K5 Needs You to Test bubba!

By rusty in Meta
Mon Aug 06, 2001 at 09:57:51 PM EST
Tags: Kuro5hin.org (all tags)
Kuro5hin.org

At long last, the new K5 server, named "bubba", is up and running. It's set up to run the site, and the final task is getting some load testing and tuning done, so I need your help. Basically, use the test site, at http://bubba.kuro5hin.org, just like you would the regular site. Be warned! Anything you do will be wiped out in a few days when it goes live for real, so don't post anything you care about over there!

So have at it. The only thing I ask is that you not do anything silly like try to packet the machine to death, as that wouldn't really be helpful. Hammering on Scoop is ok, since I want to know how it holds up. This is just a general-use load test. Have fun!

Update [2001-8-6 23:30:50 by rusty]: It's dead temporarily. It seems to have one flaky processor. This happened before too. Should be back up in due time...

Update [2001-8-7 18:26:34 by rusty]: More updates below...

Update [2001-8-7 18:26:34 by rusty]: Well, it appears that CPU #1 is screwy. It keeps generating exceptions when loaded heavily. My man inside Compaq is sending a pair of new ones out overnight, and we're going to temporarily run on 6 (or 4) for testing purposes. It should be back up later today, and back to full 8 processors tomorrow.

Bubba seems
o faster 29%
o slower 7%
o about the same 9%
o like a dumb name for a server 53%

o Scoop
o Kuro5hin
o http://bub ba.kuro5hin.org
o Also by rusty

K5 Needs You to Test bubba! | 51 comments (48 topical, 3 editorial, 0 hidden)
getting faster (4.00 / 2) (#1)
by Net_Fish on Mon Aug 06, 2001 at 06:50:47 PM EST

being one of the first monkies to mess with bubba, it seemed slow after (i qoute)

<rusty> it's probably apache warming up
<rusty> scoop caching stuff

this bubba is a hell of a lot faster than hex by far, i didnt realise how much stuff scoop caches into ram!

Scoop and RAM (4.50 / 2) (#4)
by rusty on Mon Aug 06, 2001 at 07:15:22 PM EST

Yeah, Scoop is really only happy with large amounts of RAM, or a pretty small database. K5 has a fairly large DB, so it needs a lot of memory. Also, mysql runs a lot better with more space to store index caches. Currently, bubba's not even using 1/8th of it's real memory, so I'm going to wait a bit and see how much it seems to top out at.

____
Not the real rusty
db size (4.00 / 2) (#18)
by emmons on Mon Aug 06, 2001 at 11:50:20 PM EST

How big is the K5 database?

In the beginning the universe was created. This has made a lot of people angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
-Douglas Adams

If I remember right... (4.00 / 1) (#23)
by Abstraction on Tue Aug 07, 2001 at 10:46:57 AM EST

just less than 1 gig. But my memory is from irc, so take it with a grain of salt.

Modsub? (3.00 / 2) (#2)
by Jagged on Mon Aug 06, 2001 at 06:59:59 PM EST

Apparently moderation is not available on Bubba. The strange thing is that clicking on http://bubba.kuro5hin.org/modsub logs me out.

Same setup (4.50 / 2) (#5)
by rusty on Mon Aug 06, 2001 at 07:18:24 PM EST

Everything working on k5 is also working on bubba, or is supposed to be. You may have cookie issues, but shouldn't, really. You will need to log in to bubba separately, though.

____
Not the real rusty
Trust issues (3.50 / 2) (#7)
by Jagged on Mon Aug 06, 2001 at 07:53:44 PM EST

It's all my fault.

Bubba is a new kid on the block and I don't take cookies from strangers. After adding it to my "Cookies Only" security zone it worked fine.

(This also got rid of the javascript prompt from the banners I wasn't seeing anymore from the old machine.)

Interesting (5.00 / 4) (#9)
by qpt on Mon Aug 06, 2001 at 08:18:08 PM EST

Hypothetically speaking, could an individual finally crapflood K5 and get away with it?

I think I have discovered the perfect crime.

Domine Deus, creator coeli et terrae respice humilitatem nostram.

I wouldn't. (2.50 / 2) (#10)
by Inoshiro on Mon Aug 06, 2001 at 08:29:47 PM EST

All K5 servers use the same basic set of ipchains rules.. leading to some fun blackholeage :p

[ イノシロ ]
Nah (4.00 / 2) (#11)
by rusty on Mon Aug 06, 2001 at 08:39:09 PM EST

C'mon, it's all going away anyway. I say, if you ever had then urge to crapflood k5, have at it on bubba, and get it out of your system.

