months, I'd have to say that most of the stories I've voted -1 on were in the MLP section because I didn't feel they were appropriate to k5 and/or they wouldn't generate any reasonable discussion. Yes, MLP links can be good for a quick laugh, but that's about all. I fail to see anything insightful or discussion provoking about the great majority of them.

I believe eliminating MLP would increase the signal/noise ratio of this site to a considerable degree, as well as bring the submission queue to a more reasonable level, such that moderation doesn't take almost an hour to slog through 15-20 mostly MLP entries. Yes, MLP does has its place, but I do not believe k5 should be it.

Submit MLP as Comments? (4.00 / 5) (#7)
by digger on Fri Jan 26, 2001 at 04:33:44 PM EST

Maybe the problem is that MLP isn't really a story, it's a comment.

If instead of the current system an MLP "article" was posted as a comment to a pseudo-story (regularly culled by date, of course) it wouldn't have to be moderated - not in the story queue, anyway. The voting system could still be used to filter how many of the comments you saw.

| optimisation precludes evolution |
A standing Diary? (5.00 / 1) (#12)
by jabber on Fri Jan 26, 2001 at 05:20:54 PM EST

So the MLP section would then be a public diary - I actually like this idea a lot!

[TINK5C] |"Is K5 my kapusta intellectual teddy bear?"| "Yes"

I agree (5.00 / 1) (#15)
by _Quinn on Fri Jan 26, 2001 at 05:32:41 PM EST

Just have the MLP 'story' to which MLP comments are posted be renewed every day by the scoop code. I'm not sure if this is equivalent to making MLP a diary or not. :)

-_Quinn
Reality Maintenance Group, Silver City Construction Co., Ltd.
Quick Question (turned into long rant) (4.57 / 7) (#9)
by Wah on Fri Jan 26, 2001 at 04:38:55 PM EST

and I'll post it here instead of submitting a story. Does everyone try and rate every story they see?

I guess (because I'm too lazy to look it up) that the threshhold is based on the total number of registered users. Now if we increase the number of story submissions, while also increasing the number of votes it takes to get posted (because of new users), we will eventually end up with very few stories getting posted and a huge que. It seems that the system was designed to keep the number of stories posted to the site proper remain constant with an increasing number of posters and story submissions.

Is that what we want? I'm not sure, but I think the system we have now seems to be moving towards a stagnation point. I picked this off one of the many "fix k5" stories (*cough*), but I think we have to get more creative with the "Story Posting Algorithm" allowing stories to get posted with a certain percentage of positive votes, once a quorum (fixed number) of editors (i.e. everyone) has seen it.

There just isn't that much difference of opinion once the sample base gets high enough. The fringe (or alternative) viewpoint gets marginalized by the masses. Allowing the first people who see a story to vote it up, and not have to wait for the poeple like them that won't vote for another day or week, and their vote counts towards the quorum. This does allow constant que checkers to increase the real world power of their vote, but I see nothing wrong with that, as it will allow the most ardent K5'ers to direct the content of the site.

When you only have 10% of a population vote (as seems to be the case now) needing a 1% difference in Nay and Aye votes becomes difficult. It's much easier with 100% (of a quorum) voting.

So vote this story up and reply to this, or dangit, I'm gonna submit it. I think this (queue stagnation) is a serious problem. And now you have my .02 on it.
Fail to Obey?

What do you think of... (5.00 / 1) (#21)
by skim123 on Fri Jan 26, 2001 at 07:39:11 PM EST

multiple submission queues with a smaller post/dump requirement? For example, a special submission queue that has nothing but MLP (or Signal11 stories <grin>)? That way, MLP stories won't clutter up the main queue and those that are interested in them can vote on them still.

Check out this post of mine. I discuss partitioning k5 discussions/users/submission queues. This could be another optional feature by which a user could partition the submission queue... "Do not show me MLP stories in the queue," for example.

PT Barnum

this (none / 0) (#25)
by Wah on Fri Jan 26, 2001 at 10:30:08 PM EST

multiple submission queues with a smaller post/dump requirement?

That's possible, although I see some problems with this. Mainly an even bigger stuffed queue that takes even more time to read through. Another problem is deciding just how much smaller the post/dump should be.

Perhaps MLP needs its own rules, or its own threshhold. I'd say go with something like Diaries, but then we'd get huge amounts of repeats and general disorganization.

I like your idea for trusted users, groups, etc. It could get kind of tricky, though, but a simple "trust this user" checkbox that changes, say, the color of their username, would allow more personal identification. Maybe having this auto-hotlist their diary (or something) would also help keeping in contact with individuals in a very large group.

I like the idea of not (by way of checkbox) being able to see certain stories in the queue or just check off story moderation altogether. This might lower the threshhold enough that these stories can get posted or buried faster, as it would remove the people that never vote yet make the posting threshhold higher by their very existence.
Fail to Obey?

