Happy birthday Kuro5hin

By erlando in Meta
Fri Dec 21, 2001 at 03:45:00 PM EST
Tags: Kuro5hin.org (all tags)
Kuro5hin.org

Today is Kuro5hin.org's birthday. Congrats Rusty, Inoshiro et. al.

Update [2001-12-21 11:28:30 by rusty]: If you're feeling nostalgic, or if you've just never gone way back, check out our first story ever.

Sponsor: rusty
This space intentionally left blank
comments (24)
active | buy ad
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday dear Kuro5hin
Happy Birthday to you

What flavour is the cake?
o Chocolate 58%
o Banana 23%
o Strawberry 2%
o Raspberry 15%

o Kuro5hin
o Today
o first story ever
o Also by erlando

Happy birthday Kuro5hin | 30 comments (29 topical, 1 editorial, 0 hidden)
Best wishes. (5.00 / 5) (#1)
by Tezcatlipoca on Fri Dec 21, 2001 at 10:42:56 AM EST

May K5 have many more years of uninterrupted service to come!

We shall not forget also the heroes that have perished during this endeavour. Special mention goes to Bubba. It will be sorely missed.
Sigintentionallysmalltosavebandwith.

Why the hell (1.50 / 2) (#2)
by greyrat on Fri Dec 21, 2001 at 11:00:32 AM EST

would you have a birthday on the day with the least sunlight? -- well or geeks I guess it dosen't matter.
~ ~ ~
Did I actually read the article? No. No I didn't.
"Watch out for me nobbystyles, Gromit!"

I don't know why you're complaining. (none / 0) (#3)
by ambrosen on Fri Dec 21, 2001 at 11:15:07 AM EST

I have a strong suspicion that you're less than 55° 55' N, so you don't know what shortest day means. Of course, I know that's hardly extreme, but it's so bloody dark. Only 6 hours 52 minutes of sunlight today.

Procrastination does not make you cool. Being cool makes you procrastinate. DesiredUsername.
Really bad solstice blues this year (none / 0) (#4)
by greyrat on Fri Dec 21, 2001 at 11:39:04 AM EST

It's been a suck fall. Just knowing that tomorrow will be "longer" makes me feel better, and I'm in a windowless office!
~ ~ ~
Did I actually read the article? No. No I didn't.
"Watch out for me nobbystyles, Gromit!"

Fair enough. (none / 0) (#6)
by ambrosen on Fri Dec 21, 2001 at 02:57:03 PM EST

Tomorrow will be Saturday, too. Which is making me very happy. I'm only feeling bitter and defensive because it was probably dark when I left work on the summer solstice, too (sunset well after 10pm, BST). Here's to next year and a 9 to 5 job which I like.

Lucky you... (none / 0) (#8)
by twodot72 on Fri Dec 21, 2001 at 04:24:55 PM EST

Only 3h 2min. for me :(

Well, thanks for answering. (4.00 / 1) (#9)
by ambrosen on Fri Dec 21, 2001 at 04:42:30 PM EST

It was saving me the embarassment of having written 1/3 of the comments on a front page article.

<penny drops>

Oh, wait, now I've got 3 comments out of 9.

Go on people, reminisce. Say how it's been a nice 15 months (the length of my current sojourn). We can all look back at some old articles. Remember Who are you? parts 1, 2 and 3. What about the first diary? Ah, the reminiscences. Is spiralx the only person to get fired for his K5 habit, or has it happened to others? Surely there's other things to remember.

Well, I remember... (none / 0) (#29)
by twodot72 on Sun Dec 23, 2001 at 06:38:53 AM EST

The first couple of times I checked K5 out, which was sometime b.d. (before DDOS). I thought "How uncool, like one new story every second day. Quickly back to slashdot!"

But for some reason I kept checking back every now and then, and things got radically better by fall 2000, which prompted me to become a semi-regular lurker :-)

Lucky *you* (none / 0) (#11)
by crayz on Fri Dec 21, 2001 at 04:48:41 PM EST

I guess I'm just weird. I like darkness. I like taking walks at night(at least where it's reasonably safe). I like days that are really cloudy or foggy. 2-5AM is my favorite time of the day.

You sound like my boss (none / 0) (#7)
by duxup on Fri Dec 21, 2001 at 04:18:41 PM EST

Me: "Website is all ready to go."

Boss: "Hold off."