____
Not the real rusty
Fine, fine.. (3.50 / 2) (#14)
by Inoshiro on Mon Aug 06, 2001 at 09:08:07 PM EST

You're such a tasty bitch somedays, you know that? (Yes, that is tasty as in lick-chew-eat)

[ イノシロ ]
Wrong server (4.00 / 2) (#15)
by spacejack on Mon Aug 06, 2001 at 11:01:46 PM EST

You're looking for http://bubba.kuro5hin.org.

I sincerely hope so. (3.00 / 3) (#12)
by garlic on Mon Aug 06, 2001 at 08:51:27 PM EST

If not, there will not be many more postings from ucblockhead, theboz, and a few others (including me...)

HUSI challenge: post 4 troll diaries on husi without being outed as a Kuron, or having the diaries deleted or moved by admins.

I think I've found a problem with bubba (4.00 / 3) (#13)
by momocrome on Mon Aug 06, 2001 at 09:01:58 PM EST

There seems to be a problem with the hotlist function...

I added some front page stories to my user hotlist, and when the page refreshes, no stories show up. The graphics, sections menu, side bars (left and right) all display correctly, but no stories are displayed.

This feature/function seems to work correctly on hex, that is to say, after adding a hotlist entry from a section, the stories of that section appear after the hotlist entry is updated and the page is re-sent.

I have about 20 entries in my hotlist on bubba, I'm not sure if that's a problem or not...

"Give a wide berth to all that foam and spray." - - Lucian, The Way to Write History

this happens for me on hex (3.00 / 1) (#19)
by danimal on Mon Aug 06, 2001 at 11:50:45 PM EST

but since i just started using the hotlist i only noticed it recently.

-d

damb (4.00 / 2) (#34)
by momocrome on Tue Aug 07, 2001 at 07:04:08 PM EST

must be a problem with too many hotlist selections or maybe the refreshing of particular sections... thing is, hex is a bit to slow during the day to comprehensively volunteer my testing skills.

Sorry for wasting anyone's time on this. I will explore the bug when bubba goes up for real and report my findings to scoop and/or investigate if this is a known problem later on today. I just thought perhaps some linking involving the Db and the different subdomain might be hosed and thought I should mention it.

Hmmm (3.00 / 1) (#35)
by rusty on Tue Aug 07, 2001 at 08:36:11 PM EST

Several people in #scoop tested it out, and I tri8ed it on a couple accounts, both with and without pre-existing hotlists, and we couldn't get it to fail.

More info about the exact conditions would help, and if you have some particular action or set of actions that reliably makes it not work, that too.

____
Not the real rusty

it's down (2.00 / 1) (#16)
by emmons on Mon Aug 06, 2001 at 11:34:23 PM EST

Bubba seems to have suffered a severe heart attack. Tell him not to eat so many fatty ram sandwiches.

-Douglas Adams

We killed it by posting too many stories huh? (2.00 / 1) (#17)
by sexyblonde on Mon Aug 06, 2001 at 11:39:37 PM EST

I think we were @ 34 subs when it crashed.

Bubba fall down (4.50 / 2) (#20)
by spacejack on Mon Aug 06, 2001 at 11:56:52 PM EST

Damn, I was having fun there. It was turning into a kind of K5 trolltalk. I say switch k5 over to the bubba server, and then move "bubba" itself onto the old one. Writers so courageous could also use it as a draft queue for k5 proper.

I think that sounds like a great idea!! (1.00 / 1) (#21)
by sexyblonde on Tue Aug 07, 2001 at 12:12:20 AM EST

I think there answer regarding that is it will defeat the purpose of having #kuro5shin for chatting. I personally would much rather chat here than have to log into mirc and join #kuro5shin.

#k5 (3.00 / 1) (#22)
by Abstraction on Tue Aug 07, 2001 at 10:42:16 AM EST

Chatting via irc is much easier than chatting via a browser. I don't know about most people, but the less pointing and clicking I have to do the better.