I keep saying this but here's a good place to... (4.20 / 5) (#10)
by SIGFPE on Fri Jan 26, 2001 at 05:11:46 PM EST

...repeat it. There is an excellent website for MLP. It's fark.com. I am not trying to promote it in any way. The discussion is generally pretty pathetic. But it does have damn good MLP. There is no point in having an MLP section on K5 unless it is better in some way or has some other unique feature. It'd be hard to better fark. So let's drop MLP from K5. Most stuff in MLP appears in fark.com first anyway. Many times in the past I have been tempted to post a story from fark on K5. But then I realised that if I did so I could easily post half a dozen stories a day clogging the queue.

Previously I have argued against voting against stories on K5 because they appear on slashdot. I hope people can see a difference. Topics other than MLP generate good discussion on K5 that is quite different to that on slashdot. But MLP stuff on K5 is no different to MLP stuff elsewhere.
SIGFPE

Well (5.00 / 1) (#20)
by skim123 on Fri Jan 26, 2001 at 07:36:07 PM EST

Maybe that's why MLP should stay here. Fark.com has crappy discussions on it... also, do the readers get to submit MLP/vote on it, or does the web master there pick and choose? I like MLP here... yes, if I'm in a real MLP-hungry mode I'll go hunting at fark.com or memepool.com, but I like MLP here too. I say leave it as it is...

PT Barnum

workable solution??? (4.69 / 13) (#18)
by reel_life on Fri Jan 26, 2001 at 07:09:40 PM EST

FACT #1:MLP stories have low number of comments.
FACT #2:MLP section has a higher rate of stories submitted to it.

WORKABLE SOLUTION: Since MLP articles are 'mindless' and links, why not make it similar to the diary section? Making them present, but not having to be voted on to be posted. This would drastically reduce the clutter to the submission queue, while not ridding ourselves of the section.

Just an idea.. but then again I might just be talking of my ass.

In any case, I kinda like the MLP section... helps me to mindlessly surf the net.

Madness takes its toll on everyone. Please have exact change.

RE: workable solution??? (none / 0) (#24)
by Mojo JoJo on Fri Jan 26, 2001 at 09:56:42 PM EST

Great idea!

I've gotta agree with you. For the most part I like MLP, but it is kind of annoying to find a bunch of them sitting in the queue and no real stories.
____

SkyNet told me to tell you that Google is watching you. - CheeseburgerBrown

exactly--- (4.00 / 1) (#30)
by reel_life on Sat Jan 27, 2001 at 07:32:24 AM EST

I think it might also be a solution that wouldn't take a tremendous amount of effort to implement.

On a side note, I see lots of people whining about this or that about kuro5hin, but very few seem to offer solutions to the problems they are whining about.

I'd like to see the MLP section stay, but I too am finding myself overwhelmed by the number of MLP stories submitted.

Madness takes its toll on everyone. Please have exact change.

Good idea (none / 0) (#38)
by uweber on Sun Jan 28, 2001 at 08:53:12 AM EST

But I guess this would inflate the MLP section even more so it should deffinitly not show up on "everything" because then it becomes useless to find good articles without clicking through all the sections.

MLP (4.00 / 5) (#19)
by enterfornone on Fri Jan 26, 2001 at 07:31:50 PM EST

Personally I think anything where I have to click on a link to understand what the story is about should be MLP. Of course other stories have links, but these aren't usually essential to the understanding of the story.

I think MLP has it's place, but I think people need to stop using it for "cool site of the day" stuff. There is nothing that says MLP should not be about technology and culture discussion, just like every other section here.

efn 26/m/syd
Will sponsor new accounts for porn.
Where's the problem? (3.75 / 4) (#23)
by Delirium on Fri Jan 26, 2001 at 08:07:55 PM EST

It seems the "problem" is that:

1) Lots of MLPs are being submitted
2) Kuro5hin readers/voters are not voting these down out of the queue

While you may disagree with the voting of other k5 readers, I don't see how this presents a problem. If people did not want the MLPs, they would vote them into oblivion. If we continue to vote them up, I don't see any justification for you deciding that the section needs to be done away with because you personally disagree with the outcome of the voting.

Voting on MLP's (3.00 / 1) (#27)
by SlydeRule on Sat Jan 27, 2001 at 12:40:11 AM EST

If people did not want the MLPs, they would vote them into oblivion.
Oh, if only they'd vote them one way or another.

Right now, there's one that's been in the queue for five days. 750+ votes later, it's sitting with a score of 5. Maybe we should have Florida do a recount, then bring in the US Supreme Court to finally decide this thing.

Most of the time, I don't know what to do with rating an MLP. Judge it based on whether it's topical (tech/culture)? Whether it'll generate discussion? Whether it's cute? Whether it's personally interesting to me?