Me: "Why?"

Boss: "Not enough sunlight."

ROFLMAO! (5.00 / 1) (#12)
by greyrat on Fri Dec 21, 2001 at 05:07:05 PM EST

I hadn't really thought of it in that context. Ouch! I guess I'd better go back and sit in the trenches a little longer #;^D
~ ~ ~
Did I actually read the article? No. No I didn't.
"Watch out for me nobbystyles, Gromit!"

My birthday too! (none / 0) (#18)
by abo on Fri Dec 21, 2001 at 07:39:47 PM EST

Hey, it's a great day for a birthday!

So my birthday coincides with that of K5? Nice. Next year I'll tell people to donate to K5 in my name instead of giving me presents. :)
-- Köp BRUX!

I KISS YOU (4.00 / 2) (#10)
by crayz on Fri Dec 21, 2001 at 04:45:16 PM EST

I think it's great that Kuro5hin keeps the old comments indefinitely. I can't count the number of times I have gone back to an old Slashdot story where I wanted to read through the discussion and, too bad, everything is "archived" into flat mode. And of course all the comments below Score:1 get deleted, which means the loss of a lot of very good comments, the inability to follow discussions at all, and the ability of the editors to rate to zero any posts they don't want saved.

*Please* never touch the Kuro5hin archives. Google was able to make that incredible Usenet archive because some people, because of forethought or just chance, saved those archives. Reading through what everyone thought of September 11th, *as it was occuring*, will be an amazing thing 20 years from now(in fact it is already).

Archiving (none / 0) (#14)
by rusty on Fri Dec 21, 2001 at 06:04:26 PM EST

I'm almost positive that someday (and likely someday soon) we're going to have to start archiving stuff. However, like you, I don't really like how Slashdot does it.

I think that when we do archive, it will probably be to a format like the printable pages, and will definitely have comments in nested mode. We'll probably drop comments rated less than 1, which would be equivalent to Slashdot dropping comments rated -1, which I feel is pretty reasonable. 0-rated comments are always crap, and there are so very few of them anyway.

Hopefully we can save the history of K5 somewhat more gracefully than a lot of sites do...

____
Not the real rusty

Eh?? (3.25 / 4) (#15)
by brunes69 on Fri Dec 21, 2001 at 06:44:52 PM EST

0-rated comments are always crap, and there are so very few of them anyway.

I find it quite ironic that as I post this reply, rusty's above comment itself has a 0 rating. As do many of mine. I really disagree with the view that these comments should be deleted, there are alot of very good comments that never get modded up, for a variety of reasons.

---There is no Spoon---
No no no! (5.00 / 1) (#16)
by rusty on Fri Dec 21, 2001 at 07:23:11 PM EST

Please don't confuse "0-rated" with "unrated". Comments marked "none/0" have no rating at all. Those would naturally be kept. Comments rated 0 have to be marked that way on purpose by a trusted user, and are also reviewed by other trusted users.

See the FAQ for more on how this all works.

____
Not the real rusty

why archive? (5.00 / 3) (#17)
by Delirium on Fri Dec 21, 2001 at 07:39:00 PM EST

I'm not sure I understand the need to archive. The only reason to archive comments that I can see would be to make database access faster, as the DB is smaller. But for a good DB system there won't be any speed difference anyway, as unused portions of the DB should not slow down often-used ones (that's the whole point of using a DB instead of, say, searching flat text files like UltraBB does). But even if you need to reduce the DB size, why not split the DB into a "current" DB and an "old" DB...the old DB may be huge, but as 99% of access will be to the new DB that shouldn't make much difference. And hdd space is cheap.

Not true! (5.00 / 2) (#19)
by core10k on Fri Dec 21, 2001 at 07:45:26 PM EST

I've had several of my non-crap posts rated to 0 because they were highly controversial, and I'm sure I'm not the only one... if you're going to archive, archive everything!

Uh huh (4.20 / 5) (#20)
by rusty on Fri Dec 21, 2001 at 08:37:57 PM EST

I jst personally reviewed all your comments currently rated below one. This one sums up their caliber:

Dear Right Wing nutcase; (0.10 / 19) (#13)
by core10k [Edit User] on Mon Jul 23rd, 2001 at 07:36:07 PM EST

Fuck off. And when you're done fucking off, please die.

You should be thanking me for not archiving these gems.

