I just subscribed to K5! So why don't I feel any happier?

By Scott Robinson in Meta
Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 10:14:22 PM EST
Tags: Kuro5hin.org (all tags)
Kuro5hin.org

I'm earning, ignoring taxes, eight dollars an hour of pure profit. My room and board are paid for by my parents. Thus, I'm shielded from the responsibilies of my time's worth; however, I would like to think I understand. I subscribed/donated/pledged $25.30 of my "hard earned money" to K5. Strangely, it's not the guilt remover it was made out to be. The subscription, that is, not the $25.30 I earned.

$25.30. It's an interesting number for all involved. Dividing the value of eight dollars an hour results in, I believe, a little over three hours of my time being worth a six month subscription. On the converse, rusty is working an almost thankless tech job combined with the overhead costs of operating a server and managing its bandwidth. 105 subscriptions multiplied by five dollars? The measly amount probably covers the monthly bandwidth and hardware costs - if that.

Meanwhile, back in my world, five dollars equates to a little over a half an hour of my "hard earned money." I spend, daily, well over the half on K5. With all these tabulations combined, it seems I'm getting one hell of a deal! Why shouldn't I send my five dollars a month in? rusty certainly is right, about the only thing the money is covering is my guilt.

Before you think I'm completely missing the point*, let me make one of my own: I didn't feel guilty. Using K5 without charge was a guiltless exercise for me. Moreover, I use lynx so I miss the advertising completely. What should have been a guilt ridding exercise was actually a happiness justifying experience.

Happiness. Roll the word around in your mouth a bit. Try to figure out its meaning. When you do, don't bother coming back because K5 will be long gone. Humanity has spent, arguably, the duration of its existence trying to grasp the concept and find reliable methods of producing the substance in bulk. For me, happiness is the word defining one of many sensations of more enjoyable than pain and less fleeting than orgasmic.

K5 is enjoyable for me. I have fun reading, writing, and occasionally debating on its forums. The totality of these experiences gives me a feeling of happiness. I'm not happy all the time and K5 doesn't have the ability to give me happiness without fail. However, for more than a half an hour a month, I keep coming back and using rusty's K5. With no contract, no tele-marketing, no advertising, and no guilt my "hard earned money" has been obtained.

I don't think anyone should ask for yours.

(* - I'm paying for a subscription. Go look it up .)

Why I subscribed?
o Guilt. 1%
o Happiness. 9%
o The content stupid! 4%
o It's cheap. 3%
o I haven't. 79%

o look it up
o Also by Scott Robinson

I just subscribed to K5! So why don't I feel any happier? | 27 comments (16 topical, 11 editorial, 0 hidden)
Buy vs Rent (3.75 / 8) (#1)
by onyxruby on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 01:52:29 AM EST

Money can't buy you happiness, but it does let you rent it by the hour.

The moon is covered with the results of astronomical odds.

Happiness is a pint of Ben and Jerry's at 3AM (4.50 / 6) (#3)
by rusty on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 02:21:05 AM EST

On the converse, rusty is working an almost thankless tech job

Now, that's a little strong. It's occasionally thankless, but usually extremely thankful. I mean, I work at home, I do what I enjoy, I play with software that makes me happy, I have no boss (not counting my wife). I can pay the bills (currently thanks to OSDN), and I keep warm and well-fed. You can't really ask for much more than that out of life.

Oh, and once in a while, someone calls up and interviews me for something. Which is just way too much fun. So it's like a little bonus on top of everything else.

Actually, we've cleverly sidestepped that problem by hosting at VHosting, who trade us bandwidth for that ad up there on the right. So the bills aren't bad. It's always a scramble to keep everything held together, but honestly, if it weren't, I'd get bored.

That said, you're right that subscriptions don't come near to covering my bills right now. But I've talked about that at great length elsewhere.

On the whole, I have fun. You shouldn't feel guilty. And thanks. :-)

____
Not the real rusty

Reverse psychology in the real world (4.00 / 2) (#4)
by The Larch on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 02:24:41 AM EST

Out of curiosity, is the "do not under any circumstances click here" approach actually yielding more subscribers?

Confusing... (none / 0) (#5)
by Scott Robinson on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 02:50:27 AM EST

It confused me when I was searching for the donation link. However, that feeling lasted only a few seconds.

Scott.

What else do I get? (4.25 / 4) (#6)
by darkbrown on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 02:51:56 AM EST

Can I switch the time format over to 24hr if I subscribe? I'll happily give you 3.43/month to be able to read posting times at a glance, for some reason the letters AM and PM on the end of times are always invisible when I try and glance quickly.

Slashdot? (5.00 / 1) (#24)
by J'raxis on Fri Nov 16, 2001 at 05:17:46 PM EST

Slashdot has a menu of available time formats for its users to choose from. K5 could go one better and let you set your own strftime(3C) formats in your display preferences, or something.

