k5 Name Infringed by Homonym Squatters

By FuzzyOne in Meta
Tue Nov 20, 2001 at 09:08:49 AM EST
Tags: Humour (all tags)
Humour

Kuro5hin.org, fresh off the heels of being dumped by OSDN, suffered another major setback today as a federal court rejected a motion filed by the self-proclaimed leader in "technology and culture from the trenches" seeking a restraining order against CorrOcean, a a world-class provider of knowledge based solutions in monitoring technology, asset integrity and risk management. The court rejected k5's claim of 'homonymic squatting' and granted no relief to the embattled site.

K5 proprietor Rusty first found out about the homonymic squatters while planning for the financial future of the site after the impending kick in the pants early next year from OSDN. "The subscription idea was really going nowhere. Everyone was bitching about PayPal, and you know all those bastards who want us to accept Visa and MasterCard will be nowhere to be found when we actually shell out the 50 USD a month for a merchant account. So I had to find something else."

Coupled with the recent new features added to the Scoop codebase and implemented on the site, Rusty stumbled on a brilliant plan. "The site was just getting too hard to use and manage. Those same people bitching about PayPal were also bitching about the usability. And we're not financially solvent. Then it hit me, the answer to all our woes: Kuro5hin Training!" The plan would be to set up a roadshow where Rusty would travel around the US and Europe, offering seminars on the finer points of using Scoop and being part of the k5 community. "I had a few of the courses mapped out, like Advanced Trolling the k5 Way and If There's One More Goddamn Paranoid WTC Story I'm Going To Kill greenrd: An Anger Management Approach. Something was missing, though."

Frantically searching the web for ideas to flesh out his road to riches, Rusty was crushed to find that such a course of study already existed, and was enraged to find the similarities in the domain name of the company offering the course--CorrOcean. "They changed the spelling," he said, "but they totally stole our name." The course: Corrosion Training

"This is clearly an attempt to take advantage of our name and reputation built over the last few years," Rusty said outside the mostly-empty courtroom. "I mean, the judge said we could change our pronunciation to 'CUR-ROE-SHIN' or 'CUR-ROE-VHIN', and that no one knew how the hell to pronounce it anyway. It's just not fair."

"They've even gone so far as to claim to offer a wide range of flexible pipe monitoring offerings, but I've been monitoring a flexible pipe nightly for at least three years, ever since the JenniCam came online."

When contacted for a comment, Inoshiro replied "It's stunning. I mean, to help build this community only to have all our goodwill pirated by a bunch of seawater-swilling Norwegians. Words fail me."

Asked what he had planned after this latest setback, Rusty grew pensive. "I don't know," he said. "One of CorrOcean's lawyers talked to me during a recess in the proceedings and tried to make amends. Apparently CorrOcean is looking for a NDT-OPERATØRER/INSPEKTØRER. But I just know perl, and I don't know if I can 'Bruk av robotisert og automatisert NDT-utstyr for undervannsbruk'."

Arbeidsområdene vil omfatte:
o Bruk av tradisjonelle NDT-metoder, spesielt virvelstrøm- og ultralydteknikker 7%
o Visuelle inspeksjoner 11%
o Bruk av robotisert og automatisert NDT-utstyr for undervannsbruk 5%
o Oppgaver knyttet til installasjon og igangkjøring av nyutviklede løsninger for tilstandskontroll 21%
o Søket ga ingen treff. Vennligst prøv på nytt 53%

o Scoop
o Kuro5hin
o Kuro5hin.o rg
o being dumped by OSDN
o CorrOcean
o Rusty
o new features
o Corrosion Training
o flexible pipe monitoring
o JenniCam
o NDT-OPERAT ØRER/INSPEKTØRER
o Also by FuzzyOne

k5 Name Infringed by Homonym Squatters | 33 comments (31 topical, 2 editorial, 0 hidden)
Hmmm... (4.42 / 7) (#1)
by wji on Tue Nov 20, 2001 at 01:32:07 AM EST

kuro4hin.org [k5 lite] kuro6hin.org [k5, the next generation] slashdot.org [Deep Space Nine]