____
Not the real rusty

I want it! (none / 0) (#24)
by core10k on Sat Dec 22, 2001 at 10:31:39 AM EST

Where's the context? Can you tell why I was saying that? It's gone if the 0 comments are blown away.

Re: (5.00 / 1) (#25)
by Dolgan on Sat Dec 22, 2001 at 10:46:57 AM EST

Yes. I think it's important to save both crap and non-crap.

Keep in mind that when Slashdot decided not to archive <1 posts, they probably felt precisely as people do now on k5 about <1 posts. "-1 and 0 is just crap, anyway." Now look what they've done. Groups.google.com would suck a lot more, I think, if the first spam and first troll posts were deleted. Sure, it'd be an easier read that way, but it's history. It's important to keep all comments, I think, for even more reasons than that.

What Delerium said interests me most, though.

PS: There (still) really needs to be a link back to the story from the "Post Comment" page.

Difference (4.66 / 3) (#26)
by rusty on Sat Dec 22, 2001 at 01:14:01 PM EST

0 is the "unrated" of Slashdot. All anonymous posters post at 0 by default. Dropping 0-rated coments on Slashdot is like if we dropped all unrated comments. It's a bad idea.

Dropping <1-rated comments here is like Slashdot dropping -1-rated comments. I.e. someone had to purposely rate it down, and others had to agree. Given that all of them are approximately like the example above, I have no qualms about losing them. Imnteresting tidbit: there are only 351 such comments right now, in all two years we've been operating.

Oh, and the comment I posted above is the entire comment, and there is no context on this site that would justify that. Sorry, but that's just inappropriate.

____
Not the real rusty

so why drop them? (5.00 / 1) (#27)
by crayz on Sat Dec 22, 2001 at 02:19:38 PM EST

350 comments. what would that be, like 100K of disk space? why delete them? how does the archive become better without them there?

remember, you can only choose to delete them once. if you get rid of them, and 10 years from now you want to see one, I think you'll regret dumping them for that 100K of storage space

Because they're crap (5.00 / 1) (#28)
by rusty on Sat Dec 22, 2001 at 04:30:43 PM EST

It has nothing to do with storage space. I have absolutely no fear that in X years I would wish that some <1-rated comment had been kept. I don't think anyone else who's seen them would either. It's not like slashdot, where acceptable comments end up below the 1-rated line. They are total crap. If you want to see comments like these, just type something insulting or spammy into a text editor and read it. These are not comments that add to the discussion in any way.

You could well ask the same question about stories that get dumped. Those won't be archived either. It's just the way it works -- we have filters to keep some stuff out and allow other stuff in.

____
Not the real rusty

Woo Hoo! (2.00 / 1) (#13)
by no carrier on Fri Dec 21, 2001 at 05:14:48 PM EST

Happy birthday K5/ Happy Hannakawanzmas to all!

and R.I.P. Bubba :(

I stab people.
Cool, but... (3.00 / 1) (#21)
by mudshark on Fri Dec 21, 2001 at 08:59:11 PM EST

...as a k5 newbie I was disappointed that the Blink 182 MP3 is no longer there...

What! (3.00 / 1) (#22)
by rusty on Fri Dec 21, 2001 at 09:29:09 PM EST

It should be. Oh, crap. I see. Try here instead.

____
Not the real rusty
Blink (4.00 / 1) (#23)
by Sven on Fri Dec 21, 2001 at 09:38:29 PM EST

What I fail to see is how this MP3 is any more legal than any other. It's taken straight off the Australian What's My Age Again single. It was part of the Live in LA set that MCA/Universal decided to stretch across an album and two singles as yet another attempt to extort money from the music-loving public. And sadly they got my money, so it must have worked. :(

S

harshbutfair - you know it makes sense

Legal (none / 0) (#30)
by rusty on Thu Dec 27, 2001 at 12:49:27 AM EST

It's not legal. I thought the phrasing "perfectly legal bootleg" would make that clear. Sorry, Blink, I'm a thieving bastard. Well, the amount of money I've spent on their CDs and shows, I don't feel too bad giving away one obscure live cut.

In principle, though, I disagree with sharing copyrighted music. If Hillary Rosen emails me and tells me to knock it off, I will.

____
Not the real rusty

Happy birthday Kuro5hin | 30 comments (29 topical, 1 editorial, 0 hidden)