Yes, for most people chatting is easier on mirc (1.00 / 1) (#25)
by sexyblonde on Tue Aug 07, 2001 at 11:54:05 AM EST

But it's kind of hard to submit short stories to the channel #kuro5hin. Wouldn't that be considered flooding? I think the idea is to combine the chat & story submission sections. The easiest way to do this is through a web browser.

mirc is a CLIENT, irc is the system/protocol (3.00 / 1) (#26)
by boxed on Tue Aug 07, 2001 at 12:13:24 PM EST

Don't mistake mIRC for IRC.. I know mIRC is the most used client but if that had any importance it'd be "Internet explorer" instead of "world wide web".

I understand the difference (1.00 / 1) (#28)
by sexyblonde on Tue Aug 07, 2001 at 12:19:24 PM EST

and I use both Mirc (Windows Client) and Irc (Unix Client).

Are you sure? [n/t] (5.00 / 1) (#32)
by fluffy grue on Tue Aug 07, 2001 at 03:54:09 PM EST

"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

Here' s more info on irc (none / 0) (#46)
by sexyblonde on Thu Aug 09, 2001 at 05:58:38 PM EST

IRC is the internet's 'chat' protocol, allowing people to have real-time public discussions on subject-specific channels.

There are thousands of irc clients our there that you can use for your particular o.s. Depending on which one your running.

Yes, Mirc is one client that I mentioned which is Windows based. Now if your talking about a chat through the world wide web you could go to talk city/EZ talk which is web based.

it's still not called Mirc! (none / 0) (#47)
by boxed on Fri Aug 10, 2001 at 05:31:17 AM EST

It's mIRC, and stop trying to correct me so you look better.

o.k. is spelled with a lower case m. (none / 0) (#48)
by sexyblonde on Fri Aug 10, 2001 at 11:08:20 AM EST

You look better than me :-(

#kuro5shin (3.00 / 1) (#24)
by ODiV on Tue Aug 07, 2001 at 11:52:40 AM EST

I'd much rather chat here, too.

Every time I go to #kuro5shin, there's no one around...

[ odiv.net ]
nobody around? (none / 0) (#31)
by fluffy grue on Tue Aug 07, 2001 at 03:49:18 PM EST

*>* You have joined channel #kuro5hin
*T* Topic for #kuro5hin: Radio Shack: You've got questions, we've got blank stares. || Test our new box! http://bubba.kuro5hin.org/
*T* Topic for #kuro5hin set by Inoshiro_away on Mon Aug 6 17:56:45 2001
*#* Users on #kuro5hin: magenta bc_ @Farl oberon Dolgan Quotebot sig11_away mdxi panner pqbon Captain_Tenille justinfinity acestus delmoi zalasta bc ODiV @dogfood danimal harb Jukor hariya mind21_98 bcc zorg Nista your_mom Blueshade Kaickul Maarken eLiterate Pre FunkyShyte opivy ZeroSys Cobain mikael_j beefboy kripke qpx qp @Net_Fish CptVipeR rusty_sleep shaggy legolas @Inoshiro_away danp ocelot codewolf zal Stat-bot phunbalanced @drdink @whafro Nugget Gandalf-lurking Shalrath MattW AArthur zed zavyman tokage jeff
*** #kuro5hin : created Wed Jan 24 14:49:36 2001
<magenta> bla
*<* Signoff: bc (Connection reset by peer)<br> <ODiV> So I was looking at cars, and there's a Sunfire for 12k, and an olds (um... crap... I forget) for 16k... both '99 (CDN)
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

nobody around. (3.00 / 1) (#33)
by ODiV on Tue Aug 07, 2001 at 05:28:16 PM EST

I was talking about #kuro5shin not #kuro5hin :)

it was a joke. A bad one, sure...

[ odiv.net ]
Ah (none / 0) (#36)
by fluffy grue on Tue Aug 07, 2001 at 09:06:32 PM EST

Your humor is just too subtle for me.
"Is not a quine" is not a quine.
I have a master's degree in science!

[ Hug Your Trikuare ]

The poll (3.50 / 2) (#27)
by wiredog on Tue Aug 07, 2001 at 12:17:39 PM EST

Since Bubba is down, it's infinitely slower.

If there's a choice between performance and ease of use, Linux will go for performance every time. -- Jerry Pournelle
ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuusty!!!! (3.50 / 2) (#29)
by el_guapo on Tue Aug 07, 2001 at 12:27:54 PM EST

is the bad CPU thing for real!? Read your email! (I can have a care package overnighted TODAY)
mas cerveza, por favor mirrors, manifestos, etc.
Please tell me... (3.00 / 1) (#30)
by DesiredUsername on Tue Aug 07, 2001 at 02:33:09 PM EST

...that the "no route to host" that I'm getting is because it's been down long enough to have disappeared from the routing tables and NOT that K5 is about to go the way of Giz.

