kuro5hin Reader Survey

By regeya in Meta
Mon Feb 19, 2001 at 10:25:31 AM EST
Tags: Kuro5hin.org (all tags)
Kuro5hin.org

Would you like a clearer picture of the reading and voting habits of your fellow readers? Frustrated by only knowing what a vocal minority really thinks? Help by visiting the kuro5hin Reader Survey. It's a little project I've whipped up to try to answer, once and for all, what sections people really like, dislike, and to get a clearer picture of people's voting and rating habits.

The data collected will be sifted through, analyzed, and posted in distilled form at a later date here on kuro5hin. Rather than cloud your perception of the survey at this time, I'll save explanations for the next installment. For now, make your opinion count! Go now and let yourself be heard! Your survey will be completely anonymous and the data will be used only for the purposes of writing a story on the results.

kuro5hin Reader Survey
o Great idea 34%
o It's okay. 19%
o Don't really care. 13%
o What a dumb idea. 11%
o "KHAAAAAAN!" 21%

o Kuro5hin
o kuro5hin Reader Survey
o Also by regeya

kuro5hin Reader Survey | 12 comments (9 topical, 3 editorial, 0 hidden)
Couple of points (4.33 / 3) (#2)
by Inoshiro on Mon Feb 19, 2001 at 01:51:39 AM EST

For all yes/no questions, you should also have a "maybe" response. For example, the "I read questions in the submission queue" question is yes or no. But sometimes I don't read a posting as indepth as I normally would, simply because of times issues. Instead I'll breeze a quick "don't care," or let it sit unvoted upon.

[ イノシロ ]
Suggestions/Questions. (4.00 / 3) (#3)
by Seumas on Mon Feb 19, 2001 at 01:58:08 AM EST

Question
In the first 'General' section, it is not clear if you're asking for a ranking of each section based on the current content of those sections or based on the section itself. For exampl, Freedom & Politics is a great section to have and I would rank it fairly high, but the average article posted to it would cause me to rank the quality of the content of that section lower.

Suggestions
I think it would be good to add "SPAM" as an option under "I tend to rate editorial/topical comments down on occasion because".

You could add "Possible trolling" as an option under "When voting on stories, I find the following criteria to play a role".

Under the section about why people rate things low, you should probably modify it to indicate how low. For example, I will rate flamebait/trolling/personal attacks down to a 2 or possibly a 1, but not a 0, except for extremely exceptional cases (I would rank spam a 0). So this section would not provide terribly useful results, because "low" tends to be different from person to person, especially since most people don't adhere tightly to the FAQ explanations of scores.
I just read K5 for the articles.

Hehe (4.00 / 3) (#6)
by mystic on Mon Feb 19, 2001 at 05:42:48 AM EST

I like these choices of mine. regeya might want to change that HTML codes a bit. One more thing... how do you plan to counter the possibility of a script being used to submit votes?

Ran into that too (3.00 / 1) (#7)
by 0xdeadbeef on Mon Feb 19, 2001 at 08:30:09 AM EST

Radio buttons within a group should all have the same value for the "name" attribute", but different values for "value". Here is an example.

Heh (5.00 / 1) (#11)
by regeya on Mon Feb 19, 2001 at 09:01:38 PM EST

<I>One more thing...how do you plan to counter the possibility of a script being used to submit votes? </I><P>

There are ways, oh yes. :-)

[ yokelpunk | kuro5hin diary ]

You Forgot a Question (3.00 / 2) (#8)
by the Epopt on Mon Feb 19, 2001 at 10:14:57 AM EST

I have lied extensively in my answers:
o No.
o Maybe.
o Yes.
o Hell, yes.
o Only in this one.
Most people who need to be shot need to be shot soon and a lot.
Very few people need to be shot later or just a little.

K5_Arguing_HOWTO
Gradient answers (4.00 / 1) (#9)
by jabber on Mon Feb 19, 2001 at 10:53:11 AM EST

I tried to fill out the survey, but couldn't in good faith do so. The 'check all that apply' answers, in mane cases, are of variable importance. Will I vote a story down based on grammatical errors? Well, it depends on how bad they are, and on how much additional value there is in the story. If it's well researched but badly spelled, I'd likely vote it up. If it's well written, but devoid of content, I'll vote it down..

These 'check all' questions really ought to be on a 1-5 scale of importance, and their importance varies in relation to the other items. Tough to generalize.

[TINK5C] |"Is K5 my kapusta intellectual teddy bear?"| "Yes"

Fixed, kinda (5.00 / 2) (#10)
by regeya on Mon Feb 19, 2001 at 12:12:45 PM EST

Well, I didn't change any questions around (I didn't change the "check all" to granular questions), but I changed the Yes/No/Maybe questions so they work now. :-} If you took the survey already, you might want to do so again. I'm going to review a sample of the data right now to see if I can even use it. I'm sorry about this, folks. Late night stupidity, all of it.

And yeah, I'll have to say there are probably still some pretty big mistakes...I just caught myself trying to use vi commands just now to edit this text. They don't work so well in a textarea. :-}

[ yokelpunk | kuro5hin diary ]

UPDATE: Poll pulled--data will not be analyzed. (5.00 / 1) (#12)
by regeya on Fri Feb 23, 2001 at 08:19:38 PM EST

I've totally lost interest in kuro5hin for several reasons and will therefore not be analyzing this data. It'd just go down in flames as being senseless navel gazing anyway. :-P

[ yokelpunk | kuro5hin diary ]

kuro5hin Reader Survey | 12 comments (9 topical, 3 editorial, 0 hidden)