So, I usually give them a 0. Which makes me part of the problem, doesn't it?

Here (none / 0) (#31)
by itsbruce on Sat Jan 27, 2001 at 08:15:44 AM EST

If people did not want the MLPs, they would vote them into oblivion.

As I carefully went into in my story, there's a conflict of views about what constites a good MLP. The result of that conflict makes stories hang in limbo. For example, my story was accepted within a couple of hours of being posted, with only about 150 votes cast. In contrast, there was - until the new rules killed it - a story with the title "You gotta love MLP" which had approaching 900 votes cast but a score that fluctuated between -1 and 10, eternally.

I would suggest that the rapid voting up of this story indicates that quite a few people share my opinion. It's an issue that has been raised in comments often in the past. I submitted this story after a lot of thought and in response to a perceived problem with the story queue, not to get my personal preferences on voting enforced.

Your statement is insulting and thoughtless.

Make it expensive yet rewarding to post MLP (3.00 / 1) (#28)
by turtleshadow on Sat Jan 27, 2001 at 01:31:49 AM EST

My proposal:
When submitting MLP your computed rating is heavly "debted" to submit the MLP to a particular negative value; at which point the scoop system will no longer accept such posts from that UID for MLP.
When the MLP is voted in you get a rebate (not full) of the debted rating.

This rating is independent of by indexed to stories or comments as that could be abused by trustfunding types of activity -- preventing "post a provocative story post a lot of MLP" and transform to a good contributor can post MLP a bit more freely as they have an index higher than MLP spammers.
Make it so MLP takes guts & blood to submit and garners some meager glory if accepted by the community.
Turtleshadow

Users' voting doesn't necessarily say anything (4.00 / 1) (#29)
by jesterzog on Sat Jan 27, 2001 at 01:43:02 AM EST

I've seen a couple of people argue that if people didn't want MLP stories, they would be voting them down. I don't agree with this reasoning.

Lately I've been getting a bit bored of seeing so much MLP submitted. There are some very good MLP stories, but most of them seem to be stories that could be written up much better if the person submitting it could be bothered to put some time and effort into it. But I still won't vote it down if I think it fits in the section. To do so (in my eyes) would be like rating comments down because I disagree with them.

It's just irritating having to go into the story moderation, click on every new story, maybe read bits of it and then vote for 'don't care' or 'dump it'. No I don't have to do this, but then it gets annoying having lots of unvoted submissions on the moderation page.

If we don't dump MLP and people don't tone down their submitting of MLP stories, I'd quite like an option to completely ignore certain sections. Put a flag on them so they don't show up in the mod queue, and they don't show up on the front page or the everything page. If I could right now, I'd have MLP in my killfile.

jesterzog Fight the light

Suggestion: a Googlish diary-like Links section (5.00 / 3) (#33)
by itsbruce on Sat Jan 27, 2001 at 09:06:13 AM EST

OK, several people have suggested a diary-like solution for MLPs. I think that's a good idea but I have an additional feature idea that I think would make it more attractive, which is why I'm starting a new thread and not just replying to someone's suggestion.

Here's how it goes:

• Just as with Diaries, you post your MLP to your personal "Your MLPs" section and the MLPs section shows a scrolling list of the recent MLPs.
  • In addition, you can add MLPs posted by others to your own list, so that you don't lose them. "Why not just bookmark them?", you might say. Answer: so others can see what you think is good, why else? "User X's links" becomes another entry in the User Info page.
  • Finally, adding someone's MLP to your list should have a Google-like effect on it (if you don't know, Google's rating system shows the most-frequently-linked-to results highest). So an MLP should gain a point for each person who has added it to their own links section. Then, when looking at the MLPs section, you could toggle between a chronological listing and a "Most-linked-to" listing - or have a seperate section that shows all MLPs that have been linked to at least once, in descending order.

What do you think? I always feel a bit guilty suggesting changes like this as I don't do Perl and can't help. If scoop were written in PHP I'd be up and coding.

MLP drives me bananas - it's what weblogs are for (none / 0) (#36)
by svanegmond on Sat Jan 27, 2001 at 12:30:13 PM EST

I can get my links propagated to me via Jorn Barger's weblog - http://www.robotwisdom.com .

K5 doesn't have to do everything.
-- Steve van Egmond http://svan.ca/
link to memepool! (none / 0) (#39)
by kellan on Sat Feb 10, 2001 at 09:56:00 AM EST

perhaps there is a different vision for MLP then the one currently in action. but as it stands, we have a heavy weight, unresponsive version of memepool.

why don't we simply have the MLP link in the navbar go to memepool, and then people who are looking for that kind of thing can be happy, and the submissions will eventually stop clogging the queue.

kellan

Time to kill the MLP section | 39 comments (37 topical, 2 editorial, 0 hidden)