In conclusion, the Powerpuff Girls are a reactionary, pseudo-feminist enterprise.
"'Bruk av robotisert..." (5.00 / 1) (#3)
by p0ppe on Tue Nov 20, 2001 at 05:00:57 AM EST

"Bruk av robotisert og automatisert NDT-utstyr for undervannsbruk" == "The usage of robotized and automated NDT-equipment for underwater usage"

Hmm... maybe Rusty has some skills that are unknown to the average k5 user.

"Democracy is three wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner."
Probably Brett (5.00 / 1) (#9)
by wiredog on Tue Nov 20, 2001 at 07:55:12 AM EST

I hear she's the brains in the family.

If there's a choice between performance and ease of use, Linux will go for performance every time. -- Jerry Pournelle
poll translation (5.00 / 3) (#4)
by gromgull on Tue Nov 20, 2001 at 05:45:17 AM EST

Arbeidsområdene vil omfatte:
1 Bruk av tradisjonelle NDT-metoder, spesielt virvelstrøm- og ultralydteknikker
2 Visuelle inspeksjoner
3 Bruk av robotisert og automatisert NDT-utstyr for undervannsbruk
4 Oppgaver knyttet til installasjon og igangkjøring av nyutviklede løsninger for tilstandskontroll
5 Søket ga ingen treff. Vennligst prøv på nytt

Work-areas will include:
1. Use of traditional NDT methods, especially ultrasound and alternating currents (???)
2. Visual inspections
3. The usage of robotized and automated NDT-equipment for underwater usage
4. Tasks concerning installation and initialisation of freshly developed solutions for state-control.
5. Your search yielded no results, please try again.

Now the BIG question is: What is NDT?

If I had my way I'd have all of you shot

NDT (5.00 / 4) (#6)
by Sawzall on Tue Nov 20, 2001 at 06:16:28 AM EST

Non-Destructive Testing. Where you test to see if something is bad without destroying it in the test. X-ray, magnaflux, ultrasound, dye checking are the old standbys.

NDT (none / 0) (#29)
by triticale on Sat Dec 15, 2001 at 07:30:37 PM EST

Note that Magnaflux is a trademark. The generic term is magnetic (usually said as mag) particle inspection. You induce a magnetic field in an iron or steel object, either thru induction or direct application of current, then sprinkle a powder or spray a slurry of color coated iron filings. Any disruption of the surface produces a local magnetic field which collects the particles. Strictly speaking, what you have is an "indication" which is then subject to interpretation, but it is a very effective tool for finding some kinds of cracks.

Dye penetrant testing is typically used on non-magnetic components. You apply a colored liquid (I was used to using one which resembled transmission fluid) to the part, leave it for a predetermined time, then clean the part and apply a white "developer" powder. The dye would ooze back out of the cracks and give colored indications.

Cheap. (4.33 / 3) (#5)
by BelugaMyth on Tue Nov 20, 2001 at 05:45:33 AM EST

So that's how you pronounce kuro5hin.

Thank god for for the explicating force of the judicial branch.

Actually it's pronounced (3.71 / 7) (#7)
by johnny on Tue Nov 20, 2001 at 07:05:46 AM EST

Curr-oh-five-hin.

It has something to do with Anime.

yr frn,
jrs
Get your free download of prizewinning novels Acts of the Apostles and Cheap Complex Devices.

Nice try (5.00 / 2) (#16)
by ubu on Tue Nov 20, 2001 at 10:41:24 AM EST

Wrong. The 5 is silent, as in "Hen3ry". The correct pronunciation is Cue'-roe-hinn. It's a Celt word meaning "bloody wankers".

