Updating the Help/FAQ

By farl in Meta
Tue May 08, 2001 at 04:16:43 AM EST
Tags: Kuro5hin.org (all tags)
Kuro5hin.org

It has been a while since the last update of the help pages and FAQ. A lot has changed since then. In fact, enough has changed since then that I do not want to miss out on any of the changes when I redo the documentation.

So please post comments here about anything that needs to be updated, corrected, added, removed or general whines and moans, so that the update will be as complete as possible.

Please note: This is not an area to request changes, rather to comment on changes that have already happened.

the Help/FAQ
o Is useful 27%
o Is a waste of time 4%
o Needs naked dancing people 67%

o Also by farl

Updating the Help/FAQ | 16 comments (10 topical, 6 editorial, 0 hidden)
I'm confused. (4.00 / 3) (#5)
by elenchos on Mon May 07, 2001 at 03:15:13 PM EST

What changes are we supposed to comment on? Changes that happend since when? If I look at the current state of the FAQ, I don't think I will be able to remember exactly what is different about it, or how long it has been different. Maybe if I had two versions side by side, I could perform this task adequately, but as it is, I feel a little overwhelmed. I think I want a donut, and maybe a mocha. That's how I deal with this kind of stuff at work. Often when you come back from your donut and mocha, the problem has gone away, or the company doesn't exist any more, or it is time to go home for the night.

Also, I'm not sure exactly how to comment on the changes without that in some way being a request for more changes. Owww! I feel a migrane coming on now! The anxiety is mounting and it is all this story's fault!

You watch. I bet I get in trouble for this now...

Say to yourself in the early morning: I shall meet today inquisitive, ungrateful, violent, treacherous, envious, uncharitable men. All these things have

He means changes to scoop since the FAQ went up (5.00 / 1) (#6)
by Carnage4Life on Mon May 07, 2001 at 03:28:39 PM EST

He doesn't mean changes to the FAQ but changes to K5. Stuff like the [new] that shows up besides new comments, the signature behavior dropdown list that shows up on comment postings, the system rusty created that does calculations to determine if a story should be dumped or not once a certain threshold of votes has been reached, diaries, and a bunch of other stuff that I escapes my memory.

Oh... (5.00 / 1) (#8)
by elenchos on Mon May 07, 2001 at 03:34:26 PM EST

...so we would be commenting on how to change the FAQ with regard to changes made in Scoop? So we would be requesting changes in the FAQ, essentially? Farl just doesn't want to hear any requests for changing the site (Scoop features) when he is trying to bring the documentation into compliance with the current state of Scoop. That makes sense.

Still, I'm kind of glad I got a donut anyway.

TINK5C. (3.14 / 7) (#10)
by kwsNI on Mon May 07, 2001 at 04:55:12 PM EST

I do believe we have a K5 Cabal now.

kwsNI
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. -Jack Handy
No, there isn't. (none / 0) (#15)
by Phil Gregory on Wed May 09, 2001 at 10:33:24 AM EST

Statistically speaking, there is no K5 cabal, and any cabal you meet claiming to be the K5 cabal is merely a figment of your deranged imagination.

--Phil (With apologies to Douglas Adams.)
355/113 -- Not the famous irrational number PI, but an incredible simulation!
general whine and moan (3.66 / 3) (#11)
by Kellnerin on Mon May 07, 2001 at 05:15:40 PM EST

On the way to work today I was thinking about k5, and how there should be something in the FAQ about avoiding the word "today" in stories, since they usually spend a day or two in the queue, and by the time they get posted, if they do, "today" is no longer the day in question, and the submission date has been replaced by the posted date. Apologies if this is already in there somewhere ... I just checked the Article Submission section quickly and didn't see anything.

--Stop it, evil hand, stop it!--
the cabal (3.00 / 1) (#12)
by Signal 11 on Tue May 08, 2001 at 12:33:07 AM EST

The REAL K5 cabal consists of only a very small number of members. However there is this growing Bavarian Cabal which is a fake K5 cabal. I think the world needs to know this. Please update the FAQ accordingly.

Society needs therapy. It's having
trouble accepting itself.
New .sig behaviour. (3.66 / 3) (#13)
by Merekat on Tue May 08, 2001 at 07:58:48 AM EST

Document the sticky vs. retroactive sig behaviour.

There's a nice synopsis here you may wish to ask the author to borrow.
I've always had the greatest respect for other peoples crack-pot beliefs.
- Sam the Eagle, The Muppet Show

Don't forget the webby nomination- (2.50 / 2) (#14)
by ramses0 on Tue May 08, 2001 at 11:05:22 AM EST

I now refer to K5 as "my favorite webby-nominated community site" when talking with friends. Even if we don't win, it's still a notable event in K5 history. :^)=

Wow, and it looks like we have "comment preferences" in addition to "display preferences".

--Robert
[ rate all comments , for great justice | sell.com ]

One addition needed (5.00 / 1) (#16)
by dram on Mon May 14, 2001 at 09:12:51 PM EST

I just have one question that the FAQ did not answer for me. How does a submition get to be FP status? How many +1FP votes does a story need to get onto the front page?

-dram
[grant.henninger.name]

Updating the Help/FAQ | 16 comments (10 topical, 6 editorial, 0 hidden)