I prefer “%Y-%m-%d/%H:%M:%S,” in GMT.

— The ISO8601 Raxis

[ J’raxis·Com | Liberty in your lifetime ]

You Don't Have to Pretend (3.20 / 5) (#9)
by snowlion on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 04:12:42 AM EST

C'mon, rusty. You don't have to pretend to be one "Scott Robinson".

Don't think we're not on to you..!

{; D}= j/k

I still say K5 is a disease.

Map Your Thoughts
You are quite right (4.00 / 10) (#13)
by qpt on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 07:25:55 AM EST

I agree that it is important to provide some monetary recompense for any happiness one might receive, but I think that this idea can be properly applied broadly outside of kuro5hin.

For example, when you have just had an extra-special bout of lovemaking with your significant other, consider slipping a few dollars into his or her coat. I am sure that the cash will let your mate know just how much you appreciate him or her!

Similarly, there is no reason why the exchange of money for abstract values has to be limited to only happiness. Instead of struggling with words to express appreciation of a friend's loyalty, let your pocketbook do the talking. If you cannot quite seem to find a means of thanking your parents for their years of dependability and support, give their bank account a boost.

Remember, while not everything can be bought, there is nothing that cannot be paid for!

Domine Deus, creator coeli et terrae respice humilitatem nostram.

Monetary recompense (5.00 / 1) (#19)
by Scrymarch on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 12:33:57 PM EST

That's right. Everyone should feel that their whole being is valuable, not just the things they do for their day job. Make someone a gift economy harlot today.

I'm starting a tip jar immediately.

Money (1.00 / 1) (#27)
by vadim on Sat Nov 17, 2001 at 08:14:33 PM EST

I have to disagree. Real friends could become offended because they might think you're trying to buy them. Even when I tried to ask a friend how could I send her a gift, she said that she didn't want it, she just wanted to talk with me. And you know, that felt much better than any gift she could have sent me.

Of course, I'd still like to send her a gift, but it would be a well thought one. I see sending money like a demostration of how little you know that person, since unless s/he is in economical trouble, I'm sure you can pick a gift s/he'll appreciate much more.

I think getting something you really wanted always feels much better than "Here, buy yourself something because I didn't care to think what you might like"
<@chani> I *cannot* remember names. but I did memorize 214 digits of pi once.

Missing poll option (4.00 / 2) (#15)
by ucblockhead on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 10:53:55 AM EST

-----------------------
This is k5. We're all tools - duxup
Re: (4.00 / 1) (#20)
by Dolgan on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 03:46:46 PM EST

I have no ads on K5 anywhere. In fact, I have less ads than subscribers.

Just use Junkex in Linux, or Proximotron in Windows. It works wonders. I don't know why people (besides goody-two-shoes) still insist on living with ads.

Viewing ads (none / 0) (#23)
by simon farnz on Fri Nov 16, 2001 at 09:02:36 AM EST

I'm not bothered by ads; this is a fast connection (10Mb/s to the webcache, 155Mb/s to NorMAN, 34Mb/s to JANet), so the download time is not great, and occasionally they are interesting.

Especially when it comes to sites like K5 that I view regularly, I feel that the cost to me of viewing the ads is balanced by the benefits to the site owner. And come on, if you are on a fast link, it doesn't take much time to skip the ads if they don't catch your interest.

Of course, the above may not apply if you are on a modem (or even a cellphone, as I used to be).
If guns are outlawed, only outlaws have guns

Junkbuster (none / 0) (#25)
by J'raxis on Fri Nov 16, 2001 at 05:21:51 PM EST

There’s also Junkbuster, which is what I use. JunkEx sounds like it has more features (popup-killer, something Junkbuster does not do), but I’m sticking with Junkbuster as I’ve modified my copy (made the logging actually useful) quite a bit.

— The Proxying Raxis

[ J’raxis·Com | Liberty in your lifetime ]

Pleasure Justification (none / 0) (#16)
by Kaptiv8 on Thu Nov 15, 2001 at 11:25:52 AM EST

Although I agree with what I perceive the meaning behind this somewhat scattered post to be, I have a bit of an issue with this: a happiness justifying experience

Anyone's happiness or personal pleasures are precisely that - personal. Having to justify your happiness would be like having to justify your favourite colour. It's yours. End of story.

(cash value $.02)
If at first you -DO- succeed, please keep it to yourself : No-one likes a braggart!
Kuro5hin != good karma (none / 0) (#26)
by lvogel on Sat Nov 17, 2001 at 07:52:05 PM EST

On 11/8 I submitted money for my donation. The following day I was laid off. I would almost say that it's been good for my karma becausee of the generous severance package I got, but I'm still saying no because I still don't have a job yet. So we shall see...
-- ----------------------
"When you're on the internet, nobody knows you're a dog!"

-a dog