Ubu

As good old software hats say - "You are in very safe hands, if you are using CVS !!!"
Nice Try (none / 0) (#19)
by Smirks on Tue Nov 20, 2001 at 12:16:32 PM EST

Wrong. According to the FAQ it's pronounced kuroshin. The 5 makes an S sound. ;)

[ Music Rules ]
Yeah, but... (none / 0) (#20)
by minusp on Tue Nov 20, 2001 at 01:00:03 PM EST

...it still means "bloody wankers," right?
Remember, regime change begins at home.
kuroshin (none / 0) (#23)
by Delirium on Tue Nov 20, 2001 at 06:07:08 PM EST

According to the FAQ I read it's pronounced "corrosion" (which is similar, but not identical, to "kuroshin," at least how I pronounce it - I pronounce "kuroshin" as "kooh-roh-sheen").

I always thought... (none / 0) (#27)
by czar chasm on Tue Nov 20, 2001 at 09:17:55 PM EST

I always thought it was like "cure-oh-shin". Close enough to what I heard at the doctor's the other day "There a cure? Oh shit!"
-Czar Chasm
Bloo!
Men don't get it (5.00 / 2) (#10)
by mami on Tue Nov 20, 2001 at 09:03:56 AM EST

"I had a few of the courses mapped out, like Advanced Trolling the k5 Way and If There's One More Goddamn Paranoid WTC Story I'm Going To Kill greenrd: An Anger Management Approach. Something was missing though

Of course, something was missing. The price. I need that course and I don't go to cheap wannabe professional mental health corrosive "Anger Management Approach" classes, which don't cost a dime. Don't sell yourself short. The average hourly rate for Anger Management is $125.00 and that's no fuzzy math, Mr. FuzzyOne.

Ahem. (none / 0) (#24)
by Signal 11 on Tue Nov 20, 2001 at 06:30:01 PM EST

Most of the people voting -1 on greenrd stories are men. I assure you they 'get it'. :P

Society needs therapy. It's having
trouble accepting itself.
Uhh... hello? (2.66 / 12) (#11)
by Agent1 on Tue Nov 20, 2001 at 09:54:22 AM EST

They registered a domain name not at all similar to this site's in spelling or appearance. They use it for something totally different. Can someone tell me what the whining is about?

-Agent1
"Thats the whole point of the internet, to slander people anonymously." - Anonymous
Look at the icon (5.00 / 3) (#12)
by hardburn on Tue Nov 20, 2001 at 10:01:05 AM EST

Did you see the icon at the top of the story? The bannana. This is in the "humor" section; it's a joke.

----
while($story = K5::Story->new()) { $story->vote(-1) if($story->section() == $POLITICS); }

*oh* (4.66 / 3) (#18)
by Agent1 on Tue Nov 20, 2001 at 11:51:16 AM EST

Well, I probably could blame this on me being new... But the truth is I really didn't look. Sorry for overreacting a little and thanks everyone for pointing that out ;)

-Agent1
good ol' kuro5hin... (none / 0) (#26)
by GreenHell on Tue Nov 20, 2001 at 08:22:32 PM EST

Always ready to point out your mistakes, usually in a lage group (the number of people pointing them out, not the number of mistakes, although that happens too)

Just try making a spelling/grammar mistake around here and wait for them to really come out of the woodwork :)

-GreenHell
This .sig was my last best hope to seem eloquent. It failed.
Excuse me, (5.00 / 1) (#30)
by CaptainZornchugger on Sat Dec 15, 2001 at 09:20:36 PM EST

I couldn't help but notice that your first sentence was missing a period. Please pay more attention to such things in the future.

Look at that chord structure. There's sadness in that chord structure.
Excuse me, (5.00 / 1) (#33)
by cyberdruid on Mon Dec 24, 2001 at 12:29:10 AM EST

I couldn't help but notice that your post missed to point out that the original poster missed the "r" in "large".
There has been a shocking decline in the quality and quantity of pre-flaming research on kuro5hin. If nothing is done to rectify this in the immediate future, rest assured that I will cancel my subscription.