Play 囲碁
Recess! (4.00 / 1) (#37)
by DesiredUsername on Tue Aug 07, 2001 at 09:49:25 PM EST

Damn, I love that new server. Oh yeah, it's faster than a bag of chips--but that's not why I love it so. It's consequence-free queue and comments has made posting fun again! Wheeeee!

Play 囲碁
Bubba specs (3.50 / 2) (#38)
by emmons on Wed Aug 08, 2001 at 02:15:58 AM EST

Hey Rusty... can you fill us in on what bubba is? We know he's a BIG Compaq server, but would you tell us how many processors he has (or is supposed to), how fast they are, how much ram and of what type, hard drive space, scsi type, etc. etc. etc.

You know, the important stuff.

-Douglas Adams

Bubba Specs (3.00 / 1) (#39)
by danimal on Wed Aug 08, 2001 at 06:43:53 AM EST

Rusty had the model and lovely link in his diary about why K5 was so slow.

Basically it is a Compaq Proliant 8000 with 8 procs (I think he said ~500MHZ as opposed to the 733MHZ though on IRC the other day).

those are the only specs I know so far. I would love to see a section in the FAQ that describes the machines and as pictures of them.

-danimal

bubba specs (3.50 / 2) (#40)
by emmons on Wed Aug 08, 2001 at 12:20:24 PM EST

Yeah, I knew that, I was hoping for more specs than that and hopefully some pretty pictures to drool at :)

-Douglas Adams

specs (none / 0) (#44)
by Net_Fish on Wed Aug 08, 2001 at 10:01:26 PM EST

8 way p3 550 xeon
4 gb ECC ram
53gb raid5 on a compaq smart array controller

Hmmmm... (3.00 / 1) (#41)
by CaptainZornchugger on Wed Aug 08, 2001 at 02:38:26 PM EST

bubba doesn't seem to email passwords. Is that a problem?

Look at that chord structure. There's sadness in that chord structure.
Possible bug? (3.00 / 1) (#42)
by baberg on Wed Aug 08, 2001 at 02:40:42 PM EST

I'm not entirely sure about this, but I think that bubba is having trouble counting the words in articles. And I'm not talking about off-by-one errors, either. In this aritcle, bubba says that there are 1,346 words. Pasting the story into Word and doing a quick count turns up that there are only about 265, and around 1,386 characters.

However, this problem is not across-the-board. The word count is correctly reported here.

Is this a known issue or not? Also, I've found that on Bubba sometimes it will count information in the intro copy, and sometimes not. If this is already known to be a bug/feature, that's fine. If not, then WTF is going on?

not really (none / 0) (#45)
by Defect on Thu Aug 09, 2001 at 01:29:52 PM EST

scoop splits at whitespace to count the number of words, if you check the source of that page you'll see there's a load of whitespace left over from copy/pasting or whatever, and that's where the padded word count comes from.
defect - jso - joseth || a link
mkay (3.00 / 1) (#43)
by el_guapo on Wed Aug 08, 2001 at 03:52:50 PM EST

8 450Mhz (cough) 2MB cache Xeons, 4 Gigs of RAM, 7 x 9.1GB external RAID5 array, redundant goes-in and goes-out CPU fans (2 in the front blow air in, 2 in the back blow air out, and they're inline thus redundant), redundant internal expansion slot fans (all the fans are hot-swappable BTW), hot-swap PCI slots, dual PCI busses, and if Ino can swing it it'll have a GigE dedicated connection to Hex.
mas cerveza, por favor mirrors, manifestos, etc.
Bubba is down !! 8/12/01 6:27 (4.00 / 1) (#49)
by sexyblonde on Sun Aug 12, 2001 at 09:21:03 PM EST

God darn it!!

gasp (5.00 / 2) (#50)
by el_guapo on Mon Aug 13, 2001 at 04:06:47 PM EST

note to self: quit following links from k5 user sigs....
mas cerveza, por favor mirrors, manifestos, etc.
I'm sorry (none / 0) (#51)
by sexyblonde on Tue Aug 14, 2001 at 02:06:35 AM EST

I changed my sig. Is this one better?

K5 Needs You to Test bubba! | 51 comments (48 topical, 3 editorial, 0 hidden)