LOL... (none / 0) (#32)
by Agent1 on Sun Dec 16, 2001 at 07:10:23 PM EST

[nt]

-Agent1
Well.... (5.00 / 3) (#13)
by GreenHell on Tue Nov 20, 2001 at 10:01:16 AM EST

Look up, WAAAAAAY up... Look up to the top of the article. Notice the little banana in the upper right corner? Move your cursos over it and wait for the ALT text to appear (or just click the damn thing) Notice the category name? 'Humour' This is all a joke, which is also the reason the poll is in another language. Thank you, that is all.

-GreenHell
This .sig was my last best hope to seem eloquent. It failed.
Not looking like an idiot for dummies. (5.00 / 4) (#14)
by Surial on Tue Nov 20, 2001 at 10:02:30 AM EST

If an article seems funny or odd, check the logo. If it's a banana, refrain from querying the point of the article, and read it again. (banana = humour).
"is a signature" is a signature.

aside from the fact that it is humor (5.00 / 3) (#15)
by tralfamadore on Tue Nov 20, 2001 at 10:13:54 AM EST

do you know what homonym means?

Luvly article (4.00 / 2) (#17)
by Djinh on Tue Nov 20, 2001 at 11:12:25 AM EST

Just made my day :)

We are the Euro. Resistance is futile. All your dollars will be assimilated.
One little problem. (5.00 / 2) (#21)
by eann on Tue Nov 20, 2001 at 01:32:55 PM EST

The word you were looking for is homophone.

A homonym is a word that's spelled and pronounced the same, but means something different. "Fly", for instance, is a verb that describes motion through the air, but it's also an insect that can move in such a way.

$email =~ s/0/o/; # The K5 cabal is out to get you.

not according to Webster's (5.00 / 2) (#22)
by Delirium on Tue Nov 20, 2001 at 06:04:05 PM EST

According to Webster's Dictionary that's not the case:
homonym - n. A word having the same sound as another, but differing from it in meaning

homophone - n. A word having the same sound as another, but differing from it in meaning and usually in spelling

The only difference appears to be that homophone usually implies a difference in spelling, while homonym does not. But both describe pairs of words differing in meaning but not in sound.

Which Webster Is That? (none / 0) (#28)
by eann on Tue Nov 20, 2001 at 10:18:06 PM EST

When I wrote that, I only had my officemate's dictionary, and I can't cite that source right now. Here's what I found instead: homonym and homophone. The online definitions agree almost word-for-word with my really old Webster's Seventh New Collegiate Dictionary, published in 1969 by G. & C. Merriam Company, Springfield, Massachusetts.

This is also consistent with online definitions at Encarta (nym/phone) and American Heritage (nym/phone).

On the other hand, I'll grant that the article is not incorrect in its usage, merely imprecise, based on Webster's inclusion of homophone as a synonym of homonym. Their relationship is described in better detail in this entry at allwords.com, which quotes from Webster's unabridged dictionary.

$email =~ s/0/o/; # The K5 cabal is out to get you.

it's prounced (5.00 / 2) (#25)
by Banjonardo on Tue Nov 20, 2001 at 08:04:49 PM EST

it's pronunced kuuuur-oh-sheen

And it's Japanese for "Lustful Ferret."

It's in the FAQ.
I like Muffins. MOLDY muffins.

Hey, anyone can't see a joke (none / 0) (#31)
by ragnarok on Sun Dec 16, 2001 at 03:47:08 AM EST

in this has got to be joking!

So that's how kuro5hin is pronounced! Very, very kuro55iv, if you ask me!

"And it came to healed until all the gift and pow, I, the Lord, to divide; wherefore behold, all yea, I was left alone....", Joseph Smith's evil twin sister's prophecies